Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: K14
Description: keratin 14
Alias: AI626930, CK-14, K14, Krt-1.14, Krt1-14, keratin, type I cytoskeletal 14, cytokeratin 14, keratin complex 1, acidic, gene 14
- Wu X, Ferrara C, Shapiro E, Grishina I. Bmp7 expression and null phenotype in the urogenital system suggest a role in re-organization of the urethral epithelium. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:224-30 pubmed publisher..Together, our analysis of Bmp7 expression and the null phenotype, indicates that Bmp7 may play an important role in re-organization of the epithelium during cloacal septation and morphogenesis of the genital tubercle...
- Mills A, Zheng B, Wang X, Vogel H, Roop D, Bradley A. p63 is a p53 homologue required for limb and epidermal morphogenesis. Nature. 1999;398:708-13 pubmed..Thus, in contrast to p53, p63 is essential for several aspects of ectodermal differentiation during embryogenesis...
- Vidal V, Chaboissier M, Lützkendorf S, Cotsarelis G, Mill P, Hui C, et al. Sox9 is essential for outer root sheath differentiation and the formation of the hair stem cell compartment. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1340-51 pubmed..Our genetic analysis places Sox9 in a molecular cascade downstream of sonic hedgehog and suggests that this gene is involved in basal cell carcinoma. ..
- Smyth I, Hacking D, Hilton A, Mukhamedova N, Meikle P, Ellis S, et al. A mouse model of harlequin ichthyosis delineates a key role for Abca12 in lipid homeostasis. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000192 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we identify Abca12 as a mediator of Abca1-regulated cellular cholesterol efflux, a finding that may have significant implications for other diseases of lipid metabolism and homeostasis, including atherosclerosis...
- Romano R, Ortt K, Birkaya B, Smalley K, Sinha S. An active role of the DeltaN isoform of p63 in regulating basal keratin genes K5 and K14 and directing epidermal cell fate. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5623 pubmed publisher..of the basal keratinocytes of the stratified epithelium is the expression of the keratin genes K5 and K14. The temporal and spatial expression of these two genes is usually tightly and coordinately regulated at the ..
- Driskell R, Giangreco A, Jensen K, Mulder K, Watt F. Sox2-positive dermal papilla cells specify hair follicle type in mammalian epidermis. Development. 2009;136:2815-23 pubmed publisher..We have thus demonstrated a previously unrecognised heterogeneity in dermal papilla cells and shown that Sox2-positive cells specify particular hair follicle types. ..
- Lu H, Hesse M, Peters B, Magin T. Type II keratins precede type I keratins during early embryonic development. Eur J Cell Biol. 2005;84:709-18 pubmed..At E0.5, transcripts encoding K5, K6, K7, K8, K14, K15, K18, and K19 are apparently absent...
- Chiang C, Swan R, Grachtchouk M, Bolinger M, Litingtung Y, Robertson E, et al. Essential role for Sonic hedgehog during hair follicle morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 1999;205:1-9 pubmed..Our findings reveal an essential role for Shh during hair follicle morphogenesis, where it is required for normal advancement beyond the hair germ stage of development...
- Abdalkhani A, Sellers R, Gent J, Wulitich H, Childress S, Stein B, et al. Nipple connective tissue and its development: insights from the K14-PTHrP mouse. Mech Dev. 2002;115:63-77 pubmedParathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) regulates a wide variety of developmental processes. Keratin 14 (K14) promoter-mediated overexpression of PTHrP in the epidermis during development converts the entire murine ventral skin to ..
- Vaziri Sani F, Kaartinen V, El Shahawy M, Linde A, Gritli Linde A. Developmental changes in cellular and extracellular structural macromolecules in the secondary palate and in the nasal cavity of the mouse. Eur J Oral Sci. 2010;118:221-36 pubmed publisher..The hitherto-unknown innervation pattern of the developing palate was revealed. These findings may be of value for unravelling the pathogenesis of palatal clefting. ..
- Mailleux A, Overholtzer M, Schmelzle T, Bouillet P, Strasser A, Brugge J. BIM regulates apoptosis during mammary ductal morphogenesis, and its absence reveals alternative cell death mechanisms. Dev Cell. 2007;12:221-34 pubmed..These data provide important mechanistic information on the processes involved in sculpting the mammary gland and demonstrate that BIM is a critical regulator of apoptosis in vivo. ..
- Tong X, Coulombe P. Keratin 17 modulates hair follicle cycling in a TNFalpha-dependent fashion. Genes Dev. 2006;20:1353-64 pubmed..These findings identify K17 and TNFalpha as two novel and interdependent regulators of hair cycling. ..
- Fujiwara H, Ferreira M, Donati G, MARCIANO D, Linton J, Sato Y, et al. The basement membrane of hair follicle stem cells is a muscle cell niche. Cell. 2011;144:577-89 pubmed publisher..Thus, bulge stem cells, via nephronectin expression, create a smooth muscle cell niche and act as tendon cells for the APM. Our results reveal a functional role for basement membrane heterogeneity in tissue patterning. PAPERCLIP: ..
- DePianto D, Kerns M, Dlugosz A, Coulombe P. Keratin 17 promotes epithelial proliferation and tumor growth by polarizing the immune response in skin. Nat Genet. 2010;42:910-4 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish an immunomodulatory role for Krt17 in Hh driven basaloid skin tumors that could impact additional tumor settings, psoriasis and wound repair. ..
- Estrach S, Cordes R, Hozumi K, Gossler A, Watt F. Role of the Notch ligand Delta1 in embryonic and adult mouse epidermis. J Invest Dermatol. 2008;128:825-32 pubmed..These results demonstrate that Dll1 contributes to the control of proliferation and differentiation in IFE, whereas Jagged1 regulates hair follicle differentiation...
- Wiradjaja F, Cottle D, Jones L, Smyth I. Regulation of PDGFC signalling and extracellular matrix composition by FREM1 in mice. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:1426-33 pubmed publisher..We propose that loss of FREM1 function promotes epidermal blistering in Fraser syndrome as a consequence of reduced PDGFC activity, in addition to its stabilising role in the basement membrane. ..
- Huang J, Dattilo L, Rajagopal R, Liu Y, Kaartinen V, Mishina Y, et al. FGF-regulated BMP signaling is required for eyelid closure and to specify conjunctival epithelial cell fate. Development. 2009;136:1741-50 pubmed publisher..A second row of eyelashes is a feature of human lymphedema-distichiasis syndrome, which is associated with mutations in FOXC2...
- Zhou P, Byrne C, Jacobs J, Fuchs E. Lymphoid enhancer factor 1 directs hair follicle patterning and epithelial cell fate. Genes Dev. 1995;9:700-13 pubmed..Collectively, our findings demonstrate that ectodermal expression of LEF-1 plays a central role in gene expression, pattern formation, and other developmental processes involving epithelial-mesenchymal associations. ..
- Jaubert J, Cheng J, Segre J. Ectopic expression of kruppel like factor 4 (Klf4) accelerates formation of the epidermal permeability barrier. Development. 2003;130:2767-77 pubmed..These studies show that KLF4 regulates barrier acquisition and provides an animal model for studying how to accelerate the process of barrier acquisition for the premature infant. ..
- Bernot K, Coulombe P, McGowan K. Keratin 16 expression defines a subset of epithelial cells during skin morphogenesis and the hair cycle. J Invest Dermatol. 2002;119:1137-49 pubmed
- Sato H, Koide T, Sagai T, Ishiguro S, Tamai M, Saitou N, et al. The genomic organization of type I keratin genes in mice. Genomics. 1999;56:303-9 pubmed
- Laurikkala J, Pispa J, Jung H, Nieminen P, Mikkola M, Wang X, et al. Regulation of hair follicle development by the TNF signal ectodysplasin and its receptor Edar. Development. 2002;129:2541-53 pubmed..In conclusion, we suggest that Eda and Edar are associated with the onset of ectodermal patterning and that ectodysplasin/edar signaling also regulates the morphogenesis of hair follicles. ..
- Kurita T, Cunha G, Robboy S, Mills A, Medina R. Differential expression of p63 isoforms in female reproductive organs. Mech Dev. 2005;122:1043-55 pubmed..Therefore, inhibition of p63 expression by DES should change the cell fate of human Müllerian duct epithelial cells and cause cervical/vaginal adenosis as previously demonstrated in mouse. ..
- Knapp B, Rentrop M, Schweizer J, Winter H. Three cDNA sequences of mouse type I keratins. Cellular localization of the mRNAs in normal and hyperproliferative tissues. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:938-45 pubmed..The discriminatory efficacy of this technique is further emphasized by the demonstration that the mRNA for a 50-kDa keratin is present not only in hyperproliferative epithelia, but also in normal cells of hair follicles. ..
- Liu B, Liu Y, Du Y, Mardaryev A, Yang W, Chen H, et al. Cbx4 regulates the proliferation of thymic epithelial cells and thymus function. Development. 2013;140:780-8 pubmed publisher..Together, these data establish Cbx4 as a crucial regulator for the generation and maintenance of the thymic epithelium and, hence, for thymocyte development...
- Stoler A, Kopan R, Duvic M, Fuchs E. Use of monospecific antisera and cRNA probes to localize the major changes in keratin expression during normal and abnormal epidermal differentiation. J Cell Biol. 1988;107:427-46 pubmed..of three antisera, each of which is specific for a single keratin from one of the three different pairs (K1/K10, K14/K5, K16/K6) that are differentially expressed in normal human epidermis and in epidermal diseases of ..
- Chen D, Jarrell A, Guo C, Lang R, Atit R. Dermal ?-catenin activity in response to epidermal Wnt ligands is required for fibroblast proliferation and hair follicle initiation. Development. 2012;139:1522-33 pubmed publisher..These data reveal functional roles for dermal Wnt signaling/?-catenin in fibroblast proliferation and in the epidermal hair follicle initiation program. ..
- Byrne C, Tainsky M, Fuchs E. Programming gene expression in developing epidermis. Development. 1994;120:2369-83 pubmed..Specifically, we have discovered that (1) basal keratin (K5 and K14) genes are first detected at E9...
- Kurpakus M, Maniaci M, Esco M. Expression of keratins K12, K4 and K14 during development of ocular surface epithelium. Curr Eye Res. 1994;13:805-14 pubmed..Expression of the 50 kDa 'basal-type' keratin K14 was also examined in this study...
- Matsuki M, Yamashita F, Ishida Yamamoto A, Yamada K, Kinoshita C, Fushiki S, et al. Defective stratum corneum and early neonatal death in mice lacking the gene for transglutaminase 1 (keratinocyte transglutaminase). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:1044-9 pubmed..Thus, these TGase 1 knockout mice may be a useful model for severe cases of LI. ..
- Okubo T, Clark C, Hogan B. Cell lineage mapping of taste bud cells and keratinocytes in the mouse tongue and soft palate. Stem Cells. 2009;27:442-50 pubmed publisher..Here, we make use of a tamoxifen-inducible K14-CreER transgene and the ROSA26 LacZ reporter allele to lineage trace the mature keratinocytes and taste bud cells ..
- Xu Y, Reboulet R, Quinn B, Huelsken J, Witte D, Grabowski G. Dependence of reversibility and progression of mouse neuronopathic Gaucher disease on acid beta-glucosidase residual activity levels. Mol Genet Metab. 2008;94:190-203 pubmed publisher..The persistent CNS deterioration, histologic abnormalities, and glucosylceramide storage in the CBE-treated D409V mice revealed a threshold level of GCase activity necessary for the prevention of progression of CNS involvement. ..
- Tanifuji Terai N, Terai K, Hayashi Y, Chikama T, Kao W. Expression of keratin 12 and maturation of corneal epithelium during development and postnatal growth. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:545-51 pubmed..Expression patterns of keratin (K)12 and K14 were determined in mouse embryos (embryonic days [E]15.5-19...
- Blanpain C, Lowry W, Pasolli H, Fuchs E. Canonical notch signaling functions as a commitment switch in the epidermal lineage. Genes Dev. 2006;20:3022-35 pubmed
- Romano R, Birkaya B, Sinha S. A functional enhancer of keratin14 is a direct transcriptional target of deltaNp63. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127:1175-86 pubmedKeratin14 (K14) is a prototypic marker of dividing basal keratinocytes where its gene is transcribed at high levels...
- Koster M, Dai D, Marinari B, Sano Y, Costanzo A, Karin M, et al. p63 induces key target genes required for epidermal morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:3255-60 pubmed..Our data provide insights into the role of DeltaNp63alpha in epidermal morphogenesis and homeostasis, and may contribute to our understanding of the pathogenic mechanisms underlying disorders caused by p63 mutations. ..
- Kerns M, DePianto D, Dinkova Kostova A, Talalay P, Coulombe P. Reprogramming of keratin biosynthesis by sulforaphane restores skin integrity in epidermolysis bullosa simplex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:14460-5 pubmed..Most cases of EBS are due to mutations in the keratin 5 or 14 gene (K5 and K14), whose products copolymerize to form intermediate filaments in basal keratinocytes...
- Ezratty E, Stokes N, Chai S, Shah A, Williams S, Fuchs E. A role for the primary cilium in Notch signaling and epidermal differentiation during skin development. Cell. 2011;145:1129-41 pubmed publisher..These findings unveil temporally and spatially distinct functions for primary cilia at the nexus of signaling, proliferation, and differentiation. ..
- Nijhof J, Braun K, Giangreco A, van Pelt C, Kawamoto H, Boyd R, et al. The cell-surface marker MTS24 identifies a novel population of follicular keratinocytes with characteristics of progenitor cells. Development. 2006;133:3027-37 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that the cell-surface marker MTS24 identifies a new reservoir of hair follicle keratinocytes with a proliferative capacity and gene expression profile suggestive of progenitor or stem cells. ..
- McGowan K, Coulombe P. Onset of keratin 17 expression coincides with the definition of major epithelial lineages during skin development. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:469-86 pubmed..The pattern of K17 gene expression during development has direct implications for the morphogenesis of skin epithelia, and points to the existence of a molecular relationship between development and wound repair. ..
- Dunbar M, Dann P, Robinson G, Hennighausen L, Zhang J, Wysolmerski J. Parathyroid hormone-related protein signaling is necessary for sexual dimorphism during embryonic mammary development. Development. 1999;126:3485-93 pubmed..We propose that PTHrP expression specifically within the developing epithelial bud acts as a dominant signal participating in cell fate decisions leading to a specialized mammary mesenchyme. ..
- Dassule H, Lewis P, Bei M, Maas R, McMahon A. Sonic hedgehog regulates growth and morphogenesis of the tooth. Development. 2000;127:4775-85 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that Shh regulates growth and determines the shape of the tooth. However, Shh signaling is not essential for differentiation of ameloblasts or odontoblasts. ..
- Guttormsen J, Koster M, Stevens J, Roop D, Williams T, Winger Q. Disruption of epidermal specific gene expression and delayed skin development in AP-2 gamma mutant mice. Dev Biol. 2008;317:187-95 pubmed publisher..Sentence: Conditional ablation of AP-2 gamma results in a delay in skin development and abnormal expression of p63, K14, K1, filaggrin, repetin and secreted Ly6/Plaur domain containing 1, key genes required for epidermal development ..
- Huelsken J, Vogel R, Erdmann B, Cotsarelis G, Birchmeier W. beta-Catenin controls hair follicle morphogenesis and stem cell differentiation in the skin. Cell. 2001;105:533-45 pubmed..Further analysis demonstrates that beta-catenin is essential for fate decisions of skin stem cells: in the absence of beta-catenin, stem cells fail to differentiate into follicular keratinocytes, but instead adopt an epidermal fate. ..
- Gebhardt A, Kosan C, Herkert B, Moroy T, Lutz W, Eilers M, et al. Miz1 is required for hair follicle structure and hair morphogenesis. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2586-93 pubmed..we have conditionally knocked out the POZ/BTB transactivation domain of Miz1 in keratinocytes using a keratin 14 (K14)-Cre mouse deleter strain...
- Suzuki K, Haraguchi R, Ogata T, Barbieri O, Alegria O, Vieux Rochas M, et al. Abnormal urethra formation in mouse models of split-hand/split-foot malformation type 1 and type 4. Eur J Hum Genet. 2008;16:36-44 pubmed..These results suggest that different genes associated with human SHFM could also be involved in the aetiogenesis of hypospadias pointing toward a common molecular origin of these congenital malformations. ..
- Jonker L, Kist R, Aw A, Wappler I, Peters H. Pax9 is required for filiform papilla development and suppresses skin-specific differentiation of the mammalian tongue epithelium. Mech Dev. 2004;121:1313-22 pubmed..Together, our findings show that Pax9 regulates appendage formation in the mammalian tongue and identify Pax9 as an important factor for the region-specific differentiation of the surface ectoderm. ..
- Collins C, Watt F. Dynamic regulation of retinoic acid-binding proteins in developing, adult and neoplastic skin reveals roles for beta-catenin and Notch signalling. Dev Biol. 2008;324:55-67 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that there is dynamic regulation of RA signalling in different regions of the skin and provide evidence for interactions between the RA, beta-catenin and Notch pathways. ..
- Mill P, Mo R, Hu M, Dagnino L, Rosenblum N, Hui C. Shh controls epithelial proliferation via independent pathways that converge on N-Myc. Dev Cell. 2005;9:293-303 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that Shh signaling controls the rapid and patterned expansion of epithelial progenitors through convergent Gli-mediated regulation. ..
- Clavel C, Grisanti L, Zemla R, Rezza A, Barros R, Sennett R, et al. Sox2 in the dermal papilla niche controls hair growth by fine-tuning BMP signaling in differentiating hair shaft progenitors. Dev Cell. 2012;23:981-94 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data identify Sox2 as a key regulator of hair growth that controls progenitor migration by fine-tuning BMP-mediated mesenchymal-epithelial crosstalk...
- Fantauzzo K, Kurban M, Levy B, Christiano A. Trps1 and its target gene Sox9 regulate epithelial proliferation in the developing hair follicle and are associated with hypertrichosis. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003002 pubmed publisher..Our findings uncover a novel transcriptional hierarchy that regulates epithelial proliferation in the developing hair follicle and contributes to the pathology of hypertrichosis...
- Kurita T, Medina R, Mills A, Cunha G. Role of p63 and basal cells in the prostate. Development. 2004;131:4955-64 pubmed..However, regressed p63(-/-) prostate did regenerate in response to androgen administration, indicating that basal cells were not essential for prostatic regeneration. ..
- Adolphe C, Hetherington R, Ellis T, Wainwright B. Patched1 functions as a gatekeeper by promoting cell cycle progression. Cancer Res. 2006;66:2081-8 pubmed..quot; In addition, we note the high frequency and rapid onset of tumors in this mouse model makes it an ideal system for testing therapeutic strategies, such as Patched pathway inhibitors. ..
- Peng X, Xu P, Chen M, Hahn Windgassen A, Skeen J, Jacobs J, et al. Dwarfism, impaired skin development, skeletal muscle atrophy, delayed bone development, and impeded adipogenesis in mice lacking Akt1 and Akt2. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1352-65 pubmed
- Li C, Guo H, Xu X, Weinberg W, Deng C. Fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (Fgfr2) plays an important role in eyelid and skin formation and patterning. Dev Dyn. 2001;222:471-83 pubmed..Notably, mutant skin remains thin with decreased hair density after transplantation to wild-type recipients. These data demonstrate an essential role of Fgfr2 in eyelid and skin formation and patterning. ..
- Van Keymeulen A, Mascre G, Youseff K, Harel I, Michaux C, De Geest N, et al. Epidermal progenitors give rise to Merkel cells during embryonic development and adult homeostasis. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:91-100 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that MCs arise from the epidermis by an Atoh1-dependent mechanism and opens new avenues for study of MC functions in sensory perception, neuroendocrine signaling, and MC carcinoma. ..
- DeMonte L, Porcellini S, Tafi E, Sheridan J, Gordon J, Depreter M, et al. EVA regulates thymic stromal organisation and early thymocyte development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;356:334-40 pubmed..Collectively, these data suggest a role for EVA in structural organisation of the thymus and early lymphocyte development. ..
- Porter R, Hutcheson A, Rugg E, Quinlan R, Lane E. cDNA cloning, expression, and assembly characteristics of mouse keratin 16. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:32265-72 pubmed..Rather, these data implicate the tail domain of K16 as the more likely protein domain that determines the unique functions. ..
- List K, Szabo R, Wertz P, Segre J, Haudenschild C, Kim S, et al. Loss of proteolytically processed filaggrin caused by epidermal deletion of Matriptase/MT-SP1. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:901-10 pubmed..The data identify keratinocyte Matriptase/MT-SP1 as an essential component of the profilaggrin-processing pathway and a key regulator of terminal epidermal differentiation. ..
- Martinez P, Flores J, Blasco M. 53BP1 deficiency combined with telomere dysfunction activates ATR-dependent DNA damage response. J Cell Biol. 2012;197:283-300 pubmed publisher..In intact mice, combined 53BP1/TRF1 deficiency in stratified epithelia resulted in earlier onset of DNA damage and increased CHK1 phosphorylation during embryonic development, leading to aggravation of skin phenotypes. ..