Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Jag2
Description: jagged 2
Alias: D12Ggc2e, Serh, mJagged2-1, protein jagged-2, syndactylism
- Casey L, Lan Y, Cho E, Maltby K, Gridley T, Jiang R. Jag2-Notch1 signaling regulates oral epithelial differentiation and palate development. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1830-44 pubmed..We previously reported that mice deficient in Jag2, which encodes a cell surface ligand for the Notch family receptors, have cleft palate associated with palate-..
- Robert Moreno A, Guiu J, Ruiz Herguido C, López M, Inglés Esteve J, Riera L, et al. Impaired embryonic haematopoiesis yet normal arterial development in the absence of the Notch ligand Jagged1. EMBO J. 2008;27:1886-95 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that Jagged1-mediated activation of Notch1 is responsible for regulating GATA2 expression in the AGM, which in turn is essential for definitive haematopoiesis in the mouse. ..
- Robert Moreno A, Espinosa L, de la Pompa J, Bigas A. RBPjkappa-dependent Notch function regulates Gata2 and is essential for the formation of intra-embryonic hematopoietic cells. Development. 2005;132:1117-26 pubmed..Taken together, these data strongly suggest that activation of Gata2 expression by Notch1/RBPjkappa is a crucial event for the onset of definitive hematopoiesis in the embryo. ..
- Norgaard G, Jensen J, Jensen J. FGF10 signaling maintains the pancreatic progenitor cell state revealing a novel role of Notch in organ development. Dev Biol. 2003;264:323-38 pubmed..These data suggest that FGF10 signaling serves to integrate cell growth and terminal differentiation at the level of Notch activation, revealing a novel second role of this key signaling system during pancreatic development. ..
- Mitsiadis T, Graf D, Luder H, Gridley T, Bluteau G. BMPs and FGFs target Notch signalling via jagged 2 to regulate tooth morphogenesis and cytodifferentiation. Development. 2010;137:3025-35 pubmed publisher..We have analysed the expression, regulation and function of the jagged 2 (Jag2) gene, which encodes a ligand for the Notch family of receptors, in developing mouse teeth...
- Richardson R, Dixon J, Jiang R, Dixon M. Integration of IRF6 and Jagged2 signalling is essential for controlling palatal adhesion and fusion competence. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:2632-42 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that IRF6 plays a key role in the formation and maintenance of the oral periderm, spatio-temporal regulation of which is essential for ensuring appropriate palatal adhesion. ..
- Nelson B, Hartman B, Ray C, Hayashi T, Bermingham McDonogh O, Reh T. Acheate-scute like 1 (Ascl1) is required for normal delta-like (Dll) gene expression and notch signaling during retinal development. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2163-78 pubmed publisher..Thus, these results suggest a molecular mechanism whereby attenuated Notch levels coupled with reduced proneurogenic activity in progenitors leads to increased gliogenesis and decreased neurogenesis in the Ascl1-deficient retina. ..
- Jin J, Warner D, Lu Q, Pisano M, Greene R, Ding J. Deciphering TGF-?3 function in medial edge epithelium specification and fusion during mouse secondary palate development. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1536-43 pubmed publisher..In addition, cytokeratin 6? and 17 are two TGF-?3 downstream target genes in palate medial edge epithelium differentiation. ..
- Mori M, Mahoney J, Stupnikov M, Paez Cortez J, Szymaniak A, Varelas X, et al. Notch3-Jagged signaling controls the pool of undifferentiated airway progenitors. Development. 2015;142:258-67 pubmed publisher..This mechanism depends on the availability of Jag1 and Jag2, and is key to generating a population of parabasal cells that later activates Notch1 and Notch2 for secretory-..
- Kared H, Adle Biassette H, Fois E, Masson A, Bach J, Chatenoud L, et al. Jagged2-expressing hematopoietic progenitors promote regulatory T cell expansion in the periphery through notch signaling. Immunity. 2006;25:823-34 pubmed..They open therapeutic perspectives for autologous transplantation of Jagged2(+) LSK progenitors to promote Treg cell expansion in T cell-mediated diseases. ..
- Kim T, Kim B, Mao J, Rowan S, Shivdasani R. Endodermal Hedgehog signals modulate Notch pathway activity in the developing digestive tract mesenchyme. Development. 2011;138:3225-33 pubmed publisher..These results reveal unexpected interactions between prominent signals in gastrointestinal development and provide a coherent explanation for Hh requirements in mesenchymal cell survival and organ growth. ..
- Nakayama H, Liu Y, Stifani S, Cross J. Developmental restriction of Mash-2 expression in trophoblast correlates with potential activation of the notch-2 pathway. Dev Genet. 1997;21:21-30 pubmed..These data suggest that Notch signaling through activation of HES transcriptional repressors may play a role in murine placental development. ..
- High F, Zhang M, Proweller A, Tu L, Parmacek M, Pear W, et al. An essential role for Notch in neural crest during cardiovascular development and smooth muscle differentiation. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:353-63 pubmed..These results provide a molecular and cellular framework for understanding the role of Notch signaling in the etiology of congenital heart disease. ..
- Yao Y, Yao J, Radparvar M, Blázquez Medela A, Guihard P, Jumabay M, et al. Reducing Jagged 1 and 2 levels prevents cerebral arteriovenous malformations in matrix Gla protein deficiency. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:19071-6 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Notch signaling mediates and can modulate changes in BMP signaling that lead to cerebral AVMs. ..
- Schröder N, Gossler A. Expression of Notch pathway components in fetal and adult mouse small intestine. Gene Expr Patterns. 2002;2:247-50 pubmed
- Lanford P, Lan Y, Jiang R, Lindsell C, Weinmaster G, Gridley T, et al. Notch signalling pathway mediates hair cell development in mammalian cochlea. Nat Genet. 1999;21:289-92 pubmed..In addition, genetic deletion of Jag2 results in a significant increase in sensory hair cells, presumably as a result of a decrease in Notch activation...
- Abe N, Hozumi K, Hirano K, Yagita H, Habu S. Notch ligands transduce different magnitudes of signaling critical for determination of T-cell fate. Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:2608-17 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the magnitude of Notch signaling induced is critical for the determination of T-cell fate. ..
- Van de Walle I, Waegemans E, De Medts J, De Smet G, De Smedt M, Snauwaert S, et al. Specific Notch receptor-ligand interactions control human TCR-??/?? development by inducing differential Notch signal strength. J Exp Med. 2013;210:683-97 pubmed publisher..Fetal thymus organ cultures in JAG2-deficient thymic lobes or with Notch3-blocking antibodies confirm the importance of Jagged2/Notch3 signaling in ..
- Post L, Ternet M, Hogan B. Notch/Delta expression in the developing mouse lung. Mech Dev. 2000;98:95-8 pubmed..Here, we report the localization of transcripts of several genes encoding members of the Notch/Delta pathway in the early mouse lung. Most genes are expressed in specific populations and so may contribute to cell diversification. ..
- Koo B, Yoon M, Yoon K, Im S, Kim Y, Kim C, et al. An obligatory role of mind bomb-1 in notch signaling of mammalian development. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e1221 pubmed..as deltalike4 mutants, abnormal cerebellum and skin development as jagged1 conditional mutants, and syndactylism as jagged2 mutants...
- Tsao P, Chen F, Izvolsky K, Walker J, Kukuruzinska M, LU J, et al. Gamma-secretase activation of notch signaling regulates the balance of proximal and distal fates in progenitor cells of the developing lung. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:29532-44 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a novel mechanism in which Notch and fibroblast growth factor signaling interact to control the proximal-distal pattern of forming airways in the mammalian lung. ..
- Kong Y, Glickman J, Subramaniam M, Shahsafaei A, Allamneni K, Aster J, et al. Functional diversity of notch family genes in fetal lung development. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2004;286:L1075-83 pubmed..Cumulatively, these observations suggest that interactions between distinct Notch family members can have diverse tissue-specific regulatory functions during development, arguing against simple functional redundancy. ..
- Brennan J, Karl J, Capel B. Divergent vascular mechanisms downstream of Sry establish the arterial system in the XY gonad. Dev Biol. 2002;244:418-28 pubmed..This newly formed arterial system establishes a new pattern of blood flow in the XY gonad, which we speculate may have an important role in export of testosterone to masculinize the XY embryo. ..
- Hayashi T, Kageyama Y, Ishizaka K, Xia G, Kihara K, Oshima H. Requirement of Notch 1 and its ligand jagged 2 expressions for spermatogenesis in rat and human testes. J Androl. 2001;22:999-1011 pubmed
- Villa N, Walker L, Lindsell C, Gasson J, Iruela Arispe M, Weinmaster G. Vascular expression of Notch pathway receptors and ligands is restricted to arterial vessels. Mech Dev. 2001;108:161-4 pubmed..These findings identify an aspect of Notch signaling that could contribute to the mechanism by which this pathway modulates vascular morphogenesis. ..
- Lammert E, Brown J, Melton D. Notch gene expression during pancreatic organogenesis. Mech Dev. 2000;94:199-203 pubmed..Notch 3 and Notch 4 are expressed in pancreatic mesenchyme and later in endothelial cells. Together these descriptive data comprise a framework for understanding the cellular basis for Notch function during pancreatic development. ..
- Kawata M, Taniguchi Y, Mori D, Yano F, Ohba S, Chung U, et al. Different regulation of limb development by p63 transcript variants. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174122 pubmed publisher..by AER cells, and essential to maintain the AER and cell proliferation in the underlying mesenchyme, meanwhile Jag2-Notch pathway negatively regulates the AER and limb development...
- Burmeister M, Novak J, Liang M, Basu S, Ploder L, Hawes N, et al. Ocular retardation mouse caused by Chx10 homeobox null allele: impaired retinal progenitor proliferation and bipolar cell differentiation. Nat Genet. 1996;12:376-84 pubmed..off ..
- Guo M, Zhang H, Bian F, Li G, Mu X, Wen J, et al. P4 down-regulates Jagged2 and Notch1 expression during primordial folliculogenesis. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2012;4:2631-44 pubmed..Taken together, these results demonstrate that maternal P4 levels during midpregnancy can inhibit the expression of Jagged2 and Notch1, which are involved in primordial folliculogenesis, in the mouse fetal ovary. ..
- Riella L, Yang J, Chock S, Safa K, Magee C, Vanguri V, et al. Jagged2-signaling promotes IL-6-dependent transplant rejection. Eur J Immunol. 2013;43:1449-58 pubmed publisher..this study, we investigated the role of Jagged2 in murine cardiac transplantation by using a signaling Jagged2 mAb (Jag2) that activates recombinant signal-binding protein-J?...
- Feng Y, Liang G, Pan B, Qin X, Zhang X, Chen C, et al. Notch pathway regulates female germ cell meiosis progression and early oogenesis events in fetal mouse. Cell Cycle. 2014;13:782-91 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggested new roles of the Notch signaling pathway in female germ cell meiosis progression and early oogenesis events in mammals. ..
- Bicker F, Vasic V, Horta G, Ortega F, Nolte H, Kavyanifar A, et al. Neurovascular EGFL7 regulates adult neurogenesis in the subventricular zone and thereby affects olfactory perception. Nat Commun. 2017;8:15922 pubmed publisher..Consequently, EGFL7-knockout mice display severe physiological defects in olfactory behaviour and perception. ..
- Zhang B, Liu R, Shi D, Liu X, Chen Y, Dou X, et al. Mesenchymal stem cells induce mature dendritic cells into a novel Jagged-2-dependent regulatory dendritic cell population. Blood. 2009;113:46-57 pubmed publisher..These results further support the role of MSCs in preventing rejection in organ transplantation and treatment of autoimmune disease. ..
- Kijima M, Yamaguchi T, Ishifune C, Maekawa Y, Koyanagi A, Yagita H, et al. Dendritic cell-mediated NK cell activation is controlled by Jagged2-Notch interaction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:7010-5 pubmed publisher..Enforced expression of Jagged2 on A20 cells (Jag2-A20 cells) suppressed their growth in vivo, which was abrogated by depleting NK cells...
- Lan Y, Jiang R, Shawber C, Weinmaster G, Gridley T. The Jagged2 gene maps to chromosome 12 and is a candidate for the lgl and sm mutations. Mamm Genome. 1997;8:875-6 pubmed
- Bell S, Lan Y, Jiang R, Gridley T. Exclusion of Jagged2 as a candidate for the legless gene. Mamm Genome. 1998;9:778-9 pubmed
- Powell B, Passmore E, Nesci A, Dunn S. The Notch signalling pathway in hair growth. Mech Dev. 1998;78:189-92 pubmed
- Sumazaki R, Shiojiri N, Isoyama S, Masu M, Keino Masu K, Osawa M, et al. Conversion of biliary system to pancreatic tissue in Hes1-deficient mice. Nat Genet. 2004;36:83-7 pubmed..Thus, biliary epithelium has the potential for pancreatic differentiation and Hes1 determines biliary organogenesis by preventing the pancreatic differentiation program, probably by directly repressing transcription of Neurog3. ..
- McCright B, Gao X, Shen L, Lozier J, Lan Y, Maguire M, et al. Defects in development of the kidney, heart and eye vasculature in mice homozygous for a hypomorphic Notch2 mutation. Development. 2001;128:491-502 pubmed..These data identify novel developmental roles for Notch2 in kidney, heart and eye development. ..
- Felli M, Maroder M, Mitsiadis T, Campese A, Bellavia D, Vacca A, et al. Expression pattern of notch1, 2 and 3 and Jagged1 and 2 in lymphoid and stromal thymus components: distinct ligand-receptor interactions in intrathymic T cell development. Int Immunol. 1999;11:1017-25 pubmed
- Golson M, Le Lay J, Gao N, Brämswig N, Loomes K, Oakey R, et al. Jagged1 is a competitive inhibitor of Notch signaling in the embryonic pancreas. Mech Dev. 2009;126:687-99 pubmed publisher..Expression of the Notch modifier Manic Fringe (Mfng) is limited to endocrine precursors, providing a possible explanation for the inhibition of Notch signaling by Jag1 during mid-gestation embryonic pancreas development. ..
- Mitsiadis T, Regaudiat L, Gridley T. Role of the Notch signalling pathway in tooth morphogenesis. Arch Oral Biol. 2005;50:137-40 pubmed..Homozygous mutant mice die after birth, exhibit abnormal tooth morphology and fusions between the palatal and mandibular shelves. These results demonstrate that Notch signalling plays an essential role in tooth development. ..
- Lindner V, Booth C, Prudovsky I, Small D, Maciag T, Liaw L. Members of the Jagged/Notch gene families are expressed in injured arteries and regulate cell phenotype via alterations in cell matrix and cell-cell interaction. Am J Pathol. 2001;159:875-83 pubmed..We suggest that Jagged regulation of cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions may contribute to the control of cell migration in situations of tissue remodeling in vivo. ..
- Candi E, Rufini A, Terrinoni A, Giamboi Miraglia A, Lena A, Mantovani R, et al. DeltaNp63 regulates thymic development through enhanced expression of FgfR2 and Jag2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:11999-2004 pubmed..In addition, expression of Jag2, a component of the Notch signaling pathway known to be required for thymic development, was enhanced by p63 in ..
- Krawczyk C, Sun J, Pearce E. Th2 differentiation is unaffected by Jagged2 expression on dendritic cells. J Immunol. 2008;180:7931-7 pubmed..Moreover, retrovirally induced expression of Jagged2 did not enhance the ability of DCs to induce Th2 cell responses. Our data indicate that Jagged2 expression by DCs is not sufficient or required for Th2 cell differentiation. ..
- Colombo M, ThÃ¼mmler K, Mirandola L, Garavelli S, Todoerti K, Apicella L, et al. Notch signaling drives multiple myeloma induced osteoclastogenesis. Oncotarget. 2014;5:10393-406 pubmed..These results make the Jagged ligands new promising therapeutic targets in MM to contrast bone disease and the associated co-morbidities. ..
- Shimizu K, Chiba S, Hosoya N, Kumano K, Saito T, Kurokawa M, et al. Binding of Delta1, Jagged1, and Jagged2 to Notch2 rapidly induces cleavage, nuclear translocation, and hyperphosphorylation of Notch2. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:6913-22 pubmed..Moreover, the findings of rapid cleavage, nuclear translocation, and phosphorylation of Notch2 after ligand binding facilitate the understanding of the Notch signaling. ..
- Carson C, Murdoch B, Roskams A. Notch 2 and Notch 1/3 segregate to neuronal and glial lineages of the developing olfactory epithelium. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1678-88 pubmed..Notch 2 and Notch 1/3 may, therefore, have different roles in the commitment and differentiation of neuronal and glial lineages of the OE during development, and the maintenance of non-neuronal phenotypes postnatally. ..
- Hartman B, Hayashi T, Nelson B, Bermingham McDonogh O, Reh T. Dll3 is expressed in developing hair cells in the mammalian cochlea. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2875-83 pubmed..Hair cells are known to express Notch ligands Dll1 and Jag2, which signal through Notch1 in adjacent supporting cells...
- Van Den Akker N, Caolo V, Wisse L, Peters P, Poelmann R, Carmeliet P, et al. Developmental coronary maturation is disturbed by aberrant cardiac vascular endothelial growth factor expression and Notch signalling. Cardiovasc Res. 2008;78:366-75 pubmed..This knowledge can contribute to optimizing therapies targeting VEGF signalling by enabling balancing between angiogenesis and vascular maturation. ..
- Lim K, Ancrile B, Kashatus D, Counter C. Tumour maintenance is mediated by eNOS. Nature. 2008;452:646-9 pubmed publisher..We suggest that activation of the PI3K-AKT-eNOS-(wild-type) Ras pathway by oncogenic Ras in cancer cells is required to initiate and maintain tumour growth. ..
- Shawber C, Boulter J, Lindsell C, Weinmaster G. Jagged2: a serrate-like gene expressed during rat embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 1996;180:370-6 pubmed..Our data are consistent with the idea that the diversity of cell types regulated by Notch signaling is a consequence of activation of unique Notch isoforms by different DSL ligands. ..