Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Jag1
Description: jagged 1
Alias: ABE2, Gsfabe2, Htu, Ozz, Ser-1, protein jagged-1, Serrate-1
- Chai R, Xia A, Wang T, Jan T, Hayashi T, Bermingham McDonogh O, et al. Dynamic expression of Lgr5, a Wnt target gene, in the developing and mature mouse cochlea. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol. 2011;12:455-69 pubmed publisher..Their differential expression among cell populations highlights the dynamic but complex distribution of Wnt-activated cells in and around the embryonic and postnatal cochlea...
- Jones P, May G, Healy L, Brown J, Hoyne G, Delassus S, et al. Stromal expression of Jagged 1 promotes colony formation by fetal hematopoietic progenitor cells. Blood. 1998;92:1505-11 pubmed..These results obtained in vitro table Jagged 1 as a candidate regulator of stem cell fate in the context of stromal microenvironments in vivo. ..
- Cohen B, Bashirullah A, Dagnino L, Campbell C, Fisher W, Leow C, et al. Fringe boundaries coincide with Notch-dependent patterning centres in mammals and alter Notch-dependent development in Drosophila. Nat Genet. 1997;16:283-8 pubmed..Ectopic expression of murine manic fringe or radical fringe in Drosophila results in phenotypes that resemble those seen in Notch mutants. ..
- Nyfeler Y, Kirch R, Mantei N, Leone D, Radtke F, Suter U, et al. Jagged1 signals in the postnatal subventricular zone are required for neural stem cell self-renewal. EMBO J. 2005;24:3504-15 pubmed..Our findings suggest a central role for Jagged1 in the NSC niche in the SVZ for maintaining a population of NSCs in the postnatal brain. ..
- Kiernan A, Xu J, Gridley T. The Notch ligand JAG1 is required for sensory progenitor development in the mammalian inner ear. PLoS Genet. 2006;2:e4 pubmed..However, another Notch ligand, JAG1, is expressed early in the sensory patches prior to cell differentiation, indicating that there may be an earlier ..
- Fischer A, Steidl C, Wagner T, Lang E, Jakob P, Friedl P, et al. Combined loss of Hey1 and HeyL causes congenital heart defects because of impaired epithelial to mesenchymal transition. Circ Res. 2007;100:856-63 pubmed..Thus, the Hey gene family shows overlap in controlling Notch induced endocardial epithelial to mesenchymal transition, a process critical for valve and septum formation. ..
- Woods C, Montcouquiol M, Kelley M. Math1 regulates development of the sensory epithelium in the mammalian cochlea. Nat Neurosci. 2004;7:1310-8 pubmed..These results show that Math1 functions in the developing cochlea to initiate both inductive and inhibitory signals that regulate the overall formation of the sensory epithelia. ..
- Chang W, Lin Z, Kulessa H, Hebert J, Hogan B, Wu D. Bmp4 is essential for the formation of the vestibular apparatus that detects angular head movements. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000050 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that, in comparison to sensory bristles, crista formation within the inner ear requires an additional step of sensory and non-sensory fate specification...
- McCright B, Lozier J, Gridley T. A mouse model of Alagille syndrome: Notch2 as a genetic modifier of Jag1 haploinsufficiency. Development. 2002;129:1075-82 pubmed..Alagille syndrome is caused by mutations in the Jagged 1 (JAG1) gene, which encodes a ligand for Notch family receptors...
- Krebs L, Xue Y, Norton C, Shutter J, Maguire M, Sundberg J, et al. Notch signaling is essential for vascular morphogenesis in mice. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1343-52 pubmed
- Matise M, Joyner A. Expression patterns of developmental control genes in normal and Engrailed-1 mutant mouse spinal cord reveal early diversity in developing interneurons. J Neurosci. 1997;17:7805-16 pubmed..Rather, it is suggested that En-1 may function to distinguish a subset of interneurons during the later maturation of the spinal cord. ..
- Estrach S, Ambler C, Lo Celso C, Hozumi K, Watt F. Jagged 1 is a beta-catenin target gene required for ectopic hair follicle formation in adult epidermis. Development. 2006;133:4427-38 pubmed..Deletion of jagged 1 (Jag1) results in inhibition of the hair growth cycle and conversion of hair follicles into cysts of cells undergoing ..
- Shimizu K, Chiba S, Hosoya N, Kumano K, Saito T, Kurokawa M, et al. Binding of Delta1, Jagged1, and Jagged2 to Notch2 rapidly induces cleavage, nuclear translocation, and hyperphosphorylation of Notch2. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:6913-22 pubmed..Moreover, the findings of rapid cleavage, nuclear translocation, and phosphorylation of Notch2 after ligand binding facilitate the understanding of the Notch signaling. ..
- Tan J, Xu K, Cretegny K, Visan I, Yuan J, Egan S, et al. Lunatic and manic fringe cooperatively enhance marginal zone B cell precursor competition for delta-like 1 in splenic endothelial niches. Immunity. 2009;30:254-63 pubmed publisher..Our study has revealed that the Fringe-Notch2 interaction has important functions in vivo and provides insights into mechanisms regulating MZ B cell development. ..
- Ikeda K, Ookawara S, Sato S, Ando Z, Kageyama R, Kawakami K. Six1 is essential for early neurogenesis in the development of olfactory epithelium. Dev Biol. 2007;311:53-68 pubmed..Our study indicates that Six1 plays critical roles in early neurogenesis by regulating Ngn1, NeuroD, Hes1, and Hes5. ..
- del Monte G, Grego Bessa J, González Rajal A, Bolós V, de la Pompa J. Monitoring Notch1 activity in development: evidence for a feedback regulatory loop. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2594-614 pubmed..We found that Notch1 transcription and activity was severely reduced in zebrafish and mouse Notch pathway mutants, suggesting that vertebrate Notch1 expression is regulated by a positive feedback loop. ..
- Pan W, Jin Y, STANGER B, Kiernan A. Notch signaling is required for the generation of hair cells and supporting cells in the mammalian inner ear. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:15798-803 pubmed publisher..Here, using both loss-of-function and gain-of-function approaches, we show that Jagged1 (JAG1)-mediated Notch signaling is both required and sufficient for the generation of the sensory progenitors...
- Huh S, Jones J, Warchol M, Ornitz D. Differentiation of the lateral compartment of the cochlea requires a temporally restricted FGF20 signal. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001231 pubmed publisher..The viability and hearing loss in Fgf20 knockout mice suggest that FGF20 may also be a deafness-associated gene in humans. ..
- Seo S, Fujita H, Nakano A, Kang M, Duarte A, Kume T. The forkhead transcription factors, Foxc1 and Foxc2, are required for arterial specification and lymphatic sprouting during vascular development. Dev Biol. 2006;294:458-70 pubmed..Taken together, our results demonstrate that Foxc transcription factors are novel regulators of arterial cell specification upstream of Notch signaling and lymphatic sprouting during embryonic development. ..
- Mitsiadis T, Henrique D, Thesleff I, Lendahl U. Mouse Serrate-1 (Jagged-1): expression in the developing tooth is regulated by epithelial-mesenchymal interactions and fibroblast growth factor-4. Development. 1997;124:1473-83 pubmed..This indicates that, at least during tooth development, the expression patterns observed for receptors and ligands in the Notch signaling pathway are generated by different induction mechanisms. ..
- Dunwoodie S, Henrique D, Harrison S, Beddington R. Mouse Dll3: a novel divergent Delta gene which may complement the function of other Delta homologues during early pattern formation in the mouse embryo. Development. 1997;124:3065-76 pubmed..We hypothesise that Dll1 is involved in the release of cells from the precursor population and that Dll3 is required later to divert neurons along a specific differentiation pathway. ..
- Brooker R, Hozumi K, Lewis J. Notch ligands with contrasting functions: Jagged1 and Delta1 in the mouse inner ear. Development. 2006;133:1277-86 pubmed..We have used a Cre-LoxP approach to knock out two of these ligands, Delta1 (Dll1) and Jagged1 (Jag1), in the mouse ear...
- Basch M, Ohyama T, Segil N, Groves A. Canonical Notch signaling is not necessary for prosensory induction in the mouse cochlea: insights from a conditional mutant of RBPjkappa. J Neurosci. 2011;31:8046-58 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that canonical Notch signaling is not necessary for prosensory specification in the mouse cochlea, suggesting that other signaling pathways may specify this highly derived sensory organ. ..
- Yang L, Nichols J, Yao C, Manilay J, Robey E, Weinmaster G. Fringe glycosyltransferases differentially modulate Notch1 proteolysis induced by Delta1 and Jagged1. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:927-42 pubmed
- Mancini S, Mantei N, Dumortier A, Suter U, MacDonald H, Radtke F. Jagged1-dependent Notch signaling is dispensable for hematopoietic stem cell self-renewal and differentiation. Blood. 2005;105:2340-2 pubmed..In contrast to earlier reports, these data exclude an essential role for Jagged1-mediated Notch signaling during hematopoiesis. ..
- Burton Q, Cole L, Mulheisen M, Chang W, Wu D. The role of Pax2 in mouse inner ear development. Dev Biol. 2004;272:161-75 pubmed
- Morrison A, Hodgetts C, Gossler A, Hrabe de Angelis M, Lewis J. Expression of Delta1 and Serrate1 (Jagged1) in the mouse inner ear. Mech Dev. 1999;84:169-72 pubmed..Delta1 is also expressed: (a) at early stages, at the site of otic neurogenesis; and (b) in scattered cells of the endolymphatic sac, as is Serrate1. ..
- McCright B, Gao X, Shen L, Lozier J, Lan Y, Maguire M, et al. Defects in development of the kidney, heart and eye vasculature in mice homozygous for a hypomorphic Notch2 mutation. Development. 2001;128:491-502 pubmed..The Notch ligand encoded by the Jag1 gene was expressed in developing glomeruli in cells adjacent to Notch2-expressing cells...
- Kiernan A, Ahituv N, Fuchs H, Balling R, Avraham K, Steel K, et al. The Notch ligand Jagged1 is required for inner ear sensory development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:3873-8 pubmed..However, one of the Notch ligands, Jagged1 (Jag1), does not show an expression pattern wholly consistent with a role in lateral inhibition, as it marks the sensory ..
- Nehring L, Miyamoto A, Hein P, Weinmaster G, Shipley J. The extracellular matrix protein MAGP-2 interacts with Jagged1 and induces its shedding from the cell surface. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:20349-55 pubmed
- Ohyama T, Basch M, Mishina Y, Lyons K, Segil N, Groves A. BMP signaling is necessary for patterning the sensory and nonsensory regions of the developing mammalian cochlea. J Neurosci. 2010;30:15044-51 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest BMP signaling is required for patterning sensory and nonsensory tissue in the mammalian cochlea. ..
- Corada M, Nyqvist D, Orsenigo F, Caprini A, Giampietro C, Taketo M, et al. The Wnt/beta-catenin pathway modulates vascular remodeling and specification by upregulating Dll4/Notch signaling. Dev Cell. 2010;18:938-49 pubmed publisher..We propose that early and sustained beta-catenin signaling prevents correct endothelial cell differentiation, altering vascular remodeling and arteriovenous specification. ..
- Ryan M, Bales C, Nelson A, Gonzalez D, Underkoffler L, Segalov M, et al. Bile duct proliferation in Jag1/fringe heterozygous mice identifies candidate modifiers of the Alagille syndrome hepatic phenotype. Hepatology. 2008;48:1989-97 pubmed publisher..The syndrome is caused by mutations in JAG1, which encodes a ligand in the Notch signaling pathway, in the majority of cases and mutations in the NOTCH2 ..
- Robert Moreno A, Guiu J, Ruiz Herguido C, López M, Inglés Esteve J, Riera L, et al. Impaired embryonic haematopoiesis yet normal arterial development in the absence of the Notch ligand Jagged1. EMBO J. 2008;27:1886-95 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that Jagged1-mediated activation of Notch1 is responsible for regulating GATA2 expression in the AGM, which in turn is essential for definitive haematopoiesis in the mouse. ..
- Elyaman W, Bradshaw E, Wang Y, Oukka M, Kivisakk P, Chiba S, et al. JAGGED1 and delta1 differentially regulate the outcome of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol. 2007;179:5990-8 pubmed..Our study provides novel data about differential roles of Notch ligands in regulating inflammation in the periphery as well as in the CNS. ..
- Ross D, Kadesch T. Consequences of Notch-mediated induction of Jagged1. Exp Cell Res. 2004;296:173-82 pubmed..The induced Jagged1 had no apparent autocrine effects on Notch signaling but could promote signaling in naïve cells. These results describe a mechanism through which Notch signaling can be relayed from cell to cell. ..
- Feng X, Krebs L, Gridley T. Patent ductus arteriosus in mice with smooth muscle-specific Jag1 deletion. Development. 2010;137:4191-9 pubmed publisher..Mice with smooth muscle cell-specific deletion of Jag1, which encodes a Notch ligand, die postnatally from patent ductus arteriosus...
- Robert Moreno A, Espinosa L, de la Pompa J, Bigas A. RBPjkappa-dependent Notch function regulates Gata2 and is essential for the formation of intra-embryonic hematopoietic cells. Development. 2005;132:1117-26 pubmed..Taken together, these data strongly suggest that activation of Gata2 expression by Notch1/RBPjkappa is a crucial event for the onset of definitive hematopoiesis in the embryo. ..
- Cheng H, Kim M, Valerius M, Surendran K, Schuster Gossler K, Gossler A, et al. Notch2, but not Notch1, is required for proximal fate acquisition in the mammalian nephron. Development. 2007;134:801-11 pubmed..These results establish distinct (non-redundant), instructive roles for Notch receptors in nephron segmentation. ..
- Lewis A, Frantz G, Carpenter D, de Sauvage F, Gao W. Distinct expression patterns of notch family receptors and ligands during development of the mammalian inner ear. Mech Dev. 1998;78:159-63 pubmed..Notch2, Notch3, Notch4, and Delta1 are excluded from the inner ear epithelia. These data support the hypothesis that Notch signaling is involved in hair cell differentiation during inner ear morphogenesis. ..
- High F, Zhang M, Proweller A, Tu L, Parmacek M, Pear W, et al. An essential role for Notch in neural crest during cardiovascular development and smooth muscle differentiation. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:353-63 pubmed..These results provide a molecular and cellular framework for understanding the role of Notch signaling in the etiology of congenital heart disease. ..
- Barrantes I, Elia A, Wunsch K, Hrabe de Angelis M, Mak T, Rossant J, et al. Interaction between Notch signalling and Lunatic fringe during somite boundary formation in the mouse. Curr Biol. 1999;9:470-80 pubmed..In this region, Notch function activates a set of genes that are involved in boundary formation and anterior-posterior somite identity. ..
- Hulander M, Kiernan A, Blomqvist S, Carlsson P, Samuelsson E, Johansson B, et al. Lack of pendrin expression leads to deafness and expansion of the endolymphatic compartment in inner ears of Foxi1 null mutant mice. Development. 2003;130:2013-25 pubmed..this regulation could be mediated by absence of a specific endolymphatic cell type--FORE (forkhead related) cells--expressing Foxi1, Pds, Coch and Jag1. Thus, mutations in FOXI1 could prove to cause a Pendred syndrome-like human deafness.
- Tsai H, Hardisty R, Rhodes C, Kiernan A, Roby P, Tymowska Lalanne Z, et al. The mouse slalom mutant demonstrates a role for Jagged1 in neuroepithelial patterning in the organ of Corti. Hum Mol Genet. 2001;10:507-12 pubmed..We show that the slalom mutant carries a mutation in the Jagged1 gene, implicating a new ligand in the signalling processes that pattern the inner ear neuro-epithelium. ..
- Villa N, Walker L, Lindsell C, Gasson J, Iruela Arispe M, Weinmaster G. Vascular expression of Notch pathway receptors and ligands is restricted to arterial vessels. Mech Dev. 2001;108:161-4 pubmed..These findings identify an aspect of Notch signaling that could contribute to the mechanism by which this pathway modulates vascular morphogenesis. ..
- Pirvola U, Ylikoski J, Trokovic R, Hebert J, McConnell S, Partanen J. FGFR1 is required for the development of the auditory sensory epithelium. Neuron. 2002;35:671-80 pubmed..Our data also suggest that FGFR1 might have a distinct later role in intercellular signaling within the differentiating auditory sensory epithelium. ..
- Kijima M, Iwata A, Maekawa Y, Uehara H, Izumi K, Kitamura A, et al. Jagged1 suppresses collagen-induced arthritis by indirectly providing a negative signal in CD8+ T cells. J Immunol. 2009;182:3566-72 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that Jagged1 is able to deliver an indirect negative signal into CD8(+) T cells in vivo, which suggests its therapeutic potential in the treatment of CD8(+) T cell-mediated diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis. ..
- Przemeck G, Heinzmann U, Beckers J, Hrabe de Angelis M. Node and midline defects are associated with left-right development in Delta1 mutant embryos. Development. 2003;130:3-13 pubmed..Based on expression analysis in wild-type and mutant embryos, we suggest a model, in which Notch signalling is required for the proper differentiation of node cells and node morphology...
- Dabdoub A, Puligilla C, Jones J, Fritzsch B, Cheah K, Pevny L, et al. Sox2 signaling in prosensory domain specification and subsequent hair cell differentiation in the developing cochlea. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:18396-401 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate crucial and diverse roles for Sox2 in the development, specification, and maintenance of sensory cells within the cochlea. ..