Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Izumo
Description: izumo sperm-egg fusion 1
Alias: 1700058F15Rik, Izumo, izumo sperm-egg fusion protein 1, OBF, oocyte binding/fusion factor, sperm-specific protein Izumo
- Fujihara Y, Murakami M, Inoue N, Satouh Y, Kaseda K, Ikawa M, et al. Sperm equatorial segment protein 1, SPESP1, is required for fully fertile sperm in mouse. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:1531-6 pubmed publisher..It was demonstrated that SPESP1 is necessary to produce the fully 'fusion competent' sperm. ..
- An G, Huang T, Wang D, Xie Q, Ma L, Chen D. In vitro and in vivo studies evaluating recombinant plasmid pCXN2-mIzumo as a potential immunocontraceptive antigen. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2009;61:227-35 pubmed publisher..b>Izumo cDNA positive bands were detected in sample from mice immunized with pCXN2-mIzumo...
- Miranda P, Allaire A, Sosnik J, Visconti P. Localization of low-density detergent-resistant membrane proteins in intact and acrosome-reacted mouse sperm. Biol Reprod. 2009;80:897-904 pubmed publisher..In this study, a subset of these proteins (TEX101, basigin, hexokinase 1, facilitated glucose transporter 3, IZUMO, and SPAM1) and other molecules known to be enriched in membrane rafts (caveolin 2, flotillin 1, flotillin 2, and ..
- Ohto U, Ishida H, Krayukhina E, Uchiyama S, Inoue N, Shimizu T. Structure of IZUMO1-JUNO reveals sperm-oocyte recognition during mammalian fertilization. Nature. 2016;534:566-9 pubmed publisher..IZUMO1 exhibits an elongated rod-shaped structure comprised of a helical bundle IZUMO domain and an immunoglobulin-like domain that are each firmly anchored to an intervening ?-hairpin region through ..
- Young S, Miyata H, Satouh Y, Muto M, Larsen M, Aitken R, et al. CRISPR/Cas9-mediated mutation revealed cytoplasmic tail is dispensable for IZUMO1 function and male fertility. Reproduction. 2016;152:665-672 pubmed
- Nishimura H, Gupta S, Myles D, Primakoff P. Characterization of mouse sperm TMEM190, a small transmembrane protein with the trefoil domain: evidence for co-localization with IZUMO1 and complex formation with other sperm proteins. Reproduction. 2011;141:437-51 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that a mouse sperm protein complex(es) including TMEM190 plays an indirect role(s) in sperm-oocyte fusion. The role(s), if any, is probably dispensable since Tmem190-null male mice were normally fertile. ..
- Baker M, Hetherington L, Weinberg A, Naumovski N, Velkov T, Pelzing M, et al. Analysis of phosphopeptide changes as spermatozoa acquire functional competence in the epididymis demonstrates changes in the post-translational modification of Izumo1. J Proteome Res. 2012;11:5252-64 pubmed publisher..A model is advanced suggesting that these phospho-regulations are likely to act as a scaffold for the association of adaptor proteins with Izumo1 as these cells prepare for fertilization. ..
- Xue F, Wang L, Liu Y, Tang H, Xu W, Xu C. Vaccination with an Epitope Peptide of IZUMO1 to Induce Contraception in Female Mice. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2016;75:474-85 pubmed publisher..IZUMO1 plays an important role in the fusion of the sperm and ovum during fertilization. Izumo(-/-) mice are infertile...
- Nishimura K, Han L, Bianchi E, Wright G, de Sanctis D, Jovine L. The structure of sperm Izumo1 reveals unexpected similarities with Plasmodium invasion proteins. Curr Biol. 2016;26:R661-2 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest a link between the molecular mechanisms underlying host cell invasion by the malaria parasite and gamete membrane fusion at fertilization. ..