Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Itgb7
Description: integrin beta 7
Alias: Ly69, integrin beta-7, M290 IEL antigen, integrin beta-P
- Yuan Q, Jiang W, Hollander D, Leung E, Watson J, Krissansen G. Identity between the novel integrin beta 7 subunit and an antigen found highly expressed on intraepithelial lymphocytes in the small intestine. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1991;176:1443-9 pubmedA cDNA clone encoding the N-terminal sequence of the murine integrin beta 7 subunit, a novel member of the leukocyte cell adhesion molecule subset (Leu-CAM), has been isolated...
- DeNucci C, Pagán A, Mitchell J, Shimizu Y. Control of alpha4beta7 integrin expression and CD4 T cell homing by the beta1 integrin subunit. J Immunol. 2010;184:2458-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, the preferential association of beta1 integrin with alpha4 integrin suppresses alpha4beta7 integrin expression and regulates the localization of memory CD4 T cells. ..
- Chaen T, Konno T, Egashira M, Bai R, Nomura N, Nomura S, et al. Estrogen-dependent uterine secretion of osteopontin activates blastocyst adhesion competence. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48933 pubmed publisher..These findings define for the first time specific regulatory components of an estrogen-dependent pathway coordinating blastocyst adhesion competence and uterine receptivity...
- Yamada D, Kadono T, Masui Y, Yanaba K, Sato S. ?7 Integrin controls mast cell recruitment, whereas ?E integrin modulates the number and function of CD8+ T cells in immune complex-mediated tissue injury. J Immunol. 2014;192:4112-21 pubmed publisher..E?7 integrin, in contrast, contributes by recruiting ?E(+)CD8(+) T cells, which produce more proinflammatory cytokines than ?E(-)CD8(+) T cells and amplify IC-mediated inflammation. ..
- Suzuki R, Nakao A, Kanamaru Y, Okumura K, Ogawa H, Ra C. Localization of intestinal intraepithelial T lymphocytes involves regulation of alphaEbeta7 expression by transforming growth factor-beta. Int Immunol. 2002;14:339-45 pubmed
- Lehmann J, Huehn J, de la Rosa M, Maszyna F, Kretschmer U, Krenn V, et al. Expression of the integrin alpha Ebeta 7 identifies unique subsets of CD25+ as well as CD25- regulatory T cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:13031-6 pubmed..Thus, the integrin alpha(E)beta(7) can be regarded as a novel marker for subsets of highly potent, functionally distinct regulatory T cells specialized for crosstalk with epithelial environments. ..
- Ghosh S, Chackerian A, Parker C, Ballantyne C, Behar S. The LFA-1 adhesion molecule is required for protective immunity during pulmonary Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. J Immunol. 2006;176:4914-22 pubmed..Thus, LFA-1 (CD11a/CD18) plays an essential role in immunity to M. tuberculosis infection. ..
- Hadis U, Wahl B, Schulz O, Hardtke Wolenski M, Schippers A, Wagner N, et al. Intestinal tolerance requires gut homing and expansion of FoxP3+ regulatory T cells in the lamina propria. Immunity. 2011;34:237-46 pubmed publisher..We propose a model of stepwise oral tolerance induction comprising the generation of Treg cells in the gut-draining lymph nodes, followed by migration into the gut and subsequent expansion of Treg cells driven by intestinal macrophages...
- Luck H, Tsai S, Chung J, Clemente Casares X, Ghazarian M, Revelo X, et al. Regulation of obesity-related insulin resistance with gut anti-inflammatory agents. Cell Metab. 2015;21:527-42 pubmed publisher..Thus, the mucosal immune system affects multiple pathways associated with systemic IR and represents a novel therapeutic target in this disease. ..
- Hoshino H, Kobayashi M, Mitoma J, Sato Y, Fukuda M, Nakayama J. An integrin alpha4beta7•IgG heterodimeric chimera binds to MAdCAM-1 on high endothelial venules in gut-associated lymphoid tissue. J Histochem Cytochem. 2011;59:572-83 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that ?4?7•IgG can be used as a probe for functional MAdCAM-1 expressed on HEVs in GALT and could potentially serve as an anti-inflammatory drug inhibiting GALT-specific lymphocyte migration. ..
- Rezende R, da Cunha A, Kuhn C, Rubino S, M Hamdi H, Gabriely G, et al. Identification and characterization of latency-associated peptide-expressing Î³Î´ T cells. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8726 pubmed publisher..Identification of TCRÎ³Î´+LAP+ regulatory cells provides an avenue for understanding immune regulation and biologic processes linked to intestinal function and disease. ..
- Kanamoto T, Ue T, Yokoyama T, Souchelnytskyi N, Kiuchi Y. Proteomic study of DBA/2J mice retina: Down-regulation of Integrin beta7 correlated with retinal ganglion cell death. Proteomics. 2009;9:4962-9 pubmed publisher..Our data showed also that the expression of 18 proteins in the DBA/2J was significantly altered in DBA2 mice and down-regulation of Integrin beta7 may have a protective effect on glutamate-induced death of RGCs. ..
- Kuklin N, Rott L, Feng N, Conner M, Wagner N, Muller W, et al. Protective intestinal anti-rotavirus B cell immunity is dependent on alpha 4 beta 7 integrin expression but does not require IgA antibody production. J Immunol. 2001;166:1894-902 pubmed..Our findings suggest that alpha(4)beta(7) integrin expression is necessary for B cell-mediated immunity to RV independent of the presence of IgA. ..
- Alles M, Turchinovich G, Zhang P, Schuh W, Agenes F, Kirberg J. Leukocyte ?7 integrin targeted by Krüppel-like factors. J Immunol. 2014;193:1737-46 pubmed publisher..In this study, it is shown that KLF3 acts as transcriptional repressor for the leukocyte-specific integrin ?7 (Itgb7, Ly69) by binding to the ?7 promoter, as revealed by chromatin immunoprecipitation...
- Kaemmerer E, Kuhn P, Schneider U, Clahsen T, Jeon M, Klaus C, et al. Beta-7 integrin controls enterocyte migration in the small intestine. World J Gastroenterol. 2015;21:1759-64 pubmed publisher..The E-cadherin beta-7 integrin pathway probably controls migration of enterocytes within the small intestinal surface lining epithelial layer. ..
- DeNucci C, Shimizu Y. ?1 integrin is critical for the maintenance of antigen-specific CD4 T cells in the bone marrow but not long-term immunological memory. J Immunol. 2011;186:4019-26 pubmed publisher..Thus, ?(1) integrin-dependent maintenance of memory CD4 T cells in the bone marrow is not required for long-term CD4 T cell memory. ..
- Gorfu G, Rivera Nieves J, Hoang S, Abbott D, Arbenz Smith K, Azar D, et al. Beta7 integrin deficiency suppresses B cell homing and attenuates chronic ileitis in SAMP1/YitFc mice. J Immunol. 2010;185:5561-8 pubmed publisher..assess the role of ?(7) integrins in chronic ileitis, we generated SAMP1/YitFc lacking ?(7) integrins (SAMP1/YitFc Itgb7(-/-)) using a congenic strain developed via marker-assisted selection...
- Abonia J, Hallgren J, Jones T, Shi T, Xu Y, Koni P, et al. Alpha-4 integrins and VCAM-1, but not MAdCAM-1, are essential for recruitment of mast cell progenitors to the inflamed lung. Blood. 2006;108:1588-94 pubmed..Furthermore, the MCp is currently unique among inflammatory cells in its partial dependence on alpha4beta7 integrins for lung recruitment. ..
- Fernekorn U, Butcher E, Behrends J, Hartz S, Kruse A. Functional involvement of P-selectin and MAdCAM-1 in the recruitment of alpha4beta7-integrin-expressing monocyte-like cells to the pregnant mouse uterus. Eur J Immunol. 2004;34:3423-33 pubmed..Interestingly, maternal/fetal units with inhibited recruitment of alpha4beta7(+) leukocytes or the absence of these cells are characterized by reduced size and frequency of uterine NK cells. ..
- Bry L, Brenner M. Critical role of T cell-dependent serum antibody, but not the gut-associated lymphoid tissue, for surviving acute mucosal infection with Citrobacter rodentium, an attaching and effacing pathogen. J Immunol. 2004;172:433-41 pubmed..These findings have implications for understanding host defense against mucosal infections, including the pathogenesis of these diseases in immunocompromised populations. ..
- Villablanca E, De Calisto J, Torregrosa Paredes P, Cassani B, Nguyen D, Gabrielsson S, et al. ?7 integrins are required to give rise to intestinal mononuclear phagocytes with tolerogenic potential. Gut. 2014;63:1431-40 pubmed publisher..Mice lacking ?7 integrins in the innate immune compartment are more susceptible to intestinal inflammation, which is correlated with a requirement of ?7 integrins to reconstitute gut mononuclear phagocytes with tolerogenic potential. ..
- Sun X, Qiao H, Shi J, Kanwar J, Mueller W, Wagner N, et al. Beta7 integrins contribute to skin graft rejection. Transplantation. 2002;74:1202-3 pubmed..05). Beta7 integrins contribute to skin graft rejection, in accord with their role in mediating the epidermotropism of T-cells during skin inflammation. ..
- Berberich S, Dähne S, Schippers A, Peters T, Muller W, Kremmer E, et al. Differential molecular and anatomical basis for B cell migration into the peritoneal cavity and omental milky spots. J Immunol. 2008;180:2196-203 pubmed
- Kelly K, Chan A, Butch A, Darville T. Two different homing pathways involving integrin ?7 and E-selectin significantly influence trafficking of CD4 cells to the genital tract following Chlamydia muridarum infection. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2009;61:438-45 pubmed publisher..muridarum. CD4+ T cells use at least two different adhesive mechanisms involving an integrin of the mucosal homing pathway and selectin pathway to accumulate in the GT during C. muridarum infection. ..
- Zundler S, Schillinger D, Fischer A, Atreya R, LÃ³pez Posadas R, Watson A, et al. Blockade of Î±EÎ²7 integrin suppresses accumulation of CD8+ and Th9 lymphocytes from patients with IBD in the inflamed gut in vivo. Gut. 2017;66:1936-1948 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that blockade of Î±EÎ²7 in addition to Î±4Î²7 may be particularly effective in intestinal disorders with expansion of CD8+ and Th9 cells such as IBD. ..
- Cassani B, Villablanca E, Quintana F, Love P, Lacy Hulbert A, Blaner W, et al. Gut-tropic T cells that express integrin ?4?7 and CCR9 are required for induction of oral immune tolerance in mice. Gastroenterology. 2011;141:2109-18 pubmed publisher..Therapies designed to block gut-homing receptors might, under some conditions, interfere with normal tolerogenic mechanisms in the intestinal mucosa. ..
- Li C, Jin W, Du T, Wu B, Liu Y, Shattock R, et al. Binding of HIV-1 virions to Î±4Î² 7 expressing cells and impact of antagonizing Î±4Î² 7 on HIV-1 infection of primary CD4+ T cells. Virol Sin. 2014;29:381-92 pubmed publisher..The established approach provides a promising means for the investigation of other viral strains to understand the potential roles of Î±4Î²7 in HIV-1 infection. ..
- Yuan Q, Jiang W, Leung E, Hollander D, Watson J, Krissansen G. Molecular cloning of the mouse integrin beta 7 subunit. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:7352-8 pubmedThe complete analysis of a cDNA clone encoding the mouse integrin beta 7 subunit that was isolated from a lambda gt10 cDNA library prepared from interleukin-4-activated mouse spleen B cells is reported...
- Gurish M, Bell A, Smith T, Ducharme L, Wang R, Weis J. Expression of murine beta 7, alpha 4, and beta 1 integrin genes by rodent mast cells. J Immunol. 1992;149:1964-72 pubmed..The experimental strategy described in this manuscript has, thus, identified a novel murine beta-integrin chain that is expressed by rodent T cells and mast cells. ..
- Lad Y, Jiang P, Ruskamo S, Harburger D, Ylanne J, Campbell I, et al. Structural basis of the migfilin-filamin interaction and competition with integrin beta tails. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:35154-63 pubmed publisher..In this specific case, displacement of integrin tails from filamin by migfilin may provide a mechanism for switching between different integrin-cytoskeleton linkages. ..
- Alder J, Georgantas R, Hildreth R, Kaplan I, Morisot S, Yu X, et al. Kruppel-like factor 4 is essential for inflammatory monocyte differentiation in vivo. J Immunol. 2008;180:5645-52 pubmed
- Forbes E, Hulett M, Ahrens R, Wagner N, Smart V, Matthaei K, et al. ICAM-1-dependent pathways regulate colonic eosinophilic inflammation. J Leukoc Biol. 2006;80:330-41 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that beta2 -integrin/ICAM-1-dependent pathways are integral to eosinophil recruitment into the colon during GI inflammation associated with colonic injury. ..
- Desiderio U, Zhu X, Evans J. ADAM2 interactions with mouse eggs and cell lines expressing ?4/?9 (ITGA4/ITGA9) integrins: implications for integrin-based adhesion and fertilization. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13744 pubmed publisher..Antibody and siRNA studies demonstrate that ITGB7 is the ? subunit contributing to RPMI 8866 adhesion to ADAM2...
- Chiu H, Crowe D, Renz M, Presta L, Jones S, Weissman I, et al. Similar but nonidentical amino acid residues on vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 are involved in the interaction with alpha 4 beta 1 and alpha 4 beta 7 under different activity states. J Immunol. 1995;155:5257-67 pubmed
- Croy B, Ashkar A, Foster R, DiSanto J, Magram J, Carson D, et al. Histological studies of gene-ablated mice support important functional roles for natural killer cells in the uterus during pregnancy. J Reprod Immunol. 1997;35:111-33 pubmed
- Schreder A, Moschovakis G, Halle S, Schlue J, Lee C, Schippers A, et al. Differential Effects of Gut-Homing Molecules CC Chemokine Receptor 9 and Integrin-Î²7 during Acute Graft-versus-Host Disease of the Liver. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2015;21:2069-2078 pubmed publisher..However, infiltration of donor T cells in gut but not liver was dependent of MAdCAM-1 expression, indicating, that homing and/or retention of donor T cells rests on divergent molecular pathways depending on the GVHD target tissue. ..
- Wagner N, Lohler J, Tedder T, Rajewsky K, Muller W, Steeber D. L-selectin and beta7 integrin synergistically mediate lymphocyte migration to mesenteric lymph nodes. Eur J Immunol. 1998;28:3832-9 pubmed..We conclude that the combination of both molecules, L-selectin and beta7 integrin, is indispensable for MLN formation and that these molecules may mediate lymphocyte migration to MLN in a sequential and synergistical manner. ..
- Stepp M. Alpha9 and beta8 integrin expression correlates with the merger of the developing mouse eyelids. Dev Dyn. 1999;214:216-28 pubmed..The data presented identify specific integrins and matrix proteins that are likely to mediate eyelid fusion. ..
- Kuklin N, Rott L, Darling J, Campbell J, Franco M, Feng N, et al. alpha(4)beta(7) independent pathway for CD8(+) T cell-mediated intestinal immunity to rotavirus. J Clin Invest. 2000;106:1541-52 pubmed..Thus, alpha(4)ss(7) facilitates normal intestinal immune trafficking to the gut, but it is not required for effective CD8(+) T cell immunity. ..
- Davila S, Olive A, Starnbach M. Integrin ?4?1 is necessary for CD4+ T cell-mediated protection against genital Chlamydia trachomatis infection. J Immunol. 2014;192:4284-93 pubmed publisher..trachomatis-infected tissues, we will be better equipped to design vaccines that elicit sterilizing, long-lasting immunity without inducing immune pathologies in the upper genital tract. ..
- Pribila J, Itano A, Mueller K, Shimizu Y. The alpha 1 beta 1 and alpha E beta 7 integrins define a subset of dendritic cells in peripheral lymph nodes with unique adhesive and antigen uptake properties. J Immunol. 2004;172:282-91 pubmed
- Bungartz G, Stiller S, Bauer M, Muller W, Schippers A, Wagner N, et al. Adult murine hematopoiesis can proceed without beta1 and beta7 integrins. Blood. 2006;108:1857-64 pubmed..These data show that alpha4beta1 and alpha4beta7 are not required for blood cell differentiation, although in their absence alterations in numbers and distribution of progenitor cells were observed. ..
- Kruse A, Hallmann R, Butcher E. Specialized patterns of vascular differentiation antigens in the pregnant mouse uterus and the placenta. Biol Reprod. 1999;61:1393-401 pubmed
- Katayama Y, Hidalgo A, Peired A, Frenette P. Integrin alpha4beta7 and its counterreceptor MAdCAM-1 contribute to hematopoietic progenitor recruitment into bone marrow following transplantation. Blood. 2004;104:2020-6 pubmed..Although there may be other alpha4beta7 integrin ligands involved (eg, fibronectin and VCAM-1), these data thus suggest that alpha4beta7 and its counterreceptor MAdCAM-1 represent a novel adhesion pathway mediating HPC homing to BM. ..
- Steeber D, Tang M, Zhang X, Muller W, Wagner N, Tedder T. Efficient lymphocyte migration across high endothelial venules of mouse Peyer's patches requires overlapping expression of L-selectin and beta7 integrin. J Immunol. 1998;161:6638-47 pubmed
- Yu Y, Zhu J, Mi L, Walz T, Sun H, Chen J, et al. Structural specializations of ?(4)?(7), an integrin that mediates rolling adhesion. J Cell Biol. 2012;196:131-46 pubmed publisher..Lack of induction of the open headpiece conformation by ligand binding enables rolling adhesion to persist until integrin activation is signaled. ..
- Park E, Mora J, Carman C, Chen J, Sasaki Y, Cheng G, et al. Aberrant activation of integrin alpha4beta7 suppresses lymphocyte migration to the gut. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:2526-38 pubmed..Our results underscore the importance of a proper balance in the adhesion and de-adhesion of the alpha4beta7 integrin, both for lymphocyte trafficking to the gut and for colitis progression. ..
- Collins C, Ho J, Wilson T, Wermers J, Tlaxca J, Lawrence M, et al. CD44 deficiency attenuates chronic murine ileitis. Gastroenterology. 2008;135:1993-2002 pubmed publisher..Our findings support an important role of CD44 expressed by CD4(+) and CD8(+) for development of ileitis mediated by TNF overproduction. ..
- Xu B, Cook R, Michie S. Alpha4beta7 integrin/MAdCAM-1 adhesion pathway is crucial for B cell migration into pancreatic lymph nodes in nonobese diabetic mice. J Autoimmun. 2010;35:124-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, specific blockage of alpha(4)beta(7) integrin/MAdCAM-1 adhesion pathway-mediated B cell migration may be a potential treatment for T1D. ..