Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Itgav
Description: integrin alpha V
Alias: 1110004F14Rik, 2610028E01Rik, CD51, D430040G12Rik, integrin alpha-V, alpha v integrin, vitronectin receptor alpha polypeptide (VNRA), vitronectin receptor subunit alpha
- Danen E, Sonneveld P, Brakebusch C, Fassler R, Sonnenberg A. The fibronectin-binding integrins alpha5beta1 and alphavbeta3 differentially modulate RhoA-GTP loading, organization of cell matrix adhesions, and fibronectin fibrillogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2002;159:1071-86 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that the pattern of fibronectin receptors expressed on a cell dictates the ability of fibronectin to stimulate RhoA-mediated organization of cell matrix adhesions. ..
- Nishimura S, Boylen K, Einheber S, Milner T, Ramos D, Pytela R. Synaptic and glial localization of the integrin alphavbeta8 in mouse and rat brain. Brain Res. 1998;791:271-82 pubmed..These results demonstrate that alphavbeta8 is present in mature synapses and therefore may play a role in synaptic function. ..
- Yang J, Hynes R. Fibronectin receptor functions in embryonic cells deficient in alpha 5 beta 1 integrin can be replaced by alpha V integrins. Mol Biol Cell. 1996;7:1737-48 pubmed..Finally, our data suggested possible roles for alpha V integrins in replacing the role of alpha 5 beta 1 in FN matrix assembly in vitro and in FN-dependent embryonic functions in vivo. ..
- Tchaicha J, Mobley A, Hossain M, Aldape K, McCarty J. A mosaic mouse model of astrocytoma identifies alphavbeta8 integrin as a negative regulator of tumor angiogenesis. Oncogene. 2010;29:4460-72 pubmed publisher..Finally, these results show that an adhesion and signaling axis normally involved in developmental brain angiogenesis is pathologically exploited in adult brain tumors...
- Travis M, Reizis B, Melton A, Masteller E, Tang Q, Proctor J, et al. Loss of integrin alpha(v)beta8 on dendritic cells causes autoimmunity and colitis in mice. Nature. 2007;449:361-5 pubmed
- Milner R. Microglial expression of alphavbeta3 and alphavbeta5 integrins is regulated by cytokines and the extracellular matrix: beta5 integrin null microglia show no defects in adhesion or MMP-9 expression on vitronectin. Glia. 2009;57:714-23 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, it reveals that the alphavbeta5 integrin is not essential for mediating microglial adhesion and MMP-9 expression in response to vitronectin. ..
- Lämmermann T, Bader B, Monkley S, Worbs T, Wedlich Soldner R, Hirsch K, et al. Rapid leukocyte migration by integrin-independent flowing and squeezing. Nature. 2008;453:51-5 pubmed publisher..Myosin II-dependent contraction is only required on passage through narrow gaps, where a squeezing contraction of the trailing edge propels the rigid nucleus. ..
- Robinson S, Reynolds L, Kostourou V, Reynolds A, da Silva R, Tavora B, et al. Alphav beta3 integrin limits the contribution of neuropilin-1 to vascular endothelial growth factor-induced angiogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:33966-81 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that beta3 integrin may, in part, negatively regulate VEGF signaling by sequestering NRP1 and preventing it from interacting with VEGFR2. ..
- Wang B, Dolinski B, Kikuchi N, Leone D, Peters M, Weinreb P, et al. Role of alphavbeta6 integrin in acute biliary fibrosis. Hepatology. 2007;46:1404-12 pubmed..The findings provide a rationale for the use of inhibitors of alphavbeta6 integrin or TGFbeta for down-regulating fibrosis in the setting of acute or ongoing biliary injury. ..
- Hirota S, Liu Q, Lee H, Hossain M, Lacy Hulbert A, McCarty J. The astrocyte-expressed integrin ?v?8 governs blood vessel sprouting in the developing retina. Development. 2011;138:5157-66 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data demonstrate that ?v?8 integrin is a component of a paracrine signaling axis that links astrocytes to blood vessels and is essential for proper regulation of retinal angiogenesis. ..
- Izawa T, Zou W, Chappel J, Ashley J, Feng X, Teitelbaum S. c-Src links a RANK/?v?3 integrin complex to the osteoclast cytoskeleton. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:2943-53 pubmed publisher..Thus, activated RANK prompts two distinct signaling pathways; one promotes osteoclast formation, and the other, in collaboration with c-Src-mediated linkage to ?v?3, organizes the cell's cytoskeleton. ..
- McCarty J, Lacy Hulbert A, Charest A, Bronson R, Crowley D, Housman D, et al. Selective ablation of alphav integrins in the central nervous system leads to cerebral hemorrhage, seizures, axonal degeneration and premature death. Development. 2005;132:165-76 pubmed
- Barbour W, Saika S, Miyamoto T, Ohkawa K, Utsunomiya H, Ohnishi Y. Expression patterns of beta1-related alpha integrin subunits in murine lens during embryonic development and wound healing. Curr Eye Res. 2004;29:1-10 pubmed
- Huang X, Wu J, Cass D, Erle D, Corry D, Young S, et al. Inactivation of the integrin beta 6 subunit gene reveals a role of epithelial integrins in regulating inflammation in the lung and skin. J Cell Biol. 1996;133:921-8 pubmedThe integrin alpha v beta 6 is only expressed in epithelial cells. In healthy adult epithelia, this receptor is barely detectable, but expression is rapidly induced following epithelial injury...
- Li L, Welser J, Milner R. Absence of the alpha v beta 3 integrin dictates the time-course of angiogenesis in the hypoxic central nervous system: accelerated endothelial proliferation correlates with compensatory increases in alpha 5 beta 1 integrin expression. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2010;30:1031-43 pubmed publisher
- Bader B, Rayburn H, Crowley D, Hynes R. Extensive vasculogenesis, angiogenesis, and organogenesis precede lethality in mice lacking all alpha v integrins. Cell. 1998;95:507-19 pubmed..These results necessitate reevaluation of the primacy of alphav integrins in many functions including vascular development, despite reports that blockade of these integrins with antibodies or peptides prevents angiogenesis. ..
- van der Flier A, Badu Nkansah K, Whittaker C, Crowley D, Bronson R, Lacy Hulbert A, et al. Endothelial alpha5 and alphav integrins cooperate in remodeling of the vasculature during development. Development. 2010;137:2439-49 pubmed publisher..These integrins on other cells, and/or other integrins on endothelial cells, might contribute to fibronectin assembly and vascular development. ..
- Hirsch E, Gullberg D, Balzac F, Altruda F, Silengo L, Tarone G. Alpha v integrin subunit is predominantly located in nervous tissue and skeletal muscle during mouse development. Dev Dyn. 1994;201:108-20 pubmedb>Alpha v integrin subunit can dimerize with different beta subunits to form receptors for several matrix proteins. The function of these receptors in vivo is still largely unknown...
- Melton A, Bailey Bucktrout S, Travis M, Fife B, Bluestone J, Sheppard D. Expression of ?v?8 integrin on dendritic cells regulates Th17 cell development and experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in mice. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:4436-44 pubmed publisher..Our results therefore suggest that the integrin ?v?8 pathway is biologically important and that ?v?8 expression on DCs could be a therapeutic target for the treatment of Th17-driven autoimmune disease. ..
- Fujiwara H, Ferreira M, Donati G, MARCIANO D, Linton J, Sato Y, et al. The basement membrane of hair follicle stem cells is a muscle cell niche. Cell. 2011;144:577-89 pubmed publisher..Thus, bulge stem cells, via nephronectin expression, create a smooth muscle cell niche and act as tendon cells for the APM. Our results reveal a functional role for basement membrane heterogeneity in tissue patterning. PAPERCLIP: ..
- Pinho S, LaCombe J, Hanoun M, Mizoguchi T, Bruns I, Kunisaki Y, et al. PDGFR? and CD51 mark human nestin+ sphere-forming mesenchymal stem cells capable of hematopoietic progenitor cell expansion. J Exp Med. 2013;210:1351-67 pubmed publisher..In this study, we show that the expression of PDGFR? and CD51 among CD45? Ter119? CD31? mouse bone marrow (BM) stromal cells characterizes a large fraction of Nestin? cells, ..
- Jenkins R, Su X, Su G, Scotton C, Camerer E, Laurent G, et al. Ligation of protease-activated receptor 1 enhances alpha(v)beta6 integrin-dependent TGF-beta activation and promotes acute lung injury. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:1606-14 pubmed
- Edwards J, Thornton A, Shevach E. Release of active TGF-Î²1 from the latent TGF-Î²1/GARP complex on T regulatory cells is mediated by integrin Î²8. J Immunol. 2014;193:2843-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, integrin Î±vÎ²8 is a marker of tTregs and functions in a cell intrinsic manner in mediating the processing of latent TGF-Î²1 from the latent TGF-Î²1/GARP complex on the surface of tTregs. ..
- Hayek S, Koh K, Grams M, Wei C, Ko Y, Li J, et al. A tripartite complex of suPAR, APOL1 risk variants and ?v?3 integrin on podocytes mediates chronic kidney disease. Nat Med. 2017;23:945-953 pubmed publisher..The synergy of circulating factor suPAR and APOL1 G1 or G2 on ?v?3 integrin activation is a mechanism for CKD. ..
- Friggeri A, Yang Y, Banerjee S, Park Y, Liu G, Abraham E. HMGB1 inhibits macrophage activity in efferocytosis through binding to the alphavbeta3-integrin. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010;299:C1267-76 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that HMGB1 blocks ?(v)?(3)-dependent recognition and uptake of apoptotic cells. ..
- Mamuya F, Wang Y, Roop V, Scheiblin D, Zajac J, Duncan M. The roles of ?V integrins in lens EMT and posterior capsular opacification. J Cell Mol Med. 2014;18:656-70 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that therapeutics antagonizing ?V integrin function could be used to prevent fibrotic PCO following cataract surgery. ..
- Boisset J, Clapes T, van der Linden R, Dzierzak E, Robin C. Integrin ?IIb (CD41) plays a role in the maintenance of hematopoietic stem cell activity in the mouse embryonic aorta. Biol Open. 2013;2:525-32 pubmed publisher..IIb pairs exclusively with ?3 to form the ?IIb?3 integrin. ?3 (CD61) also pairs with ?v (CD51) to form the ?v?3 integrin...
- Rucci N, DiGiacinto C, Orrù L, Millimaggi D, Baron R, Teti A. A novel protein kinase C alpha-dependent signal to ERK1/2 activated by alphaVbeta3 integrin in osteoclasts and in Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:3263-75 pubmed
- Finnemann S, Nandrot E. MerTK activation during RPE phagocytosis in vivo requires alphaVbeta5 integrin. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2006;572:499-503 pubmed
- Kang S, Okuno T, Takegahara N, Takamatsu H, Nojima S, Kimura T, et al. Intestinal epithelial cell-derived semaphorin 7A negatively regulates development of colitis via ?v?1 integrin. J Immunol. 2012;188:1108-16 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings not only indicate that Sema7A plays crucial roles in suppressing intestinal inflammation through ?v?1 integrin, but also provide a novel mode of IL-10 induction via interactions between IECs and M?s. ..
- Belleri M, Ribatti D, Savio M, Stivala L, Forti L, Tanghetti E, et al. alphavbeta3 Integrin-dependent antiangiogenic activity of resveratrol stereoisomers. Mol Cancer Ther. 2008;7:3761-70 pubmed publisher..This may have profound implications for the design of synthetic antiangiogenic/angiopreventive phytoalexin derivatives. ..
- Liu J, He X, Corbett S, Lowry S, Graham A, Fassler R, et al. Integrins are required for the differentiation of visceral endoderm. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:233-42 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest that integrins are required for both the stable adhesion and maturation of visceral endoderm, the latter being mediated through the activation of ERK1/2 and p38 MAPK. ..
- Kitase Y, Yamashiro K, Fu K, Richman J, Shuler C. Spatiotemporal localization of periostin and its potential role in epithelial-mesenchymal transition during palatal fusion. Cells Tissues Organs. 2011;193:53-63 pubmed publisher..The result is that select MEE establish interactions with periostin in the mesenchymal extracellular matrix, and these new cell-matrix interactions may regulate MEE transdifferentiation during palatal fusion. ..
- Liu L, He B, Liu W, Zhou D, Cox J, Zhang X. Tetraspanin CD151 promotes cell migration by regulating integrin trafficking. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:31631-42 pubmed..In conclusion, the YXXvarphi motif-mediated internalization of CD151 promotes integrin-dependent cell migration by modulating the endocytosis and/or vesicular trafficking of its associated integrins. ..
- Quast T, Tappertzhofen B, Schild C, Grell J, Czeloth N, Forster R, et al. Cytohesin-1 controls the activation of RhoA and modulates integrin-dependent adhesion and migration of dendritic cells. Blood. 2009;113:5801-10 pubmed publisher..We thus demonstrate an essential role of cytohesin-1/RhoA during ameboid migration in the presence of integrins and further suggest that DCs without integrins switch to a different migration mode. ..
- Jung Y, Han S, Kim G, Jeong J, Kim H, Choi J. DICAM inhibits osteoclast differentiation through attenuation of the integrin ?V?3 pathway. J Bone Miner Res. 2012;27:2024-34 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that DICAM acts as a negative regulator of osteoclast differentiation by suppressing the integrin ?V?3 pathway. ..
- Aziz M, Ishihara S, Mishima Y, Oshima N, Moriyama I, Yuki T, et al. MFG-E8 attenuates intestinal inflammation in murine experimental colitis by modulating osteopontin-dependent alphavbeta3 integrin signaling. J Immunol. 2009;182:7222-32 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicated that MFG-E8 has a novel therapeutic potential for treatment of colitis. ..
- Katsumi A, Naoe T, Matsushita T, Kaibuchi K, Schwartz M. Integrin activation and matrix binding mediate cellular responses to mechanical stretch. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:16546-9 pubmed..Mechanical stretch stimulation of JNK was dependent on new integrin binding to extracellular matrix. These data define a molecular mechanism for the role of integrins in mechanotransduction. ..
- Conti F, Monkley S, Wood M, Critchley D, Muller U. Talin 1 and 2 are required for myoblast fusion, sarcomere assembly and the maintenance of myotendinous junctions. Development. 2009;136:3597-606 pubmed publisher..We conclude that talin 1 and 2 are crucial for skeletal muscle development, where they regulate myoblast fusion, sarcomere assembly and the maintenance of MTJs. ..
- Daeichin V, Kooiman K, Skachkov I, Bosch J, Theelen T, Steiger K, et al. Quantification of Endothelial ?v?3 Expression with High-Frequency Ultrasound and Targeted Microbubbles: In Vitro and In Vivo Studies. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2016;42:2283-93 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ?v?3-targeted UCA allows non-invasive assessment of the expression levels of ?v?3 on the vascular endothelium and may provide potential insights into early atherosclerotic plaque detection and treatment monitoring. ..
- Kaneko K, Ito M, Naoe Y, Lacy Hulbert A, Ikeda K. Integrin ?v in the mechanical response of osteoblast lineage cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;447:352-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, integrin ?v may be integral to a mechanosensing machinery in osteoblastic cells and involved in activation of a Src-JNK-YAP/TAZ pathway in response to mechanical stimulation. ..
- Monks J, Rosner D, Geske F, Lehman L, Hanson L, Neville M, et al. Epithelial cells as phagocytes: apoptotic epithelial cells are engulfed by mammary alveolar epithelial cells and repress inflammatory mediator release. Cell Death Differ. 2005;12:107-14 pubmed..These data support the hypothesis that amateur phagocytes play a significant role in apoptotic cell clearance and its regulation of inflammation. ..
- Acharya M, Sokolovska A, Tam J, Conway K, Stefani C, Raso F, et al. αv Integrins combine with LC3 and atg5 to regulate Toll-like receptor signalling in B cells. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10917 pubmed publisher..This work identifies a previously unrecognized role for αv and the autophagy components LC3 and atg5 in regulating TLR signalling and B-cell immunity. ..
- Inoue M, Namba N, Chappel J, Teitelbaum S, Ross F. Granulocyte macrophage-colony stimulating factor reciprocally regulates alphav-associated integrins on murine osteoclast precursors. Mol Endocrinol. 1998;12:1955-62 pubmed..Thus, while GM-CSF may participate in modulation of alphavbeta5 during osteoclast differentiation, signals other than those derived from the cytokine must regulate expression of alphavbeta3. ..
- HARLOW D, Saul K, Komuro H, Macklin W. Myelin Proteolipid Protein Complexes with Î±v Integrin and AMPA Receptors In Vivo and Regulates AMPA-Dependent Oligodendrocyte Progenitor Cell Migration through the Modulation of Cell-Surface GluR2 Expression. J Neurosci. 2015;35:12018-32 pubmed publisher..Altered glutamate homeostasis has been reported in demyelinated lesions. Therefore, understanding how OPCs respond to glutamate has important implications for treatment after white matter injury and disease. ..
- Morelli A, Larregina A, Shufesky W, Sullivan M, Stolz D, Papworth G, et al. Endocytosis, intracellular sorting, and processing of exosomes by dendritic cells. Blood. 2004;104:3257-66 pubmed
- Rognoni E, Widmaier M, Jakobson M, Ruppert R, Ussar S, Katsougkri D, et al. Kindlin-1 controls Wnt and TGF-? availability to regulate cutaneous stem cell proliferation. Nat Med. 2014;20:350-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings assign Kindlin-1 the previously unknown and essential task of controlling cutaneous epithelial stem cell homeostasis by balancing TGF-?-mediated growth-inhibitory signals and Wnt-?-catenin-mediated growth-promoting signals. ..
- Canonici A, Pellegrino E, Siret C, Terciolo C, Czerucka D, Bastonero S, et al. Saccharomyces boulardii improves intestinal epithelial cell restitution by inhibiting ?v?5 integrin activation state. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45047 pubmed publisher..This could be of major importance in diseases characterized by severe mucosal injury, such as inflammatory and infectious bowel diseases. ..