Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Itga7
Description: integrin alpha 7
Alias: alpha7, integrin alpha-7
- Liu J, Burkin D, Kaufman S. Increasing alpha 7 beta 1-integrin promotes muscle cell proliferation, adhesion, and resistance to apoptosis without changing gene expression. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;294:C627-40 pubmed..These results support the use of integrin enhancement as a therapy for muscular dystrophy. ..
- Martin P, Kaufman S, Kramer R, Sanes J. Synaptic integrins in developing, adult, and mutant muscle: selective association of alpha1, alpha7A, and alpha7B integrins with the neuromuscular junction. Dev Biol. 1996;174:125-39 pubmed..alpha1 chain was selectively associated with presynaptic cells (Schwann cells and/or nerve terminals), while alpha7 was present on both synaptic and extrasynaptic portions of the muscle fiber surface...
- Sutherland A, Calarco P, Damsky C. Developmental regulation of integrin expression at the time of implantation in the mouse embryo. Development. 1993;119:1175-86 pubmed..abstract truncated at 400 words) ..
- Yao C, Ziober B, Sutherland A, Mendrick D, Kramer R. Laminins promote the locomotion of skeletal myoblasts via the alpha 7 integrin receptor. J Cell Sci. 1996;109 ( Pt 13):3139-50 pubmed..These results established that alpha 7 beta 1 receptor can promote myoblast adhesion and motility on a restricted number of laminin isoforms and may be important in myogenic precursor recruitment during regeneration and differentiation. ..
- Gimond C, Baudoin C, van der Neut R, Kramer D, Calafat J, Sonnenberg A. Cre-loxP-mediated inactivation of the alpha6A integrin splice variant in vivo: evidence for a specific functional role of alpha6A in lymphocyte migration but not in heart development. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:253-66 pubmed..Nevertheless, the expression of alpha6A might be necessary for optimal lymphocyte migration on laminin in certain pathological conditions. ..
- Bajanca F, Luz M, Duxson M, Thorsteinsdóttir S. Integrins in the mouse myotome: developmental changes and differences between the epaxial and hypaxial lineage. Dev Dyn. 2004;231:402-15 pubmed..Here, we describe the expression patterns of the alpha1, alpha4, alpha5, alpha6, and alpha7 integrin subunits in the mouse myotome and correlate them with the expression of several differentiation markers...
- Allikian M, Hack A, Mewborn S, Mayer U, McNally E. Genetic compensation for sarcoglycan loss by integrin alpha7beta1 in muscle. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:3821-30 pubmed..Mice lacking integrin alpha7 develop mild muscle degeneration, while sarcoglycan mutant mice display overt muscle degeneration and muscular ..
- Strumpf D, Mao C, Yamanaka Y, Ralston A, Chawengsaksophak K, Beck F, et al. Cdx2 is required for correct cell fate specification and differentiation of trophectoderm in the mouse blastocyst. Development. 2005;132:2093-102 pubmed..Thus, Cdx2 is essential for segregation of the ICM and TE lineages at the blastocyst stage by ensuring repression of Oct4 and Nanog in the TE. ..
- Boppart M, Burkin D, Kaufman S. Alpha7beta1-integrin regulates mechanotransduction and prevents skeletal muscle injury. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2006;290:C1660-5 pubmed..These experiments provide the first evidence that alpha7beta1-integrin is a negative regulator of mechanotransduction in vivo and provides resistance to exercise-induced muscle damage. ..
- Chaen T, Konno T, Egashira M, Bai R, Nomura N, Nomura S, et al. Estrogen-dependent uterine secretion of osteopontin activates blastocyst adhesion competence. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48933 pubmed publisher..These findings define for the first time specific regulatory components of an estrogen-dependent pathway coordinating blastocyst adhesion competence and uterine receptivity...
- Pun S, Sigrist M, Santos A, Ruegg M, Sanes J, Jessell T, et al. An intrinsic distinction in neuromuscular junction assembly and maintenance in different skeletal muscles. Neuron. 2002;34:357-70 pubmed..Our results show that postsynaptic differentiation processes intrinsic to FaSyn and DeSyn muscles influence the formation of NMJs during development and their maintenance in the adult. ..
- Doe J, Kaindl A, Jijiwa M, de la Vega M, Hu H, Griffiths G, et al. PTRH2 gene mutation causes progressive congenital skeletal muscle pathology. Hum Mol Genet. 2017;26:1458-1464 pubmed publisher..Our data establishes a PTRH2 mutation as a novel driver of congenital muscle degeneration and identifies a potential novel target to treat muscle myopathies. ..
- Han R, Kanagawa M, Yoshida Moriguchi T, Rader E, Ng R, Michele D, et al. Basal lamina strengthens cell membrane integrity via the laminin G domain-binding motif of alpha-dystroglycan. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:12573-9 pubmed publisher..Here we show that both dystroglycan and integrin alpha7 contribute to force-production of muscles, but that only disruption of dystroglycan causes detachment of the basal ..
- Marshall J, Oh J, Chou E, Lee J, Holmberg J, Burkin D, et al. Sarcospan integration into laminin-binding adhesion complexes that ameliorate muscular dystrophy requires utrophin and Î±7 integrin. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:2011-22 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we found that association of sarcospan into laminin-binding complexes is dependent on utrophin and Î±7Î²1 integrin. ..
- Lathia J, Patton B, Eckley D, Magnus T, Mughal M, Sasaki T, et al. Patterns of laminins and integrins in the embryonic ventricular zone of the CNS. J Comp Neurol. 2007;505:630-43 pubmed
- Gupton S, Gertler F. Integrin signaling switches the cytoskeletal and exocytic machinery that drives neuritogenesis. Dev Cell. 2010;18:725-36 pubmed publisher..These regulated changes and coordination of cytoskeletal and exocytic machinery may be used in other physiological contexts involving cell motility and morphogenesis. ..
- Gurpur P, Liu J, Burkin D, Kaufman S. Valproic acid activates the PI3K/Akt/mTOR pathway in muscle and ameliorates pathology in a mouse model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Am J Pathol. 2009;174:999-1008 pubmed publisher..Transgenic overexpression of the alpha7 integrin in mdx/utrn(-/-) mice, a model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy ameliorates the disease...
- Gardiner N, Fernyhough P, Tomlinson D, Mayer U, von der Mark H, Streuli C. Alpha7 integrin mediates neurite outgrowth of distinct populations of adult sensory neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005;28:229-40 pubmed..Following sciatic nerve crush, alpha7 integrin is expressed by medium-large diameter, NF200-immunoreactive (IR), and medium diameter, CGRP-IR, neurons, ..
- Song W, Wang W, Foster R, Bielser D, Kaufman S. H36-alpha 7 is a novel integrin alpha chain that is developmentally regulated during skeletal myogenesis. J Cell Biol. 1992;117:643-57 pubmed..We conclude that H36-alpha 7 is a novel alpha integrin laminin binding protein whose expression is developmentally regulated during skeletal myogenesis. ..
- van Der Flier A, Gaspar A, Thorsteinsdottir S, Baudoin C, Groeneveld E, Mummery C, et al. Spatial and temporal expression of the beta1D integrin during mouse development. Dev Dyn. 1997;210:472-86 pubmed..The switch from the beta1A to the beta1D subunit in cardiac muscle cells coincides with the expression of alpha7. In adults there is a distinct concentration of beta1D at the myotendinous junctions of muscle fibers and at ..
- Leung E, Lim S, Berg R, Yang Y, Ni J, Wang S, et al. A novel extracellular domain variant of the human integrin alpha 7 subunit generated by alternative intron splicing. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;243:317-25 pubmedThe integrin alpha 7 beta 1 laminin receptor, which is expressed on replicating myoblasts, and upregulated during myogenic differentiation, is involved in cell adhesion and communication between muscle cells and the extracellular matrix...
- von der Mark H, Williams I, Wendler O, Sorokin L, von der Mark K, Poschl E. Alternative splice variants of alpha 7 beta 1 integrin selectively recognize different laminin isoforms. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:6012-6 pubmed
- Klaffky E, Williams R, Yao C, Ziober B, Kramer R, Sutherland A. Trophoblast-specific expression and function of the integrin alpha 7 subunit in the peri-implantation mouse embryo. Dev Biol. 2001;239:161-75 pubmed..We have identified integrin alpha 7 beta 1 as a major receptor for trophoblast-laminin interactions during implantation and yolk sac placenta ..
- Cachaço A, Pereira C, Pardal R, Bajanca F, Thorsteinsdóttir S. Integrin repertoire on myogenic cells changes during the course of primary myogenesis in the mouse. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:1069-78 pubmed..Thus, myogenic cells change their integrin expression pattern during the course of primary myogenesis in the mouse, suggesting different roles for fibronectin- and laminin-containing matrices in this process. ..
- Kaufman S, Foster R, Haye K, Faiman L. Expression of a developmentally regulated antigen on the surface of skeletal and cardiac muscle cells. J Cell Biol. 1985;100:1977-87 pubmed..We conclude that H36 is a muscle-specific, developmentally regulated cell-surface antigen that may have a role in myoblast differentiation and that can be used to determine the embryonic lineages of skeletal and cardiac muscle. ..
- Zolkiewska A, Moss J. Processing of ADP-ribosylated integrin alpha 7 in skeletal muscle myotubes. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:9227-33 pubmedb>Integrin alpha 7 is a major substrate in skeletal muscle cells for the cell surface, glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored, arginine-specific ADP-ribosyltransferase...
- Hierck B, Poelmann R, Van Iperen L, Brouwer A, Gittenberger de Groot A. Differential expression of alpha-6 and other subunits of laminin binding integrins during development of the murine heart. Dev Dyn. 1996;206:100-11 pubmed..This study suggests a distinct role for alpha-6-beta-1 in the heart and provides insight concerning probably important roles of integrins and their extracellular matrix ligands during embryonic development. ..
- Gheyara A, Vallejo Illarramendi A, Zang K, Mei L, St Arnaud R, Dedhar S, et al. Deletion of integrin-linked kinase from skeletal muscles of mice resembles muscular dystrophy due to alpha 7 beta 1-integrin deficiency. Am J Pathol. 2007;171:1966-77 pubmed..These findings resemble those seen in humans and mice lacking the alpha 7-integrin subunit and suggest that Ilk may act as a cytoplasmic effector of alpha 7 beta1-integrin in the pathogenesis of these deficiencies. ..
- Previtali S, Dina G, Nodari A, Fasolini M, Wrabetz L, Mayer U, et al. Schwann cells synthesize alpha7beta1 integrin which is dispensable for peripheral nerve development and myelination. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2003;23:210-8 pubmed..The expression of alpha7 appears postnatally, such that alpha7beta1 is the last laminin receptor expressed by differentiating Schwann cells...
- Ekstrom P, Mayer U, Panjwani A, Pountney D, Pizzey J, Tonge D. Involvement of alpha7beta1 integrin in the conditioning-lesion effect on sensory axon regeneration. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2003;22:383-95 pubmed..in motor and sensory neurons increases following nerve lesions and motor axon regeneration is impaired in alpha7 integrin KO mice (J. Neurosci. 20, 1822-1830)...
- Hanft L, Bogan D, Mayer U, Kaufman S, Kornegay J, Ervasti J. Cytoplasmic gamma-actin expression in diverse animal models of muscular dystrophy. Neuromuscul Disord. 2007;17:569-74 pubmed..other dystrophic animal models, including mice deficient in beta-sarcoglycan, alpha-dystrobrevin, laminin-2, or alpha7 integrin...
- Kaji K, Nichols J, Hendrich B. Mbd3, a component of the NuRD co-repressor complex, is required for development of pluripotent cells. Development. 2007;134:1123-32 pubmed
- Velling T, Collo G, Sorokin L, Durbeej M, Zhang H, Gullberg D. Distinct alpha 7A beta 1 and alpha 7B beta 1 integrin expression patterns during mouse development: alpha 7A is restricted to skeletal muscle but alpha 7B is expressed in striated muscle, vasculature, and nervous system. Dev Dyn. 1996;207:355-71 pubmed..We conclude that the alpha 7A and alpha 7B integrin variants are expressed in a developmentally regulated, tissue-specific pattern suggesting different functions for the two splice forms. ..
- Negrón Pérez V, Echevarria F, Huffman S, Rivera R. Determination of allelic expression of h19 in pre- and peri-implantation mouse embryos. Biol Reprod. 2013;88:97 pubmed publisher..TaqMan probes for Dek, Pou5f1, Itga7, H19, and Igf2 were used to ascertain gene expression enrichment in each section...
- Marshall J, Chou E, Oh J, Kwok A, Burkin D, Crosbie Watson R. Dystrophin and utrophin expression require sarcospan: loss of ?7 integrin exacerbates a newly discovered muscle phenotype in sarcospan-null mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:4378-93 pubmed..We demonstrate that SSPN is a necessary component of dystrophin and Utr function and that SSPN modulation of integrin signaling is required for extracellular matrix attachment and muscle force development. ..
- Brancaccio M, Cabodi S, Belkin A, Collo G, Koteliansky V, Tomatis D, et al. Differential onset of expression of alpha 7 and beta 1D integrins during mouse heart and skeletal muscle development. Cell Adhes Commun. 1998;5:193-205 pubmed..In conclusion these data show that the expression of the beta 1D muscle specific integrin during development occurs much earlier in heart than in skeletal muscle and it can dimerize with different alpha subunits. ..
- Ray A, Treloar H. IgSF8: a developmentally and functionally regulated cell adhesion molecule in olfactory sensory neuron axons and synapses. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2012;50:238-49 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that IgSF8 facilitates OSN synapse formation. ..
- Heydemann A, Doherty K, McNally E. Genetic modifiers of muscular dystrophy: implications for therapy. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1772:216-28 pubmed..The value of these genes and products is that the pathways identified through these experiments may be exploited for therapy. ..
- Rossant J, Chazaud C, Yamanaka Y. Lineage allocation and asymmetries in the early mouse embryo. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2003;358:1341-8; discussion 1349 pubmed
- Xiao J, Jethanandani P, Ziober B, Kramer R. Regulation of alpha7 integrin expression during muscle differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:49780-8 pubmedExpression of the laminin-binding alpha7 integrin is tightly regulated during myogenic differentiation, reflecting required functions that range from cell motility to formation of stable myotendinous junctions...
- Blaess S, Graus Porta D, Belvindrah R, Radakovits R, Pons S, Littlewood Evans A, et al. Beta1-integrins are critical for cerebellar granule cell precursor proliferation. J Neurosci. 2004;24:3402-12 pubmed
- Kramer R, Vu M, Cheng Y, Ramos D, Timpl R, Waleh N. Laminin-binding integrin alpha 7 beta 1: functional characterization and expression in normal and malignant melanocytes. Cell Regul. 1991;2:805-17 pubmed..These results establish the existence of a novel integrin that binds to the E8 domain of laminin and appears to mediate cell adhesion to this ligand. ..
- Liu J, Gurpur P, Kaufman S. Genetically determined proteolytic cleavage modulates alpha7beta1 integrin function. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:35668-78 pubmed publisher..Here we report a species-specific difference in alpha7 chains that results from an intra-peptide proteolytic cleavage, by a serine protease, at the 603RRQ605 site...
- Häger M, Bigotti M, Meszaros R, Carmignac V, Holmberg J, Allamand V, et al. Cib2 binds integrin alpha7Bbeta1D and is reduced in laminin alpha2 chain-deficient muscular dystrophy. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:24760-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrate that Cib2 is a calcium-binding protein that interacts with integrin alpha7Bbeta1D. Thus, our data suggest a role for Cib2 as a cytoplasmic effector of integrin alpha7Bbeta1D signaling in skeletal muscle...
- Nishioka N, Yamamoto S, Kiyonari H, Sato H, Sawada A, Ota M, et al. Tead4 is required for specification of trophectoderm in pre-implantation mouse embryos. Mech Dev. 2008;125:270-83 pubmed
- Welser J, Lange N, Flintoff Dye N, Burkin H, Burkin D. Placental defects in alpha7 integrin null mice. Placenta. 2007;28:1219-28 pubmed..Loss of the alpha7 integrin chain results in partial embryonic lethality...
- Rooney J, Welser J, Dechert M, Flintoff Dye N, Kaufman S, Burkin D. Severe muscular dystrophy in mice that lack dystrophin and alpha7 integrin. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:2185-95 pubmed..Mutations in the alpha7 integrin gene cause congenital myopathy in humans and mice...
- Tomatis D, Echtermayer F, Schober S, Balzac F, Retta S, Silengo L, et al. The muscle-specific laminin receptor alpha7 beta1 integrin negatively regulates alpha5 beta1 fibronectin receptor function. Exp Cell Res. 1999;246:421-32 pubmedb>alpha7 beta1 is the major integrin complex expressed in differentiated muscle cells where it functions as a laminin receptor...
- Welser J, Lange N, Singer C, Elorza M, Scowen P, Keef K, et al. Loss of the alpha7 integrin promotes extracellular signal-regulated kinase activation and altered vascular remodeling. Circ Res. 2007;101:672-81 pubmed..In this study, we show that loss of the alpha7 integrin in VSMCs results in activation of the extracellular signal-regulated kinase and translocation of the ..