Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Itga5
Description: integrin alpha 5 (fibronectin receptor alpha)
Alias: Cd49e, Fnra, VLA5, integrin alpha-5, CD49 antigen-like family member E, fibronectin receptor alpha polypeptide, fibronectin receptor subunit alpha, integrin alpha-F
- Tanjore H, Zeisberg E, Gerami Naini B, Kalluri R. Beta1 integrin expression on endothelial cells is required for angiogenesis but not for vasculogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:75-82 pubmed..These results indicate that beta1 integrin expression on vascular endothelial cells is crucial for embryonic angiogenesis but dispensable for vasculogenesis. ..
- Yang J, Bader B, Kreidberg J, Ullman Cullere M, Trevithick J, Hynes R. Overlapping and independent functions of fibronectin receptor integrins in early mesodermal development. Dev Biol. 1999;215:264-77 pubmed
- van der Flier A, Badu Nkansah K, Whittaker C, Crowley D, Bronson R, Lacy Hulbert A, et al. Endothelial alpha5 and alphav integrins cooperate in remodeling of the vasculature during development. Development. 2010;137:2439-49 pubmed publisher..These integrins on other cells, and/or other integrins on endothelial cells, might contribute to fibronectin assembly and vascular development. ..
- Taverna D, Ullman Cullere M, Rayburn H, Bronson R, Hynes R. A test of the role of alpha5 integrin/fibronectin interactions in tumorigenesis. Cancer Res. 1998;58:848-53 pubmed..We conclude that, in the genetic backgrounds studied here, loss of fibronectin or alpha5beta1 integrin does not contribute to tumorigenesis or metastasis. ..
- Goh K, Yang J, Hynes R. Mesodermal defects and cranial neural crest apoptosis in alpha5 integrin-null embryos. Development. 1997;124:4309-19 pubmed
- Turner C, Badu Nkansah K, Crowley D, van der Flier A, Hynes R. Integrin-?5?1 is not required for mural cell functions during development of blood vessels but is required for lymphatic-blood vessel separation and lymphovenous valve formation. Dev Biol. 2014;392:381-92 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that deletion of the gene encoding the integrin-?5 subunit (Itga5) using the Pdgfrb-Cre transgenic mouse line, leads to oedema, haemorrhage and increased levels of embryonic ..
- Pulina M, Hou S, Mittal A, Jülich D, Whittaker C, Holley S, et al. Essential roles of fibronectin in the development of the left-right embryonic body plan. Dev Biol. 2011;354:208-20 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our studies demonstrate the requisite role for a structural ECM protein and its integrin receptor in the development of the left-right axis of asymmetry in vertebrates. ..
- Sutherland A, Calarco P, Damsky C. Developmental regulation of integrin expression at the time of implantation in the mouse embryo. Development. 1993;119:1175-86 pubmed..abstract truncated at 400 words) ..
- Yoshida N, Hishiyama S, Yamaguchi M, Hashiguchi M, Miyamoto Y, Kaminogawa S, et al. Decrease in expression of alpha 5 beta 1 integrin during neuronal differentiation of cortical progenitor cells. Exp Cell Res. 2003;287:262-71 pubmed..These findings suggest that alpha(5)beta(1) expression on cortical progenitor cells is developmentally regulated and its downregulation is involved in the process of neuronal differentiation. ..
- Dodig M, Ogunwale B, Dasarathy S, Li M, Wang B, McCullough A. Differences in regulation of type I collagen synthesis in primary and passaged hepatic stellate cell cultures: the role of alpha5beta1-integrin. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2007;293:G154-64 pubmed..Therefore alpha(5)beta(1)-integrin is an important regulator of type I collagen production in early primary HSC cultures but appears to have no direct role once the HSC are fully activated. ..
- Qu F, LORENZO D, King S, Brooks R, Bear J, Bennett V. Ankyrin-B is a PI3P effector that promotes polarized ?5?1-integrin recycling via recruiting RabGAP1L to early endosomes. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our results reveal AnkB as an unexpected key element in coordinating polarized transport of ?5?1-integrin and likely of other specialized endocytic cargos. ..
- Guo H, Lee I, Bryan B, Pierce M. Deletion of mouse embryo fibroblast N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase V stimulates alpha5beta1 integrin expression mediated by the protein kinase C signaling pathway. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:8332-42 pubmed
- McCarty J, Lacy Hulbert A, Charest A, Bronson R, Crowley D, Housman D, et al. Selective ablation of alphav integrins in the central nervous system leads to cerebral hemorrhage, seizures, axonal degeneration and premature death. Development. 2005;132:165-76 pubmed
- Tomatis D, Echtermayer F, Schober S, Balzac F, Retta S, Silengo L, et al. The muscle-specific laminin receptor alpha7 beta1 integrin negatively regulates alpha5 beta1 fibronectin receptor function. Exp Cell Res. 1999;246:421-32 pubmed..In conclusion, the data reported establish the existence of a negative cooperativity between alpha7 and alpha5 integrins that may be important in determining functional regulation of integrins during myogenic differentiation. ..
- Shiojiri N, Sugiyama Y. Immunolocalization of extracellular matrix components and integrins during mouse liver development. Hepatology. 2004;40:346-55 pubmed..Supplementary material for this article can be found on the HEPATOLOGY website (http://interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0270-9139/suppmat/index.html). ..
- Sil H, Sen T, Chatterjee A. Fibronectin-integrin (alpha5beta1) modulates migration and invasion of murine melanoma cell line B16F10 by involving MMP-9. Oncol Res. 2011;19:335-48 pubmed..This system serves as a novel model system to understand the molecular mechanism of melanoma growth and invasion. ..
- Yamada S, Brown K, Yamada K. Differential mRNA regulation of integrin subunits alpha V, beta 1, beta 3, and beta 5 during mouse embryonic organogenesis. Cell Adhes Commun. 1995;3:311-25 pubmed..The beta 5 integrin is unique in its degree of tissue-specific mRNA regulation associated with morphogenesis of embryonic organs. ..
- Arroyo A, Taverna D, Whittaker C, Strauch U, Bader B, Rayburn H, et al. In vivo roles of integrins during leukocyte development and traffic: insights from the analysis of mice chimeric for alpha 5, alpha v, and alpha 4 integrins. J Immunol. 2000;165:4667-75 pubmed..These results show that integrins play distinct roles during in vivo leukocyte development and traffic. ..
- Lemieux J, Horowitz M, Kacena M. Involvement of integrins alpha(3)beta(1) and alpha(5)beta(1) and glycoprotein IIb in megakaryocyte-induced osteoblast proliferation. J Cell Biochem. 2010;109:927-32 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that although their physiologic and clinical implications are very different, these two models of hematopoietic-mesenchymal cell activation are mechanistically analogous in several ways. ..
- Batra N, Burra S, Siller Jackson A, Gu S, Xia X, Weber G, et al. Mechanical stress-activated integrin ?5?1 induces opening of connexin 43 hemichannels. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:3359-64 pubmed publisher..These results identify an unconventional function of integrin that acts as a mechanical tether to induce opening of the HC and provide a mechanism connecting the effect of mechanical forces directly to anabolic function of the bone...
- Geng X, Cha B, Mahamud M, Lim K, Silasi Mansat R, Uddin M, et al. Multiple mouse models of primary lymphedema exhibit distinct defects in lymphovenous valve development. Dev Biol. 2016;409:218-233 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have provided the first and the most comprehensive analysis of LVV development. Furthermore, our work suggests that aberrant LVVs contribute to lymphedema. ..
- Barbour W, Saika S, Miyamoto T, Ohkawa K, Utsunomiya H, Ohnishi Y. Expression patterns of beta1-related alpha integrin subunits in murine lens during embryonic development and wound healing. Curr Eye Res. 2004;29:1-10 pubmed
- Jia D, Zhu Q, Liu H, Zuo C, He Y, Chen G, et al. Osteoprotegerin Disruption Attenuates HySu-Induced Pulmonary Hypertension Through Integrin ?v?3/FAK/AKT Pathway Suppression. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..Osteoprotegerin facilitates PAH pathogenesis by regulating pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cell proliferation, suggesting that it may be a potential biomarker and therapeutic target in this disease. ..
- Wu X, Sun Z, Foskett A, Trzeciakowski J, Meininger G, Muthuchamy M. Cardiomyocyte contractile status is associated with differences in fibronectin and integrin interactions. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010;298:H2071-81 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results demonstrate that integrin binding to FN is modulated by the contractile state of cardiac myocytes...
- Sampaio A, Zahn G, Leoni G, Vossmeyer D, Christner C, Marshall J, et al. Inflammation-dependent alpha 5 beta 1 (very late antigen-5) expression on leukocytes reveals a functional role for this integrin in acute peritonitis. J Leukoc Biol. 2010;87:877-84 pubmed publisher..This is the first report that identifies a functional role for alpha 5 beta 1 in leukocyte trafficking during acute inflammation. ..
- Yang J, Boerm M, McCarty M, Bucana C, Fidler I, Zhuang Y, et al. Mekk3 is essential for early embryonic cardiovascular development. Nat Genet. 2000;24:309-13 pubmed..We conclude that Mekk3 is necessary for blood vessel development and may be a possible target for drugs that control angiogenesis. ..
- Welser J, Lange N, Flintoff Dye N, Burkin H, Burkin D. Placental defects in alpha7 integrin null mice. Placenta. 2007;28:1219-28 pubmed..Together our results confirm a role for the alpha7beta1 integrin in placental vascular development and demonstrate for the first time that loss of the alpha7 integrin results in placental defects. ..
- Yun S, Budatha M, Dahlman J, Coon B, Cameron R, Langer R, et al. Interaction between integrin ?5 and PDE4D regulates endothelial inflammatory signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2016;18:1043-53 pubmed publisher..In vivo knockdown of PDE4D5 inhibited inflammation at athero-prone sites. These data elucidate a molecular mechanism linking ECM remodelling and inflammation, thereby identifying a new class of therapeutic targets. ..
- Cheresh D, Stupack D. Integrin-mediated death: an explanation of the integrin-knockout phenotype?. Nat Med. 2002;8:193-4 pubmed
- Li L, Welser J, Milner R. Absence of the alpha v beta 3 integrin dictates the time-course of angiogenesis in the hypoxic central nervous system: accelerated endothelial proliferation correlates with compensatory increases in alpha 5 beta 1 integrin expression. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2010;30:1031-43 pubmed publisher
- Sun X, Fu Y, Gu M, Zhang L, Li D, Li H, et al. Activation of integrin Î±5 mediated by flow requires its translocation to membrane lipid rafts in vascular endothelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:769-74 pubmed publisher..The present study has revealed an integrin- and membrane lipid raft-dependent mechanotransduction mechanism by which atheroprone flow causes endothelial dysfunction. ..
- Valencik M, Zhang D, Punske B, Hu P, McDonald J, Litwin S. Integrin activation in the heart: a link between electrical and contractile dysfunction?. Circ Res. 2006;99:1403-10 pubmed..Furthermore, we demonstrated that unregulated integrin activation leads to both contractile dysfunction and arrhythmias. ..
- Menko A, Kreidberg J, Ryan T, Van Bockstaele E, Kukuruzinska M. Loss of alpha3beta1 integrin function results in an altered differentiation program in the mouse submandibular gland. Dev Dyn. 2001;220:337-49 pubmed..We conclude that alpha3beta1 is required for normal salivary cell differentiation and that its absence affects multiple components of adhesive complexes and their associated signalling pathways. ..
- Fujiwara H, Ferreira M, Donati G, MARCIANO D, Linton J, Sato Y, et al. The basement membrane of hair follicle stem cells is a muscle cell niche. Cell. 2011;144:577-89 pubmed publisher..Thus, bulge stem cells, via nephronectin expression, create a smooth muscle cell niche and act as tendon cells for the APM. Our results reveal a functional role for basement membrane heterogeneity in tissue patterning. PAPERCLIP: ..
- de Almeida P, Pinheiro G, Nunes A, GonÃ§alves A, ThorsteinsdÃ³ttir S. Fibronectin assembly during early embryo development: A versatile communication system between cells and tissues. Dev Dyn. 2016;245:520-35 pubmed publisher..We therefore propose that it be considered a cell-cell communication event at the same level and significance as growth factor signaling during embryogenesis. ..
- Rossier O, Octeau V, Sibarita J, Leduc C, Tessier B, Nair D, et al. Integrins ?1 and ?3 exhibit distinct dynamic nanoscale organizations inside focal adhesions. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:1057-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, differential transmission of actin motion to fibronectin occurs through specific integrins within FAs...
- Chaen T, Konno T, Egashira M, Bai R, Nomura N, Nomura S, et al. Estrogen-dependent uterine secretion of osteopontin activates blastocyst adhesion competence. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48933 pubmed publisher..These findings define for the first time specific regulatory components of an estrogen-dependent pathway coordinating blastocyst adhesion competence and uterine receptivity...
- Carroll J, Romero M, Watt F. Suprabasal integrin expression in the epidermis of transgenic mice results in developmental defects and a phenotype resembling psoriasis. Cell. 1995;83:957-68 pubmed
- Yang W, Mansour S. Expression and genetic analysis of prtb, a gene that encodes a highly conserved proline-rich protein expressed in the brain. Dev Dyn. 1999;215:108-16 pubmed..This could be due to functional redundancy as Northern blot hybridization analysis clearly demonstrated that prtb(gt) is likely to be a null allele. ..
- Wada J, Kumar A, Liu Z, Ruoslahti E, Reichardt L, Marvaldi J, et al. Cloning of mouse integrin alphaV cDNA and role of the alphaV-related matrix receptors in metanephric development. J Cell Biol. 1996;132:1161-76 pubmed..The expressions of integrin beta3, beta5, and beta6 were unaltered. These findings suggest that the integrin alphaV is developmentally regulated, has a distinct spatio-temporal expression, and is relevant in the mammalian organogenesis. ..
- Kanchanawong P, Shtengel G, Pasapera A, Ramko E, Davidson M, Hess H, et al. Nanoscale architecture of integrin-based cell adhesions. Nature. 2010;468:580-4 pubmed publisher..The composite multilaminar protein architecture provides a molecular blueprint for understanding focal adhesion functions. ..
- Bass M, Morgan M, Roach K, Settleman J, Goryachev A, Humphries M. p190RhoGAP is the convergence point of adhesion signals from alpha 5 beta 1 integrin and syndecan-4. J Cell Biol. 2008;181:1013-26 pubmed publisher..This molecular mechanism explains the cooperation between extracellular matrix receptors during cell adhesion. ..
- Haack H, Hynes R. Integrin receptors are required for cell survival and proliferation during development of the peripheral glial lineage. Dev Biol. 2001;233:38-55 pubmed..We conclude that integrins can complement growth factors in the control of glial cell numbers. ..
- Legan S, Lee D, Schwarz M. ?5?1 integrin mediates pulmonary epithelial cyst formation. Dev Dyn. 2017;246:475-484 pubmed publisher..We conclude that lung epithelial cyst formation in development is mediated in part by ?5?1 integrin dependent fibrillogenesis. Developmental Dynamics 246:475-484, 2016. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Watt F, Hodivala K. Cell adhesion. Fibronectin and integrin knockouts come unstuck. Curr Biol. 1994;4:270-2 pubmed..Mice with homozygous null mutations in the genes encoding fibronectin or the alpha5 integrin subunit die as embryos. The types of embryonic defect confirm some ideas about fibronectin function but cast doubt on others. ..
- Quach N, Rando T. Focal adhesion kinase is essential for costamerogenesis in cultured skeletal muscle cells. Dev Biol. 2006;293:38-52 pubmed..We present a model of costamerogenesis whereby signaling through FAK is essential for both normal costamerogenesis and normal myofibrillogenesis which are tightly coupled during skeletal myogenesis. ..