Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Isl1
Description: ISL1 transcription factor, LIM/homeodomain
Alias: insulin gene enhancer protein ISL-1, Islet 1, Lim-homeodomain protein Islet1, insulin related protein, islet-1
- Erskine L, Reijntjes S, Pratt T, Denti L, Schwarz Q, Vieira J, et al. VEGF signaling through neuropilin 1 guides commissural axon crossing at the optic chiasm. Neuron. 2011;70:951-65 pubmed publisher..These findings have identified a permissive midline signal for axons at the chiasm midline and provide in vivo evidence that VEGF-A is an essential axon guidance cue. ..
- Goetz S, Liem K, Anderson K. The spinocerebellar ataxia-associated gene Tau tubulin kinase 2 controls the initiation of ciliogenesis. Cell. 2012;151:847-858 pubmed publisher..We propose that cell-cycle regulators target TTBK2 to the basal body, where it modifies specific targets to initiate ciliogenesis. ..
- Johansson J, Voss U, Kesavan G, Kostetskii I, Wierup N, Radice G, et al. N-cadherin is dispensable for pancreas development but required for beta-cell granule turnover. Genesis. 2010;48:374-81 pubmed publisher..The number of insulin secretory granules is significantly reduced in N-cadherin-deficient beta-cells, and as a consequence insulin secretion is decreased. ..
- Le Dreau G, Garcia Campmany L, Rabadán M, Ferronha T, Tozer S, Briscoe J, et al. Canonical BMP7 activity is required for the generation of discrete neuronal populations in the dorsal spinal cord. Development. 2012;139:259-68 pubmed publisher..Together, these data establish a novel role for BMP7 in primary neurogenesis, the process by which a neural progenitor exits the cell cycle and enters the terminal differentiation pathway. ..
- Qu Y, Glasco D, Zhou L, Sawant A, Ravni A, Fritzsch B, et al. Atypical cadherins Celsr1-3 differentially regulate migration of facial branchiomotor neurons in mice. J Neurosci. 2010;30:9392-401 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that Celsr1-3 differentially regulate FBM neuron migration. Celsr1 helps to specify the direction of FBM neuron migration, whereas Celsr2 and 3 control its ability to migrate. ..
- Freyer L, Aggarwal V, Morrow B. Dual embryonic origin of the mammalian otic vesicle forming the inner ear. Development. 2011;138:5403-14 pubmed publisher..This study defines a dual cellular origin of the inner ear from sensory placode ectoderm and NECs, and changes the current paradigm of inner ear neurosensory development. ..
- Espana A, Clotman F. Onecut transcription factors are required for the second phase of development of the A13 dopaminergic nucleus in the mouse. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:1424-41 pubmed publisher..Hence, Onecut factors are markers of the A13 nucleus throughout embryonic development. They are dispensable for the first phase of A13 development but are required for the second phase of development and for maintenance of this nucleus. ..
- Bonanomi D, Chivatakarn O, Bai G, Abdesselem H, Lettieri K, Marquardt T, et al. Ret is a multifunctional coreceptor that integrates diffusible- and contact-axon guidance signals. Cell. 2012;148:568-82 pubmed publisher..Our studies uncover a hierarchical GPI-receptor signaling network that is constructed from combinatorial components and integrated through Ret using ligand coincidence detection. ..
- Engleka K, Manderfield L, Brust R, Li L, Cohen A, Dymecki S, et al. Islet1 derivatives in the heart are of both neural crest and second heart field origin. Circ Res. 2012;110:922-6 pubmed publisherIslet1 (Isl1) has been proposed as a marker of cardiac progenitor cells derived from the second heart field and is utilized to identify and purify cardiac progenitors from murine and human specimens for ex vivo expansion...
- Rousso D, Pearson C, Gaber Z, Miquelajauregui A, Li S, Portera Cailliau C, et al. Foxp-mediated suppression of N-cadherin regulates neuroepithelial character and progenitor maintenance in the CNS. Neuron. 2012;74:314-30 pubmed publisher..Together, these data reveal a Foxp-based transcriptional mechanism that regulates the integrity and cytoarchitecture of neuroepithelial progenitors. ..
- Cohen E, Miller M, Wang Z, Moon R, Morrisey E. Wnt5a and Wnt11 are essential for second heart field progenitor development. Development. 2012;139:1931-40 pubmed publisher..These data show that Wnt5a and Wnt11 are essential regulators of the response of second heart field progenitors to Wnt/?-catenin signaling and that they act by restraining Wnt/?-catenin signaling during cardiac development. ..
- Feng L, Xie Z, Ding Q, Xie X, Libby R, Gan L. MATH5 controls the acquisition of multiple retinal cell fates. Mol Brain. 2010;3:36 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that Math5 regulates the generation of multiple retinal cell types via different mechanisms during retinogenesis. ..
- Haupt C, Kloos K, Faus Kessler T, Huber A. Semaphorin 3A-Neuropilin-1 signaling regulates peripheral axon fasciculation and pathfinding but not developmental cell death patterns. Eur J Neurosci. 2010;31:1164-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sema3A-Npn-1 signaling plays an important role in the guidance and fasciculation of motor and sensory axons but does not contribute to the developmental elimination of these neurons. ..
- Ieda M, Fu J, Delgado Olguin P, Vedantham V, Hayashi Y, Bruneau B, et al. Direct reprogramming of fibroblasts into functional cardiomyocytes by defined factors. Cell. 2010;142:375-86 pubmed publisher..Reprogramming of endogenous or explanted fibroblasts might provide a source of cardiomyocytes for regenerative approaches. ..
- Pan W, Jin Y, STANGER B, Kiernan A. Notch signaling is required for the generation of hair cells and supporting cells in the mammalian inner ear. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:15798-803 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that Notch specifies sensory progenitors in the inner ear, and that induction of Notch may be important for regenerating or replacing hair cells and supporting cells in the mammalian inner ear. ..
- Zheng K, Li H, Zhu Y, Zhu Q, Qiu M. MicroRNAs are essential for the developmental switch from neurogenesis to gliogenesis in the developing spinal cord. J Neurosci. 2010;30:8245-50 pubmed publisher..By contrast, the early patterning and development of motor neurons were not affected in the mutant spinal cord tissue. ..
- Bonilla Claudio M, Wang J, Bai Y, Klysik E, Selever J, Martin J. Bmp signaling regulates a dose-dependent transcriptional program to control facial skeletal development. Development. 2012;139:709-19 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that Bmp signaling regulates craniofacial skeletal development by balancing self-renewal and differentiation pathways in CNC progenitors. ..
- Itou J, Kawakami H, Quach T, Osterwalder M, Evans S, Zeller R, et al. Islet1 regulates establishment of the posterior hindlimb field upstream of the Hand2-Shh morphoregulatory gene network in mouse embryos. Development. 2012;139:1620-9 pubmed publisher..Our studies have identified a role for Islet1 in hindlimb-specific development and have revealed Islet1 functions in two distinct processes: regulation upstream of the Hand2-Shh pathway and contributions to girdle development. ..
- Huh S, Ornitz D. Beta-catenin deficiency causes DiGeorge syndrome-like phenotypes through regulation of Tbx1. Development. 2010;137:1137-47 pubmed publisher..These findings identify Wnt-beta-catenin signaling as a crucial upstream regulator of a Tbx1-Fgf8 signaling pathway and suggest that factors that affect Wnt-beta-catenin signaling could modify the incidence and severity of DGS...
- Tian Y, Yuan L, Goss A, Wang T, Yang J, Lepore J, et al. Characterization and in vivo pharmacological rescue of a Wnt2-Gata6 pathway required for cardiac inflow tract development. Dev Cell. 2010;18:275-87 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a molecular pathway regulating the posterior cardiac mesoderm and demonstrate that cardiovascular defects caused by loss of Wnt signaling can be rescued pharmacologically in vivo. ..
- Hazen V, Andrews M, Umans L, Crenshaw E, Zwijsen A, Butler S. BMP receptor-activated Smads confer diverse functions during the development of the dorsal spinal cord. Dev Biol. 2012;367:216-27 pubmed publisher..Thus the R-Smads, like the I-Smads, have discrete roles mediating BMP-dependent cellular processes during spinal interneuron development...
- Chen J, Wichterle H. Apoptosis of limb innervating motor neurons and erosion of motor pool identity upon lineage specific dicer inactivation. Front Neurosci. 2012;6:69 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, it leads to defects in motor pool identity specification. Thus, our results indicate that miRNAs are an integral part of the genetic program controlling motor neuron survival and acquisition of subtype specific properties. ..
- Jain R, Engleka K, Rentschler S, Manderfield L, Li L, Yuan L, et al. Cardiac neural crest orchestrates remodeling and functional maturation of mouse semilunar valves. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:422-30 pubmed publisher..Hence, defects of cardiac neural crest can result in functionally abnormal semilunar valves and concomitant aortic arch artery abnormalities. ..
- Liang X, Song M, Xu Z, Lanuza G, Liu Y, Zhuang T, et al. Isl1 is required for multiple aspects of motor neuron development. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2011;47:215-22 pubmed publisherThe LIM homeodomain transcription factor Islet1 (Isl1) is expressed in multiple organs and plays essential roles during embryogenesis. Isl1 is required for the survival and specification of spinal cord motor neurons...
- Weinberger F, Mehrkens D, Friedrich F, Stubbendorff M, Hua X, Müller J, et al. Localization of Islet-1-positive cells in the healthy and infarcted adult murine heart. Circ Res. 2012;110:1303-10 pubmed publisher..Our results identify Islet-1 as a novel marker of the adult sinoatrial node and do not provide evidence for Islet-1(+) cells to serve as cardiac progenitors. ..
- Narkis G, Tzchori I, Cohen T, Holtz A, Wier E, Westphal H. Isl1 and Ldb co-regulators of transcription are essential early determinants of mouse limb development. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:787-91 pubmed publisher..Fgf10 and Tbx are crucial for early phases of limb bud initiation. Here we show that in the absence of Isl1 or of Ldb1/2, there is no hindlimb bud development...
- Caubit X, Thoby Brisson M, Voituron N, Filippi P, Bevengut M, Faralli H, et al. Teashirt 3 regulates development of neurons involved in both respiratory rhythm and airflow control. J Neurosci. 2010;30:9465-76 pubmed publisher..Thus, a single gene, Tshz3, controls the development of diverse components of the circuitry required for breathing. ..
- Breuskin I, Bodson M, Thelen N, Thiry M, Borgs L, Nguyen L, et al. Glial but not neuronal development in the cochleo-vestibular ganglion requires Sox10. J Neurochem. 2010;114:1827-39 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest that in the absence of neural crest-derived glial cells, an increase trophic support from hair cells promotes the survival of spiral ganglion neurons in Sox10 mutant mice. ..
- Mommersteeg M, Domínguez J, Wiese C, Norden J, de Gier de Vries C, Burch J, et al. The sinus venosus progenitors separate and diversify from the first and second heart fields early in development. Cardiovasc Res. 2010;87:92-101 pubmed publisherDuring development, the heart tube grows by differentiation of Isl1(+)/Nkx2-5(+) progenitors to the arterial and venous pole and dorsal mesocardium...
- Artner I, Hang Y, Mazur M, Yamamoto T, Guo M, Lindner J, et al. MafA and MafB regulate genes critical to beta-cells in a unique temporal manner. Diabetes. 2010;59:2530-9 pubmed publisher..Our results provide insight into the sequential manner by which MafA and MafB regulate islet ?-cell formation and maturation. ..
- Milgrom Hoffman M, Harrelson Z, Ferrara N, Zelzer E, Evans S, Tzahor E. The heart endocardium is derived from vascular endothelial progenitors. Development. 2011;138:4777-87 pubmed publisher..FLK1 is required in vivo for formation of the endocardium in the Mesp1 and Tie2 lineages, but not in the Isl1 lineage...
- Bangs F, Antonio N, Thongnuek P, Welten M, Davey M, Briscoe J, et al. Generation of mice with functional inactivation of talpid3, a gene first identified in chicken. Development. 2011;138:3261-72 pubmed publisher..This genetic mouse model will facilitate further conditional approaches, epistatic experiments and open up investigation into the function of the novel talpid3 gene using the many resources available for mice. ..
- Sang L, Miller J, Corbit K, Giles R, Brauer M, Otto E, et al. Mapping the NPHP-JBTS-MKS protein network reveals ciliopathy disease genes and pathways. Cell. 2011;145:513-28 pubmed publisher..Our study further illustrates the power of linking proteomic networks and human genetics to uncover critical disease pathways. ..
- Liu J, Hunter C, Du A, Ediger B, Walp E, Murray J, et al. Islet-1 regulates Arx transcription during pancreatic islet alpha-cell development. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:15352-60 pubmed publisher..Isl-1 represents the first known activator of Arx transcription in ?-cells, here established to be acting through the conserved Re1 and Re2 control domains. ..
- Huettl R, Soellner H, Bianchi E, Novitch B, Huber A. Npn-1 contributes to axon-axon interactions that differentially control sensory and motor innervation of the limb. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001020 pubmed publisher..Thus, motor and sensory axons are mutually dependent on each other for the generation of their trajectories and interact in part through Npn-1-mediated fasciculation before and within the plexus region of the limbs...
- Zeng H, Hoover A, Liu A. PCP effector gene Inturned is an important regulator of cilia formation and embryonic development in mammals. Dev Biol. 2010;339:418-28 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we show that PCP effector gene Intu is an important regulator of cilia formation, Hh signal transduction, and embryonic development in mammals. ..
- Ramos C, Rocha S, Gaspar C, Henrique D. Two Notch ligands, Dll1 and Jag1, are differently restricted in their range of action to control neurogenesis in the mammalian spinal cord. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15515 pubmed publisher..However, Jag1 can only activate Notch signalling within the V1 and dI6 domains, whereas Dll1 can signal to neural progenitors both inside and outside its domains of expression. ..
- Ashrafi S, Lalancette Hébert M, Friese A, Sigrist M, Arber S, Shneider N, et al. Wnt7A identifies embryonic ?-motor neurons and reveals early postnatal dependence of ?-motor neurons on a muscle spindle-derived signal. J Neurosci. 2012;32:8725-31 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, using Wnt7a expression as an early marker of ?-MN identity, we demonstrate a previously unknown dependence of ?-MNs on a muscle spindle-derived, GDNF-independent signal during the first postnatal week. ..
- Renier N, Schonewille M, Giraudet F, Badura A, Tessier Lavigne M, Avan P, et al. Genetic dissection of the function of hindbrain axonal commissures. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000325 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this study is one of the first to link defects in commissural axon guidance with specific cellular and behavioral phenotypes. ..
- Khattar P, Friedrich F, Bonne G, Carrier L, Eschenhagen T, Evans S, et al. Distinction between two populations of islet-1-positive cells in hearts of different murine strains. Stem Cells Dev. 2011;20:1043-52 pubmed publisher..Our studies demonstrate that islet-1-positive cells are relatively few in number in adult murine heart, being localized in restricted and rather inaccessible areas, and can represent both neural crest and cardiomyocyte lineages. ..
- Garel S, Marin F, Mattei M, Vesque C, Vincent A, Charnay P. Family of Ebf/Olf-1-related genes potentially involved in neuronal differentiation and regional specification in the central nervous system. Dev Dyn. 1997;210:191-205 pubmed..These data suggest that Ebf genes may be involved in the control of neuronal differentiation in the CNS and in enforcing regional diversity in populations of post-mitotic forebrain neurons. ..
- Mu X, Fu X, Beremand P, Thomas T, Klein W. Gene regulation logic in retinal ganglion cell development: Isl1 defines a critical branch distinct from but overlapping with Pou4f2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6942-7 pubmed publisher..Based on its expression, we also proposed that Isl1, a LIM-homeodomain factor, functions in parallel with Pou4f2 and downstream of Math5 in the RGC GRN...
- Schwarz Q, Vieira J, Howard B, Eickholt B, Ruhrberg C. Neuropilin 1 and 2 control cranial gangliogenesis and axon guidance through neural crest cells. Development. 2008;135:1605-13 pubmed publisher..We conclude that neuropilins play multiple roles in the sensory nervous system by directing cranial neural crest cells, positioning sensory neurons and organising their axonal projections. ..
- Lopez Bendito G, Cautinat A, Sanchez J, Bielle F, Flames N, Garratt A, et al. Tangential neuronal migration controls axon guidance: a role for neuregulin-1 in thalamocortical axon navigation. Cell. 2006;125:127-42 pubmed..These results show that neuronal tangential migration constitutes a novel mechanism to control the timely arrangement of guidance cues required for axonal tract formation in the mammalian brain. ..