Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Isl1
Description: ISL1 transcription factor, LIM/homeodomain
Alias: Islet 1, Lim-homeodomain protein Islet1, insulin gene enhancer protein ISL-1, insulin related protein, islet-1
Publications178 found, 100 shown here
- Isl1 identifies a cardiac progenitor population that proliferates prior to differentiation and contributes a majority of cells to the heartChen Leng Cai
Institute of Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Dev Cell 5:877-89. 2003Hearts of mice lacking Isl1, a LIM homeodomain transcription factor, are completely missing the outflow tract, right ventricle, and much of the atria...
- Postnatal isl1+ cardioblasts enter fully differentiated cardiomyocyte lineagesKarl Ludwig Laugwitz
Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Nature 433:647-53. 2005..Herein, we report the identification of isl1+ cardiac progenitors in postnatal rat, mouse and human myocardium...
- Cre reporter strains produced by targeted insertion of EYFP and ECFP into the ROSA26 locusS Srinivas
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University, New York, USA
BMC Dev Biol 1:4. 2001....
- The graded response to Sonic Hedgehog depends on cilia architectureTamara Caspary
Developmental Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Dev Cell 12:767-78. 2007..Thus, normal structure of the ciliary axoneme is required for the cell to translate different levels of Shh ligand into differential regulation of the Gli transcription factors that implement Hedgehog signals...
- Early motor neuron pool identity and muscle nerve trajectory defined by postmitotic restrictions in Nkx6.1 activityNatalia V De Marco Garcia
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neuron 57:217-31. 2008..Our findings provide genetic evidence that neurons within motor pools possess an early transcriptional identity that controls target muscle specificity...
- Islet 1 is expressed in distinct cardiovascular lineages, including pacemaker and coronary vascular cellsYunfu Sun
Skaggs School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Dev Biol 304:286-96. 2007Islet1 (Isl1) is a LIM homedomain protein that plays a pivotal role in cardiac progenitors of the second heart field...
- Islet1-mediated activation of the β-catenin pathway is necessary for hindlimb initiation in miceYasuhiko Kawakami
Gene Expression Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 138:4465-73. 2011..Our study identifies Islet1 as a hindlimb-specific transcriptional regulator of initiation, and clarifies the controversy regarding the requirement of β-catenin for limb initiation...
- Isl1Cre reveals a common Bmp pathway in heart and limb developmentLei Yang
Skaggs School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Development 133:1575-85. 2006..We have recently shown that the LIM homeodomain transcription factor islet 1 (Isl1) marks a subset of cardiac progenitors...
- ETS gene Er81 controls the formation of functional connections between group Ia sensory afferents and motor neuronsS Arber
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Cell 101:485-98. 2000..ER81 therefore controls a late step in the establishment of functional sensory-motor circuitry in the developing spinal cord...
- Ephrin-B2 and EphB1 mediate retinal axon divergence at the optic chiasmScott E Williams
Departments of Pathology, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neuron 39:919-35. 2003..EphB1 null mice exhibit a dramatically reduced ipsilateral projection, suggesting that this receptor contributes to the formation of the ipsilateral retinal projection, most likely through its repulsive interaction with ephrin-B2...
- neurogenin3 is required for the development of the four endocrine cell lineages of the pancreasG Gradwohl
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Université Louis Pasteur, F 67404 Illkirch, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:1607-11. 2000..Recent genetic studies have identified a network of transcription factors, including Pdx1, Isl1, Pax4, Pax6, NeuroD, Nkx2...
- Sonic hedgehog regulates Gli activator and repressor functions with spatial and temporal precision in the mid/hindbrain regionSandra Blaess
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Developmental Genetics Program, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, 540 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 133:1799-809. 2006..Thus, the precise spatial and temporal regulation of Gli2A and Gli3R by Shh is instrumental in coordinating mid/hindbrain development in three dimensions...
- Distinct roles for secreted semaphorin signaling in spinal motor axon guidanceAndrea B Huber
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Neuroscience, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Neuron 48:949-64. 2005..Thus, Sema3A-Npn-1 and Sema3F-Npn-2 signaling control distinct steps of motor axon growth and guidance during the formation of spinal motor connections...
- Tbx1 regulates proliferation and differentiation of multipotent heart progenitorsLi Chen
Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M University Health Science Center, Houston, TX, USA
Circ Res 105:842-51. 2009..Loss of Tbx1 results into hypoplasia of heart regions derived from the second heart field, a population of cardiac progenitors cells (CPCs). Thus, we hypothesized that Tbx1 is an important player in the biology of CPCs...
- Distinction between two populations of islet-1-positive cells in hearts of different murine strainsPatricia Khattar
UPMC AIM UMR S 974, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Stem Cells Dev 20:1043-52. 2011..Our studies demonstrate that islet-1-positive cells are relatively few in number in adult murine heart, being localized in restricted and rather inaccessible areas, and can represent both neural crest and cardiomyocyte lineages...
- Hindbrain interneurons and axon guidance signaling critical for breathingJulien Bouvier
Institut de Neurobiologie Alfred Fessard, CNRS UPR 3294, Gif sur Yvette, France
Nat Neurosci 13:1066-74. 2010....
- Onecut transcription factors are required for the second phase of development of the A13 dopaminergic nucleus in the mouseAgnès Espana
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Institute of Neuroscience, Laboratory of Neural Differentiation, Brussels, B 1200, Belgium
J Comp Neurol 520:1424-41. 2012..Hence, Onecut factors are markers of the A13 nucleus throughout embryonic development. They are dispensable for the first phase of A13 development but are required for the second phase of development and for maintenance of this nucleus...
- Zic2 patterns binocular vision by specifying the uncrossed retinal projectionEloisa Herrera
Department of Pathology and Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
Cell 114:545-57. 2003..These data provide evidence for transcriptional coding of axon pathfinding at the midline...
- Bmp signaling regulates a dose-dependent transcriptional program to control facial skeletal developmentMargarita Bonilla-Claudio
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 139:709-19. 2012..These data support the hypothesis that Bmp signaling regulates craniofacial skeletal development by balancing self-renewal and differentiation pathways in CNC progenitors...
- Diminished Sonic hedgehog signaling and lack of floor plate differentiation in Gli2 mutant miceQ Ding
Program in Developmental Biology and Division of Endocrinology, Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Development 125:2533-43. 1998..Our results imply that Gli2 is required to mediate high level but not low level Shh activity and show that the development of motor neurons can occur in the absence of floor plate induction...
- The tyrosine phosphatase Shp2 (PTPN11) directs Neuregulin-1/ErbB signaling throughout Schwann cell developmentKatja S Grossmann
Neuroscience Department, Department of Cancer Research, Department of Cardiovascular Research, Max Delbrück Centrum for Molecular Medicine, Robert Rossle Strasse 10, Berlin, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:16704-9. 2009..Together, our genetic and biochemical analyses demonstrate that Shp2 is an essential component in the transduction of Nrg1/ErbB signals...
- MuSK controls where motor axons grow and form synapsesNatalie Kim
Molecular Neurobiology Program, The Helen L and Martin S Kimmel Center for Biology and Medicine at the Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University Medical School, New York, NY 10016, USA
Nat Neurosci 11:19-27. 2008....
- Motor neurons with axial muscle projections specified by Wnt4/5 signalingDritan Agalliu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Kavli Institute for Brain Science, Departments of Neuroscience and Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neuron 61:708-20. 2009..Thus, two dorsoventral signaling pathways, mediated by Shh and Wnt4/5, are required to establish an early binary divergence in motor neuron columnar identity...
- Pax6 controls progenitor cell identity and neuronal fate in response to graded Shh signalingJ Ericson
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Cell 90:169-80. 1997..2. Pax6 establishes distinct ventral progenitor cell populations and controls the identity of motor neurons and ventral interneurons, mediating graded Shh signaling in the ventral spinal cord and hindbrain...
- The expression pattern of the transcription factor Phox2 delineates synaptic pathways of the autonomic nervous systemM C Tiveron
Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille, Centre National dela Recherche Scientifique Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Université de la Mediterranée, Marseille, France
J Neurosci 16:7649-60. 1996..e., that of the medullary control reflexes of autonomic functions. This suggests that Phox2 could be involved in the establishment of these circuits...
- Common developmental requirement for Olig function indicates a motor neuron/oligodendrocyte connectionQ Richard Lu
Department of Cancer Biology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, 44 Binney Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 109:75-86. 2002..Neither Olig gene is required for astrocytes. These findings, together with fate mapping analysis of Olig-expressing cells, indicate that oligodendrocytes are derived from Olig-specified progenitors that give rise also to neurons...
- The concerted activities of Pax4 and Nkx2.2 are essential to initiate pancreatic beta-cell differentiationJunfeng Wang
Department of Genetics and Tumor Cell Biology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Dev Biol 266:178-89. 2004..This role of Pax4 appears to be accomplished via its genetic interaction with another homeobox gene, Nkx2.2...
- A dosage-dependent requirement for Sox9 in pancreatic endocrine cell formationPhilip A Seymour
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697 2300, USA
Dev Biol 323:19-30. 2008..Our findings therefore suggest that defective endocrine specification might underlie the pancreatic phenotype of individuals with CD...
- Reassessment of Isl1 and Nkx2-5 cardiac fate maps using a Gata4-based reporter of Cre activityQing Ma
Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital Boston, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dev Biol 323:98-104. 2008b>Isl1 and Nkx2-5-expressing cardiovascular progenitors play pivotal roles in cardiogenesis...
- Identification of downstream genetic pathways of Tbx1 in the second heart fieldJun Liao
Department of Molecular Genetics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Ave, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Dev Biol 316:524-37. 2008..b>Isl1, a key marker for the SHF, as well as Hod and Nkx2-6, were downregulated in Tbx1(-/-) mutants, while genes required ..
- A role for neuregulin1 signaling in muscle spindle differentiationSimon Hippenmeyer
Biozentrum, Department of Cell Biology, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, 4056, Basel, Switzerland
Neuron 36:1035-49. 2002....
- Expression of neurogenin3 reveals an islet cell precursor population in the pancreasV M Schwitzgebel
Hormone Research Institute, Department of Pediatrics, and Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Development 127:3533-42. 2000..5. Although not detected in cells expressing islet hormones or the islet transcription factors Isl1, Brn4, Pax6 or PDX1, neurogenin3 is detected along with early islet differentiation factors Nkx6.1 and Nkx2...
- Overexpression of Pax6 results in microphthalmia, retinal dysplasia and defective retinal ganglion cell axon guidanceMartine Manuel
Genes and Development Group, Centres for Integrative Physiology and Neuroscience Research, Hugh Robson Building, George Square, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH8 9XD, UK
BMC Dev Biol 8:59. 2008..Here, we examined the consequences of over-expression for the eye and its axonal connections...
- Wnt signaling plays an essential role in neuronal specification of the dorsal spinal cordYuko Muroyama
Kondoh Differentiation Signaling Project, Exploratory Research for Advanced Technology ERATO, Japan Science and Technology Corporation JST, Kinki Invention Center, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8305, Japan
Genes Dev 16:548-53. 2002..Thus, Wnt signaling plays a critical role in the specification of cell types for dorsal interneurons...
- Identification and subclassification of new Atoh1 derived cell populations during mouse spinal cord developmentGeorge R Miesegaes
Program in Cell and Molecular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Dev Biol 327:339-51. 2009..Altogether we reveal the existence of multiple Atoh1 dependent cell types in the spinal cord, and uncover a novel progenitor domain that arises late in development...
- Retrograde signaling onto Ret during motor nerve terminal maturationChristel Baudet
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institute, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
J Neurosci 28:963-75. 2008..Thus, Ret transmits a signal in motor nerve terminals that participate in the organization and maturation of presynaptic specializations during development and during regeneration in the adult...
- Beta-catenin deficiency causes DiGeorge syndrome-like phenotypes through regulation of Tbx1Sung Ho Huh
Department of Developmental Biology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Development 137:1137-47. 2010..These findings identify Wnt-beta-catenin signaling as a crucial upstream regulator of a Tbx1-Fgf8 signaling pathway and suggest that factors that affect Wnt-beta-catenin signaling could modify the incidence and severity of DGS...
- The sinus venosus progenitors separate and diversify from the first and second heart fields early in developmentMathilda T M Mommersteeg
Heart Failure Research Center, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cardiovasc Res 87:92-101. 2010During development, the heart tube grows by differentiation of Isl1(+)/Nkx2-5(+) progenitors to the arterial and venous pole and dorsal mesocardium...
- Required, tissue-specific roles for Fgf8 in outflow tract formation and remodelingEon Joo Park
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Development 133:2419-33. 2006..of Fgf8 in this domain resulted in decreased expression of the Fgf8 target gene Erm, and aberrant production of Isl1 and its target Mef2c in the anterior heart field, thus linking Fgf8 signaling with transcription factor networks ..
- A central role for Islet1 in sensory neuron development linking sensory and spinal gene regulatory programsYunfu Sun
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 93093, USA
Nat Neurosci 11:1283-93. 2008..From E12.5 onward, however, Isl1 mutant embryos showed a loss of the nociceptive markers TrkA and Runx1 and a near absence of cutaneous innervation...
- A Cre transgenic line for studying V2 neuronal lineages and functions in the spinal cordShengguo Li
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine and Department of Pediatrics, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, New Jersey, USA
Genesis 48:667-72. 2010....
- Isl1 is upstream of sonic hedgehog in a pathway required for cardiac morphogenesisLizhu Lin
Skaggs School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Dev Biol 295:756-63. 2006The LIM homeodomain transcription factor Islet1 (Isl1) is expressed in both foregut endoderm and cardiogenic mesoderm and is required for earliest stages of heart development. Here, we report that isl1 is also required upstream of Shh...
- Dynamic expression of the Onecut transcription factors HNF-6, OC-2 and OC-3 during spinal motor neuron developmentC Francius
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Institute of Neuroscience, Brussels, Belgium
Neuroscience 165:116-29. 2010..Together, our data unveil a complex and dynamic expression profile of the OC proteins in spinal MN, which suggests that these factors may participate in regulatory networks that control different steps of motor neuron development...
- Lbx1 and Tlx3 are opposing switches in determining GABAergic versus glutamatergic transmitter phenotypesLeping Cheng
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, 1 Jimmy Fund Way, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Neurosci 8:1510-5. 2005..These genetic studies suggest that Lbx1 expression defines a basal GABAergic differentiation state, and Tlx3 acts to antagonize Lbx1 to promote glutamatergic differentiation...
- Identification of regulatory elements in the Isl1 gene locusClaudia Kappen
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 71010, USA
Int J Dev Biol 53:935-46. 2009b>Isl1 is a LIM/homeodomain transcription factor with critical roles for the development of the heart, the nervous system and the pancreas...
- Neuropilin-mediated neural crest cell guidance is essential to organise sensory neurons into segmented dorsal root gangliaQuenten Schwarz
Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, London EC1V 9EL, UK
Development 136:1785-9. 2009..By contrast, the combined loss of both guidance pathways leads to ectopic invasion of the intersomitic furrows and posterior sclerotome halves, disrupting metameric NCC streaming and DRG segmentation...
- Foxd1 is required for proper formation of the optic chiasmEloisa Herrera
Departments of Pathology, Anatomy and Cell Biology and Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Development 131:5727-39. 2004....
- BARHL2 differentially regulates the development of retinal amacrine and ganglion neuronsQian Ding
University of Rochester Eye Institute, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Neurosci 29:3992-4003. 2009..Thus, BARHL2 appears to have numerous roles in retinal development, including regulating neuronal subtype specification, differentiation, and survival...
- SOX9 is required for maintenance of the pancreatic progenitor cell poolPhilip A Seymour
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 2300, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:1865-70. 2007..These findings will be of major significance for the development of in vitro protocols for cell replacement therapies...
- Beta-catenin directly regulates Islet1 expression in cardiovascular progenitors and is required for multiple aspects of cardiogenesisLizhu Lin
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of California at San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:9313-8. 2007Recent studies have demonstrated that the LIM homeodomain transcription factor Islet1 (Isl1) marks pluripotent cardiovascular progenitor cells and is required for proliferation, survival, and migration of recently defined second heart ..
- Identification of lynx2, a novel member of the ly-6/neurotoxin superfamily, expressed in neuronal subpopulations during mouse developmentEric Dessaud
INSERM UMR 623, Developmental Biology Institute of Marseille INSERM, CNRS, Case 907, 13288 Marseille Cedex 09, France
Mol Cell Neurosci 31:232-42. 2006..Comparison of its spatio-temporal expression pattern with that of two other members of this family, lynx1 and ly-6h, shows that these genes are detected both in distinct and overlapping neuron populations...
- PTK7/CCK-4 is a novel regulator of planar cell polarity in vertebratesXiaowei Lu
Department of Biological Sciences, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Nature 430:93-8. 2004..These results identify PTK7 as a novel regulator of PCP in vertebrates...
- Expression patterns of developmental control genes in normal and Engrailed-1 mutant mouse spinal cord reveal early diversity in developing interneuronsM P Matise
New York University Medical School, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, Developmental Genetics Program, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Neurosci 17:7805-16. 1997..Rather, it is suggested that En-1 may function to distinguish a subset of interneurons during the later maturation of the spinal cord...
- Murine Jagged1/Notch signaling in the second heart field orchestrates Fgf8 expression and tissue-tissue interactions during outflow tract developmentFrances A High
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Cardiovascular Institute, and Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Clin Invest 119:1986-96. 2009....
- Spatiotemporally separable Shh domains in the midbrain define distinct dopaminergic progenitor poolsMilan Joksimovic
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Department of Neurology and Center for Genetic Medicine, 7 113 Lurie Building, 303 East Superior Street, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:19185-90. 2009..This refined ontogenetic definition will expand understanding of dopamine neuron biology and selective susceptibility, and will impact stem cell-derived therapies and models for PD...
- Specification of motor axon trajectory by ephrin-B:EphB signaling: symmetrical control of axonal patterning in the developing limbVictor Luria
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neuron 60:1039-53. 2008..The involvement of ephrin:Eph signaling in guiding both sets of motor axons raises the possibility that other signaling systems function primarily to refine or modulate a core Eph signaling program...
- Homeobox gene Nkx6.1 lies downstream of Nkx2.2 in the major pathway of beta-cell formation in the pancreasM Sander
Hormone Research Institute, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0534, USA
Development 127:5533-40. 2000..Together, these experiments reveal two independently controlled pathways for beta-cell differentiation, and place Nkx6.1 downstream of Nkx2.2 in the major pathway of beta-cell differentiation...
- The homeodomain LIM protein Isl-1 is expressed in subsets of neurons and endocrine cells in the adult ratS Thor
Department of Microbiology, University of Umea, Sweden
Neuron 7:881-9. 1991..The pattern of expression of Isl-1 suggests that this gene may be involved in the specification and maintenance of differentiated phenotypical properties of these cells...
- Role of Islet1 in the patterning of murine dentitionThimios A Mitsiadis
GKT Dental Institute, Kings College London, Guy s Hospital, London SE1 9RT, UK
Development 130:4451-60. 2003..The LIM homeodomain protein Islet1 (ISL1) is involved in the regulation of differentiation of many cell types and organs...
- Cysteine-rich domain isoforms of the neuregulin-1 gene are required for maintenance of peripheral synapsesD Wolpowitz
Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Program in Neurobiology and Behavior, New York, New York 10032, USA
Neuron 25:79-91. 2000....
- Vascular endothelial growth factor controls neuronal migration and cooperates with Sema3A to pattern distinct compartments of the facial nerveQuenten Schwarz
Department of Cell Biology, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, London EC1V 9EL, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 18:2822-34. 2004..These observations demonstrate, for the first time, that VEGF contributes to neuronal patterning in vivo, and that different compartments of one cell can be co-ordinately patterned by structurally distinct ligands for a shared receptor...
- All mouse ventral spinal cord patterning by hedgehog is Gli dependent and involves an activator function of Gli3C Brian Bai
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Developmental Genetics Program, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, and Department of Cell Biology, New York University School of Medicine, 540 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Dev Cell 6:103-15. 2004..Therefore, in the spinal cord all Hh signaling is Gli dependent. Furthermore, a combination of Gli2 and Gli3 is required to regulate motor neuron development and spatial patterning of ventral spinal cord progenitors...
- Sensory defects in Necdin deficient mice result from a loss of sensory neurons correlated within an increase of developmental programmed cell deathDavid Andrieu
Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille Luminy, Campus de Luminy Case 907 13288 Marseille Cedex 09, France
BMC Dev Biol 6:56. 2006..In this study, we investigate sensory-motor behaviour in Necdin deficient mice. We reveal cellular defects and analyse their cause...
- Shh dependent and independent maintenance of basal midbrainAriadna Perez-Balaguer
Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante, CSIC and Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Sant Joan d Alacant, Spain
Mech Dev 126:301-13. 2009..Based on our results and recently published data, we suggest the existence of a specific genetic pathway for the specification of the mesencephalic red nucleus. Foxa2 could be the candidate gene that might control this genetic pathway...
- Plexin A3 and plexin A4 convey semaphorin signals during facial nerve developmentQuenten Schwarz
UCL Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, 11 43 Bath Street, London EC1V 9EL, UK
Dev Biol 324:1-9. 2008..The combined loss of PLXNA3 and PLXNA4 impaired facial branchiomotor axon guidance more severely than loss of either plexin alone, suggesting that SEMA3A and SEMA3F signals, even though both essential, are partially redundant...
- Cholinergic input is required during embryonic development to mediate proper assembly of spinal locomotor circuitsChristopher P Myers
Gene Expression Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Neuron 46:37-49. 2005..These findings suggest that the cholinergic neurotransmitter pathway is involved in configuring the CPG during a transient period of development...
- Proprioceptor pathway development is dependent on Math1N A Bermingham
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Neuron 30:411-22. 2001..We also identify three downstream genes of Math1 (Lh2A, Lh2B, and Barhl1) and establish that Math1 governs the development of multiple components of the proprioceptive pathway...
- Wnt signalling required for expansion of neural crest and CNS progenitorsM Ikeya
Centre for Molecular and Developmental Biology, Faculty of Science, Kyoto University, Japan
Nature 389:966-70. 1997..Given the widespread expression of different Wnt genes in discrete areas of the mammalian neural tube, this may represent a general model for the action of Wnt signalling in the developing CNS...
- Frs2alpha-deficiency in cardiac progenitors disrupts a subset of FGF signals required for outflow tract morphogenesisJue Zhang
Center for Cancer and Stem Cell Biology, Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M Health Science Center, 2121 W Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 135:3611-22. 2008..These results provide new insight into the signaling molecules downstream of FGF receptor tyrosine kinases in cardiac progenitors...
- Altered segmental identity and abnormal migration of motor neurons in mice lacking Hoxb-1M Studer
Division of Developmental Neurobiology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, Mill Hill, London, UK
Nature 384:630-4. 1996..These results demonstrate that, as a part of its role in maintaining rhombomere identity, Hoxb-1 is involved in controlling migratory properties of motor neurons in the hindbrain...
- Patterning of muscle acetylcholine receptor gene expression in the absence of motor innervationX Yang
Molecular Neurobiology Program, Skirball Institute, New York University Medical School, New York, NY 10011, USA
Neuron 30:399-410. 2001..Our results demonstrate that AChR expression is patterned in the absence of innervation, raising the possibility that similarly prepatterned muscle-derived cues restrict axon growth and initiate synapse formation...
- Islet1 regulates establishment of the posterior hindlimb field upstream of the Hand2-Shh morphoregulatory gene network in mouse embryosJunji Itou
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development, University of Minnesota, 321 Church ST SE Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Development 139:1620-9. 2012..Our studies have identified a role for Islet1 in hindlimb-specific development and have revealed Islet1 functions in two distinct processes: regulation upstream of the Hand2-Shh pathway and contributions to girdle development...
- Npn-1 contributes to axon-axon interactions that differentially control sensory and motor innervation of the limbRosa Eva Huettl
Institute of Developmental Genetics, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen German Research Center for Environmental Health, Neuherberg, Germany
PLoS Biol 9:e1001020. 2011..Thus, motor and sensory axons are mutually dependent on each other for the generation of their trajectories and interact in part through Npn-1-mediated fasciculation before and within the plexus region of the limbs...
- Insm1 (IA-1) is an essential component of the regulatory network that specifies monoaminergic neuronal phenotypes in the vertebrate hindbrainJohn Jacob
MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 136:2477-85. 2009..Thus, Insm1 regulates the synthesis of distinct monoaminergic neurotransmitters by acting combinatorially with, or independently of, Ascl1 in specific monoaminergic populations...
- Dynamic regulation of Pdx1 enhancers by Foxa1 and Foxa2 is essential for pancreas developmentNan Gao
Department of Genetics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Genes Dev 22:3435-48. 2008..Thus, the regulation of Pdx1 expression by Foxa1 and Foxa2 is a key early event controlling the expansion and differentiation of the pancreatic primordia...
- Semaphorin 3A-Neuropilin-1 signaling regulates peripheral axon fasciculation and pathfinding but not developmental cell death patternsCorinna Haupt
Institute of Developmental Genetics, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen German Research Center for Environmental Health, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, D 85764 Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 31:1164-72. 2010..Thus, Sema3A-Npn-1 signaling plays an important role in the guidance and fasciculation of motor and sensory axons but does not contribute to the developmental elimination of these neurons...
- Islet-1 is required for the maturation, proliferation, and survival of the endocrine pancreasAiping Du
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Diabetes 58:2059-69. 2009....
- Emergence of the sensory nervous system as defined by Foxs1 expressionAndreas Montelius
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Karolinska Institute, MBB, Scheeles väg 1 Stockholm, Sweden
Differentiation 75:404-17. 2007..These data define a sequential emergence of neuronal precursors of the sensory nervous system with different molecular characteristics, starting during migration and continuing well after DRG condensation...
- VEGF signaling through neuropilin 1 guides commissural axon crossing at the optic chiasmLynda Erskine
School of Medical Sciences, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, AB25 2ZD, UK
Neuron 70:951-65. 2011..These findings have identified a permissive midline signal for axons at the chiasm midline and provide in vivo evidence that VEGF-A is an essential axon guidance cue...
- LIM homeodomain transcription factor Isl-1 enhances follicle stimulating hormone-beta and luteinizing hormone-beta gene expression and mediates the activation of leptin on gonadotropin synthesisYingjie Wu
State Key Laboratory of Agrobiotechnology, College of Biological Sciences, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100193, People s Republic of China
Endocrinology 151:4787-800. 2010..In conclusion, the results demonstrate that the LIM-homeodomain transcription factor Isl-1 functions to increase FSHβ/LHβ gene transcription, and mediates the effects of leptin on gonadotropin synthesis...
- Active suppression of interneuron programs within developing motor neurons revealed by analysis of homeodomain factor HB9J Thaler
Gene Expression Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Neuron 23:675-87. 1999..Thus, MNs actively suppress interneuron genetic programs to establish their identity...
- Murine dishevelled 3 functions in redundant pathways with dishevelled 1 and 2 in normal cardiac outflow tract, cochlea, and neural tube developmentS Leah Etheridge
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
PLoS Genet 4:e1000259. 2008..Finally, we establish several developmental processes in which the three Dvls are functionally redundant...
- The effect of neurogenin3 deficiency on pancreatic gene expression in embryonic miceAndreas Petri
Department of Molecular Genetics, Novo Nordisk A S, DK 2880 Bagsvaerd, Denmark
J Mol Endocrinol 37:301-16. 2006..These data suggest that Irx1 and Irx2 serve an evolutionary conserved role in the regulation of alpha-cell-specific gene expression...
- Requirement for Bhlhb5 in the specification of amacrine and cone bipolar subtypes in mouse retinaLiang Feng
Center for Aging and Developmental Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Development 133:4815-25. 2006..Our results reveal that a bHLH transcription factor cascade is involved in regulating retinal cell differentiation and imply that Bhlhb5 functions downstream of retinogenic factors to specify bipolar and amacrine subtypes...
- Distinct roles of Wnt/beta-catenin and Bmp signaling during early cardiogenesisAlexandra Klaus
Max Delbrueck Center of Molecular Medicine, Robert Roessle Strasse 10, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:18531-6. 2007..Although myocardial progenitor markers such as Nkx2-5 and Isl1 and the differentiation marker MLC2a were detected in the small, remaining cardiac field in these mutants, the ..
- Islet-1 controls the differentiation of retinal bipolar and cholinergic amacrine cellsYasser Elshatory
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Neurosci 27:12707-20. 2007..pools is governed by coordinately acting LIM-homeodomain proteins including the Islet-class factor Islet-1 (Isl1)...
- Hoxc10 and Hoxd10 regulate mouse columnar, divisional and motor pool identity of lumbar motoneuronsYuanyuan Wu
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Development 135:171-82. 2008..Together, these results show that Hoxc10 and Hoxd10 play key roles in establishing lumbar motoneuron columnar, divisional and motor pool identity...
- Dynamic regulation of the expression of neurotrophin receptors by Runx3Souichiro Nakamura
Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8577, Japan
Development 135:1703-11. 2008..Moreover, we show that the number of TrkA-positive DRG neurons is reduced in Runx3(-/-) mice, as compared with the wild type. These results suggest that Runx3 positively regulates the expression of TrkC and TrkA in DRG neurons...
- Genetic elimination of Suppressor of fused reveals an essential repressor function in the mammalian Hedgehog signaling pathwayJessica Svärd
Department of Biosciences at Novum, Karolinska Institutet, SE 141 57 Huddinge, Sweden
Dev Cell 10:187-97. 2006..Our data demonstrate that, in striking contrast to Drosophila, in mammals, Sufu has a central role, and its loss of function leads to potent ligand-independent activation of the Hh pathway...
- Gli2, but not Gli1, is required for initial Shh signaling and ectopic activation of the Shh pathwayC Brian Bai
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Developmental Genetics Program, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, 540 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 129:4753-61. 2002..Our studies demonstrate that, in mammals, Gli1 is not required for Shh signaling and that Gli2 mediates inappropriate activation of the pathway due to loss of the negative regulator Ptc...
- Multiple requirements for Hes 1 during early eye formationHae Young Lee
Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University Medical School at Children s Memorial Institute for Education and Research, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Dev Biol 284:464-78. 2005..Together, these studies demonstrate that Hes1, like Pax6, simultaneously regulates multiple developmental processes during optic development...
- Dorsal and lateral fates in the mouse neural tube require the cell-autonomous activity of the open brain geneJ T Eggenschwiler
Molecular Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, 1275 York Avenue, New York, New York 10021, USA
Dev Biol 227:648-60. 2000..The data indicate that opb(+) could act as either a novel component of a dorsalizing pathway or a novel intracellular negative regulator of the Shh signal transduction pathway...
- The winged-helix transcription factor Foxd3 suppresses interneuron differentiation and promotes neural crest cell fateM Dottori
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, The Salk Institute, 10010 North Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 128:4127-38. 2001..Together these results suggest Foxd3 can function independently of Slug and RhoB to promote the development of neural crest cells from neural tube progenitors...
- Neuronal defects in the hindbrain of Hoxa1, Hoxb1 and Hoxb2 mutants reflect regulatory interactions among these Hox genesAnthony Gavalas
Division of Developmental Neurobiology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 130:5663-79. 2003..Therefore, we have delineated the functional requirements in hindbrain neuronal patterning that follow the establishment of the genetic regulatory hierarchy between Hoxa1, Hoxb1 and Hoxb2...
- Vascular function and sphingosine-1-phosphate regulate development of the dorsal pancreatic mesenchymeJosefina Edsbagge
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Box 440, Goteborg University, S 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Development 132:1085-92. 2005..Thus, we propose a new model where blood vessel-derived sphingosine-1-phosphate stimulates growth and budding of the dorsal pancreatic endoderm by induction of mesenchymal cell proliferation...
- Lbx1 specifies somatosensory association interneurons in the dorsal spinal cordMichael K Gross
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, The Salk Institute, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Neuron 34:535-49. 2002..Lbx1, therefore, plays a critical role in the development of sensory pathways in the spinal cord that relay pain and touch...
- The homeodomain factor lbx1 distinguishes two major programs of neuronal differentiation in the dorsal spinal cordThomas Muller
Department of Medical Genetics, Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, 13122 Berlin, Germany
Neuron 34:551-62. 2002..We conclude that Lbx1 distinguishes two major neuronal classes in the dorsal spinal cord and is an important determinant of their distinct differentiation programs...
- Nestin is expressed in mesenchymal and not epithelial cells of the developing mouse pancreasLars Selander
Department of Molecular Biology, Umeå Center for Molecular Medicine, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Mech Dev 113:189-92. 2002..The data presented demonstrate that nestin is expressed in mesenchymal and not epithelial cells of the developing mouse pancreas...
- Control of hindbrain motor neuron differentiation by the homeobox gene Phox2bA Pattyn
Laboratoire de Genetique et Physiologie du Developpement, Developmental Biology Institute of Marseille, CNRS INSERM Univ Méditerranée AP de Marseille, Luminy Case 907, France
Development 127:1349-58. 2000..Thus, the loss of function of Phox2b in hindbrain motor neurons exemplifies a novel control point in the generation of CNS neurons...
- Targeted disruption of mammalian hairy and Enhancer of split homolog-1 (HES-1) leads to up-regulation of neural helix-loop-helix factors, premature neurogenesis, and severe neural tube defectsM Ishibashi
Institute for Immunology, Kyoto University Faculty of Medicine, Japan
Genes Dev 9:3136-48. 1995..These results suggest that HES-1 normally controls the proper timing of neurogenesis and regulates neural tube morphogenesis...
- Family of Ebf/Olf-1-related genes potentially involved in neuronal differentiation and regional specification in the central nervous systemS Garel
Unité 368 de l Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, France
Dev Dyn 210:191-205. 1997..These data suggest that Ebf genes may be involved in the control of neuronal differentiation in the CNS and in enforcing regional diversity in populations of post-mitotic forebrain neurons...
- GLUCOKINASE GENE EXPRESSION IN PANCREATIC BETA CELLMark Magnuson; Fiscal Year: 2005..In Aim 3 we will determine the role of alternate RNA processing the insulin receptor in modulating both GK gene transcription and subcellular localization in the pancreatic beta cell. ..
- Genetic Analysis of Age Related Hearing ImpairmentRick A Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2010..This improved knowledge base can be anticipated to constitute fertile ground for developing new evidence-based preventive and therapeutic approaches to treating ARHI. ..
- Genetic dissection of skeletal patterningClaudia Kappen; Fiscal Year: 2006..The identification of modifier loci that act on skeletal patterning will reveal new molecular mechanisms in skeletal development and has important implications for the evolution of vertebrate body plans. ..
- SELECTIVE AGGREGATION AND SORTING OF SALIVARY PROTEINSDouglas Darling; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will lead to a better understanding of the formation of saliva and provide the basis for efficient delivery of therapeutic proteins from salivary glands. ..
- Specification of Dorsal Lbx1-Derived InterneuronsMartyn Goulding; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will provide important insights into the development and organization of neural circuits in the dorsal horn that sense and relay pain. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Control of Hox gene expression and neuronal identityJeh Ping Liu; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Identifying Periodontal Antigens By Protein MicroarrayDouglas Darling; Fiscal Year: 2006..The R21 Exploratory Grant is an appropriate mechanism since proteomics have not been used for periodontal disease, and bacterial genomic expression libraries and antigen microarrays need to be developed. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Study of a genetic network involved in ear developmentRick Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2005..These and future experiments represent the natural progression from my Mentored Clinical Scientist Development Award (K08). ..
- Functional Analysis of Spinal Cord InterneuronsMartyn Goulding; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will provide valuable insights into the development and organization of circuits in the spinal cord that control locomotor behavior, and will lay the groundwork for strategies to treat spinal cord injury and degeneration. ..
- Genome-wide discovery of beta cell gene control elementsClaudia Kappen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Together, our studies will show how speck gene expression is achieved in beta cells and provide a framework to integrate gene transcription and beta cell biology. ..
- INVESTIGATING THE ROLE OF CDO IN BRAIN DEVELOPMENTAmi Okada; Fiscal Year: 2004..These experiments should also contribute to the overall understanding of the signals that are important in the assembly of the nervous system. ..
- The Role of Neurogenin 3 in Pancreas DevelopmentCATHERINE MAY; Fiscal Year: 2004..2) To identify early and late target genes of Ngn3 using microarray technology. ..
- PIONEER AXON GUIDANCE IN THE EMBRYONIC FOREBRAINGRANT MASTICK; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, the mechanisms of axon growth during development may give insight into how regeneration of the nervous system may be stimulated following trauma or disease. ..
- TRANSCRIPTION FACTORS REGULATING PALATOGENESISDouglas Darling; Fiscal Year: 2002..Subsequent work will investigate the molecular mechanism(s) of Zfhep action during craniofacial development. ..
- Longitudinal axon guidance by long range cues in the embryonic brainGRANT STEPHEN MASTICK; Fiscal Year: 2011....