Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Il6
Description: interleukin 6
Alias: Il-6, interleukin-6, B-cell hybridoma growth factor, interleukin HP-1
Publications101 found, 100 shown here
- Bonetto A, Aydogdu T, Jin X, Zhang Z, Zhan R, Puzis L, et al. JAK/STAT3 pathway inhibition blocks skeletal muscle wasting downstream of IL-6 and in experimental cancer cachexia. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2012;303:E410-21 pubmed publisher..Thus STAT3 could represent a novel therapeutic target for the preservation of skeletal muscle in cachexia...
- Wan S, Xia C, Morel L. IL-6 produced by dendritic cells from lupus-prone mice inhibits CD4+CD25+ T cell regulatory functions. J Immunol. 2007;178:271-9 pubmed
- Zheng Y, Valdez P, Danilenko D, Hu Y, Sa S, Gong Q, et al. Interleukin-22 mediates early host defense against attaching and effacing bacterial pathogens. Nat Med. 2008;14:282-9 pubmed publisher..rodentium infection. Together, our data identify a new innate immune function for IL-22 in regulating early defense mechanisms against A/E bacterial pathogens...
- Wang L, Yi T, Kortylewski M, Pardoll D, Zeng D, Yu H. IL-17 can promote tumor growth through an IL-6-Stat3 signaling pathway. J Exp Med. 2009;206:1457-64 pubmed publisher..The Th17 response can thus promote tumor growth, in part via an IL-6-Stat3 pathway. ..
- Hilbert D, Kopf M, Mock B, Kohler G, Rudikoff S. Interleukin 6 is essential for in vivo development of B lineage neoplasms. J Exp Med. 1995;182:243-8 pubmed..These studies define the essential role of IL-6 in the development of B lineage tumors in vivo and provide experimental support for continued efforts to modulate this cytokine in the treatment of appropriate human B cell malignancies. ..
- Fantuzzi G, Dinarello C. The inflammatory response in interleukin-1 beta-deficient mice: comparison with other cytokine-related knock-out mice. J Leukoc Biol. 1996;59:489-93 pubmed
- Remick D, Bolgos G, Copeland S, Siddiqui J. Role of interleukin-6 in mortality from and physiologic response to sepsis. Infect Immun. 2005;73:2751-7 pubmed..We tested whether interleukin 6 knockout (IL-6KO) mice were more susceptible to sepsis mortality induced by cecal ligation and puncture...
- Ernst M, Najdovska M, Grail D, Lundgren May T, Buchert M, Tye H, et al. STAT3 and STAT1 mediate IL-11-dependent and inflammation-associated gastric tumorigenesis in gp130 receptor mutant mice. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:1727-38 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data have identified IL-11 as a crucial cytokine promoting chronic gastric inflammation and associated tumorigenesis mediated by excessive activation of STAT3 and STAT1. ..
- Clarke M, Talib S, Figg N, Bennett M. Vascular smooth muscle cell apoptosis induces interleukin-1-directed inflammation: effects of hyperlipidemia-mediated inhibition of phagocytosis. Circ Res. 2010;106:363-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, failed clearance of apoptotic VSMCs caused by hyperlipidemia in vivo may promote the increased serum cytokines and chronic inflammation associated with atherosclerosis. ..
- Neveu W, Bernardo E, Allard J, Nagaleekar V, Wargo M, Davis R, et al. Fungal allergen ?-glucans trigger p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase-mediated IL-6 translation in lung epithelial cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2011;45:1133-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, ?-glucans may constitute a common determinant of the fungal and plant-derived allergens responsible for some of the pathological features in allergic asthma. ..
- Quintana A, Erta M, Ferrer B, Comes G, Giralt M, Hidalgo J. Astrocyte-specific deficiency of interleukin-6 and its receptor reveal specific roles in survival, body weight and behavior. Brain Behav Immun. 2013;27:162-73 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest important roles of the astrocyte IL-6 system on normal brain physiology, in some cases totally unexpected from previous results with total IL-6 KO mice. ..
- Kopf M, Herren S, Wiles M, Pepys M, Kosco Vilbois M. Interleukin 6 influences germinal center development and antibody production via a contribution of C3 complement component. J Exp Med. 1998;188:1895-906 pubmed..These findings reveal that the germinal center produces and uses molecules of the innate immune system, evolutionarily pirating them in order to optimally generate high affinity antibody responses. ..
- Tebbutt N, Giraud A, Inglese M, Jenkins B, Waring P, Clay F, et al. Reciprocal regulation of gastrointestinal homeostasis by SHP2 and STAT-mediated trefoil gene activation in gp130 mutant mice. Nat Med. 2002;8:1089-97 pubmed..We propose a model whereby mucosal wound healing depends solely on activation of STAT1/3, whereas gastric hyperplasia ensues when the coordinated activation of the STAT1/3 and SHP2-Ras-ERK pathways is disrupted. ..
- Malagarie Cazenave S, Segui B, Levèque S, Garcia V, Carpentier S, Altié M, et al. Role of FAN in tumor necrosis factor-alpha and lipopolysaccharide-induced interleukin-6 secretion and lethality in D-galactosamine-sensitized mice. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:18648-55 pubmed..These findings highlight the role of FAN and IL-6 in the inflammatory response initiated by endotoxin, implicating TNFalpha. ..
- Wong P, Egan P, Croker B, O Donnell K, Sims N, Drake S, et al. SOCS-3 negatively regulates innate and adaptive immune mechanisms in acute IL-1-dependent inflammatory arthritis. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:1571-81 pubmed..These findings provide direct in vivo evidence that endogenous SOCS-3 is a critical negative regulator of multiple cell types orchestrating inflammatory joint disease. ..
- Salomon R, Hoffmann E, Webster R. Inhibition of the cytokine response does not protect against lethal H5N1 influenza infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12479-81 pubmed..Because cytokine inhibition does not protect against death, therapies that target the virus rather than cytokines may be preferable. ..
- Hayashi T, Cottam H, Chan M, Jin G, Tawatao R, Crain B, et al. Mast cell-dependent anorexia and hypothermia induced by mucosal activation of Toll-like receptor 7. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008;295:R123-32 pubmed publisher..Our results thus suggest that tissue mast cells may play a role in the anorexia induced by mucosal activation of TLR7. ..
- Fielding C, McLoughlin R, McLeod L, Colmont C, Najdovska M, Grail D, et al. IL-6 regulates neutrophil trafficking during acute inflammation via STAT3. J Immunol. 2008;181:2189-95 pubmed
- Kim S, Takahashi H, Lin W, Descargues P, Grivennikov S, Kim Y, et al. Carcinoma-produced factors activate myeloid cells through TLR2 to stimulate metastasis. Nature. 2009;457:102-6 pubmed publisher..These results explain how advanced cancer cells usurp components of the host innate immune system, including bone-marrow-derived myeloid progenitors, to generate an inflammatory microenvironment hospitable for metastatic growth...
- Banerjee I, Fuseler J, Intwala A, Baudino T. IL-6 loss causes ventricular dysfunction, fibrosis, reduced capillary density, and dramatically alters the cell populations of the developing and adult heart. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;296:H1694-704 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data demonstrate that a loss of IL-6 causes cardiac dysfunction by shifting the cardiac cell populations, altering the extracellular matrix, and disrupting critical cell-cell interactions. ..
- Wolters P, Wray C, Sutherland R, Kim S, Koff J, Mao Y, et al. Neutrophil-derived IL-6 limits alveolar barrier disruption in experimental ventilator-induced lung injury. J Immunol. 2009;182:8056-62 pubmed publisher..Modulation of IL-6 signaling in a cell type-specific fashion may be a therapeutic target for patients with acute lung injury. ..
- Matthews V, Allen T, Risis S, Chan M, Henstridge D, Watson N, et al. Interleukin-6-deficient mice develop hepatic inflammation and systemic insulin resistance. Diabetologia. 2010;53:2431-41 pubmed publisher..We aimed to determine whether global deletion of Il6 in mice (Il6 (-/-)) results in standard chow-induced and high-fat diet (HFD)-induced obesity, hepatosteatosis, ..
- Schuett H, Oestreich R, Waetzig G, Annema W, Luchtefeld M, Hillmer A, et al. Transsignaling of interleukin-6 crucially contributes to atherosclerosis in mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:281-90 pubmed publisher..These data clarify, for the first time, the critical involvement of, in particular, the transsignaling of IL-6 in CAD and warrant further investigation of sgp130Fc as a novel therapeutic for the treatment of CAD and related diseases. ..
- Dube P, Handley S, Lewis J, Miller V. Protective role of interleukin-6 during Yersinia enterocolitica infection is mediated through the modulation of inflammatory cytokines. Infect Immun. 2004;72:3561-70 pubmed..These data provide further insight into the intricate cytokine signaling pathways involved in the regulation of inflammatory responses and the control of bacterial infections. ..
- El Kasmi K, Holst J, Coffre M, Mielke L, de Pauw A, Lhocine N, et al. General nature of the STAT3-activated anti-inflammatory response. J Immunol. 2006;177:7880-8 pubmed..We conclude that the AIR is a generic cytokine signaling pathway dependent on STAT3 but not unique to the IL-10R. ..
- Sander L, Obermeier F, Dierssen U, Kroy D, Singh A, Seidler U, et al. Gp130 signaling promotes development of acute experimental colitis by facilitating early neutrophil/macrophage recruitment and activation. J Immunol. 2008;181:3586-94 pubmed..We provide evidence that IL-6 cytokines acting via gp130 are required in the acute stages of intestinal inflammation by modulating the dynamics of innate immune cell recruitment and activation. ..
- Paquette S, Banner D, Zhao Z, Fang Y, Huang S, Leόn A, et al. Interleukin-6 is a potential biomarker for severe pandemic H1N1 influenza A infection. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38214 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest IL-6 may be a potential disease severity biomarker, but may not be a suitable therapeutic target in cases of severe H1N1pdm infection due to our mouse data. ..
- Dodge I, Carr M, Cernadas M, Brenner M. IL-6 production by pulmonary dendritic cells impedes Th1 immune responses. J Immunol. 2003;170:4457-64 pubmed
- Bettelli E, Carrier Y, Gao W, Korn T, Strom T, Oukka M, et al. Reciprocal developmental pathways for the generation of pathogenic effector TH17 and regulatory T cells. Nature. 2006;441:235-8 pubmed..Our data demonstrate a dichotomy in the generation of pathogenic (T(H)17) T cells that induce autoimmunity and regulatory (Foxp3+) T cells that inhibit autoimmune tissue injury. ..
- Neveu W, Allard J, Dienz O, Wargo M, Ciliberto G, Whittaker L, et al. IL-6 is required for airway mucus production induced by inhaled fungal allergens. J Immunol. 2009;183:1732-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, IL-6 is a key regulator of specific hallmark features of allergic airway inflammation and it could be a potential target for pulmonary diseases that are associated with goblet cell metaplasia and mucus hypersecretion. ..
- Chai Z, Gatti S, Toniatti C, Poli V, Bartfai T. Interleukin (IL)-6 gene expression in the central nervous system is necessary for fever response to lipopolysaccharide or IL-1 beta: a study on IL-6-deficient mice. J Exp Med. 1996;183:311-6 pubmed..These results suggest that central IL-6 is a necessary component of the fever response to both endogenous (IL-1 beta) and exogenous (LPS) pyrogens in mice and that IL-6 acts downstream from both peripheral and central IL-1 beta. ..
- Masubuchi Y, Bourdi M, Reilly T, Graf M, George J, Pohl L. Role of interleukin-6 in hepatic heat shock protein expression and protection against acetaminophen-induced liver disease. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;304:207-12 pubmed..These results suggest that IL-6 and possibly other family members may protect the liver from injury, at least in part, by up-regulating the hepatic expression of several cytoprotective HSPs. ..
- Rodriguez M, Bernad A, Aracil M. Interleukin-6 deficiency affects bone marrow stromal precursors, resulting in defective hematopoietic support. Blood. 2004;103:3349-54 pubmed..These data strongly suggest that IL-6 is an in vivo growth factor for mesenchymal precursors, which are in part implicated in the reduced longevity of the long-term repopulating stem cell compartment of IL-6(-/-) mice. ..
- Maeda S, Kamata H, Luo J, Leffert H, Karin M. IKKbeta couples hepatocyte death to cytokine-driven compensatory proliferation that promotes chemical hepatocarcinogenesis. Cell. 2005;121:977-90 pubmed..IKKbeta, therefore, orchestrates inflammatory crosstalk between hepatocytes and hematopoietic-derived cells that promotes chemical hepatocarcinogenesis. ..
- Shaw M, Kamada N, Kim Y, Nunez G. Microbiota-induced IL-1?, but not IL-6, is critical for the development of steady-state TH17 cells in the intestine. J Exp Med. 2012;209:251-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, commensal-induced IL-1? production is a critical step for sT(H)17 differentiation in the intestine, which may have therapeutic implications for T(H)17-mediated pathologies. ..
- Yang Y, Ochando J, Yopp A, Bromberg J, Ding Y. IL-6 plays a unique role in initiating c-Maf expression during early stage of CD4 T cell activation. J Immunol. 2005;174:2720-9 pubmed..Our findings suggest that IL-6 plays a unique role in initiating c-Maf expression after TCR engagement, and may subsequently regulate early IL-4 production and Th2 commitment. ..
- Penkowa M, Moos T, Carrasco J, Hadberg H, Molinero A, Bluethmann H, et al. Strongly compromised inflammatory response to brain injury in interleukin-6-deficient mice. Glia. 1999;25:343-57 pubmed..Furthermore, our results suggest IL-6 is important for neuroprotection and the induction of GM-CSF and MT expression. The opposing effect of IL-6 on MT-I+II and MT-III levels in the damaged brain suggests MT isoform-specific functions. ..
- Wallenius V, Wallenius K, Ahren B, Rudling M, Carlsten H, Dickson S, et al. Interleukin-6-deficient mice develop mature-onset obesity. Nat Med. 2002;8:75-9 pubmed..We investigated the impact of loss of IL-6 on body composition in mice lacking the gene encoding IL-6 (Il6-/- mice) and found that they developed mature-onset obesity that was partly reversed by IL-6 replacement...
- Wuestefeld T, Klein C, Streetz K, Betz U, Lauber J, Buer J, et al. Interleukin-6/glycoprotein 130-dependent pathways are protective during liver regeneration. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:11281-8 pubmedAfter tissue loss the liver has the unique capacity to restore its mass by hepatocyte proliferation. Interleukin-6 (IL6)-deficient mice show a lack in DNA synthesis after partial hepatectomy (PH)...
- Eddahri F, Denanglaire S, Bureau F, Spolski R, Leonard W, Leo O, et al. Interleukin-6/STAT3 signaling regulates the ability of naive T cells to acquire B-cell help capacities. Blood. 2009;113:2426-33 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data indicate that the ability to provide B-cell help is regulated by IL-6/IL-21 through STAT3 activation, independently of Th1, Th2, Th17, or follicular helper T cell (T(FH)) differentiation. ..
- Wunderlich F, Ströhle P, Könner A, Gruber S, Tovar S, Brönneke H, et al. Interleukin-6 signaling in liver-parenchymal cells suppresses hepatic inflammation and improves systemic insulin action. Cell Metab. 2010;12:237-49 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results reveal an unexpected role for hepatic IL-6 signaling to limit hepatic inflammation and to protect from local and systemic insulin resistance. ..
- Klover P, Zimmers T, Koniaris L, Mooney R. Chronic exposure to interleukin-6 causes hepatic insulin resistance in mice. Diabetes. 2003;52:2784-9 pubmed..These data suggest that chronic IL-6 treatment selectively impairs hepatic insulin signaling in vivo, further supporting a role for IL-6 in hepatic insulin resistance of obesity. ..
- Nakagawa T, Tsuruoka M, Ogura H, Okuyama Y, Arima Y, Hirano T, et al. IL-6 positively regulates Foxp3+CD8+ T cells in vivo. Int Immunol. 2010;22:129-39 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that Foxp3(+)CD8(+) T cells may develop in response to IL-6 under certain inflammatory conditions in vivo and may regulate some other chronic inflammation diseases. ..
- Booth A, Grabauskiene S, Wood S, Lu G, Burrell B, Bishop D. IL-6 promotes cardiac graft rejection mediated by CD4+ cells. J Immunol. 2011;187:5764-71 pubmed publisher..In light of these findings, the utility of therapeutics targeting IL-6 should be considered for preventing cardiac allograft rejection. ..
- Suematsu S, Matsusaka T, Matsuda T, Ohno S, Miyazaki J, Yamamura K, et al. Generation of plasmacytomas with the chromosomal translocation t(12;15) in interleukin 6 transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:232-5 pubmed..or mineral oil can induce plasmacytomas in BALB/c or NZB mice are not fully understood, but involvement of interleukin 6 (IL-6), a growth factor for plasmacytomas and myelomas, has been strongly suggested...
- Wang J, Homer R, Chen Q, Elias J. Endogenous and exogenous IL-6 inhibit aeroallergen-induced Th2 inflammation. J Immunol. 2000;165:4051-61 pubmed..IL-6 may be an important anti-inflammatory, counterregulatory, and healing cytokine in the airway. ..
- Blindenbacher A, Wang X, Langer I, Savino R, Terracciano L, Heim M. Interleukin 6 is important for survival after partial hepatectomy in mice. Hepatology. 2003;38:674-82 pubmedThe response to partial hepatectomy (PH) is impaired in interleukin 6 (IL-6)-deficient mice...
- Persson E, Voznesensky O, Huang Y, Lerner U. Increased expression of interleukin-6 by vasoactive intestinal peptide is associated with regulation of CREB, AP-1 and C/EBP, but not NF-kappaB, in mouse calvarial osteoblasts. Bone. 2005;37:513-29 pubmed
- Korn T, Bettelli E, Gao W, Awasthi A, Jäger A, Strom T, et al. IL-21 initiates an alternative pathway to induce proinflammatory T(H)17 cells. Nature. 2007;448:484-487 pubmed publisher..Here we show that IL-6-deficient (Il6-/-) mice do not develop a T(H)17 response and their peripheral repertoire is dominated by Foxp3+ T(reg) cells...
- Suematsu S, Matsuda T, Aozasa K, Akira S, Nakano N, Ohno S, et al. IgG1 plasmacytosis in interleukin 6 transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:7547-51 pubmedb>Interleukin 6 (IL-6) has been suggested to be involved in the pathogenesis of polyclonal and monoclonal plasma cell abnormalities...
- Bernad A, Kopf M, Kulbacki R, Weich N, Koehler G, Gutierrez Ramos J. Interleukin-6 is required in vivo for the regulation of stem cells and committed progenitors of the hematopoietic system. Immunity. 1994;1:725-31 pubmed
- Kitamura K, Nakamoto Y, Kaneko S, Mukaida N. Pivotal roles of interleukin-6 in transmural inflammation in murine T cell transfer colitis. J Leukoc Biol. 2004;76:1111-7 pubmed..Thus, IL-6 might be a promising target for treating transmural inflammation in Crohn's disease, which can lead to severe complications such as strictures, fissures, and fistulas. ..
- Hayashi M, Shimba S, Tezuka M. Characterization of the molecular clock in mouse peritoneal macrophages. Biol Pharm Bull. 2007;30:621-6 pubmed..The results obtained in this study indicate that the innate immunoreactions involving macrophages are at least partly regulated by the autonomous clock machinery. ..
- Lattanzio G, Libert C, Aquilina M, Cappelletti M, Ciliberto G, Musiani P, et al. Defective development of pristane-oil-induced plasmacytomas in interleukin-6-deficient BALB/c mice. Am J Pathol. 1997;151:689-96 pubmed
- Kovalchuk A, Kim J, Park S, Coleman A, Ward J, Morse H, et al. IL-6 transgenic mouse model for extraosseous plasmacytoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:1509-14 pubmed..These findings provide a unique model of extramedullary PCT for studies on pathogenesis and treatment and suggest a previously unappreciated role for IL-6 in the genesis of germinal center-derived lymphomas. ..
- Carey A, Steinberg G, Macaulay S, Thomas W, Holmes A, Ramm G, et al. Interleukin-6 increases insulin-stimulated glucose disposal in humans and glucose uptake and fatty acid oxidation in vitro via AMP-activated protein kinase. Diabetes. 2006;55:2688-97 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that acute IL-6 treatment enhances insulin-stimulated glucose disposal in humans in vivo, while the effects of IL-6 on glucose and fatty acid metabolism in vitro appear to be mediated by AMPK. ..
- Beurel E, Jope R. Lipopolysaccharide-induced interleukin-6 production is controlled by glycogen synthase kinase-3 and STAT3 in the brain. J Neuroinflammation. 2009;6:9 pubmed publisher..To identify potential targets to control brain IL-6, we tested if IL-6 produced by glia is regulated by signal transducer and activator of transcription-3 (STAT3) and glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK3)...
- White J, Reecy J, Washington T, Sato S, Le M, Davis J, et al. Overload-induced skeletal muscle extracellular matrix remodelling and myofibre growth in mice lacking IL-6. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2009;197:321-32 pubmed publisher..However, MyoD mRNA expression in 3 day OV IL-6(-/-) muscle was attenuated when compared with WT OV mice. IL-6 appears to be necessary for the normal regulation of extracellular matrix remodelling during OV-induced growth. ..
- Harker J, Lewis G, Mack L, Zuniga E. Late interleukin-6 escalates T follicular helper cell responses and controls a chronic viral infection. Science. 2011;334:825-9 pubmed publisher..This resulted in escalation of germinal center reactions and improved antibody responses. Our results uncover an antiviral strategy that helps to safely resolve a persistent infection in vivo...
- Garbers C, Spudy B, Aparicio Siegmund S, Waetzig G, Sommer J, Holscher C, et al. An interleukin-6 receptor-dependent molecular switch mediates signal transduction of the IL-27 cytokine subunit p28 (IL-30) via a gp130 protein receptor homodimer. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:4346-54 pubmed publisher..The binding of p28 to a gp130/Wsx-1 heterodimer or a gp130 homodimer is highly selective and controlled by a novel molecular switch induced by EBI3 or IL-6R, respectively. ..
- Van Snick J, Cayphas S, Vink A, Uyttenhove C, Coulie P, Rubira M, et al. Purification and NH2-terminal amino acid sequence of a T-cell-derived lymphokine with growth factor activity for B-cell hybridomas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1986;83:9679-83 pubmed
- Klover P, Clementi A, Mooney R. Interleukin-6 depletion selectively improves hepatic insulin action in obesity. Endocrinology. 2005;146:3417-27 pubmed..In conclusion, these results indicate that IL-6 plays an important and selective role in hepatic insulin resistance of obesity. ..
- Xu L, Kitani A, Fuss I, Strober W. Cutting edge: regulatory T cells induce CD4+CD25-Foxp3- T cells or are self-induced to become Th17 cells in the absence of exogenous TGF-beta. J Immunol. 2007;178:6725-9 pubmed..They thus have important implications to our understanding of regulatory T cell function and their possible therapeutic use. ..
- Grivennikov S, Karin E, Terzic J, Mucida D, Yu G, Vallabhapurapu S, et al. IL-6 and Stat3 are required for survival of intestinal epithelial cells and development of colitis-associated cancer. Cancer Cell. 2009;15:103-13 pubmed publisher..Proinflammatory cytokines have been suggested to regulate preneoplastic growth during CAC tumorigenesis. Interleukin 6 (IL-6) is a multifunctional NF-kappaB-regulated cytokine that acts on epithelial and immune cells...
- Adser H, Wojtaszewski J, Jakobsen A, Kiilerich K, Hidalgo J, Pilegaard H. Interleukin-6 modifies mRNA expression in mouse skeletal muscle. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2011;202:165-73 pubmed publisher..05) immediately after exercise only in IL-6 KO. In conclusion, IL-6 affects exercise-induced glycogen use, AMPK signalling and TNF-? mRNA responses in mouse skeletal muscle. ..
- Kopf M, Baumann H, Freer G, Freudenberg M, Lamers M, Kishimoto T, et al. Impaired immune and acute-phase responses in interleukin-6-deficient mice. Nature. 1994;368:339-42 pubmed..We conclude that IL-6 production induced by injury or infection is an important in vivo SOS signal which coordinates activities of liver cells, macrophages and lymphocytes. ..
- Yamamoto M, Sato S, Hemmi H, Hoshino K, Kaisho T, Sanjo H, et al. Role of adaptor TRIF in the MyD88-independent toll-like receptor signaling pathway. Science. 2003;301:640-3 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that TRIF is essential for TLR3- and TLR4-mediated signaling pathways facilitating mammalian antiviral host defense. ..
- Jenkins B, Roberts A, Greenhill C, Najdovska M, Lundgren May T, Robb L, et al. Pathologic consequences of STAT3 hyperactivation by IL-6 and IL-11 during hematopoiesis and lymphopoiesis. Blood. 2007;109:2380-8 pubmedWe have previously demonstrated that STAT3 hyperactivation via the interleukin 6 (IL-6) cytokine family receptor gp130 in gp130 (Y757F/Y757F) mice leads to numerous hematopoietic and lymphoid pathologies, including neutrophilia, ..
- Wu C, Hsieh C, Lin C, Chen W, Hong J, Chen M. Significance of IL-6 in the transition of hormone-resistant prostate cancer and the induction of myeloid-derived suppressor cells. J Mol Med (Berl). 2012;90:1343-55 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, altered IL-6/STAT3 signaling is crucial in HR transition, aggressive behavior, and MDSC recruitment. These findings provide evidence for therapeutically targeting IL-6 signaling in prostate cancer. ..
- Bromander A, Ekman L, Kopf M, Nedrud J, Lycke N. IL-6-deficient mice exhibit normal mucosal IgA responses to local immunizations and Helicobacter felis infection. J Immunol. 1996;156:4290-7 pubmed
- Vallières L, Rivest S. Interleukin-6 is a needed proinflammatory cytokine in the prolonged neural activity and transcriptional activation of corticotropin-releasing factor during endotoxemia. Endocrinology. 1999;140:3890-903 pubmed
- Journiac N, Jolly S, Jarvis C, Gautheron V, Rogard M, Trembleau A, et al. The nuclear receptor ROR(alpha) exerts a bi-directional regulation of IL-6 in resting and reactive astrocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:21365-70 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings indicate that ROR(alpha) is a pluripotent molecular player in constitutive and adaptive astrocyte physiology. ..
- Park E, Lee J, Yu G, He G, Ali S, Holzer R, et al. Dietary and genetic obesity promote liver inflammation and tumorigenesis by enhancing IL-6 and TNF expression. Cell. 2010;140:197-208 pubmed publisher..The chronic inflammatory response caused by obesity and enhanced production of IL-6 and TNF may also increase the risk of other cancers. ..
- Horii Y, Muraguchi A, Iwano M, Matsuda T, Hirayama T, Yamada H, et al. Involvement of IL-6 in mesangial proliferative glomerulonephritis. J Immunol. 1989;143:3949-55 pubmed..These data suggest that deregulated production of IL-6 is involved in PGN and the measurement of urine IL-6 is helpful for the differential diagnosis of PGN as well as for monitoring the progression of PGN. ..
- Dalrymple S, Lucian L, Slattery R, McNeil T, Aud D, Fuchino S, et al. Interleukin-6-deficient mice are highly susceptible to Listeria monocytogenes infection: correlation with inefficient neutrophilia. Infect Immun. 1995;63:2262-8 pubmed..Additionally, these data show a promising therapeutic potential for rIL-6 administration during opportunistic infection. ..
- Pasare C, Medzhitov R. Toll pathway-dependent blockade of CD4+CD25+ T cell-mediated suppression by dendritic cells. Science. 2003;299:1033-6 pubmed..This block of suppressor activity was dependent in part on interleukin-6, which was induced by TLRs upon recognition of microbial products. ..
- Fäldt J, Wernstedt I, Fitzgerald S, Wallenius K, Bergstrom G, Jansson J. Reduced exercise endurance in interleukin-6-deficient mice. Endocrinology. 2004;145:2680-6 pubmed..In summary, IL-6(-/-) mice have reduced endurance and energy expenditure during exercise, suggesting that IL-6 is necessary for normal exercise capacity. ..
- Schieffer B, Selle T, Hilfiker A, Hilfiker Kleiner D, Grote K, Tietge U, et al. Impact of interleukin-6 on plaque development and morphology in experimental atherosclerosis. Circulation. 2004;110:3493-500 pubmed..These observations are consistent with the notion that baseline levels of IL-6 are required to modulate lipid homeostasis, vascular remodeling, and plaque inflammation in atherosclerosis. ..
- Kielar M, John R, Bennett M, Richardson J, Shelton J, Chen L, et al. Maladaptive role of IL-6 in ischemic acute renal failure. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005;16:3315-25 pubmed..It is concluded that macrophages infiltrate the area of the vascular bundles of the outer medulla, these macrophages produce IL-6, and this IL-6 exacerbates ischemic murine acute renal failure. ..
- Zheng Y, Danilenko D, Valdez P, Kasman I, Eastham Anderson J, Wu J, et al. Interleukin-22, a T(H)17 cytokine, mediates IL-23-induced dermal inflammation and acanthosis. Nature. 2007;445:648-51 pubmed..IL-22, as an effector cytokine produced by T cells, mediates the crosstalk between the immune system and epithelial cells. ..
- Schirmacher P, Peters M, Ciliberto G, Blessing M, Lotz J, Meyer zum Buschenfelde K, et al. Hepatocellular hyperplasia, plasmacytoma formation, and extramedullary hematopoiesis in interleukin (IL)-6/soluble IL-6 receptor double-transgenic mice. Am J Pathol. 1998;153:639-48 pubmed..Interestingly, the complex of IL-6 and the soluble interleukin 6 receptor (sIL-6R) activates target cells that do not express the membrane-bound IL-6R and therefore cannot ..
- Sun J, Sukhova G, Yang M, Wolters P, MacFarlane L, Libby P, et al. Mast cells modulate the pathogenesis of elastase-induced abdominal aortic aneurysms in mice. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:3359-68 pubmed
- Pflegerl P, Vesely P, Hantusch B, Schlederer M, Zenz R, Janig E, et al. Epidermal loss of JunB leads to a SLE phenotype due to hyper IL-6 signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:20423-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, we show that JunB(Deltaep) mice develop a SLE phenotype linked to increased epidermal interleukin 6 (IL-6) secretion. Intercrosses with IL-6-deficient mice could rescue the SLE phenotype...
- Croker B, Krebs D, Zhang J, Wormald S, Willson T, Stanley E, et al. SOCS3 negatively regulates IL-6 signaling in vivo. Nat Immunol. 2003;4:540-5 pubmed..Our data indicate that SOCS3 and SOCS1 have reciprocal functions in IL-6 and IFN-gamma regulation and imply that SOCS3 has a role in preventing IFN-gamma-like responses in cells stimulated by IL-6. ..
- Kelly M, Keller C, Avilucea P, Keller P, Luo Z, Xiang X, et al. AMPK activity is diminished in tissues of IL-6 knockout mice: the effect of exercise. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;320:449-54 pubmed..They also suggest that a genetic lack of IL-6 is associated with a decrease in AMPK activity. ..
- Yen D, Cheung J, Scheerens H, Poulet F, McClanahan T, McKenzie B, et al. IL-23 is essential for T cell-mediated colitis and promotes inflammation via IL-17 and IL-6. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:1310-6 pubmed..This pathway may be responsible for chronic intestinal inflammation as well as other chronic autoimmune inflammatory diseases. ..
- Nurieva R, Chung Y, Hwang D, Yang X, Kang H, Ma L, et al. Generation of T follicular helper cells is mediated by interleukin-21 but independent of T helper 1, 2, or 17 cell lineages. Immunity. 2008;29:138-49 pubmed publisher..This study thus demonstrates that Tfh is a distinct Th cell lineage. ..
- Diaz J, Booth A, Lu G, Wood S, Pinsky D, Bishop D. Critical role for IL-6 in hypertrophy and fibrosis in chronic cardiac allograft rejection. Am J Transplant. 2009;9:1773-83 pubmed publisher..These observations reveal a new paradigm in which IL-6 drives development of pathologic hypertrophy and fibrosis in chronic cardiac allograft rejection and suggest that IL-6 could be a therapeutic target to prevent this disease. ..