Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Il22
Description: interleukin 22
Alias: IL-22, IL-22a, ILTIFa, Iltif, interleukin-22, IL-10-related T-cell-derived-inducible factor, IL-TIF alpha, ILTIF alpha, interleukin 10-related T cell-derived inducible factor, interleukin-22a
- Kreymborg K, Etzensperger R, Dumoutier L, Haak S, Rebollo A, Buch T, et al. IL-22 is expressed by Th17 cells in an IL-23-dependent fashion, but not required for the development of autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol. 2007;179:8098-104 pubmed..Taken together, we show that self-reactive Th cells coexpress IL-17 and IL-22, but that the latter also does not appear to be directly involved in autoimmune pathogenesis of the CNS. ..
- Siegemund S, Schütze N, Schulz S, Wolk K, Nasilowska K, Straubinger R, et al. Differential IL-23 requirement for IL-22 and IL-17A production during innate immunity against Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis. Int Immunol. 2009;21:555-65 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we provide evidence that production of IL-22 and IL-17A is differentially regulated during infection. ..
- Dudakov J, Hanash A, Jenq R, Young L, Ghosh A, Singer N, et al. Interleukin-22 drives endogenous thymic regeneration in mice. Science. 2012;336:91-5 pubmed publisher..Administration of IL-22 enhanced thymic recovery after total body irradiation. These studies reveal mechanisms of endogenous thymic repair and offer innovative regenerative strategies for improving immune competence. ..
- Liang S, Tan X, Luxenberg D, Karim R, Dunussi Joannopoulos K, Collins M, et al. Interleukin (IL)-22 and IL-17 are coexpressed by Th17 cells and cooperatively enhance expression of antimicrobial peptides. J Exp Med. 2006;203:2271-9 pubmed..Collectively, we have identified IL-22 as a new cytokine expressed by Th17 cells that synergizes with IL-17A or IL-17F to regulate genes associated with skin innate immunity. ..
- Basu R, O Quinn D, Silberger D, Schoeb T, Fouser L, Ouyang W, et al. Th22 cells are an important source of IL-22 for host protection against enteropathogenic bacteria. Immunity. 2012;37:1061-75 pubmed publisher..These findings establish Th22 cells as an important component of mucosal antimicrobial host defense. ..
- Taube C, Tertilt C, Gyülveszi G, Dehzad N, Kreymborg K, Schneeweiss K, et al. IL-22 is produced by innate lymphoid cells and limits inflammation in allergic airway disease. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21799 pubmed publisher..We conclude that innate IL-22 limits airway inflammation, tissue damage and clinical decline in allergic lung disease. ..
- Pickert G, Neufert C, Leppkes M, Zheng Y, Wittkopf N, Warntjen M, et al. STAT3 links IL-22 signaling in intestinal epithelial cells to mucosal wound healing. J Exp Med. 2009;206:1465-72 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data suggest that intestinal epithelial STAT3 activation regulates immune homeostasis in the gut by promoting IL-22-dependent mucosal wound healing. ..
- Huber S, Gagliani N, Zenewicz L, Huber F, Bosurgi L, Hu B, et al. IL-22BP is regulated by the inflammasome and modulates tumorigenesis in the intestine. Nature. 2012;491:259-63 pubmed publisher..b>Interleukin 22 (IL-22), a cytokine of the IL-10 superfamily, has an important role in colonic epithelial cell repair, and its ..
- Zheng Y, Valdez P, Danilenko D, Hu Y, Sa S, Gong Q, et al. Interleukin-22 mediates early host defense against attaching and effacing bacterial pathogens. Nat Med. 2008;14:282-9 pubmed publisher..rodentium infection. Together, our data identify a new innate immune function for IL-22 in regulating early defense mechanisms against A/E bacterial pathogens...
- Satoh Takayama N, Dumoutier L, Lesjean Pottier S, Ribeiro V, Mandelboim O, Renauld J, et al. The natural cytotoxicity receptor NKp46 is dispensable for IL-22-mediated innate intestinal immune defense against Citrobacter rodentium. J Immunol. 2009;183:6579-87 pubmed publisher..Our results provide further evidence for functional heterogeneity in intestinal NKp46(+) cells that contrast with splenic NK cells. ..
- Pociask D, Scheller E, Mandalapu S, McHugh K, Enelow R, Fattman C, et al. IL-22 is essential for lung epithelial repair following influenza infection. Am J Pathol. 2013;182:1286-96 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that IL-22 is required for normal lung repair after influenza infection. IL-22 represents a novel pathway involved in interstitial lung disease...
- De Luca A, Zelante T, D Angelo C, Zagarella S, Fallarino F, Spreca A, et al. IL-22 defines a novel immune pathway of antifungal resistance. Mucosal Immunol. 2010;3:361-73 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings suggest that protective immunity to candidiasis is made up of a staged response involving an early, IL-22-dominated response followed by Th1/Treg reactivity that will prevent fungal dissemination and supply memory. ..
- Zhang W, Dang E, Shi X, Jin L, Feng Z, Hu L, et al. The pro-inflammatory cytokine IL-22 up-regulates keratin 17 expression in keratinocytes via STAT3 and ERK1/2. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40797 pubmed publisher..To investigate the regulation of K17 expression by the pro-inflammatory cytokine IL-22 in keratinocytes and its important role in our previously hypothesized "K17/T cell/cytokine autoimmune loop" in psoriasis...
- Park O, Wang H, Weng H, Feigenbaum L, Li H, Yin S, et al. In vivo consequences of liver-specific interleukin-22 expression in mice: Implications for human liver disease progression. Hepatology. 2011;54:252-61 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that localized production of IL-22 in the liver promotes hepatocyte survival and proliferation but primes the liver to be more susceptible to tumor development without significantly affecting liver inflammation. ..
- Wolk K, Witte E, Hoffmann U, Doecke W, Endesfelder S, Asadullah K, et al. IL-22 induces lipopolysaccharide-binding protein in hepatocytes: a potential systemic role of IL-22 in Crohn's disease. J Immunol. 2007;178:5973-81 pubmed..These data suggest that systemic IL-22 may contribute to the prevention of systemic inflammation provoked by LPS present in the blood of CD patients through its induction of hepatic LBP. ..
- Takatori H, Kanno Y, Watford W, Tato C, Weiss G, Ivanov I, et al. Lymphoid tissue inducer-like cells are an innate source of IL-17 and IL-22. J Exp Med. 2009;206:35-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, it appears that splenic LTi-like cells are a rapid source of IL-17 and IL-22, which might contribute to dynamic organization of secondary lymphoid organ structure or host defense. ..
- Weber G, Gaertner F, Erl W, Janssen K, Blechert B, Holzmann B, et al. IL-22-mediated tumor growth reduction correlates with inhibition of ERK1/2 and AKT phosphorylation and induction of cell cycle arrest in the G2-M phase. J Immunol. 2006;177:8266-72 pubmed..Therefore, IL-22 may play a role in the control of tumor growth and tumor progression. ..
- Zenewicz L, Yancopoulos G, Valenzuela D, Murphy A, Karow M, Flavell R. Interleukin-22 but not interleukin-17 provides protection to hepatocytes during acute liver inflammation. Immunity. 2007;27:647-59 pubmed..Our data suggest that IL-22 serves as a protective molecule to counteract the destructive nature of the immune response to limit tissue damage. ..
- Dumoutier L, de Heusch M, Orabona C, Satoh Takayama N, Eberl G, Sirard J, et al. IL-22 is produced by ?C-independent CD25+ CCR6+ innate murine spleen cells upon inflammatory stimuli and contributes to LPS-induced lethality. Eur J Immunol. 2011;41:1075-85 pubmed publisher..The importance of IL-22 production for the LPS-triggered response is highlighted by the fact that IL-22-deficient mice are more resistant to LPS-induced mortality. ..
- Sonnenberg G, Monticelli L, Elloso M, Fouser L, Artis D. CD4(+) lymphoid tissue-inducer cells promote innate immunity in the gut. Immunity. 2011;34:122-34 pubmed publisher..Collectively these data demonstrate that adult CD4(+) LTi cells are a critical source of IL-22 and identify a previously unrecognized function for CD4(+) LTi cells in promoting innate immunity in the intestine. ..
- Takahashi K, Hirose K, Kawashima S, Niwa Y, Wakashin H, Iwata A, et al. IL-22 attenuates IL-25 production by lung epithelial cells and inhibits antigen-induced eosinophilic airway inflammation. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;128:1067-76.e1-6 pubmed publisher..Finally, IL-22 inhibited IL-13-mediated enhancement of IL-25 expression in IL-1?- or LPS-stimulated MLE-15 cells. IL-22 attenuates antigen-induced airway inflammation, possibly by inhibiting IL-25 production by lung epithelial cells. ..
- Liang S, Nickerson Nutter C, Pittman D, Carrier Y, Goodwin D, Shields K, et al. IL-22 induces an acute-phase response. J Immunol. 2010;185:5531-8 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, we propose that downstream of its expression and impact in local tissue inflammation, circulating IL-22 can further induce changes in systemic physiology that is indicative of an acute-phase response...
- Kinnebrew M, Buffie C, Diehl G, Zenewicz L, Leiner I, Hohl T, et al. Interleukin 23 production by intestinal CD103(+)CD11b(+) dendritic cells in response to bacterial flagellin enhances mucosal innate immune defense. Immunity. 2012;36:276-87 pubmed publisher..Thus, CD103(+)CD11b(+) LPDCs, in addition to promoting long-term tolerance to ingested antigens, also rapidly produce IL-23 in response to detection of flagellin in the lamina propria. ..
- Satoh Takayama N, Lesjean Pottier S, Sawa S, Vosshenrich C, Eberl G, Di Santo J. Lymphotoxin-? receptor-independent development of intestinal IL-22-producing NKp46+ innate lymphoid cells. Eur J Immunol. 2011;41:780-6 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that organized lymphoid tissue structures are not critical for the generation of an intact and fully functional intestinal NCR22 cell compartment. ..
- Khader S, Guglani L, Rangel Moreno J, Gopal R, Junecko B, Fountain J, et al. IL-23 is required for long-term control of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and B cell follicle formation in the infected lung. J Immunol. 2011;187:5402-7 pubmed publisher..Further, although IL-17 and IL-22 can both contribute to Cxcl13 production and B cell follicle formation, it is IL-23 that is critical in this regard. ..
- Dumoutier L, Louahed J, Renauld J. Cloning and characterization of IL-10-related T cell-derived inducible factor (IL-TIF), a novel cytokine structurally related to IL-10 and inducible by IL-9. J Immunol. 2000;164:1814-9 pubmed..Further studies will have to address the possibility that some of the IL-9 activities may be mediated by IL-TIF. ..
- Simonian P, Wehrmann F, Roark C, Born W, O Brien R, Fontenot A. ?? T cells protect against lung fibrosis via IL-22. J Exp Med. 2010;207:2239-53 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the presence of protective ?? T cells and IL-22 diminished recruitment of CD4(+) T cells to lung. These data reveal a protective pathway that involves the inhibition of ?? T cells by regulatory IL-22-secreting ?? T cells. ..
- Sarkar S, Zhou X, Justa S, Bommireddy S. Interleukin-22 reduces the severity of collagen-induced arthritis in association with increased levels of interleukin-10. Arthritis Rheum. 2013;65:960-71 pubmed publisher..This study was undertaken to investigate the mechanism of action and role of systemic IL-22 in modulating target organ inflammation...
- Geboes L, Dumoutier L, Kelchtermans H, Schurgers E, Mitera T, Renauld J, et al. Proinflammatory role of the Th17 cytokine interleukin-22 in collagen-induced arthritis in C57BL/6 mice. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60:390-5 pubmed publisher..To investigate the role of interleukin-22 (IL-22) in collagen-induced arthritis (CIA), an animal model of rheumatoid arthritis...
- Pan H, Hong F, Radaeva S, Gao B. Hydrodynamic gene delivery of interleukin-22 protects the mouse liver from concanavalin A-, carbon tetrachloride-, and Fas ligand-induced injury via activation of STAT3. Cell Mol Immunol. 2004;1:43-9 pubmed..In conclusion, hydrodynamic gene delivery of IL-22 protects against liver injury induced by a variety of toxins, suggesting the therapeutic potential of IL-22 in treating human liver disease. ..
- Ma H, Liang S, Li J, Napierata L, Brown T, Benoit S, et al. IL-22 is required for Th17 cell-mediated pathology in a mouse model of psoriasis-like skin inflammation. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:597-607 pubmed publisher..We propose that IL-22 antagonism might be a promising therapy for the treatment of human psoriasis. ..
- Goto M, Murakawa M, Kadoshima Yamaoka K, Tanaka Y, Nagahira K, Fukuda Y, et al. Murine NKT cells produce Th17 cytokine interleukin-22. Cell Immunol. 2009;254:81-4 pubmed publisher..These findings show for the first time that NKT cells are a cell source of IL-22, and that expression of two Th17 cytokines might be regulated in NKT cells by different mechanisms. ..
- Zhao J, Zhang Z, Luan Y, Zou Z, Sun Y, Li Y, et al. Pathological functions of interleukin-22 in chronic liver inflammation and fibrosis with hepatitis B virus infection by promoting T helper 17 cell recruitment. Hepatology. 2014;59:1331-42 pubmed publisher..IL-22 plays a pathological role in exacerbating chronic liver inflammation and fibrosis by recruiting hepatic Th17 cells in HBV-infected patients and HBV Tg mice. ..
- Savan R, McFarland A, Reynolds D, Feigenbaum L, Ramakrishnan K, Karwan M, et al. A novel role for IL-22R1 as a driver of inflammation. Blood. 2011;117:575-84 pubmed publisher..This study documents a previously unknown role of IL-22R1 in inflammation and identifies the involvement of IL-22R1/IL-22 in ALK(+)ALCL. ..
- Gessner M, Werner J, Lilly L, Nelson M, Metz A, Dunaway C, et al. Dectin-1-dependent interleukin-22 contributes to early innate lung defense against Aspergillus fumigatus. Infect Immun. 2012;80:410-7 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results indicate that early innate lung defense against A. fumigatus is mediated by Dectin-1-dependent IL-22 production. ..
- Sonnenberg G, Nair M, Kirn T, Zaph C, Fouser L, Artis D. Pathological versus protective functions of IL-22 in airway inflammation are regulated by IL-17A. J Exp Med. 2010;207:1293-305 pubmed publisher..Bleomycin-induced disease was ameliorated in Il22-/- mice or after anti-IL-22 monoclonal antibody (mAb) treatment of WT mice, indicating a proinflammatory/..
- Kamanaka M, Huber S, Zenewicz L, Gagliani N, Rathinam C, O Connor W, et al. Memory/effector (CD45RB(lo)) CD4 T cells are controlled directly by IL-10 and cause IL-22-dependent intestinal pathology. J Exp Med. 2011;208:1027-40 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight characteristic differences between colitis induced by naive (CD45RB(hi)) and memory/effector (T(reg) cell-depleted CD45RB(lo)) cells and different ways that IL-22 impacts inflammatory bowel disease. ..
- Kumar P, Thakar M, Ouyang W, Malarkannan S. IL-22 from conventional NK cells is epithelial regenerative and inflammation protective during influenza infection. Mucosal Immunol. 2013;6:69-82 pubmed publisher..Our findings strongly suggest that conventional NK cells have evolved to both kill virus-infected cells and also to provide vital cytokines for tissue regeneration...
- Levillayer F, Mas M, Levi Acobas F, Brahic M, Bureau J. Interleukin 22 is a candidate gene for Tmevp3, a locus controlling Theiler's virus-induced neurological diseases. Genetics. 2007;176:1835-44 pubmed..b>Il22, a member of the IL-10 cytokine family, is a candidate gene for the control of mortality during the acute ..
- Sugimoto K, Ogawa A, Mizoguchi E, Shimomura Y, Andoh A, Bhan A, et al. IL-22 ameliorates intestinal inflammation in a mouse model of ulcerative colitis. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:534-44 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate what we believe to be a novel function for IL-22 in the intestine and suggest the potency of a local IL-22 gene-delivery system for treating UC. ..
- Dumoutier L, Van Roost E, Ameye G, Michaux L, Renauld J. IL-TIF/IL-22: genomic organization and mapping of the human and mouse genes. Genes Immun. 2000;1:488-94 pubmed..A DNA fragment corresponding to this deletion was sufficient to confer IL-9-regulated expression of a luciferase reporter plasmid, suggesting that the IL-TIF beta gene is either differentially regulated, or not expressed at all. ..
- Conti H, Shen F, Nayyar N, Stocum E, Sun J, Lindemann M, et al. Th17 cells and IL-17 receptor signaling are essential for mucosal host defense against oral candidiasis. J Exp Med. 2009;206:299-311 pubmed publisher..Thus, the Th17 lineage, acting largely through IL-17, confers the dominant response to oral candidiasis through neutrophils and antimicrobial factors...
- Satoh Takayama N, Vosshenrich C, Lesjean Pottier S, Sawa S, Lochner M, Rattis F, et al. Microbial flora drives interleukin 22 production in intestinal NKp46+ cells that provide innate mucosal immune defense. Immunity. 2008;29:958-70 pubmed publisher..RORgammat-driven diversification of intestinal NKp46+ cells thereby specifies an innate cellular defense mechanism that operates at mucosal surfaces...
- Ness Schwickerath K, Morita C. Regulation and function of IL-17A- and IL-22-producing ?? T cells. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2011;68:2371-90 pubmed publisher..These observations highlight differences between humans and murine ?? T cells and underscore the importance of IL-17A- and IL-22-producing ?? T cells. ..
- Van Belle A, de Heusch M, Lemaire M, Hendrickx E, Warnier G, Dunussi Joannopoulos K, et al. IL-22 is required for imiquimod-induced psoriasiform skin inflammation in mice. J Immunol. 2012;188:462-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data show that IL-22 is required for psoriasis-like lesions in the mouse imiquimod model and is produced by both T cells and innate immune cells. ..
- Zheng Y, Danilenko D, Valdez P, Kasman I, Eastham Anderson J, Wu J, et al. Interleukin-22, a T(H)17 cytokine, mediates IL-23-induced dermal inflammation and acanthosis. Nature. 2007;445:648-51 pubmed..IL-22, as an effector cytokine produced by T cells, mediates the crosstalk between the immune system and epithelial cells. ..
- Hanash A, Dudakov J, Hua G, O Connor M, Young L, Singer N, et al. Interleukin-22 protects intestinal stem cells from immune-mediated tissue damage and regulates sensitivity to graft versus host disease. Immunity. 2012;37:339-50 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal IL-22 as a critical regulator of tissue sensitivity to GVHD and a protective factor for ISCs during inflammatory intestinal damage. ..
- Sanos S, Vonarbourg C, Mortha A, Diefenbach A. Control of epithelial cell function by interleukin-22-producing ROR?t+ innate lymphoid cells. Immunology. 2011;132:453-65 pubmed publisher..This review will highlight recent progress in understanding development and function of innate IL-22-producing lymphocyte subsets. ..
- Aujla S, Chan Y, Zheng M, Fei M, Askew D, Pociask D, et al. IL-22 mediates mucosal host defense against Gram-negative bacterial pneumonia. Nat Med. 2008;14:275-81 pubmed publisher..These data support the concept that the T(H)17 cell lineage and its effector molecules have evolved to effect host defense against extracellular pathogens at mucosal sites. ..
- Xiao C, Zhou Q, Li X, Li H, Zhong Y, Meng T, et al. Losartan and Dexamethasone may inhibit chemotaxis to reduce the infiltration of Th22 cells in IgA nephropathy. Int Immunopharmacol. 2017;42:203-208 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, Losartan and Dexamethasone may suppress inflammatory responses by inhibiting the chemotaxis of Th22 cells in IgA nephropathy. ..
- Pan B, Liu J, Zhang Y, Sun Y, Wu Q, Zhao K, et al. Acute ablation of DP thymocytes induces up-regulation of IL-22 and Foxn1 in TECs. Clin Immunol. 2014;150:101-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Foxn1 related genes that regulate the function of TEC were also up-regulated. Thus, our data reveal that TBI treatment triggers regeneration program of TEC. ..