Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Il17a
Description: interleukin 17A
Alias: Ctla-8, Ctla8, IL-17, IL-17A, Il17, interleukin-17A, cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated antigen 8
- Hirahara K, Ghoreschi K, Yang X, Takahashi H, Laurence A, Vahedi G, et al. Interleukin-27 priming of T cells controls IL-17 production in trans via induction of the ligand PD-L1. Immunity. 2012;36:1017-30 pubmed publisher..Thus, these data identify a suppressive activity of IL-27, by which CD4(+) TÂ cells can restrict differentiation of Th17 cells in trans. ..
- Meng F, Wang K, Aoyama T, Grivennikov S, Paik Y, Scholten D, et al. Interleukin-17 signaling in inflammatory, Kupffer cells, and hepatic stellate cells exacerbates liver fibrosis in mice. Gastroenterology. 2012;143:765-776.e3 pubmed publisher..IL-17 induces liver fibrosis through multiple mechanisms in mice. Reagents that block these pathways might be developed as therapeutics for patients with cirrhosis. ..
- Zhu S, Pan W, Song X, Liu Y, Shao X, Tang Y, et al. The microRNA miR-23b suppresses IL-17-associated autoimmune inflammation by targeting TAB2, TAB3 and IKK-?. Nat Med. 2012;18:1077-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, IL-17 contributes to autoimmune pathogenesis by suppressing miR-23b expression in radio-resident cells and promoting proinflammatory cytokine expression. ..
- Coccia M, Harrison O, Schiering C, Asquith M, Becher B, Powrie F, et al. IL-1Î² mediates chronic intestinal inflammation by promoting the accumulation of IL-17A secreting innate lymphoid cells and CD4(+) Th17 cells. J Exp Med. 2012;209:1595-609 pubmed publisher..These data identify multiple mechanisms through which IL-1Î² promotes intestinal pathology and suggest that targeting IL-1Î² may represent a useful therapeutic approach in IBD. ..
- Katayama M, Ohmura K, Yukawa N, Terao C, Hashimoto M, Yoshifuji H, et al. Neutrophils are essential as a source of IL-17 in the effector phase of arthritis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62231 pubmed publisher..However, the role of IL-17 in the T cell-independent effector phase has not fully been examined. We investigated whether IL-17 is involved in the effector phase of arthritis by using K/BxN serum-induced arthritis model...
- Hirota K, Turner J, Villa M, Duarte J, Demengeot J, Steinmetz O, et al. Plasticity of Th17 cells in Peyer's patches is responsible for the induction of T cell-dependent IgA responses. Nat Immunol. 2013;14:372-9 pubmed publisher..Mice deficient in TH17 cells failed to generate antigen-specific IgA responses, which provides evidence that TH17 cells are the crucial subset required for the production of high-affinity T cell-dependent IgA. ..
- Wang L, Yi T, Kortylewski M, Pardoll D, Zeng D, Yu H. IL-17 can promote tumor growth through an IL-6-Stat3 signaling pathway. J Exp Med. 2009;206:1457-64 pubmed publisher..The Th17 response can thus promote tumor growth, in part via an IL-6-Stat3 pathway. ..
- Lajoie S, Lewkowich I, Suzuki Y, Clark J, Sproles A, Dienger K, et al. Complement-mediated regulation of the IL-17A axis is a central genetic determinant of the severity of experimental allergic asthma. Nat Immunol. 2010;11:928-35 pubmed publisherSevere asthma is associated with the production of interleukin 17A (IL-17A). The exact role of IL-17A in severe asthma and the factors that drive its production are unknown...
- Marks B, Nowyhed H, Choi J, Poholek A, Odegard J, Flavell R, et al. Thymic self-reactivity selects natural interleukin 17-producing T cells that can regulate peripheral inflammation. Nat Immunol. 2009;10:1125-32 pubmed publisher..In the liver, these cells secreted IL-22 in response to self antigen and mediated host protection during inflammation. Thus, T(H)-17 cells, like T(reg) cells, can be selected by self antigens in the thymus. ..
- Leppkes M, Becker C, Ivanov I, Hirth S, Wirtz S, Neufert C, et al. RORgamma-expressing Th17 cells induce murine chronic intestinal inflammation via redundant effects of IL-17A and IL-17F. Gastroenterology. 2009;136:257-67 pubmed publisher..Reagents that target RORgamma or a combination of anti-IL-17A and anti-IL-17F might be developed as therapeutics for chronic colitis. ..
- von Vietinghoff S, Ley K. IL-17A controls IL-17F production and maintains blood neutrophil counts in mice. J Immunol. 2009;183:865-73 pubmed publisher..neutrophil counts found in IL-17RA-deficient mice, neutrophil counts were mildly increased in IL-17A-deficient (Il17a(-/-)) animals. There was no evidence for infection or altered neutrophil function...
- Saijo S, Ikeda S, Yamabe K, Kakuta S, Ishigame H, Akitsu A, et al. Dectin-2 recognition of alpha-mannans and induction of Th17 cell differentiation is essential for host defense against Candida albicans. Immunity. 2010;32:681-91 pubmed publisher..Because IL-17A-deficient mice were highly susceptible to systemic candida infection, this study suggests that Dectin-2 is important in host defense against C. albicans by inducing Th17 cell differentiation. ..
- Joshi S, Pantalena L, Liu X, Gaffen S, Liu H, Rohowsky Kochan C, et al. 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) ameliorates Th17 autoimmunity via transcriptional modulation of interleukin-17A. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:3653-69 pubmed publisher..Our results describe novel mechanisms and new concepts with regard to vitamin D and the immune system and suggest therapeutic targets for the control of autoimmune diseases. ..
- Zelante T, Iannitti R, De Luca A, Arroyo J, Blanco N, Servillo G, et al. Sensing of mammalian IL-17A regulates fungal adaptation and virulence. Nat Commun. 2012;3:683 pubmed publisher..This might exemplify a mechanism whereby fungi have evolved a means of sensing host immunity to ensure their own persistence in an immunologically dynamic environment. ..
- Moisan J, Grenningloh R, Bettelli E, Oukka M, Ho I. Ets-1 is a negative regulator of Th17 differentiation. J Exp Med. 2007;204:2825-35 pubmed..Based on these observations, we report that Ets-1 is a negative regulator of Th17 differentiation. ..
- Ivanov S, Bozinovski S, Bossios A, Valadi H, Vlahos R, Malmhäll C, et al. Functional relevance of the IL-23-IL-17 axis in lungs in vivo. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2007;36:442-51 pubmed..These findings support that IL-23 and IL-17 form a functionally relevant "immunological axis" in the lungs in vivo. ..
- Joosten L, Abdollahi Roodsaz S, Heuvelmans Jacobs M, Helsen M, van den Bersselaar L, Oppers Walgreen B, et al. T cell dependence of chronic destructive murine arthritis induced by repeated local activation of Toll-like receptor-driven pathways: crucial role of both interleukin-1beta and interleukin-17. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:98-108 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the TNFalpha dependence of arthritis is lost during the erosive stage, when Th17 cells become crucial. IL-1beta dependence remains strong, consistent with its pivotal role in the generation of Th17 cells. ..
- Uyttenhove C, Sommereyns C, Theate I, Michiels T, Van Snick J. Anti-IL-17A autovaccination prevents clinical and histological manifestations of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1110:330-6 pubmed..These results further extend the analytical and therapeutic potential of the autovaccine procedure. ..
- Torchinsky M, Garaude J, Martin A, Blander J. Innate immune recognition of infected apoptotic cells directs T(H)17 cell differentiation. Nature. 2009;458:78-82 pubmed publisher..Because T(H)17 cells have been correlated with autoimmune diseases, investigation of the pathways of innate recognition of infected apoptotic cells might lead to improved understanding of the causative defects in autoimmunity. ..
- Vokaer B, Van Rompaey N, Lemaître P, Lhommé F, Kubjak C, Benghiat F, et al. Critical role of regulatory T cells in Th17-mediated minor antigen-disparate rejection. J Immunol. 2010;185:3417-25 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the ability of Tregs to promote the Th17/neutrophil-mediated pathway of rejection that we have described should be considered as a potential drawback of Treg-based cell therapy. ..
- Takatori H, Kanno Y, Watford W, Tato C, Weiss G, Ivanov I, et al. Lymphoid tissue inducer-like cells are an innate source of IL-17 and IL-22. J Exp Med. 2009;206:35-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, it appears that splenic LTi-like cells are a rapid source of IL-17 and IL-22, which might contribute to dynamic organization of secondary lymphoid organ structure or host defense. ..
- Mitsdoerffer M, Lee Y, Jäger A, Kim H, Korn T, Kolls J, et al. Proinflammatory T helper type 17 cells are effective B-cell helpers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:14292-7 pubmed publisher..These observations provide insights into the unappreciated role of TH17 cells and their signature cytokines in mediating B-cell differentiation and class switch recombination. ..
- Lin L, Ibrahim A, Xu X, Farber J, Avanesian V, Baquir B, et al. Th1-Th17 cells mediate protective adaptive immunity against Staphylococcus aureus and Candida albicans infection in mice. PLoS Pathog. 2009;5:e1000703 pubmed publisher..aureus and C. albicans from tissues. Thus, vaccine-mediated adaptive immunity can protect against both infections by targeting microbes for destruction by innate effectors. ..
- Kang Z, Altuntas C, Gulen M, Liu C, Giltiay N, Qin H, et al. Astrocyte-restricted ablation of interleukin-17-induced Act1-mediated signaling ameliorates autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Immunity. 2010;32:414-25 pubmed publisher..Specifically, Act1-deficient astrocytes showed impaired IL-17-mediated inflammatory gene induction. Thus, astroctyes are critical in IL-17-Act1-mediated leukocyte recruitment during autoimmune-induced inflammation of the CNS. ..
- Bai H, Cheng J, Gao X, Joyee A, Fan Y, Wang S, et al. IL-17/Th17 promotes type 1 T cell immunity against pulmonary intracellular bacterial infection through modulating dendritic cell function. J Immunol. 2009;183:5886-95 pubmed publisher..These findings provide in vivo evidence that IL-17/Th17 plays an important role in host defense against intracellular bacterial infection, and suggest that IL-17/Th17 can promote type 1 T cell immunity through modulating DC function...
- Conti H, Shen F, Nayyar N, Stocum E, Sun J, Lindemann M, et al. Th17 cells and IL-17 receptor signaling are essential for mucosal host defense against oral candidiasis. J Exp Med. 2009;206:299-311 pubmed publisher..Thus, the Th17 lineage, acting largely through IL-17, confers the dominant response to oral candidiasis through neutrophils and antimicrobial factors...
- Lopez Kostka S, Dinges S, Griewank K, Iwakura Y, Udey M, von Stebut E. IL-17 promotes progression of cutaneous leishmaniasis in susceptible mice. J Immunol. 2009;182:3039-46 pubmed publisher..major-infected BALB/c mice, and suggests that IL-23 production by L. major-infected DC maintains IL-17(+) cells that influence disease progression via regulation of neutrophil recruitment. ..
- Cai Y, Shen X, Ding C, Qi C, Li K, Li X, et al. Pivotal role of dermal IL-17-producing ?? T cells in skin inflammation. Immunity. 2011;35:596-610 pubmed publisher..Thus, IL-23-responsive dermal ?? T cells are the major IL-17 producers in the skin and may represent a novel target for the treatment of psoriasis. ..
- Lubberts E, van den Bersselaar L, Oppers Walgreen B, Schwarzenberger P, Coenen de Roo C, Kolls J, et al. IL-17 promotes bone erosion in murine collagen-induced arthritis through loss of the receptor activator of NF-kappa B ligand/osteoprotegerin balance. J Immunol. 2003;170:2655-62 pubmed..These findings suggest T cell IL-17 to be an important inducer of RANKL expression leading to loss of the RANKL/OPG balance, stimulating osteoclastogenesis and bone erosion in arthritis. ..
- Izcue A, Hue S, Buonocore S, Arancibia Cárcamo C, Ahern P, Iwakura Y, et al. Interleukin-23 restrains regulatory T cell activity to drive T cell-dependent colitis. Immunity. 2008;28:559-70 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that overriding immunosuppressive pathways is an important function of IL-23 in the intestine and could influence not only Th17 cell activity but also other types of immune responses. ..
- Crowe C, Chen K, Pociask D, Alcorn J, Krivich C, Enelow R, et al. Critical role of IL-17RA in immunopathology of influenza infection. J Immunol. 2009;183:5301-10 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data support targeting IL-17 or IL-17RA in acute lung injury due to acute viral infection. ..
- Dunne A, Ross P, Pospisilova E, Masin J, Meaney A, Sutton C, et al. Inflammasome activation by adenylate cyclase toxin directs Th17 responses and protection against Bordetella pertussis. J Immunol. 2010;185:1711-9 pubmed publisher..In addition to its known role in subverting host immunity, our findings suggest that CyaA can promote IL-1beta-mediated Th17 cells, which promote clearance of the bacteria from the respiratory tract...
- Chung D, Kasper D, Panzo R, Chitnis T, Grusby M, Sayegh M, et al. CD4+ T cells mediate abscess formation in intra-abdominal sepsis by an IL-17-dependent mechanism. J Immunol. 2003;170:1958-63 pubmed..These data delineate the specific T cell response necessary for the development of intra-abdominal abscesses and underscore the role of IL-17 in this disease process. ..
- Doodes P, Cao Y, Hamel K, Wang Y, Rodeghero R, Mikecz K, et al. IFN-gamma regulates the requirement for IL-17 in proteoglycan-induced arthritis. J Immunol. 2010;184:1552-9 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that both IFN-gamma and IL-17 have the potential to induce PGIA, but it is the strength of the IFN-gamma response that regulates the contribution of each of these Th effector cytokines to disease. ..
- Du C, Liu C, Kang J, Zhao G, Ye Z, Huang S, et al. MicroRNA miR-326 regulates TH-17 differentiation and is associated with the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis. Nat Immunol. 2009;10:1252-9 pubmed publisher..Our data show a critical role for microRNA in T(H)-17 differentiation and the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis. ..
- Haas J, González F, Schmitz S, Chennupati V, Föhse L, Kremmer E, et al. CCR6 and NK1.1 distinguish between IL-17A and IFN-gamma-producing gammadelta effector T cells. Eur J Immunol. 2009;39:3488-97 pubmed publisher..1+ counterparts. In conclusion, our findings support the hypothesis that CCR6+ IL-17A-producing gammadelta T cells derive from less TCR-dependent selection events than IFN-gamma-producing NK1.1+ gammadelta T cells. ..
- Zhang Z, Zhong W, Spencer D, Chen H, Lu H, Kawaguchi T, et al. Interleukin-17 causes neutrophil mediated inflammation in ovalbumin-induced uveitis in DO11.10 mice. Cytokine. 2009;46:79-91 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that IL-17 is implicated in the pathogenesis of this T cell-mediated model of uveitis in part through neutrophil chemotaxis as a downstream effect of IL-17. ..
- Wakita D, Sumida K, Iwakura Y, Nishikawa H, Ohkuri T, Chamoto K, et al. Tumor-infiltrating IL-17-producing gammadelta T cells support the progression of tumor by promoting angiogenesis. Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:1927-37 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings support the novel concept that IL-17-producing gammadelta T cells, generated in response to tumor microenvironment, act as tumor-promoting cells by inducing angiogenesis. ..
- Feng T, Qin H, Wang L, Benveniste E, Elson C, Cong Y. Th17 cells induce colitis and promote Th1 cell responses through IL-17 induction of innate IL-12 and IL-23 production. J Immunol. 2011;186:6313-8 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data indicate that Th17 cells convert to Th1 cells through IL-17 induction of mucosal innate IL-12 and IL-23 production. ..
- Baldeviano G, Barin J, Talor M, Srinivasan S, Bedja D, Zheng D, et al. Interleukin-17A is dispensable for myocarditis but essential for the progression to dilated cardiomyopathy. Circ Res. 2010;106:1646-55 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a critical role for IL-17A in postmyocarditis cardiac remodeling and the progression to DCM. Targeting IL-17A may be an attractive therapy for patients with inflammatory dilated cardiomyopathy. ..
- Sergejeva S, Ivanov S, Lotvall J, Linden A. Interleukin-17 as a recruitment and survival factor for airway macrophages in allergic airway inflammation. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2005;33:248-53 pubmed..Furthermore, IL-17 is involved in controlling the proteolytic activity of macrophages and neutrophils in allergen-induced airway inflammation. ..
- Flierl M, Rittirsch D, Gao H, Hoesel L, Nadeau B, Day D, et al. Adverse functions of IL-17A in experimental sepsis. FASEB J. 2008;22:2198-205 pubmed publisher..IL-17A may be a potential therapeutic target in sepsis. ..
- Nurieva R, Chung Y, Hwang D, Yang X, Kang H, Ma L, et al. Generation of T follicular helper cells is mediated by interleukin-21 but independent of T helper 1, 2, or 17 cell lineages. Immunity. 2008;29:138-49 pubmed publisher..This study thus demonstrates that Tfh is a distinct Th cell lineage. ..
- Smith E, Stark M, Zarbock A, Burcin T, Bruce A, Vaswani D, et al. IL-17A inhibits the expansion of IL-17A-producing T cells in mice through "short-loop" inhibition via IL-17 receptor. J Immunol. 2008;181:1357-64 pubmed..We conclude that IL-17A regulates blood neutrophil counts by inducing G-CSF production mainly in nonhemopoietic cells. IL-17A controls the expansion of IL-17A-producing Tn cell populations through IL-17R. ..
- Huber S, Gagliani N, Esplugues E, O Connor W, Huber F, Chaudhry A, et al. Th17 cells express interleukin-10 receptor and are controlled by Foxp3? and Foxp3+ regulatory CD4+ T cells in an interleukin-10-dependent manner. Immunity. 2011;34:554-65 pubmed publisher..Lastly, IL-10 treatment of mice with established colitis decreased Th17 and Th17+Th1 cell frequencies via direct signaling in T cells. Thus, IL-10 signaling directly suppresses Th17 and Th17+Th1 cells. ..
- He D, Wu L, Kim H, Li H, Elmets C, Xu H. CD8+ IL-17-producing T cells are important in effector functions for the elicitation of contact hypersensitivity responses. J Immunol. 2006;177:6852-8 pubmed..This indicates that CD8+ IL-17-producing cells are distinct from Tc1 cells and are important in effector functions at the elicitation of CHS. These studies provide insights into a novel mechanism for CHS. ..
- Niess J, Leithäuser F, Adler G, Reimann J. Commensal gut flora drives the expansion of proinflammatory CD4 T cells in the colonic lamina propria under normal and inflammatory conditions. J Immunol. 2008;180:559-68 pubmed..Commensal bacteria-driven, local expansion of cLP CD4 Th17 cells may contribute to the pathogenesis of this inflammatory bowel disease. ..
- Yen D, Cheung J, Scheerens H, Poulet F, McClanahan T, McKenzie B, et al. IL-23 is essential for T cell-mediated colitis and promotes inflammation via IL-17 and IL-6. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:1310-6 pubmed..This pathway may be responsible for chronic intestinal inflammation as well as other chronic autoimmune inflammatory diseases. ..
- Tang H, Pang S, Wang M, Xiao X, Rong Y, Wang H, et al. TLR4 activation is required for IL-17-induced multiple tissue inflammation and wasting in mice. J Immunol. 2010;185:2563-9 pubmed publisher..The study indicates a novel interaction between IL-17 and TLR4 activation and may have implications in the pathogenesis and treatment of chronic diseases. ..
- Huang W, Na L, Fidel P, Schwarzenberger P. Requirement of interleukin-17A for systemic anti-Candida albicans host defense in mice. J Infect Dis. 2004;190:624-31 pubmed..IL-17A could have potential as a therapeutic cytokine for systemic C. albicans infections in immunocompromised patients with cancer or advanced acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. ..
- Chang S, Dong C. A novel heterodimeric cytokine consisting of IL-17 and IL-17F regulates inflammatory responses. Cell Res. 2007;17:435-40 pubmed..Thus, IL-17A/F cytokine represents another mechanism whereby T cells regulate inflammatory responses and may serve as a novel target for treating various immune-mediated diseases. ..
- Rachitskaya A, Hansen A, Horai R, Li Z, Villasmil R, Luger D, et al. Cutting edge: NKT cells constitutively express IL-23 receptor and RORgammat and rapidly produce IL-17 upon receptor ligation in an IL-6-independent fashion. J Immunol. 2008;180:5167-71 pubmed..These data suggest an important biological role for innate IL-17 production by NKT cells that is rapid and precedes the adaptive IL-17 response. ..
- Doodes P, Cao Y, Hamel K, Wang Y, Farkas B, Iwakura Y, et al. Development of proteoglycan-induced arthritis is independent of IL-17. J Immunol. 2008;181:329-37 pubmed..These data demonstrate that IL-17 is not absolutely required for autoimmune arthritis and that the production of other proinflammatory mediators is sufficient to compensate for the loss of IL-17 in PGIA. ..
- Numasaki M, Fukushi J, Ono M, Narula S, Zavodny P, Kudo T, et al. Interleukin-17 promotes angiogenesis and tumor growth. Blood. 2003;101:2620-7 pubmed..Furthermore, they suggest that inhibition of biologic action of IL-17 may have therapeutic benefits when applied to angiogenesis-related disorders. ..
- Werner J, Gessner M, Lilly L, Nelson M, Metz A, Horn D, et al. Neutrophils produce interleukin 17A (IL-17A) in a dectin-1- and IL-23-dependent manner during invasive fungal infection. Infect Immun. 2011;79:3966-77 pubmed publisherWe have previously reported that compromised interleukin 17A (IL-17A) production in the lungs increased susceptibility to infection with the invasive fungal pathogen Aspergillus fumigatus...
- Zuniga L, Shen W, Joyce Shaikh B, Pyatnova E, Richards A, Thom C, et al. IL-17 regulates adipogenesis, glucose homeostasis, and obesity. J Immunol. 2010;185:6947-59 pubmed publisher..Our findings implicate IL-17 as a negative regulator of adipogenesis and glucose metabolism in mice, and show that it delays the development of obesity. ..
- LeibundGut Landmann S, Gross O, Robinson M, Osorio F, Slack E, Tsoni S, et al. Syk- and CARD9-dependent coupling of innate immunity to the induction of T helper cells that produce interleukin 17. Nat Immunol. 2007;8:630-8 pubmed..Our data indicate that signaling through Syk and CARD9 can couple innate to adaptive immunity independently of Toll-like receptor signals and that CARD9 is required for the development of T(H)-17 responses to some pathogens. ..
- Ito R, Kita M, Shin Ya M, Kishida T, Urano A, Takada R, et al. Involvement of IL-17A in the pathogenesis of DSS-induced colitis in mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;377:12-6 pubmed publisher..The present results show that IL-17A plays a pivotal role in the pathogenesis of DSS-induced colitis, while MCP-1 and G-CSF may be crucially involved in the IL-17A-induced inflammation. ..
- Cruz A, Khader S, Torrado E, Fraga A, Pearl J, Pedrosa J, et al. Cutting edge: IFN-gamma regulates the induction and expansion of IL-17-producing CD4 T cells during mycobacterial infection. J Immunol. 2006;177:1416-20 pubmed..This counterregulation pathway may be an important factor in limiting mycobacterially associated immune-mediated pathology. ..
- Goswami J, Hernández Santos N, Zuniga L, Gaffen S. A bone-protective role for IL-17 receptor signaling in ovariectomy-induced bone loss. Eur J Immunol. 2009;39:2831-9 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, these data show that IL-17A negatively regulates adipogenesis and subsequent leptin expression, which correlates with increased bone destruction during OVX. ..
- Pietrowski E, Bender B, Huppert J, White R, Luhmann H, Kuhlmann C. Pro-inflammatory effects of interleukin-17A on vascular smooth muscle cells involve NAD(P)H- oxidase derived reactive oxygen species. J Vasc Res. 2011;48:52-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that IL-17A causes the NAD(P)H-oxidase dependent generation of ROS leading to a pro-inflammatory activation of VSMC. ..
- Wei L, Laurence A, Elias K, O Shea J. IL-21 is produced by Th17 cells and drives IL-17 production in a STAT3-dependent manner. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:34605-10 pubmed..These data argue that IL-21 serves as an autocrine factor secreted by Th17 cells that promotes or sustains Th17 lineage commitment. ..
- Rutitzky L, Lopes da Rosa J, Stadecker M. Severe CD4 T cell-mediated immunopathology in murine schistosomiasis is dependent on IL-12p40 and correlates with high levels of IL-17. J Immunol. 2005;175:3920-6 pubmed..Our findings indicate that an IL-17-producing T cell population, likely driven by IL-23, significantly contributes to severe immunopathology in schistosomiasis. ..
- Nakae S, Nambu A, Sudo K, Iwakura Y. Suppression of immune induction of collagen-induced arthritis in IL-17-deficient mice. J Immunol. 2003;171:6173-7 pubmed..Thus, these observations suggest that IL-17 plays a crucial role in the development of CIA by activating autoantigen-specific cellular and humoral immune responses. ..
- Irmler I, Gajda M, Bräuer R. Exacerbation of antigen-induced arthritis in IFN-gamma-deficient mice as a result of unrestricted IL-17 response. J Immunol. 2007;179:6228-36 pubmed..These results clearly demonstrate that IFN-gamma has anti-inflammatory properties during the initial phase of AIA, and indicate that IFN-gamma deficiency exerts disease-promoting effects, preferentially via IL-17-modulated pathways. ..
- Nakae S, Komiyama Y, Nambu A, Sudo K, Iwase M, Homma I, et al. Antigen-specific T cell sensitization is impaired in IL-17-deficient mice, causing suppression of allergic cellular and humoral responses. Immunity. 2002;17:375-87 pubmed..Our findings indicate that IL-17 plays an important role in activating T cells in allergen-specific T cell-mediated immune responses. ..
- Cho J, Pietras E, Garcia N, Ramos R, Farzam D, Monroe H, et al. IL-17 is essential for host defense against cutaneous Staphylococcus aureus infection in mice. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:1762-73 pubmed publisher..Our study defines what we believe to be a novel role for IL-17-producing epidermal gammadelta T cells in innate immunity against S. aureus cutaneous infection. ..
- Yoshiga Y, Goto D, Segawa S, Ohnishi Y, Matsumoto I, Ito S, et al. Invariant NKT cells produce IL-17 through IL-23-dependent and -independent pathways with potential modulation of Th17 response in collagen-induced arthritis. Int J Mol Med. 2008;22:369-74 pubmed..Our findings indicate that iNKT cells are producers and activators of IL-17 via IL-23- dependent and -independent pathways, suggesting that they are key cells in the pathogenesis of CIA through IL-17. ..
- Yang X, Chang S, Park H, Nurieva R, Shah B, Acero L, et al. Regulation of inflammatory responses by IL-17F. J Exp Med. 2008;205:1063-75 pubmed publisher..Our results thus demonstrate that IL-17F is an important regulator of inflammatory responses that seems to function differently than IL-17 in immune responses and diseases. ..
- Dejima T, Shibata K, Yamada H, Hara H, Iwakura Y, Naito S, et al. Protective role of naturally occurring interleukin-17A-producing ?? T cells in the lung at the early stage of systemic candidiasis in mice. Infect Immun. 2011;79:4503-10 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study demonstrated a novel role of naturally occurring IL-17A-producing ?? T cells in the first line of host defense against C. albicans infection...
- Hou W, Kang H, Kim B. Th17 cells enhance viral persistence and inhibit T cell cytotoxicity in a model of chronic virus infection. J Exp Med. 2009;206:313-28 pubmed publisher..Thus, these results indicate a novel pathogenic role of Th17 cells via IL-17 in persistent viral infection and its associated chronic inflammatory diseases...
- Pickens S, Volin M, Mandelin A, Kolls J, Pope R, Shahrara S. IL-17 contributes to angiogenesis in rheumatoid arthritis. J Immunol. 2010;184:3233-41 pubmed publisher..These observations identify a novel function for IL-17 as an angiogenic mediator in RA, supporting IL-17 as a therapeutic target in RA. ..
- Xiao M, Wang C, Zhang J, Li Z, Zhao X, Qin Z. IFNgamma promotes papilloma development by up-regulating Th17-associated inflammation. Cancer Res. 2009;69:2010-7 pubmed publisher..These results show that IFNgamma, under certain conditions, may promote tumor development by enhancing a Th17-associated inflammatory reaction. ..
- Shichita T, Sugiyama Y, Ooboshi H, Sugimori H, Nakagawa R, Takada I, et al. Pivotal role of cerebral interleukin-17-producing gammadeltaT cells in the delayed phase of ischemic brain injury. Nat Med. 2009;15:946-50 pubmed publisher..We propose that T lymphocytes, including gammadeltaT lymphocytes, could be a therapeutic target for mitigating the inflammatory events that amplify the initial damage in cerebral ischemia. ..
- Ferretti S, Bonneau O, Dubois G, Jones C, Trifilieff A. IL-17, produced by lymphocytes and neutrophils, is necessary for lipopolysaccharide-induced airway neutrophilia: IL-15 as a possible trigger. J Immunol. 2003;170:2106-12 pubmed..In addition, our results suggest that IL-15 could represent a physiological trigger that leads to IL-17 production following bacterial infection. ..
- Schulz S, Kohler G, Schütze N, Knauer J, Straubinger R, Chackerian A, et al. Protective immunity to systemic infection with attenuated Salmonella enterica serovar enteritidis in the absence of IL-12 is associated with IL-23-dependent IL-22, but not IL-17. J Immunol. 2008;181:7891-901 pubmed..In conclusion, IL-23-dependent IL-22, but not IL-17 production is associated with protection against systemic infection with S. Enteritidis in the absence of IL-12. ..
- Das J, Ren G, Zhang L, Roberts A, Zhao X, Bothwell A, et al. Transforming growth factor beta is dispensable for the molecular orchestration of Th17 cell differentiation. J Exp Med. 2009;206:2407-16 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data provide evidence that TGF-beta is not directly required for the molecular orchestration of Th17 cell differentiation. ..
- Sarkar S, Cooney L, White P, Dunlop D, Endres J, Jorns J, et al. Regulation of pathogenic IL-17 responses in collagen-induced arthritis: roles of endogenous interferon-gamma and IL-4. Arthritis Res Ther. 2009;11:R158 pubmed publisher..The goals of this study were to determine the relationship between Th17 responses and disease severity in CIA and to assess regulation of IL-17 by endogenous IFN-gamma and IL-4...
- Zhang J, Huang Z, Sun R, Tian Z, Wei H. IFN-? induced by IL-12 administration prevents diabetes by inhibiting pathogenic IL-17 production in NOD mice. J Autoimmun. 2012;38:20-8 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a promising strategy for the treatment of human T1D and other Th17 cell-mediated autoimmune diseases. ..