Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Igfbp5
Description: insulin-like growth factor binding protein 5
Alias: AI256729, AW208790, IGFBP-5, IGFBP-5P, insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 5, IBP-5, IGF-binding protein 5
- Cobb L, Salih D, Gonzalez I, Tripathi G, Carter E, Lovett F, et al. Partitioning of IGFBP-5 actions in myogenesis: IGF-independent anti-apoptotic function. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:1737-46 pubmedb>Igfbp5 is upregulated during the differentiation of several key cell lineages and in some tumours; the function of IGFBP-5 in these physiological and pathological situations is unknown...
- Tripathi G, Salih D, Drozd A, Cosgrove R, Cobb L, Pell J. IGF-independent effects of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-5 (Igfbp5) in vivo. FASEB J. 2009;23:2616-26 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we aimed to compare the phenotypes of mice overexpressing wild-type Igfbp5 or an N-terminal mutant Igfbp5 with negligible IGF binding affinity...
- James P, Jones S, Busby W, Clemmons D, Rotwein P. A highly conserved insulin-like growth factor-binding protein (IGFBP-5) is expressed during myoblast differentiation. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:22305-12 pubmed..Identification of an IGF-binding protein that is produced during myoblast differentiation provides a model system in which to study the potential modulatory role of IGFBPs in development. ..
- Salih D, Mohan S, Kasukawa Y, Tripathi G, Lovett F, Anderson N, et al. Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-5 induces a gender-related decrease in bone mineral density in transgenic mice. Endocrinology. 2005;146:931-40 pubmed..IGFBP-5 promotes the acquisition of bone mineral density (BMD), we generated transgenic (Tg) mice overexpressing Igfbp5 using a cytomegalovirus enhancer and beta-actin promoter (CMV/betaA)...
- Wood T, Rogler L, Czick M, Schuller A, Pintar J. Selective alterations in organ sizes in mice with a targeted disruption of the insulin-like growth factor binding protein-2 gene. Mol Endocrinol. 2000;14:1472-82 pubmed..These results demonstrate that up-regulation of multiple IGFBPs accompanies the absence of IGFBP-2 and that IGFBP-2 has a critical role, either directly or indirectly, in modulating spleen and liver size. ..
- Müller M, Persson A, Krueger K, Kirschner K, Scholz H. The Wilms tumor protein WT1 stimulates transcription of the gene encoding insulin-like growth factor binding protein 5 (IGFBP5). Gene. 2017;619:21-29 pubmed publisher..b>IGFBP5 is the most conserved family member in vertebrates and the major IGF binding protein in bone...
- Galvan A, Colombo F, Noci S, Pazzaglia S, Mancuso M, Manenti G, et al. The Lsktm1 locus modulates lung and skin tumorigenesis in the mouse. G3 (Bethesda). 2012;2:1041-6 pubmed publisher..93) and lung (LOD score = 8.74) tumorigenesis. Two genes, Igfbp5 and Igfbp2, residing in this locus and belonging to the insulin-like growth factor binding protein family were ..
- Prall O, Menon M, Solloway M, Watanabe Y, Zaffran S, Bajolle F, et al. An Nkx2-5/Bmp2/Smad1 negative feedback loop controls heart progenitor specification and proliferation. Cell. 2007;128:947-59 pubmed
- Beattie J, Kreiner M, Allan G, Flint D, Domingues D, van der Walle C. IGFBP-3 and IGFBP-5 associate with the cell binding domain (CBD) of fibronectin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;381:572-6 pubmed publisher..Using site-directed mutagenesis of (9-10)FNIII, we show both the "synergy" and RGD sites within these FN domains are required for maximum binding of both IGFBPs. We discuss the possible biological consequences of our results. ..
- Adashi E, Resnick C, Payne D, Rosenfeld R, Matsumoto T, Hunter M, et al. The mouse intraovarian insulin-like growth factor I system: departures from the rat paradigm. Endocrinology. 1997;138:3881-90 pubmed..Studies employing the mouse model must take into account these important distinctions relative to the more established rat paradigm. ..
- Mohan S, Baylink D, Pettis J. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-binding proteins in serum--do they have additional roles besides modulating the endocrine IGF actions?. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996;81:3817-20 pubmed
- Shen J, Liu J, Xie Y, Diwan B, Waalkes M. Fetal onset of aberrant gene expression relevant to pulmonary carcinogenesis in lung adenocarcinoma development induced by in utero arsenic exposure. Toxicol Sci. 2007;95:313-20 pubmed..These data provide evidence that arsenic-induced aberrant ER signaling could disrupt early life stage genetic programing in the lung leading eventually to lung tumor formation much later in adulthood. ..
- Schneider M, Lahm H, Wu M, Hoeflich A, Wolf E. Transgenic mouse models for studying the functions of insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins. FASEB J. 2000;14:629-40 pubmed..This review summarizes the current knowledge about the actions of IGFBPs in vivo based on the presently established transgenic mice. ..
- Cederquist G, Azim E, Shnider S, Padmanabhan H, Macklis J. Lmo4 establishes rostral motor cortex projection neuron subtype diversity. J Neurosci. 2013;33:6321-32 pubmed publisher..Together, these results identify Lmo4 as a central developmental control over the diversity of motor cortex projection neuron subpopulations, establishing their area-specific identity and specialized connectivity. ..
- Shand J, Beattie J, Song H, Phillips K, Kelly S, Flint D, et al. Specific amino acid substitutions determine the differential contribution of the N- and C-terminal domains of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-binding protein-5 in binding IGF-I. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:17859-66 pubmed..Finally, although these residues lie within a major heparin-binding site in IGFBP-5 and -3, we also show that the mutations in C-Term have no effect on heparin binding. ..
- Mohan S, Masinde G, Li X, Baylink D. Mapping quantitative trait loci that influence serum insulin-like growth factor binding protein-5 levels in F2 mice (MRL/MpJ X SJL/J). Endocrinology. 2003;144:3491-6 pubmed
- van Kleffens M, Groffen C, Dits N, Lindenbergh Kortleve D, Schuller A, Bradshaw S, et al. Generation of antisera to mouse insulin-like growth factor binding proteins (IGFBP)-1 to -6: comparison of IGFBP protein and messenger ribonucleic acid localization in the mouse embryo. Endocrinology. 1999;140:5944-52 pubmed..The overlapping mRNA and protein localization for IGFBP-2 and -4, on the other hand, may indicate that these IGFBPs also function in an auto- or paracrine manner. ..
- Caton J, Bringas P, Zeichner David M. IGFs increase enamel formation by inducing expression of enamel mineralizing specific genes. Arch Oral Biol. 2005;50:123-9 pubmed..These results suggest that IGFs increase enamel formation by the induction of gene expression of enamel related genes. Studies are underway to determine a possible mechanism for these factors. ..
- Tonner E, Barber M, Allan G, Beattie J, Webster J, Whitelaw C, et al. Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-5 (IGFBP-5) induces premature cell death in the mammary glands of transgenic mice. Development. 2002;129:4547-57 pubmed..It clearly demonstrates that IGF-I is an important developmental/survival factor for the mammary gland and, furthermore, this cell death programme may be utilised in a wide variety of tissues. ..
- Schuller A, Groffen C, van Neck J, Zwarthoff E, Drop S. cDNA cloning and mRNA expression of the six mouse insulin-like growth factor binding proteins. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1994;104:57-66 pubmed..Finally, tissue-specific expression of the six mouse IGFBP genes was observed in adult tissues suggesting different roles or modes of actions in adult life. ..
- Schlake T. Krox20, a novel candidate for the regulatory hierarchy that controls hair shaft bending. Mech Dev. 2006;123:641-8 pubmed..Recently, Igfbp5 was identified as the first molecular marker that distinguishes among different hair follicle types and shown to ..
- Kou K, James P, Clemmons D, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, et al. Identification of two clusters of mouse insulin-like growth factor binding protein genes on chromosomes 1 and 11. Genomics. 1994;21:653-5 pubmed..These results suggest an evolutionary scheme in which a primordial IGFBP gene duplicated to form a cluster that was later replicated to create second linkage group. ..
- Cha S, Nagashima H, Brown V, Peck A, Humphreys Beher M. Two NOD Idd-associated intervals contribute synergistically to the development of autoimmune exocrinopathy (Sjögren's syndrome) on a healthy murine background. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;46:1390-8 pubmed..We propose that this murine model of SS-like disease be designated C57BL/6.NOD-Aec1Aec2. Identification of specific genes within the Aec1 and Aec2 genetic regions should help elucidate the mechanism(s) underlying SS-like disease. ..
- Kou K, Jenkins N, Gilbert D, Copeland N, Rotwein P. Organization, expression, and chromosomal location of the mouse insulin-like growth factor binding protein 5 gene. Genomics. 1994;20:412-8 pubmed..Characterization of the mouse IGFBP-5 gene now provides a starting point for studying the roles and regulation of this protein in development. ..
- Sokolovic A, Montenegro Miranda P, de Waart D, Cappai R, Duijst S, Sokolovic M, et al. Overexpression of insulin like growth factor binding protein 5 reduces liver fibrosis in chronic cholangiopathy. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1822:996-1003 pubmed publisher..Expression of insulin like growth factor binding protein 5 (Igfbp5) increases in time in the livers of these mice...
- Schuller A, van Neck J, Beukenholdt R, Zwarthoff E, Drop S. IGF, type I IGF receptor and IGF-binding protein mRNA expression in the developing mouse lung. J Mol Endocrinol. 1995;14:349-55 pubmed..A possible role for IGFBPs-2, -4 and -5 is to participate in the regulation of cell-specific IGF responses during mouse lung development. ..
- Govoni K, Amaar Y, Kramer A, Winter E, Baylink D, Mohan S. Regulation of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-5, four and a half lim-2, and a disintegrin and metalloprotease-9 expression in osteoblasts. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2006;16:49-56 pubmed..05). In conclusion, our findings are consistent with the hypothesis that FHL-2 and ADAM-9 are important modulators of IGFBP-5 actions and are, in part, regulated in a coordinated manner in bone. ..
- Xu X, Lee T, Offor N, Cheng C, Liu A, Fang Y, et al. Tumor-associated retinal astrocytes promote retinoblastoma cell proliferation through production of IGFBP-5. Am J Pathol. 2010;177:424-35 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that a tissue-specific microenvironmental feature cooperates with oncogenic mutations in a cancer cell of origin to promote retinoblastoma tumorigenesis. ..
- Soriano Arroquia A, McCormick R, Molloy A, McArdle A, Goljanek Whysall K. Age-related changes in miR-143-3p:Igfbp5 interactions affect muscle regeneration. Aging Cell. 2016;15:361-9 pubmed publisher..and an in vitro regeneration model, to show that disrupted expression of microRNA-143-3p and its target gene, Igfbp5, plays an important role in muscle regeneration in vitro...
- Bobola N, Engist B. IGFBP5 is a potential regulator of craniofacial skeletogenesis. Genesis. 2008;46:52-9 pubmed publisherSix known proteins bind to the insulin-like growth factor (IGF) with high affinity. Igfbp5 encodes one of these proteins, which regulates the activity of IGF, but also exerts IGF-independent actions...
- van Kleffens M, Groffen C, Rosato R, van den Eijnde S, van Neck J, Lindenbergh Kortleve D, et al. mRNA expression patterns of the IGF system during mouse limb bud development, determined by whole mount in situ hybridization. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1998;138:151-61 pubmed..This supports the hypothesis that the IGF system may be involved in chondrogenic differentiation of mesenchyme and the regulation of apoptosis in the developing limb. ..
- Okano J, Levy C, Lichti U, Sun H, Yuspa S, Sakai Y, et al. Cutaneous retinoic acid levels determine hair follicle development and downgrowth. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:39304-15 pubmed publisher..Our results establish that proper RA distribution is essential for morphogenesis, development, and differentiation of hfs...
- Ahn B, Elwi A, Lee B, Trinh D, Klimowicz A, Yau A, et al. Genetic screen identifies insulin-like growth factor binding protein 5 as a modulator of tamoxifen resistance in breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2010;70:3013-9 pubmed publisher..genes responsible for tamoxifen resistance in vitro, we identified insulin-like growth factor binding protein 5 (IGFBP5) as a determinant of drug sensitivity...
- Ho L, van Dijk M, Chye S, Messerschmidt D, Chng S, Ong S, et al. ELABELA deficiency promotes preeclampsia and cardiovascular malformations in mice. Science. 2017;357:707-713 pubmed publisher..The ELA-APLNR signaling axis may offer a new paradigm for the treatment of common pregnancy-related complications, including PE. ..
- Phillips K, Park M, Quarrie L, Boutinaud M, Lochrie J, Flint D, et al. Hormonal control of IGF-binding protein (IGFBP)-5 and IGFBP-2 secretion during differentiation of the HC11 mouse mammary epithelial cell line. J Mol Endocrinol. 2003;31:197-208 pubmed
- White M, Diao R, Hathaway M, Mickelson J, Dayton W. Molecular cloning and sequence analysis of the porcine insulin-like growth factor binding protein-5 complementary deoxyribonucleic acid. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;218:248-53 pubmed..Northern blot analysis of total RNA isolated from porcine heart, muscle and spleen using a 315 base pair cDNA insert derived from the pIGFBP-5 open reading frame sequence revealed a single mRNA transcript of 6.0 kilobases. ..
- Shibata S, Fukuoka H, Sato R, Abe T, Suzuki Y. An in situ hybridization study of the insulin-like growth factor system in developing condylar cartilage of the fetal mouse mandible. Eur J Histochem. 2012;56:e23 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the IGF system is involved in the formation of the condylar cartilage as well as in the TMJ. ..
- Miyaki S, Sato T, Inoue A, Otsuki S, Ito Y, Yokoyama S, et al. MicroRNA-140 plays dual roles in both cartilage development and homeostasis. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1173-85 pubmed publisher..We show that miR-140 regulates cartilage development and homeostasis, and its loss contributes to the development of age-related OA-like changes. ..
- Liu H, He Z, Tang Y, Mele C, Veeck L, Davis O, et al. Simultaneous detection of multiple gene expression in mouse and human individual preimplantation embryos. Fertil Steril. 1997;67:733-41 pubmed..This is the first report of the assessment of IGF family transcripts in individual embryos, and introduces a novel method for research and clinical diagnosis of preimplantation embryos. ..
- Schultz G, Hahnel A, Arcellana Panlilio M, Wang L, Goubau S, Watson A, et al. Expression of IGF ligand and receptor genes during preimplantation mammalian development. Mol Reprod Dev. 1993;35:414-20 pubmed..These findings suggest that the interactions of IGF ligands and receptors in preimplantation development might, indeed, be modulated by IGFPs.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Mukherjee A, Rotwein P. Akt promotes BMP2-mediated osteoblast differentiation and bone development. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:716-26 pubmed publisher..or a dominant-negative Akt were as potent in preventing osteoblast differentiation as the IGF binding protein IGFBP5, whereas a Mek inhibitor was ineffective...
- Murphy L, Barron D. The IGFs and their binding proteins in murine development. Mol Reprod Dev. 1993;35:376-81 pubmed..We have started to develop transgenic mice lines overexpressing IGFBPs to attempt to address the role of these binding proteins in fetal development. ..
- Sorrell A, Shand J, Tonner E, Gamberoni M, Accorsi P, Beattie J, et al. Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-5 activates plasminogen by interaction with tissue plasminogen activator, independently of its ability to bind to plasminogen activator inhibitor-1, insulin-like growth factor-I, or heparin. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:10883-9 pubmed..Thus IGFBP-5 can induce cell death by both sequestering IGF-I and enhancing plasmin generation. ..
- Lee W, Wang G, Lo T, Triarhou L, Ghetti B. Altered IGFBP5 gene expression in the cerebellar external germinal layer of weaver mutant mice. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1995;30:259-68 pubmed..IGF-I, type I IGF receptor (IGFR-I), IGFBP2 and IGFBP5 mRNA are localized in distinct cell populations, and all are expressed at the highest levels at the peak of ..
- Kajihara M, Sone H, Amemiya M, Katoh Y, Isogai M, Shimano H, et al. Mouse MafA, homologue of zebrafish somite Maf 1, contributes to the specific transcriptional activity through the insulin promoter. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;312:831-42 pubmed..These results indicate that MafA is the homologue of zebrafish SMaf1 and acts as a transcriptional activator of the insulin gene promoter through the RIPE3b element. ..
- Nimura K, Ura K, Shiratori H, Ikawa M, Okabe M, Schwartz R, et al. A histone H3 lysine 36 trimethyltransferase links Nkx2-5 to Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome. Nature. 2009;460:287-91 pubmed publisher..We propose that WHSC1 functions together with developmental transcription factors to prevent the inappropriate transcription that can lead to various pathophysiologies. ..
- Barber M, Arai Y, Morishita Y, Vigier L, Causeret F, Borello U, et al. Migration Speed of Cajal-Retzius Cells Modulated by Vesicular Trafficking Controls the Size of Higher-Order Cortical Areas. Curr Biol. 2015;25:2466-78 pubmed publisher..Our findings thus identify novel roles for neuronal migration and VAMP3-dependent vesicular trafficking in cortical wiring. ..
- Ding M, Bruick R, Yu Y. Secreted IGFBP5 mediates mTORC1-dependent feedback inhibition of IGF-1 signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2016;18:319-27 pubmed publisher..characterized the rapamycin-sensitive secretome in TSC2(-/-) mouse embryonic fibroblasts, and identified IGFBP5 as a secreted, mTORC1 downstream effector protein...
- McCusker R, Novakofski J. Zinc partitions insulin-like growth factors (IGFs) from soluble IGF binding protein (IGFBP)-5 to the cell surface receptors of BC3H-1 muscle cells. J Cell Physiol. 2003;197:388-99 pubmed..Zn(2+) was active at physiological doses depressing IGF binding to IGFBP-5 and the IGF-2R at 15-20 microM. Hence, a novel mechanism is further characterized by which the trace micronutrient Zn(2+) could regulate IGF activity. ..
- Fujita K, Taya Y, Shimazu Y, Aoba T, Soeno Y. Molecular signaling at the fusion stage of the mouse mandibular arch: involvement of insulin-like growth factor family. Int J Dev Biol. 2013;57:399-406 pubmed publisher..in the mesenchyme, Igf2 and Igf1r were expressed in both the midline epithelium and surrounding mesenchyme, and Igfbp5 was highly expressed in the epithelium...
- Butt A, Dickson K, McDougall F, Baxter R. Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-5 inhibits the growth of human breast cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:29676-85 pubmed..These data suggest that IGFBP-5 is a potent growth inhibitor and proapoptotic agent in human breast cancer cells via modulation of cell cycle regulation and apoptotic mediators. ..
- Okano T, Kelley M. Expression of insulin-like growth factor binding proteins during mouse cochlear development. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:1210-21 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that IGFBPs may act to precisely regulate activation of IGF signaling in the developing cochlea in a cell type-specific manner, contributing to cellular patterning and differentiation in the cochlea. ..
- Gleason C, Ning Y, Cominski T, Gupta R, Kaestner K, Pintar J, et al. Role of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 5 (IGFBP5) in organismal and pancreatic beta-cell growth. Mol Endocrinol. 2010;24:178-92 pubmed publisher..Although IGFBP5 is identified as a gene induced by Akt1 activation in the beta-cell, Igfbp5 expression is not necessary for ..
- Simon C, Rauskolb S, Gunnersen J, Holtmann B, Drepper C, Dombert B, et al. Dysregulated IGFBP5 expression causes axon degeneration and motoneuron loss in diabetic neuropathy. Acta Neuropathol. 2015;130:373-87 pubmed publisher..The underlying cellular mechanisms of axon degeneration are poorly understood. IGFBP5, an inhibitory binding protein for insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1) is highly up-regulated in nerve biopsies of ..
- Arnold P, Ma J, Citron B, Zoubine M, Festoff B. Selective developmental regulation of gene expression for insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins in mouse spinal cord. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2000;25:1765-70 pubmed..Both IGFBP-2 and BP-5 are developmentally regulated in mouse spinal cord, with higher levels of those at early embryonic stages indicating their potential role in development of the mouse spinal cord. ..
- Shin D, Anderson D. Isolation of arterial-specific genes by subtractive hybridization reveals molecular heterogeneity among arterial endothelial cells. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:1589-604 pubmed..Taken together, these data reveal unanticipated temporal and spatial heterogeneity among arterial endothelial cells of various tissues and organs, raising new questions regarding the functional significance of this diversity. ..
- Kou K, Mittanck D, Fu C, Rotwein P. Structure and function of the mouse insulin-like growth factor binding protein 5 gene promoter. DNA Cell Biol. 1995;14:241-9 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words) ..
- Kleffens M, Groffen C, Neck J, Vermeij Keers C, Drop S. mRNA and protein localization of the IGF system during mouse embryonic development in areas with apoptosis. Growth Horm IGF Res. 1999;9:195-204 pubmed..Tissue-specific modulation of IGF protective action against apoptosis by the different IGFBPs during mouse embryonal development may contribute to organ specific morphology. ..
- Garcia M, Ghiani M, Lefort A, Libert F, Strollo S, Vassart G. LGR5 deficiency deregulates Wnt signaling and leads to precocious Paneth cell differentiation in the fetal intestine. Dev Biol. 2009;331:58-67 pubmed publisher..Together, our data identify LGR5 as a negative regulator of the Wnt pathway in the developing intestine. ..
- Atti E, Boskey A, Canalis E. Overexpression of IGF-binding protein 5 alters mineral and matrix properties in mouse femora: an infrared imaging study. Calcif Tissue Int. 2005;76:187-93 pubmed
- Suzuki Y. Role of IGFBPs in the morphogenesis of lingual papillae. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol. 2005;286:841-7 pubmed..As previously suggested from a study on postnatal mice (Suzuki et al. J Comp Neurol 2005;482:74-84), IGFBP-4 acts in the epithelial invagination to form the trenches, grooves, or furrows of lingual papillae during development. ..
- Carter A, Nygard K, Mazzuca D, Han V. The expression of insulin-like growth factor and insulin-like growth factor binding protein mRNAs in mouse placenta. Placenta. 2006;27:278-90 pubmed..These findings suggest possible biological roles of the peptides at the feto-maternal interface. ..
- Wagner P, Christians J. Altered placental expression of PAPPA2 does not affect birth weight in mice. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2010;8:90 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that elevated PAPPA2 levels are a consequence, rather than a cause, of pregnancy complications. ..
- Abdallah B. Osteoblast differentiation of NIH3T3 fibroblasts is associated with changes in the IGF-I/IGFBP expression pattern. Cell Mol Biol Lett. 2006;11:461-74 pubmed..Modulation of the IGF/IGFBP levels by glucocorticoid might suggest important roles for the IGF-system in mediating the osteoblast differentiation of the NIH3T3 cell line. ..
- Schuller A, Zwarthoff E, Drop S. Gene expression of the six insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in the mouse conceptus during mid- and late gestation. Endocrinology. 1993;132:2544-50 pubmed..These data suggest that the different mIGFBPs might play distinct roles in mouse embryonal and fetal life. ..