Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Igf1
Description: insulin-like growth factor 1
Alias: C730016P09Rik, Igf-1, Igf-I, insulin-like growth factor I, somatomedin
Publications176 found, 100 shown here
- IGF-I is required for normal embryonic growth in miceL Powell-Braxton
Department of Endocrine Research, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080 4990
Genes Dev 7:2609-17. 1993..Histopathology is characterized by underdevelopment of muscle tissue. Lungs of late embryonic and neonates also appeared less organized with ill-defined alveolae. IGF-I appears to be essential for correct embryonic development in mice...
- Overexpression of IGF-1 in muscle attenuates disease in a mouse model of spinal and bulbar muscular atrophyIsabella Palazzolo
Neurogenetics Branch, NINDS, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuron 63:316-28. 2009..This study establishes IGF-1/Akt-mediated inactivation of mutant AR as a strategy to counteract disease in vivo and demonstrates that skeletal muscle is a viable target tissue for therapeutic intervention in SBMA...
- Mice carrying null mutations of the genes encoding insulin-like growth factor I (Igf-1) and type 1 IGF receptor (Igf1r)J P Liu
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032
Cell 75:59-72. 1993..The roles of the IGFs in mouse embryonic development, as revealed from the phenotypic differences between these mutants, are discussed...
- Roles of growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor 1 in mouse postnatal growthF Lupu
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Dev Biol 229:141-62. 2001To examine the relationship between growth hormone (GH) and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1) in controlling postnatal growth, we performed a comparative analysis of dwarfing phenotypes manifested in mouse mutants lacking GH receptor, ..
- The IGF-1/PI3K/Akt pathway prevents expression of muscle atrophy-induced ubiquitin ligases by inhibiting FOXO transcription factorsTrevor N Stitt
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 777 Old Saw Mill River Road, Tarrytown, NY 10591, USA
Mol Cell 14:395-403. 2004....
- Sequences of liver cDNAs encoding two different mouse insulin-like growth factor I precursorsG I Bell
Nucleic Acids Res 14:7873-82. 1986..A comparison of the sequences of mouse and human preproIGF-IB mRNA indicates that they are generated by different molecular mechanisms...
- Muscle-specific expression of insulin-like growth factor I counters muscle decline in mdx miceElisabeth R Barton
Department of Physiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Cell Biol 157:137-48. 2002..These results suggest that a combination of promoting muscle regenerative capacity and preventing muscle necrosis could be an effective treatment for the secondary symptoms caused by the primary loss of dystrophin...
- Insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) inversely regulates atrophy-induced genes via the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt/mammalian target of rapamycin (PI3K/Akt/mTOR) pathwayEsther Latres
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Tarrytown, New York 10591 6707, USA
J Biol Chem 280:2737-44. 2005..We had recently demonstrated that the IGF1/PI3K/Akt pathway can block dexamethasone-induced up-regulation of the atrophy-induced ubiquitin ligases MuRF1 and ..
- Full-length huntingtin levels modulate body weight by influencing insulin-like growth factor 1 expressionMahmoud A Pouladi
Department of Medical Genetics, Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, University of British Columbia, and Child and Family Research Institute, Vancouver, BC, Canada V5Z 4H4
Hum Mol Genet 19:1528-38. 2010..We demonstrate that the levels of FL htt influence IGF-1 expression in striatal tissues. Our data identify a novel function for FL htt in influencing IGF-1 expression...
- IGF-1 prevents ANG II-induced skeletal muscle atrophy via Akt- and Foxo-dependent inhibition of the ubiquitin ligase atrogin-1 expressionTadashi Yoshida
Heart and Vascular Institute, Tulane University School of Medicine, 1430 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 298:H1565-70. 2010..These data suggest strongly that atrogin-1 plays a critical role in mechanisms of ANG II-induced wasting in vivo...
- Nedd4 controls animal growth by regulating IGF-1 signalingXiao R Cao
Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Sci Signal 1:ra5. 2008..Thus, in vivo, Nedd4 appears to positively control IGF-1 and insulin signaling partly through the regulation of Grb10 function...
- Disruption of insulin-like growth factor-I expression in type IIalphaI collagen-expressing cells reduces bone length and width in miceKristen E Govoni
Jerry L Pettis Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California 92357, USA
Physiol Genomics 30:354-62. 2007..20). In conclusion, IGF-I from cells expressing procollagen type IIalphaI regulates bone accretion that occurs during postnatal growth period...
- In vivo actions of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) on brain myelination: studies of IGF-I and IGF binding protein-1 (IGFBP-1) transgenic miceP Ye
Department of Pediatrics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 27599 7220, USA
J Neurosci 15:7344-56. 1995....
- IRS-2 branch of IGF-1 receptor signaling is essential for appropriate timing of myelinationSusanna Freude
Department of Internal Medicine II, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Neurochem 107:907-17. 2008..Furthermore, in neuronal/brain-specific insulin receptor knockout mice myelination was unchanged. Thus, our experiments reveal that IGF-1R/IRS-2 mediated signals are critical for appropriate timing of myelination in vivo...
- Exercise modulates insulin-like growth factor 1-dependent and -independent effects on adult hippocampal neurogenesis and behaviourMaría Llorens-Martín
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Neurobiology, Institute Cajal, CSIC, Madrid, Spain
Mol Cell Neurosci 44:109-17. 2010..The short-term anxiolytic-like effect of exercise was IGF1-dependent and indeed, the recall of hippocampus-dependent spatial memory is impaired by blocking serum IGF1 (as ..
- Impaired adipogenesis in insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1 transgenic miceK Rajkumar
Departments of Internal Medicine and Physiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, R3E 0W3 Canada
J Endocrinol 162:457-65. 1999..These data indicate that IGF-I has a critical role in the proliferation of adipocyte precursors, the differentiation of preadipocytes and the development of obesity in response to calorie excess...
- The role of transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta, insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1, and interleukin (IL)-1 in osteoarthritis and aging of jointsI Blumenfeld
Maxillofacial Surgery Unit, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Exp Gerontol 34:821-9. 1999
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 and hair growthH Y Su
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, P O Box 670559, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Dermatol Online J 5:1. 1999..The anti-apoptotic role of IGF-1 in hair follicles is also reviewed. Prospects for future studies on hair and fiber growth by IGF-1 are discussed...
- Differential effects of des IGF-1 on Erks, AKT-1 and P70 S6K activation in mouse skeletal and cardiac muscleM Li
Metabolic Biochemistry Laboratory, School of Kinesiology, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Mol Cell Biochem 236:115-22. 2002..05). These data demonstrate that the administration of des IGF-I had differential effects on the activation of the MAP kinase and PI 3-kinase pathways in mouse skeletal and cardiac muscle...
- Insulin resistance in the liver-specific IGF-1 gene-deleted mouse is abrogated by deletion of the acid-labile subunit of the IGF-binding protein-3 complex: relative roles of growth hormone and IGF-1 in insulin resistanceMartin Haluzik
Diabetes Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1758, USA
Diabetes 52:2483-9. 2003..The present study suggests that whereas GH plays a major role in inducing insulin resistance, IGF-1 may have a direct modulatory role...
- The luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone inhibits the anti-apoptotic activity of insulin-like growth factor-1 in pituitary alphaT3 cells by protein kinase Calpha-mediated negative regulation of AktAnnabel Rose
Unite de Physiologie de la Reproduction et des Comportements, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 37380 Nouzilly, France
J Biol Chem 279:52500-16. 2004..Our results demonstrate for the first time that several interactions take place between IGF-1 and LHRH receptors in gonadotrope cells...
- Functional significance of type 1 insulin-like growth factor-mediated nuclear translocation of the insulin receptor substrate-1 and beta-cateninJia Chen
Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
J Biol Chem 280:29912-20. 2005..This possibility is supported by the demonstration that enforced nuclear localization of IRS-1 causes nuclear translocation of beta-catenin and transformation of normal mouse embryo fibroblasts (colony formation in soft agar)...
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 signaling regulates cytosolic sialidase Neu2 expression during myoblast differentiation and hypertrophyAlessandro Fanzani
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology, Unit of Biochemistry, University of Brescia, Italy
FEBS J 273:3709-21. 2006..Here we show that insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1)-induced hypertrophy of myoblasts notably increases Neu2 synthesis by activation of the phosphatidylinositol 3-..
- Liver-derived IGF-I regulates kidney size, sodium reabsorption, and renal IGF-II expressionJohan Svensson
Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Grona Straket 8, SE 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
J Endocrinol 193:359-66. 2007..However, the LI-IGF-I(-/-) mice did not develop kidney failure or nephrosclerosis. One may speculate that liver-derived endocrine IGF-I induces renal IGF-II expression, resulting in symmetrical renal growth...
- The direct binding of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) to integrin alphavbeta3 is involved in IGF-1 signalingJun Saegusa
Department of Dermatology, University of California Davis School of Medicine, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
J Biol Chem 284:24106-14. 2009....
- Pressure-mediated hypertrophy and mechanical stretch induces IL-1 release and subsequent IGF-1 generation to maintain compensative hypertrophy by affecting Akt and JNK pathwaysShoken Honsho
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto, 602 8566 Japan
Circ Res 105:1149-58. 2009..Thus, the role of IL-1 in the heart remains to be determined...
- Regulation of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 1 and 2 by IGF-1 in miceYadong Huang
Institutes of Life and Health Engineering, Jinan University, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510632, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 391:1752-6. 2010..11beta-HSD1 and 11beta-HSD2 activities fluctuated with the changes of their respective Hsd11b1 or Hsd11b2 mRNA levels. In conclusion, IGF-I tissue-specifically regulates Hsd11b1 and Hsd11b2 expression...
- A growth stimulus is needed for IGF-1 to induce skeletal muscle hypertrophy in vivoThea Shavlakadze
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, Perth 6009, WA, Australia
J Cell Sci 123:960-71. 2010..These data demonstrate that elevated IGF-1 has a hypertrophic effect on skeletal muscle only in growth situations...
- Regular voluntary exercise cures stress-induced impairment of cognitive function and cell proliferation accompanied by increases in cerebral IGF-1 and GST activity in miceSanae Nakajima
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Institute of Gerontology, Nippon Medical School, Kawasaki, Kanagawa 211 8533, Japan
Behav Brain Res 211:178-84. 2010..This exercise-induced improvement was attributed to exercise-induced enhancement of IGF-1 protein and GST activity in the brain...
- Impaired muscle growth and response to insulin-like growth factor 1 in dysferlin-mediated muscular dystrophyAlexis R Demonbreun
Department of Medicine, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Hum Mol Genet 20:779-89. 2011..We studied growth, in vivo, by infusing mice with the growth stimulant IGF1. Control IGF1-treated mice increased myofiber diameter by 30% as expected, whereas dysferlin null muscles had no ..
- Amino acid-dependent activation of liver estrogen receptor alpha integrates metabolic and reproductive functions via IGF-1Sara Della Torre
Center of Excellence on Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Milan, Milan, 20133, Italy
Cell Metab 13:205-14. 2011..Our findings may provide novel insights to understand the cause of selected forms of infertility and metabolic alterations in women after menopause...
- Muscle-specific expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 improves outcome in Lama2Dy-w mice, a model for congenital muscular dystrophy type 1AAjay Kumar
Department of Health Sciences, Boston University, 635 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Hum Mol Genet 20:2333-43. 2011..Our results demonstrate that IGF-1 has a promising therapeutic potential in the treatment of MDC1A...
- Circulating levels of IGF-1 directly regulate bone growth and densityShoshana Yakar
Section on Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Clinical Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Invest 110:771-81. 2002....
- Elevated circulating IGF-I promotes mammary gland development and proliferationDara Cannata
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Bone Diseases, The Samuel Bronfman Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Endocrinology 151:5751-61. 2010..This suggests that both local and endocrine IGF-I play roles in mammary gland development and that elevated circulating IGF-I accelerates mammary epithelial proliferation...
- Myogenic vector expression of insulin-like growth factor I stimulates muscle cell differentiation and myofiber hypertrophy in transgenic miceM E Coleman
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 270:12109-16. 1995..These results indicate that sustained overexpression of IGF-I in skeletal muscle elicits myofiber hypertrophy and provides the basis for manipulation of muscle physiology utilizing skeletal alpha-actin-based vectors...
- The ternary IGF complex influences postnatal bone acquisition and the skeletal response to intermittent parathyroid hormoneShoshana Yakar
National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Endocrinol 189:289-99. 2006..We postulate that the ternary complex itself, rather than IGF-I alone, influences bone acquisition in a compartment-specific manner (i.e. cortical vs trabecular bone)...
- Evidence supporting dual, IGF-I-independent and IGF-I-dependent, roles for GH in promoting longitudinal bone growthJ Wang
Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Endocrinol 180:247-55. 2004..To test this hypothesis, we compared long bone growth in mice with targeted deletions of Igf1 vs growth hormone receptor (Ghr)...
- Developmental regulation of the mouse IGF-I exon 1 promoter region by calcineurin activation of NFAT in skeletal muscleChristina M Alfieri
Division of Molecular Cardiovascular Biology, Cincinnati Children s Medical Center, ML 7020, 3333 Burnet Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 292:C1887-94. 2007..The identification of a calcineurin/NFAT-responsive element in the IGF-I gene represents a potential mechanism of intersection of these signaling pathways in the control of muscle development and homeostasis...
- Liver-derived IGF1 enhances the androgenic response in prostateJohan Svensson
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg University, Grona Straket 8, SE 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
J Endocrinol 199:489-97. 2008Both IGF1 and androgens are major enhancers of prostate growth and are implicated in the development of prostate hyperplasia and cancer...
- Serum complexes of insulin-like growth factor-1 modulate skeletal integrity and carbohydrate metabolismShoshana Yakar
Endocrinology Diabetes and Bone Disease, The Mt Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1055, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
FASEB J 23:709-19. 2009..3) IGFBP-3 deficiency resulted in increased linear growth. In summary, each IGF-1 complex constituent appears to play a distinct role in determining skeletal phenotype, with different effects on cortical and trabecular bone compartments...
- Insulin-like growth factors (IGF) in muscle development. Expression of IGF-I, the IGF-I receptor, and an IGF binding protein during myoblast differentiationS E Tollefsen
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110
J Biol Chem 264:13810-7. 1989..These studies demonstrate that several components critical to IGF action are produced in a fusing skeletal muscle cell line in a differentiation-dependent manner and suggest that both IGF-I and IGF-II may be autocrine factors for muscle...
- Insulin-like growth factor I is essential for terminal end bud formation and ductal morphogenesis during mammary developmentW Ruan
Department of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, and Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, New York 10010, USA
Endocrinology 140:5075-81. 1999..These results suggest that IGF-I, when given along with E2, is responsible for ductal morphogenesis...
- Liver-derived IGF-I regulates GH secretion at the pituitary level in miceK Wallenius
Research Centre for Endocrinology and Metabolism, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg SE 413 45, Sweden
Endocrinology 142:4762-70. 2001..The enhanced GH release in turn affects several liver parameters, in line with the existence of a pituitary-liver axis...
- The skeletal structure of insulin-like growth factor I-deficient miceD Bikle
Department of Medicine, University of California and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco 94121, USA
J Bone Miner Res 16:2320-9. 2001..These changes were either less or not found in L1. Thus, lack of IGF-I leads to the development of a bone structure, which, although smaller, appears more compact...
- Sensorineural hearing loss in insulin-like growth factor I-null mice: a new model of human deafnessR Cediel
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid UAM, Arturo Duperier 4, Madrid 28029, Spain
Eur J Neurosci 23:587-90. 2006..These results support the use of the Igf-1(-/-) mouse as a new model for the study of human syndromic deafness...
- Osteoblast-specific knockout of the insulin-like growth factor (IGF) receptor gene reveals an essential role of IGF signaling in bone matrix mineralizationMei Zhang
Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Biol Chem 277:44005-12. 2002..Our findings indicate that IGF1 is essential for coupling matrix biosynthesis to sustained mineralization...
- Impaired skeletal growth in mice with haploinsufficiency of IGF-I: genetic evidence that differences in IGF-I expression could contribute to peak bone mineral density differencesS Mohan
Musculoskeletal Diseases Center, JLP Veterans Administration Medical Center, 11201 Benton St, Loma Linda, California 92357, USA
J Endocrinol 185:415-20. 2005....
- Postnatal growth and bone mass in mice with IGF-I haploinsufficiencyJianing He
Department of Medicine, The University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, 06030 1850, USA
Bone 38:826-35. 2006We examined the influence of IGF-I haploinsufficiency on growth, bone mass and osteoblast differentiation in Igf1 heterozygous knockout (HET) mice...
- Liver-specific overexpression of the insulin-like growth factor-I enhances somatic growth and partially prevents the effects of growth hormone deficiencyLan Liao
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Endocrinology 147:3877-88. 2006..Higher circulating levels of IGF-I can stimulate somatic growth and lean mass and improve glucose tolerance...
- Elevated levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I in serum rescue the severe growth retardation of IGF-I null miceYingjie Wu
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Bone Disease, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029 6574, USA
Endocrinology 150:4395-403. 2009..Furthermore, we show that tissue IGF-I is necessary for the development of the female reproductive system and cannot be compensated by elevated levels of serum IGF-I...
- Delayed inner ear maturation and neuronal loss in postnatal Igf-1-deficient miceG Camarero
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid UAM, 28029 Madrid, Spain
J Neurosci 21:7630-41. 2001..These results demonstrate that lack of IGF-1 in mice severely affects postnatal survival, differentiation, and maturation of the cochlear ganglion cells and causes abnormal innervation of the sensory cells in the organ of Corti...
- A transgenic model to determine the physiological role of liver-derived insulin-like growth factor IK Sjogren
Research Centre for Endocrinology and Metabolism, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Minerva Endocrinol 27:299-311. 2002..Furthermore, it regulates adult axial skeletal growth and cortical radial growth while it is not required for appendicular skeletal growth...
- Liver-derived IGF-I regulates exploratory activity in old miceJohan Svensson
Research Centre for Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Sweden
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E466-73. 2005..These results indicate that liver-derived IGF-I mediates at least part of the effects of GH on exploratory activity in mice...
- Role of IGF-I signaling in regulating osteoclastogenesisYongmei Wang
Department of Medicine, Endocrine Unit, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Bone Miner Res 21:1350-8. 2006..These changes lead to impaired bone resorption, resulting in high BV/TV in IGF-I null mice...
- Differential expression of insulin-like growth factors I and II (IGF I and II), mRNA, peptide and binding protein 1 during mouse palate development: comparison with TGF beta peptide distributionM W Ferguson
Department of Cell and Structural Biology, University of Manchester, UK
J Anat 181:219-38. 1992..In this study, we have mapped the expression of the genes for insulin-like growth factors (IGF I and II), the peptides they encode, and the IGF binding protein 1 (IGF BP-1) during murine palatogenesis (embryonic ..
- Inactivation of the IGF-I gene in mice results in perinatal lethalityL Powell-Braxton
Genentech Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080
Ann N Y Acad Sci 692:300-1. 1993
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 inhibits apoptosis using the phosphatidylinositol 3'-kinase and mitogen-activated protein kinase pathwaysM Parrizas
Diabetes Branch, NIDDK, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 272:154-61. 1997..When wortmannin and PD098059 were given together, the effect was synergistic. The results presented here suggest that IGF-1 is capable of preventing apoptosis by activation of multiple signal transduction pathways...
- Biochemical and morphometric analyses show that myelination in the insulin-like growth factor 1 null brain is proportionate to its neuronal compositionC M Cheng
Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Neurosci 18:5673-81. 1998To elucidate the role of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1) in the normal development of brain myelination, we used behavioral, biochemical, and histological analyses to compare the myelination of brains from Igf1(-/-) and wild-type (WT) ..
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 is required for G2 progression in the estradiol-induced mitotic cycleO O Adesanya
Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:3287-91. 1999Insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1) has been proposed as a "G1-progression factor" and as a mediator of estradiol's (E2) mitogenic effects on the uterus...
- Requirement of estrogen receptor-alpha in insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1)-induced uterine responses and in vivo evidence for IGF-1/estrogen receptor cross-talkDiane M Klotz
Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis, NIEHS, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Biol Chem 277:8531-7. 2002....
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 is essential for normal dendritic growthClara M Cheng
Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
J Neurosci Res 73:1-9. 2003This study evaluated somatic and dendritic growth of neurons in the frontoparietal cortex of Igf1-/- brains. Pyramidal neuron density was increased by approximately 25% (P =.005) and soma size reduced by approximately 10% (P <.001)...
- Role of the insulin-like growth factor I/insulin receptor substrate 1 axis in Rad51 trafficking and DNA repair by homologous recombinationJoanna Trojanek
Center for Neurovirology and Cancer Biology, College of Science and Technology, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19122, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:7510-24. 2003..These results point to a direct role of IRS-1 in HRR and suggest a novel role for the IGF-IR/IRS-1 axis in supporting the stability of the genome...
- Congenic mice with low serum IGF-I have increased body fat, reduced bone mineral density, and an altered osteoblast differentiation programClifford J Rosen
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME, USA
Bone 35:1046-58. 2004..Congenic mice are useful models not only for mapping genes related to bone mass but also for elucidating the biology underlying various skeletal phenotypes associated with more subtle manipulation of the mouse genome...
- IGF-1 vs insulin: respective roles in modulating sodium transport via the PI-3 kinase/Sgk1 pathway in a cortical collecting duct cell lineE Gonzalez-Rodriguez
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Kidney Int 71:116-25. 2007..IGF-1 could play an important physiological role in regulating basal sodium transport via the PI3-K/Sgk1 pathway in ASDN...
- Cytokine-like 1 (Cytl1) regulates the chondrogenesis of mesenchymal cellsJae Sung Kim
Department of Life Sciences, Research Center for Biomolecular Nanotechnology, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, Gwangju 500 712, Korea
J Biol Chem 282:29359-67. 2007..Thus, our results collectively suggest that chondrocyte-specific Cytl1 regulates chondrogenesis as a novel autocrine factor, but not hypertrophic maturation of chondrocytes during cartilage development...
- Cellular patterns of insulin-like growth factor system gene expression in murine chondrogenesis and osteogenesisE Wang
Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Endocrinology 136:2741-51. 1995....
- Role of insulin-like growth factors in embryonic and postnatal growthJ Baker
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032
Cell 75:73-82. 1993....
- Targeted expression of des(1-3) human insulin-like growth factor I in transgenic mice influences mammary gland development and IGF-binding protein expressionD L Hadsell
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Endocrinology 137:321-30. 1996..These changes are believed to occur through autocrine and paracrine effects of des(1-3)-hIGF-I on both epithelial and stromal cells...
- The mouse intraovarian insulin-like growth factor I system: departures from the rat paradigmE Y Adashi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
Endocrinology 138:3881-90. 1997..Studies employing the mouse model must take into account these important distinctions relative to the more established rat paradigm...
- Dietary restriction reduces insulin-like growth factor I levels, which modulates apoptosis, cell proliferation, and tumor progression in p53-deficient miceS E Dunn
Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, NIH, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Cancer Res 57:4667-72. 1997..This is the first mechanistic study demonstrating that IGF-I supplementation abrogates the protective effect of DR on neoplastic progression...
- Insulin-like growth factor-I affects perinatal lethality and postnatal development in a gene dosage-dependent manner: manipulation using the Cre/loxP system in transgenic miceJ L Liu
Section on Cellular and Molecular Physiology, The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Mol Endocrinol 12:1452-62. 1998..This variability allows for postnatal survival and will enable one to begin to explore the role of the endocrine vs. paracrine effects of IGF-I...
- Normal growth and development in the absence of hepatic insulin-like growth factor IS Yakar
Section on Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology Branch, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1770, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:7324-9. 1999The somatomedin hypothesis proposed that insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) was a hepatically derived circulating mediator of growth hormone and is a crucial factor for postnatal growth and development...
- Local insulin-like growth factor I expression induces physiologic, then pathologic, cardiac hypertrophy in transgenic miceM C Delaughter
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
FASEB J 13:1923-9. 1999..Considering these findings, limiting temporal exposure to IGF-I seems the most likely means of delivering IGF-I's potential benefits while avoiding its deleterious side effects...
- Igf1 promotes longitudinal bone growth by insulin-like actions augmenting chondrocyte hypertrophyJ Wang
Developmental Endocrinology Branch, NICHD, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
FASEB J 13:1985-90. 1999..Insulin-like growth factor 1 (Igf1) is reputed to augment longitudinal bone growth by stimulating growth plate chondrocyte proliferation...
- Mapping quantitative trait loci for serum insulin-like growth factor-1 levels in miceC J Rosen
Maine Center for Osteoporosis Research and Education, St Joseph Hospital, Bangor, ME 04401, USA
Bone 27:521-8. 2000..C3H-6 congenic mice demonstrated effects on both the IGF-1 and BMD phenotypes. The genetic determinants of these Igf1sl QTLs will provide much insight into the regulation of IGF-1 and the subsequent acquisition of peak bone mass...
- Insulin-like growth factor-I promotes neurogenesis and synaptogenesis in the hippocampal dentate gyrus during postnatal developmentJ R O'Kusky
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V5Z 1M9
J Neurosci 20:8435-42. 2000....
- Mice deficient in liver production of insulin-like growth factor I display sexual dimorphism in growth hormone-stimulated postnatal growthJ L Liu
Clinical Endocrinology Branch, NIDDK, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1758, USA
Endocrinology 141:4436-41. 2000..Thus, factors other than gonadal steroids mediate this sexual dimorphism. We postulate that the sexual dimorphic response to GH observed in LID mice may be related to genetically programmed differences in GH secretion patterns...
- Liver-specific igf-1 gene deletion leads to muscle insulin insensitivityS Yakar
Cellular Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Diabetes 50:1110-8. 2001..These data provide evidence of the role of circulating IGF-I as an important component of overall insulin action in peripheral tissues...
- STAT5b is required for GH-induced liver IGF-I gene expressionH W Davey
AgResearch, Ruakura Research Centre, Hamilton 2001, New Zealand
Endocrinology 142:3836-41. 2001..Thus, STAT5b plays an important and specific role in liver Igf-I gene expression...
- Evidence that anabolic effects of PTH on bone require IGF-I in growing miceN Miyakoshi
Musculoskeletal Disease Center, J L Pettis VA Medical Center, Loma Linda, California 92357, USA
Endocrinology 142:4349-56. 2001..These data to our knowledge provide the first direct evidence that the anabolic effects of PTH on bone formation in vivo require IGF-I action in growing mice...
- Sustained overexpression of IGF-1 prevents age-dependent decrease in charge movement and intracellular Ca(2+) in mouse skeletal muscleZhong Min Wang
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Gerontology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Biophys J 82:1338-44. 2002..These data support the concept that overexpression of IGF-1 in skeletal muscle prevents age-dependent reduction in charge movement and peak [Ca(2+)](i)...
- Generation of a new congenic mouse strain to test the relationships among serum insulin-like growth factor I, bone mineral density, and skeletal morphology in vivoMary L Bouxsein
The The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine, USA
J Bone Miner Res 17:570-9. 2002..This locus also influences bone density and morphology, with more dramatic effects in cancellous bone than in cortical bone...
- Cardiac-specific IGF-1 expression attenuates dilated cardiomyopathy in tropomodulin-overexpressing transgenic miceSara Welch
Divisions of Molecular Cardiovascular Biology, Children s Hospital Research Foundation, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Circ Res 90:641-8. 2002....
- Requirement for IGF-I in epidermal growth factor-mediated cell cycle progression of mammary epithelial cellsMalinda A Stull
Department of Neuroscience and Anatomy H109, Penn State College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033
Endocrinology 143:1872-9. 2002..These data demonstrate that IGF-I is essential for cell cycle progression in mammary epithelial cells and that it is required for EGF-mediated progression past the G(1)-S checkpoint in these cells...
- Beta cell expression of IGF-I leads to recovery from type 1 diabetesMónica George
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Veterinary Medicine, and Center of Animal Biotechnology and Gene Therapy, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Spain
J Clin Invest 109:1153-63. 2002..Thus, our results indicate that local expression of IGF-I in beta cells regenerates pancreatic islets and counteracts type 1 diabetes, suggesting that IGF-I gene transfer to the pancreas might be a suitable therapy for this disease...
- Cochlear abnormalities in insulin-like growth factor-1 mouse mutantsGuadalupe Camarero
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Arturo Duperier 4, 28029, Madrid, Spain
Hear Res 170:2-11. 2002..In addition, the myelin sheath was severely affected in ganglion neurons. In conclusion, IGF-1 deficit in mice severely affects postnatal survival, differentiation and maturation of the cochlear ganglion cells...
- Liver-derived insulin-like growth factor-I is involved in the regulation of blood pressure in miceAsa Tivesten
Research Center for Endocrinology and Metabolism, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, S 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Endocrinology 143:4235-42. 2002..In conclusion, our findings suggest that liver-derived IGF-I is involved in the regulation of BP in mice...
- Effects of liver-derived insulin-like growth factor I on bone metabolism in miceKlara Sjögren
RCEM, Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
J Bone Miner Res 17:1977-87. 2002..In summary, liver-derived IGF-I exerts a small but significant effect on cortical periosteal bone growth and on adult axial skeletal growth while it is not required for the maintenance of the trabecular bone in adult mice...
- Insulin-like growth factor regulates peak bone mineral density in mice by both growth hormone-dependent and -independent mechanismsSubburaman Mohan
Musculoskeletal Disease Center, Jerry L Pettis Memorial Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Department of Medicine, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California, USA
Endocrinology 144:929-36. 2003....
- IGF-1 receptor mediates differentiation of primary cultures of mouse skeletal myoblastsC D Galvin
Zoology Department, University College Dublin, Belfield, Ireland
Mol Cell Endocrinol 200:19-29. 2003....
- Quantitative trait loci for insulin-like growth factor I, leptin, thyroxine, and corticosterone in genetically heterogeneous miceJames M Harper
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, USA
Physiol Genomics 15:44-51. 2003..These results show that the genetic controls over late-life hormone levels are complex and dependent on effects of genes that act both early and late in the life course...
- Insulin receptor substrate-2 deficiency impairs brain growth and promotes tau phosphorylationMarkus Schubert
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Neurosci 23:7084-92. 2003..Thus, dysregulation of the Irs2 branch of the insulin-Igf-signaling cascade reveals a molecular link between diabetes and neurodegenerative disease...
- Reduced circulating insulin-like growth factor I levels delay the onset of chemically and genetically induced mammary tumorsYiping Wu
Section on Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Diabetes Branch, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases NIH, Building 10, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cancer Res 63:4384-8. 2003..Our data demonstrate that circulating IGF-I levels play a significant role as a risk factor in the onset and development of mammary tumors in two well-established animal models of breast cancer...
- Lack of insulin-like growth factor I exaggerates the effect of calcium deficiency on bone accretion in miceYuji Kasukawa
Musculoskeletal Disease Center, J L Petttis Veterans Administration Medical Center, 11201 Benton Street, Loma Linda, California 92357, USA
Endocrinology 144:4682-9. 2003....
- Inhibition of growth hormone action improves insulin sensitivity in liver IGF-1-deficient miceShoshana Yakar
Diabetes Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda Maryland 20892 1758, USA
J Clin Invest 113:96-105. 2004..These results suggest that IGF-1 plays a role in maintaining a fine balance between GH and insulin to promote normal carbohydrate and lipid metabolism...
- Mammary gland branching morphogenesis is diminished in mice with a deficiency of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), but not in mice with a liver-specific deletion of IGF-IR Gregg Richards
Hormones and Cancer Group, Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis, National Institute of Environmental and Health Science, P O Box 12233, MD D4 04, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Endocrinology 145:3106-10. 2004..study we show that adult IGF-I(m/m) mutant mice exhibit a marked reduction in levels of mammary gland and liver igf1 transcripts compared with controls...
- Muscle expression of a local Igf-1 isoform protects motor neurons in an ALS mouse modelGabriella Dobrowolny
Department of Histology and Medical Embryology, CE BEMM and Interuniversity Institute of Myology, University of Rome La Sapienza, 14 00161 Rome, Italy
J Cell Biol 168:193-9. 2005..These studies establish skeletal muscle as a primary target for the dominant action of inherited SOD1 mutation and suggest that muscle fibers provide appropriate factors, such as mIgf-1, for neuron survival...
- Age-dependent onset of liver-specific IGF-I gene deficiency and its persistence in old age: implications for postnatal growth and insulin resistance in LID miceZhengyi Tang
Fraser Laboratories for Diabetes Research, Department of Medicine, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E288-95. 2005....
- The insulin-like growth factor-I gene and osteoporosis: a critical appraisalTianhua Niu
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Gene 361:38-56. 2005..Molecular dissection of the IGF regulatory system and its signaling pathway in bone may reveal novel therapeutic targets for the treatment of osteoporosis...
- Liver-derived IGF-I is permissive for ovariectomy-induced trabecular bone lossM K Lindberg
Center for Bone Research, Department of Internal Medicine, Div of Endocrinology, Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Bruna Straket 16, 41345 Gothenburg, Sweden
Bone 38:85-92. 2006..A major part of serum IGF-I is derived from the liver. The aim of the present study was to investigate the role of liver-derived IGF-I for ovariectomy (ovx)-induced trabecular bone loss...
- Up-regulation of the Wnt, estrogen receptor, insulin-like growth factor-I, and bone morphogenetic protein pathways in C57BL/6J osteoblasts as opposed to C3H/HeJ osteoblasts in part contributes to the differential anabolic response to fluid shearKin Hing William Lau
Musculoskeletal Disease Center, Jerry L Pettis Memorial Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California 92357, USA
J Biol Chem 281:9576-88. 2006..e. Igtb1 and Cox-2. In conclusion, differential up-regulation of these anabolic pathways may in part contribute to the good and poor response, respectively, in the B6 and C3H mice to mechanical loading...
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN BIOMEDICAL STUDIES OF BONESubburaman Mohan; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Seasonal Bone Loss in MiceClifford Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] Understanding the impact of circadian and circannual rhythms on the skeleton will afford greater insight into homeostatic mechanisms controlling bone maintenance. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DETECTION OF THE SPONTANEOUS FRACTURE MOUSE MUTANT GENESubburaman Mohan; Fiscal Year: 2004..Therefore, there are potential applications in clinical diagnoses based on the DNA polymorphism and in therapy for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. ..
- Novel genes underlying connectivity in the visual cortexMriganka Sur; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular and functional mechanisms underlying binocular visionMriganka Sur; Fiscal Year: 2010..The planned experiments promise to elucidate the mechanisms by which Ten_m3 expression affects the development of binocular vision, and thus to provide a novel basis for the design of therapies for visual dysfunction. ..
- Structural correlates of rapid cortical plasticityMriganka Sur; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such information is critical for explaining pathologies of cortical development, and for suggesting strategies for treatment. ..
- Role of AIB3 in Mammary Gland and Breast CancerJianming Xu; Fiscal Year: 2009..It is very hopeful to identify AIB3 as an oncogene in the breast and a molecular target for breast cancer treatment. ..
- Neuroinflammation in Cholesterol-Induced AD PathogenesisNarayan Bhat; Fiscal Year: 2009..The outcome of these studies should have implications for developing novel and effective anti- inflammatory treatments for AD. ..
- Regulation of E2A in Normal and Aged B LymphopoiesisRichard Riley; Fiscal Year: 2008..More broadly, these studies will further our understanding of the immune defects which accompany old age and their cellular and molecular mechanisms. ..
- Role of Acetaldehyde in Alcoholic CardiomyopathyJun Ren; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our long-term goal is to establish the toxic mechanism of acetaldehyde in the development of alcoholic cardiomyopathy so that prevention and treatment can be optimized [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cortical Plasticity: Inputs, Networks and BehaviorMriganka Sur; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Eighth & Ninth International Symposia on Neurobiology & Neuroendocrinology AgingAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2007..We are also seeking partial support for the expenses of invited speakers from the United States. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IGF-1 Receptor Signaling in Mammary Gland DevelopmentDarryl Hadsell; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Aging:Mechanisms & Prevention:34th Annual Meeting of AGEAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2005..Financial assistance will be provided to those in training to encourage their participation in the meeting. ..
- MAP KINASES IN OLIGODENDROCYTE CELL SIGNALINGNarayan Bhat; Fiscal Year: 2005..Putative MAPK-responsive elements and relevant binding activities will be determined by deletion and gel shift analyses ..
- ACTIVITY DEPENDENT MECHANISMS OF VISUAL DEVELOPMENTMriganka Sur; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such approaches are crucial to understanding the complex cellular mechanisms that underlie the development and refinement of connections during pattern formation. ..
- OVARY-SELECTIVE KNOCKOUT OF IGF-IEli Adashi; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- 7th Intl Symposium-Neurobiology/Neuroendocrinology/AgingAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2004..We are also seeking support for the presenters of the Special Lecture and the Keynote Lecture who will be traveling to Bregenz from the United States. ..
- MAP KINASE REGULATION OF MICROGLIAL ACTIVATIONNarayan Bhat; Fiscal Year: 2004..The suppressive effects of the kinase inhibitors on activation-associated microglial functions; i.e., targeting of oligodendrocytes and myelin phagocytosis will be tested using in vitro models. ..
- DYNAMIC INTEGRATION IN SOMATOSENSORY CORTEXMriganka Sur; Fiscal Year: 2004..Information from these experiments will be important for understanding the integration of multiple inputs in sensory cortex, and more generally for understanding cortical mechanisrns of object detection and discrimination. ..
- OSTEOCLASTIC PHOSPHOTYROSYL PHOSPHATASE AND RESORPTIONKIN HING LAU; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Mammary Carcinogenesis: Growth Hormone and IGF-IDavid Kleinberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..The potential role of IGF-I as a permissive factor for the action of PRL will also be determined. ..
- SENESCENE AND PREB CELL DEVELOPMENTRichard Riley; Fiscal Year: 2003..The experiments in this application will provide a cellular and molecular basis for understanding the temporal loss of B lymphopoiesis and altered generation of VH repertoire during senescence. ..
- Enhancing Recovery of Muscle after Rotator Cuff RepairElisabeth Barton; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, the goal the of proposed study is to develop appropriate therapeutic strategies for the treatment of rotator cuff injury. ..
- UTAH WRHR CAREER DEVELOPMENT CENTEREli Adashi; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- IGF-1, Oxidative Stress and Cardiovascular AgingJun Ren; Fiscal Year: 2002..Our long-term goal is to establish the causal link among IGF-1 deficiency, enhanced oxidative damage and ventricular dysfunction in the progression of cardiovascular aging so that hormonal or antioxidant therapy can be optimized...
- PRODUCTION AND FUNCTION OF GHRH IN THE IMMUNE SYSTEMDOUGLAS WEIGENT; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is further anticipated that the new understanding gained from the results will identify important sites for drug intervention against various immunodeficiencies including AIDS, autoimmunity, and aging. ..
- OVARY SELECTIVE GENES: CRITICAL OVARIAN REGULATORSEli Adashi; Fiscal Year: 2002..Insight derived from this investigation may contribute to novel strategies for the promotion of fertility or its control. ..
- Role of KAP expression in the diabetic kidneyKaren Coschigano; Fiscal Year: 2002..Acceptance of the hypothesis could lead to the development of KAP as a therapeutic drug for the prevention of kidney damage. ..