Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ifng
Description: interferon gamma
Alias: IFN-g, Ifg, interferon gamma, IFN-gamma, gamma interferon
Publications106 found, 100 shown here
- Ouyang W, Liao W, Luo C, Yin N, Huse M, Kim M, et al. Novel Foxo1-dependent transcriptional programs control T(reg) cell function. Nature. 2012;491:554-9 pubmed publisher..analysis of Foxo1 binding sites reveals ~300 Foxo1-bound target genes, including the pro-inflammatory cytokine Ifng, that do not seem to be directly regulated by Foxp3...
- Gomez J, Wapinski O, Yang Y, Bureau J, Gopinath S, Monack D, et al. The NeST long ncRNA controls microbial susceptibility and epigenetic activation of the interferon-? locus. Cell. 2013;152:743-54 pubmed publisher..Thus, this lncRNA regulates epigenetic marking of IFN-?-encoding chromatin, expression of IFN-?, and susceptibility to a viral and a bacterial pathogen. ..
- Reid Yu S, Small C, Coombes B. CD3?NK1.1? cells aid in the early induction of a Th1 response to an attaching and effacing enteric pathogen. Eur J Immunol. 2013;43:2638-49 pubmed publisher..rodentium IgG in NK1.1-depleted mice. These data establish that CD3?NK1.1? cells are critical for inducing an early Th1 response involved in clearance of a pathogen that is restricted to the gastrointestinal tract. ..
- Lu Y, Hong S, Li H, Park J, Hong B, Wang L, et al. Th9 cells promote antitumor immune responses in vivo. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:4160-71 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a distinct role for tumor-specific Th9 cells in provoking CD8+ CTL-mediated antitumor immunity and indicate that Th9 cell-based cancer immunotherapy may be a promising therapeutic approach. ..
- Mishra B, Rathinam V, Martens G, Martinot A, Kornfeld H, Fitzgerald K, et al. Nitric oxide controls the immunopathology of tuberculosis by inhibiting NLRP3 inflammasome-dependent processing of IL-1?. Nat Immunol. 2013;14:52-60 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that the NO produced as a result of adaptive immunity is indispensable in modulating the destructive innate inflammatory responses elicited during persistent infections. ..
- Tsuji H, Mukaida N, Harada A, Kaneko S, Matsushita E, Nakanuma Y, et al. Alleviation of lipopolysaccharide-induced acute liver injury in Propionibacterium acnes-primed IFN-gamma-deficient mice by a concomitant reduction of TNF-alpha, IL-12, and IL-18 production. J Immunol. 1999;162:1049-55 pubmed..Thus, endogenously produced IFN-gamma is involved in the pathogenesis of this liver injury model by regulating Mphi infiltration and granuloma formation in the priming phase as well as cytokine production in the eliciting phase. ..
- Cantin E, Tanamachi B, Openshaw H, Mann J, Clarke K. Gamma interferon (IFN-gamma) receptor null-mutant mice are more susceptible to herpes simplex virus type 1 infection than IFN-gamma ligand null-mutant mice. J Virol. 1999;73:5196-200 pubmedMouse strains with null mutations in the gamma interferon gene (Ifng) or the gamma interferon receptor gene (Ifngr) have been engineered...
- Cornish A, Chong M, Davey G, Darwiche R, Nicola N, Hilton D, et al. Suppressor of cytokine signaling-1 regulates signaling in response to interleukin-2 and other gamma c-dependent cytokines in peripheral T cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:22755-61 pubmed..Hypersensitivity to gammac-dependent cytokines may contribute to abnormal T cell function, as well as the pathology observed in mice lacking SOCS-1. ..
- Andrade R, Portillo J, Wessendarp M, Subauste C. CD40 signaling in macrophages induces activity against an intracellular pathogen independently of gamma interferon and reactive nitrogen intermediates. Infect Immun. 2005;73:3115-23 pubmedb>Gamma interferon (IFN-gamma) is the major inducer of classical activation of macrophages...
- Brem Exner B, Sattler C, Hutchinson J, Koehl G, Kronenberg K, Farkas S, et al. Macrophages driven to a novel state of activation have anti-inflammatory properties in mice. J Immunol. 2008;180:335-49 pubmed..We conclude that IFNgamma-MdC represent macrophages in a novel state of activation, possessing multiple T cell-suppressive effects with therapeutic potential for the treatment of autoimmune inflammation. ..
- Curtsinger J, Agarwal P, Lins D, Mescher M. Autocrine IFN-? promotes naive CD8 T cell differentiation and synergizes with IFN-? to stimulate strong function. J Immunol. 2012;189:659-68 pubmed publisher..Thus, IFN-? is not only an important CD8 T cell effector cytokine, it is an autocrine/paracrine factor whose contributions to differentiation vary depending on whether the response is supported by IL-12 or type I IFN. ..
- Finnegan A, Grusby M, Kaplan C, O Neill S, Eibel H, Koreny T, et al. IL-4 and IL-12 regulate proteoglycan-induced arthritis through Stat-dependent mechanisms. J Immunol. 2002;169:3345-52 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that IL-4 regulates the severity of disease in PGIA by controlling IL-12 production, which in turn regulates the magnitude of IFN-gamma expression through a Stat4-dependent pathway. ..
- Loh J, Chu D, O Guin A, Yokoyama W, Virgin H. Natural killer cells utilize both perforin and gamma interferon to regulate murine cytomegalovirus infection in the spleen and liver. J Virol. 2005;79:661-7 pubmed..acute phase of murine cytomegalovirus (MCMV) infection and have been reported to utilize perforin (Pfp)- and gamma interferon (IFN-gamma)-dependent effector mechanisms in an organ-specific manner to regulate MCMV infection in the ..
- Sadzak I, Schiff M, Gattermeier I, Glinitzer R, Sauer I, Saalmuller A, et al. Recruitment of Stat1 to chromatin is required for interferon-induced serine phosphorylation of Stat1 transactivation domain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:8944-9 pubmed publisher..This control mechanism, which may be used by other Stat proteins as well, restricts the final activation step to the chromatin-tethered transcription factor. ..
- Reinhardt R, Liang H, Locksley R. Cytokine-secreting follicular T cells shape the antibody repertoire. Nat Immunol. 2009;10:385-93 pubmed publisher..Our findings support a model in which B cells compete for cytokines produced by follicular helper T cells that shape the affinity and isotype of the antibody response. ..
- Sun L, Tian Z, Wang J. A direct cross-talk between interferon-gamma and sonic hedgehog signaling that leads to the proliferation of neuronal precursor cells. Brain Behav Immun. 2010;24:220-8 pubmed publisher..This previously unrecognized cross-talk between IFN-gamma and Shh highlights a potential importance of this immune mediator in the pathogenesis of human developmental and psychiatric disorders. ..
- Cornish A, Davey G, Metcalf D, Purton J, Corbin J, Greenhalgh C, et al. Suppressor of cytokine signaling-1 has IFN-gamma-independent actions in T cell homeostasis. J Immunol. 2003;170:878-86 pubmed..Thus, SOCS-1 is a critical regulator of T cell activation and homeostasis, and its influence extends beyond regulating IFN-gamma signaling. ..
- Collazo C, Yap G, Sempowski G, Lusby K, Tessarollo L, Vande Woude G, et al. Inactivation of LRG-47 and IRG-47 reveals a family of interferon gamma-inducible genes with essential, pathogen-specific roles in resistance to infection. J Exp Med. 2001;194:181-8 pubmed..In addition, both strains displayed normal clearance of MCMV. Thus, LRG-47 and IRG-47 have vital, but distinct roles in immune defense against protozoan and bacterial infections. ..
- Feng C, Kaviratne M, Rothfuchs A, Cheever A, Hieny S, Young H, et al. NK cell-derived IFN-gamma differentially regulates innate resistance and neutrophil response in T cell-deficient hosts infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Immunol. 2006;177:7086-93 pubmed..tuberculosis infection and suggest that this response could serve as an important barrier in AIDS patients or other individuals with compromised CD4+ T cell function. ..
- Sun J, Sukhova G, Yang M, Wolters P, MacFarlane L, Libby P, et al. Mast cells modulate the pathogenesis of elastase-induced abdominal aortic aneurysms in mice. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:3359-68 pubmed
- Fernandez Boyanapalli R, McPhillips K, Frasch S, Janssen W, Dinauer M, Riches D, et al. Impaired phagocytosis of apoptotic cells by macrophages in chronic granulomatous disease is reversed by IFN-? in a nitric oxide-dependent manner. J Immunol. 2010;185:4030-41 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that in addition to correcting immunodeficiency in CGD, IFN-? priming of Ms restores clearance of apoptotic cells and may thereby contribute to resolution of exaggerated CGD inflammation. ..
- Seki E, Tsutsui H, Tsuji N, Hayashi N, Adachi K, Nakano H, et al. Critical roles of myeloid differentiation factor 88-dependent proinflammatory cytokine release in early phase clearance of Listeria monocytogenes in mice. J Immunol. 2002;169:3863-8 pubmed..These results indicated a critical role for TLRs/MyD88-dependent IL-12/TNF-alpha production and for IL-12- and IL-18-mediated IFN-gamma production in early phase clearance of LM. ..
- Kontoyiannis D, Boulougouris G, Manoloukos M, Armaka M, Apostolaki M, Pizarro T, et al. Genetic dissection of the cellular pathways and signaling mechanisms in modeled tumor necrosis factor-induced Crohn's-like inflammatory bowel disease. J Exp Med. 2002;196:1563-74 pubmed..development of intestinal pathology in this model depends on Th1-like cytokines such as interleukin 12 and interferon gamma and requires the function of CD8(+) T lymphocytes...
- Feuerer M, Eulenburg K, Loddenkemper C, Hamann A, Huehn J. Self-limitation of Th1-mediated inflammation by IFN-gamma. J Immunol. 2006;176:2857-63 pubmed..Thus, the proinflammatory cytokine IFN-gamma can act as a negative feedback regulator to control Th1-mediated immune responses. ..
- Djuretic I, Levanon D, Negreanu V, Groner Y, Rao A, Ansel K. Transcription factors T-bet and Runx3 cooperate to activate Ifng and silence Il4 in T helper type 1 cells. Nat Immunol. 2007;8:145-53 pubmed..Both T-bet and Runx3 bind to the Ifng promoter and the Il4 silencer, and deletion of the silencer decreases the sensitivity of Il4 to repression by ..
- Zelante T, De Luca A, Bonifazi P, Montagnoli C, Bozza S, Moretti S, et al. IL-23 and the Th17 pathway promote inflammation and impair antifungal immune resistance. Eur J Immunol. 2007;37:2695-706 pubmed..As IL-23-driven inflammation promotes infection and impairs antifungal resistance, modulation of the inflammatory response represents a potential strategy to stimulate protective immune responses to fungi. ..
- Doodes P, Cao Y, Hamel K, Wang Y, Farkas B, Iwakura Y, et al. Development of proteoglycan-induced arthritis is independent of IL-17. J Immunol. 2008;181:329-37 pubmed..These data demonstrate that IL-17 is not absolutely required for autoimmune arthritis and that the production of other proinflammatory mediators is sufficient to compensate for the loss of IL-17 in PGIA. ..
- Kang S, Liang H, Reizis B, Locksley R. Regulation of hierarchical clustering and activation of innate immune cells by dendritic cells. Immunity. 2008;29:819-33 pubmed publisher..Thus, spatial organization of the immune response by DCs between 6 and 24 hr ensures functional activation of innate cells, which restricts pathogens before adaptive immunity is fully activated. ..
- Eaton K, Mefford M, Thevenot T. The role of T cell subsets and cytokines in the pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori gastritis in mice. J Immunol. 2001;166:7456-61 pubmed..The results support the assertion that H. pylori is mediated by a Th1-biased cellular immune response. ..
- Hatton R, Harrington L, Luther R, Wakefield T, Janowski K, Oliver J, et al. A distal conserved sequence element controls Ifng gene expression by T cells and NK cells. Immunity. 2006;25:717-29 pubmedChromatin dynamics that regulate Ifng gene expression are incompletely understood...
- Chang S, Aune T. Dynamic changes in histone-methylation 'marks' across the locus encoding interferon-gamma during the differentiation of T helper type 2 cells. Nat Immunol. 2007;8:723-31 pubmed..of repressive methylation of histone 3 at lysine 9 (H3-K9) and of H3-K27 at the locus encoding interferon-gamma (Ifng locus) during the commitment of naive T cells to the T helper type 1 (TH1) and TH2 lineages...
- Hayashi N, Yoshimoto T, Izuhara K, Matsui K, Tanaka T, Nakanishi K. T helper 1 cells stimulated with ovalbumin and IL-18 induce airway hyperresponsiveness and lung fibrosis by IFN-gamma and IL-13 production. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:14765-70 pubmed..Thus, IL-18 becomes a key target molecule for the development of a therapeutic regimen for the treatment of Th1-cell-induced bronchial asthma. ..
- Kano S, Sato K, Morishita Y, Vollstedt S, Kim S, Bishop K, et al. The contribution of transcription factor IRF1 to the interferon-gamma-interleukin 12 signaling axis and TH1 versus TH-17 differentiation of CD4+ T cells. Nat Immunol. 2008;9:34-41 pubmed..Because both IL-12 and IL-23 bind to and transmit signals through IL-12Rbeta1, our data suggest that distinct thresholds of IL-12Rbeta1 expression are required for T(H)1 versus T(H)-17 differentiation. ..
- Christensen J, Cardin R, Branum K, Doherty P. CD4(+) T cell-mediated control of a gamma-herpesvirus in B cell-deficient mice is mediated by IFN-gamma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:5135-40 pubmed
- Marine J, Topham D, McKay C, Wang D, Parganas E, Stravopodis D, et al. SOCS1 deficiency causes a lymphocyte-dependent perinatal lethality. Cell. 1999;98:609-16 pubmed..Introducing a RAG2 or IFNgamma deficiency eliminates lethality. The results demonstrate that lymphocytes are critical to SOCS1-associated perinatal lethality and implicate SOCS1 in lymphocyte differentiation or regulation. ..
- Wang T, Scully E, Yin Z, Kim J, Wang S, Yan J, et al. IFN-gamma-producing gamma delta T cells help control murine West Nile virus infection. J Immunol. 2003;171:2524-31 pubmed..These data demonstrate a distinct role for gammadelta T cells in the control of and prevention of mortality from murine WN virus infection. ..
- Bocek P, Foucras G, Paul W. Interferon gamma enhances both in vitro and in vivo priming of CD4+ T cells for IL-4 production. J Exp Med. 2004;199:1619-30 pubmed..Thus, IFNgamma plays an unanticipated but substantial role in Th2 priming, although it is an important Th1 cytokine, and under certain circumstances a Th1 inducer. ..
- Mattarollo S, Yong M, Tan L, Frazer I, Leggatt G. Secretion of IFN-gamma but not IL-17 by CD1d-restricted NKT cells enhances rejection of skin grafts expressing epithelial cell-derived antigen. J Immunol. 2010;184:5663-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, NKT cells can promote adaptive immunity to cell-associated Ag expressed in skin by local regulation of IFN-gamma production in secondary lymphoid tissue during cross-priming of effector CD8 T cells. ..
- Sardinha L, Elias R, Mosca T, Bastos K, Marinho C, D Império Lima M, et al. Contribution of NK, NK T, gamma delta T, and alpha beta T cells to the gamma interferon response required for liver protection against Trypanosoma cruzi. Infect Immun. 2006;74:2031-42 pubmed..The presence of numerous intrahepatic amastigotes in infected gamma interferon (IFN-gamma)-deficient mice corroborates the notion that the liver is protected by an efficient local immunity...
- Hsieh M, Lai S, Chen J, Sung J, Lin Y, Wu Hsieh B, et al. Both CXCR3 and CXCL10/IFN-inducible protein 10 are required for resistance to primary infection by dengue virus. J Immunol. 2006;177:1855-63 pubmed..Our results suggest that both CXCR3 and CXCL10/IP-10 contribute to resistance against primary dengue virus infection and that chemokines that are indistinguishable in in vitro assays differ in their activities in vivo. ..
- Hu Y, Hu X, Boumsell L, Ivashkiv L. IFN-gamma and STAT1 arrest monocyte migration and modulate RAC/CDC42 pathways. J Immunol. 2008;180:8057-65 pubmed..Crosstalk between Jak-STAT and Rac/Cdc42 GTPase-mediated signaling pathways provides a molecular mechanism by which cytokines can regulate cell migration. ..
- Wysocka M, Kubin M, Vieira L, Ozmen L, Garotta G, Scott P, et al. Interleukin-12 is required for interferon-gamma production and lethality in lipopolysaccharide-induced shock in mice. Eur J Immunol. 1995;25:672-6 pubmed..Thus, IL-12 is required for IFN-gamma production and lethality in an endotoxic shock model in mice. ..
- Naka T, Tsutsui H, Fujimoto M, Kawazoe Y, Kohzaki H, Morita Y, et al. SOCS-1/SSI-1-deficient NKT cells participate in severe hepatitis through dysregulated cross-talk inhibition of IFN-gamma and IL-4 signaling in vivo. Immunity. 2001;14:535-45 pubmed
- Rodriguez F, Harkins S, Slifka M, Whitton J. Immunodominance in virus-induced CD8(+) T-cell responses is dramatically modified by DNA immunization and is regulated by gamma interferon. J Virol. 2002;76:4251-9 pubmed..demonstrate that subdominant responses are actively suppressed by dominant CD8(+) T-cell responses and that gamma interferon (IFN-gamma) is required for this suppression...
- Soutto M, Zhang F, Enerson B, Tong Y, Boothby M, Aune T. A minimal IFN-gamma promoter confers Th1 selective expression. J Immunol. 2002;169:4205-12 pubmed..Together, the results demonstrate that a minimal IFN-gamma promoter contains a T box expressed in T cells responsive unit and is sufficient to confer Th1 selective expression upon a reporter. ..
- Speyer C, Neff T, Warner R, Guo R, Sarma J, Riedemann N, et al. Regulatory effects of iNOS on acute lung inflammatory responses in mice. Am J Pathol. 2003;163:2319-28 pubmed..In vitro stimulation of microvascular endothelial cells with LPS and IFN gamma revealed elevated production of CXC and CC chemokines in cells from iNOS(-/-) mice when compared to endothelial ..
- Verri W, Cunha T, Parada C, Wei X, Ferreira S, Liew F, et al. IL-15 mediates immune inflammatory hypernociception by triggering a sequential release of IFN-gamma, endothelin, and prostaglandin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:9721-5 pubmed
- Feng C, Zheng L, Jankovic D, Bafica A, Cannons J, Watford W, et al. The immunity-related GTPase Irgm1 promotes the expansion of activated CD4+ T cell populations by preventing interferon-gamma-induced cell death. Nat Immunol. 2008;9:1279-87 pubmed publisher..Our studies identify a feedback mechanism in the T helper type 1 response that limits the detrimental effects of IFN-gamma on effector T lymphocyte survival while promoting the antimicrobial functions of IFN-gamma. ..
- Zou J, Yamamoto N, Fujii T, Takenaka H, Kobayashi M, Herrmann S, et al. Systemic administration of rIL-12 induces complete tumor regression and protective immunity: response is correlated with a striking reversal of suppressed IFN-gamma production by anti-tumor T cells. Int Immunol. 1995;7:1135-45 pubmed
- Jain R, Tartar D, Gregg R, Divekar R, Bell J, Lee H, et al. Innocuous IFNgamma induced by adjuvant-free antigen restores normoglycemia in NOD mice through inhibition of IL-17 production. J Exp Med. 2008;205:207-18 pubmed publisher..GAD2) represents a late-stage epitope, but GAD2-specific T cell receptor transgenic T cells producing interferon gamma (IFNgamma) protect against passive TID...
- Banaiee N, Kincaid E, Buchwald U, Jacobs W, Ernst J. Potent inhibition of macrophage responses to IFN-gamma by live virulent Mycobacterium tuberculosis is independent of mature mycobacterial lipoproteins but dependent on TLR2. J Immunol. 2006;176:3019-27 pubmed..These results establish that M. tuberculosis possesses multiple mechanisms of inhibiting responses to IFN-gamma. ..
- Perona Wright G, Mohrs K, Mayer K, Mohrs M. Differential regulation of IL-4Ralpha expression by antigen versus cytokine stimulation characterizes Th2 progression in vivo. J Immunol. 2010;184:615-23 pubmed publisher..Together these data reveal a tightly controlled program of changing IL-4 responsiveness that characterizes the initiation, amplification, and restriction of a Th2 response in vivo. ..
- Campos R, Szczepanik M, Itakura A, Akahira Azuma M, Sidobre S, Kronenberg M, et al. Cutaneous immunization rapidly activates liver invariant Valpha14 NKT cells stimulating B-1 B cells to initiate T cell recruitment for elicitation of contact sensitivity. J Exp Med. 2003;198:1785-96 pubmed
- Doodes P, Cao Y, Hamel K, Wang Y, Rodeghero R, Mikecz K, et al. IFN-gamma regulates the requirement for IL-17 in proteoglycan-induced arthritis. J Immunol. 2010;184:1552-9 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that both IFN-gamma and IL-17 have the potential to induce PGIA, but it is the strength of the IFN-gamma response that regulates the contribution of each of these Th effector cytokines to disease. ..
- Harty J, Bevan M. Specific immunity to Listeria monocytogenes in the absence of IFN gamma. Immunity. 1995;3:109-17 pubmed..We demonstrate that resistance of IFN gamma gene knockout (GKO-/-) mice to the intracellular bacterium Listeria monocytogenes is severely impaired compared ..
- Nansen A, Jensen T, Christensen J, Andreasen S, Ropke C, Marker O, et al. Compromised virus control and augmented perforin-mediated immunopathology in IFN-gamma-deficient mice infected with lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. J Immunol. 1999;163:6114-22 pubmed..Thus, the presence or absence of IFN-gamma determines whether CTLs will clear infection with this noncytopathogenic virus or induce severe immunopathology. ..
- Bouley D, Kanangat S, Wire W, Rouse B. Characterization of herpes simplex virus type-1 infection and herpetic stromal keratitis development in IFN-gamma knockout mice. J Immunol. 1995;155:3964-71 pubmed
- Rodriguez M, Zoecklein L, Howe C, Pavelko K, Gamez J, Nakane S, et al. Gamma interferon is critical for neuronal viral clearance and protection in a susceptible mouse strain following early intracranial Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus infection. J Virol. 2003;77:12252-65 pubmedWe evaluated the role of gamma interferon (IFN-gamma) in protecting neurons from virus-induced injury following central nervous system infection...
- Hansen D, Bernard N, Nie C, Schofield L. NK cells stimulate recruitment of CXCR3+ T cells to the brain during Plasmodium berghei-mediated cerebral malaria. J Immunol. 2007;178:5779-88 pubmed
- Ilangumaran S, Ramanathan S, Ning T, La Rose J, Reinhart B, Poussier P, et al. Suppressor of cytokine signaling 1 attenuates IL-15 receptor signaling in CD8+ thymocytes. Blood. 2003;102:4115-22 pubmed..Because many different cell types express IL-15, our results strongly suggest that SOCS1 functions as an indispensable attenuator of IL-15 receptor signaling in developing CD8+ thymocytes. ..
- McLoughlin R, Witowski J, Robson R, Wilkinson T, Hurst S, Williams A, et al. Interplay between IFN-gamma and IL-6 signaling governs neutrophil trafficking and apoptosis during acute inflammation. J Clin Invest. 2003;112:598-607 pubmed..These data emphasize a pivotal role for IFN-gamma in regulating innate immunity through control of both the recruitment and clearance phases of PMN trafficking. ..
- Berner V, Liu H, Zhou Q, Alderson K, Sun K, Weiss J, et al. IFN-gamma mediates CD4+ T-cell loss and impairs secondary antitumor responses after successful initial immunotherapy. Nat Med. 2007;13:354-60 pubmed..Thus, although immunotherapeutic regimens inducing strong IFN-gamma responses can lead to successful early antitumor efficacy, they may also impair the development of durable antitumor responses. ..
- Burdeinick Kerr R, Wind J, Griffin D. Synergistic roles of antibody and interferon in noncytolytic clearance of Sindbis virus from different regions of the central nervous system. J Virol. 2007;81:5628-36 pubmed
- Serreze D, Chapman H, Post C, Johnson E, Suarez Pinzon W, Rabinovitch A. Th1 to Th2 cytokine shifts in nonobese diabetic mice: sometimes an outcome, rather than the cause, of diabetes resistance elicited by immunostimulation. J Immunol. 2001;166:1352-9 pubmed
- Aliberti J, Souto J, Marino A, Lannes Vieira J, Teixeira M, Farber J, et al. Modulation of chemokine production and inflammatory responses in interferon-gamma- and tumor necrosis factor-R1-deficient mice during Trypanosoma cruzi infection. Am J Pathol. 2001;158:1433-40 pubmed..cruzi infection and mediate resistance to infection. ..
- Rijneveld A, Lauw F, Schultz M, Florquin S, te Velde A, Speelman P, et al. The role of interferon-gamma in murine pneumococcal pneumonia. J Infect Dis. 2002;185:91-7 pubmed..These data suggest that endogenous IFN-gamma, despite its protective role in defense against intracellular pathogens, does not serve a protective role during pneumococcal pneumonia. ..
- Lovett Racke A, Rocchini A, Choy J, Northrop S, Hussain R, Ratts R, et al. Silencing T-bet defines a critical role in the differentiation of autoreactive T lymphocytes. Immunity. 2004;21:719-31 pubmed..Since T-bet regulates IFNgamma production in CD4(+) T cells, but to a lesser extent in most other IFNgamma-producing cells, T-bet may be a target for therapeutics for Th1-mediated diseases. ..
- Wang Z, Hong J, Sun W, Xu G, Li N, Chen X, et al. Role of IFN-gamma in induction of Foxp3 and conversion of CD4+ CD25- T cells to CD4+ Tregs. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:2434-41 pubmed..These findings have important implications for the understanding of the complex role of IFN-gamma in both induction and self regulation of inflammatory processes. ..
- Awasthi A, Carrier Y, Peron J, Bettelli E, Kamanaka M, Flavell R, et al. A dominant function for interleukin 27 in generating interleukin 10-producing anti-inflammatory T cells. Nat Immunol. 2007;8:1380-9 pubmed..Thus, IL-27 and transforming growth factor-beta promote the generation of IL-10-producing Tr1 cells. ..
- Reboldi A, Coisne C, Baumjohann D, Benvenuto F, Bottinelli D, Lira S, et al. C-C chemokine receptor 6-regulated entry of TH-17 cells into the CNS through the choroid plexus is required for the initiation of EAE. Nat Immunol. 2009;10:514-23 pubmed publisher..Our results identify distinct molecular requirements and ports of lymphocyte entry into uninflamed versus inflamed CNS and suggest that the CCR6-CCL20 axis in the choroid plexus controls immune surveillance of the CNS. ..
- Tishon A, Lewicki H, Rall G, Von Herrath M, Oldstone M. An essential role for type 1 interferon-gamma in terminating persistent viral infection. Virology. 1995;212:244-50 pubmed..In addition to the requirement for IFN-gamma, CD4+ T cells are essential for maintaining a CD8(+)-mediated cure of persistent viral infection. ..
- Alexander W, Starr R, Fenner J, Scott C, Handman E, Sprigg N, et al. SOCS1 is a critical inhibitor of interferon gamma signaling and prevents the potentially fatal neonatal actions of this cytokine. Cell. 1999;98:597-608 pubmed..In this study, SOCS1-/- mice were shown to exhibit excessive responses typical of those induced by interferon gamma (IFNgamma), were hyperresponsive to viral infection, and yielded macrophages with an enhanced IFNgamma-..
- Wang S, Fan Y, Brunham R, Yang X. IFN-gamma knockout mice show Th2-associated delayed-type hypersensitivity and the inflammatory cells fail to localize and control chlamydial infection. Eur J Immunol. 1999;29:3782-92 pubmed..Moreover, the data suggest that the IFN-gamma KO mouse is a useful model system for studying chlamydial pathogenesis. ..
- Yang Y, Ochando J, Bromberg J, Ding Y. Identification of a distant T-bet enhancer responsive to IL-12/Stat4 and IFNgamma/Stat1 signals. Blood. 2007;110:2494-500 pubmed..Together, we provide a novel mechanism for T-bet regulation, and suggest that IL-12/Stat4/T-bet play an important role in CD8 effector responses. ..
- Cheng M, Nguyen M, Fantuzzi G, Koh T. Endogenous interferon-gamma is required for efficient skeletal muscle regeneration. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;294:C1183-91 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results indicate that IFN-gamma promotes muscle healing, in part, by stimulating formation of new muscle fibers. ..
- Satoh Takayama N, Vosshenrich C, Lesjean Pottier S, Sawa S, Lochner M, Rattis F, et al. Microbial flora drives interleukin 22 production in intestinal NKp46+ cells that provide innate mucosal immune defense. Immunity. 2008;29:958-70 pubmed publisher..RORgammat-driven diversification of intestinal NKp46+ cells thereby specifies an innate cellular defense mechanism that operates at mucosal surfaces...
- Hegazy A, Peine M, Helmstetter C, Panse I, Fröhlich A, Bergthaler A, et al. Interferons direct Th2 cell reprogramming to generate a stable GATA-3(+)T-bet(+) cell subset with combined Th2 and Th1 cell functions. Immunity. 2010;32:116-28 pubmed publisher..Stable coexpression of GATA-3 and T-bet provides a molecular concept for the long-term coexistence of Th2 and Th1 cell lineage characteristics in single memory T cells. ..
- Wozniak T, Saunders B, Ryan A, Britton W. Mycobacterium bovis BCG-specific Th17 cells confer partial protection against Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in the absence of gamma interferon. Infect Immun. 2010;78:4187-94 pubmed publisher..Both gamma interferon (IFN-?)- and interleukin 17 (IL-17)-secreting CD4(+) T cells have been identified in subjects with latent TB ..
- Zhang H, Azimullah S, Zheng X, Wang X, Amir N, Mensah Brown E, et al. IFN-? deficiency exacerbates experimental autoimmune neuritis in mice despite a mitigated systemic Th1 immune response. J Neuroimmunol. 2012;246:18-26 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, IFN-? deficiency exacerbates EAN via upregulating Th17 cells despite a mitigated systemic Th1 immune response. ..
- Dalton D, Pitts Meek S, Keshav S, Figari I, Bradley A, Stewart T. Multiple defects of immune cell function in mice with disrupted interferon-gamma genes. Science. 1993;259:1739-42 pubmed..Resting splenic natural killer cell activity was reduced in IFN-gamma-deficient mice. Thus, IFN-gamma is essential for the function of several cell types of the murine immune system. ..
- Taylor A, Murray H. Intracellular antimicrobial activity in the absence of interferon-gamma: effect of interleukin-12 in experimental visceral leishmaniasis in interferon-gamma gene-disrupted mice. J Exp Med. 1997;185:1231-9 pubmed..However, as judged by the effect of exogenous IL-12 this quiescent mechanism can readily be induced to rapidly yield enhanced intracellular antimicrobial activity. ..
- Lesinski G, Badgwell B, Zimmerer J, Crespin T, Hu Y, Abood G, et al. IL-12 pretreatments enhance IFN-alpha-induced Janus kinase-STAT signaling and potentiate the antitumor effects of IFN-alpha in a murine model of malignant melanoma. J Immunol. 2004;172:7368-76 pubmed..However, this treatment regimen did not significantly prolong the survival of IFN-gamma-deficient (B6.129S7-Ifng(tm1Ts)) mice compared with mice treated with IFN-alpha alone...
- Andoh A, Masuda A, Yamakawa M, Kumazawa Y, Kasajima T. Absence of interleukin-4 enhances germinal center reaction in secondary immune response. Immunol Lett. 2000;73:35-41 pubmed..In conclusion, the absence of IL-4 enhanced GC reaction and specific antibody response of Th1-type. IL-4 may play an important role in inducing the appropriate magnitude of humoral immune response. ..
- Simmons C, Goncalves N, Ghaem Maghami M, Bajaj Elliott M, Clare S, Neves B, et al. Impaired resistance and enhanced pathology during infection with a noninvasive, attaching-effacing enteric bacterial pathogen, Citrobacter rodentium, in mice lacking IL-12 or IFN-gamma. J Immunol. 2002;168:1804-12 pubmed..These studies are among the first to examine mechanisms of host resistance to an attaching-effacing pathogen and show an important role for IL-12 and IFN-gamma in limiting bacterial infection of the colonic epithelium. ..
- Pai R, Pennini M, Tobian A, Canaday D, Boom W, Harding C. Prolonged toll-like receptor signaling by Mycobacterium tuberculosis and its 19-kilodalton lipoprotein inhibits gamma interferon-induced regulation of selected genes in macrophages. Infect Immun. 2004;72:6603-14 pubmed..tuberculosis 19-kDa lipoprotein for >16 h inhibits gamma interferon (IFN-gamma)-induced major histocompatibility complex class II (MHC-II) expression by a mechanism involving ..
- Kalis C, Gumenscheimer M, Freudenberg N, Tchaptchet S, Fejer G, Heit A, et al. Requirement for TLR9 in the immunomodulatory activity of Propionibacterium acnes. J Immunol. 2005;174:4295-300 pubmed..Because IFN-gamma is a key mediator of these effects, and enhanced IFN-gamma mRNA expression was absent in spleen and liver of P. acnes-primed TLR9(-/-) mice, we conclude that TLR9 is required for the induction of IFN-gamma by P. acnes. ..
- Molesworth Kenyon S, Yin R, Oakes J, Lausch R. IL-17 receptor signaling influences virus-induced corneal inflammation. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;83:401-8 pubmed..Thus, IL-17 actively influences early virus-induced corneal inflammation. ..