Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ifng
Description: interferon gamma
Alias: IFN-g, Ifg, interferon gamma, IFN-gamma, gamma interferon
Publications106 found, 100 shown here
- Andrade R, Portillo J, Wessendarp M, Subauste C. CD40 signaling in macrophages induces activity against an intracellular pathogen independently of gamma interferon and reactive nitrogen intermediates. Infect Immun. 2005;73:3115-23 pubmedb>Gamma interferon (IFN-gamma) is the major inducer of classical activation of macrophages...
- Brem Exner B, Sattler C, Hutchinson J, Koehl G, Kronenberg K, Farkas S, et al. Macrophages driven to a novel state of activation have anti-inflammatory properties in mice. J Immunol. 2008;180:335-49 pubmed..We conclude that IFNgamma-MdC represent macrophages in a novel state of activation, possessing multiple T cell-suppressive effects with therapeutic potential for the treatment of autoimmune inflammation. ..
- Curtsinger J, Agarwal P, Lins D, Mescher M. Autocrine IFN-? promotes naive CD8 T cell differentiation and synergizes with IFN-? to stimulate strong function. J Immunol. 2012;189:659-68 pubmed publisher..Thus, IFN-? is not only an important CD8 T cell effector cytokine, it is an autocrine/paracrine factor whose contributions to differentiation vary depending on whether the response is supported by IL-12 or type I IFN. ..
- Finnegan A, Grusby M, Kaplan C, O Neill S, Eibel H, Koreny T, et al. IL-4 and IL-12 regulate proteoglycan-induced arthritis through Stat-dependent mechanisms. J Immunol. 2002;169:3345-52 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that IL-4 regulates the severity of disease in PGIA by controlling IL-12 production, which in turn regulates the magnitude of IFN-gamma expression through a Stat4-dependent pathway. ..
- Loh J, Chu D, O Guin A, Yokoyama W, Virgin H. Natural killer cells utilize both perforin and gamma interferon to regulate murine cytomegalovirus infection in the spleen and liver. J Virol. 2005;79:661-7 pubmed..acute phase of murine cytomegalovirus (MCMV) infection and have been reported to utilize perforin (Pfp)- and gamma interferon (IFN-gamma)-dependent effector mechanisms in an organ-specific manner to regulate MCMV infection in the ..
- Sadzak I, Schiff M, Gattermeier I, Glinitzer R, Sauer I, Saalmuller A, et al. Recruitment of Stat1 to chromatin is required for interferon-induced serine phosphorylation of Stat1 transactivation domain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:8944-9 pubmed publisher..This control mechanism, which may be used by other Stat proteins as well, restricts the final activation step to the chromatin-tethered transcription factor. ..
- Dudani R, Murali Krishna K, Krishnan L, Sad S. IFN-gamma induces the erosion of preexisting CD8 T cell memory during infection with a heterologous intracellular bacterium. J Immunol. 2008;181:1700-9 pubmed..Although IFN-gamma promotes the control of intracellular bacterial replication during primary infection, this comes at the expense of erosion of preexisting memory CD8(+) T cells in the wake of infection with heterologous pathogens. ..
- Reinhardt R, Liang H, Locksley R. Cytokine-secreting follicular T cells shape the antibody repertoire. Nat Immunol. 2009;10:385-93 pubmed publisher..Our findings support a model in which B cells compete for cytokines produced by follicular helper T cells that shape the affinity and isotype of the antibody response. ..
- Watanabe Y, Suzuki O, Haruyama T, Akaike T. Interferon-gamma induces reactive oxygen species and endoplasmic reticulum stress at the hepatic apoptosis. J Cell Biochem. 2003;89:244-53 pubmed..These results suggest that IFN-gamma induces ER stress in primary hepatocytes. Both the ROS and ER stress induced by IFN-gamma may be complementary mediators that induce apoptosis in primary hepatocytes. ..
- Sun L, Tian Z, Wang J. A direct cross-talk between interferon-gamma and sonic hedgehog signaling that leads to the proliferation of neuronal precursor cells. Brain Behav Immun. 2010;24:220-8 pubmed publisher..This previously unrecognized cross-talk between IFN-gamma and Shh highlights a potential importance of this immune mediator in the pathogenesis of human developmental and psychiatric disorders. ..
- Dalton D, Haynes L, Chu C, Swain S, Wittmer S. Interferon gamma eliminates responding CD4 T cells during mycobacterial infection by inducing apoptosis of activated CD4 T cells. J Exp Med. 2000;192:117-22 pubmed..Thus, IFN-gamma is essential to a regulatory mechanism that eliminates activated CD4 T cells and maintains CD4 T cell homeostasis during an immune response. ..
- Cornish A, Davey G, Metcalf D, Purton J, Corbin J, Greenhalgh C, et al. Suppressor of cytokine signaling-1 has IFN-gamma-independent actions in T cell homeostasis. J Immunol. 2003;170:878-86 pubmed..Thus, SOCS-1 is a critical regulator of T cell activation and homeostasis, and its influence extends beyond regulating IFN-gamma signaling. ..
- Collazo C, Yap G, Sempowski G, Lusby K, Tessarollo L, Vande Woude G, et al. Inactivation of LRG-47 and IRG-47 reveals a family of interferon gamma-inducible genes with essential, pathogen-specific roles in resistance to infection. J Exp Med. 2001;194:181-8 pubmed..In addition, both strains displayed normal clearance of MCMV. Thus, LRG-47 and IRG-47 have vital, but distinct roles in immune defense against protozoan and bacterial infections. ..
- Granucci F, Zanoni I, Pavelka N, van Dommelen S, Andoniou C, Belardelli F, et al. A contribution of mouse dendritic cell-derived IL-2 for NK cell activation. J Exp Med. 2004;200:287-95 pubmed..These findings provide new information about the mechanisms that mediate DC-NK cell interactions and define a novel and fundamental role for IL-2 in innate immunity. ..
- Feng C, Kaviratne M, Rothfuchs A, Cheever A, Hieny S, Young H, et al. NK cell-derived IFN-gamma differentially regulates innate resistance and neutrophil response in T cell-deficient hosts infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Immunol. 2006;177:7086-93 pubmed..tuberculosis infection and suggest that this response could serve as an important barrier in AIDS patients or other individuals with compromised CD4+ T cell function. ..
- Sun J, Sukhova G, Yang M, Wolters P, MacFarlane L, Libby P, et al. Mast cells modulate the pathogenesis of elastase-induced abdominal aortic aneurysms in mice. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:3359-68 pubmed
- Fernandez Boyanapalli R, McPhillips K, Frasch S, Janssen W, Dinauer M, Riches D, et al. Impaired phagocytosis of apoptotic cells by macrophages in chronic granulomatous disease is reversed by IFN-? in a nitric oxide-dependent manner. J Immunol. 2010;185:4030-41 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that in addition to correcting immunodeficiency in CGD, IFN-? priming of Ms restores clearance of apoptotic cells and may thereby contribute to resolution of exaggerated CGD inflammation. ..
- Seki E, Tsutsui H, Tsuji N, Hayashi N, Adachi K, Nakano H, et al. Critical roles of myeloid differentiation factor 88-dependent proinflammatory cytokine release in early phase clearance of Listeria monocytogenes in mice. J Immunol. 2002;169:3863-8 pubmed..These results indicated a critical role for TLRs/MyD88-dependent IL-12/TNF-alpha production and for IL-12- and IL-18-mediated IFN-gamma production in early phase clearance of LM. ..
- Kontoyiannis D, Boulougouris G, Manoloukos M, Armaka M, Apostolaki M, Pizarro T, et al. Genetic dissection of the cellular pathways and signaling mechanisms in modeled tumor necrosis factor-induced Crohn's-like inflammatory bowel disease. J Exp Med. 2002;196:1563-74 pubmed..development of intestinal pathology in this model depends on Th1-like cytokines such as interleukin 12 and interferon gamma and requires the function of CD8(+) T lymphocytes...
- Feuerer M, Eulenburg K, Loddenkemper C, Hamann A, Huehn J. Self-limitation of Th1-mediated inflammation by IFN-gamma. J Immunol. 2006;176:2857-63 pubmed..Thus, the proinflammatory cytokine IFN-gamma can act as a negative feedback regulator to control Th1-mediated immune responses. ..
- Djuretic I, Levanon D, Negreanu V, Groner Y, Rao A, Ansel K. Transcription factors T-bet and Runx3 cooperate to activate Ifng and silence Il4 in T helper type 1 cells. Nat Immunol. 2007;8:145-53 pubmed..Both T-bet and Runx3 bind to the Ifng promoter and the Il4 silencer, and deletion of the silencer decreases the sensitivity of Il4 to repression by ..
- Zelante T, De Luca A, Bonifazi P, Montagnoli C, Bozza S, Moretti S, et al. IL-23 and the Th17 pathway promote inflammation and impair antifungal immune resistance. Eur J Immunol. 2007;37:2695-706 pubmed..As IL-23-driven inflammation promotes infection and impairs antifungal resistance, modulation of the inflammatory response represents a potential strategy to stimulate protective immune responses to fungi. ..
- Doodes P, Cao Y, Hamel K, Wang Y, Farkas B, Iwakura Y, et al. Development of proteoglycan-induced arthritis is independent of IL-17. J Immunol. 2008;181:329-37 pubmed..These data demonstrate that IL-17 is not absolutely required for autoimmune arthritis and that the production of other proinflammatory mediators is sufficient to compensate for the loss of IL-17 in PGIA. ..
- Kang S, Liang H, Reizis B, Locksley R. Regulation of hierarchical clustering and activation of innate immune cells by dendritic cells. Immunity. 2008;29:819-33 pubmed publisher..Thus, spatial organization of the immune response by DCs between 6 and 24 hr ensures functional activation of innate cells, which restricts pathogens before adaptive immunity is fully activated. ..
- Amiri P, Haak Frendscho M, Robbins K, McKerrow J, Stewart T, Jardieu P. Anti-immunoglobulin E treatment decreases worm burden and egg production in Schistosoma mansoni-infected normal and interferon gamma knockout mice. J Exp Med. 1994;180:43-51 pubmed..In contrast, work on antischistosome vaccines suggests that interferon gamma (IFN-gamma) is the critical immune mediator for vaccine-induced immunity to the parasite...
- Konieczny B, Dai Z, Elwood E, Saleem S, Linsley P, Baddoura F, et al. IFN-gamma is critical for long-term allograft survival induced by blocking the CD28 and CD40 ligand T cell costimulation pathways. J Immunol. 1998;160:2059-64 pubmed..Taken together, our findings indicate that IFN-gamma does not hinder but instead facilitates induction of long-term allograft survival possibly by limiting expansion of activated T cells. ..
- Eaton K, Mefford M, Thevenot T. The role of T cell subsets and cytokines in the pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori gastritis in mice. J Immunol. 2001;166:7456-61 pubmed..The results support the assertion that H. pylori is mediated by a Th1-biased cellular immune response. ..
- Shnyreva M, Weaver W, Blanchette M, Taylor S, Tompa M, Fitzpatrick D, et al. Evolutionarily conserved sequence elements that positively regulate IFN-gamma expression in T cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:12622-7 pubmed..Herein, we identify two evolutionarily conserved noncoding sequence elements (IFNgCNS1 and IFNg CNS2) located approximately 5 kb upstream and approximately 18 kb downstream of the initiation codon of the murine ..
- Wang J, Lin W, Popko B, Campbell I. Inducible production of interferon-gamma in the developing brain causes cerebellar dysplasia with activation of the Sonic hedgehog pathway. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004;27:489-96 pubmed..We conclude that IFN-gamma directly affects the proliferation and fate of EGL neurons in the cerebellum by activating the Shh pathway and stimulating an autocrine growth response by these cells. ..
- Hatton R, Harrington L, Luther R, Wakefield T, Janowski K, Oliver J, et al. A distal conserved sequence element controls Ifng gene expression by T cells and NK cells. Immunity. 2006;25:717-29 pubmedChromatin dynamics that regulate Ifng gene expression are incompletely understood...
- Chang S, Aune T. Dynamic changes in histone-methylation 'marks' across the locus encoding interferon-gamma during the differentiation of T helper type 2 cells. Nat Immunol. 2007;8:723-31 pubmed..of repressive methylation of histone 3 at lysine 9 (H3-K9) and of H3-K27 at the locus encoding interferon-gamma (Ifng locus) during the commitment of naive T cells to the T helper type 1 (TH1) and TH2 lineages...
- Hayashi N, Yoshimoto T, Izuhara K, Matsui K, Tanaka T, Nakanishi K. T helper 1 cells stimulated with ovalbumin and IL-18 induce airway hyperresponsiveness and lung fibrosis by IFN-gamma and IL-13 production. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:14765-70 pubmed..Thus, IL-18 becomes a key target molecule for the development of a therapeutic regimen for the treatment of Th1-cell-induced bronchial asthma. ..
- Kano S, Sato K, Morishita Y, Vollstedt S, Kim S, Bishop K, et al. The contribution of transcription factor IRF1 to the interferon-gamma-interleukin 12 signaling axis and TH1 versus TH-17 differentiation of CD4+ T cells. Nat Immunol. 2008;9:34-41 pubmed..Because both IL-12 and IL-23 bind to and transmit signals through IL-12Rbeta1, our data suggest that distinct thresholds of IL-12Rbeta1 expression are required for T(H)1 versus T(H)-17 differentiation. ..
- Christensen J, Cardin R, Branum K, Doherty P. CD4(+) T cell-mediated control of a gamma-herpesvirus in B cell-deficient mice is mediated by IFN-gamma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:5135-40 pubmed
- Marine J, Topham D, McKay C, Wang D, Parganas E, Stravopodis D, et al. SOCS1 deficiency causes a lymphocyte-dependent perinatal lethality. Cell. 1999;98:609-16 pubmed..Introducing a RAG2 or IFNgamma deficiency eliminates lethality. The results demonstrate that lymphocytes are critical to SOCS1-associated perinatal lethality and implicate SOCS1 in lymphocyte differentiation or regulation. ..
- Wang T, Scully E, Yin Z, Kim J, Wang S, Yan J, et al. IFN-gamma-producing gamma delta T cells help control murine West Nile virus infection. J Immunol. 2003;171:2524-31 pubmed..These data demonstrate a distinct role for gammadelta T cells in the control of and prevention of mortality from murine WN virus infection. ..
- Bocek P, Foucras G, Paul W. Interferon gamma enhances both in vitro and in vivo priming of CD4+ T cells for IL-4 production. J Exp Med. 2004;199:1619-30 pubmed..Thus, IFNgamma plays an unanticipated but substantial role in Th2 priming, although it is an important Th1 cytokine, and under certain circumstances a Th1 inducer. ..
- Mattarollo S, Yong M, Tan L, Frazer I, Leggatt G. Secretion of IFN-gamma but not IL-17 by CD1d-restricted NKT cells enhances rejection of skin grafts expressing epithelial cell-derived antigen. J Immunol. 2010;184:5663-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, NKT cells can promote adaptive immunity to cell-associated Ag expressed in skin by local regulation of IFN-gamma production in secondary lymphoid tissue during cross-priming of effector CD8 T cells. ..
- Sardinha L, Elias R, Mosca T, Bastos K, Marinho C, D Império Lima M, et al. Contribution of NK, NK T, gamma delta T, and alpha beta T cells to the gamma interferon response required for liver protection against Trypanosoma cruzi. Infect Immun. 2006;74:2031-42 pubmed..The presence of numerous intrahepatic amastigotes in infected gamma interferon (IFN-gamma)-deficient mice corroborates the notion that the liver is protected by an efficient local immunity...
- Hsieh M, Lai S, Chen J, Sung J, Lin Y, Wu Hsieh B, et al. Both CXCR3 and CXCL10/IFN-inducible protein 10 are required for resistance to primary infection by dengue virus. J Immunol. 2006;177:1855-63 pubmed..Our results suggest that both CXCR3 and CXCL10/IP-10 contribute to resistance against primary dengue virus infection and that chemokines that are indistinguishable in in vitro assays differ in their activities in vivo. ..
- Hu Y, Hu X, Boumsell L, Ivashkiv L. IFN-gamma and STAT1 arrest monocyte migration and modulate RAC/CDC42 pathways. J Immunol. 2008;180:8057-65 pubmed..Crosstalk between Jak-STAT and Rac/Cdc42 GTPase-mediated signaling pathways provides a molecular mechanism by which cytokines can regulate cell migration. ..
- Wysocka M, Kubin M, Vieira L, Ozmen L, Garotta G, Scott P, et al. Interleukin-12 is required for interferon-gamma production and lethality in lipopolysaccharide-induced shock in mice. Eur J Immunol. 1995;25:672-6 pubmed..Thus, IL-12 is required for IFN-gamma production and lethality in an endotoxic shock model in mice. ..
- Naka T, Tsutsui H, Fujimoto M, Kawazoe Y, Kohzaki H, Morita Y, et al. SOCS-1/SSI-1-deficient NKT cells participate in severe hepatitis through dysregulated cross-talk inhibition of IFN-gamma and IL-4 signaling in vivo. Immunity. 2001;14:535-45 pubmed
- Rodriguez F, Harkins S, Slifka M, Whitton J. Immunodominance in virus-induced CD8(+) T-cell responses is dramatically modified by DNA immunization and is regulated by gamma interferon. J Virol. 2002;76:4251-9 pubmed..demonstrate that subdominant responses are actively suppressed by dominant CD8(+) T-cell responses and that gamma interferon (IFN-gamma) is required for this suppression...
- Soutto M, Zhang F, Enerson B, Tong Y, Boothby M, Aune T. A minimal IFN-gamma promoter confers Th1 selective expression. J Immunol. 2002;169:4205-12 pubmed..Together, the results demonstrate that a minimal IFN-gamma promoter contains a T box expressed in T cells responsive unit and is sufficient to confer Th1 selective expression upon a reporter. ..
- Speyer C, Neff T, Warner R, Guo R, Sarma J, Riedemann N, et al. Regulatory effects of iNOS on acute lung inflammatory responses in mice. Am J Pathol. 2003;163:2319-28 pubmed..In vitro stimulation of microvascular endothelial cells with LPS and IFN gamma revealed elevated production of CXC and CC chemokines in cells from iNOS(-/-) mice when compared to endothelial ..
- Verri W, Cunha T, Parada C, Wei X, Ferreira S, Liew F, et al. IL-15 mediates immune inflammatory hypernociception by triggering a sequential release of IFN-gamma, endothelin, and prostaglandin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:9721-5 pubmed
- Feng C, Zheng L, Jankovic D, Bafica A, Cannons J, Watford W, et al. The immunity-related GTPase Irgm1 promotes the expansion of activated CD4+ T cell populations by preventing interferon-gamma-induced cell death. Nat Immunol. 2008;9:1279-87 pubmed publisher..Our studies identify a feedback mechanism in the T helper type 1 response that limits the detrimental effects of IFN-gamma on effector T lymphocyte survival while promoting the antimicrobial functions of IFN-gamma. ..
- Zou J, Yamamoto N, Fujii T, Takenaka H, Kobayashi M, Herrmann S, et al. Systemic administration of rIL-12 induces complete tumor regression and protective immunity: response is correlated with a striking reversal of suppressed IFN-gamma production by anti-tumor T cells. Int Immunol. 1995;7:1135-45 pubmed
- Jain R, Tartar D, Gregg R, Divekar R, Bell J, Lee H, et al. Innocuous IFNgamma induced by adjuvant-free antigen restores normoglycemia in NOD mice through inhibition of IL-17 production. J Exp Med. 2008;205:207-18 pubmed publisher..GAD2) represents a late-stage epitope, but GAD2-specific T cell receptor transgenic T cells producing interferon gamma (IFNgamma) protect against passive TID...
- Banaiee N, Kincaid E, Buchwald U, Jacobs W, Ernst J. Potent inhibition of macrophage responses to IFN-gamma by live virulent Mycobacterium tuberculosis is independent of mature mycobacterial lipoproteins but dependent on TLR2. J Immunol. 2006;176:3019-27 pubmed..These results establish that M. tuberculosis possesses multiple mechanisms of inhibiting responses to IFN-gamma. ..
- Perona Wright G, Mohrs K, Mayer K, Mohrs M. Differential regulation of IL-4Ralpha expression by antigen versus cytokine stimulation characterizes Th2 progression in vivo. J Immunol. 2010;184:615-23 pubmed publisher..Together these data reveal a tightly controlled program of changing IL-4 responsiveness that characterizes the initiation, amplification, and restriction of a Th2 response in vivo. ..
- Campos R, Szczepanik M, Itakura A, Akahira Azuma M, Sidobre S, Kronenberg M, et al. Cutaneous immunization rapidly activates liver invariant Valpha14 NKT cells stimulating B-1 B cells to initiate T cell recruitment for elicitation of contact sensitivity. J Exp Med. 2003;198:1785-96 pubmed
- Doodes P, Cao Y, Hamel K, Wang Y, Rodeghero R, Mikecz K, et al. IFN-gamma regulates the requirement for IL-17 in proteoglycan-induced arthritis. J Immunol. 2010;184:1552-9 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that both IFN-gamma and IL-17 have the potential to induce PGIA, but it is the strength of the IFN-gamma response that regulates the contribution of each of these Th effector cytokines to disease. ..
- Harty J, Bevan M. Specific immunity to Listeria monocytogenes in the absence of IFN gamma. Immunity. 1995;3:109-17 pubmed..We demonstrate that resistance of IFN gamma gene knockout (GKO-/-) mice to the intracellular bacterium Listeria monocytogenes is severely impaired compared ..
- Nansen A, Jensen T, Christensen J, Andreasen S, Ropke C, Marker O, et al. Compromised virus control and augmented perforin-mediated immunopathology in IFN-gamma-deficient mice infected with lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. J Immunol. 1999;163:6114-22 pubmed..Thus, the presence or absence of IFN-gamma determines whether CTLs will clear infection with this noncytopathogenic virus or induce severe immunopathology. ..
- Bouley D, Kanangat S, Wire W, Rouse B. Characterization of herpes simplex virus type-1 infection and herpetic stromal keratitis development in IFN-gamma knockout mice. J Immunol. 1995;155:3964-71 pubmed
- Rodriguez M, Zoecklein L, Howe C, Pavelko K, Gamez J, Nakane S, et al. Gamma interferon is critical for neuronal viral clearance and protection in a susceptible mouse strain following early intracranial Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus infection. J Virol. 2003;77:12252-65 pubmedWe evaluated the role of gamma interferon (IFN-gamma) in protecting neurons from virus-induced injury following central nervous system infection...
- Hansen D, Bernard N, Nie C, Schofield L. NK cells stimulate recruitment of CXCR3+ T cells to the brain during Plasmodium berghei-mediated cerebral malaria. J Immunol. 2007;178:5779-88 pubmed
- Ilangumaran S, Ramanathan S, Ning T, La Rose J, Reinhart B, Poussier P, et al. Suppressor of cytokine signaling 1 attenuates IL-15 receptor signaling in CD8+ thymocytes. Blood. 2003;102:4115-22 pubmed..Because many different cell types express IL-15, our results strongly suggest that SOCS1 functions as an indispensable attenuator of IL-15 receptor signaling in developing CD8+ thymocytes. ..
- McLoughlin R, Witowski J, Robson R, Wilkinson T, Hurst S, Williams A, et al. Interplay between IFN-gamma and IL-6 signaling governs neutrophil trafficking and apoptosis during acute inflammation. J Clin Invest. 2003;112:598-607 pubmed..These data emphasize a pivotal role for IFN-gamma in regulating innate immunity through control of both the recruitment and clearance phases of PMN trafficking. ..
- Berner V, Liu H, Zhou Q, Alderson K, Sun K, Weiss J, et al. IFN-gamma mediates CD4+ T-cell loss and impairs secondary antitumor responses after successful initial immunotherapy. Nat Med. 2007;13:354-60 pubmed..Thus, although immunotherapeutic regimens inducing strong IFN-gamma responses can lead to successful early antitumor efficacy, they may also impair the development of durable antitumor responses. ..
- Burdeinick Kerr R, Wind J, Griffin D. Synergistic roles of antibody and interferon in noncytolytic clearance of Sindbis virus from different regions of the central nervous system. J Virol. 2007;81:5628-36 pubmed
- Serreze D, Chapman H, Post C, Johnson E, Suarez Pinzon W, Rabinovitch A. Th1 to Th2 cytokine shifts in nonobese diabetic mice: sometimes an outcome, rather than the cause, of diabetes resistance elicited by immunostimulation. J Immunol. 2001;166:1352-9 pubmed
- Aliberti J, Souto J, Marino A, Lannes Vieira J, Teixeira M, Farber J, et al. Modulation of chemokine production and inflammatory responses in interferon-gamma- and tumor necrosis factor-R1-deficient mice during Trypanosoma cruzi infection. Am J Pathol. 2001;158:1433-40 pubmed..cruzi infection and mediate resistance to infection. ..
- Rijneveld A, Lauw F, Schultz M, Florquin S, te Velde A, Speelman P, et al. The role of interferon-gamma in murine pneumococcal pneumonia. J Infect Dis. 2002;185:91-7 pubmed..These data suggest that endogenous IFN-gamma, despite its protective role in defense against intracellular pathogens, does not serve a protective role during pneumococcal pneumonia. ..
- Lovett Racke A, Rocchini A, Choy J, Northrop S, Hussain R, Ratts R, et al. Silencing T-bet defines a critical role in the differentiation of autoreactive T lymphocytes. Immunity. 2004;21:719-31 pubmed..Since T-bet regulates IFNgamma production in CD4(+) T cells, but to a lesser extent in most other IFNgamma-producing cells, T-bet may be a target for therapeutics for Th1-mediated diseases. ..
- Wang Z, Hong J, Sun W, Xu G, Li N, Chen X, et al. Role of IFN-gamma in induction of Foxp3 and conversion of CD4+ CD25- T cells to CD4+ Tregs. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:2434-41 pubmed..These findings have important implications for the understanding of the complex role of IFN-gamma in both induction and self regulation of inflammatory processes. ..
- Awasthi A, Carrier Y, Peron J, Bettelli E, Kamanaka M, Flavell R, et al. A dominant function for interleukin 27 in generating interleukin 10-producing anti-inflammatory T cells. Nat Immunol. 2007;8:1380-9 pubmed..Thus, IL-27 and transforming growth factor-beta promote the generation of IL-10-producing Tr1 cells. ..
- Reboldi A, Coisne C, Baumjohann D, Benvenuto F, Bottinelli D, Lira S, et al. C-C chemokine receptor 6-regulated entry of TH-17 cells into the CNS through the choroid plexus is required for the initiation of EAE. Nat Immunol. 2009;10:514-23 pubmed publisher..Our results identify distinct molecular requirements and ports of lymphocyte entry into uninflamed versus inflamed CNS and suggest that the CCR6-CCL20 axis in the choroid plexus controls immune surveillance of the CNS. ..
- Tishon A, Lewicki H, Rall G, Von Herrath M, Oldstone M. An essential role for type 1 interferon-gamma in terminating persistent viral infection. Virology. 1995;212:244-50 pubmed..In addition to the requirement for IFN-gamma, CD4+ T cells are essential for maintaining a CD8(+)-mediated cure of persistent viral infection. ..
- Alexander W, Starr R, Fenner J, Scott C, Handman E, Sprigg N, et al. SOCS1 is a critical inhibitor of interferon gamma signaling and prevents the potentially fatal neonatal actions of this cytokine. Cell. 1999;98:597-608 pubmed..In this study, SOCS1-/- mice were shown to exhibit excessive responses typical of those induced by interferon gamma (IFNgamma), were hyperresponsive to viral infection, and yielded macrophages with an enhanced IFNgamma-..
- Wang S, Fan Y, Brunham R, Yang X. IFN-gamma knockout mice show Th2-associated delayed-type hypersensitivity and the inflammatory cells fail to localize and control chlamydial infection. Eur J Immunol. 1999;29:3782-92 pubmed..Moreover, the data suggest that the IFN-gamma KO mouse is a useful model system for studying chlamydial pathogenesis. ..
- Yang Y, Ochando J, Bromberg J, Ding Y. Identification of a distant T-bet enhancer responsive to IL-12/Stat4 and IFNgamma/Stat1 signals. Blood. 2007;110:2494-500 pubmed..Together, we provide a novel mechanism for T-bet regulation, and suggest that IL-12/Stat4/T-bet play an important role in CD8 effector responses. ..
- Cheng M, Nguyen M, Fantuzzi G, Koh T. Endogenous interferon-gamma is required for efficient skeletal muscle regeneration. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;294:C1183-91 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results indicate that IFN-gamma promotes muscle healing, in part, by stimulating formation of new muscle fibers. ..
- Satoh Takayama N, Vosshenrich C, Lesjean Pottier S, Sawa S, Lochner M, Rattis F, et al. Microbial flora drives interleukin 22 production in intestinal NKp46+ cells that provide innate mucosal immune defense. Immunity. 2008;29:958-70 pubmed publisher..RORgammat-driven diversification of intestinal NKp46+ cells thereby specifies an innate cellular defense mechanism that operates at mucosal surfaces...
- Hegazy A, Peine M, Helmstetter C, Panse I, Fröhlich A, Bergthaler A, et al. Interferons direct Th2 cell reprogramming to generate a stable GATA-3(+)T-bet(+) cell subset with combined Th2 and Th1 cell functions. Immunity. 2010;32:116-28 pubmed publisher..Stable coexpression of GATA-3 and T-bet provides a molecular concept for the long-term coexistence of Th2 and Th1 cell lineage characteristics in single memory T cells. ..
- Wozniak T, Saunders B, Ryan A, Britton W. Mycobacterium bovis BCG-specific Th17 cells confer partial protection against Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in the absence of gamma interferon. Infect Immun. 2010;78:4187-94 pubmed publisher..Both gamma interferon (IFN-?)- and interleukin 17 (IL-17)-secreting CD4(+) T cells have been identified in subjects with latent TB ..
- Zhang H, Azimullah S, Zheng X, Wang X, Amir N, Mensah Brown E, et al. IFN-? deficiency exacerbates experimental autoimmune neuritis in mice despite a mitigated systemic Th1 immune response. J Neuroimmunol. 2012;246:18-26 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, IFN-? deficiency exacerbates EAN via upregulating Th17 cells despite a mitigated systemic Th1 immune response. ..
- Dalton D, Pitts Meek S, Keshav S, Figari I, Bradley A, Stewart T. Multiple defects of immune cell function in mice with disrupted interferon-gamma genes. Science. 1993;259:1739-42 pubmed..Resting splenic natural killer cell activity was reduced in IFN-gamma-deficient mice. Thus, IFN-gamma is essential for the function of several cell types of the murine immune system. ..
- Taylor A, Murray H. Intracellular antimicrobial activity in the absence of interferon-gamma: effect of interleukin-12 in experimental visceral leishmaniasis in interferon-gamma gene-disrupted mice. J Exp Med. 1997;185:1231-9 pubmed..However, as judged by the effect of exogenous IL-12 this quiescent mechanism can readily be induced to rapidly yield enhanced intracellular antimicrobial activity. ..
- Lesinski G, Badgwell B, Zimmerer J, Crespin T, Hu Y, Abood G, et al. IL-12 pretreatments enhance IFN-alpha-induced Janus kinase-STAT signaling and potentiate the antitumor effects of IFN-alpha in a murine model of malignant melanoma. J Immunol. 2004;172:7368-76 pubmed..However, this treatment regimen did not significantly prolong the survival of IFN-gamma-deficient (B6.129S7-Ifng(tm1Ts)) mice compared with mice treated with IFN-alpha alone...
- Andoh A, Masuda A, Yamakawa M, Kumazawa Y, Kasajima T. Absence of interleukin-4 enhances germinal center reaction in secondary immune response. Immunol Lett. 2000;73:35-41 pubmed..In conclusion, the absence of IL-4 enhanced GC reaction and specific antibody response of Th1-type. IL-4 may play an important role in inducing the appropriate magnitude of humoral immune response. ..
- Simmons C, Goncalves N, Ghaem Maghami M, Bajaj Elliott M, Clare S, Neves B, et al. Impaired resistance and enhanced pathology during infection with a noninvasive, attaching-effacing enteric bacterial pathogen, Citrobacter rodentium, in mice lacking IL-12 or IFN-gamma. J Immunol. 2002;168:1804-12 pubmed..These studies are among the first to examine mechanisms of host resistance to an attaching-effacing pathogen and show an important role for IL-12 and IFN-gamma in limiting bacterial infection of the colonic epithelium. ..
- Pai R, Pennini M, Tobian A, Canaday D, Boom W, Harding C. Prolonged toll-like receptor signaling by Mycobacterium tuberculosis and its 19-kilodalton lipoprotein inhibits gamma interferon-induced regulation of selected genes in macrophages. Infect Immun. 2004;72:6603-14 pubmed..tuberculosis 19-kDa lipoprotein for >16 h inhibits gamma interferon (IFN-gamma)-induced major histocompatibility complex class II (MHC-II) expression by a mechanism involving ..
- Kalis C, Gumenscheimer M, Freudenberg N, Tchaptchet S, Fejer G, Heit A, et al. Requirement for TLR9 in the immunomodulatory activity of Propionibacterium acnes. J Immunol. 2005;174:4295-300 pubmed..Because IFN-gamma is a key mediator of these effects, and enhanced IFN-gamma mRNA expression was absent in spleen and liver of P. acnes-primed TLR9(-/-) mice, we conclude that TLR9 is required for the induction of IFN-gamma by P. acnes. ..
- Molesworth Kenyon S, Yin R, Oakes J, Lausch R. IL-17 receptor signaling influences virus-induced corneal inflammation. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;83:401-8 pubmed..Thus, IL-17 actively influences early virus-induced corneal inflammation. ..