Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Icam1
Description: intercellular adhesion molecule 1
Alias: CD54, Icam-1, Ly-47, MALA-2, intercellular adhesion molecule 1, myD10
- Collins R, Velji R, Guevara N, Hicks M, Chan L, Beaudet A. P-Selectin or intercellular adhesion molecule (ICAM)-1 deficiency substantially protects against atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. J Exp Med. 2000;191:189-94 pubmed..These results, coupled with the closely controlled genetics of this study, indicate that reductions in the expression of P-selectin, ICAM-1, or E-selectin provide direct protection from atherosclerotic lesion formation in this model. ..
- Huleatt J, Lefrancois L. Beta2 integrins and ICAM-1 are involved in establishment of the intestinal mucosal T cell compartment. Immunity. 1996;5:263-73 pubmed..These results demonstrated that ICAM-1 and beta2 integrins were required for establishment of a normal intestinal immune system. ..
- Sumagin R, Lomakina E, Sarelius I. Leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions are linked to vascular permeability via ICAM-1-mediated signaling. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;295:H969-H977 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ICAM-1 plays an essential role in the regulation of Ps in microvessels and that there are two separate (constitutive and inducible) signaling pathways that regulate permeability under normal and inflamed conditions. ..
- Sligh J, Ballantyne C, Rich S, Hawkins H, Smith C, Bradley A, et al. Inflammatory and immune responses are impaired in mice deficient in intercellular adhesion molecule 1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:8529-33 pubmedGene targeting was used to produce mice deficient in intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) or CD54, an immunoglobulin-like cell adhesion molecule that binds beta 2 integrins...
- Basit A, Reutershan J, Morris M, Solga M, Rose C, Ley K. ICAM-1 and LFA-1 play critical roles in LPS-induced neutrophil recruitment into the alveolar space. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2006;291:L200-7 pubmed..We conclude that ICAM-1 and LFA-1 play critical roles in the recruitment of neutrophils into the alveolar space in aerosolized LPS-induced lung inflammation, and LFA-1 serves as a ligand of ICAM-1 in the lung. ..
- Cybulsky M, Iiyama K, Li H, Zhu S, Chen M, Iiyama M, et al. A major role for VCAM-1, but not ICAM-1, in early atherosclerosis. J Clin Invest. 2001;107:1255-62 pubmed..Therefore, although expression of both VCAM-1 and ICAM-1 is upregulated in atherosclerotic lesions, our data indicate that VCAM-1 plays a dominant role in the initiation of atherosclerosis. ..
- Ohteki T, Maki C, Koyasu S, Mak T, Ohashi P. Cutting edge: LFA-1 is required for liver NK1.1+TCR alpha beta+ cell development: evidence that liver NK1.1+TCR alpha beta+ cells originate from multiple pathways. J Immunol. 1999;162:3753-6 pubmed..Collectively, these data indicate that LFA-1 is required for the development of liver NKT cells, rather than the migration to and/or subsequent establishment of mature NKT cells in the liver. ..
- Daneman R, Zhou L, Kebede A, Barres B. Pericytes are required for blood-brain barrier integrity during embryogenesis. Nature. 2010;468:562-6 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that pericyte-endothelial cell interactions are critical to regulate the BBB during development, and disruption of these interactions may lead to BBB dysfunction and neuroinflammation during CNS injury and disease...
- Frommhold D, Kamphues A, Hepper I, Pruenster M, Lukic I, Socher I, et al. RAGE and ICAM-1 cooperate in mediating leukocyte recruitment during acute inflammation in vivo. Blood. 2010;116:841-9 pubmed publisher..Because intercellular adhesion molecule (ICAM)-1 also binds beta(2)-integrins, we studied RAGE(-/-), Icam1(-/-), and RAGE(-/-) Icam1(-/-) mice to define the relative contribution of each ligand for leukocyte adhesion in ..
- Emoto M, Mittrucker H, Schmits R, Mak T, Kaufmann S. Critical role of leukocyte function-associated antigen-1 in liver accumulation of CD4+NKT cells. J Immunol. 1999;162:5094-8 pubmed..These results demonstrate a crucial role for LFA-1 in the accumulation of CD4+NKT cells in the liver. ..
- Robker R, Collins R, Beaudet A, Mersmann H, Smith C. Leukocyte migration in adipose tissue of mice null for ICAM-1 and Mac-1 adhesion receptors. Obes Res. 2004;12:936-40 pubmed..Our results documented leukocyte populations within adipose tissue, which may be involved in the development of heightened inflammation that is characteristic of obesity. ..
- Bertry Coussot L, Lucas B, Danel C, Halbwachs Mecarelli L, Bach J, Chatenoud L, et al. Long-term reversal of established autoimmunity upon transient blockade of the LFA-1/intercellular adhesion molecule-1 pathway. J Immunol. 2002;168:3641-8 pubmedTransgenic models and administration of mAbs directed against the LFA-1/intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) pathway have shown that these costimulatory molecules play a key role in generating effector cells mediating inflammatory ..
- Kurachi T, Morita I, Murota S. Involvement of adhesion molecules LFA-1 and ICAM-1 in osteoclast development. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1993;1178:259-66 pubmed..These results indicate that adhesion molecules LFA-1 and ICAM-1 may play a role in osteoclast development via interaction between stromal cells and osteoclast progenitors as well as among osteoclast progenitors. ..
- Steeber D, Campbell M, Basit A, Ley K, Tedder T. Optimal selectin-mediated rolling of leukocytes during inflammation in vivo requires intercellular adhesion molecule-1 expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:7562-7 pubmed..functional synergy between selectin and Ig family members, mice deficient in both L-selectin and intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) were generated...
- Pattillo C, Pardue S, Shen X, Fang K, Langston W, JOURD HEUIL D, et al. ICAM-1 cytoplasmic tail regulates endothelial glutathione synthesis through a NOX4/PI3-kinase-dependent pathway. Free Radic Biol Med. 2010;49:1119-28 pubmed publisher..These data reveal that the ICAM-1 cytoplasmic tail regulates production of endothelial GSH through a NOX4/PI3-kinase-dependent redox-sensitive pathway. ..
- Okada Y, Morimoto I, Ura K, Watanabe K, Eto S, Kumegawa M, et al. Cell-to-Cell adhesion via intercellular adhesion molecule-1 and leukocyte function-associated antigen-1 pathway is involved in 1alpha,25(OH)2D3, PTH and IL-1alpha-induced osteoclast differentiation and bone resorption. Endocr J. 2002;49:483-95 pubmed..Taken together, we here propose that ICAM-1-mediated cell-to-cell adhesion of osteoblasts and osteoclast precursors is involved in RANKL-dependent osteoclast maturation stimulated by 1,25D, PTH, and IL-1alpha. ..
- Xu H, Guan H, Zu G, Bullard D, Hanson J, Slater M, et al. The role of ICAM-1 molecule in the migration of Langerhans cells in the skin and regional lymph node. Eur J Immunol. 2001;31:3085-93 pubmedICAM-1 (CD54) plays an important role in the cell-cell interaction and migration of leukocytes...
- Yoshida H, Honda K, Shinkura R, Adachi S, Nishikawa S, Maki K, et al. IL-7 receptor alpha+ CD3(-) cells in the embryonic intestine induces the organizing center of Peyer's patches. Int Immunol. 1999;11:643-55 pubmed..Intestinal IL-7Ralpha+ cells are lymphoid in morphology but CD3(-) and functional in both nu/nu and Rag2-/- mice. These results implicate IL-7Ralpha+ CD3(-) cells as the direct inducer of the organizing center of PP. ..
- Doerck S, Göbel K, Weise G, Schneider Hohendorf T, Reinhardt M, Hauff P, et al. Temporal pattern of ICAM-I mediated regulatory T cell recruitment to sites of inflammation in adoptive transfer model of multiple sclerosis. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15478 pubmed publisher..Therefore it is likely to assume that intervention at the blood brain barrier is time dependent and could result in different therapeutic outcomes depending on the phase of CNS lesion development. ..
- Gottrand G, Courau T, Thomas Vaslin V, Prevel N, Vazquez T, Ruocco M, et al. Regulatory T-cell development and function are impaired in mice lacking membrane expression of full length intercellular adhesion molecule-1. Immunology. 2015;146:657-70 pubmed publisher..Hence, our results further highlight the pleiotropic role of ICAM-1 in T-cell-dependent immune responses, with a major role in Treg cell development and suppressive function. ..
- Kupatt C, Wichels R, Horstkotte J, Krombach F, Habazettl H, Boekstegers P. Molecular mechanisms of platelet-mediated leukocyte recruitment during myocardial reperfusion. J Leukoc Biol. 2002;72:455-61 pubmed..23+/-4/field), an effect sensitive to Tirofiban inhibition (23+/-4 leukocytes/field, 22+/-3 platelets/field). We conclude that platelets contribute postischemic leukocyte adhesion in the heart via P-selectin and GPIIb/IIIa. ..
- Reichardt P, Patzak I, Jones K, Etemire E, Gunzer M, Hogg N. A role for LFA-1 in delaying T-lymphocyte egress from lymph nodes. EMBO J. 2013;32:829-43 pubmed publisher..Thus, we identify a novel function for LFA-1 in guiding T cells at the critical point of LN egress when they either exit or return into the LN for further interactions. ..
- Lek H, Morrison V, Conneely M, Campbell P, McGloin D, Kliche S, et al. The spontaneously adhesive leukocyte function-associated antigen-1 (LFA-1) integrin in effector T cells mediates rapid actin- and calmodulin-dependent adhesion strengthening to ligand under shear flow. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:14698-708 pubmed publisher
- Starace D, Galli R, Paone A, De Cesaris P, Filippini A, Ziparo E, et al. Toll-like receptor 3 activation induces antiviral immune responses in mouse sertoli cells. Biol Reprod. 2008;79:766-75 pubmed publisher..stimulation with the synthetic double-stranded RNA analogue poly (I:C), they produce the proinflammatory molecule ICAM1 and secrete functionally active CCL2 chemokine...
- Berberich S, Dähne S, Schippers A, Peters T, Muller W, Kremmer E, et al. Differential molecular and anatomical basis for B cell migration into the peritoneal cavity and omental milky spots. J Immunol. 2008;180:2196-203 pubmed
- Couty J, Rampon C, Leveque M, Laran Chich M, Bourdoulous S, Greenwood J, et al. PECAM-1 engagement counteracts ICAM-1-induced signaling in brain vascular endothelial cells. J Neurochem. 2007;103:793-801 pubmed..Our findings reveal a novel activity for PECAM-1 which, by counteracting ICAM-1-induced activation, could directly contribute to limit activation and maintain integrity of brain vascular endothelium. ..
- Staunton D, Marlin S, Stratowa C, Dustin M, Springer T. Primary structure of ICAM-1 demonstrates interaction between members of the immunoglobulin and integrin supergene families. Cell. 1988;52:925-33 pubmedb>Intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) is a 90 kd inducible surface glycoprotein that promotes adhesion in immunological and inflammatory reactions...
- Kohm A, Miller S. Role of ICAM-1 and P-selectin expression in the development and effector function of CD4+CD25+regulatory T cells. J Autoimmun. 2003;21:261-71 pubmed..reported that CD4+CD25+CD62L(hi)T(R)cells express elevated levels of two additional adhesion molecules, ICAM-1 (CD54) and P-selectin (CD62P) in comparison to non-T(R)cells...
- Scott G, Kean R, Fabis M, Mikheeva T, Brimer C, Phares T, et al. ICAM-1 upregulation in the spinal cords of PLSJL mice with experimental allergic encephalomyelitis is dependent upon TNF-alpha production triggered by the loss of blood-brain barrier integrity. J Neuroimmunol. 2004;155:32-42 pubmed
- Dai J, Wang P, Bai F, Town T, Fikrig E. Icam-1 participates in the entry of west nile virus into the central nervous system. J Virol. 2008;82:4164-8 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that ICAM-1 plays an important role in West Nile virus neuroinvasion and that targeting ICAM-1 signaling may help control viral encephalitis. ..
- Chung S, Gould B, Gorczynski R. The role of ICAM-1 in the induction of antigen-specific T cell hyporesponsiveness. Immunol Lett. 1996;50:155-9 pubmed..These results suggest that ICAM-1 plays an important role in the induction of T cell hyporesponsiveness and allograft prolongation following the intrahepatic encounter of alloantigen. ..
- Kitagawa K, Matsumoto M, Ohtsuki T, Kuwabara K, Mabuchi T, Yagita Y, et al. Deficiency of intercellular adhesion molecule 1 fails to mitigate selective neuronal death after transient global ischemia. Brain Res. 1999;847:166-74 pubmedRecent studies have shown a crucial role of intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) in expansion of infarction after focal cerebral ischemia...
- Robledo O, Papaioannou A, Ochietti B, Beauchemin C, Legault D, Cantin A, et al. ICAM-1 isoforms: specific activity and sensitivity to cleavage by leukocyte elastase and cathepsin G. Eur J Immunol. 2003;33:1351-60 pubmed..These findings not only demonstrate that ICAM-1 isoforms are fully functional, but support the concept that alternative RNA splicing in the Ig superfamily may fulfill distinct roles during the development of the immune response. ..
- Li J, Chang W, Sun G, Chen H, Specian R, Berney S, et al. Intercellular adhesion molecule 1 is important for the development of severe experimental malaria but is not required for leukocyte adhesion in the brain. J Investig Med. 2003;51:128-40 pubmed publisher..Most investigators hypothesize that leukocytes bind to endothelial cells via intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1), which causes endothelial damage, increased microvascular permeability, and, ultimately, ..
- Joachim R, Handjiski B, Blois S, Hagen E, Paus R, Arck P. Stress-induced neurogenic inflammation in murine skin skews dendritic cells towards maturation and migration: key role of intercellular adhesion molecule-1/leukocyte function-associated antigen interactions. Am J Pathol. 2008;173:1379-88 pubmed publisher..However, present-day stressors have changed and such adaptations appear redundant and may overrun skin homeostasis by inducing immune dermatoses...
- Mitsui S, Saito M, Mori K, Yoshihara Y. A transcriptional enhancer that directs telencephalon-specific transgene expression in mouse brain. Cereb Cortex. 2007;17:522-30 pubmed
- Holland M, Castro F, Alexander S, Smith D, Liu J, Walker M, et al. RAC2, AEP, and ICAM1 expression are associated with CNS disease in a mouse model of pre-B childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood. 2011;118:638-49 pubmed publisher..discovery-based approaches identified unique expression of asparaginyl endopeptidase (AEP), intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM1), and ras-related C3 botulinum toxin substrate 2 (RAC2), among others, in an invasive pre-B-..
- Cao X, Chen G, He L, Zhang W, Yu Y, Wang J. Involvement of MHC class I molecule and ICAM-1 in the enhancement of adhesion and cytotoxic susceptibility to immune effector cells of tumor cells transfected with the interleukin (IL)-2, IL-4 or IL-6 gene. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 1997;123:602-8 pubmed
- Obi A, Andraska E, Kanthi Y, Kessinger C, Elfline M, Luke C, et al. Endotoxaemia-augmented murine venous thrombosis is dependent on TLR-4 and ICAM-1, and potentiated by neutropenia. Thromb Haemost. 2017;117:339-348 pubmed publisher..Endotoxaemia enhanced early VT occurs in a TLR-4 and ICAM-1 dependent fashion, and is potentiated by neutropenia. ICAM-1 and/or TLR-4 inhibition may be a unique strategy to prevent sepsis-associated VT. ..
- Watts G, Beurskens F, Martin Padura I, Ballantyne C, Klickstein L, Brenner M, et al. Manifestations of inflammatory arthritis are critically dependent on LFA-1. J Immunol. 2005;174:3668-75 pubmed..Blocking mAbs further revealed an ongoing requirement for LFA-1 I-domain adhesive function in disease perpetuation. These findings suggest that the LFA-1 I-domain forms an attractive target for treatment of human inflammatory arthritis. ..
- Lu D, Tian L, O Neill C, King N. Regulation of cellular adhesion molecule expression in murine oocytes, peri-implantation and post-implantation embryos. Cell Res. 2002;12:373-83 pubmed
- Dong Z, Gutierrez Ramos J, Coxon A, Mayadas T, Wagner D. A new class of obesity genes encodes leukocyte adhesion receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:7526-30 pubmed..Our results indicate that (i) leukocytes play a role in preventing excess body fat deposition and (ii) defects in leukocyte adhesion receptors can result in obesity. ..
- Sugino H, Yoshihara Y, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, Mori K. Genomic organization and chromosomal localization of the mouse telencephalin gene, a neuronal member of the ICAM family. Genomics. 1997;43:209-15 pubmed
- Tsai C, Chen W, Hsieh H, Chi P, Hsiao L, Yang C. TNF-? induces matrix metalloproteinase-9-dependent soluble intercellular adhesion molecule-1 release via TRAF2-mediated MAPKs and NF-?B activation in osteoblast-like MC3T3-E1 cells. J Biomed Sci. 2014;21:12 pubmed publisher..The interplay between MMP-9 expression and sICAM-1 release may exert an important role in the regulation of bone inflammatory diseases. ..
- Orito H, Fujimoto M, Ishiura N, Yanaba K, Matsushita T, Hasegawa M, et al. Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 cooperatively contribute to the cutaneous Arthus reaction. J Leukoc Biol. 2007;81:1197-204 pubmed..Thus, VCAM-1 plays a complementary role to ICAM-1 in the cutaneous Arthus reaction by regulating leukocyte accumulation and proinflammatory cytokine production...
- Maeda K, Kosco Vilbois M, Burton G, Szakal A, Tew J. Expression of the intercellular adhesion molecule-1 on high endothelial venules and on non-lymphoid antigen handling cells: interdigitating cells, antigen transporting cells and follicular dendritic cells. Cell Tissue Res. 1995;279:47-54 pubmed..Interestingly, FDC, IDC, and ATC are 3 important accessory cells known to handle antigens in specific compartments of lymphoid tissues.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Zhu P, Liu X, LaBelle E, Freedman B. Mechanisms of hypotonicity-induced calcium signaling and integrin activation by arachidonic acid-derived inflammatory mediators in B cells. J Immunol. 2005;175:4981-9 pubmed
- Cao L, Zou Y, Zhu J, Fan X, Li J. Ginsenoside Rg1 attenuates concanavalin A-induced hepatitis in mice through inhibition of cytokine secretion and lymphocyte infiltration. Mol Cell Biochem. 2013;380:203-10 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that Rg1 represents a novel agent for the treatment of T lymphocyte-dependent liver injury. ..
- Turowski P, Martinelli R, Crawford R, Wateridge D, Papageorgiou A, Lampugnani M, et al. Phosphorylation of vascular endothelial cadherin controls lymphocyte emigration. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:29-37 pubmed..We found that adhesion of lymphocytes or activation of the endothelial intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM1) led to tyrosine phosphorylation of VEC...
- Chakraborti A, Lippman D, Loh H, Kozak C, Lee N. Genetic mapping of opioid binding protein gene(s) to mouse chromosome 9. Mamm Genome. 1993;4:179-82 pubmed
- Humlicek A, Pang L, Look D. Modulation of airway inflammation and bacterial clearance by epithelial cell ICAM-1. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2004;287:L598-607 pubmed..The results indicate that epithelial cell ICAM-1 participates in neutrophil recruitment into the airway, but its most important role in clearance of H. influenzae may be assistance with neutrophil-dependent bacterial killing. ..
- Dal Secco D, Cunha T, Freitas A, Alves Filho J, Souto F, Fukada S, et al. Hydrogen sulfide augments neutrophil migration through enhancement of adhesion molecule expression and prevention of CXCR2 internalization: role of ATP-sensitive potassium channels. J Immunol. 2008;181:4287-98 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that during the inflammatory response, H(2)S augments neutrophil adhesion and locomotion, by a mechanism dependent on K(ATP)(+) channels. ..
- Baker P, Dufour L, Dixon M, Roopenian D. Adhesion molecule deficiencies increase Porphyromonas gingivalis-induced alveolar bone loss in mice. Infect Immun. 2000;68:3103-7 pubmed..Complete deletion of P-selectin or nearly complete lack of expression of intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) led to increased susceptibility to bone resorption after oral infection, while a ..
- Dopp J, Breneman S, Olschowka J. Expression of ICAM-1, VCAM-1, L-selectin, and leukosialin in the mouse central nervous system during the induction and remission stages of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. J Neuroimmunol. 1994;54:129-44 pubmed..Expression of the adhesion molecules ICAM-1 (CD54), VCAM-1 (CD106), L-selectin (CD62L), and leukosialin (CD43) was analyzed via immunocytochemistry 4-28 days after ..
- Isaksson J, Farooque M, Olsson Y. Spinal cord injury in ICAM-1-deficient mice: assessment of functional and histopathological outcome. J Neurotrauma. 2000;17:333-44 pubmed..In summary, these results do not support the concept that ICAM-1 alone mediates secondary tissue damage following traumatic SCI in the mouse. ..
- Vogel S, Orrington Myers J, Broman M, Malik A. De novo ICAM-1 synthesis in the mouse lung: model of assessment of protein expression in lungs. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2006;291:L496-501 pubmed..Moreover, the general method presented herein has potential value in assessing mechanisms of gene and protein expression in the isolated-perfused mouse lung model. ..
- Moreira A, Campanelli A, Cavassani K, Souto J, Ferreira B, Martinez R, et al. Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 is required for the early formation of granulomas and participates in the resistance of mice to the infection with the fungus Paracoccidioides brasiliensis. Am J Pathol. 2006;169:1270-81 pubmed..These data show that ICAM-1 is effectively involved in cellular migration and in the organization of the granulomatous lesion caused by the fungus P. brasiliensis. ..
- Kaburagi Y, Hasegawa M, Nagaoka T, Shimada Y, Hamaguchi Y, Komura K, et al. The cutaneous reverse Arthus reaction requires intercellular adhesion molecule 1 and L-selectin expression. J Immunol. 2002;168:2970-8 pubmed
- Rudolph H, Klopstein A, Gruber I, Blatti C, Lyck R, Engelhardt B. Postarrest stalling rather than crawling favors CD8(+) over CD4(+) T-cell migration across the blood-brain barrier under flow in vitro. Eur J Immunol. 2016;46:2187-203 pubmed publisher..Thus, cellular and molecular mechanisms mediating the multistep extravasation of activated CD8(+) T cells across the BBB are distinguishable from those involved for CD4(+) T cells. ..
- Torres Palsa M, Koziol M, Goh Q, Cicinelli P, Peterson J, Pizza F. Expression of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 by myofibers in mdx mice. Muscle Nerve. 2015;52:795-802 pubmed publisher..These findings support a paradigm in which ICAM-1 and its localization to myofibers in muscles of mdx mice contributes to the dystrophic pathology. ..
- Frossard J, Saluja A, Bhagat L, Lee H, Bhatia M, Hofbauer B, et al. The role of intercellular adhesion molecule 1 and neutrophils in acute pancreatitis and pancreatitis-associated lung injury. Gastroenterology. 1999;116:694-701 pubmedb>Intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) and neutrophils play important roles in many inflammatory processes, but their importance in both acute pancreatitis and pancreatitis-associated lung injury has not been defined...
- Matsutani T, Kang S, Miyashita M, Sasajima K, Choudhry M, Bland K, et al. Liver cytokine production and ICAM-1 expression following bone fracture, tissue trauma, and hemorrhage in middle-aged mice. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2007;292:G268-74 pubmed..These results collectively suggest that the extent of hepatic damage following Fx-TH is dependent on the age of the subject. ..
- Rosenkranz A, Mayadas T. Leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions - lessons from knockout mice. Exp Nephrol. 1999;7:125-36 pubmed..Second, we discuss models of experimental glomerulonephritis and what we have learned about leukocyte adhesion receptors in the pathogenesis of glomerulonephritis through studies in knockout mice. ..
- Tang T, Rosenkranz A, Assmann K, Goodman M, Gutierrez Ramos J, Carroll M, et al. A role for Mac-1 (CDIIb/CD18) in immune complex-stimulated neutrophil function in vivo: Mac-1 deficiency abrogates sustained Fcgamma receptor-dependent neutrophil adhesion and complement-dependent proteinuria in acute glomerulonephritis. J Exp Med. 1997;186:1853-63 pubmed..The absence of Mac-1 interactions with obvious ligands, intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1), and C3 complement, is not responsible for the decrease in neutrophil accumulation in Mac-1-..
- Zameer A, Hoffman S. Increased ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 expression in the brains of autoimmune mice. J Neuroimmunol. 2003;142:67-74 pubmed..These results suggest a possible mechanism for leukocyte entry into the brains of autoimmune mice that in turn suggest immune-mediated pathology in CNS-lupus. ..
- Broide D, Sullivan S, Gifford T, Sriramarao P. Inhibition of pulmonary eosinophilia in P-selectin- and ICAM-1-deficient mice. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 1998;18:218-25 pubmed..These studies suggest an important role for ICAM-1 and P-selectin in eosinophil recruitment to the lung after allergen challenge. ..
- Steinhoff U, Klemm U, Greiner M, Bordasch K, Kaufmann S. Altered intestinal immune system but normal antibacterial resistance in the absence of P-selectin and ICAM-1. J Immunol. 1998;160:6112-20 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that P-selectin and ICAM-1 are critically involved in the shaping of lymphocyte populations of the gut but have only a minor influence on systemic and regional host defense against intracellular bacteria. ..
- Metzler B, Mair J, Lercher A, Schaber C, Hintringer F, Pachinger O, et al. Mouse model of myocardial remodelling after ischemia: role of intercellular adhesion molecule-1. Cardiovasc Res. 2001;49:399-407 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the absence of ICAM-1 expression results in less myocardial damage induced by ischemia-reperfusion at the early stage, but does not influence the size of myocardial infarction and scar formation. ..
- Saunders B, Frank A, Orme I. Granuloma formation is required to contain bacillus growth and delay mortality in mice chronically infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Immunology. 1999;98:324-8 pubmed
- Lacal P, Petrillo M, Ruffini F, Muzi A, Bianchini R, Ronchetti S, et al. Glucocorticoid-induced tumor necrosis factor receptor family-related ligand triggering upregulates vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 and promotes leukocyte adhesion. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2013;347:164-72 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that GITRL triggering in EC increases leukocyte adhesion and transmigration, suggesting new anti-inflammatory therapeutic approaches based on inhibition of GITRL-GITR interaction. ..
- Palazzo A, Jones S, Girod W, Anderson D, Granger D, Lefer D. Myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury in CD18- and ICAM-1-deficient mice. Am J Physiol. 1998;275:H2300-7 pubmed..Deficiency in either CD18 or ICAM-1 expression results in a marked reduction in PMN accumulation and myocardial necrosis after acute MI/R. ..
- Francois M, Short K, Secker G, Combes A, Schwarz Q, Davidson T, et al. Segmental territories along the cardinal veins generate lymph sacs via a ballooning mechanism during embryonic lymphangiogenesis in mice. Dev Biol. 2012;364:89-98 pubmed publisher..Our data support a new model for lymphatic vascular patterning and morphogenesis, as a basis for identifying the molecular cues governing these processes...
- Steeber D, Tang M, Green N, Zhang X, Sloane J, Tedder T. Leukocyte entry into sites of inflammation requires overlapping interactions between the L-selectin and ICAM-1 pathways. J Immunol. 1999;163:2176-86 pubmed..Thus, members of the selectin and Ig families function synergistically to mediate optimal leukocyte rolling and entry into tissues, which is essential for the generation of effective inflammatory responses in vivo. ..
- Wagner M, Zollner G, Fickert P, Gumhold J, Silbert D, Fuchsbichler A, et al. Hepatobiliary transporter expression in intercellular adhesion molecule 1 knockout and Fas receptor-deficient mice after common bile duct ligation is independent of the degree of inflammation and oxidative stress. Drug Metab Dispos. 2007;35:1694-9 pubmedLiver injury in intercellular adhesion molecule 1 knockout (ICAM(-/-)) and Fas receptor-deficient (lpr) mice is markedly reduced after common bile duct ligation (CBDL) due to significantly reduced inflammation and oxidative stress...
- McCafferty D, Kanwar S, Granger D, Kubes P. E/P-selectin-deficient mice: an optimal mutation for abrogating antigen but not tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced immune responses. Eur J Immunol. 2000;30:2362-71 pubmed..These data demonstrate that, in vivo, sufficient amounts of TNF-alpha can recruit leukocytes independently of selectins, whereas inhibition of endothelial selectins is the optimal intervention in reducing the immune response to antigen. ..
- Roland C, Dineen S, Toombs J, Carbon J, Smith C, Brekken R, et al. Tumor-derived intercellular adhesion molecule-1 mediates tumor-associated leukocyte infiltration in orthotopic pancreatic xenografts. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2010;235:263-70 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that tumor-derived ICAM-1 is a sufficient ligand for tumor-associated PMNs and may play a role in subsequent tumor growth and metastasis. ..
- Martin S, van den Engel N, Vinke A, Heidenthal E, Schulte B, Kolb H. Dominant role of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 in the pathogenesis of autoimmune diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice. J Autoimmun. 2001;17:109-17 pubmed..Histological examinations revealed minor infiltration around pancreatic islets of ICAM1(-/-) NOD mice...
- Tarin C, Gomez M, Calvo E, Lopez J, Zaragoza C. Endothelial nitric oxide deficiency reduces MMP-13-mediated cleavage of ICAM-1 in vascular endothelium: a role in atherosclerosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:27-32 pubmed publisher..Taking together, these results point toward MMP-13 as a mechanism for the NO-mediated protection of atherosclerosis. ..
- Chu Z, Chen H, Ma Y, Zhou Y, Zhang M, Zhang P, et al. Lactobacillus plantarum prevents the upregulation of adhesion molecule expression in an experimental colitis model. Dig Dis Sci. 2010;55:2505-13 pubmed publisher..Mucosal addressin cell adhesion molecule 1 (MAdCAM-1) and intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) expression were determined by immunohistochemistry...
- Shinomiya N, Suzuki S, Hashimoto A, Ito M, Takaai Y, Oiwa H. Effect of hyperbaric oxygen on intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) expression in murine lung. Aviat Space Environ Med. 1998;69:1-7 pubmed..Therefore, activation of inflammatory leukocytes in the pulmonary oxygen toxicity may occur only after prolonged (more than 4 h) or repetitive exposures to HBO. ..
- Kaminski A, Pohl C, Sponholz C, Ma N, Stamm C, Vollmar B, et al. Up-regulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase inhibits pulmonary leukocyte migration following lung ischemia-reperfusion in mice. Am J Pathol. 2004;164:2241-9 pubmed..We conclude that eNOS attenuates post-ischemic inflammatory injury to the lung most probably via inhibition of endothelial adhesion molecule expression. ..