Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Hoxd10
Description: homeobox D10
Alias: AI385591, AI874987, Hox-4.5, Hox-5.3, homeobox protein Hox-D10, homeo box D10, homeobox protein Hox-4.5, homeobox protein Hox-5.3
- Kmita M, Fraudeau N, Herault Y, Duboule D. Serial deletions and duplications suggest a mechanism for the collinearity of Hoxd genes in limbs. Nature. 2002;420:145-50 pubmed
- Zakany J, Duboule D. Synpolydactyly in mice with a targeted deficiency in the HoxD complex. Nature. 1996;384:69-71 pubmed..8), may involve the loss of function of several Hoxd genes. These results indicate the existence of a functional hierarchy among these genes and provide us with an animal model to study human digit malformations. ..
- Wellik D, Capecchi M. Hox10 and Hox11 genes are required to globally pattern the mammalian skeleton. Science. 2003;301:363-7 pubmed..The redundancy among these paralogous family members is so great that this global aspect of Hox patterning is not apparent in mice that are mutant for five of the six paralogous alleles. ..
- Xu B, Wellik D. Axial Hox9 activity establishes the posterior field in the developing forelimb. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:4888-91 pubmed publisher..This Hox9 mutant phenotype is restricted to the forelimbs; mutant hindlimbs are normal, revealing fundamental differences in the patterning mechanisms governing the establishment of forelimb and hindlimb fields. ..
- Dolle P, Izpisua Belmonte J, Falkenstein H, Renucci A, Duboule D. Coordinate expression of the murine Hox-5 complex homoeobox-containing genes during limb pattern formation. Nature. 1989;342:767-72 pubmed
- Zappavigna V, Renucci A, Izpisua Belmonte J, Urier G, Peschle C, Duboule D. HOX4 genes encode transcription factors with potential auto- and cross-regulatory capacities. EMBO J. 1991;10:4177-87 pubmed..These results show that the HOX4D and HOX4C genes are genuine sequence-specific transcription factors and suggest that, as in Drosophila, cross-regulatory interactions between these genes might be essential for their proper expression. ..
- Izpisua Belmonte J, Falkenstein H, Dolle P, Renucci A, Duboule D. Murine genes related to the Drosophila AbdB homeotic genes are sequentially expressed during development of the posterior part of the body. EMBO J. 1991;10:2279-89 pubmed..Furthermore, the possible role of 'temporal colinearity' in the ontogeny of all coelomic (metamerized) metazoans showing a temporal anteroposterior morphogenetic progression is addressed. ..
- Spitz F, Herkenne C, Morris M, Duboule D. Inversion-induced disruption of the Hoxd cluster leads to the partition of regulatory landscapes. Nat Genet. 2005;37:889-93 pubmed..This approach can be used to study the relationship between genome architecture and gene expression, such as the effects of genome rearrangements in human diseases or during evolution. ..
- Gerard M, Chen J, Gronemeyer H, Chambon P, Duboule D, Zakany J. In vivo targeted mutagenesis of a regulatory element required for positioning the Hoxd-11 and Hoxd-10 expression boundaries. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2326-34 pubmed..These results illustrate the sharing, in cis, of a single regulatory element in order to establish the expression boundaries of two neighboring Hoxd genes. ..
- Zakany J, Gerard M, Favier B, Duboule D. Deletion of a HoxD enhancer induces transcriptional heterochrony leading to transposition of the sacrum. EMBO J. 1997;16:4393-402 pubmed..A slight time delay in expression (transcriptional heterochrony) cannot be compensated for at a later developmental stage, eventually leading to morphological alterations. ..
- McIntyre D, Rakshit S, Yallowitz A, Loken L, Jeannotte L, Capecchi M, et al. Hox patterning of the vertebrate rib cage. Development. 2007;134:2981-9 pubmed..Thus, the ;Hox code' in somitic mesoderm is the result of the distinct, graded effects of two or more Hox paralogous groups functioning in any anteroposterior location. ..
- Tarchini B, Huynh T, Cox G, Duboule D. HoxD cluster scanning deletions identify multiple defects leading to paralysis in the mouse mutant Ironside. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2862-76 pubmed..Among them are the loss of Hoxd10 function, the sum of remaining Hoxd gene activity, and the ectopic gain of function of the neighboring gene Evx2, ..
- Kondo T, Duboule D. Breaking colinearity in the mouse HoxD complex. Cell. 1999;97:407-17 pubmed..These data suggest that a regulatory element located upstream of the complex is necessary for setting up the early pattern of Hox gene colinear activation. ..
- Herault Y, Beckers J, Kondo T, Fraudeau N, Duboule D. Genetic analysis of a Hoxd-12 regulatory element reveals global versus local modes of controls in the HoxD complex. Development. 1998;125:1669-77 pubmed..These results support a model whereby global as well as local regulatory influences are necessary to build up the complex expression patterns of Hoxd genes during limb development. ..
- Hibiya K, Katsumoto T, Kondo T, Kitabayashi I, Kudo A. Brpf1, a subunit of the MOZ histone acetyl transferase complex, maintains expression of anterior and posterior Hox genes for proper patterning of craniofacial and caudal skeletons. Dev Biol. 2009;329:176-90 pubmed publisher..We propose a common role of the MOZ HAT complex in vertebrates, a complex which is required for the proper patterning for skeletal development...
- Choe A, Phun H, Tieu D, Hu Y, Carpenter E. Expression patterns of Hox10 paralogous genes during lumbar spinal cord development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:730-7 pubmed..The three genes, Hoxa10, Hoxc10, and Hoxd10, are all expressed in the lumbar spinal cord and have distinct expression patterns...
- Bobick B, Cobb J. Shox2 regulates progression through chondrogenesis in the mouse proximal limb. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:6071-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, we provide evidence that Shox2 regulates progression through chondrogenesis at two distinct stages--the onset of early differentiation and the transition to maturation and hypertrophy. ..
- Barna M, Pandolfi P, Niswander L. Gli3 and Plzf cooperate in proximal limb patterning at early stages of limb development. Nature. 2005;436:277-81 pubmed..The initial division of the vertebrate limb into two distinct molecular domains is consistent with fossil evidence indicating that the upper and lower extremities of the limb have different evolutionary origins. ..
- Tschopp P, Duboule D. A regulatory 'landscape effect' over the HoxD cluster. Dev Biol. 2011;351:288-96 pubmed publisher..Proximal limbs were also affected, suggesting that this 'landscape effect' is generic and impacts upon regulatory mechanisms of various qualities and evolutionary origins. ..
- Pan L, Xie Y, Black T, Jones C, Pruitt S, Gross K. An Abd-B class HOX.PBX recognition sequence is required for expression from the mouse Ren-1c gene. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:32489-94 pubmed..HOXB6, -B7, and -C8 failed to bind the PPE alone but showed weak affinity in the presence of PBX1b. In contrast, HOXD10 and to a lesser degree HOXB9 bound the PPE with high affinities regardless of whether PBX1b was present...
- Carpenter E, Goddard J, Davis A, Nguyen T, Capecchi M. Targeted disruption of Hoxd-10 affects mouse hindlimb development. Development. 1997;124:4505-14 pubmed
- Herault Y, Fraudeau N, Zakany J, Duboule D. Ulnaless (Ul), a regulatory mutation inducing both loss-of-function and gain-of-function of posterior Hoxd genes. Development. 1997;124:3493-500 pubmed
- Favier B, Rijli F, Fromental Ramain C, Fraulob V, Chambon P, Dolle P. Functional cooperation between the non-paralogous genes Hoxa-10 and Hoxd-11 in the developing forelimb and axial skeleton. Development. 1996;122:449-60 pubmed
- Dreger R, Harris M, Peichel C, Vogt T, Juriloff D. The first arch (Far) mutation in mice recombines with Hoxd and Mdk. Mamm Genome. 1995;6:662-3 pubmed
- Rijli F, Dolle P, Fraulob V, LeMeur M, Chambon P. Insertion of a targeting construct in a Hoxd-10 allele can influence the control of Hoxd-9 expression. Dev Dyn. 1994;201:366-77 pubmed..These results provide the first evidence that a targeted insertion into a Hox gene coding sequence, in the context of its own cluster, could result in misexpression of a neighbour gene of the complex. ..
- Juriloff D, Harris M, Miller J, Jacobson D, Martin P. Is Far a Hox mutation?. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol. 1992;12:119-29 pubmed..abstract truncated at 400 words) ..
- Lin A, Carpenter E. Hoxa10 and Hoxd10 coordinately regulate lumbar motor neuron patterning. J Neurobiol. 2003;56:328-37 pubmedThe paralogous Hox genes Hoxa10 and Hoxd10 are expressed in overlapping domains in the developing lumbar spinal cord and surrounding mesoderm...
- Wang L, Zhang Z, Li Q, Yang R, Pei X, Xu Y, et al. Ethanol exposure induces differential microRNA and target gene expression and teratogenic effects which can be suppressed by folic acid supplementation. Hum Reprod. 2009;24:562-79 pubmed publisher..01). The study provided new insights into the role of miRNAs and their target genes in the pathogenesis of fetal alcohol syndrome. ..
- Satoh W, Gotoh T, Tsunematsu Y, Aizawa S, Shimono A. Sfrp1 and Sfrp2 regulate anteroposterior axis elongation and somite segmentation during mouse embryogenesis. Development. 2006;133:989-99 pubmed..This study suggests that Wnt regulation by Sfrp1 and Sfrp2 is required for embryonic patterning. ..
- Nagy I, Xu Q, Naillat F, Ali N, Miinalainen I, Samoylenko A, et al. Impairment of Wnt11 function leads to kidney tubular abnormalities and secondary glomerular cystogenesis. BMC Dev Biol. 2016;16:30 pubmed publisher..The C57Bl6 Wnt11 (-/-) mouse generated here provides a model for studying the mechanisms behind tubular anomalies and glomerular cyst formation. ..
- Luo L, Yang X, Takihara Y, Knoetgen H, Kessel M. The cell-cycle regulator geminin inhibits Hox function through direct and polycomb-mediated interactions. Nature. 2004;427:749-53 pubmed..By establishing competitive regulation, geminin functions as a coordinator of developmental and proliferative control. ..
- Peterson R, Jacobs D, Awgulewitsch A. Hox-3.6: isolation and characterization of a new murine homeobox gene located in the 5' region of the Hox-3 cluster. Mech Dev. 1992;37:151-66 pubmed..5. Structural analysis of the 5' region revealed the presence of a 35 bp sequence which shares homology and relative 5' position with an upstream sequence present in its two nearest downstream neighbors, Hox-3.2 and -3.1. ..
- Kessel M. Respecification of vertebral identities by retinoic acid. Development. 1992;115:487-501 pubmed..The transformations are discussed with regard to a molecular specification of axial levels by Hox codes, defined as combinations of expressed Hox genes. ..
- Dalton T, Palmiter R, Andrews G. Transcriptional induction of the mouse metallothionein-I gene in hydrogen peroxide-treated Hepa cells involves a composite major late transcription factor/antioxidant response element and metal response promoter elements. Nucleic Acids Res. 1994;22:5016-23 pubmed..Induction of MT gene transcription by ROS and the subsequent scavenging of ROS by the MT peptide is reminiscent of the metal regulatory loop and is consistent with the hypothesized protective functions of MT. ..
- Guha U, Gomes W, Kobayashi T, Pestell R, Kessler J. In vivo evidence that BMP signaling is necessary for apoptosis in the mouse limb. Dev Biol. 2002;249:108-20 pubmed..These abnormalities were rescued by coexpressing BMP4 under the same promoter in double transgenic mice, suggesting that the limb abnormalities are a direct effect of inhibiting BMP signaling. ..
- Wu Y, Wang G, Scott S, Capecchi M. Hoxc10 and Hoxd10 regulate mouse columnar, divisional and motor pool identity of lumbar motoneurons. Development. 2008;135:171-82 pubmed..We have investigated the function of Hoxc10 and Hoxd10 in mouse lumbar motoneuron development...
- Boulet A, Capecchi M. Duplication of the Hoxd11 gene causes alterations in the axial and appendicular skeleton of the mouse. Dev Biol. 2002;249:96-107 pubmed..Interestingly, the insertion of an additional Hoxd11 locus into the HoxD complex does not appear to affect the expression patterns of the neighboring Hoxd10, -d12, or -d13 genes.
- Beccari L, Yakushiji Kaminatsui N, Woltering J, Necsulea A, Lonfat N, Rodríguez Carballo E, et al. A role for HOX13 proteins in the regulatory switch between TADs at the HoxD locus. Genes Dev. 2016;30:1172-86 pubmed publisher..In the absence of HOX13 proteins, a proximal limb structure grows without any sign of wrist articulation, likely related to an ancestral fish-like condition. ..
- Misra M, Shah V, Carpenter E, McCaffery P, Lance Jones C. Restricted patterns of Hoxd10 and Hoxd11 set segmental differences in motoneuron subtype complement in the lumbosacral spinal cord. Dev Biol. 2009;330:54-72 pubmed publisherDuring normal vertebrate development, Hoxd10 and Hoxd11 are expressed by differentiating motoneurons in restricted patterns along the rostrocaudal axis of the lumbosacral (LS) spinal cord...
- Raines A, Adam M, Magella B, Meyer S, Grimes H, Dey S, et al. Recombineering-based dissection of flanking and paralogous Hox gene functions in mouse reproductive tracts. Development. 2013;140:2942-52 pubmed publisher..These results identify novel molecular functions of Hox genes in the development of the male and female reproductive tracts. ..
- Delpretti S, Zakany J, Duboule D. A function for all posterior Hoxd genes during digit development?. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:792-802 pubmed publisherFour posterior Hoxd genes, from Hoxd13 to Hoxd10, are collectively regulated during the development of tetrapod digits...
- Li L, Liu B, Wapinski O, Tsai M, Qu K, Zhang J, et al. Targeted disruption of Hotair leads to homeotic transformation and gene derepression. Cell Rep. 2013;5:3-12 pubmed publisher..Hotair inactivation causes H3K4me3 gain and, to a lesser extent, H3K27me3 loss at target genes. These results reveal the function and mechanisms of Hotair lncRNA in enforcing a silent chromatin state at Hox and additional genes. ..
- Sheth R, Barozzi I, Langlais D, Osterwalder M, Nemec S, Carlson H, et al. Distal Limb Patterning Requires Modulation of cis-Regulatory Activities by HOX13. Cell Rep. 2016;17:2913-2926 pubmed publisher..Our results show that proper termination of the early limb transcriptional program and activation of the late-distal limb program are coordinated by the dual action of HOX13 on cis-regulatory modules. ..
- Pan L, Glenn S, Jones C, Gross K. Activation of the rat renin promoter by HOXD10.PBX1b.PREP1, Ets-1, and the intracellular domain of notch. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:20860-6 pubmed..Finally, we show that the intracellular domain of Notch1, Ets-1, and HOXD10.PBX1b.PREP1 activate the rat renin promoter cooperatively in COS-7 cells...
- Dolle P, Duboule D. Two gene members of the murine HOX-5 complex show regional and cell-type specific expression in developing limbs and gonads. EMBO J. 1989;8:1507-15 pubmed..In addition, Hox-5.2 is a marker for gonadal development. The possible involvement of such genes during inductive processes or organogenesis is discussed. ..
- Burke A, Nelson C, Morgan B, Tabin C. Hox genes and the evolution of vertebrate axial morphology. Development. 1995;121:333-46 pubmed..The recognition of mechanistic homology supports the historical homology of basic patterning mechanisms between all organisms that share these genes. ..
- Schorderet P, Duboule D. Structural and functional differences in the long non-coding RNA hotair in mouse and human. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002071 pubmed publisher..Alternatively, redundant or compensatory mechanisms may mask its function when studied under physiological conditions. ..
- Kmita M, Kondo T, Duboule D. Targeted inversion of a polar silencer within the HoxD complex re-allocates domains of enhancer sharing. Nat Genet. 2000;26:451-4 pubmed..This polar silencer appears to limit the number of genes that respond to one type of regulation and thus indicates how separate regulatory domains may be implemented within intricate gene clusters. ..
- Patterson L, Pembaur M, Potter S. Hoxa11 and Hoxd11 regulate branching morphogenesis of the ureteric bud in the developing kidney. Development. 2001;128:2153-61 pubmed
- Montavon T, Le Garrec J, Kerszberg M, Duboule D. Modeling Hox gene regulation in digits: reverse collinearity and the molecular origin of thumbness. Genes Dev. 2008;22:346-59 pubmed publisher..We also show that the same model applies to the collinear regulation of Hox genes during the emergence of external genitalia, though with some differences likely illustrating the distinct functionalities of these structures in adults. ..
- Yashiro K, Zhao X, Uehara M, Yamashita K, Nishijima M, Nishino J, et al. Regulation of retinoic acid distribution is required for proximodistal patterning and outgrowth of the developing mouse limb. Dev Cell. 2004;6:411-22 pubmed..These observations suggest that RA acts as a morphogen to determine proximodistal identity, and that CYP26B1 prevents apoptosis and promotes chondrocyte maturation, in the developing limb. ..