Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Hoxb3
Description: homeobox B3
Alias: Hox-2.7, homeobox protein Hox-B3, homeo box B3, homeobox protein Hox-2.7, homeobox protein MH-23
- Magnusson M, Brun A, Lawrence H, Karlsson S. Hoxa9/hoxb3/hoxb4 compound null mice display severe hematopoietic defects. Exp Hematol. 2007;35:1421-8 pubmedMembers of the hox family of homeodomain-containing transcription factors, including hoxa9, hoxb3, and hoxb4 play an important role in the regulation of differentiation, proliferation and self-renewal of hematopoietic stem and progenitor ..
- McNeill E, Roos K, Moechars D, Clagett Dame M. Nav2 is necessary for cranial nerve development and blood pressure regulation. Neural Dev. 2010;5:6 pubmed publisher..Nav2 functions in mammalian nervous system development, and is required for normal cranial nerve development and blood pressure regulation in the adult. ..
- Manzanares M, Bel Vialar S, Ariza McNaughton L, Ferretti E, Marshall H, Maconochie M, et al. Independent regulation of initiation and maintenance phases of Hoxa3 expression in the vertebrate hindbrain involve auto- and cross-regulatory mechanisms. Development. 2001;128:3595-607 pubmed..Paralogous Hox genes, such as Hoxa3, Hoxb3 and Hoxd3, generally have very similar patterns of expression, and gene targeting experiments have shown that ..
- Theil T, Ariza McNaughton L, Manzanares M, Brodie J, Krumlauf R, Wilkinson D. Requirement for downregulation of kreisler during late patterning of the hindbrain. Development. 2002;129:1477-85 pubmed..In these transgenic mice, the Fgf3, Krox20, Hoxa3 and Hoxb3 genes have ectopic or prolonged expression domains in r3, indicating that it acquires molecular characteristics of ..
- Ko K, Lam Q, Zhang M, Wong C, Lo C, Kahmeyer Gabbe M, et al. Hoxb3 deficiency impairs B lymphopoiesis in mouse bone marrow. Exp Hematol. 2007;35:465-75 pubmed..In this study, we investigated the roles of Hoxb3 in hematopoiesis by examining the phenotypes of a Hoxb3 knockout mutant mouse line...
- Seitanidou T, Schneider Maunoury S, Desmarquet C, Wilkinson D, Charnay P. Krox-20 is a key regulator of rhombomere-specific gene expression in the developing hindbrain. Mech Dev. 1997;65:31-42 pubmed
- Sadl V, Sing A, Mar L, Jin F, Cordes S. Analysis of hindbrain patterning defects caused by the kreisler(enu) mutation reveals multiple roles of Kreisler in hindbrain segmentation. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:134-42 pubmed..Hence, Kreisler regulates maintenance and expansion of r5 and specification of r6 but is not required for r3 development. ..
- Akasaka T, Kanno M, Balling R, Mieza M, Taniguchi M, Koseki H. A role for mel-18, a Polycomb group-related vertebrate gene, during theanteroposterior specification of the axial skeleton. Development. 1996;122:1513-22 pubmed
- Ye A, Kim H, Kim J. PEG3 control on the mammalian MSL complex. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178363 pubmed publisher..Overall, the current study reports that Peg3 may control its downstream genes through mammalian MSL. ..
- Brown W, Taylor G. The 5'-sequence of the murine Hox-b3 (Hox-2.7) gene and its intron contain multiple transcription-regulatory elements. Int J Biochem. 1994;26:1403-9 pubmed..The sequences we have identified may be responsible for the observed pattern of expression of the gene. This sequence and the clones from which it is derived will enable a molecular dissection of the P1 promoter region. ..
- Manley N, Capecchi M. The role of Hoxa-3 in mouse thymus and thyroid development. Development. 1995;121:1989-2003 pubmed..This variability suggests the presence of a compensating gene or genes, whose utilization is stochastic. A reasonable candidate for providing this compensatory function is the paralogous gene Hoxb-3. ..
- Chan K, Qi J, Sham M. Multiple coding and non-coding RNAs in the Hoxb3 locus and their spatial expression patterns during mouse embryogenesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;398:153-9 pubmed publisherb>Hoxb3 plays important roles in embryogenesis and it has a complex transcription profile of mRNAs, non-coding RNAs and anti-sense RNAs...
- Chan K, Chen Y, Yau T, Fu M, Lui V, Tam P, et al. Hoxb3 vagal neural crest-specific enhancer element for controlling enteric nervous system development. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:473-83 pubmed..The Hoxb3 gene is expressed in the vagal neural crest and in the enteric ganglia of the developing gut during embryogenesis...
- Isono K, Fujimura Y, Shinga J, Yamaki M, O Wang J, Takihara Y, et al. Mammalian polyhomeotic homologues Phc2 and Phc1 act in synergy to mediate polycomb repression of Hox genes. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:6694-706 pubmed..Functional redundancy between Phc2 and Phc1 leads us to hypothesize that the overall level of polyhomeotic orthologues in nuclei is a parameter that is critical in enabling the class II PcG complexes to exert their molecular functions. ..
- Hunt P, Gulisano M, Cook M, Sham M, Faiella A, Wilkinson D, et al. A distinct Hox code for the branchial region of the vertebrate head. Nature. 1991;353:861-4 pubmed
- Wang H, Shun M, Dickson A, ENGELMAN A. Embryonic Lethality Due to Arrested Cardiac Development in Psip1/Hdgfrp2 Double-Deficient Mice. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0137797 pubmed publisher..We accordingly speculate that deregulated Tgf-Î² signaling was a contributing factor to the VSD and prenatal lethality of Psip1/Hdgfrp2 double-deficient mice. ..
- Hunt P, Whiting J, Nonchev S, Sham M, Marshall H, Graham A, et al. The branchial Hox code and its implications for gene regulation, patterning of the nervous system and head evolution. Dev Suppl. 1991;Suppl 2:63-77 pubmed..1 and Hox-2.8 genes in the developing nervous system, supporting our in situ analysis and the idea of a Hox code. These transgenic experiments are a useful step in examining regulation in the Hox cascade. ..
- Wong E, Wang X, Mak S, Sae Pang J, Ling K, Fritzsch B, et al. Hoxb3 negatively regulates Hoxb1 expression in mouse hindbrain patterning. Dev Biol. 2011;352:382-92 pubmed publisher..Hox genes in hindbrain neuronal specification, we have generated a gain-of-function transgenic mouse mutant Hoxb3(Tg) using the Hoxb2 r4-specific enhancer element...
- Gould A, Morrison A, Sproat G, White R, Krumlauf R. Positive cross-regulation and enhancer sharing: two mechanisms for specifying overlapping Hox expression patterns. Genes Dev. 1997;11:900-13 pubmedVertebrate Hox genes display nested and overlapping patterns of expression. During mouse hindbrain development, Hoxb3 and Hoxb4 share an expression domain caudal to the boundary between rhombomeres 6 and 7...
- Wood H, Pall G, Morriss Kay G. Exposure to retinoic acid before or after the onset of somitogenesis reveals separate effects on rhombomeric segmentation and 3' HoxB gene expression domains. Development. 1994;120:2279-85 pubmed
- Yagi H, Deguchi K, Aono A, Tani Y, Kishimoto T, Komori T. Growth disturbance in fetal liver hematopoiesis of Mll-mutant mice. Blood. 1998;92:108-17 pubmed..These data show that the hematopoietic precursors were greatly reduced in mutant mice, and suggest that Mll functions as a regulator of the growth of hematopoietic precursors. ..
- Manzanares M, Cordes S, Ariza McNaughton L, Sadl V, Maruthainar K, Barsh G, et al. Conserved and distinct roles of kreisler in regulation of the paralogous Hoxa3 and Hoxb3 genes. Development. 1999;126:759-69 pubmed..The expression of the paralogous Hoxa3 and Hoxb3 genes extends from the posterior spinal cord up to the rhombomere (r) 4/5 boundary and both genes are upregulated ..
- Dolle P, Lufkin T, Krumlauf R, Mark M, Duboule D, Chambon P. Local alterations of Krox-20 and Hox gene expression in the hindbrain suggest lack of rhombomeres 4 and 5 in homozygote null Hoxa-1 (Hox-1.6) mutant embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:7666-70 pubmed..These alterations coincide with the region that is subsequently affected in Hoxa-1 null mutant mice and suggest that the primary defects in this mutation are spatially restricted deletions of some rhombomeric structures. ..
- Minoux M, Antonarakis G, Kmita M, Duboule D, Rijli F. Rostral and caudal pharyngeal arches share a common neural crest ground pattern. Development. 2009;136:637-45 pubmed publisher..These results provide insights into how facial and throat structures are assembled during development, and have implications for the evolution of the pharyngeal region of the vertebrate head. ..
- Madan V, Madan B, Brykczynska U, Zilbermann F, Hogeveen K, Dohner K, et al. Impaired function of primitive hematopoietic cells in mice lacking the Mixed-Lineage-Leukemia homolog MLL5. Blood. 2009;113:1444-54 pubmed publisher..Together, these in vivo findings establish several nonredundant functions for Mll5, including an essential role in regulating proliferation and functional integrity of hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells. ..
- Manley N, Capecchi M. Hox group 3 paralogs regulate the development and migration of the thymus, thyroid, and parathyroid glands. Dev Biol. 1998;195:1-15 pubmed..Hoxa3 mutant homozygotes have defects in the development of all three organs. Roles for the Hoxa3 paralogs, Hoxb3 and Hoxd3, were investigated by examining various mutant combinations...
- di Meglio T, Kratochwil C, Vilain N, Loche A, Vitobello A, Yonehara K, et al. Ezh2 orchestrates topographic migration and connectivity of mouse precerebellar neurons. Science. 2013;339:204-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, Ezh2-dependent epigenetic regulation of intrinsic and extrinsic transcriptional programs controls topographic neuronal guidance and connectivity in the cortico-ponto-cerebellar pathway. ..
- Manzanares M, Cordes S, Kwan C, Sham M, Barsh G, Krumlauf R. Segmental regulation of Hoxb-3 by kreisler. Nature. 1997;387:191-5 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that Krml1 directly activates expression of Hoxb-3 in r5 in combination with an Ets-related activation site, and suggest that kreisler plays a primary role in regulating segmental identity through Hox genes. ..
- Voss A, Collin C, Dixon M, Thomas T. Moz and retinoic acid coordinately regulate H3K9 acetylation, Hox gene expression, and segment identity. Dev Cell. 2009;17:674-86 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data show that Moz regulates H3K9 acetylation at Hox gene loci and that RA can act independently of Moz to establish specific Hox gene expression boundaries. ..
- Li P, Pashmforoush M, Sucov H. Retinoic acid regulates differentiation of the secondary heart field and TGFbeta-mediated outflow tract septation. Dev Cell. 2010;18:480-5 pubmed publisher..This may be a common pathogenic pathway when second heart field and septation defects are coupled. ..
- Moisan V, Bomgardner D, Tremblay J. Expression of the Ladybird-like homeobox 2 transcription factor in the developing mouse testis and epididymis. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:22 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data suggest that the homeoprotein Lbx2 might be involved in the regulation of male reproductive system development and cell differentiation as well as in male epididymal segmentation. ..
- Kwan C, Tsang S, Krumlauf R, Sham M. Regulatory analysis of the mouse Hoxb3 gene: multiple elements work in concert to direct temporal and spatial patterns of expression. Dev Biol. 2001;232:176-90 pubmedThe expression pattern of the mouse Hoxb3 gene is exceptionally complex and dynamic compared with that of other members of the Hoxb cluster...
- Rubock M, Larin Z, Cook M, Papalopulu N, Krumlauf R, Lehrach H. A yeast artificial chromosome containing the mouse homeobox cluster Hox-2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:4751-5 pubmed..The YAC will enable us to construct modified forms of the Hox-2 cluster in yeast and to identify their effect on the phenotype of the animal in transgenic mouse strains. ..
- Lonai P, Arman E, Czosnek H, Ruddle F, Blatt C. New murine homeoboxes: structure, chromosomal assignment, and differential expression in adult erythropoiesis. DNA. 1987;6:409-18 pubmed..All four homeoboxes are expressed in the mouse embryo. Of special interest is the expression of mh19, a 4.2-kb transcript of which appears to be connected to the induced differentiation of Friend erythroleukemia cells. ..
- Dupé V, Davenne M, Brocard J, Dolle P, Mark M, Dierich A, et al. In vivo functional analysis of the Hoxa-1 3' retinoic acid response element (3'RARE). Development. 1997;124:399-410 pubmed..Interestingly, although the RARE is not required for the spatiotemporal control of colinear expression of the Hoxa genes, it is absolutely required for correct Hoxa-2 expression in rhombomere 5. ..
- Akasaka T, van Lohuizen M, van der Lugt N, Mizutani Koseki Y, Kanno M, Taniguchi M, et al. Mice doubly deficient for the Polycomb Group genes Mel18 and Bmi1 reveal synergy and requirement for maintenance but not initiation of Hox gene expression. Development. 2001;128:1587-97 pubmed..Furthermore, we show an unexpected requirement for Mel18 and Bmi1 gene products to maintain stable expression of Hox cluster genes in regions caudal to the prospective anterior expression boundaries during subsequent development. ..
- Medina Martinez O, Bradley A, Ramirez Solis R. A large targeted deletion of Hoxb1-Hoxb9 produces a series of single-segment anterior homeotic transformations. Dev Biol. 2000;222:71-83 pubmed..Thus, Hoxb13 expression seems to be independent of the deleted region, suggesting that its expression pattern could be achieved independent of the colinear pattern of the cluster or by a regulatory element located 5' of Hoxb9. ..
- Cordes R, Schuster Gossler K, Serth K, Gossler A. Specification of vertebral identity is coupled to Notch signalling and the segmentation clock. Development. 2004;131:1221-33 pubmed..Together, these results provide genetic evidence that precisely regulated levels of Notch activity as well as cyclic Lfng activity are critical for positional specification of the anteroposterior body axis in the paraxial mesoderm. ..
- Graham A, Papalopulu N, Krumlauf R. The murine and Drosophila homeobox gene complexes have common features of organization and expression. Cell. 1989;57:367-78 pubmed..Our results argue that these complexes arose from a common ancestor, present before the divergence of lineages that gave rise to arthropods and vertebrates. ..
- Condie B, Capecchi M. Mice with targeted disruptions in the paralogous genes hoxa-3 and hoxd-3 reveal synergistic interactions. Nature. 1994;370:304-7 pubmed..These observations are interpreted in terms of a model in which these Hox genes differentially regulate the proliferation rates of the appropriate sets of precursor cells. ..
- Frohman M, Martin G, Cordes S, Halamek L, Barsh G. Altered rhombomere-specific gene expression and hyoid bone differentiation in the mouse segmentation mutant, kreisler (kr). Development. 1993;117:925-36 pubmed
- Nazarali A, Kim Y, Nirenberg M. Hox-1.11 and Hox-4.9 homeobox genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:2883-7 pubmed..3 and Hox-4.2 genomic DNA revealed some differences in nucleotide sequences and in the deduced homeodomain amino acid sequences compared with the sequences that have been reported. ..
- Yau T, Kwan C, Jakt L, Stallwood N, Cordes S, Sham M. Auto/cross-regulation of Hoxb3 expression in posterior hindbrain and spinal cord. Dev Biol. 2002;252:287-300 pubmedThe complex and dynamic pattern of Hoxb3 expression in the developing hindbrain and the associated neural crest of mouse embryos is controlled by three separate cis-regulatory elements: element I (region A), element IIIa, and the r5 ..
- Moens C, Selleri L. Hox cofactors in vertebrate development. Dev Biol. 2006;291:193-206 pubmed
- Gaufo G, Thomas K, Capecchi M. Hox3 genes coordinate mechanisms of genetic suppression and activation in the generation of branchial and somatic motoneurons. Development. 2003;130:5191-201 pubmed..We demonstrate that in r5, the combined mutation of Hoxa3 and Hoxb3 result in a loss of Pax6- and Olig2-expressing progenitors that give rise to somatic motoneurons of the abducens ..
- Guris D, Duester G, Papaioannou V, Imamoto A. Dose-dependent interaction of Tbx1 and Crkl and locally aberrant RA signaling in a model of del22q11 syndrome. Dev Cell. 2006;10:81-92 pubmed..Thus, we suggest that del22q11 is a contiguous gene syndrome involving dose-sensitive interaction of CRKL and TBX1 and locally aberrant RA signaling. ..
- Wilkinson D, Bhatt S, Cook M, Boncinelli E, Krumlauf R. Segmental expression of Hox-2 homoeobox-containing genes in the developing mouse hindbrain. Nature. 1989;341:405-9 pubmed..These data indicate that Hox genes specify segment phenotype, a role analogous to that of their Drosophila homologues. ..
- Isono K, Endo T, Ku M, Yamada D, Suzuki R, Sharif J, et al. SAM domain polymerization links subnuclear clustering of PRC1 to gene silencing. Dev Cell. 2013;26:565-77 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a regulatory mechanism mediated by SAM domain polymerization for PcG-mediated repression of developmental loci that enables a robust yet reversible gene repression program during development. ..
- Ahn Y, Mullan H, Krumlauf R. Long-range regulation by shared retinoic acid response elements modulates dynamic expression of posterior Hoxb genes in CNS development. Dev Biol. 2014;388:134-44 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that multiple RAREs cooperate to remotely regulate 5? Hoxb genes during CNS development, providing a new insight into the mechanisms for gene regulation within the Hox clusters. ..
- Hunt P, Wilkinson D, Krumlauf R. Patterning the vertebrate head: murine Hox 2 genes mark distinct subpopulations of premigratory and migrating cranial neural crest. Development. 1991;112:43-50 pubmed
- Sham M, Hunt P, Nonchev S, Papalopulu N, Graham A, Boncinelli E, et al. Analysis of the murine Hox-2.7 gene: conserved alternative transcripts with differential distributions in the nervous system and the potential for shared regulatory regions. EMBO J. 1992;11:1825-36 pubmed..6 gene and the expression of transgenic and endogenous transcripts in a Hox-2.8 pattern, suggest that regulatory elements may be shared by neighbouring genes to establish the complete expression pattern. ..
- Collins E, Appert A, Ariza McNaughton L, Pannell R, Yamada Y, Rabbitts T. Mouse Af9 is a controller of embryo patterning, like Mll, whose human homologue fuses with Af9 after chromosomal translocation in leukemia. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:7313-24 pubmed..This is analogous to the role of Mll, the murine homolog of human MLL, to which the Af9 gene fuses in acute myeloid leukemias. ..
- Isono K, Mizutani Koseki Y, Komori T, Schmidt Zachmann M, Koseki H. Mammalian polycomb-mediated repression of Hox genes requires the essential spliceosomal protein Sf3b1. Genes Dev. 2005;19:536-41 pubmed..Importantly, the levels of Sf3b1 in PcG complexes were decreased in Sf3b1-heterozygous embryos. These findings suggest that Sf3b1-PcG protein interaction is essential for true PcG-mediated repression of Hox genes. ..