Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Hoxb2
Description: homeobox B2
Alias: AI894218, Hox-2.8, Hoxbes2, homeobox protein Hox-B2, homeo box B2, homeobox protein Hox-2.8
- Goddard J, Rossel M, Manley N, Capecchi M. Mice with targeted disruption of Hoxb-1 fail to form the motor nucleus of the VIIth nerve. Development. 1996;122:3217-28 pubmed..These animals should therefore provide a useful animal model for these human diseases. ..
- Davenne M, Maconochie M, Neun R, Pattyn A, Chambon P, Krumlauf R, et al. Hoxa2 and Hoxb2 control dorsoventral patterns of neuronal development in the rostral hindbrain. Neuron. 1999;22:677-91 pubmed..Hoxa2 and Hoxb2 differentially regulate, in a rhombomere-specific manner, the expression of several genes in broad D-V-restricted ..
- Maconochie M, Nonchev S, Studer M, Chan S, Popperl H, Sham M, et al. Cross-regulation in the mouse HoxB complex: the expression of Hoxb2 in rhombomere 4 is regulated by Hoxb1. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1885-95 pubmed..We have examined the molecular basis of restricted expression of Hoxb2 in rhombomere 4 (r4), by using deletion analysis in transgenic mice to identify an r4 enhancer from the mouse gene...
- Roelen B, de Graaff W, Forlani S, Deschamps J. Hox cluster polarity in early transcriptional availability: a high order regulatory level of clustered Hox genes in the mouse. Mech Dev. 2002;119:81-90 pubmed..to initial expression of the first Hox gene, a dramatic transcriptional stimulation of the 3'most genes, Hoxb1 and Hoxb2, is observed upon a short pulse of exogenous retinoic acid (RA), whereas it is not in the case for more 5', ..
- Wong E, Wang X, Mak S, Sae Pang J, Ling K, Fritzsch B, et al. Hoxb3 negatively regulates Hoxb1 expression in mouse hindbrain patterning. Dev Biol. 2011;352:382-92 pubmed publisher..hindbrain neuronal specification, we have generated a gain-of-function transgenic mouse mutant Hoxb3(Tg) using the Hoxb2 r4-specific enhancer element...
- Gendron Maguire M, Mallo M, Zhang M, Gridley T. Hoxa-2 mutant mice exhibit homeotic transformation of skeletal elements derived from cranial neural crest. Cell. 1993;75:1317-31 pubmed..Skeletal elements normally derived from the second arch were absent in the mutants. These data provide direct experimental evidence for the existence of a branchial Hox code. ..
- Rossel M, Capecchi M. Mice mutant for both Hoxa1 and Hoxb1 show extensive remodeling of the hindbrain and defects in craniofacial development. Development. 1999;126:5027-40 pubmed
- Matis C, Oury F, Remacle S, Lampe X, Gofflot F, Picard J, et al. Identification of Lmo1 as part of a Hox-dependent regulatory network for hindbrain patterning. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2675-84 pubmed..By analysing its expression in Hox knockout mice, we show that Lmo1 is differentially regulated by Hoxa2 and Hoxb2, in specific columns of hindbrain neuronal progenitors...
- Nardelli J, Thiesson D, Fujiwara Y, Tsai F, Orkin S. Expression and genetic interaction of transcription factors GATA-2 and GATA-3 during development of the mouse central nervous system. Dev Biol. 1999;210:305-21 pubmed
- Satoh W, Gotoh T, Tsunematsu Y, Aizawa S, Shimono A. Sfrp1 and Sfrp2 regulate anteroposterior axis elongation and somite segmentation during mouse embryogenesis. Development. 2006;133:989-99 pubmed..This study suggests that Wnt regulation by Sfrp1 and Sfrp2 is required for embryonic patterning. ..
- Vesque C, Maconochie M, Nonchev S, Ariza McNaughton L, Kuroiwa A, Charnay P, et al. Hoxb-2 transcriptional activation in rhombomeres 3 and 5 requires an evolutionarily conserved cis-acting element in addition to the Krox-20 binding site. EMBO J. 1996;15:5383-96 pubmed..Box1 may therefore constitute a recognition sequence for another factor cooperating with Krox-20. Taken together, these data demonstrate the conservation of Hox gene regulation and of Krox-20 function during vertebrate evolution. ..
- Rubock M, Larin Z, Cook M, Papalopulu N, Krumlauf R, Lehrach H. A yeast artificial chromosome containing the mouse homeobox cluster Hox-2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:4751-5 pubmed..The YAC will enable us to construct modified forms of the Hox-2 cluster in yeast and to identify their effect on the phenotype of the animal in transgenic mouse strains. ..
- Hunt P, Wilkinson D, Krumlauf R. Patterning the vertebrate head: murine Hox 2 genes mark distinct subpopulations of premigratory and migrating cranial neural crest. Development. 1991;112:43-50 pubmed
- Ferretti E, Li B, Zewdu R, Wells V, Hebert J, Karner C, et al. A conserved Pbx-Wnt-p63-Irf6 regulatory module controls face morphogenesis by promoting epithelial apoptosis. Dev Cell. 2011;21:627-41 pubmed publisher..Dysregulation of this network leads to localized suppression of midfacial apoptosis and CL/P. Ectopic Wnt ectodermal expression in Pbx mutants rescues the clefting, opening avenues for tissue repair. ..
- Hunt P, Gulisano M, Cook M, Sham M, Faiella A, Wilkinson D, et al. A distinct Hox code for the branchial region of the vertebrate head. Nature. 1991;353:861-4 pubmed
- Tomotsune D, Shirai M, Takihara Y, Shimada K. Regulation of Hoxb3 expression in the hindbrain and pharyngeal arches by rae28, a member of the mammalian Polycomb group of genes. Mech Dev. 2000;98:165-9 pubmed..Our results suggest that rae28 is not required for the establishment but maintenance of Hoxb3 expression. ..
- Gavalas A, Trainor P, Ariza McNaughton L, Krumlauf R. Synergy between Hoxa1 and Hoxb1: the relationship between arch patterning and the generation of cranial neural crest. Development. 2001;128:3017-27 pubmed..Furthermore, they demonstrate that early patterning of the separate components of the pharyngeal arches can proceed independently of neural crest cell migration. ..
- Medina Martinez O, Bradley A, Ramirez Solis R. A large targeted deletion of Hoxb1-Hoxb9 produces a series of single-segment anterior homeotic transformations. Dev Biol. 2000;222:71-83 pubmed..Thus, Hoxb13 expression seems to be independent of the deleted region, suggesting that its expression pattern could be achieved independent of the colinear pattern of the cluster or by a regulatory element located 5' of Hoxb9. ..
- Remacle S, Abbas L, De Backer O, Pacico N, Gavalas A, Gofflot F, et al. Loss of function but no gain of function caused by amino acid substitutions in the hexapeptide of Hoxa1 in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8567-75 pubmed
- Prabagaran E, Bandivdekar A, Dighe V, Raghavan V. HOXBES2: a novel epididymal HOXB2 homeoprotein and its domain-specific association with spermatozoa. Biol Reprod. 2007;76:314-26 pubmed..It resulted in a full-length 1.657-kb cDNA encoding a 32.9-kDa putative protein. The protein designated HOXBES2 exhibited homology to the conserved 61-amino acid homeodomain region of the HOXB2 homeoprotein...
- Dolle P, Lufkin T, Krumlauf R, Mark M, Duboule D, Chambon P. Local alterations of Krox-20 and Hox gene expression in the hindbrain suggest lack of rhombomeres 4 and 5 in homozygote null Hoxa-1 (Hox-1.6) mutant embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:7666-70 pubmed..These alterations coincide with the region that is subsequently affected in Hoxa-1 null mutant mice and suggest that the primary defects in this mutation are spatially restricted deletions of some rhombomeric structures. ..
- Obama H, Matsubara S, Guenet J, Muramatsu T. The midkine (MK) family of growth/differentiation factors: structure of an MK-related sequence in a pseudogene and evolutionary relationships among members of the MK family. J Biochem. 1994;115:516-22 pubmed..Thus, so far there are only two established protein members, MK and heparin-binding, growth-associated molecule (HB-GAM)/pleiotrophin (PTN) in the MK family. ..
- Helmbacher F, Pujades C, Desmarquet C, Frain M, Rijli F, Chambon P, et al. Hoxa1 and Krox-20 synergize to control the development of rhombomere 3. Development. 1998;125:4739-48 pubmed..In addition, these data suggest that the control of the development of r3 may not be autonomous but dependent on interactions with Hoxa1-expressing cells. ..
- Dupé V, Davenne M, Brocard J, Dolle P, Mark M, Dierich A, et al. In vivo functional analysis of the Hoxa-1 3' retinoic acid response element (3'RARE). Development. 1997;124:399-410 pubmed..Interestingly, although the RARE is not required for the spatiotemporal control of colinear expression of the Hoxa genes, it is absolutely required for correct Hoxa-2 expression in rhombomere 5. ..
- Boimel P, Cruz C, Segall J. A functional in vivo screen for regulators of tumor progression identifies HOXB2 as a regulator of tumor growth in breast cancer. Genomics. 2011;98:164-72 pubmed publisher..Homeobox genes have been correlated with cancer patient prognosis and tumorigenesis. Here we use a novel in vivo shRNA screen to identify a new role for a homeobox gene in human mammary adenocarcinoma. ..
- Bogue C, Lou L, Vasavada H, Wilson C, Jacobs H. Expression of Hoxb genes in the developing mouse foregut and lung. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 1996;15:163-71 pubmed
- Di Bonito M, Narita Y, Avallone B, Sequino L, Mancuso M, Andolfi G, et al. Assembly of the auditory circuitry by a Hox genetic network in the mouse brainstem. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003249 pubmed publisher..auditory components is involved in sound perception and depends on regulatory interactions between Hoxb1 and Hoxb2. Indeed, in Hoxb1 and Hoxb2 mutant mice the transmission of low-level auditory stimuli is lost, resulting in ..
- Miguez A, Ducret S, di Meglio T, Parras C, Hmidan H, Haton C, et al. Opposing roles for Hoxa2 and Hoxb2 in hindbrain oligodendrocyte patterning. J Neurosci. 2012;32:17172-85 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that segmental organization of oligodendrocytes is controlled by Hox genes, namely Hoxa2 and Hoxb2. Specifically, Hoxa2 loss of function induced a dorsoventral enlargement of the Olig2/Nkx2...
- Karmakar K, Narita Y, Fadok J, Ducret S, Loche A, Kitazawa T, et al. Hox2 Genes Are Required for Tonotopic Map Precision and Sound Discrimination in the Mouse Auditory Brainstem. Cell Rep. 2017;18:185-197 pubmed publisher..We found that in the absence of Hoxa2 and Hoxb2 function in Atoh1-derived glutamatergic bushy cells of the anterior ventral cochlear nucleus, broad input ..
- Detmer K, Lawrence H, Largman C. Expression of class I homeobox genes in fetal and adult murine skin. J Invest Dermatol. 1993;101:517-22 pubmed..The amount of Hoxb-4, -b-2, and -c-4 message in skin is relatively constant from the earliest gestational day examined (day 16) through birth at day 19. Expression of several homeobox genes is also seen in adult skin. ..
- Frohman M, Martin G, Cordes S, Halamek L, Barsh G. Altered rhombomere-specific gene expression and hyoid bone differentiation in the mouse segmentation mutant, kreisler (kr). Development. 1993;117:925-36 pubmed
- Voss A, Collin C, Dixon M, Thomas T. Moz and retinoic acid coordinately regulate H3K9 acetylation, Hox gene expression, and segment identity. Dev Cell. 2009;17:674-86 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data show that Moz regulates H3K9 acetylation at Hox gene loci and that RA can act independently of Moz to establish specific Hox gene expression boundaries. ..
- Moisan V, Bomgardner D, Tremblay J. Expression of the Ladybird-like homeobox 2 transcription factor in the developing mouse testis and epididymis. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:22 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data suggest that the homeoprotein Lbx2 might be involved in the regulation of male reproductive system development and cell differentiation as well as in male epididymal segmentation. ..
- Vesque C, Topilko P, Becker N, Charnay P. [Molecular analysis of the development of the rhombencephalon]. C R Seances Soc Biol Fil. 1993;187:364-7 pubmed
- Schneider Maunoury S, Topilko P, Seitandou T, Levi G, Cohen Tannoudji M, Pournin S, et al. Disruption of Krox-20 results in alteration of rhombomeres 3 and 5 in the developing hindbrain. Cell. 1993;75:1199-214 pubmed..We conclude that Krox-20, although not required for the initial delimitation of r3 and r5, plays an important role in the process of segmentation governing hindbrain development. ..
- Zhai J, Lin H, Canete Soler R, Schlaepfer W. HoxB2 binds mutant SOD1 and is altered in transgenic model of ALS. Hum Mol Genet. 2005;14:2629-40 pubmed..Here, we report the identification of HoxB2, a homeodomain-containing transcription factor, as a G93A mutant SOD1 interactive protein in a yeast two-hybrid ..
- Minoux M, Antonarakis G, Kmita M, Duboule D, Rijli F. Rostral and caudal pharyngeal arches share a common neural crest ground pattern. Development. 2009;136:637-45 pubmed publisher..These results provide insights into how facial and throat structures are assembled during development, and have implications for the evolution of the pharyngeal region of the vertebrate head. ..
- Sham M, Hunt P, Nonchev S, Papalopulu N, Graham A, Boncinelli E, et al. Analysis of the murine Hox-2.7 gene: conserved alternative transcripts with differential distributions in the nervous system and the potential for shared regulatory regions. EMBO J. 1992;11:1825-36 pubmed..6 gene and the expression of transgenic and endogenous transcripts in a Hox-2.8 pattern, suggest that regulatory elements may be shared by neighbouring genes to establish the complete expression pattern. ..
- Hunt P, Whiting J, Nonchev S, Sham M, Marshall H, Graham A, et al. The branchial Hox code and its implications for gene regulation, patterning of the nervous system and head evolution. Dev Suppl. 1991;Suppl 2:63-77 pubmed..1 and Hox-2.8 genes in the developing nervous system, supporting our in situ analysis and the idea of a Hox code. These transgenic experiments are a useful step in examining regulation in the Hox cascade. ..
- McKay I, Muchamore I, Krumlauf R, Maden M, Lumsden A, Lewis J. The kreisler mouse: a hindbrain segmentation mutant that lacks two rhombomeres. Development. 1994;120:2199-211 pubmed..An interpretation is that the cells that would normally become specified at an early stage as r5 and r6 adopt an r4 character instead, producing an excess of r4 cells that is disposed of subsequently by cell death. ..
- Biechele S, Cox B, Rossant J. Porcupine homolog is required for canonical Wnt signaling and gastrulation in mouse embryos. Dev Biol. 2011;355:275-85 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data confirm the importance of Porcn for Wnt secretion and gastrulation and suggest that disruption of early development underlies the male lethality of human PORCN mutants. ..
- Wood H, Pall G, Morriss Kay G. Exposure to retinoic acid before or after the onset of somitogenesis reveals separate effects on rhombomeric segmentation and 3' HoxB gene expression domains. Development. 1994;120:2279-85 pubmed
- Swiatek P, Gridley T. Perinatal lethality and defects in hindbrain development in mice homozygous for a targeted mutation of the zinc finger gene Krox20. Genes Dev. 1993;7:2071-84 pubmed..These data demonstrate that Krox20 plays an essential role during development of the hindbrain and associated cranial sensory ganglia in mice. ..
- Barna M, Hawe N, Niswander L, Pandolfi P. Plzf regulates limb and axial skeletal patterning. Nat Genet. 2000;25:166-72 pubmed..Plzf is therefore a mediator of anterior-to-posterior (AP) patterning in both the axial and appendicular skeleton and acts as a regulator of Hox gene expression. ..
- Jonk L, de Jonge M, Vervaart J, Wissink S, Kruijer W. Isolation and developmental expression of retinoic-acid-induced genes. Dev Biol. 1994;161:604-14 pubmed..The results confirm the usefulness of the P19 system in the isolation and study of the regulation of developmentally expressed genes. ..
- Wilkinson D, Bhatt S, Cook M, Boncinelli E, Krumlauf R. Segmental expression of Hox-2 homoeobox-containing genes in the developing mouse hindbrain. Nature. 1989;341:405-9 pubmed..These data indicate that Hox genes specify segment phenotype, a role analogous to that of their Drosophila homologues. ..
- Collins E, Appert A, Ariza McNaughton L, Pannell R, Yamada Y, Rabbitts T. Mouse Af9 is a controller of embryo patterning, like Mll, whose human homologue fuses with Af9 after chromosomal translocation in leukemia. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:7313-24 pubmed..This is analogous to the role of Mll, the murine homolog of human MLL, to which the Af9 gene fuses in acute myeloid leukemias. ..
- Ahn Y, Mullan H, Krumlauf R. Long-range regulation by shared retinoic acid response elements modulates dynamic expression of posterior Hoxb genes in CNS development. Dev Biol. 2014;388:134-44 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that multiple RAREs cooperate to remotely regulate 5? Hoxb genes during CNS development, providing a new insight into the mechanisms for gene regulation within the Hox clusters. ..
- Sham M, Vesque C, Nonchev S, Marshall H, Frain M, Gupta R, et al. The zinc finger gene Krox20 regulates HoxB2 (Hox2.8) during hindbrain segmentation. Cell. 1993;72:183-96 pubmed..In this paper, we show that the HoxB2 (Hox2...
- Trokovic N, Trokovic R, Mai P, Partanen J. Fgfr1 regulates patterning of the pharyngeal region. Genes Dev. 2003;17:141-53 pubmed..Our results indicate that Fgfr1 patterns the pharyngeal region to create a permissive environment for neural crest cell migration. ..