Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Hoxb1
Description: homeobox B1
Alias: Hox-2.9, homeobox protein Hox-B1, homeo box B1, homeobox protein Hox-2.9
- Rijli F, Mark M, Lakkaraju S, Dierich A, Dolle P, Chambon P. A homeotic transformation is generated in the rostral branchial region of the head by disruption of Hoxa-2, which acts as a selector gene. Cell. 1993;75:1333-49 pubmed..The ground pattern program appears to be modified in the mouse first arch by a Hox-independent process, whereas Hoxa-2 acts as a selector gene in the second arch. ..
- Pata I, Studer M, van Doorninck J, Briscoe J, Kuuse S, Engel J, et al. The transcription factor GATA3 is a downstream effector of Hoxb1 specification in rhombomere 4. Development. 1999;126:5523-31 pubmed..of GATA3 in ventral rhombomere (r) 4 is dependent on functional GATA2, which in turn is under the control of Hoxb1. In particular, the absence of Hoxb1 results in the loss of GATA2 expression in r4 and the absence of GATA2 ..
- Arenkiel B, Gaufo G, Capecchi M. Hoxb1 neural crest preferentially form glia of the PNS. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:379-86 pubmed..using the Cre/loxP system to drive the activation of different ROSA26 reporter alleles under the regulation of the hoxb1 locus...
- Gaufo G, Thomas K, Capecchi M. Hox3 genes coordinate mechanisms of genetic suppression and activation in the generation of branchial and somatic motoneurons. Development. 2003;130:5191-201 pubmed..of any combination of the Hox3 paralogous genes results in ectopic expression of the r4-specific determinant Hoxb1. This ectopic expression in turn results in the differentiation of r4-like facial branchiomotoneurons within this ..
- Gavalas A, Trainor P, Ariza McNaughton L, Krumlauf R. Synergy between Hoxa1 and Hoxb1: the relationship between arch patterning and the generation of cranial neural crest. Development. 2001;128:3017-27 pubmedHoxa1 and Hoxb1 have overlapping synergistic roles in patterning the hindbrain and cranial neural crest cells...
- Glaser S, Schaft J, Lubitz S, Vintersten K, van der Hoeven F, Tufteland K, et al. Multiple epigenetic maintenance factors implicated by the loss of Mll2 in mouse development. Development. 2006;133:1423-32 pubmed..Evidence for gene-specific regulation was also observed. Although Mox1 and Hoxb1 expression patterns were correctly established, they were not maintained in the absence of Mll2, whereas Wnt1 and ..
- Maricich S, Xia A, Mathes E, Wang V, Oghalai J, Fritzsch B, et al. Atoh1-lineal neurons are required for hearing and for the survival of neurons in the spiral ganglion and brainstem accessory auditory nuclei. J Neurosci. 2009;29:11123-33 pubmed publisher..We used the Cre-loxP system and two Cre-driver lines (Egr2(Cre) and Hoxb1(Cre)) to delete Atoh1 from different regions of the cochlear nucleus (CN) and accessory auditory nuclei (AAN)...
- Gavalas A, Davenne M, Lumsden A, Chambon P, Rijli F. Role of Hoxa-2 in axon pathfinding and rostral hindbrain patterning. Development. 1997;124:3693-702 pubmed..These results point to a novel role for Hoxa-2 in the control of r2-r3 motor axon guidance, and also suggest that its absence may lead to homeotic changes in the alar plates of these rhombomeres. ..
- Barrow J, Capecchi M. Targeted disruption of the Hoxb-2 locus in mice interferes with expression of Hoxb-1 and Hoxb-4. Development. 1996;122:3817-28 pubmed..Hoxb-2 and hoxb-4 appear to function together to mediate proper closure of the ventral thoracic body wall. Failure in this closure results in severe defects of the sternum. ..
- Pattyn A, Vallstedt A, Dias J, Samad O, Krumlauf R, Rijli F, et al. Coordinated temporal and spatial control of motor neuron and serotonergic neuron generation from a common pool of CNS progenitors. Genes Dev. 2003;17:729-37 pubmed..These findings assign new roles for Nkx, Hox, and Phox2 proteins in the control of temporal neuronal fate determination, and link spatial and temporal patterning of CNS neuronal fates. ..
- Gaufo G, Wu S, Capecchi M. Contribution of Hox genes to the diversity of the hindbrain sensory system. Development. 2004;131:1259-66 pubmed..More generally, these findings contribute to our understanding of how Hox genes specifically control cellular diversity in the developing organism ..
- Gaufo G, Flodby P, Capecchi M. Hoxb1 controls effectors of sonic hedgehog and Mash1 signaling pathways. Development. 2000;127:5343-54 pubmed..Analyses of the expression and targeted disruption of the homeobox gene Hoxb1 demonstrate that it is essential for patterning progenitor cells along the entire DV axis of rhombomere 4 (r4)...
- Tvrdik P, Capecchi M. Reversal of Hox1 gene subfunctionalization in the mouse. Dev Cell. 2006;11:239-50 pubmedIn vertebrates, paralogous Hox genes play diverse biological roles. We examined the interchangeability of Hoxa1 and Hoxb1 in mouse development by swapping their protein-coding regions...
- Maconochie M, Nonchev S, Studer M, Chan S, Popperl H, Sham M, et al. Cross-regulation in the mouse HoxB complex: the expression of Hoxb2 in rhombomere 4 is regulated by Hoxb1. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1885-95 pubmed..within this enhancer, and in vitro DNA binding experiments showed that the vertebrate labial-related protein Hoxb1 will cooperatively bind to this site in a Pbx/Exd-dependent manner...
- Conlon R, Rossant J. Exogenous retinoic acid rapidly induces anterior ectopic expression of murine Hox-2 genes in vivo. Development. 1992;116:357-68 pubmed
- Wilkinson D, Bhatt S, Cook M, Boncinelli E, Krumlauf R. Segmental expression of Hox-2 homoeobox-containing genes in the developing mouse hindbrain. Nature. 1989;341:405-9 pubmed..These data indicate that Hox genes specify segment phenotype, a role analogous to that of their Drosophila homologues. ..
- Studer M, Lumsden A, Ariza McNaughton L, Bradley A, Krumlauf R. Altered segmental identity and abnormal migration of motor neurons in mice lacking Hoxb-1. Nature. 1996;384:630-4 pubmed..These results demonstrate that, as a part of its role in maintaining rhombomere identity, Hoxb-1 is involved in controlling migratory properties of motor neurons in the hindbrain. ..
- Jacob J, Ferri A, Milton C, Prin F, Pla P, Lin W, et al. Transcriptional repression coordinates the temporal switch from motor to serotonergic neurogenesis. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:1433-9 pubmed..Moreover, the subsequent differentiation of central serotonergic neurons required both the suppression of VMN neurogenesis and the induction of downstream intrinsic determinants of serotonergic identity by Foxa2. ..
- Marshall H, Studer M, Popperl H, Aparicio S, Kuroiwa A, Brenner S, et al. A conserved retinoic acid response element required for early expression of the homeobox gene Hoxb-1. Nature. 1994;370:567-71 pubmed..Point mutations in the RARE abolish expression in neuroectoderm. Therefore, this RARE is not only involved in the ectopic response to retinoic acid, but is also essential for establishing aspects of the early Hoxb-1 expression pattern...
- Garel S, Garcia Dominguez M, Charnay P. Control of the migratory pathway of facial branchiomotor neurones. Development. 2000;127:5297-307 pubmed..In addition, they establish a close correlation between the expression pattern of fbm neurones and their migratory behaviour, suggesting that modifications in gene expression participate in the selection of the local migratory pathway. ..
- O GORMAN S. Second branchial arch lineages of the middle ear of wild-type and Hoxa2 mutant mice. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:124-31 pubmed..The dorsoventral positions at which second arch skeletal elements formed and the early migration of second arch neural crest cells were not altered by the absence of Hoxa2 function. ..
- Gouti M, Gavalas A. Hoxb1 controls cell fate specification and proliferative capacity of neural stem and progenitor cells. Stem Cells. 2008;26:1985-97 pubmed publisher..We report that timely induction of a Hoxb1 transgene in ESC-derived NSCs resulted in the specification of NSCs toward a hindbrain-specific identity through ..
- Gavalas A, Ruhrberg C, Livet J, Henderson C, Krumlauf R. Neuronal defects in the hindbrain of Hoxa1, Hoxb1 and Hoxb2 mutants reflect regulatory interactions among these Hox genes. Development. 2003;130:5663-79 pubmed..patterning in the hindbrain, we analysed neurogenesis, neuronal differentiation and motoneuron migration in Hoxa1, Hoxb1 and Hoxb2 mutant mice...
- Studer M, Popperl H, Marshall H, Kuroiwa A, Krumlauf R. Role of a conserved retinoic acid response element in rhombomere restriction of Hoxb-1. Science. 1994;265:1728-32 pubmed..Retinoids and their nuclear receptors may therefore participate in sharpening segment-restricted expression of Hoxb-1 during rhombomere boundary formation. ..
- Vitobello A, Ferretti E, Lampe X, Vilain N, Ducret S, Ori M, et al. Hox and Pbx factors control retinoic acid synthesis during hindbrain segmentation. Dev Cell. 2011;20:469-82 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a feed-forward mechanism linking Hox-Pbx-dependent RA synthesis during early axial patterning with the establishment of spatially restricted Hox-Pbx activity in the developing hindbrain. ..
- Kessel M. Reversal of axonal pathways from rhombomere 3 correlates with extra Hox expression domains. Neuron. 1993;10:379-93 pubmed..Here r3 axons turned in the opposite direction and exited as facial nerves from r4. These changes of neuroectodermal fates indicate a linkage between axonal pathfinding and intrinsic neuronal specification by Hox codes. ..
- Goddard J, Rossel M, Manley N, Capecchi M. Mice with targeted disruption of Hoxb-1 fail to form the motor nucleus of the VIIth nerve. Development. 1996;122:3217-28 pubmed..These animals should therefore provide a useful animal model for these human diseases. ..
- Guo Q, Li J. Distinct functions of the major Fgf8 spliceform, Fgf8b, before and during mouse gastrulation. Development. 2007;134:2251-60 pubmed
- Hunt P, Wilkinson D, Krumlauf R. Patterning the vertebrate head: murine Hox 2 genes mark distinct subpopulations of premigratory and migrating cranial neural crest. Development. 1991;112:43-50 pubmed
- Di Bonito M, Boulland J, Krezel W, Setti E, Studer M, Glover J. Loss of Projections, Functional Compensation, and Residual Deficits in the Mammalian Vestibulospinal System of Hoxb1-Deficient Mice. Eneuro. 2015;2: pubmed publisher..Here, we use transgenic mouse tools to investigate the role of the gene Hoxb1 in the developmental patterning of vestibular projection neurons, with particular focus on the lateral ..
- Ferretti E, Li B, Zewdu R, Wells V, Hebert J, Karner C, et al. A conserved Pbx-Wnt-p63-Irf6 regulatory module controls face morphogenesis by promoting epithelial apoptosis. Dev Cell. 2011;21:627-41 pubmed publisher..Dysregulation of this network leads to localized suppression of midfacial apoptosis and CL/P. Ectopic Wnt ectodermal expression in Pbx mutants rescues the clefting, opening avenues for tissue repair. ..
- Sirbu I, Gresh L, Barra J, Duester G. Shifting boundaries of retinoic acid activity control hindbrain segmental gene expression. Development. 2005;132:2611-22 pubmed..by Raldh2 in paraxial mesoderm is required for specification of the posterior hindbrain, including restriction of Hoxb1 expression to presumptive rhombomere 4 (r4)...
- Khlebodarova T, Malchenko S, Matveeva N, Pack S, Sokolova O, Alabiev B, et al. Chromosomal and regional localization of the loci for IGKC, IGGC, ALDB, HOXB, GPT, and PRNP in the American mink (Mustela vison): comparisons with human and mouse. Mamm Genome. 1995;6:705-9 pubmed
- Andersson O, Reissmann E, Ibanez C. Growth differentiation factor 11 signals through the transforming growth factor-beta receptor ALK5 to regionalize the anterior-posterior axis. EMBO Rep. 2006;7:831-7 pubmed..Thus, the transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) receptor ALK5, which until now has only been associated with the biological functions of TGF-beta1 to TGF-beta3 proteins, mediates GDF11 signalling during embryogenesis. ..
- Yamaguchi Y, Tanaka S, Kumagai M, Fujimoto Y, Terabayashi T, Matsui Y, et al. Sall4 is essential for mouse primordial germ cell specification by suppressing somatic cell program genes. Stem Cells. 2015;33:289-300 pubmed publisher..In Sall4(del/del) PGC progenitors, somatic cell program genes (Hoxa1 and Hoxb1) were derepressed, while activation of the stem cell program was not impaired...
- Hauser C, Joyner A, Klein R, Learned T, Martin G, Tjian R. Expression of homologous homeo-box-containing genes in differentiated human teratocarcinoma cells and mouse embryos. Cell. 1985;43:19-28 pubmed..In contrast, mouse teratocarcinoma cells did not express Mu1 homeo-box-containing mRNA at any stage of differentiation, whereas the expression of such transcripts was detected in mouse embryos from 10 to 17 days of gestation. ..
- Xu P, Zheng W, Laclef C, Maire P, Maas R, Peters H, et al. Eya1 is required for the morphogenesis of mammalian thymus, parathyroid and thyroid. Development. 2002;129:3033-44 pubmed..5 in Eya1(-/-) embryos. Our results indicate that Eya1 controls critical early inductive events involved in the morphogenesis of thymus, parathyroid and thyroid. ..
- Hitoshi S, Tropepe V, Ekker M, van der Kooy D. Neural stem cell lineages are regionally specified, but not committed, within distinct compartments of the developing brain. Development. 2002;129:233-44 pubmed..Thus, neural stem cells and their progeny are regionally specified in the developing brain, but this regional identity can be altered by local inductive cues. ..
- Nardelli J, Thiesson D, Fujiwara Y, Tsai F, Orkin S. Expression and genetic interaction of transcription factors GATA-2 and GATA-3 during development of the mouse central nervous system. Dev Biol. 1999;210:305-21 pubmed
- Dufort D, Schwartz L, Harpal K, Rossant J. The transcription factor HNF3beta is required in visceral endoderm for normal primitive streak morphogenesis. Development. 1998;125:3015-25 pubmed..We show that such mutant embryos lack foregut and midgut endoderm. In addition, left-right asymmetry is affected in the mutant embryos. ..
- Di Bonito M, Narita Y, Avallone B, Sequino L, Mancuso M, Andolfi G, et al. Assembly of the auditory circuitry by a Hox genetic network in the mouse brainstem. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003249 pubmed publisher..the r4-derived auditory components is involved in sound perception and depends on regulatory interactions between Hoxb1 and Hoxb2...
- van Rooijen C, Simmini S, Bialecka M, Neijts R, van de Ven C, Beck F, et al. Evolutionarily conserved requirement of Cdx for post-occipital tissue emergence. Development. 2012;139:2576-83 pubmed publisher..Cdx requirement for the post-head section of the axis is ancestral as it takes place in arthropods as well. ..
- Ishikawa T, Tamai Y, Li Q, Oshima M, Taketo M. Requirement for tumor suppressor Apc in the morphogenesis of anterior and ventral mouse embryo. Dev Biol. 2003;253:230-46 pubmed..Our results provide genetic evidence that expression of Apc at the normal level is essential for both anterior and ventral development, in the epiblast derivatives and visceral endoderm. ..
- Trokovic N, Trokovic R, Mai P, Partanen J. Fgfr1 regulates patterning of the pharyngeal region. Genes Dev. 2003;17:141-53 pubmed..Our results indicate that Fgfr1 patterns the pharyngeal region to create a permissive environment for neural crest cell migration. ..
- Remacle S, Abbas L, De Backer O, Pacico N, Gavalas A, Gofflot F, et al. Loss of function but no gain of function caused by amino acid substitutions in the hexapeptide of Hoxa1 in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8567-75 pubmed
- Di Rocco G, Gavalas A, Popperl H, Krumlauf R, Mavilio F, Zappavigna V. The recruitment of SOX/OCT complexes and the differential activity of HOXA1 and HOXB1 modulate the Hoxb1 auto-regulatory enhancer function. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:20506-15 pubmed..One example is the Hoxb1 auto-regulatory element (b1-ARE), which drives expression of Hoxb1 in the fourth rhombomere of the hindbrain...
- Teo A, Arnold S, Trotter M, Brown S, Ang L, Chng Z, et al. Pluripotency factors regulate definitive endoderm specification through eomesodermin. Genes Dev. 2011;25:238-50 pubmed publisher..Together, these results provide for the first time a comprehensive molecular model connecting the transition from pluripotency to endoderm specification during mammalian development. ..
- Rayasam G, Wendling O, Angrand P, Mark M, Niederreither K, Song L, et al. NSD1 is essential for early post-implantation development and has a catalytically active SET domain. EMBO J. 2003;22:3153-63 pubmed..We have also examined the enzymatic potential of NSD1 and found that its SET domain possesses intrinsic histone methyltransferase activity with specificity for Lys36 of histone H3 (H3-K36) and Lys20 of histone H4 (H4-K20). ..
- Iratni R, Yan Y, Chen C, Ding J, Zhang Y, Price S, et al. Inhibition of excess nodal signaling during mouse gastrulation by the transcriptional corepressor DRAP1. Science. 2002;298:1996-9 pubmed..We propose that DRAP1 limits the spread of a morphogenetic signal by down-modulating the response to the Nodal autoregulatory loop. ..
- Chen Y, Takano Maruyama M, Fritzsch B, Gaufo G. Hoxb1 controls anteroposterior identity of vestibular projection neurons. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34762 pubmed publisher..To begin to address this issue, we found that Hoxb1 is required for the anterior-posterior (AP) identity of precursors that contribute to the lateral vestibular ..
- Ang S, Rossant J. HNF-3 beta is essential for node and notochord formation in mouse development. Cell. 1994;78:561-74 pubmed..HNF-3 beta is not required for the development of definitive endoderm cells, but foregut morphogenesis is severely affected in HNF-3 beta -/- embryos. ..
- Gofflot F, Hall M, Morriss Kay G. Genetic patterning of the posterior neuropore region of curly tail mouse embryos: deficiency of Wnt5a expression. Int J Dev Biol. 1998;42:637-44 pubmed..The genes analyzed were Shh, HNF3alpha, HNF3beta, Brachyury, Hoxb1, Evx1, Fgf8, Wnt5a and Wnt5b...
- Sakurai Y, Kurokawa D, Kiyonari H, Kajikawa E, Suda Y, Aizawa S. Otx2 and Otx1 protect diencephalon and mesencephalon from caudalization into metencephalon during early brain regionalization. Dev Biol. 2010;347:392-403 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the medial pallium requires Otx1 and Otx2 for its development later than E9.5, and the Otx2 expression in diencepalon and mesencephalon later than E9.5 is also directed by an enhancer other than FM1 and FM2 enhancers. ..
- Li P, Pashmforoush M, Sucov H. Retinoic acid regulates differentiation of the secondary heart field and TGFbeta-mediated outflow tract septation. Dev Cell. 2010;18:480-5 pubmed publisher..This may be a common pathogenic pathway when second heart field and septation defects are coupled. ..
- Kim F, Sing l A, Kaneko T, Bieman M, Stallwood N, Sadl V, et al. The vHNF1 homeodomain protein establishes early rhombomere identity by direct regulation of Kreisler expression. Mech Dev. 2005;122:1300-9 pubmed
- MacLean G, Dolle P, Petkovich M. Genetic disruption of CYP26B1 severely affects development of neural crest derived head structures, but does not compromise hindbrain patterning. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:732-45 pubmed publisher..These data suggest different periods of sensitivity of anterior and posterior hindbrain neural crest derivatives to elevated levels of RA in the absence of CYP26B1. ..
- Qiu Y, Pereira F, DeMayo F, Lydon J, Tsai S, Tsai M. Null mutation of mCOUP-TFI results in defects in morphogenesis of the glossopharyngeal ganglion, axonal projection, and arborization. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1925-37 pubmed..Furthermore, mCOUP-TFI possesses vital physiological functions that are distinct from mCOUP-TFII despite of their high degree of homology and extensive overlapping expression patterns. ..
- Perea Gomez A, Vella F, Shawlot W, Oulad Abdelghani M, Chazaud C, Meno C, et al. Nodal antagonists in the anterior visceral endoderm prevent the formation of multiple primitive streaks. Dev Cell. 2002;3:745-56 pubmed..Both antagonists are also required for proper patterning of the primitive streak. ..
- Rottkamp C, Lobur K, Wladyka C, Lucky A, O GORMAN S. Pbx3 is required for normal locomotion and dorsal horn development. Dev Biol. 2008;314:23-39 pubmed..Loss of Pbx3 function thus leads to the incorrect specification of some glutamatergic neurons in the dorsal horn and alters the integration of peripheral sensation into the spinal circuitry regulating locomotion. ..
- Manzanares M, Trainor P, Nonchev S, Ariza McNaughton L, Brodie J, Gould A, et al. The role of kreisler in segmentation during hindbrain development. Dev Biol. 1999;211:220-37 pubmed..We conclude that the mouse kreisler gene regulates multiple steps in segmental patterning involving both the formation of segments and their A-P identity. ..
- Rizzoti K, Lovell Badge R. SOX3 activity during pharyngeal segmentation is required for craniofacial morphogenesis. Development. 2007;134:3437-48 pubmed..They also give insight into the formation of pharyngeal pouches, of which little is known in vertebrates. Finally, this work introduces two new players in craniofacial development - SOX3 and SOX2. ..