Genomes and Genes
heme oxygenase 1
Gene Symbol: heme oxygenase 1
Description: heme oxygenase 1
Alias: D8Wsu38e, HO-1, HO1, Hemox, Hmox, Hsp32, heme oxygenase 1, P32 protein, heme oxygenase (decycling) 1, hemoxygenase
Products: heme oxygenase 1
- Tsuchihashi S, Zhai Y, Bo Q, Busuttil R, Kupiec Weglinski J. Heme oxygenase-1 mediated cytoprotection against liver ischemia and reperfusion injury: inhibition of type-1 interferon signaling. Transplantation. 2007;83:1628-34 pubmed..This study provides evidence for a novel mechanism by which HO-1 exerts adaptive cytoprotective and anti-inflammatory functions in the context of innate TLR4 activation. ..
- Cao Y, Kusy S, Luong R, Wong R, Stevenson D, Contag C. Heme oxygenase-1 deletion affects stress erythropoiesis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20634 pubmed publisher..We used a transplant model to induce stress conditions. In irradiated recipients that received hmox(+/-) or hmox(+/+) bone marrow cells, we evaluated (i) the erythrocyte parameters in the peripheral blood; (ii) the ..
- Gao X, Liu H, Wu J, Liang J, Zhou L, Zhao L, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 transgenic overexpression did not prevent artery injury induced by electric stimulation and pressure overload in mice. Eur J Pharmacol. 2011;659:199-205 pubmed publisher..We concluded that HO-1 overexpression accelerated the reendothelialization, but did not prevent the functional impairment of injured artery in mice. ..
- Foo R, Siow R, Brown M, Bennett M. Heme oxygenase-1 gene transfer inhibits angiotensin II-mediated rat cardiac myocyte apoptosis but not hypertrophy. J Cell Physiol. 2006;209:1-7 pubmed..Our findings identify the signalling pathways by which HO-1 gene transfer protects against apoptosis and suggest that overexpression of HO-1 in cardiomyopathies may delay the transition from myocyte hypertrophy to heart failure. ..
- Wu B, Midwinter R, Cassano C, Beck K, Wang Y, Changsiri D, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 increases endothelial progenitor cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:1537-42 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that HO-1 contributes to vascular repair by increasing circulating EPCs derived from the bone marrow...
- Mamiya T, Katsuoka F, Hirayama A, Nakajima O, Kobayashi A, Maher J, et al. Hepatocyte-specific deletion of heme oxygenase-1 disrupts redox homeostasis in basal and oxidative environments. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2008;216:331-9 pubmed..HO-1 CKO mice were susceptible to carbon tetrachloride hepatotoxicity. These results provide the first in vivo evidence that HO-1 acts to protect cells against the oxidative stress in both basal conditions and upon chemical insult. ..
- Innamorato N, Rojo A, García Yagüe A, Yamamoto M, De Ceballos M, Cuadrado A. The transcription factor Nrf2 is a therapeutic target against brain inflammation. J Immunol. 2008;181:680-9 pubmed..This study opens the possibility of targeting Nrf2 in brain as a means to modulate neuroinflammation. ..
- Al Huseini L, Aw Yeang H, Hamdam J, Sethu S, Alhumeed N, Wong W, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 regulates dendritic cell function through modulation of p38 MAPK-CREB/ATF1 signaling. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:16442-51 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we conclude that HO-1 regulates DC maturation and function by modulating the p38 MAPK-CREB/ATF1 signaling axis. ..
- Benallaoua M, Francois M, Batteux F, Thelier N, Shyy J, Fitting C, et al. Pharmacologic induction of heme oxygenase 1 reduces acute inflammatory arthritis in mice. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:2585-94 pubmedTo determine the consequences of pharmacologic up-regulation of heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1), and inhibition of HO-1 by injection of an anti-HO-1 small interfering RNA (siRNA), in vivo in the acute phase of a mouse model of nonautoimmune ..
- Zhao H, Wong R, Kalish F, Nayak N, Stevenson D. Effect of heme oxygenase-1 deficiency on placental development. Placenta. 2009;30:861-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that a partial deficiency in HO-1 is associated with morphological changes in the placenta and elevations in maternal diastolic blood pressure and plasma sFlt-1 levels, despite a compensatory increase in HO-2 expression...
- Seixas E, Gozzelino R, Chora A, Ferreira A, Silva G, Larsen R, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 affords protection against noncerebral forms of severe malaria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:15837-42 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we describe a mechanism of host defense against Plasmodium infection, based on tissue cytoprotection against free heme and limiting disease severity irrespectively of parasite burden. ..
- Was H, Sokolowska M, Sierpniowska A, Dominik P, Skrzypek K, Lackowska B, et al. Effects of heme oxygenase-1 on induction and development of chemically induced squamous cell carcinoma in mice. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011;51:1717-26 pubmed publisher..Thus, HO-1 may protect healthy tissues against carcinogen-induced injury, but in already growing tumors it seems to favor their progression toward more malignant forms. ..
- Grochot Przeczek A, Lach R, Mis J, Skrzypek K, Gozdecka M, Sroczynska P, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 accelerates cutaneous wound healing in mice. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5803 pubmed publisher..In summary, induction of HO-1 is necessary for efficient wound closure and neovascularization. Impaired wound healing in diabetic mice may be associated with delayed HO-1 upregulation and can be improved by HO-1 gene transfer. ..
- Slebos D, Ryter S, van der Toorn M, Liu F, Guo F, Baty C, et al. Mitochondrial localization and function of heme oxygenase-1 in cigarette smoke-induced cell death. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2007;36:409-17 pubmed..We demonstrate the functional compartmentalization of heme oxygenase-1 in the mitochondria of lung epithelial cells, and its potential role in defense against mitochondria-mediated cell death during CSE exposure. ..
- Kaizaki A, Tanaka S, Ishige K, Numazawa S, Yoshida T. The neuroprotective effect of heme oxygenase (HO) on oxidative stress in HO-1 siRNA-transfected HT22 cells. Brain Res. 2006;1108:39-44 pubmed..These results suggest that inducible HO-1 plays a protective role against oxidative stress in HT22 cells. ..
- Starzyński R, Canonne Hergaux F, Lenartowicz M, Krzeptowski W, Willemetz A, Styś A, et al. Ferroportin expression in haem oxygenase 1-deficient mice. Biochem J. 2013;449:69-78 pubmed publisherb>HO1 (haem oxygenase 1) and Fpn (ferroportin) are key proteins for iron recycling from senescent red blood cells and therefore play a major role in controlling the bioavailability of iron for erythropoiesis...
- Lin H, Chen Y, Yet S, Chau L. After vascular injury, heme oxygenase-1/carbon monoxide enhances re-endothelialization via promoting mobilization of circulating endothelial progenitor cells. J Thromb Haemost. 2009;7:1401-8 pubmed publisher..The CO-mediated effect was associated with an increase in circulating SDF-1 but not VEGF. These findings support a vital role of HO-1 and its reaction byproduct, CO, in vascular repair through enhancing EPC mobilization. ..
- Cheng C, Noorderloos M, van Deel E, Tempel D, den Dekker W, Wagtmans K, et al. Dendritic cell function in transplantation arteriosclerosis is regulated by heme oxygenase 1. Circ Res. 2010;106:1656-66 pubmed publisherHeme oxygenase (HO)1 is an important modulator of physiological function with cytoprotective properties. Although HO1 has previously been associated with an improved survival of the vascular allograft in rat models in response to ..
- Tsuchihashi S, Livhits M, Zhai Y, Busuttil R, Araujo J, Kupiec Weglinski J. Basal rather than induced heme oxygenase-1 levels are crucial in the antioxidant cytoprotection. J Immunol. 2006;177:4749-57 pubmed..This model provides an opportunity to further our understanding of HO-1 in stress defense mechanisms and design new regimens to prevent IRI. ..
- Chung S, Liu X, Macias A, Baron R, Perrella M. Heme oxygenase-1-derived carbon monoxide enhances the host defense response to microbial sepsis in mice. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:239-47 pubmed..These data advocate HO-1-derived CO as an important mediator of the host defense response to sepsis and suggest CO administration as a possible treatment for the disease. ..
- Zwerina J, Tzima S, Hayer S, Redlich K, Hoffmann O, Hanslik Schnabel B, et al. Heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) regulates osteoclastogenesis and bone resorption. FASEB J. 2005;19:2011-3 pubmedb>Heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) plays an important role in vascular disease, transplantation, and inflammation. In animal models of acute and chronic inflammation, induction of HO-1 has anti-inflammatory and cytoprotective properties...
- Kassovska Bratinova S, Yang G, Igarashi K, Dennery P. Bach1 modulates heme oxygenase-1 expression in the neonatal mouse lung. Pediatr Res. 2009;65:145-9 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that elevated levels of Bach1 may help to limit HO-1 induction in the newborn at baseline and in response to oxidative stress. ..
- Zaki M, Fujii S, Okamoto T, Islam S, Khan S, Ahmed K, et al. Cytoprotective function of heme oxygenase 1 induced by a nitrated cyclic nucleotide formed during murine salmonellosis. J Immunol. 2009;182:3746-56 pubmed publisher..In this study, we report a unique signal pathway for cytoprotection during Salmonella infection that involves heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) induced by a nitrated cyclic nucleotide, 8-nitroguanosine 3',5'-cyclic monophosphate (8-nitro-cGMP)...
- McDaid J, Yamashita K, Chora A, Ollinger R, Strom T, Li X, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 modulates the allo-immune response by promoting activation-induced cell death of T cells. FASEB J. 2005;19:458-60 pubmed
- Hegazi R, Rao K, Mayle A, Sepulveda A, Otterbein L, Plevy S. Carbon monoxide ameliorates chronic murine colitis through a heme oxygenase 1-dependent pathway. J Exp Med. 2005;202:1703-13 pubmed..In conclusion, this study begins to elucidate potential etiologic and therapeutic implications of CO and the HO-1 pathway in chronic inflammatory bowel diseases. ..
- Zelenay S, Chora A, Soares M, Demengeot J. Heme oxygenase-1 is not required for mouse regulatory T cell development and function. Int Immunol. 2007;19:11-8 pubmed..We compared wild-type and heme oxygenase-1-deficient (hmox-1(-/-)) mice in order to assess the role of HO-1 in mouse Treg development and function under physiologic ..
- Tzima S, Victoratos P, Kranidioti K, Alexiou M, Kollias G. Myeloid heme oxygenase-1 regulates innate immunity and autoimmunity by modulating IFN-beta production. J Exp Med. 2009;206:1167-79 pubmed publisher..These results uncover a novel direct function for myeloid HO-1 in the regulation of IFN-beta production, establishing HO-1 as a critical early mediator of the innate immune response. ..
- Orozco L, Kapturczak M, Barajas B, Wang X, Weinstein M, Wong J, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 expression in macrophages plays a beneficial role in atherosclerosis. Circ Res. 2007;100:1703-11 pubmed..We conclude that HO-1 expression in macrophages constitutes an important component of the antiatherogenic effect by increasing antioxidant protection and decreasing the inflammatory component of atherosclerotic lesions. ..
- Kinderlerer A, Pombo Gregoire I, Hamdulay S, Ali F, Steinberg R, Silva G, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 expression enhances vascular endothelial resistance to complement-mediated injury through induction of decay-accelerating factor: a role for increased bilirubin and ferritin. Blood. 2009;113:1598-607 pubmed publisher
- Deshane J, Chen S, Caballero S, Grochot Przeczek A, Was H, Li Calzi S, et al. Stromal cell-derived factor 1 promotes angiogenesis via a heme oxygenase 1-dependent mechanism. J Exp Med. 2007;204:605-18 pubmed..We provide direct evidence demonstrating an important role for heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) in mediating the proangiogenic effects of SDF-1...
- Mito S, Ozono R, Oshima T, Yano Y, Watari Y, Yamamoto Y, et al. Myocardial protection against pressure overload in mice lacking Bach1, a transcriptional repressor of heme oxygenase-1. Hypertension. 2008;51:1570-7 pubmed publisher..Bach1 repressively controls myocardial HO-1 expression both in basal and stressed conditions, inhibition of Bach1 may be a novel therapeutic strategy to protect the myocardium from pressure overload. ..
- Zenclussen M, Jensen F, Rebelo S, El Mousleh T, Casalis P, Zenclussen A. Heme oxygenase-1 expression in the ovary dictates a proper oocyte ovulation, fertilization, and corpora lutea maintenance. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2012;67:376-82 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we demonstrate here that HO-1 plays a pivotal role in the process of oocyte ovulation as well as fertilization, bringing to light a new and unsuspected role for HO-1. ..
- Fei D, Meng X, Zhao M, Kang K, Tan G, Pan S, et al. Enhanced induction of heme oxygenase-1 suppresses thrombus formation and affects the protein C system in sepsis. Transl Res. 2012;159:99-109 pubmed publisher..The data indicate that the enhanced induction of HO-1 inhibits thrombus formation and affects the protein C system in sepsis. ..
- Zhuang T, Zhang M, Zhang H, Dennery P, Lin Q. Disrupted postnatal lung development in heme oxygenase-1 deficient mice. Respir Res. 2010;11:142 pubmed publisher..We speculate that HO-1 is involved in postnatal lung development through modulation of pulmonary vascular development. ..
- Almolki A, Guenegou A, Golda S, Boyer L, Benallaoua M, Amara N, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 prevents airway mucus hypersecretion induced by cigarette smoke in rodents and humans. Am J Pathol. 2008;173:981-92 pubmed publisher..7% versus 8.6%, P = 0.047). No such results were observed in those who had never smoked (n = 297). We conclude that HO-1 has a significant protective effect against airway mucus hypersecretion in animals and humans exposed to CS. ..
- Yang G, Biswasa C, Lin Q, La P, Namba F, Zhuang T, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 regulates postnatal lung repair after hyperoxia: role of ?-catenin/hnRNPK signaling. Redox Biol. 2013;1:234-43 pubmed publisher..Disruption of HO-1 may enhance hnRNPK-mediated inhibition of protein translation and subsequently impair the ?-catenin/hnRNPK regulated gene expression required for coordinated lung repair and regeneration. ..
- Jyrkkänen H, Kansanen E, Inkala M, Kivelä A, Hurttila H, Heinonen S, et al. Nrf2 regulates antioxidant gene expression evoked by oxidized phospholipids in endothelial cells and murine arteries in vivo. Circ Res. 2008;103:e1-9 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the activation of Nrf2 by oxidized phospholipids provides a mechanism by which their deleterious effects are limited in the vasculature. ..
- Cao J, Peterson S, Sodhi K, Vanella L, Barbagallo I, Rodella L, et al. Heme oxygenase gene targeting to adipocytes attenuates adiposity and vascular dysfunction in mice fed a high-fat diet. Hypertension. 2012;60:467-75 pubmed publisher..These effects are reversed by the HO activity inhibitor, stannous mesoporphyrin. ..
- Yamashita K, Ollinger R, McDaid J, Sakahama H, Wang H, Tyagi S, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 is essential for and promotes tolerance to transplanted organs. FASEB J. 2006;20:776-8 pubmed
- So A, Garcia Flores Y, Minisandram A, Martin A, Taganov K, Boldin M, et al. Regulation of APC development, immune response, and autoimmunity by Bach1/HO-1 pathway in mice. Blood. 2012;120:2428-37 pubmed..By contrast, we observed an increase in hematopoietic stem-progenitor cells (HSPCs) in these mice, suggesting a developmental block in the progression of HSPCs to CMP-Flk2(+) and subsequently APCs. ..
- Cisowski J, Loboda A, Jozkowicz A, Chen S, Agarwal A, Dulak J. Role of heme oxygenase-1 in hydrogen peroxide-induced VEGF synthesis: effect of HO-1 knockout. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;326:670-6 pubmed..Additionally, knock out of HO-1 gene impaired induction of VEGF by hemin, lysophosphatidylcholine, and prostaglandin-J(2). Our results provide confirmation for the involvement of HO-1 in regulation of angiogenesis. ..
- Lin H, Chen Y, Chang P, Lee Y, Yet S, Chau L. Heme oxygenase-1 promotes neovascularization in ischemic heart by coinduction of VEGF and SDF-1. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2008;45:44-55 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that cardiac HO-1 gene transfer post MI provides protection at least in part by promoting neovascularization through inducing angiogenic factors and the recruitment of circulating progenitor/stem cells. ..
- Devey L, Mohr E, Bellamy C, Simpson K, Henderson N, Harrison E, et al. c-Jun terminal kinase-2 gene deleted mice overexpress hemeoxygenase-1 and are protected from hepatic ischemia reperfusion injury. Transplantation. 2009;88:308-16 pubmed publisher..In vitro studies of cultured macrophages demonstrated reduced tumour necrosis factor-alpha secretion after lipopolysaccharide stimulus, an effect lost after HO-1 inhibition. ..
- Kumar A, Deshane J, Crossman D, Bolisetty S, Yan B, Kramnik I, et al. Heme oxygenase-1-derived carbon monoxide induces the Mycobacterium tuberculosis dormancy regulon. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:18032-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CO, a previously unrecognized host factor, is a physiologically relevant Mtb signal capable of inducing the Dos regulon, which introduces a new paradigm for understanding the molecular basis of Mtb persistence. ..
- Cheng C, Noordeloos A, Jeney V, Soares M, Moll F, Pasterkamp G, et al. Heme oxygenase 1 determines atherosclerotic lesion progression into a vulnerable plaque. Circulation. 2009;119:3017-27 pubmed publisherThe molecular regulation for the transition from stable to vulnerable plaque remains to be elucidated. Heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) and its metabolites have been implicated in the cytoprotective defense against oxidative injury in ..
- Chora A, Fontoura P, Cunha A, Pais T, Cardoso S, Ho P, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 and carbon monoxide suppress autoimmune neuroinflammation. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:438-47 pubmed..In conclusion, HO-1 or exposure to its end product CO counters autoimmune neuroinflammation and thus might be used therapeutically to treat MS. ..
- Cao Y, Wagers A, Karsunky H, Zhao H, Reeves R, Wong R, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 deficiency leads to disrupted response to acute stress in stem cells and progenitors. Blood. 2008;112:4494-502 pubmed publisher..Control of stem cell stress response by HO-1 presents opportunities for metabolic manipulation of stem cell-based therapies. ..
- Schumacher A, Wafula P, Teles A, El Mousleh T, Linzke N, Zenclussen M, et al. Blockage of heme oxygenase-1 abrogates the protective effect of regulatory T cells on murine pregnancy and promotes the maturation of dendritic cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42301 pubmed publisher..This brings to light one essential pathway through which Treg mediates the semi-allogeneic fetus tolerance. ..
- Huang J, Chiang M, Yet S, Chau L. Myeloid heme oxygenase-1 haploinsufficiency reduces high fat diet-induced insulin resistance by affecting adipose macrophage infiltration in mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38626 pubmed publisher..These data disclose a novel role of hematopoietic cell HO-1 in promoting adipose macrophage infiltration and the development of insulin resistance during obesity. ..
- Matsumoto H, Ishikawa K, Itabe H, Maruyama Y. Carbon monoxide and bilirubin from heme oxygenase-1 suppresses reactive oxygen species generation and plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 induction. Mol Cell Biochem. 2006;291:21-8 pubmed..Furthermore, BR and CO were effective to improve viabilities of HO-1 deficient cells. These results suggest that HO-1 may be required to suppress ROS generation and the production of pro-thrombotic molecules such as PAI-1. ..
- Carchman E, Rao J, Loughran P, Rosengart M, Zuckerbraun B. Heme oxygenase-1-mediated autophagy protects against hepatocyte cell death and hepatic injury from infection/sepsis in mice. Hepatology. 2011;53:2053-62 pubmed publisher..Sepsis or LPS-induced autophagy protects against hepatocellular death, in part via an HO-1 p38 MAPK-dependent signaling. Further investigations are needed to elucidate how autophagic signaling prevents apoptosis and cell death. ..
- Lin Q, Weis S, Yang G, Weng Y, Helston R, Rish K, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 protein localizes to the nucleus and activates transcription factors important in oxidative stress. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:20621-33 pubmed..We speculate that nuclear localization of HO-1 protein may serve to up-regulate genes that promote cytoprotection against oxidative stress. ..
- Pamplona A, Ferreira A, Balla J, Jeney V, Balla G, Epiphanio S, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 and carbon monoxide suppress the pathogenesis of experimental cerebral malaria. Nat Med. 2007;13:703-10 pubmed..These effects were mediated by the binding of CO to hemoglobin, preventing hemoglobin oxidation and the generation of free heme, a molecule that triggers ECM pathogenesis...
- Datla S, Dusting G, Mori T, Taylor C, Croft K, Jiang F. Induction of heme oxygenase-1 in vivo suppresses NADPH oxidase derived oxidative stress. Hypertension. 2007;50:636-42 pubmed..Thus, systemic expression of HO-1 suppresses NADPH oxidase activity by mechanisms at least partly mediated by the bile pigment bilirubin, thereby reducing oxidative stress. ..
- Paiva C, Feijó D, Dutra F, Carneiro V, Freitas G, Alves L, et al. Oxidative stress fuels Trypanosoma cruzi infection in mice. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:2531-42 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that oxidative stress contributes to parasite persistence in host tissues and open a new avenue for the development of anti-T. cruzi drugs...
- Shih R, Yang C. Induction of heme oxygenase-1 attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced cyclooxygenase-2 expression in mouse brain endothelial cells. J Neuroinflammation. 2010;7:86 pubmed publisher..3. Our results reinforce the emerging role of cerebral endothelium-derived HO-1 as a protector against cerebral vascular inflammation triggered by bacterial infection...
- Hu C, Lin H, Chiang M, Chang P, Chau L. Systemic expression of heme oxygenase-1 ameliorates type 1 diabetes in NOD mice. Diabetes. 2007;56:1240-7 pubmed..CO appears to mediate at least partly the beneficial effect of HO-1 in this disease setting. ..
- Marinissen M, Tanos T, Bolos M, de Sagarra M, Coso O, Cuadrado A. Inhibition of heme oxygenase-1 interferes with the transforming activity of the Kaposi sarcoma herpesvirus-encoded G protein-coupled receptor. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:11332-46 pubmed..These data postulate HO-1 as an important mediator of vGPCR-induced tumor growth and suggest that inhibition of intratumoral HO-1 activity by SnPP may be a potential therapeutic strategy. ..
- Tsoyi K, Lee T, Lee Y, Kim H, Seo H, Lee J, et al. Heme-oxygenase-1 induction and carbon monoxide-releasing molecule inhibit lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced high-mobility group box 1 release in vitro and improve survival of mice in LPS- and cecal ligation and puncture-induced sepsis model in vivo. Mol Pharmacol. 2009;76:173-82 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we concluded that HO-1-derived CO reduces HMGB1 release in LPS-activated cells and LPS- or CLP-induced animal model of sepsis. ..
- Pittock S, Norby S, Grande J, Croatt A, Bren G, Badley A, et al. MCP-1 is up-regulated in unstressed and stressed HO-1 knockout mice: Pathophysiologic correlates. Kidney Int. 2005;68:611-22 pubmed..We speculate that the protective effects of HO-1 in injured tissue may involve, at least in part, the capacity of HO-1 to restrain up-regulation of MCP-1. ..
- Tsuchihashi S, Zhai Y, Fondevila C, Busuttil R, Kupiec Weglinski J. HO-1 upregulation suppresses type 1 IFN pathway in hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury. Transplant Proc. 2005;37:1677-8 pubmed..In contrast, adjunctive CoPP treatment decreased IP-10 levels in mouse livers infused with rIFN-beta. Thus, CoPP-induced HO-1 upregulation suppresses type-1 IFN pathway downstream of TLR4 system in hepatic warm I/R injury model. ..
- Liu X, Wei J, Peng D, Layne M, Yet S. Absence of heme oxygenase-1 exacerbates myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury in diabetic mice. Diabetes. 2005;54:778-84 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that the absence of HO-1 renders animals more susceptible to myocardial ischemia/reperfusion damage and diabetes worsens the injury. ..