H2-T23

Summary

Gene Symbol: H2-T23
Description: histocompatibility 2, T region locus 23
Alias: 37b, 37c, H-2T23, H2-Qa1, Qa-1, Qa-1(b), Qa1, Qed-1, T18c, T18c(37), T23b, T23d, H-2 class I histocompatibility antigen, D-37 alpha chain, MHC class I antigen Qa1, MHC classIb Qa1
Species: mouse
Products:     H2-T23

Top Publications

1. Hu D, Ikizawa K, Lu L, Sanchirico M, Shinohara M, Cantor H. Analysis of regulatory CD8 T cells in Qa-1-deficient mice. Nat Immunol. 2004;5:516-23 pubmed
    ..These findings delineate a Qa-1-dependent T cell-T cell inhibitory interaction that prevents the pathogenic expansion of autoreactive CD4 T cell populations and consequent autoimmune disease. ..
  2. Swanson P, Pack C, Hadley A, Wang C, Stroynowski I, Jensen P, et al. An MHC class Ib-restricted CD8 T cell response confers antiviral immunity. J Exp Med. 2008;205:1647-57 pubmed publisher
  3. Lu L, Kim H, Werneck M, Cantor H. Regulation of CD8+ regulatory T cells: Interruption of the NKG2A-Qa-1 interaction allows robust suppressive activity and resolution of autoimmune disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:19420-5 pubmed publisher
    ..Further analysis revealed that genetic disruption of the Qa-1-CD94/NKG2A interaction unleashes robust CD8 Treg cell activity that completely abolishes development of EAE. ..
  4. Ito K, van Kaer L, Bonneville M, Hsu S, Murphy D, Tonegawa S. Recognition of the product of a novel MHC TL region gene (27b) by a mouse gamma delta T cell receptor. Cell. 1990;62:549-61 pubmed
    ..We propose that gamma delta TCR and nonclassical MHC and MHC-related class I molecules have coevolved to recognize a conserved set of endogenous and foreign determinants. ..
  5. Kim H, Verbinnen B, Tang X, Lu L, Cantor H. Inhibition of follicular T-helper cells by CD8(+) regulatory T cells is essential for self tolerance. Nature. 2010;467:328-32 pubmed publisher
    ..These findings define a sublineage of CD8 T cells programmed to suppress rather than activate immunity that represents an essential regulatory element of the immune response and a guarantor of self tolerance. ..
  6. Lu L, Ikizawa K, Hu D, Werneck M, Wucherpfennig K, Cantor H. Regulation of activated CD4+ T cells by NK cells via the Qa-1-NKG2A inhibitory pathway. Immunity. 2007;26:593-604 pubmed
  7. Lalanne J, Transy C, Guerin S, Darche S, Meulien P, Kourilsky P. Expression of class I genes in the major histocompatibility complex: identification of eight distinct mRNAs in DBA/2 mouse liver. Cell. 1985;41:469-78 pubmed
    ..Altogether, liver cells may express at least eight distinct class I polypeptides, of which three might be secreted, while one may be a new presumptive nonpolymorphic surface antigen. ..
  8. Connolly D, Cotterill L, Hederer R, Thorpe C, Travers P, McVey J, et al. A cDNA clone encoding the mouse Qa-1a histocompatibility antigen and proposed structure of the putative peptide binding site. J Immunol. 1993;151:6089-98 pubmed
    ..The coding sequence shows strongest similarity with that of the T23d gene of DBA/2 mice which encodes the Qa-1b molecule...
  9. Colmenero P, Zhang A, Qian T, Lu L, Cantor H, Soderstrom K, et al. Qa-1(b)-dependent modulation of dendritic cell and NK cell cross-talk in vivo. J Immunol. 2007;179:4608-15 pubmed
    ..This receptor-ligand interaction may be essential to prevent unabated cytokine production by NK cells during an inflammatory response. ..

More Information

Publications48

1. Bian Y, Shang S, Siddiqui S, Zhao J, Joosten S, Ottenhoff T, et al. MHC Ib molecule Qa-1 presents Mycobacterium tuberculosis peptide antigens to CD8+ T cells and contributes to protection against infection. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006384 pubmed publisher
    ..Our findings reveal that Qa-1 participates in the immune response to Mtb infection by presenting peptide antigens as well as regulating immune responses, resulting in more effective anti-Mtb immunity. ..
  2. Clement M, Guedj K, Andreata F, Morvan M, Bey L, Khallou Laschet J, et al. Control of the T follicular helper-germinal center B-cell axis by CD8⁺ regulatory T cells limits atherosclerosis and tertiary lymphoid organ development. Circulation. 2015;131:560-70 pubmed publisher
    ..Therefore, disrupting this axis represents an innovative therapeutic approach. ..
  3. Chen L, Jay D, Fairbanks J, He X, Jensen P. An MHC class Ib-restricted CD8+ T cell response to lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. J Immunol. 2011;187:6463-72 pubmed publisher
    ..These findings demonstrate that class Ib-restricted CD8(+) T cells have the potential to participate in the host immune response to LCMV. ..
  4. Martínez Naves E, Lafuente E, Reche P. Recognition of the ligand-type specificity of classical and non-classical MHC I proteins. FEBS Lett. 2011;585:3478-84 pubmed publisher
    ..Moreover, we applied these classifiers to human and mouse MHC I proteins of uncharacterized ligands, obtaining some results that can be instrumental to unravel the function of these proteins. ..
  5. Kambayashi T, Kraft Leavy J, Dauner J, Sullivan B, Laur O, Jensen P. The nonclassical MHC class I molecule Qa-1 forms unstable peptide complexes. J Immunol. 2004;172:1661-9 pubmed
    ..We propose that the CD94/NKG2A-Qa-1/Qdm recognition system has evolved as a rapid sensor of the integrity of the MHC class I biosynthesis and Ag presentation pathway. ..
  6. Wolf P, Cook R. The class I-b molecule Qa-1 forms heterodimers with H-2Ld and a novel 50-kD glycoprotein encoded centromeric to I-E beta. J Exp Med. 1995;181:657-68 pubmed
    ..These interactions may enable increased levels of Qa-1 to reach the cell surface and may subsequently influence T cell recognition of Qa-1 and/or Ld molecules. ..
  7. Attaya M, Jameson S, Martinez C, Hermel E, Aldrich C, Forman J, et al. Ham-2 corrects the class I antigen-processing defect in RMA-S cells. Nature. 1992;355:647-9 pubmed
    ..Processing defects for classical (H-2 K and D) and non-classical (Qa1 and HMT) class I molecules are corrected by Ham-2...
  8. Brorson K, Richards S, Hunt S, Cheroutre H, Lindahl K, Hood L. Analysis of a new class I gene mapping to the Hmt region of the mouse. Immunogenetics. 1989;30:273-83 pubmed
    ..However, unlike the classical class I genes, the Thy19.4 gene maps approximately 1 cm distal to the Tla region of the MHC, in the same region as the gene encoding the Hmt element of the maternally transmitted antigen. ..
  9. Kim H, Wang X, Radfar S, Sproule T, Roopenian D, Cantor H. CD8+ T regulatory cells express the Ly49 Class I MHC receptor and are defective in autoimmune prone B6-Yaa mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:2010-5 pubmed publisher
  10. Jenkins R, Aldrich C, Landolfi N, Rich R. Correlation of Qa-1 determinants defined by antisera and by cytotoxic T lymphocytes. Immunogenetics. 1985;21:215-25 pubmed
    ..Thus, all of the CTL-defined Qa-1 determinants resided on molecules recognized by Qa-1-specific antibodies, but anti-Qa-1a CTL and Qa-1.1-specific antibodies did not have identical specificities. ..
  11. Cook R, Jenkins R, Flaherty L, Rich R. The Qa-1 alloantigens. II. Evidence for the expression of two Qa-1 molecules by the Qa-1d genotype and for cross-reactivity between Qa-1 and H-2K. J Immunol. 1983;130:1293-9 pubmed
  12. Harris R, Hogarth P, Penington D, McKenzie I. Qa antigens and their differential distribution on lymphoid, myeloid and stem cells. J Immunogenet. 1984;11:265-81 pubmed
  13. Stanton T, Hood L. Biochemical identification of the Qa-1 alloantigen. Immunogenetics. 1980;11:309-14 pubmed
  14. Zhou J, Matsuoka M, Cantor H, Homer R, Enelow R. Cutting edge: engagement of NKG2A on CD8+ effector T cells limits immunopathology in influenza pneumonia. J Immunol. 2008;180:25-9 pubmed
    ..These data demonstrate that CD94/NKG2A transduces a biologically important signal in vivo to activated CD8+ T cells that limits immunopathology in severe influenza infection. ..
  15. Ibrahim S, Koczan D, Thiesen H. Gene-expression profile of collagen-induced arthritis. J Autoimmun. 2002;18:159-67 pubmed
    ..The profile of gene expression supports current theoretical models of disease progression and might open new perspectives for both diagnosis and treatment of arthritis. ..
  16. Tajima A, Tanaka T, Ebata T, Takeda K, Kawasaki A, Kelly J, et al. Blastocyst MHC, a putative murine homologue of HLA-G, protects TAP-deficient tumor cells from natural killer cell-mediated rejection in vivo. J Immunol. 2003;171:1715-21 pubmed
    ..These results suggested a role for blastocyst MHC in protecting TAP-deficient trophoblasts and tumor cells from NK cell attack in vivo. ..
  17. Persson C, Assarsson E, Vahlne G, Brodin P, Chambers B. Critical role of Qa1b in the protection of mature dendritic cells from NK cell-mediated killing. Scand J Immunol. 2008;67:30-6 pubmed
    ..In the present study, we investigated the role of Qa1(b) on DC and its receptor NKG2A on NK cells in the protection of mature DC from NK cells...
  18. Krog H, Wysocka M, Kisielow P, Radzikowski C. Genetic characterization of important mouse strains used in cancer research. Hereditas. 1977;87:201-4 pubmed
  19. Chen L, Reyes Vargas E, Dai H, Escobar H, Rudd B, Fairbanks J, et al. Expression of the mouse MHC class Ib H2-T11 gene product, a paralog of H2-T23 (Qa-1) with shared peptide-binding specificity. J Immunol. 2014;193:1427-39 pubmed publisher
    ..Thus, T11 is a paralog of T23 encoding an MHC class Ib molecule that shares peptide-binding specificity with Qa-1 but differs in function. ..
  20. Varthaman A, Clement M, Khallou Laschet J, Fornasa G, Gaston A, Dussiot M, et al. Physiological induction of regulatory Qa-1-restricted CD8+ T cells triggered by endogenous CD4+ T cell responses. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21628 pubmed publisher
    ..At variance with other regulatory T cell subsets, the action of these Qa-1-restricted T cells seems to be restricted to the immediate re-activation of CD4+ T cells. ..
  21. Holderried T, Lang P, Kim H, Cantor H. Genetic disruption of CD8+ Treg activity enhances the immune response to viral infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:21089-94 pubmed publisher
    ..These data suggest that depletion or inactivation of CD8(+) Treg cells represents a potentially effective strategy to enhance protective immunity to chronic viral infection. ..
  22. Yao Y, Han W, Liang J, Ji J, Wang J, Cantor H, et al. Glatiramer acetate ameliorates inflammatory bowel disease in mice through the induction of Qa-1-restricted CD8? regulatory cells. Eur J Immunol. 2013;43:125-36 pubmed publisher
    ..Our results reveal a new regulatory role of Qa-1-restricted CD8(+) Treg cells in IBD and suggest their induction by GA vaccination as a potential therapeutic approach to IBD. ..
  23. Leavenworth J, Wang X, Wenander C, Spee P, Cantor H. Mobilization of natural killer cells inhibits development of collagen-induced arthritis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:14584-9 pubmed publisher
    ..These results suggest that antibody-dependent enhancement of NK activity may yield effective, previously undescribed therapeutic approaches to this autoimmune disorder. ..
  24. Braud V, Allan D, McMichael A. Functions of nonclassical MHC and non-MHC-encoded class I molecules. Curr Opin Immunol. 1999;11:100-8 pubmed
  25. Lindahl K, Hausmann B. Qed-1--a target for unrestricted killing by T cells. Eur J Immunol. 1980;10:289-98 pubmed
    ..Cells of some strains, like B10.BR, NZB, and SWR, responded directly in culture, even without priming in vivo. ..
  26. Landolfi N, Rich R, Cook R. The Qa-1 alloantigens. III. Biochemical analysis of the structure and extent of polymorphism of the Qa-1 allelic products. J Immunol. 1985;135:1264-70 pubmed
    ..Peptide mapping analysis also demonstrated that the Tlaa and Qa-1a allelic products were distinct from one another, as well as being very different from the other three Qa-1 allelic products. ..
  27. Zeng L, Sullivan L, Vivian J, Walpole N, Harpur C, Rossjohn J, et al. A structural basis for antigen presentation by the MHC class Ib molecule, Qa-1b. J Immunol. 2012;188:302-10 pubmed publisher
  28. Richards S, Bucan M, Brorson K, Kiefer M, Hunt S, Lehrach H, et al. Genetic and molecular mapping of the Hmt region of mouse. EMBO J. 1989;8:3749-57 pubmed
    ..4. Both lie proximal to Pgk-2, within the distal inversion in t-haplotypes. The presence of several other MHC class I genes in the Hmt region is predicted from analysis of the recombinants that define the region. ..
  29. Hunt S, Cook M, Ecklund S. Fine map of a region homologous to the rat grc complex in the TL region of the mouse. Immunogenetics. 1993;37:386-9 pubmed
  30. Tompkins S, Kraft J, Dao C, Soloski M, Jensen P. Transporters associated with antigen processing (TAP)-independent presentation of soluble insulin to alpha/beta T cells by the class Ib gene product, Qa-1(b). J Exp Med. 1998;188:961-71 pubmed
    ..Therefore, this class Ib protein may have access to a novel antigen processing pathway that is not available to class Ia molecules...
  31. Aldrich C, Jenkins R, Rich R. Clonal analysis of the anti-Qa-1 cytotoxic T lymphocyte repertoire: definition of the Qa-1d and Qa-1c alloantigens and cross-reactivity with H-2. J Immunol. 1986;136:383-8 pubmed
    ..Analysis of CTL from these four immunizations also resulted in the isolation of Qa-1a-specific and Qa-1d-specific CTL clones that cross-reacted with H-2Df and H-2Ks, respectively. ..
  32. Hermel E, Hart A, Gunduz I, Acton H, Kim C, Wurth M, et al. Polymorphism and conservation of the genes encoding Qa1 molecules. Immunogenetics. 2004;56:639-49 pubmed
    To evaluate the polymorphism and conservation of the major histocompatibility complex class Ib molecule Qa1 in wild mouse populations, we determined the nucleotide sequence of exons 1-3 of Qa1 of eight mouse haplotypes derived from wild ..
  33. Nagarajan N, Gonzalez F, Shastri N. Nonclassical MHC class Ib-restricted cytotoxic T cells monitor antigen processing in the endoplasmic reticulum. Nat Immunol. 2012;13:579-86 pubmed publisher
    ..Thus, nonclassical Qa-1(b)-peptide complexes direct cytotoxic T cells to targets with defective antigen processing in the endoplasmic reticulum. ..
  34. Transy C, Nash S, David Watine B, Cochet M, Hunt S, Hood L, et al. A low polymorphic mouse H-2 class I gene from the Tla complex is expressed in a broad variety of cell types. J Exp Med. 1987;166:341-61 pubmed
    ..Possible functions are discussed. ..
  35. Nakayama K, Tokito S, Jaulin C, Delarbre C, Kourilsky P, Nakauchi H, et al. Comparative structure of two duplicated T1a class I genes (T10c and 37) of the murine H-2d MHC. Implications on the evolution of the T1a region. J Immunol. 1990;144:2400-8 pubmed
  36. Hermel E, Hart A, Miller R, Aldrich C. CTL and sequence analyses of MHC class IB antigens Qa1(c) (H2-T23(r)) and Qa1(d) (H2-T23(f)). Immunogenetics. 1999;49:712-7 pubmed
  37. van Hall T, Laban S, Koppers Lalic D, Koch J, Precup C, Asmawidjaja P, et al. The varicellovirus-encoded TAP inhibitor UL49.5 regulates the presentation of CTL epitopes by Qa-1b1. J Immunol. 2007;178:657-62 pubmed
    ..Our data show that the varicellovirus UL49.5 protein is a universal TAP inhibitor that can be exploited for preclinical studies on CTL-based immune intervention...
  38. Lindahl K, Hausmann B, Flaherty L. Polymorphism of a Qa-1-associated antigen defined by cytotoxic T cells. I. Qed-1a and Qed-1d. Eur J Immunol. 1982;12:159-66 pubmed
    ..BR effectors cross-react extensively. CB6F1 anti-5R effector cells also discriminate between the Qed-1 antigens of B6-Tlaa (H-2b, Tlaa) and those of B10.BR and other H-2k, Tlaa strains. ..
  39. Stanton T, Carbon S, Maynard M. Recognition of alternate alleles and mapping of the Qa1 locus. J Immunol. 1981;127:1640-3 pubmed
    ..Two new recombinants that separate Qa1 and TIa have been established and indicate that Qa1 maps telomeric to TIa...