Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: H2-T23
Description: histocompatibility 2, T region locus 23
Alias: 37b, 37c, H-2T23, H2-Qa1, Qa-1, Qa-1(b), Qa1, Qed-1, T18c, T18c(37), T23b, T23d, H-2 class I histocompatibility antigen, D-37 alpha chain, MHC class I antigen Qa1, MHC classIb Qa1
- Bian Y, Shang S, Siddiqui S, Zhao J, Joosten S, Ottenhoff T, et al. MHC Ib molecule Qa-1 presents Mycobacterium tuberculosis peptide antigens to CD8+ T cells and contributes to protection against infection. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006384 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal that Qa-1 participates in the immune response to Mtb infection by presenting peptide antigens as well as regulating immune responses, resulting in more effective anti-Mtb immunity. ..
- Clement M, Guedj K, Andreata F, Morvan M, Bey L, Khallou Laschet J, et al. Control of the T follicular helper-germinal center B-cell axis by CD8âº regulatory T cells limits atherosclerosis and tertiary lymphoid organ development. Circulation. 2015;131:560-70 pubmed publisher..Therefore, disrupting this axis represents an innovative therapeutic approach. ..
- Chen L, Jay D, Fairbanks J, He X, Jensen P. An MHC class Ib-restricted CD8+ T cell response to lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. J Immunol. 2011;187:6463-72 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that class Ib-restricted CD8(+) T cells have the potential to participate in the host immune response to LCMV. ..
- Martínez Naves E, Lafuente E, Reche P. Recognition of the ligand-type specificity of classical and non-classical MHC I proteins. FEBS Lett. 2011;585:3478-84 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we applied these classifiers to human and mouse MHC I proteins of uncharacterized ligands, obtaining some results that can be instrumental to unravel the function of these proteins. ..
- Kambayashi T, Kraft Leavy J, Dauner J, Sullivan B, Laur O, Jensen P. The nonclassical MHC class I molecule Qa-1 forms unstable peptide complexes. J Immunol. 2004;172:1661-9 pubmed..We propose that the CD94/NKG2A-Qa-1/Qdm recognition system has evolved as a rapid sensor of the integrity of the MHC class I biosynthesis and Ag presentation pathway. ..
- Wolf P, Cook R. The class I-b molecule Qa-1 forms heterodimers with H-2Ld and a novel 50-kD glycoprotein encoded centromeric to I-E beta. J Exp Med. 1995;181:657-68 pubmed..These interactions may enable increased levels of Qa-1 to reach the cell surface and may subsequently influence T cell recognition of Qa-1 and/or Ld molecules. ..
- Attaya M, Jameson S, Martinez C, Hermel E, Aldrich C, Forman J, et al. Ham-2 corrects the class I antigen-processing defect in RMA-S cells. Nature. 1992;355:647-9 pubmed..Processing defects for classical (H-2 K and D) and non-classical (Qa1 and HMT) class I molecules are corrected by Ham-2...
- Brorson K, Richards S, Hunt S, Cheroutre H, Lindahl K, Hood L. Analysis of a new class I gene mapping to the Hmt region of the mouse. Immunogenetics. 1989;30:273-83 pubmed..However, unlike the classical class I genes, the Thy19.4 gene maps approximately 1 cm distal to the Tla region of the MHC, in the same region as the gene encoding the Hmt element of the maternally transmitted antigen. ..
- Jenkins R, Aldrich C, Landolfi N, Rich R. Correlation of Qa-1 determinants defined by antisera and by cytotoxic T lymphocytes. Immunogenetics. 1985;21:215-25 pubmed..Thus, all of the CTL-defined Qa-1 determinants resided on molecules recognized by Qa-1-specific antibodies, but anti-Qa-1a CTL and Qa-1.1-specific antibodies did not have identical specificities. ..
- Cook R, Jenkins R, Flaherty L, Rich R. The Qa-1 alloantigens. II. Evidence for the expression of two Qa-1 molecules by the Qa-1d genotype and for cross-reactivity between Qa-1 and H-2K. J Immunol. 1983;130:1293-9 pubmed
- Harris R, Hogarth P, Penington D, McKenzie I. Qa antigens and their differential distribution on lymphoid, myeloid and stem cells. J Immunogenet. 1984;11:265-81 pubmed
- Stanton T, Hood L. Biochemical identification of the Qa-1 alloantigen. Immunogenetics. 1980;11:309-14 pubmed
- Zhou J, Matsuoka M, Cantor H, Homer R, Enelow R. Cutting edge: engagement of NKG2A on CD8+ effector T cells limits immunopathology in influenza pneumonia. J Immunol. 2008;180:25-9 pubmed..These data demonstrate that CD94/NKG2A transduces a biologically important signal in vivo to activated CD8+ T cells that limits immunopathology in severe influenza infection. ..
- Ibrahim S, Koczan D, Thiesen H. Gene-expression profile of collagen-induced arthritis. J Autoimmun. 2002;18:159-67 pubmed..The profile of gene expression supports current theoretical models of disease progression and might open new perspectives for both diagnosis and treatment of arthritis. ..
- Tajima A, Tanaka T, Ebata T, Takeda K, Kawasaki A, Kelly J, et al. Blastocyst MHC, a putative murine homologue of HLA-G, protects TAP-deficient tumor cells from natural killer cell-mediated rejection in vivo. J Immunol. 2003;171:1715-21 pubmed..These results suggested a role for blastocyst MHC in protecting TAP-deficient trophoblasts and tumor cells from NK cell attack in vivo. ..
- Persson C, Assarsson E, Vahlne G, Brodin P, Chambers B. Critical role of Qa1b in the protection of mature dendritic cells from NK cell-mediated killing. Scand J Immunol. 2008;67:30-6 pubmed..In the present study, we investigated the role of Qa1(b) on DC and its receptor NKG2A on NK cells in the protection of mature DC from NK cells...
- Krog H, Wysocka M, Kisielow P, Radzikowski C. Genetic characterization of important mouse strains used in cancer research. Hereditas. 1977;87:201-4 pubmed
- Chen L, Reyes Vargas E, Dai H, Escobar H, Rudd B, Fairbanks J, et al. Expression of the mouse MHC class Ib H2-T11 gene product, a paralog of H2-T23 (Qa-1) with shared peptide-binding specificity. J Immunol. 2014;193:1427-39 pubmed publisher..Thus, T11 is a paralog of T23 encoding an MHC class Ib molecule that shares peptide-binding specificity with Qa-1 but differs in function. ..
- Varthaman A, Clement M, Khallou Laschet J, Fornasa G, Gaston A, Dussiot M, et al. Physiological induction of regulatory Qa-1-restricted CD8+ T cells triggered by endogenous CD4+ T cell responses. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21628 pubmed publisher..At variance with other regulatory T cell subsets, the action of these Qa-1-restricted T cells seems to be restricted to the immediate re-activation of CD4+ T cells. ..
- Holderried T, Lang P, Kim H, Cantor H. Genetic disruption of CD8+ Treg activity enhances the immune response to viral infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:21089-94 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that depletion or inactivation of CD8(+) Treg cells represents a potentially effective strategy to enhance protective immunity to chronic viral infection. ..
- Yao Y, Han W, Liang J, Ji J, Wang J, Cantor H, et al. Glatiramer acetate ameliorates inflammatory bowel disease in mice through the induction of Qa-1-restricted CD8? regulatory cells. Eur J Immunol. 2013;43:125-36 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a new regulatory role of Qa-1-restricted CD8(+) Treg cells in IBD and suggest their induction by GA vaccination as a potential therapeutic approach to IBD. ..
- Leavenworth J, Wang X, Wenander C, Spee P, Cantor H. Mobilization of natural killer cells inhibits development of collagen-induced arthritis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:14584-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that antibody-dependent enhancement of NK activity may yield effective, previously undescribed therapeutic approaches to this autoimmune disorder. ..
- Braud V, Allan D, McMichael A. Functions of nonclassical MHC and non-MHC-encoded class I molecules. Curr Opin Immunol. 1999;11:100-8 pubmed
- Lindahl K, Hausmann B. Qed-1--a target for unrestricted killing by T cells. Eur J Immunol. 1980;10:289-98 pubmed..Cells of some strains, like B10.BR, NZB, and SWR, responded directly in culture, even without priming in vivo. ..
- Landolfi N, Rich R, Cook R. The Qa-1 alloantigens. III. Biochemical analysis of the structure and extent of polymorphism of the Qa-1 allelic products. J Immunol. 1985;135:1264-70 pubmed..Peptide mapping analysis also demonstrated that the Tlaa and Qa-1a allelic products were distinct from one another, as well as being very different from the other three Qa-1 allelic products. ..
- Richards S, Bucan M, Brorson K, Kiefer M, Hunt S, Lehrach H, et al. Genetic and molecular mapping of the Hmt region of mouse. EMBO J. 1989;8:3749-57 pubmed..4. Both lie proximal to Pgk-2, within the distal inversion in t-haplotypes. The presence of several other MHC class I genes in the Hmt region is predicted from analysis of the recombinants that define the region. ..
- Hunt S, Cook M, Ecklund S. Fine map of a region homologous to the rat grc complex in the TL region of the mouse. Immunogenetics. 1993;37:386-9 pubmed
- Tompkins S, Kraft J, Dao C, Soloski M, Jensen P. Transporters associated with antigen processing (TAP)-independent presentation of soluble insulin to alpha/beta T cells by the class Ib gene product, Qa-1(b). J Exp Med. 1998;188:961-71 pubmed..Therefore, this class Ib protein may have access to a novel antigen processing pathway that is not available to class Ia molecules...
- Aldrich C, Jenkins R, Rich R. Clonal analysis of the anti-Qa-1 cytotoxic T lymphocyte repertoire: definition of the Qa-1d and Qa-1c alloantigens and cross-reactivity with H-2. J Immunol. 1986;136:383-8 pubmed..Analysis of CTL from these four immunizations also resulted in the isolation of Qa-1a-specific and Qa-1d-specific CTL clones that cross-reacted with H-2Df and H-2Ks, respectively. ..
- Hermel E, Hart A, Gunduz I, Acton H, Kim C, Wurth M, et al. Polymorphism and conservation of the genes encoding Qa1 molecules. Immunogenetics. 2004;56:639-49 pubmedTo evaluate the polymorphism and conservation of the major histocompatibility complex class Ib molecule Qa1 in wild mouse populations, we determined the nucleotide sequence of exons 1-3 of Qa1 of eight mouse haplotypes derived from wild ..
- Nagarajan N, Gonzalez F, Shastri N. Nonclassical MHC class Ib-restricted cytotoxic T cells monitor antigen processing in the endoplasmic reticulum. Nat Immunol. 2012;13:579-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, nonclassical Qa-1(b)-peptide complexes direct cytotoxic T cells to targets with defective antigen processing in the endoplasmic reticulum. ..
- Transy C, Nash S, David Watine B, Cochet M, Hunt S, Hood L, et al. A low polymorphic mouse H-2 class I gene from the Tla complex is expressed in a broad variety of cell types. J Exp Med. 1987;166:341-61 pubmed..Possible functions are discussed. ..
- Nakayama K, Tokito S, Jaulin C, Delarbre C, Kourilsky P, Nakauchi H, et al. Comparative structure of two duplicated T1a class I genes (T10c and 37) of the murine H-2d MHC. Implications on the evolution of the T1a region. J Immunol. 1990;144:2400-8 pubmed
- Hermel E, Hart A, Miller R, Aldrich C. CTL and sequence analyses of MHC class IB antigens Qa1(c) (H2-T23(r)) and Qa1(d) (H2-T23(f)). Immunogenetics. 1999;49:712-7 pubmed
- van Hall T, Laban S, Koppers Lalic D, Koch J, Precup C, Asmawidjaja P, et al. The varicellovirus-encoded TAP inhibitor UL49.5 regulates the presentation of CTL epitopes by Qa-1b1. J Immunol. 2007;178:657-62 pubmed..Our data show that the varicellovirus UL49.5 protein is a universal TAP inhibitor that can be exploited for preclinical studies on CTL-based immune intervention...
- Lindahl K, Hausmann B, Flaherty L. Polymorphism of a Qa-1-associated antigen defined by cytotoxic T cells. I. Qed-1a and Qed-1d. Eur J Immunol. 1982;12:159-66 pubmed..BR effectors cross-react extensively. CB6F1 anti-5R effector cells also discriminate between the Qed-1 antigens of B6-Tlaa (H-2b, Tlaa) and those of B10.BR and other H-2k, Tlaa strains. ..
- Stanton T, Carbon S, Maynard M. Recognition of alternate alleles and mapping of the Qa1 locus. J Immunol. 1981;127:1640-3 pubmed..Two new recombinants that separate Qa1 and TIa have been established and indicate that Qa1 maps telomeric to TIa...