Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Grk1
Description: G protein-coupled receptor kinase 1
Alias: Gprk1, Rhok, rhodopsin kinase, G-protein receptor kinase 1
- Azevedo A, Doan T, Moaven H, Sokal I, Baameur F, Vishnivetskiy S, et al. C-terminal threonines and serines play distinct roles in the desensitization of rhodopsin, a G protein-coupled receptor. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Similar coordination of phosphorylation and arrestin binding may more generally permit tight control of the duration of GPCR activity. ..
- Cho M, Kim W, Ki S, Hwang J, Choi S, Lee C, et al. Role of Galpha12 and Galpha13 as novel switches for the activity of Nrf2, a key antioxidative transcription factor. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:6195-208 pubmed..In summary, Galpha12 and Galpha13 transmit a JNK-dependent signal for Nrf2 ubiquitination, whereas Galpha13 regulates Rho-PKC delta-mediated Nrf2 phosphorylation, which is negatively balanced by Galpha12. ..
- Yamamoto M, Ramirez S, Sato S, Kiyota T, Cerny R, Kaibuchi K, et al. Phosphorylation of claudin-5 and occludin by rho kinase in brain endothelial cells. Am J Pathol. 2008;172:521-33 pubmed publisher..Our previous work has shown that Rho kinase (RhoK) activation mediates occludin and claudin-5 phosphorylation resulting in diminished barrier tightness and enhanced ..
- Sakurai K, Chen J, Khani S, Kefalov V. Regulation of mammalian cone phototransduction by recoverin and rhodopsin kinase. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:9239-50 pubmed publisher..exerts a well studied negative feedback on phototransduction that includes calcium-dependent inhibition of rhodopsin kinase (GRK1) by recoverin...
- Sakurai K, Young J, Kefalov V, Khani S. Variation in rhodopsin kinase expression alters the dim flash response shut off and the light adaptation in rod photoreceptors. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:6793-800 pubmed publisher..More importantly, the ratio of rhodopsin kinase to its modulator recoverin appears critical for the proper adaptation of rods and the acceleration of their ..
- Chen C, Woodruff M, Chen F, Chen D, Fain G. Background light produces a recoverin-dependent modulation of activated-rhodopsin lifetime in mouse rods. J Neurosci. 2010;30:1213-20 pubmed publisherThe Ca(2+)-binding protein recoverin is thought to regulate rhodopsin kinase and to modulate the lifetime of the photoexcited state of rhodopsin (Rh*), the visual pigment of vertebrate rods...
- Choi S, Hao W, Chen C, Simon M. Gene expression profiles of light-induced apoptosis in arrestin/rhodopsin kinase-deficient mouse retinas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:13096-101 pubmed..molecular processes that lead to light-induced retinal degeneration, mutant mice deficient in arrestin and rhodopsin kinase were raised in the dark and then subjected to relatively low doses of white light...
- Doan T, Azevedo A, Hurley J, Rieke F. Arrestin competition influences the kinetics and variability of the single-photon responses of mammalian rod photoreceptors. J Neurosci. 2009;29:11867-79 pubmed publisher..We determined how reduced concentrations of rhodopsin kinase (GRK1) and/or arrestin1 influenced the kinetics and variability of the single-photon responses of mouse rod ..
- Kouchi Z, Igarashi T, Shibayama N, Inanobe S, Sakurai K, Yamaguchi H, et al. Phospholipase Cdelta3 regulates RhoA/Rho kinase signaling and neurite outgrowth. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:8459-71 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that PLC?3 negatively regulates RhoA expression, inhibits RhoA/Rho kinase signaling, and thereby promotes neurite extension. ..
- Young J, Gross K, Khani S. Conserved structure and spatiotemporal function of the compact rhodopsin kinase (GRK1) enhancer/promoter. Mol Vis. 2005;11:1041-51 pubmedTo demonstrate that the crucial elements responsible for the spatial and temporal expression patterns of rhodopsin kinase (Rk) are contained within a narrow conserved segment immediately flanking the Rk transcription start sites...
- Frederiksen R, Nymark S, Kolesnikov A, Berry J, Adler L, Koutalos Y, et al. Rhodopsin kinase and arrestin binding control the decay of photoactivated rhodopsin and dark adaptation of mouse rods. J Gen Physiol. 2016;148:1-11 pubmed publisher..inactivated by the phosphorylation of C-terminal serine and threonine residues by G-protein receptor kinase (Grk1) and subsequent binding of arrestin 1 (Arr1)...
- Fan J, Sakurai K, Chen C, Rohrer B, Wu B, Yau K, et al. Deletion of GRK1 causes retina degeneration through a transducin-independent mechanism. J Neurosci. 2010;30:2496-503 pubmed publisher..To determine the role of rhodopsin kinase (GRK1) in phosphorylating this opsin and to test whether eliminating this phosphorylation would accelerate ..
- Nikonov S, Daniele L, Zhu X, Craft C, Swaroop A, Pugh E. Photoreceptors of Nrl -/- mice coexpress functional S- and M-cone opsins having distinct inactivation mechanisms. J Gen Physiol. 2005;125:287-304 pubmed..The role of the G-protein receptor kinase Grk1 in cone pigment inactivation was investigated in recordings from Nrl-/-/Grk1-/- photoreceptors...
- Zhang H, Huang W, Zhang H, Zhu X, Craft C, Baehr W, et al. Light-dependent redistribution of visual arrestins and transducin subunits in mice with defective phototransduction. Mol Vis. 2003;9:231-7 pubmed..immunocytochemistry in dark- and light-adapted single knockout mice lacking G-protein coupled receptor kinase 1 (Grk1-/-) and double knockout mice lacking GRK1 and transducin alpha subunit (Grk1-/-/Gnat1-/-), or lacking GRK1 and ..
- Mendez A, Lem J, Simon M, Chen J. Light-dependent translocation of arrestin in the absence of rhodopsin phosphorylation and transducin signaling. J Neurosci. 2003;23:3124-9 pubmed..These results exclude passive diffusion and point toward active transport as the mechanism for light-dependent arrestin movement in rod photoreceptor cells. ..
- Ronquillo C, Hanke Gogokhia C, Revelo M, Frederick J, Jiang L, Baehr W. Ciliopathy-associated IQCB1/NPHP5 protein is required for mouse photoreceptor outer segment formation. FASEB J. 2016;30:3400-3412 pubmed..Ronquillo, C. C., Hanke-Gogokhia, C., Revelo, M. P., Frederick, J. M., Jiang, L., Baehr, W. Ciliopathy-associated IQCB1/NPHP5 protein is required for mouse photoreceptor outer segment formation. ..
- Whitcomb T, Sakurai K, Brown B, Young J, Sheflin L, Dlugos C, et al. Effect of g protein-coupled receptor kinase 1 (Grk1) overexpression on rod photoreceptor cell viability. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:1728-37 pubmed publisherPhotoreceptor rhodopsin kinase (Rk, G protein-dependent receptor kinase 1 [Grk1]) phosphorylates light-activated opsins and channels them into an inactive complex with visual arrestins...
- Chen C, Woodruff M, Chen F, Chen Y, Cilluffo M, Tranchina D, et al. Modulation of mouse rod response decay by rhodopsin kinase and recoverin. J Neurosci. 2012;32:15998-6006 pubmed publisher..Rh* is turned off by phosphorylation by rhodopsin kinase [G-protein-coupled receptor kinase 1 (GRK1)] and subsequent binding of arrestin...
- Plant S, Arnett H, Ting J. Astroglial-derived lymphotoxin-alpha exacerbates inflammation and demyelination, but not remyelination. Glia. 2005;49:1-14 pubmed..Since Ltalpha is detrimental in inflammation and demyelination, but not necessary for remyelination and repair, inhibiting Ltalpha signaling may represent a promising strategy to treat MS. ..
- Zhu X, Brown B, Rife L, Craft C. Slowed photoresponse recovery and age-related degeneration in cones lacking G protein-coupled receptor kinase 1. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2006;572:133-9 pubmed
- Wong B, Chan J, Cazenave Gassiot A, Poh R, Foo J, Galam D, et al. Mfsd2a Is a Transporter for the Essential Ï‰-3 Fatty Acid Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) in Eye and Is Important for Photoreceptor Cell Development. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:10501-14 pubmed publisher..These findings identify LPC transport via Mfsd2a as an important pathway for DHA uptake in eye and for development of photoreceptor membrane discs. ..
- Ki S, Choi M, Lee C, Kim S. Galpha12 specifically regulates COX-2 induction by sphingosine 1-phosphate. Role for JNK-dependent ubiquitination and degradation of IkappaBalpha. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:1938-47 pubmed
- Yetemian R, Brown B, Craft C. Neovascularization, enhanced inflammatory response, and age-related cone dystrophy in the Nrl-/-Grk1-/- mouse retina. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:6196-206 pubmed publisher..zipper knockout (Nrl(-/-)) mice and double-knockout mice lacking G-protein-coupled receptor kinase 1 (Nrl(-/-)Grk1(-/-))...
- Osawa S, Jo R, Xiong Y, Reidel B, Tserentsoodol N, Arshavsky V, et al. Phosphorylation of G protein-coupled receptor kinase 1 (GRK1) is regulated by light but independent of phototransduction in rod photoreceptors. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:20923-9 pubmed publisherPhosphorylation of rhodopsin by G protein-coupled receptor kinase 1 (GRK1, or rhodopsin kinase) is critical for the deactivation of the phototransduction cascade in vertebrate photoreceptors...
- Hamer R, Nicholas S, Tranchina D, Liebman P, Lamb T. Multiple steps of phosphorylation of activated rhodopsin can account for the reproducibility of vertebrate rod single-photon responses. J Gen Physiol. 2003;122:419-44 pubmed..D., and F. Rieke. 2002. Neuron. 35:733-747.), also argue strongly against either feedback (including Ca2+-feedback) or depletion of any molecular species downstream to R* as the dominant cause of SPR reproducibility. ..
- Song X, Vishnivetskiy S, Gross O, Emelianoff K, Mendez A, Chen J, et al. Enhanced arrestin facilitates recovery and protects rods lacking rhodopsin phosphorylation. Curr Biol. 2009;19:700-5 pubmed publisher..unphosphorylated rhodopsin [7-10] can suppress uncontrolled signaling, bypassing receptor phosphorylation by rhodopsin kinase (RK) and replacing this two-step mechanism with a single-step deactivation in rod photoreceptors...