Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Grik5
Description: glutamate receptor, ionotropic, kainate 5 (gamma 2)
Alias: GluK5, GluRgamma2, KA2, glutamate receptor ionotropic, kainate 5, gluR gamma-2, glutamate receptor KA-2, glutamate receptor gamma-2
- Myers S, Dingledine R, Borges K. Genetic regulation of glutamate receptor ion channels. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 1999;39:221-41 pubmed..The promoters of the genes that encode the NR1, NR2B, NR2C, GluR1, GluR2, and KA2 subunits share several characteristics that include multiple transcriptional start sites within a CpG island, lack ..
- Templin J, Bang S, Soiza Reilly M, Berde C, Commons K. Patterned expression of ion channel genes in mouse dorsal raphe nucleus determined with the Allen Mouse Brain Atlas. Brain Res. 2012;1457:1-12 pubmed publisher..The identified genes likely contribute to unique excitable properties of different groups of neurons in the DR and may include novel pharmacologic targets for affective disorders. ..
- Jane D, Lodge D, Collingridge G. Kainate receptors: pharmacology, function and therapeutic potential. Neuropharmacology. 2009;56:90-113 pubmed publisher..This potential has now been confirmed in dental pain and migraine in initial studies in man. ..
- Cui S, Du P, Zhou X, Wang H. Developmental expression patterns of kainate receptors in the mouse spinal cord. Neuroreport. 2012;23:1012-6 pubmed publisher..At E16.5, Grik2 and Grik3 were mainly expressed in the dorsal horns whereas Grik5 was expressed in the entire spinal cord...
- Sakimura K, Morita T, Kushiya E, Mishina M. Primary structure and expression of the gamma 2 subunit of the glutamate receptor channel selective for kainate. Neuron. 1992;8:267-74 pubmed..Expression of the gamma 2 subunit together with the beta 2 subunit in Xenopus oocytes yields functional glutamate receptor channels selective for kainate. ..
- Vivithanaporn P, Yan S, Swanson G. Intracellular trafficking of KA2 kainate receptors mediated by interactions with coatomer protein complex I (COPI) and 14-3-3 chaperone systems. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:15475-84 pubmed..protein complex I (COPI) vesicle coat as a critical mechanism for retention of the kainate receptor subunit KA2 in the endoplasmic reticulum...
- Darstein M, Petralia R, Swanson G, Wenthold R, Heinemann S. Distribution of kainate receptor subunits at hippocampal mossy fiber synapses. J Neurosci. 2003;23:8013-9 pubmed..We provide morphological evidence for the presynaptic localization of KA1 and KA2 receptor subunits at mossy fiber synapses...
- Contractor A, Sailer A, Darstein M, Maron C, Xu J, Swanson G, et al. Loss of kainate receptor-mediated heterosynaptic facilitation of mossy-fiber synapses in KA2-/- mice. J Neurosci. 2003;23:422-9 pubmed..The KA2 subunit is a likely constituent of many neuronal kainate receptors, because it is widely expressed in most neurons ..
- Kerchner G, Wilding T, Huettner J, Zhuo M. Kainate receptor subunits underlying presynaptic regulation of transmitter release in the dorsal horn. J Neurosci. 2002;22:8010-7 pubmed..These results highlight fundamental differences in KA receptor physiology between the two cell types and suggest possible strategies for the pharmacological modulation of nociception. ..
- Jabłońska B, Smith A, Kossut M, Skangiel Kramska J. Development of laminar distributions of kainate receptors in the somatosensory cortex of mice. Brain Res. 1998;791:325-9 pubmed..The sharp increase of kainate receptor during the first postnatal week coincides with the critical period for cytoarchitectonic plasticity of the barrels and establishment of functional thalamo-cortical connections in the barrel field. ..
- Zhang C, Hammassaki Britto D, Britto L, Duvoisin R. Expression of glutamate receptor subunit genes during development of the mouse retina. Neuroreport. 1996;8:335-40 pubmed..This suggests they play a role in the processes of neuronal differentiation and synaptogenesis that occur during the early postnatal days in the rodent retina. ..
- Szpirer C, Molné M, Antonacci R, Jenkins N, Finelli P, Szpirer J, et al. The genes encoding the glutamate receptor subunits KA1 and KA2 (GRIK4 and GRIK5) are located on separate chromosomes in human, mouse, and rat. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:11849-53 pubmed..of the human and rat genes encoding the kainate-preferring glutamate receptor subunits KA1 and KA2 (GRIK4 and GRIK5, respectively) was determined by Southern analysis of rat x mouse and human x mouse somatic cell hybrid panels and ..
- Rebola N, Sachidhanandam S, Perrais D, Cunha R, Mulle C. Short-term plasticity of kainate receptor-mediated EPSCs induced by NMDA receptors at hippocampal mossy fiber synapses. J Neurosci. 2007;27:3987-93 pubmed..Hence, this study describes a form of short-term synaptic plasticity that is postsynaptic, depends on the temporal order of presynaptic and postsynaptic spiking, and likely affects the summation properties of mossy fiber EPSPs. ..
- Ruiz A, Sachidhanandam S, Utvik J, Coussen F, Mulle C. Distinct subunits in heteromeric kainate receptors mediate ionotropic and metabotropic function at hippocampal mossy fiber synapses. J Neurosci. 2005;25:11710-8 pubmedHeteromeric kainate receptors (KARs) containing both glutamate receptor 6 (GluR6) and KA2 subunits are involved in KAR-mediated EPSCs at mossy fiber synapses in CA3 pyramidal cells...
- Fernandes H, Catches J, Petralia R, Copits B, Xu J, Russell T, et al. High-affinity kainate receptor subunits are necessary for ionotropic but not metabotropic signaling. Neuron. 2009;63:818-29 pubmed publisherKainate receptors signal through both ionotropic and metabotropic pathways. The high-affinity subunits, GluK4 and GluK5, are unique among the five receptor subunits, as they do not form homomeric receptors but modify the properties of ..
- Fujikawa T, Petralia R, Fitzgerald T, Wang Y, Millis B, Morgado DÃaz J, et al. Localization of kainate receptors in inner and outer hair cell synapses. Hear Res. 2014;314:20-32 pubmed publisher..KARs are expressed in hair cell synapses, we performed X-gal staining on mice expressing lacZ driven by the GluK5 promoter, and immunolabeling of glutamate receptors in whole-mount mammalian cochleae...