Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gna11
Description: guanine nucleotide binding protein, alpha 11
Alias: Dsk7, E430025L19, guanine nucleotide-binding protein subunit alpha-11, G-protein subunit alpha-11, g alpha-11
- Wang S, Chennupati R, Kaur H, Iring A, Wettschureck N, Offermanns S. Endothelial cation channel PIEZO1 controls blood pressure by mediating flow-induced ATP release. J Clin Invest. 2016;126:4527-4536 pubmed publisher..Together, our data demonstrate that PIEZO1 is required for the regulation of NO formation, vascular tone, and blood pressure. ..
- Lawler O, Miggin S, Kinsella B. Protein kinase A-mediated phosphorylation of serine 357 of the mouse prostacyclin receptor regulates its coupling to G(s)-, to G(i)-, and to G(q)-coupled effector signaling. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:33596-607 pubmed
- Krause M, Offermanns S, Stocker M, Pedarzani P. Functional specificity of G alpha q and G alpha 11 in the cholinergic and glutamatergic modulation of potassium currents and excitability in hippocampal neurons. J Neurosci. 2002;22:666-73 pubmed..These results provide to our knowledge one of the first examples of the functional specificity of Galpha(q) and Galpha(11) in central neurons. ..
- Kero J, Ahmed K, Wettschureck N, Tunaru S, Wintermantel T, Greiner E, et al. Thyrocyte-specific Gq/G11 deficiency impairs thyroid function and prevents goiter development. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:2399-407 pubmed..Our data suggest that Gq/G11 and their downstream effectors are promising targets to interfere with increased thyroid function and growth. ..
- Dela Cruz A, Grynpas M, Mitchell J. Overexpression of GÎ±11 in Osteoblast Lineage Cells Suppresses the Osteoanabolic Response to Intermittent PTH and Exercise. Calcif Tissue Int. 2016;99:423-34 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results suggest that osteoblastic upregulation of GÎ±11 is inhibitory to osteoanabolic actions of both PTH and exercise, and that its suppression may be a promising target for treating bone loss. ..
- Hoyer D, Korkmaz Y, Grönke S, Addicks K, Wettschureck N, Offermanns S, et al. Differential expression of protein kinase C isoforms in coronary arteries of diabetic mice lacking the G-protein G?11. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2010;9:93 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a mechanism that may in part underlie the therapeutic benefit of RAS inhibition on cardiovascular endpoints in diabetic patients. ..
- Mejia R, Waite C, Ascoli M. Activation of Gq/11 in the mouse corpus luteum is required for parturition. Mol Endocrinol. 2015;29:238-46 pubmed publisher..This novel molecular defect contributes to the subfertile phenotype of the mice with a deletion of GÎ±(q/11) from granulosa cells. ..
- Johnson G, Leis L, Dunlop P. Specificity of G alpha q and G alpha 11 gene expression in platelets and erythrocytes. Expressions of cellular differentiation and species differences. Biochem J. 1996;318 ( Pt 3):1023-31 pubmedG alpha q and G alpha 11, members of the Gq family of G-proteins, transduce signals from receptors to the beta isoenzymes of phosphatidyl-inositol-specific phospholipase C (PI-PLC)...
- Pahlavan S, Oberhofer M, Sauer B, Ruppenthal S, Tian Q, Scholz A, et al. G?q and G?11 contribute to the maintenance of cellular electrophysiology and Ca2+ handling in ventricular cardiomyocytes. Cardiovasc Res. 2012;95:48-58 pubmed publisher..We created a conditional G?(q) knockout (KO) after tamoxifen injection into gnaq(flox/flox) gna11(-/-) ?-MHC Cre(tg/0) mice and found alterations in the electrophysiological and Ca(2+) handling properties of ..
- Dela Cruz A, Grynpas M, Mitchell J. Elevated GÎ±11 expression in osteoblast lineage cells promotes osteoclastogenesis and leads to enhanced trabecular bone accrual in response to pamidronate. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2016;310:E811-20 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, overexpression of GÎ±11 in osteoblastic cells promotes osteoclastogenesis by upregulation of Rankl and M-csf and bone loss by increased osteoclast resorption of the trabecular bone and cartilaginous matrix. ..
- Mikelis C, Simaan M, Ando K, Fukuhara S, Sakurai A, Amornphimoltham P, et al. RhoA and ROCK mediate histamine-induced vascular leakage and anaphylactic shock. Nat Commun. 2015;6:6725 pubmed publisher..This study supports a key role for the RhoA signalling circuitry in vascular permeability, thereby identifying novel pharmacological targets for many human diseases characterized by aberrant vascular leakage. ..
- Shihan M, Kirch U, Scheiner Bobis G. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate mediates activation of transcription factors CREB and ATF-1 via a G?11-coupled receptor in the spermatogenic cell line GC-2. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:3064-3075 pubmed publisher..Since DHEAS is produced in male and female reproductive organs, these findings could help to define new roles for DHEAS in the physiology of reproduction. ..
- Moers A, Nürnberg A, Goebbels S, Wettschureck N, Offermanns S. Galpha12/Galpha13 deficiency causes localized overmigration of neurons in the developing cerebral and cerebellar cortices. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:1480-8 pubmed..Our data indicate that G(12)/G(13)-coupled receptors mediate stop signals and are required for the proper positioning of migrating cortical plate neurons and Purkinje cells during development. ..
- Breen S, Andric N, Ping T, Xie F, Offermans S, Gossen J, et al. Ovulation involves the luteinizing hormone-dependent activation of G(q/11) in granulosa cells. Mol Endocrinol. 2013;27:1483-91 pubmed publisher..This is the first conclusive evidence for the physiological importance of the activation of Gq/11 by the LHR and for the involvement of G?q/11 in ovulation. ..
- Nakakura T, Mogi C, Tobo M, Tomura H, Sato K, Kobayashi M, et al. Deficiency of proton-sensing ovarian cancer G protein-coupled receptor 1 attenuates glucose-stimulated insulin secretion. Endocrinology. 2012;153:4171-80 pubmed publisher..4 and further stimulated by acidification, resulting in the enhancement of insulin secretion in response to high glucose concentrations and KCl. ..
- Osmundsen H, Landin M, From S, Kolltveit K, Risnes S. Changes in gene-expression during development of the murine molar tooth germ. Arch Oral Biol. 2007;52:803-13 pubmed..Such data is therefore useful in directing attention towards genes, or cellular activities, which likely are worthy of further studies as regards their involvement in odontogenesis...
- Aoyama C, Sugimoto H, Ando H, Yamashita S, Horibata Y, Sugimoto S, et al. The heterotrimeric G protein subunits G?(q) and G?(1) have lysophospholipase D activity. Biochem J. 2011;440:241-50 pubmed publisher..Clarification of the physiological relevance of lysoPLD activity of these proteins will need further studies. ..
- Rieken S, Herroeder S, Sassmann A, Wallenwein B, Moers A, Offermanns S, et al. Lysophospholipids control integrin-dependent adhesion in splenic B cells through G(i) and G(12)/G(13) family G-proteins but not through G(q)/G(11). J Biol Chem. 2006;281:36985-92 pubmed..Taken together, this study shows that lysophospholipids regulate integrin-mediated adhesion of splenic B cells to ICAM-1 through G(i) and G(12)/G(13) family G-proteins but not through G(q)/G(11). ..
- Korhonen H, Fisslthaler B, Moers A, Wirth A, Habermehl D, Wieland T, et al. Anaphylactic shock depends on endothelial Gq/G11. J Exp Med. 2009;206:411-20 pubmed publisher..This identifies endothelial G(q)/G(11)-mediated signaling as a critical mediator of fatal systemic anaphylaxis and, hence, as a potential new target to prevent or treat anaphylactic reactions. ..
- Winter S, Brunk I, Walther D, Höltje M, Jiang M, Peter J, et al. Galphao2 regulates vesicular glutamate transporter activity by changing its chloride dependence. J Neurosci. 2005;25:4672-80 pubmed..Thus, Galpha(o2) acts on a putative regulatory chloride binding domain that appears to modulate transport activity of vesicular glutamate transporters. ..
- Hartmann J, Blum R, Kovalchuk Y, Adelsberger H, Kuner R, Durand G, et al. Distinct roles of Galpha(q) and Galpha11 for Purkinje cell signaling and motor behavior. J Neurosci. 2004;24:5119-30 pubmed..Our findings suggest an expression level-dependent action of Galpha(q) and Galpha11 for Purkinje cell signaling and assign specific roles of these two G(q) isoforms for motor coordination. ..
- Kleppisch T, Voigt V, Allmann R, Offermanns S. G(alpha)q-deficient mice lack metabotropic glutamate receptor-dependent long-term depression but show normal long-term potentiation in the hippocampal CA1 region. J Neurosci. 2001;21:4943-8 pubmed..These results show that G(q) plays a crucial role in the mGluR-dependent LTD, whereas hippocampal LTP is not affected by the lack of a single member of the G(q) family. ..
- Strathmann M, Wilkie T, Simon M. Diversity of the G-protein family: sequences from five additional alpha subunits in the mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:7407-9 pubmed..In addition, we found sequences corresponding to five newly discovered alpha subunits. Our results suggest that the complexity of the G protein family is much greater than previously suspected. ..
- Gorvin C, Hannan F, Howles S, Babinsky V, Piret S, Rogers A, et al. GÎ±11 mutation in mice causes hypocalcemia rectifiable by calcilytic therapy. JCI Insight. 2017;2:e91103 pubmed publisher..We hypothesized that a previously reported dark skin mouse mutant (Dsk7) - which has a germline hypermorphic GÎ±11 mutation, Ile62Val - may be a model for ADH2 and allow ..
- Hoyer D, Grönke S, Frank K, Addicks K, Wettschureck N, Offermanns S, et al. Diabetes-related defects in sarcoplasmic Ca2+ release are prevented by inactivation of G(alpha)11 and G(alpha)q in murine cardiomyocytes. Mol Cell Biochem. 2010;341:235-44 pubmed publisher..6, annexin A7, and sorcin. ..
- Wettschureck N, Moers A, Wallenwein B, Parlow A, Maser Gluth C, Offermanns S. Loss of Gq/11 family G proteins in the nervous system causes pituitary somatotroph hypoplasia and dwarfism in mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:1942-8 pubmed..mice which lack the genes coding for the alpha subunits of the two main members of the Gq/11 family, gnaq and gna11, selectively in neuronal and glial precursor cells...
- Stanislaus D, Janovick J, Ji T, Wilkie T, Offermanns S, Conn P. Gonadotropin and gonadal steroid release in response to a gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist in Gqalpha and G11alpha knockout mice. Endocrinology. 1998;139:2710-7 pubmed
- Smrcka A, Hepler J, Brown K, Sternweis P. Regulation of polyphosphoinositide-specific phospholipase C activity by purified Gq. Science. 1991;251:804-7 pubmed..Both the maximal activity and the affinity of PI-PLC for calcium ion were affected. These results identify Gq as a G protein that regulates PI-PLC. ..
- Szereszewski J, Pampillo M, Ahow M, Offermanns S, Bhattacharya M, Babwah A. GPR54 regulates ERK1/2 activity and hypothalamic gene expression in a G?(q/11) and ?-arrestin-dependent manner. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12964 pubmed publisher..These new and exciting findings add significantly to our mechanistic understanding of how this important receptor signals intracellularly in response to kisspeptin stimulation. ..
- Takefuji M, Wirth A, Lukasova M, Takefuji S, Boettger T, Braun T, et al. G(13)-mediated signaling pathway is required for pressure overload-induced cardiac remodeling and heart failure. Circulation. 2012;126:1972-82 pubmed publisher..Our data show that the G(12/13) family of heterotrimeric G proteins is centrally involved in pressure overload-induced cardiac remodeling and plays a central role in the transition to heart failure. ..
- Dela Cruz A, Mattocks M, Sugamori K, Grynpas M, Mitchell J. Reduced trabecular bone mass and strength in mice overexpressing G?11 protein in cells of the osteoblast lineage. Bone. 2014;59:211-22 pubmed publisher..Here we generated pOBCol3.6-GNA11 transgenic mice that overexpress G?11 protein in cells of the osteoblast lineage (G11-Tg mice)...
- Wang Q, Chikina M, Pincas H, Sealfon S. Homer1 alternative splicing is regulated by gonadotropin-releasing hormone and modulates gonadotropin gene expression. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:1747-56 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the regulation of Homer1 splicing by GnRH contributes to gonadotropin gene control. ..
- Waite C, Mejia R, Ascoli M. Gq/11-Dependent Changes in the Murine Ovarian Transcriptome at the End of Gestation. Biol Reprod. 2016;94:62 pubmed publisher..Thus, although the ovarian transcriptome at the end of gestation is highly dependent on the activation of Gq/11, not all of these changes are dependent on the actions of prostaglandin F2 alpha. ..
- Taylor S, Chae H, Rhee S, Exton J. Activation of the beta 1 isozyme of phospholipase C by alpha subunits of the Gq class of G proteins. Nature. 1991;350:516-8 pubmed..We also show that this protein is related to the Gq class of G protein alpha subunits. ..
- Ivey K, Tyson B, Ukidwe P, McFadden D, Levi G, Olson E, et al. Galphaq and Galpha11 proteins mediate endothelin-1 signaling in neural crest-derived pharyngeal arch mesenchyme. Dev Biol. 2003;255:230-7 pubmed..We conclude that the Galpha(q) and Galpha(11) proteins serve as the intracellular mediators of ET-1 signaling in the pharyngeal arch mesenchyme. ..
- Wettschureck N, Lee E, Libutti S, Offermanns S, Robey P, Spiegel A. Parathyroid-specific double knockout of Gq and G11 alpha-subunits leads to a phenotype resembling germline knockout of the extracellular Ca2+ -sensing receptor. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:274-80 pubmed..Mice that were PTH-Cre(+/-); Gnaq(flox/flox); Gna11(-/-) (PTH-Galphaq/Galpha11 -double knockouts) were viable, but showed all the features of germline knockout of the ..
- Meis S, Munsch T, Sosulina L, Pape H. Postsynaptic mechanisms underlying responsiveness of amygdaloid neurons to cholecystokinin are mediated by a transient receptor potential-like current. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2007;35:356-67 pubmed..Single cell PCR confirmed the expression of TRPC1,4,5 and coexpression of TRPC1 with TRPC4 or TRPC5 in some cells. CCK responses were associated with depolarization leading to an increase in cell excitability. ..
- Xu X, Croy J, Zeng W, Zhao L, Davignon I, Popov S, et al. Promiscuous coupling of receptors to Gq class alpha subunits and effector proteins in pancreatic and submandibular gland cells. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:27275-9 pubmed
- Sewell J, Kahn R. Sequences of the bovine and yeast ADP-ribosylation factor and comparison to other GTP-binding proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:4620-4 pubmed..These results demonstrate that ARF is a GTP-binding protein with structural features of both the ras and the trimeric GTP-binding protein families. ..
- Rambhatla L, Patel B, Dhanasekaran N, Latham K. Analysis of G protein alpha subunit mRNA abundance in preimplantation mouse embryos using a rapid, quantitative RT-PCR approach. Mol Reprod Dev. 1995;41:314-24 pubmed..patterns of expression of nine G protein alpha subunit mRNAs (G alpha s, G alpha i, G alpha q, G alpha o, and G alpha 11-15) in oocytes, eggs, and preimplantation embryos from fertilization to the blastocyst stage...
- Babwah A, Navarro V, Ahow M, Pampillo M, Nash C, Fayazi M, et al. GnRH Neuron-Specific Ablation of GÎ±q/11 Results in Only Partial Inactivation of the Neuroendocrine-Reproductive Axis in Both Male and Female Mice: In Vivo Evidence for Kiss1r-Coupled GÎ±q/11-Independent GnRH Secretion. J Neurosci. 2015;35:12903-16 pubmed publisher..To test this, Gnaq (encodes GÎ±q) was selectively inactivated in the GnRH neurons of global Gna11 (encodes GÎ±11)-null mice by crossing Gnrh-Cre and Gnaq(fl/fl);Gna11(-/-) mice...
- Rusu L, Andreeva A, Visintine D, Kim K, Vogel S, Stojanovic Terpo A, et al. G protein-dependent basal and evoked endothelial cell vWF secretion. Blood. 2014;123:442-50 pubmed publisher..Discovery of obligatory and complementary roles of G?12 and G?q/11 in basal vs evoked EC vWF secretion may provide promising new therapeutic strategies for treatment of thrombotic disease. ..
- Van Raamsdonk C, Fitch K, Fuchs H, de Angelis M, Barsh G. Effects of G-protein mutations on skin color. Nat Genet. 2004;36:961-8 pubmed..We identified three of four such mutations as hypermorphic alleles of Gnaq and Gna11, which encode widely expressed Galphaq subunits, act in an additive and quantitative manner, and require Ednrb...
- Nussbaum C, Bannenberg S, Keul P, GrÃ¤ler M, GonÃ§alves de Albuquerque C, Korhonen H, et al. Sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor 3 promotes leukocyte rolling by mobilizing endothelial P-selectin. Nat Commun. 2015;6:6416 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify S1P as a direct and indirect contributor to leukocyte rolling and characterize the receptors mediating its action. ..
- Szekeres M, NÃ¡dasy G, Turu G, SoltÃ©sz Katona E, BenyÃ³ Z, Offermanns S, et al. Endocannabinoid-mediated modulation of Gq/11 protein-coupled receptor signaling-induced vasoconstriction and hypertension. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015;403:46-56 pubmed publisher..Thus, the selective modulation of GPCR signaling-induced endocannabinoid release has a therapeutic potential in case of increased vascular tone and hypertension. ..
- Satterthwaite A, Willis F, Kanchanastit P, Fruman D, Cantley L, Helgason C, et al. A sensitized genetic system for the analysis of murine B lymphocyte signal transduction pathways dependent on Bruton's tyrosine kinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:6687-92 pubmed..A transgenic system creating a reduction in dosage of Btk can therefore be used to identify modifier loci that affect B cell responses and quantitatively rank their contribution to Btk-mediated processes. ..
- Strathmann M, Simon M. G protein diversity: a distinct class of alpha subunits is present in vertebrates and invertebrates. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:9113-7 pubmed..We have now obtained cDNA clones encoding two murine alpha subunits, G alpha q and G alpha 11, that are 88% identical...
- Miura M, Watanabe M, Offermanns S, Simon M, Kano M. Group I metabotropic glutamate receptor signaling via Galpha q/Galpha 11 secures the induction of long-term potentiation in the hippocampal area CA1. J Neurosci. 2002;22:8379-90 pubmed..These results indicate that the signaling from group I mGluR to PKC involving Galphaq/Galpha11 does not constitute the main pathway for LTP, but it secures LTP induction by lowering its threshold in the hippocampal area CA1. ..
- Hughes S, Jagannath A, Hickey D, Gatti S, Wood M, Peirson S, et al. Using siRNA to define functional interactions between melanopsin and multiple G Protein partners. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2015;72:165-79 pubmed publisher..Here we show that Gnaq, Gna11 and Gna14 are highly co-expressed in pRGCs of the mouse retina...
- Chew K, Schmidt T, Rupp A, Kofuji P, Trimarchi J. Loss of gq/11 genes does not abolish melanopsin phototransduction. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e98356 pubmed publisher..Several studies of melanopsin phototransduction have implicated a G-protein of the Gq/11 family, which consists of Gna11, Gna14, Gnaq and Gna15, in melanopsin-evoked depolarization...
- Goulimari P, Kitzing T, Knieling H, Brandt D, Offermanns S, Grosse R. Galpha12/13 is essential for directed cell migration and localized Rho-Dia1 function. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:42242-51 pubmed..Thus, we identified Galpha12/13-proteins as essential components linking extracellular signals to localized Rho-Dia1 function during directed cell movement. ..
- Sato T, Kawamura Y, Asai R, Amano T, Uchijima Y, Dettlaff Swiercz D, et al. Recombinase-mediated cassette exchange reveals the selective use of Gq/G11-dependent and -independent endothelin 1/endothelin type A receptor signaling in pharyngeal arch development. Development. 2008;135:755-65 pubmed publisher..This RMCE-mediated knock-in system can serve as a useful tool for studies on gene functions in craniofacial development. ..
- Ngai J, Methi T, Andressen K, Levy F, Torgersen K, Vang T, et al. The heterotrimeric G-protein alpha-subunit Galphaq regulates TCR-mediated immune responses through an Lck-dependent pathway. Eur J Immunol. 2008;38:3208-18 pubmed publisher..Together these data argue for a role of Galphaq in the fine-tuning of proximal TCR signals at the level of Lck and a negative regulatory role of Galphaq in transcriptional activation of cytokine responses. ..
- Guilini C, Urayama K, Turkeri G, Dedeoglu D, Kurose H, Messaddeq N, et al. Divergent roles of prokineticin receptors in the endothelial cells: angiogenesis and fenestration. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010;298:H844-52 pubmed publisher..Our findings show the functional characteristics of coronary endothelial cells depend on the expression of PKR1 and PKR2 levels and the divergent signaling pathways used by these receptors. ..
- Sassmann A, Offermanns S, Wettschureck N. Tamoxifen-inducible Cre-mediated recombination in adipocytes. Genesis. 2010;48:618-25 pubmed publisher..Therefore the AdipoqCreER(T)² mouse line will be a valuable tool for studying the consequences of a temporally controlled deletion of floxed genes in white adipose tissue. ..
- Gangadharan V, Selvaraj D, Kurejova M, Njoo C, Gritsch S, Skoricová D, et al. A novel biological role for the phospholipid lysophosphatidylinositol in nociceptive sensitization via activation of diverse G-protein signalling pathways in sensory nerves in vivo. Pain. 2013;154:2801-12 pubmed publisher..This study thus reports a novel pathophysiological function for LPI and elucidates underlying molecular mechanisms. ..
- Patel B, Tall G. Ric-8A gene deletion or phorbol ester suppresses tumorigenesis in a mouse model of GNAQ(Q209L)-driven melanoma. Oncogenesis. 2016;5:e236 pubmed publisherThe heterotrimeric G protein ? subunit oncogenes GNAQ or GNA11 carry Q209X or R183X activating mutations and are present with ~90% frequency in human uveal melanomas...
- Pashkov V, Huang J, Parameswara V, Kedzierski W, Kurrasch D, Tall G, et al. Regulator of G protein signaling (RGS16) inhibits hepatic fatty acid oxidation in a carbohydrate response element-binding protein (ChREBP)-dependent manner. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:15116-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, RGS16 provides a signaling mechanism for glucose production to inhibit GPCR-stimulated fatty acid oxidation in hepatocytes. ..
- Dettlaff Swiercz D, Wettschureck N, Moers A, Huber K, Offermanns S. Characteristic defects in neural crest cell-specific Galphaq/Galpha11- and Galpha12/Galpha13-deficient mice. Dev Biol. 2005;282:174-82 pubmed..In contrast, ET-3/ET(B)-mediated development of neural crest-derived melanocytes and enteric neurons appears to involve G-proteins different from G(q)/G(11)/G(12)/G(13). ..
- Giannotta M, Ruggiero C, Grossi M, Cancino J, Capitani M, Pulvirenti T, et al. The KDEL receptor couples to G?q/11 to activate Src kinases and regulate transport through the Golgi. EMBO J. 2012;31:2869-81 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal an unexpected GPCR-like mode of action of the KDEL-R and shed light on a core molecular control mechanism of intra-Golgi traffic. ..
- Haley J, Delmas P, Offermanns S, Abogadie F, Simon M, Buckley N, et al. Muscarinic inhibition of calcium current and M current in Galpha q-deficient mice. J Neurosci. 2000;20:3973-9 pubmed