Genomes and Genes
glycine N methyltransferase
Gene Symbol: glycine N methyltransferase
Description: glycine N-methyltransferase
Alias: glycine N-methyltransferase, glycine N methyl transferase
Products: glycine N methyltransferase
- Liao Y, Liu S, Lee C, Yen C, Chuang P, Chen C, et al. Characterization of a glycine N-methyltransferase gene knockout mouse model for hepatocellular carcinoma: Implications of the gender disparity in liver cancer susceptibility. Int J Cancer. 2009;124:816-26 pubmed publisher..Therefore, GNMT is a tumor suppressor gene for liver cancer, and it is associated with gender disparity in liver cancer susceptibility. ..
- Martínez Chantar M, Vazquez Chantada M, Ariz U, Martinez N, Varela M, Luka Z, et al. Loss of the glycine N-methyltransferase gene leads to steatosis and hepatocellular carcinoma in mice. Hepatology. 2008;47:1191-9 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that loss of GNMT induces aberrant methylation of DNA and histones, resulting in epigenetic modulation of critical carcinogenic pathways in mice. ..
- Liu S, Li Y, Chen Y, Chiang E, Li A, Lee Y, et al. Glycine N-methyltransferase-/- mice develop chronic hepatitis and glycogen storage disease in the liver. Hepatology. 2007;46:1413-25 pubmed
- Bird A, Tan K, Olsson P, Zieba M, Flecknoe S, Liddicoat D, et al. Identification of glucocorticoid-regulated genes that control cell proliferation during murine respiratory development. J Physiol. 2007;585:187-201 pubmed..Amongst these processes is cell proliferation whereby GR induces expression of cell cycle repressors while suppressing induction of a well characterized cell cycle stimulator. ..
- Aida K, Tawata M, Negishi M, Onaya T. Mouse glycine N-methyltransferase is sexually dimorphic and regulated by growth hormone. Horm Metab Res. 1997;29:646-9 pubmed..Treatment with GH of hypophysectomized male mice twice a day for 5 days decreased the expression. These results indicate that the sex difference of the mouse GNMT expression is regulated by GH secretion patterns. ..
- Pakhomova S, Luka Z, Grohmann S, Wagner C, Newcomer M. Glycine N-methyltransferases: a comparison of the crystal structures and kinetic properties of recombinant human, mouse and rat enzymes. Proteins. 2004;57:331-7 pubmed..There is an increase in kcat when going from rat to mouse to human, suggesting a correlation with the increased flexibility of some structural elements of the respective enzymes. ..
- Luka Z, Capdevila A, Mato J, Wagner C. A glycine N-methyltransferase knockout mouse model for humans with deficiency of this enzyme. Transgenic Res. 2006;15:393-7 pubmed..The ratio of SAM/SAH increased from 3 in WT to 300 in livers of homozygous transgenic mice. This suggests a possible significant change in methylation in the liver and other organs where GNMT is expressed. ..
- Li C, Lin M, Chu S, Tu P, Fang C, Yen C, et al. Role of glycine N-methyltransferase in the regulation of T-cell responses in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Mol Med. 2015;20:684-96 pubmed publisher..In summary, our findings suggest that GNMT is involved in the pathogenesis of EAE and plays a crucial role in the regulation of CD4(+) T-cell functions. ..
- Carrasco M, Rabaneda L, Murillo Carretero M, Ortega Martinez S, Martinez Chantar M, Woodhoo A, et al. Glycine N-methyltransferase expression in the hippocampus and its role in neurogenesis and cognitive performance. Hippocampus. 2014;24:840-52 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that alterations in the concentration of SAMe impair neurogenesis and contribute to cognitive decline. ..
- Chou W, Zhao J, Chen Y, Lee K, Su K, Shyue S, et al. Role of glycine N-methyltransferase in experimental ulcerative colitis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014;29:494-501 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings suggest that GNMT may be a crucial molecule in the pathogenesis of DSS-induced colitis. This finding may provide new information for a potential therapeutic target in treating IBD. ..
- Wang Y, Lin W, Lin Y, Tang F, Chen Y, Chiang E. A novel role of the tumor suppressor GNMT in cellular defense against DNA damage. Int J Cancer. 2014;134:799-810 pubmed publisher..The present study gives new insights into the underlying mechanism by which GNMT can participate in tumor prevention/suppression in humans...
- Martínez Uña M, Varela Rey M, Cano A, Fernández Ares L, Beraza N, Aurrekoetxea I, et al. Excess S-adenosylmethionine reroutes phosphatidylethanolamine towards phosphatidylcholine and triglyceride synthesis. Hepatology. 2013;58:1296-305 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that excess SAMe reroutes PE towards PC and TG synthesis and lipid sequestration. ..
- MartÃnez LÃ³pez N, GarcÃa RodrÃguez J, Varela Rey M, GutiÃ©rrez V, FernÃ¡ndez Ramos D, Beraza N, et al. Hepatoma cells from mice deficient in glycine N-methyltransferase have increased RAS signaling and activation of liver kinase B1. Gastroenterology. 2012;143:787-798.e13 pubmed publisher..Reagents that disrupt this pathway might be developed to treat patients with HCC. ..
- Yang C, Wang H, Tsai T, Fan A, Hsu C, Chen C, et al. Characterization of the neuropsychological phenotype of glycine N-methyltransferase-/- mice and evaluation of its responses to clozapine and sarcosine treatments. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2012;22:596-606 pubmed publisher..GNMT plays an important role in maintaining normal physiological function of brain and Tg-GNMT/Gnmt-/- mice are useful models for development of therapeutics for patients with schizophrenia. ..
- Liao Y, Chen T, Lee T, Wang H, Wang C, Liao L, et al. Glycine N-methyltransferase deficiency affects Niemann-Pick type C2 protein stability and regulates hepatic cholesterol homeostasis. Mol Med. 2012;18:412-22 pubmed publisher..Novel therapeutics for steatohepatitis and HCC may be developed by using this concept. ..