Genomes and Genes
glycerol 3 phosphate dehydrogenase
Gene Symbol: glycerol 3 phosphate dehydrogenase
Description: glycerol phosphate dehydrogenase 2, mitochondrial
Alias: AA408484, AI448216, AU021455, AW494132, GPDH, Gdm1, Gpd-m, Gpdh-m, TISP38, glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase, mitochondrial, FAD-linked glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase, glycerol phosphate dehydrogenase 1, mitochondrial, glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase 2, mitochondrial
Products: glycerol 3 phosphate dehydrogenase
- Anunciado Koza R, Ukropec J, Koza R, Kozak L. Inactivation of UCP1 and the glycerol phosphate cycle synergistically increases energy expenditure to resist diet-induced obesity. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:27688-97 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, a new paradigm for obesity emerges in which the inactivation of major thermogenic pathways force the induction of alternative pathways that increase metabolic inefficiency. ..
- Matsutani A, Takeuchi Y, Ishihara H, Kuwano S, Oka Y. Molecular cloning of human mitochondrial glycerophosphate dehydrogenase gene: genomic structure, chromosomal localization, and existence of a pseudogene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;223:481-6 pubmed..Genomic cloning also identified a pseudogene located on chromosome 19q13.4. These results provide information useful for analyzing the mGPDH gene in patients with non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. ..
- Moriyama M, Fujimoto Y, Rikimaru S, Ushikai M, Kuroda E, Kawabe K, et al. Mechanism for increased hepatic glycerol synthesis in the citrin/mitochondrial glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase double-knockout mouse: Urine glycerol and glycerol 3-phosphate as potential diagnostic markers of human citrin deficiency. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1852:1787-95 pubmed publisher..Therefore, urine G3P and glycerol may represent potential diagnostic markers for human citrin deficiency. ..
- Anunciado Koza R, Zhang J, Ukropec J, Bajpeyi S, Koza R, Rogers R, et al. Inactivation of the mitochondrial carrier SLC25A25 (ATP-Mg2+/Pi transporter) reduces physical endurance and metabolic efficiency in mice. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:11659-71 pubmed publisher..However, in the absence of UCP1-based thermogenesis, induction of Slc25a25 in mice with an intact gene may contribute to an alternative thermogenic pathway for the maintenance of body temperature during cold stress. ..
- Ravier M, Eto K, Jonkers F, Nenquin M, Kadowaki T, Henquin J. The oscillatory behavior of pancreatic islets from mice with mitochondrial glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase knockout. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:1587-93 pubmed..The oscillatory behavior of beta cells does not depend on the functioning of mGPDH and on metabolic oscillations that would be generated by cyclic activation of this enzyme by Ca(2+). ..
- Brown L, Koza R, Marshall L, Kozak L, MacDonald M. Lethal hypoglycemic ketosis and glyceroluria in mice lacking both the mitochondrial and the cytosolic glycerol phosphate dehydrogenases. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:32899-904 pubmed
- Mollah M, Ishikawa A. A wild derived quantitative trait locus on mouse chromosome 2 prevents obesity. BMC Genet. 2010;11:84 pubmed publisher..A further understanding of this unique QTL effect at genetic and molecular levels may lead to the discovery of new biological and pathologic pathways associated with obesity. ..
- Alfadda A, DosSantos R, Stepanyan Z, Marrif H, Silva J. Mice with deletion of the mitochondrial glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase gene exhibit a thrifty phenotype: effect of gender. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2004;287:R147-56 pubmed..Lower T(4)-to-T(3) conversion in mGPD-/- females and a greater reliance of normal females on mGPD to respond to high-fat diets make the lack of the enzyme more consequential in the female gender. ..
- Saheki T, Inoue K, Ono H, Tushima A, Katsura N, Yokogawa M, et al. Metabolomic analysis reveals hepatic metabolite perturbations in citrin/mitochondrial glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase double-knockout mice, a model of human citrin deficiency. Mol Genet Metab. 2011;104:492-500 pubmed publisher..Overall, we have identified additional metabolic disturbances in double-KO mice following oral sucrose administration, and provided further evidence for the therapeutic use of sodium pyruvate in our mouse model of citrin deficiency. ..
- Eto K, Tsubamoto Y, Terauchi Y, Sugiyama T, Kishimoto T, Takahashi N, et al. Role of NADH shuttle system in glucose-induced activation of mitochondrial metabolism and insulin secretion. Science. 1999;283:981-5 pubmed..The NADH shuttle evidently couples glycolysis with activation of mitochondrial energy metabolism to trigger insulin secretion. ..
- Koza R, Kozak U, Brown L, Leiter E, MacDonald M, Kozak L. Sequence and tissue-dependent RNA expression of mouse FAD-linked glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1996;336:97-104 pubmed..between Mus spretus and C57BL/6J were used to map the mouse FAD-linked glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase gene (Gdm1) to chromosome 2, 33 cM from the centromere...
- Niedermeyer J, Enenkel B, Park J, Lenter M, Rettig W, Damm K, et al. Mouse fibroblast-activation protein--conserved Fap gene organization and biochemical function as a serine protease. Eur J Biochem. 1998;254:650-4 pubmed..Consistent with the similarity to DPP IV, a chimeric FAP fusion protein expressed in a baculovirus system has dipeptidyl peptidase activity. ..
- Mollah M, Ishikawa A. Intersubspecific subcongenic mouse strain analysis reveals closely linked QTLs with opposite effects on body weight. Mamm Genome. 2011;22:282-9 pubmed publisher..These findings illustrate the complex genetic nature of body weight regulation and support the importance of subcongenic mouse analysis to dissect closely linked loci. ..
- Barbera A, Gudayol M, Eto K, Corominola H, Maechler P, Miro O, et al. A high carbohydrate diet does not induce hyperglycaemia in a mitochondrial glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase-deficient mouse. Diabetologia. 2003;46:1394-401 pubmed..The phenotype of the mice with an impairment of NADH shuttles does not worsen when fed a high carbohydrate diet; moreover, the diet does not compromise islet function. ..