Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gjc3
Description: gap junction protein, gamma 3
Alias: Cx29, Gje1, gap junction gamma-3 protein, connexin-29, gap junction epsilon-1 protein, gap junction membrane channel protein epsilon 1
- Ahn M, Lee J, Gustafsson A, Enriquez A, Lancaster E, Sul J, et al. Cx29 and Cx32, two connexins expressed by myelinating glia, do not interact and are functionally distinct. J Neurosci Res. 2008;86:992-1006 pubmedIn rodents, oligodendrocytes and myelinating Schwann cells express connexin32 (Cx32) and Cx29, which have different localizations in the two cell types...
- Sohl G, Eiberger J, Jung Y, Kozak C, Willecke K. The mouse gap junction gene connexin29 is highly expressed in sciatic nerve and regulated during brain development. Biol Chem. 2001;382:973-8 pubmed..Our expression data suggest that the new connexin gene is active in myelin-forming glial cells. ..
- Buniello A, Montanaro D, Volinia S, Gasparini P, Marigo V. An expression atlas of connexin genes in the mouse. Genomics. 2004;83:812-20 pubmed
- Tang W, Zhang Y, Chang Q, Ahmad S, Dahlke I, Yi H, et al. Connexin29 is highly expressed in cochlear Schwann cells, and it is required for the normal development and function of the auditory nerve of mice. J Neurosci. 2006;26:1991-9 pubmed..Here, we show that Cx29 was highly expressed in the cochlea...
- Li J, Habbes H, Eiberger J, Willecke K, Dermietzel R, Meier C. Analysis of connexin expression during mouse Schwann cell development identifies connexin29 as a novel marker for the transition of neural crest to precursor cells. Glia. 2007;55:93-103 pubmed..In mature myelin-forming Schwann cells, expression of multiple connexins, i.e. connexin (Cx) 43, Cx29, Cx32, and Cx46 (after nerve injury) has been detected...
- Kleopa K, Orthmann J, Enriquez A, Paul D, Scherer S. Unique distributions of the gap junction proteins connexin29, connexin32, and connexin47 in oligodendrocytes. Glia. 2004;47:346-57 pubmedOligodendrocytes of adult rodents express three different connexins: connexin29 (Cx29), Cx32, and Cx47...
- Altevogt B, Kleopa K, Postma F, Scherer S, Paul D. Connexin29 is uniquely distributed within myelinating glial cells of the central and peripheral nervous systems. J Neurosci. 2002;22:6458-70 pubmed..We identified Cx29, whose transcript was restricted to brain, spinal cord, and sciatic nerve...
- Moon Y, Choi S, Kim K, Kim H, Sun W. Expression of connexin29 and 32 in the penumbra region after traumatic brain injury of mice. Neuroreport. 2010;21:1135-9 pubmed publisher..We found that the expressions of two Cx family members, Cx29 and Cx32, were progressively increased in the sharp border of injury penumbra regions after cryotraumatic brain ..
- Altevogt B, Paul D. Four classes of intercellular channels between glial cells in the CNS. J Neurosci. 2004;24:4313-23 pubmed..We produced a Cx29 reporter mouse in which the connexin coding sequence was replaced with a histological marker, which was used to ..
- Nagy J, Ionescu A, Lynn B, Rash J. Connexin29 and connexin32 at oligodendrocyte and astrocyte gap junctions and in myelin of the mouse central nervous system. J Comp Neurol. 2003;464:356-70 pubmedThe cellular localization, relation to other glial connexins (Cx30, Cx32, and Cx43), and developmental expression of Cx29 were investigated in the mouse central nervous system (CNS) with an anti-Cx29 antibody...
- von Maltzahn J, Euwens C, Willecke K, Sohl G. The novel mouse connexin39 gene is expressed in developing striated muscle fibers. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:5381-92 pubmed..As expression of no other known connexin could be verified in these cells, intercellular dye transfer might result from functional expression of Cx39 in developing striated muscle fibers. ..
- Yang J, Liao P, Su C, Li S. Expression patterns of connexin 29 (GJE1) in mouse and rat cochlea. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;338:723-8 pubmed..To elucidate whether the Cx29 gap junction protein epsilon 1, GJE1, is localized in the adult mouse and rat cochlea, we performed an immunohistochemistry (IHC) and reverse ..
- Sohl G, Willecke K. An update on connexin genes and their nomenclature in mouse and man. Cell Commun Adhes. 2003;10:173-80 pubmed..Furthermore, this short review contains an update on phenotypic correlations between connexin deficient mice and patients bearing mutations in their orthologous connexin genes. ..
- Parenti R, Cicirata F, Zappala A, Catania A, La Delia F, Cicirata V, et al. Dynamic expression of Cx47 in mouse brain development and in the cuprizone model of myelin plasticity. Glia. 2010;58:1594-609 pubmed publisher..Since the expression of Cx47 in developing oligodendrocytes preceded those of Cx32 and Cx29, a role of Cx47 in myelinogenesis was postulated...
- Eiberger J, Kibschull M, Strenzke N, Schober A, Bussow H, Wessig C, et al. Expression pattern and functional characterization of connexin29 in transgenic mice. Glia. 2006;53:601-11 pubmedUsing newly generated transgenic mice in which the coding region of the connexin29 (Cx29) gene was replaced by the lacZ reporter gene, we confirmed previous immunochemical results that Cx29 is expressed in Schwann cells, oligodendrocytes ..
- Sonntag S, Sohl G, Dobrowolski R, Zhang J, Theis M, Winterhager E, et al. Mouse lens connexin23 (Gje1) does not form functional gap junction channels but causes enhanced ATP release from HeLa cells. Eur J Cell Biol. 2009;88:65-77 pubmed publisher..The mouse connexin23 (Cx23) gene (Gje1) differs from all other connexin genes in vertebrates, since it codes for a protein that contains only 4 instead of ..
- Li X, Lynn B, Olson C, Meier C, Davidson K, Yasumura T, et al. Connexin29 expression, immunocytochemistry and freeze-fracture replica immunogold labelling (FRIL) in sciatic nerve. Eur J Neurosci. 2002;16:795-806 pubmedThe recently discovered connexin29 (Cx29) was reported to be present in the central and peripheral nervous systems (CNS and PNS), and its mRNA was found in particular abundance in peripheral nerve...