Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gjb4
Description: gap junction protein, beta 4
Alias: Cnx30.3, Cx30.3, Gjb-4, gap junction beta-4 protein, connexin-30.3, gap junction membrane channel protein beta 4
- Buniello A, Montanaro D, Volinia S, Gasparini P, Marigo V. An expression atlas of connexin genes in the mouse. Genomics. 2004;83:812-20 pubmed
- von Maltzahn J, Euwens C, Willecke K, Sohl G. The novel mouse connexin39 gene is expressed in developing striated muscle fibers. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:5381-92 pubmed..As expression of no other known connexin could be verified in these cells, intercellular dye transfer might result from functional expression of Cx39 in developing striated muscle fibers. ..
- Hanner F, Schnichels M, Zheng Fischhöfer Q, Yang L, Toma I, Willecke K, et al. Connexin 30.3 is expressed in the kidney but not regulated by dietary salt or high blood pressure. Cell Commun Adhes. 2008;15:219-30 pubmed publisher..Cx30.3 appears to be constitutively expressed in certain renal tubular segments and cells and its role in overall kidney function remains to be investigated. ..
- Hennemann H, Dahl E, White J, Schwarz H, Lalley P, Chang S, et al. Two gap junction genes, connexin 31.1 and 30.3, are closely linked on mouse chromosome 4 and preferentially expressed in skin. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:17225-33 pubmed..Microinjection of Cx30.3, but not Cx31.1 cRNA, into Xenopus oocyte pairs induced formation of functional gap junction channels with unique voltage-gated parameters compared to other connexins expressed similarly. ..
- Willecke K, Hennemann H, Dahl E, Jungbluth S, Heynkes R. The diversity of connexin genes encoding gap junctional proteins. Eur J Cell Biol. 1991;56:1-7 pubmed..The structural diversity of the connexin genes suggests that they fulfill different functions coordinated with, and perhaps required for, different programs of cellular differentiation. ..
- Davies T, Barr K, Jones D, Zhu D, Kidder G. Multiple members of the connexin gene family participate in preimplantation development of the mouse. Dev Genet. 1996;18:234-43 pubmed..The expression of multiple connexin genes during this early period of embryogenesis (when there are only two distinct cell types) raises questions about the functional significance of connexin diversity in this context. ..
- Mignon C, Fromaget C, Mattei M, Gros D, Yamasaki H, Mesnil M. Assignment of connexin 26 (GJB2) and 46 (GJA3) genes to human chromosome 13q11-->q12 and mouse chromosome 14D1-E1 by in situ hybridization. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1996;72:185-6 pubmed
- Maeda Y, Funata N, Takahama S, Sugata Y, Yonekawa H. Two interactive genes responsible for a new inherited cataract (RCT) in the mouse. Mamm Genome. 2001;12:278-83 pubmed..The rct locus essential for the onset of the cataract was tightly linked to D4Mit278 on Chromosome (Chr) 4 with no recombination. The mrct locus was closely linked to D5Mit239 (chi2 = 66.3, P < 0.00001) on Chr 5. ..
- Sohl G, Willecke K. An update on connexin genes and their nomenclature in mouse and man. Cell Commun Adhes. 2003;10:173-80 pubmed..Furthermore, this short review contains an update on phenotypic correlations between connexin deficient mice and patients bearing mutations in their orthologous connexin genes. ..
- Juneja S. mRNA expression pattern of multiple members of connexin gene family in normal and abnormal fetal gonads in mouse. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2003;47:147-56 pubmed..In developmentally impaired fetal ovary, only Cx43 was not expressed as expected but other three connexins were expresed. The study may be useful in interpreting human testis defects in infertility cases. ..
- Zheng Fischhöfer Q, Schnichels M, Dere E, Strotmann J, Loscher N, McCulloch F, et al. Characterization of connexin30.3-deficient mice suggests a possible role of connexin30.3 in olfaction. Eur J Cell Biol. 2007;86:683-700 pubmed..Furthermore, they showed normal auditory thresholds as measured by brain stem evoked potentials. These mice did, however, exhibit reduced behavioural responses to a vanilla scent...
- Pannasch U, Freche D, Dallérac G, Ghezali G, Escartin C, Ezan P, et al. Connexin 30 sets synaptic strength by controlling astroglial synapse invasion. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:549-58 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results establish connexin 30 as a critical regulator of synaptic strength by controlling the synaptic location of astroglial processes. ..