Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gem
Description: GTP binding protein (gene overexpressed in skeletal muscle)
Alias: AV020497, GTP-binding mitogen-induced T-cell protein, GTP-binding protein GEM, RAS-like protein KIR
- Transcriptional activation of a ras-like gene (kir) by oncogenic tyrosine kinasesL Cohen
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of California, Los Angeles 90024 1662
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:12448-52. 1994..BCR/ABL and v-Abl induce transcription of the kir gene via specific signaling pathway(s), but kir overexpression alone is not sufficient to mediate transformation...
- RGK small GTP-binding proteins interact with the nucleotide kinase domain of Ca2+-channel beta-subunits via an uncommon effector binding domainPascal Beguin
Epithelial Cell Biology Laboratory, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 61 Biopolis Drive, Singapore 138673, Republic of Singapore
J Biol Chem 282:11509-20. 2007RGK proteins (Kir/Gem, Rad, Rem, and Rem2) form a small subfamily of the Ras superfamily...
- Direct inhibition of the interaction between alpha-interaction domain and beta-interaction domain of voltage-dependent Ca2+ channels by GemTakehide Sasaki
Division of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
J Biol Chem 280:9308-12. 2005The Ras-related small G-protein Gem regulates voltage-dependent Ca2+ channels (VDCCs) through interaction with the beta-subunit of the VDCC. This action of Gem is mediated by regulated alpha1-subunit expression at the plasma membrane...
- Genetic regulation of mouse stem cells: identification of two keratinocyte stem cell regulatory lociN V Popova
Department of Dermatology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 West 168th Street, VC 15, New York, NY 10032, USA
Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 280:111-37. 2004....
- Identification of two keratinocyte stem cell regulatory loci implicated in skin carcinogenesisNatalia V Popova
Lankenau Institute for Medical Research, 100 Lancaster Avenue, Wynnewood, PA 19096, USA
Carcinogenesis 24:417-25. 2003....
- The Ras-like GTPase Gem is involved in cell shape remodelling and interacts with the novel kinesin-like protein KIF9E Piddini
EMBL, Cell Biology and Biophysics Programme, Meyerhofstrasse 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
EMBO J 20:4076-87. 2001b>Gem belongs to the Rad/Gem/Kir (RGK) subfamily of Ras-related GTPases, which also comprises Rem, Rem2 and Ges...
- Regulation of Ca2+ channel expression at the cell surface by the small G-protein kir/GemP Beguin
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Nature 411:701-6. 2001..We report here that the GTP-bound form of kir/Gem, identified originally as a Ras-related small G-protein that binds CaM, inhibits high-voltage-activated Ca2+ ..
- A HECT domain ubiquitin ligase closely related to the mammalian protein WWP1 is essential for Caenorhabditis elegans embryogenesisK Huang
University of Wisconsin Medical School, Department of Pharmacology, Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology Program, 387 Medical Science Center, 1300 University Avenue, 53706, Madison, WI, USA
Gene 252:137-45. 2000..CeWWP1 must therefore have unique and nonredundant functions critical for embryogenesis...
- Chromosomal mapping of five mouse G protein gamma subunitsG B Downes
Department of Anesthesiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, 63110, USA
Genomics 57:173-6. 1999..Combined with previous mapping studies, these data indicate that, with the possible exception of gamma1 and gamma11, the G protein gamma subunit genes are well dispersed within the mouse and human genomes...
- Chromosomal organization and transcriptional regulation of human GEM and localization of the human and mouse GEM loci encoding an inducible Ras-like proteinT Santoro
Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Genomics 30:558-64. 1995The mitogen-induced gene, GEM, encodes a GTP-binding protein that belongs to a new family within the Ras superfamily. The regulated expression pattern of Gem suggests a role for this protein in cellular responses to growth stimulation...
- Calmodulin binds to and inhibits GTP binding of the ras-like GTPase Kir/GemR Fischer
Department of Veterinary Biochemistry, University Zurich Irchel, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 271:25067-70. 1996Recently, a new subfamily of Ras-related GTP-binding proteins consisting of Rad (Ras associated with diabetes), Gem (immediate early gene expressed in mitogen-stimulated T-cells), and Kir (tyrosine kinase-inducible Ras-like) was ..
- Gem: an induced, immediate early protein belonging to the Ras familyJ Maguire
Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Science 265:241-4. 1994A gene encoding a 35-kilodalton guanosine triphosphate (GTP)-binding protein, Gem, was cloned from mitogen-induced human peripheral blood T cells...
- Nuclear transport of Kir/Gem requires specific signals and importin alpha5 and is regulated by calmodulin and predicted serine phosphorylationsRamasubbu N Mahalakshmi
Epithelial Cell Biology Laboratory, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 61 Biopolis Drive, Singapore 138673, Singapore
Traffic 8:1150-63. 2007Kir/Gem, together with Rad, Rem and Rem2, is a member of the RGK small GTP-binding protein family. These multifunctional proteins regulate voltage-gated calcium channel (VGCC) activity and cell-shape remodeling...
- The Wheels mutation in the mouse causes vascular, hindbrain, and inner ear defectsA Alavizadeh
Department of Psychiatry and Genetics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Dev Biol 234:244-60. 2001..In summary, our findings indicate that Wheels, a gene which is essential for the survival of the embryo, may link diverse processes involved in vascular, hindbrain, and inner ear development...