Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gem
Description: GTP binding protein (gene overexpressed in skeletal muscle)
Alias: AV020497, GTP-binding protein GEM, GTP-binding mitogen-induced T-cell protein, RAS-like protein KIR
- Fischer R, Wei Y, Anagli J, Berchtold M. Calmodulin binds to and inhibits GTP binding of the ras-like GTPase Kir/Gem. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:25067-70 pubmedRecently, a new subfamily of Ras-related GTP-binding proteins consisting of Rad (Ras associated with diabetes), Gem (immediate early gene expressed in mitogen-stimulated T-cells), and Kir (tyrosine kinase-inducible Ras-like) was ..
- Maguire J, Santoro T, Jensen P, Siebenlist U, Yewdell J, Kelly K. Gem: an induced, immediate early protein belonging to the Ras family. Science. 1994;265:241-4 pubmedA gene encoding a 35-kilodalton guanosine triphosphate (GTP)-binding protein, Gem, was cloned from mitogen-induced human peripheral blood T cells...
- Piddini E, Schmid J, de Martin R, Dotti C. The Ras-like GTPase Gem is involved in cell shape remodelling and interacts with the novel kinesin-like protein KIF9. EMBO J. 2001;20:4076-87 pubmedb>Gem belongs to the Rad/Gem/Kir (RGK) subfamily of Ras-related GTPases, which also comprises Rem, Rem2 and Ges...
- Cohen L, Mohr R, Chen Y, Huang M, Kato R, Dorin D, et al. Transcriptional activation of a ras-like gene (kir) by oncogenic tyrosine kinases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:12448-52 pubmed..BCR/ABL and v-Abl induce transcription of the kir gene via specific signaling pathway(s), but kir overexpression alone is not sufficient to mediate transformation. ..
- Ward Y, Spinelli B, Quon M, Chen H, Ikeda S, Kelly K. Phosphorylation of critical serine residues in Gem separates cytoskeletal reorganization from down-regulation of calcium channel activity. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:651-61 pubmedb>Gem is a small GTP-binding protein that has a ras-like core and extended chains at each terminus...
- Sasaki T, Shibasaki T, Beguin P, Nagashima K, Miyazaki M, Seino S. Direct inhibition of the interaction between alpha-interaction domain and beta-interaction domain of voltage-dependent Ca2+ channels by Gem. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:9308-12 pubmedThe Ras-related small G-protein Gem regulates voltage-dependent Ca2+ channels (VDCCs) through interaction with the beta-subunit of the VDCC. This action of Gem is mediated by regulated alpha1-subunit expression at the plasma membrane...
- Beguin P, Nagashima K, Gonoi T, Shibasaki T, Takahashi K, Kashima Y, et al. Regulation of Ca2+ channel expression at the cell surface by the small G-protein kir/Gem. Nature. 2001;411:701-6 pubmed..We report here that the GTP-bound form of kir/Gem, identified originally as a Ras-related small G-protein that binds CaM, inhibits high-voltage-activated Ca2+ ..
- Huang K, Johnson K, Petcherski A, Vandergon T, Mosser E, Copeland N, et al. A HECT domain ubiquitin ligase closely related to the mammalian protein WWP1 is essential for Caenorhabditis elegans embryogenesis. Gene. 2000;252:137-45 pubmed..CeWWP1 must therefore have unique and nonredundant functions critical for embryogenesis. ..
- Gunton J, Sisavanh M, Stokes R, Satin J, Satin L, Zhang M, et al. Mice deficient in GEM GTPase show abnormal glucose homeostasis due to defects in beta-cell calcium handling. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39462 pubmed publisher..Regulation of calcium handling in beta-cells remains incompletely understood. Gem, a member of the RGK (Rad/Gem/Kir) family regulates calcium channel handling in other cell types, and Gem over-..
- Hoekstra E, von Oerthel L, van der Linden A, Schellevis R, Scheppink G, Holstege F, et al. Lmx1a is an activator of Rgs4 and Grb10 and is responsible for the correct specification of rostral and medial mdDA neurons. Eur J Neurosci. 2013;37:23-32 pubmed publisher..Taken together, microarray analysis of an LMX1A-overexpression cell system resulted in the identification of novel direct or indirect downstream targets of Lmx1a in mdDA neurons: Grb10, Rgs4 and Vmat2. ..