Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gata6
Description: GATA binding protein 6
Alias: AA410133, GATA-6, transcription factor GATA-6, GATA-binding factor 6
- Beuling E, Baffour Awuah N, Stapleton K, Aronson B, Noah T, Shroyer N, et al. GATA factors regulate proliferation, differentiation, and gene expression in small intestine of mature mice. Gastroenterology. 2011;140:1219-1229.e1-2 pubmed publisher..b>GATA6 is co-expressed with GATA4 but also is expressed in the ileum; its function in the mature small intestine is ..
- Laforest B, Nemer M. GATA5 interacts with GATA4 and GATA6 in outflow tract development. Dev Biol. 2011;358:368-78 pubmed publisher..family of transcription factors are critical regulators of heart development and mutations in 2 of them, GATA4 and GATA6 are associated with outflow tract and septal defects in human...
- Liu C, Morrisey E, Whitsett J. GATA-6 is required for maturation of the lung in late gestation. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2002;283:L468-75 pubmed..Activity of GATA-6 is required for maturation of the gas exchange area before birth. ..
- Frum T, Halbisen M, Wang C, Amiri H, Robson P, Ralston A. Oct4 cell-autonomously promotes primitive endoderm development in the mouse blastocyst. Dev Cell. 2013;25:610-22 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that Oct4 is required for the expression of multiple EPI and PE genes as well as multiple metabolic pathways essential for the continued growth of the preimplantation embryo. ..
- Liu C, Glasser S, Wan H, Whitsett J. GATA-6 and thyroid transcription factor-1 directly interact and regulate surfactant protein-C gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:4519-25 pubmed..GATA-6 influenced the activity of the sp-C promoter, binding and acting synergistically with TTF-1. ..
- Shu W, Lu M, Zhang Y, Tucker P, Zhou D, Morrisey E. Foxp2 and Foxp1 cooperatively regulate lung and esophagus development. Development. 2007;134:1991-2000 pubmed
- Rosas M, Davies L, Giles P, Liao C, Kharfan B, Stone T, et al. The transcription factor Gata6 links tissue macrophage phenotype and proliferative renewal. Science. 2014;344:645-648 pubmed publisher..These cells specifically expressed the transcription factor Gata6. Selective deficiency of Gata6 in myeloid cells caused substantial alterations in the transcriptome of peritoneal ..
- Zhang Y, Goss A, Cohen E, Kadzik R, Lepore J, Muthukumaraswamy K, et al. A Gata6-Wnt pathway required for epithelial stem cell development and airway regeneration. Nat Genet. 2008;40:862-70 pubmed publisher..Here we show that Gata6 regulates the temporal appearance and number of bronchioalveolar stem cells (BASCs) in the lung, its absence in ..
- Lorthongpanich C, Messerschmidt D, Chan S, Hong W, Knowles B, Solter D. Temporal reduction of LATS kinases in the early preimplantation embryo prevents ICM lineage differentiation. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1441-6 pubmed publisher..We therefore conclude that precisely timed YAP localization in early morulae is essential to prevent trophectoderm marker expression in, and lineage specification of, the ICM. ..
- Morrisey E, Tang Z, Sigrist K, Lu M, Jiang F, Ip H, et al. GATA6 regulates HNF4 and is required for differentiation of visceral endoderm in the mouse embryo. Genes Dev. 1998;12:3579-90 pubmedb>GATA6 belongs to a family of zinc finger transcription factors that play important roles in transducing nuclear events that regulate cellular differentiation and embryonic morphogenesis in vertebrate species...
- Brewer A, Gove C, Davies A, McNulty C, Barrow D, Koutsourakis M, et al. The human and mouse GATA-6 genes utilize two promoters and two initiation codons. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:38004-16 pubmed..Thus, GATA-6 function in the cell is controlled by a complex interplay of transcriptional and translational regulation. ..
- Xin M, Davis C, Molkentin J, Lien C, Duncan S, Richardson J, et al. A threshold of GATA4 and GATA6 expression is required for cardiovascular development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:11189-94 pubmedThe zinc-finger transcription factors GATA4 and GATA6 play critical roles in embryonic development. Mouse embryos lacking GATA4 die at embryonic day (E) 8...
- Ohnishi Y, Huber W, Tsumura A, Kang M, Xenopoulos P, Kurimoto K, et al. Cell-to-cell expression variability followed by signal reinforcement progressively segregates early mouse lineages. Nat Cell Biol. 2014;16:27-37 pubmed publisher..These data lead us to propose a model where stochastic cell-to-cell expression heterogeneity followed by signal reinforcement underlies ICM lineage segregation by antagonistically separating equivalent cells. ..
- Cai K, Capo Chichi C, Rula M, Yang D, Xu X. Dynamic GATA6 expression in primitive endoderm formation and maturation in early mouse embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:2820-9 pubmed publisher..GATA4 and GATA6 are the key transcription factors in the formation of extraembryonic endoderms, but their specific contribution to ..
- Morris S, Teo R, Li H, Robson P, Glover D, Zernicka Goetz M. Origin and formation of the first two distinct cell types of the inner cell mass in the mouse embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:6364-9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we show that cells internalized by the second wave up-regulate expression of Gata6 and Sox17, and changing the expression of these genes determines whether the cells become primitive endoderm...
- Morrisey E, Ip H, Lu M, Parmacek M. GATA-6: a zinc finger transcription factor that is expressed in multiple cell lineages derived from lateral mesoderm. Dev Biol. 1996;177:309-22 pubmed
- Morrisey E, Musco S, Chen M, Lu M, Leiden J, Parmacek M. The gene encoding the mitogen-responsive phosphoprotein Dab2 is differentially regulated by GATA-6 and GATA-4 in the visceral endoderm. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:19949-54 pubmed..Moreover, these data demonstrate that molecular mechanisms have evolved that direct, and distinguish, the functional specificity of GATA family members when they are developmentally coexpressed. ..
- Artus J, Piliszek A, Hadjantonakis A. The primitive endoderm lineage of the mouse blastocyst: sequential transcription factor activation and regulation of differentiation by Sox17. Dev Biol. 2011;350:393-404 pubmed publisher..This dynamic distribution of SOX17 resembled the localization of GATA6 and GATA4, two other PrE lineage-specific transcription factors...
- Brown C, Chi X, Garcia Gras E, Shirai M, Feng X, Schwartz R. The cardiac determination factor, Nkx2-5, is activated by mutual cofactors GATA-4 and Smad1/4 via a novel upstream enhancer. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:10659-69 pubmed
- Bosse T, Piaseckyj C, Burghard E, Fialkovich J, Rajagopal S, Pu W, et al. Gata4 is essential for the maintenance of jejunal-ileal identities in the adult mouse small intestine. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:9060-70 pubmed..05). Gata4 is thus an important positional signal required for the maintenance of jejunal-ileal identities in the adult mouse small intestine. ..
- Stephenson R, Yamanaka Y, Rossant J. Disorganized epithelial polarity and excess trophectoderm cell fate in preimplantation embryos lacking E-cadherin. Development. 2010;137:3383-91 pubmed publisher..They also show that Cdx2 expression is strongly linked to apical membrane polarization. ..
- Costa R, Kalinichenko V, Lim L. Transcription factors in mouse lung development and function. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2001;280:L823-38 pubmed..We summarize the phenotypes of transgenic and knockout mouse models, which define important functions of these transcription factors in cellular differentiation and lung branching morphogenesis...
- Kuo C, Morrisey E, Anandappa R, Sigrist K, Lu M, Parmacek M, et al. GATA4 transcription factor is required for ventral morphogenesis and heart tube formation. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1048-60 pubmed..However, they define a critical role for GATA4 in regulating the rostral-to-caudal and lateral-to-ventral folding of the embryo that is needed for normal cardiac morphogenesis. ..
- Cockburn K, Biechele S, Garner J, Rossant J. The Hippo pathway member Nf2 is required for inner cell mass specification. Curr Biol. 2013;23:1195-201 pubmed publisher..Together, these data establish a clear role for Nf2 upstream of Yap in the preimplantation embryo and demonstrate that Hippo signaling is essential to segregate the ICM from the TE. ..
- Kyrmizi I, Hatzis P, Katrakili N, Tronche F, Gonzalez F, Talianidis I. Plasticity and expanding complexity of the hepatic transcription factor network during liver development. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2293-305 pubmed..The results illustrate the remarkable flexibility of a self-sustaining transcription factor network, built up by complex dominant and redundant regulatory motifs in developing hepatocytes. ..
- Zeisberg E, Ma Q, Juraszek A, Moses K, Schwartz R, Izumo S, et al. Morphogenesis of the right ventricle requires myocardial expression of Gata4. J Clin Invest. 2005;115:1522-31 pubmed..Our results demonstrate a general role of myocardial Gata4 in regulating cardiomyocyte proliferation and a specific, stage-dependent role in regulating the morphogenesis of the RV and the atrioventricular canal. ..
- Futaki S, Hayashi Y, Emoto T, Weber C, Sekiguchi K. Sox7 plays crucial roles in parietal endoderm differentiation in F9 embryonal carcinoma cells through regulating Gata-4 and Gata-6 expression. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:10492-503 pubmed..Sox7 is therefore required for the induction of Gata-4 and Gata-6, and the interplay among these transcription factors plays a crucial role in parietal endoderm differentiation. ..
- Nichols J, Smith A. The origin and identity of embryonic stem cells. Development. 2011;138:3-8 pubmed publisher..Based on recent findings, we propose here that ES cells can be derived directly from early epiblast cells and that ES cells might arise via two different routes that are dictated by their culture conditions...
- Laforest B, Andelfinger G, Nemer M. Loss of Gata5 in mice leads to bicuspid aortic valve. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:2876-87 pubmed publisher..Mice with mutated Gata5 alleles represent unique models to dissect the mechanisms underlying degenerative aortic valve disease and to develop much-needed preventive and therapeutic interventions. ..
- Xuan S, Borok M, Decker K, Battle M, Duncan S, Hale M, et al. Pancreas-specific deletion of mouse Gata4 and Gata6 causes pancreatic agenesis. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:3516-28 pubmed publisher..Recently, mutations in GATA6 have been identified in a large percentage of human cases, and a GATA4 mutant allele has been implicated in a ..
- Okabe Y, Medzhitov R. Tissue-specific signals control reversible program of localization and functional polarization of macrophages. Cell. 2014;157:832-44 pubmed publisher..and functional polarization of peritoneal macrophages through the reversible induction of transcription factor GATA6. We further found that GATA6 in macrophages regulates gut IgA production through peritoneal B-1 cells...
- Molkentin J, Lin Q, Duncan S, Olson E. Requirement of the transcription factor GATA4 for heart tube formation and ventral morphogenesis. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1061-72 pubmed..We propose that GATA4 is required for the migration or folding morphogenesis of the precardiogenic splanchnic mesodermal cells at the level of the AIP. ..
- Fujikura J, Yamato E, Yonemura S, Hosoda K, Masui S, Nakao K, et al. Differentiation of embryonic stem cells is induced by GATA factors. Genes Dev. 2002;16:784-9 pubmed..We believe that this is the first report of a physiological differentiation event induced by the ectopic expression of a transcription factor in ES cells. ..
- Chazaud C, Yamanaka Y, Pawson T, Rossant J. Early lineage segregation between epiblast and primitive endoderm in mouse blastocysts through the Grb2-MAPK pathway. Dev Cell. 2006;10:615-24 pubmed..5 is already heterogeneous. The EPI- and PE-specific transcription factors, Nanog and Gata6, were expressed in the ICM in a random "salt and pepper" pattern, as early as E3...
- Pu W, Ishiwata T, Juraszek A, Ma Q, Izumo S. GATA4 is a dosage-sensitive regulator of cardiac morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2004;275:235-44 pubmed..These data demonstrate that multiple aspects of embryonic cardiac morphogenesis and function are exquisitely sensitive to small changes in GATA4 expression levels. ..
- Maitra M, Schluterman M, Nichols H, Richardson J, Lo C, Srivastava D, et al. Interaction of Gata4 and Gata6 with Tbx5 is critical for normal cardiac development. Dev Biol. 2009;326:368-77 pubmed publisher..Similar to Gata4, Gata6 and Tbx5 are co-expressed in the embryonic heart, and the transcription factors synergistically activate the ..
- Nemer G, Nemer M. Transcriptional activation of BMP-4 and regulation of mammalian organogenesis by GATA-4 and -6. Dev Biol. 2003;254:131-48 pubmed..They also raise the possibility that part of the early defects in GATA-4 and/or GATA-6 null embryos may be due to impaired BMP-4 signaling. ..
- Karamboulas K, Dranse H, Underhill T. Regulation of BMP-dependent chondrogenesis in early limb mesenchyme by TGFbeta signals. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:2068-76 pubmed publisher..However, the programs differ in the transient signals driving chondrogenic responsiveness to BMPs, with SHH operating in the former and TGFbeta activation in the latter. ..
- Do D, Ueda J, Messerschmidt D, Lorthongpanich C, Zhou Y, Feng B, et al. A genetic and developmental pathway from STAT3 to the OCT4-NANOG circuit is essential for maintenance of ICM lineages in vivo. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1378-90 pubmed publisher..These results provide a novel genetic model of cell fate determination operating through STAT3 in the preimplantation embryo and pluripotent stem cells in vivo. ..
- Schrode N, Saiz N, Di Talia S, Hadjantonakis A. GATA6 levels modulate primitive endoderm cell fate choice and timing in the mouse blastocyst. Dev Cell. 2014;29:454-67 pubmed publisher..into the pluripotent epiblast or the primitive endoderm (PrE), marked by the transcription factors NANOG and GATA6, respectively...
- Krawchuk D, Honma Yamanaka N, Anani S, Yamanaka Y. FGF4 is a limiting factor controlling the proportions of primitive endoderm and epiblast in the ICM of the mouse blastocyst. Dev Biol. 2013;384:65-71 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the amount of FGF4 is limited and regulates PE/EPI proportions in the mouse embryo...
- Rossant J, Chazaud C, Yamanaka Y. Lineage allocation and asymmetries in the early mouse embryo. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2003;358:1341-8; discussion 1349 pubmed
- Xuan S, Sussel L. GATA4 and GATA6 regulate pancreatic endoderm identity through inhibition of hedgehog signaling. Development. 2016;143:780-6 pubmed publisherGATA4 and GATA6 are zinc finger transcription factors that have important functions in several mesodermal and endodermal organs, including heart, liver and pancreas...
- Mesbah K, Rana M, Francou A, van Duijvenboden K, Papaioannou V, Moorman A, et al. Identification of a Tbx1/Tbx2/Tbx3 genetic pathway governing pharyngeal and arterial pole morphogenesis. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:1217-29 pubmed publisher..2DS patients. ..
- Yin F, Herring B. GATA-6 can act as a positive or negative regulator of smooth muscle-specific gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:4745-52 pubmed..These data also reveal a novel transcription regulatory mechanism by which GATA-6 can modulate the activity of the myocardin-serum-response factor complexes. ..
- Ackerman K, Wang J, Luo L, Fujiwara Y, Orkin S, Beier D. Gata4 is necessary for normal pulmonary lobar development. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2007;36:391-7 pubmed..Lungs from embryos carrying a missense mutation in Gata6 were structurally normal, while lungs from embryos carrying mutations of either Gata4 or of both Gata4 and Gata6 ..
- Jonckheere N, Velghe A, Ducourouble M, Copin M, Renes I, Van Seuningen I. The mouse Muc5b mucin gene is transcriptionally regulated by thyroid transcription factor-1 (TTF-1) and GATA-6 transcription factors. FEBS J. 2011;278:282-94 pubmed publisher..The characterization of the structural and functional features of the Muc5b mucin gene will provide us with a strong base to develop studies in murine models aimed at the identification of its biological role in lung pathophysiology. ..
- Fischer A, Steidl C, Wagner T, Lang E, Jakob P, Friedl P, et al. Combined loss of Hey1 and HeyL causes congenital heart defects because of impaired epithelial to mesenchymal transition. Circ Res. 2007;100:856-63 pubmed..Thus, the Hey gene family shows overlap in controlling Notch induced endocardial epithelial to mesenchymal transition, a process critical for valve and septum formation. ..
- Sartori D, Wilbur C, Long S, Rankin M, Li C, Bradfield J, et al. GATA factors promote ER integrity and ?-cell survival and contribute to type 1 diabetes risk. Mol Endocrinol. 2014;28:28-39 pubmed publisher..To investigate the role of GATA factors in adult ?-cells, we derived ?-cell-inducible Gata4- and Gata6-knockout mice, along with whole-body inducible Gata4 knockouts...
- Pierre M, Yoshimoto M, Huang L, Richardson M, Yoder M. VEGF and IHH rescue definitive hematopoiesis in Gata-4 and Gata-6-deficient murine embryoid bodies. Exp Hematol. 2009;37:1038-53 pubmed publisher..However, the decreased level of VEGF and Indian hedgehog production in VE devoid G4N and G6N EBs attenuates definitive hematopoietic progenitor cell expansion. ..
- Wen J, Zeng Y, Fang Z, Gu J, Ge L, Tang F, et al. Single-cell analysis reveals lineage segregation in early post-implantation mouse embryos. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:9840-9854 pubmed publisher..5 embryo in which mesoderm and DE cells emerge, with many of them coexpressing Oct4 and Gata6 Analysis of single-cell RNA-sequence data from 112 cells of the late-stage day 6...
- Rémond M, Iaffaldano G, O Quinn M, Mezentseva N, Garcia V, Harris B, et al. GATA6 reporter gene reveals myocardial phenotypic heterogeneity that is related to variations in gap junction coupling. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2011;301:H1952-64 pubmed publisherThis study examined transgenic mice whose expression of a ?-galactosidase (lacZ) reporter is driven by a GATA6 gene enhancer...
- Nakamura T, Nakagawa M, Ichisaka T, Shiota A, Yamanaka S. Essential roles of ECAT15-2/Dppa2 in functional lung development. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:4366-78 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that ECAT15-2 has important roles in lung development, where it is no longer expressed, by leaving epigenetic marks from earlier developmental stages. ..
- Schnatwinkel C, Niswander L. Nubp1 is required for lung branching morphogenesis and distal progenitor cell survival in mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44871 pubmed publisher..Together, Nubp1 represents an essential protein for lung progenitor survival by coordinating vital cellular processes including cell polarity and centrosomal dynamics. ..
- Hermann P, Sancho P, Canamero M, Martinelli P, Madriles F, Michl P, et al. Nicotine promotes initiation and progression of KRAS-induced pancreatic cancer via Gata6-dependent dedifferentiation of acinar cells in mice. Gastroenterology. 2014;147:1119-33.e4 pubmed publisher..were also evaluated in primary pancreatic acinar cells isolated from wild-type, nAChR7a(-/-), Trp53(-/-), and Gata6(-/-);Trp53(-/-) mice...
- Kang J, Lienhard M, Pastor W, Chawla A, Novotny M, Tsagaratou A, et al. Simultaneous deletion of the methylcytosine oxidases Tet1 and Tet3 increases transcriptome variability in early embryogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E4236-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, TET enzymes and DNA cytosine modifications could directly or indirectly modulate transcriptional noise, resulting in the selective susceptibility of certain intracellular pathways to regulation by TET proteins. ..
- Gao X, Sedgwick T, Shi Y, Evans T. Distinct functions are implicated for the GATA-4, -5, and -6 transcription factors in the regulation of intestine epithelial cell differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:2901-11 pubmed..Based on this data, we suggest that GATA-6 might function primarily within the proliferating progenitor population, while GATA-4 and GATA-5 function during differentiation to activate terminal-differentiation genes including IFABP. ..
- Rapp U, Korn C, Ceteci F, Karreman C, Luetkenhaus K, Serafin V, et al. MYC is a metastasis gene for non-small-cell lung cancer. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6029 pubmed publisher..These markers may represent targets for future therapeutic intervention as they include genes such as Gata4 that are exclusively expressed during lung development. ..
- Margagliotti S, Clotman F, Pierreux C, Beaudry J, Jacquemin P, Rousseau G, et al. The Onecut transcription factors HNF-6/OC-1 and OC-2 regulate early liver expansion by controlling hepatoblast migration. Dev Biol. 2007;311:579-89 pubmed..This network operating at the onset of liver development contains candidate genes for investigation of liver carcinogenesis. ..
- Alexandrovich A, Arno M, Patient R, Shah A, Pizzey J, Brewer A. Wnt2 is a direct downstream target of GATA6 during early cardiogenesis. Mech Dev. 2006;123:297-311 pubmed..Using the P19-CL6 embryonal carcinoma (EC) cell line as an in vitro model of cardiogenesis, we show that GATA6 is the most abundantly expressed of the GATA factors in presumptive cardiac cells...
- Jimenez F, Lewis J, Belgique S, Wood T, Reynolds P. Developmental lung expression and transcriptional regulation of claudin-6 by TTF-1, Gata-6, and FoxA2. Respir Res. 2014;15:70 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Cldn6-mediated aspects of cell differentiation may describe mechanisms of lung perturbation coincident with impaired cell junctions and abnormal membrane permeability. ..
- Walker E, Thompson C, Kohlnhofer B, Faber M, Battle M. Characterization of the developing small intestine in the absence of either GATA4 or GATA6. BMC Res Notes. 2014;7:902 pubmed publisherStudies of adult mice lacking either GATA4 or GATA6 in the small intestine demonstrate roles for these factors in small intestinal biology...
- Hayashi S, Akiyama R, Wong J, Tahara N, Kawakami H, Kawakami Y. Gata6-Dependent GLI3 Repressor Function is Essential in Anterior Limb Progenitor Cells for Proper Limb Development. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006138 pubmed publisher..In this study, we show a novel mechanism of regulation of GLI3R activities in limb buds by Gata6, a member of the GATA transcription factor family...