Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gata5
Description: GATA binding protein 5
Alias: transcription factor GATA-5, GATA-binding factor 5, Transcription factor GATA-5 (GATA binding factor-5)
- Daoud G, Kempf H, Kumar D, Kozhemyakina E, Holowacz T, Kim D, et al. BMP-mediated induction of GATA4/5/6 blocks somitic responsiveness to SHH. Development. 2014;141:3978-87 pubmed publisher..2 maintains the ability of sclerotomal cells to express SHH transcriptional targets in the presence of BMP signals by repressing the induction of Gata4/5/6. ..
- Turbendian H, Gordillo M, Tsai S, Lu J, Kang G, Liu T, et al. GATA factors efficiently direct cardiac fate from embryonic stem cells. Development. 2013;140:1639-44 pubmed publisher..We found that expression of the highly related gene, Gata5, very efficiently promotes cardiomyocyte fate from murine ESCs...
- Benchabane H, Wrana J. GATA- and Smad1-dependent enhancers in the Smad7 gene differentially interpret bone morphogenetic protein concentrations. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:6646-61 pubmed..These data thus define how cooperative and noncooperative Smad-dependent transcriptional regulation can function to interpret different BMP concentrations. ..
- Karamboulas K, Dranse H, Underhill T. Regulation of BMP-dependent chondrogenesis in early limb mesenchyme by TGFbeta signals. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:2068-76 pubmed publisher..However, the programs differ in the transient signals driving chondrogenic responsiveness to BMPs, with SHH operating in the former and TGFbeta activation in the latter. ..
- Kaneko Oshikawa C, Nakagawa T, Yamada M, Yoshikawa H, Matsumoto M, Yada M, et al. Mammalian E4 is required for cardiac development and maintenance of the nervous system. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:10953-64 pubmed..UFD2a thus appears to be essential for the development of cardiac muscle, as well as for the protection of spinocerebellar neurons from degeneration induced by endoplasmic reticulum stress. ..
- Chen B, Yates E, Huang Y, Kogut P, Ma L, Turner J, et al. Alternative promoter and GATA5 transcripts in mouse. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2009;297:G1214-22 pubmed publisherb>GATA5 is a member of the GATA zinc finger transcription factor family involved in tissue-specific transcriptional regulation during cell differentiation and embryogenesis...
- Ritz Laser B, Mamin A, Brun T, Avril I, Schwitzgebel V, Philippe J. The zinc finger-containing transcription factor Gata-4 is expressed in the developing endocrine pancreas and activates glucagon gene expression. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:759-70 pubmed
- Yin Z, Haynie J, Yang X, Han B, Kiatchoosakun S, Restivo J, et al. The essential role of Cited2, a negative regulator for HIF-1alpha, in heart development and neurulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:10488-93 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that Cited2 is an indispensable regulatory gene during prenatal development. ..
- Chatterjee S, Kapoor A, Akiyama J, Auer D, Lee D, Gabriel S, et al. Enhancer Variants Synergistically Drive Dysfunction of a Gene Regulatory Network In Hirschsprung Disease. Cell. 2016;167:355-368.e10 pubmed publisher..These studies show how the effects of functionally independent non-coding variants in a coordinated gene regulatory network amplify their individually small effects, providing a model for complex disorders. ..
- Flagg A, Earley J, Svensson E. FOG-2 attenuates endothelial-to-mesenchymal transformation in the endocardial cushions of the developing heart. Dev Biol. 2007;304:308-16 pubmed..Taken together with GATA4's known role in promoting EMT, these results suggest that FOG-2 functions in cardiac valve formation as an attenuator of EMT by repressing GATA4 activity within the developing endocardial cushions. ..
- Potvin E, Beuret L, Cadrin Girard J, Carter M, Roy S, Tremblay M, et al. Cooperative action of multiple cis-acting elements is required for N-myc expression in branchial arches: specific contribution of GATA3. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:5348-63 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that correct N-myc developmental expression is achieved via cooperation of multiple positive and negative regulatory elements. ..
- Price K, Woolf A, Long D. Unraveling the genetic landscape of bladder development in mice. J Urol. 2009;181:2366-74 pubmed publisher..These data provide novel insights into molecules that orchestrate bladder development and highlight genes that may be involved in diseases associated with abnormal differentiation. ..
- Darwich R, Li W, Yamak A, Komati H, Andelfinger G, Sun K, et al. KLF13 is a genetic modifier of the Holt-Oram syndrome gene TBX5. Hum Mol Genet. 2017;26:942-954 pubmed publisher..The data also suggest that, in human, KLF13 may be a genetic modifier of the Holt-Oram Syndrome gene TBX5. ..
- Peng X, Wu X, Druso J, Wei H, Park A, Kraus M, et al. Cardiac developmental defects and eccentric right ventricular hypertrophy in cardiomyocyte focal adhesion kinase (FAK) conditional knockout mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6638-43 pubmed publisher..Last, we found that Src, but not PI3K, is important in mediating signal transduction for the regulation of MEF2a by FAK. Together, these results identified the role and mechanisms of FAK in embryonic cardiac development. ..
- Gao X, Sedgwick T, Shi Y, Evans T. Distinct functions are implicated for the GATA-4, -5, and -6 transcription factors in the regulation of intestine epithelial cell differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:2901-11 pubmed..Based on this data, we suggest that GATA-6 might function primarily within the proliferating progenitor population, while GATA-4 and GATA-5 function during differentiation to activate terminal-differentiation genes including IFABP. ..
- Kalinichenko V, Gusarova G, Kim I, Shin B, Yoder H, Clark J, et al. Foxf1 haploinsufficiency reduces Notch-2 signaling during mouse lung development. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2004;286:L521-30 pubmed..Foxf1 haploinsufficiency disrupted pulmonary expression of genes in the Notch-2-signaling pathway and resulted in abnormal development of lung microvasculature. ..
- Nemer G, Qureshi S, Malo D, Nemer M. Functional analysis and chromosomal mapping of Gata5, a gene encoding a zinc finger DNA-binding protein. Mamm Genome. 1999;10:993-9 pubmed..Linkage analysis localized Gata5 to distal mouse Chromosome (Chr) 2 in a conserved linkage group with genes localized to rat Chr 3q43 and human Chr ..
- Morrisey E, Ip H, Tang Z, Lu M, Parmacek M. GATA-5: a transcriptional activator expressed in a novel temporally and spatially-restricted pattern during embryonic development. Dev Biol. 1997;183:21-36 pubmed..Moreover, these data suggest that GATA-5 may play an important role in the transcriptional program(s) that underlies smooth muscle cell diversity. ..
- Bhardwaj A, Rao M, Kaur R, Buttigieg M, Wilkinson M. GATA factors and androgen receptor collaborate to transcriptionally activate the Rhox5 homeobox gene in Sertoli cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:2138-53 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results suggest that the Rhox5 gene achieves Sertoli cell-specific transcription using a combinatorial strategy involving negative and cooperative positive regulation. ..
- Tahara N, Akiyama R, Theisen J, Kawakami H, Wong J, Garry D, et al. Gata6 restricts Isl1 to the posterior of nascent hindlimb buds through Isl1 cis-regulatory modules. Dev Biol. 2018;434:74-83 pubmed publisher..Our results support a model in which Gata6 contributes to repression of Isl1 expression in the anterior of nascent hindlimb buds. ..
- Rojas A, De Val S, Heidt A, Xu S, Bristow J, Black B. Gata4 expression in lateral mesoderm is downstream of BMP4 and is activated directly by Forkhead and GATA transcription factors through a distal enhancer element. Development. 2005;132:3405-17 pubmed
- Di Lisi R, Millino C, Calabria E, Altruda F, Schiaffino S, Ausoni S. Combinatorial cis-acting elements control tissue-specific activation of the cardiac troponin I gene in vitro and in vivo. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:25371-80 pubmed..These results indicate that the ability of the cardiac troponin I proximal promoter to target expression of a downstream gene in the heart is also maintained when the transgene is integrated into the genome. ..
- Nemer G, Nemer M. Transcriptional activation of BMP-4 and regulation of mammalian organogenesis by GATA-4 and -6. Dev Biol. 2003;254:131-48 pubmed..They also raise the possibility that part of the early defects in GATA-4 and/or GATA-6 null embryos may be due to impaired BMP-4 signaling. ..
- Messaoudi S, He Y, Gutsol A, Wight A, HÃ©bert R, Vilmundarson R, et al. Endothelial Gata5 transcription factor regulates blood pressure. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8835 pubmed publisher..Here we identify the transcription factor GATA5, as a new regulator of blood pressure (BP)...
- Komada M, Soriano P. Hrs, a FYVE finger protein localized to early endosomes, is implicated in vesicular traffic and required for ventral folding morphogenesis. Genes Dev. 1999;13:1475-85 pubmed..The vesicular localization of Hrs was disrupted in cells treated with wortmannin, implicating Hrs in the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathway of membrane trafficking. ..
- Kirk E, Sunde M, Costa M, Rankin S, Wolstein O, Castro M, et al. Mutations in cardiac T-box factor gene TBX20 are associated with diverse cardiac pathologies, including defects of septation and valvulogenesis and cardiomyopathy. Am J Hum Genet. 2007;81:280-91 pubmed..They provide insights into how mutation of different genes in an interactive regulatory circuit lead to diverse clinical phenotypes, with implications for diagnosis, genetic screening, and patient follow-up. ..
- Chen B, Moore T, Li Z, Sperling A, Zhang C, Andrade J, et al. Gata5 deficiency causes airway constrictor hyperresponsiveness in mice. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2014;50:787-95 pubmed publisherb>Gata5 is a transcription factor expressed in the lung, but its physiological role is unknown...
- Nemer G, Nemer M. Cooperative interaction between GATA5 and NF-ATc regulates endothelial-endocardial differentiation of cardiogenic cells. Development. 2002;129:4045-55 pubmed..model to identify the molecular hierarchy of endocardial differentiation and the role of transcription factor GATA5 in endocardial development...
- Stennard F, Costa M, Elliott D, Rankin S, Haast S, Lai D, et al. Cardiac T-box factor Tbx20 directly interacts with Nkx2-5, GATA4, and GATA5 in regulation of gene expression in the developing heart. Dev Biol. 2003;262:206-24 pubmed..Tbx20 physically interacted with cardiac transcription factors Nkx2-5, GATA4, and GATA5, collaborating to synergistically activate cardiac gene expression...
- Chen B, Hsu R, Li Z, Kogut P, Du Q, Rouser K, et al. Upstream stimulatory factor 1 activates GATA5 expression through an E-box motif. Biochem J. 2012;446:89-98 pubmed publisherSilencing of GATA5 gene expression as a result of promoter hypermethylation has been observed in lung, gastrointestinal and ovarian cancers. However, the regulation of GATA5 gene expression has been poorly understood...
- Dietrich P, Yue J, E S, Dragatsis I. Deletion of exon 20 of the Familial Dysautonomia gene Ikbkap in mice causes developmental delay, cardiovascular defects, and early embryonic lethality. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27015 pubmed publisher..Our results also indicate that deletion of exon 20 abolishes gene function. This implies that the truncated IKAP protein expressed in FD patients does not retain any significant biological function. ..
- Misra C, Sachan N, McNally C, Koenig S, Nichols H, Guggilam A, et al. Congenital heart disease-causing Gata4 mutation displays functional deficits in vivo. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002690 pubmed publisher..In summary, the Gata4 G295S mutation functions as a hypomorph in vivo and leads to defects in cardiomyocyte proliferation during embryogenesis, which may contribute to the development of congenital heart defects in humans. ..
- Kakita T, Hasegawa K, Morimoto T, Kaburagi S, Wada H, Sasayama S. p300 protein as a coactivator of GATA-5 in the transcription of cardiac-restricted atrial natriuretic factor gene. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:34096-102 pubmed
- Niederreither K, Vermot J, Messaddeq N, Schuhbaur B, Chambon P, Dolle P. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is essential for heart morphogenesis in the mouse. Development. 2001;128:1019-31 pubmed..However, cardiac neural crest cells cannot be properly rescued in Raldh2(-/- )embryos, leading to outflow tract septation defects. ..
- Dilg D, Saleh R, Phelps S, Rose Y, Dupays L, Murphy C, et al. HIRA Is Required for Heart Development and Directly Regulates Tnni2 and Tnnt3. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0161096 pubmed publisher..Thus, we show here that HIRA has locus-specific effects on gene expression and that histone chaperone activity is vital for normal heart development, impinging on pathways regulated by an established cardiac transcription factor. ..
- Capo Chichi C, Rula M, Smedberg J, Vanderveer L, Parmacek M, Morrisey E, et al. Perception of differentiation cues by GATA factors in primitive endoderm lineage determination of mouse embryonic stem cells. Dev Biol. 2005;286:574-86 pubmed..This study indicates that the lineage differentiation of ES cells can be manipulated by the expression of GATA factors. ..
- Decker K, Goldman D, Grasch C, Sussel L. Gata6 is an important regulator of mouse pancreas development. Dev Biol. 2006;298:415-29 pubmedGata4, Gata5, and Gata6 represent a subfamily of zinc-finger transcriptional regulators that are important in the development and differentiation of numerous tissues, including many endodermally-derived organs...