Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gata2
Description: GATA binding protein 2
Alias: Gata-2, endothelial transcription factor GATA-2
- Yoder M, Hiatt K, Dutt P, Mukherjee P, Bodine D, Orlic D. Characterization of definitive lymphohematopoietic stem cells in the day 9 murine yolk sac. Immunity. 1997;7:335-44 pubmed..Surprisingly, 37-fold more CD34+c-Kit+ cells reside in the day 9 yolk sac than in the P-Sp. In sum, definitive HSC are coexistent, but not equal in number, in the murine yolk sac and P-Sp prior to fetal liver colonization. ..
- Rodrigues N, Boyd A, Fugazza C, May G, Guo Y, Tipping A, et al. GATA-2 regulates granulocyte-macrophage progenitor cell function. Blood. 2008;112:4862-73 pubmed publisher..These data collectively point to GATA-2 as a novel, pivotal determinant of GMP cell fate. ..
- Huang Z, Dore L, Li Z, Orkin S, Feng G, Lin S, et al. GATA-2 reinforces megakaryocyte development in the absence of GATA-1. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:5168-80 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our data reveal that overexpression of GATA-2 facilitates aberrant megakaryopoiesis. ..
- Minegishi N, Ohta J, Suwabe N, Nakauchi H, Ishihara H, Hayashi N, et al. Alternative promoters regulate transcription of the mouse GATA-2 gene. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:3625-34 pubmed..These data indicate that the proximal 80 base pair region of IS promoter is important for the generation of cell type-specific expression of mGATA-2 from the IS exon. ..
- Snow J, Trowbridge J, Johnson K, Fujiwara T, Emambokus N, Grass J, et al. Context-dependent function of "GATA switch" sites in vivo. Blood. 2011;117:4769-72 pubmed publisher..To address this problem in the context of the locus encoding the critical hematopoietic transcription factor Gata2, we engineered mice lacking a cluster of GATA motifs 2.8 kb upstream of the Gata2 transcriptional start site...
- Johnson K, Hsu A, Ryu M, Wang J, Gao X, Boyer M, et al. Cis-element mutated in GATA2-dependent immunodeficiency governs hematopoiesis and vascular integrity. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:3692-704 pubmed publisherHaploinsufficiency for GATA2 causes human immunodeficiency syndromes characterized by mycobacterial infection, myelodysplasia, lymphedema, or aplastic anemia that progress to myeloid leukemia...
- Yu Y, Chiang Y, Yen J. GATA factors are essential for transcription of the survival gene E4bp4 and the viability response of interleukin-3 in Ba/F3 hematopoietic cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:27144-53 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that the GATA factors play an important role in transducing the survival signal of IL-3, and one of their cellular targets is E4bp4. ..
- Krueger K, Deneris E. Serotonergic transcription of human FEV reveals direct GATA factor interactions and fate of Pet-1-deficient serotonin neuron precursors. J Neurosci. 2008;28:12748-58 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify a direct transcriptional interaction between Gata-2 and FEV and a unique marker for new insight into FEV/Pet-1 function in 5-HT neuron development. ..
- Rivolta M, Holley M. GATA3 is downregulated during hair cell differentiation in the mouse cochlea. J Neurocytol. 1998;27:637-47 pubmed..We suggest that GATA3 could act as a repressor of critical genes involved in cell differentiation in the organ of Corti, enabling a progressive formation of the adult cellular pattern. ..
- Gavalas A, Ruhrberg C, Livet J, Henderson C, Krumlauf R. Neuronal defects in the hindbrain of Hoxa1, Hoxb1 and Hoxb2 mutants reflect regulatory interactions among these Hox genes. Development. 2003;130:5663-79 pubmed..Therefore, we have delineated the functional requirements in hindbrain neuronal patterning that follow the establishment of the genetic regulatory hierarchy between Hoxa1, Hoxb1 and Hoxb2. ..
- Minegishi N, Ohta J, Yamagiwa H, Suzuki N, Kawauchi S, Zhou Y, et al. The mouse GATA-2 gene is expressed in the para-aortic splanchnopleura and aorta-gonads and mesonephros region. Blood. 1999;93:4196-207 pubmed..These experiments describe an early developmental GATA-2 hematopoietic enhancer located between 6.0 and 2.5 kbp 5' to the IS exon...
- Rodrigues N, Janzen V, Forkert R, Dombkowski D, Boyd A, Orkin S, et al. Haploinsufficiency of GATA-2 perturbs adult hematopoietic stem-cell homeostasis. Blood. 2005;106:477-84 pubmed..Thus, GATA-2 dose regulates adult stem-cell homeostasis by affecting select aspects of stem cell function. ..
- Robert Moreno A, Espinosa L, de la Pompa J, Bigas A. RBPjkappa-dependent Notch function regulates Gata2 and is essential for the formation of intra-embryonic hematopoietic cells. Development. 2005;132:1117-26 pubmed..progenitors, accompanied by the lack of expression of the hematopoietic transcription factors Aml1/Runx1, Gata2 and Scl/Tal1. We show that in wild-type embryos, a few cells lining the aorta endothelium at E9...
- Ray S, Dutta D, Rumi M, Kent L, Soares M, Paul S. Context-dependent function of regulatory elements and a switch in chromatin occupancy between GATA3 and GATA2 regulate Gata2 transcription during trophoblast differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:4978-88 pubmed publisherGATA transcription factors are important regulators of tissue-specific gene expression during development. GATA2 and GATA3 have been implicated in the regulation of trophoblast-specific genes...
- Ling K, Ottersbach K, van Hamburg J, Oziemlak A, Tsai F, Orkin S, et al. GATA-2 plays two functionally distinct roles during the ontogeny of hematopoietic stem cells. J Exp Med. 2004;200:871-82 pubmed..Thus, GATA-2 plays at least two functionally distinct roles during ontogeny of HSCs: the production and expansion of HSCs in the aorta-gonad-mesonephros and the proliferation of HSCs in the adult bone marrow...
- Grass J, Boyer M, Pal S, Wu J, Weiss M, Bresnick E. GATA-1-dependent transcriptional repression of GATA-2 via disruption of positive autoregulation and domain-wide chromatin remodeling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:8811-6 pubmed..Such a mechanism is predicted to be critical for the control of hematopoiesis. ..
- Minegishi N, Suzuki N, Yokomizo T, Pan X, Fujimoto T, Takahashi S, et al. Expression and domain-specific function of GATA-2 during differentiation of the hematopoietic precursor cells in midgestation mouse embryos. Blood. 2003;102:896-905 pubmed..A reduction of GATA-2 expression or activity is required for the differentiation of precursors to hematopoietic cells. ..
- Craven S, Lim K, Ye W, Engel J, de Sauvage F, Rosenthal A. Gata2 specifies serotonergic neurons downstream of sonic hedgehog. Development. 2004;131:1165-73 pubmed..2 and Nkx6.1 cooperate to induce the closely related zinc-finger transcription factors Gata2 and Gata3...
- Fujiwara Y, Chang A, Williams A, Orkin S. Functional overlap of GATA-1 and GATA-2 in primitive hematopoietic development. Blood. 2004;103:583-5 pubmed..Thus, the function of GATA-1 and GATA-2 overlaps at the yolk sac stage. Moreover, a GATA factor, either GATA-1 or GATA-2, is required to initiate blood formation in the embryo. ..
- Joshi K, Lee S, Lee B, Lee J, Lee S. LMO4 controls the balance between excitatory and inhibitory spinal V2 interneurons. Neuron. 2009;61:839-51 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that LMO4 nucleates the assembly of a novel LIM-complex containing SCL, Gata2, and NLI...
- Peltopuro P, Kala K, Partanen J. Distinct requirements for Ascl1 in subpopulations of midbrain GABAergic neurons. Dev Biol. 2010;343:63-70 pubmed publisher..Also, our results have implications on understanding the origins of the various midbrain GABAergic neuron groups in the embryonic neuroepithelium. ..
- Wilson N, Foster S, Wang X, Knezevic K, Schütte J, Kaimakis P, et al. Combinatorial transcriptional control in blood stem/progenitor cells: genome-wide analysis of ten major transcriptional regulators. Cell Stem Cell. 2010;7:532-44 pubmed publisher..and combinatorial interactions for ten key regulators of blood stem/progenitor cells (SCL/TAL1, LYL1, LMO2, GATA2, RUNX1, MEIS1, PU...
- Lim K, Hosoya T, Brandt W, Ku C, Hosoya Ohmura S, Camper S, et al. Conditional Gata2 inactivation results in HSC loss and lymphatic mispatterning. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:3705-17 pubmed publisher..regulatory properties of this enhancer, we generated a tamoxifen-inducible Cre transgenic mouse line using the Gata2 VE enhancer (Gata2 VECre) and utilized it to temporally direct tissue-specific conditional loss of Gata2...
- Tsai F, Orkin S. Transcription factor GATA-2 is required for proliferation/survival of early hematopoietic cells and mast cell formation, but not for erythroid and myeloid terminal differentiation. Blood. 1997;89:3636-43 pubmed..Analysis of GATA-2-/-/p53-/- compound-mutant embryos shows that the absence of p53 partially restores the number of total GATA-2-/- hematopoietic cells, and therefore suggests a potential link between GATA-2 and p53 pathways. ..
- Mammoto A, Connor K, Mammoto T, Yung C, Huh D, Aderman C, et al. A mechanosensitive transcriptional mechanism that controls angiogenesis. Nature. 2009;457:1103-8 pubmed publisher..the balance of activities between two antagonistic transcription factors, TFII-I (also known as GTF2I) and GATA2, that govern gene expression of the VEGF receptor VEGFR2 (also known as KDR)...
- Tsai F, Keller G, Kuo F, Weiss M, Chen J, Rosenblatt M, et al. An early haematopoietic defect in mice lacking the transcription factor GATA-2. Nature. 1994;371:221-6 pubmed..We propose that GATA-2 regulates genes controlling growth factor responsiveness or the proliferative capacity of early haematopoietic cells. ..
- Gregory G, Raju S, Winandy S, Brown M. Mast cell IL-4 expression is regulated by Ikaros and influences encephalitogenic Th1 responses in EAE. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:1327-36 pubmed..These events likely contribute to the genetically determined heterogeneity in Th1 responses that underlie susceptibility to many diseases. ..
- Wozniak R, Boyer M, Grass J, Lee Y, Bresnick E. Context-dependent GATA factor function: combinatorial requirements for transcriptional control in hematopoietic and endothelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:14665-74 pubmed..For example, GATA-1 and GATA-2 occupy five conserved regions over approximately 100 kb of the Gata2 locus in the transcriptionally repressed and active states, respectively, in erythroid cells...
- Weiss M, Keller G, Orkin S. Novel insights into erythroid development revealed through in vitro differentiation of GATA-1 embryonic stem cells. Genes Dev. 1994;8:1184-97 pubmed..The approach used here is a paradigm for the phenotypic analysis of targeted mutations affecting hematopoietic development. ..
- Kobayashi Osaki M, Ohneda O, Suzuki N, Minegishi N, Yokomizo T, Takahashi S, et al. GATA motifs regulate early hematopoietic lineage-specific expression of the Gata2 gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:7005-20 pubmed..The expression of a green fluorescent protein (GFP) reporter placed under the control of a 3.1-kbp Gata2 gene regulatory domain 5' to the distal first exon (IS) mirrored that of the endogenous Gata2 gene within the P-Sp ..
- Chang A, Cantor A, Fujiwara Y, Lodish M, Droho S, Crispino J, et al. GATA-factor dependence of the multitype zinc-finger protein FOG-1 for its essential role in megakaryopoiesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:9237-42 pubmed..On the basis of these and previous reports, we infer that GATA factor dependence is a critical aspect of FOG protein function. ..
- Tiveron M, Pattyn A, Hirsch M, Brunet J. Role of Phox2b and Mash1 in the generation of the vestibular efferent nucleus. Dev Biol. 2003;260:46-57 pubmed
- Snow J, Trowbridge J, Fujiwara T, Emambokus N, Grass J, Orkin S, et al. A single cis element maintains repression of the key developmental regulator Gata2. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001103 pubmed publisher..Here, we have analyzed cis element regulation of the critical hematopoietic factor Gata2, which is expressed in early precursors and repressed as GATA-1 levels rise during terminal differentiation...
- Gottgens B, Nastos A, Kinston S, Piltz S, Delabesse E, Stanley M, et al. Establishing the transcriptional programme for blood: the SCL stem cell enhancer is regulated by a multiprotein complex containing Ets and GATA factors. EMBO J. 2002;21:3039-50 pubmed..Our results suggest that these transcription factors are key components of an enhanceosome responsible for activating SCL transcription and establishing the transcriptional programme required for HSC formation. ..
- Shi X, Richard J, Zirbes K, Gong W, Lin G, Kyba M, et al. Cooperative interaction of Etv2 and Gata2 regulates the development of endothelial and hematopoietic lineages. Dev Biol. 2014;389:208-18 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we demonstrate that Gata2 is co-expressed and interacts with Etv2 in the endothelial and hematopoietic cells in the early stages of ..
- Kataoka H, Hayashi M, Nakagawa R, Tanaka Y, Izumi N, Nishikawa S, et al. Etv2/ER71 induces vascular mesoderm from Flk1+PDGFR?+ primitive mesoderm. Blood. 2011;118:6975-86 pubmed publisher..Among those genes Scl, Fli1, and GATA2 were expressed simultaneously with Etv2 in early embryos and seemed to be critical targets...
- Ezoe S, Matsumura I, Nakata S, Gale K, Ishihara K, Minegishi N, et al. GATA-2/estrogen receptor chimera regulates cytokine-dependent growth of hematopoietic cells through accumulation of p21(WAF1) and p27(Kip1) proteins. Blood. 2002;100:3512-20 pubmed..These results suggest that GATA-2 may regulate expression levels of p21(WAF1) and p27(Kip1), thereby contributing to the quiescence of hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells. ..
- Di Bonito M, Narita Y, Avallone B, Sequino L, Mancuso M, Andolfi G, et al. Assembly of the auditory circuitry by a Hox genetic network in the mouse brainstem. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003249 pubmed publisher..Thus, individual rhombomeres and their associated Hox codes control the assembly of distinct functionally segregated sub-circuits in the developing auditory brainstem. ..
- Wang H, Lei Q, Oosterveen T, Ericson J, Matise M. Tcf/Lef repressors differentially regulate Shh-Gli target gene activation thresholds to generate progenitor patterning in the developing CNS. Development. 2011;138:3711-21 pubmed publisher..Together, our data reveal a Shh-Gli-independent transcriptional input that is required to shape the precise spatial and temporal response to extracellular morphogen signaling information during lineage segregation in the CNS. ..
- Maeda K, Nishiyama C, Ogawa H, Okumura K. GATA2 and Sp1 positively regulate the c-kit promoter in mast cells. J Immunol. 2010;185:4252-60 pubmed publisher..Chromatin immunoprecipitation assay and coexpression analyses showed that the transcription factor GATA2, which was recruited to the c-kit promoter in a mast cell-specific manner, in addition to Sp1, transactivated the ..
- Karamitros D, Patmanidi A, Kotantaki P, Potocnik A, BÃ¤hr Ivacevic T, Benes V, et al. Geminin deletion increases the number of fetal hematopoietic stem cells by affecting the expression of key transcription factors. Development. 2015;142:70-81 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that geminin is indispensable for fetal hematopoiesis and regulates the generation of a physiological pool of stem and progenitor cells in the fetal hematopoietic system. ..
- Cowling B, McGrath M, Nguyen M, Cottle D, Kee A, Brown S, et al. Identification of FHL1 as a regulator of skeletal muscle mass: implications for human myopathy. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:1033-48 pubmed publisher..NFATc1 also colocalizes with mutant FHL1 to reducing bodies in RBM-afflicted skeletal muscle. Therefore, via NFATc1 signaling regulation, FHL1 appears to modulate muscle mass and strength enhancement. ..
- Tsai J, Tong Q, Tan G, Chang A, Orkin S, Hotamisligil G. The transcription factor GATA2 regulates differentiation of brown adipocytes. EMBO Rep. 2005;6:879-84 pubmed..We report here that GATA2 is expressed in brown adipocyte precursors, and its expression is downregulated in a differentiation-dependent ..
- Barbieri A, Lupo G, Bulfone A, Andreazzoli M, Mariani M, Fougerousse F, et al. A homeobox gene, vax2, controls the patterning of the eye dorsoventral axis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:10729-34 pubmed..Altogether, these data indicate that vax2 plays a crucial role in eye development and, in particular, in the specification of the ventral optic vesicle. ..
- Ohmori S, Moriguchi T, Noguchi Y, Ikeda M, Kobayashi K, Tomaru N, et al. GATA2 is critical for the maintenance of cellular identity in differentiated mast cells derived from mouse bone marrow. Blood. 2015;125:3306-15 pubmed publisherb>GATA2 plays a crucial role for the mast cell fate decision. We herein demonstrate that GATA2 is also required for the maintenance of the cellular identity in committed mast cells derived from mouse bone marrow (BMMCs)...
- Li H, Jin J, Liang X, Matatall K, Ma Y, Zhang H, et al. Loss of c-Kit and bone marrow failure upon conditional removal of the GATA-2 C-terminal zinc finger domain in adult mice. Eur J Haematol. 2016;97:261-70 pubmed publisher..Upon Gata2 C-ZnF deletion, we observed rapid peripheral cytopenia, bone marrow failure, and decreased c-Kit expression on ..
- Dore L, Chlon T, Brown C, White K, Crispino J. Chromatin occupancy analysis reveals genome-wide GATA factor switching during hematopoiesis. Blood. 2012;119:3724-33 pubmed publisher..We also reveal that the GATA switch, which entails a chromatin occupancy exchange between GATA2 and GATA1 in the course of differentiation, operates on more than one-third of GATA1 bound genes...
- Lin C, Kioussi C, O Connell S, Briata P, Szeto D, Liu F, et al. Pitx2 regulates lung asymmetry, cardiac positioning and pituitary and tooth morphogenesis. Nature. 1999;401:279-82 pubmed..Thus, Pitx2 is a transcription factor that encodes 'leftness' of the lung. ..
- Cha B, Geng X, Mahamud M, Fu J, Mukherjee A, Kim Y, et al. Mechanotransduction activates canonical Wnt/?-catenin signaling to promote lymphatic vascular patterning and the development of lymphatic and lymphovenous valves. Genes Dev. 2016;30:1454-69 pubmed publisher..Thus, our work reveals that mechanical stimulation is a critical regulator of lymphatic vascular development via activation of Wnt/?-catenin signaling and, in turn, FOXC2. ..
- Taylor M, Yeager K, Morrison S. Physiological Notch signaling promotes gliogenesis in the developing peripheral and central nervous systems. Development. 2007;134:2435-47 pubmed..These results demonstrate that physiological Notch signaling is required for gliogenesis in vivo, independent of the role of Notch in the maintenance of undifferentiated neural progenitors. ..
- Gordon D, Tucker E, Tundwal K, Hall H, Wood W, Ridgway E. MED220/thyroid receptor-associated protein 220 functions as a transcriptional coactivator with Pit-1 and GATA-2 on the thyrotropin-beta promoter in thyrotropes. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:1073-89 pubmed..Thus, the TSHbeta gene is maximally activated by a combination of three thyrotrope transcription factors that act via both protein-DNA and protein-protein interactions. ..
- Bespalova I, Burmeister M. Identification of a novel LIM domain gene, LMCD1, and chromosomal localization in human and mouse. Genomics. 2000;63:69-74 pubmed..Radiation hybrid mapping localized human LMCD1 to the telomeric region of chromosome 3p, and genetic mapping assigned the mouse Lmcd1 locus to the central region of chromosome 6. ..
- Ahn E, Higashi T, Yan M, Matsuura S, Hickey C, Lo M, et al. SON protein regulates GATA-2 through transcriptional control of the microRNA 23a~27a~24-2 cluster. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:5381-8 pubmed publisher..Our data revealed a previously unidentified role of SON in microRNA production via regulating the transcription process, thereby modulating GATA-2 at the protein level during hematopoietic differentiation...
- Ezoe S, Matsumura I, Gale K, Satoh Y, Ishikawa J, Mizuki M, et al. GATA transcription factors inhibit cytokine-dependent growth and survival of a hematopoietic cell line through the inhibition of STAT3 activity. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:13163-70 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that, besides the roles as transcription factors, GATA family proteins modulate cytokine signals through protein-protein interactions, thereby regulating the growth and survival of hematopoietic cells. ..
- Hoshino T, Shimizu R, Ohmori S, Nagano M, Pan X, Ohneda O, et al. Reduced BMP4 abundance in Gata2 hypomorphic mutant mice result in uropathies resembling human CAKUT. Genes Cells. 2008;13:159-70 pubmed publisher..discovered an essential contribution of GATA-2 to urogenital development when the hematopoietic deficiency of Gata2 null mutant animals was complemented by a Gata2 yeast artificial chromosome (YAC) transgene; these mice died from ..
- Obara N, Suzuki N, Kim K, Nagasawa T, Imagawa S, Yamamoto M. Repression via the GATA box is essential for tissue-specific erythropoietin gene expression. Blood. 2008;111:5223-32 pubmed publisher..Thus, GATA-based repression is essential for the inducible and cell type-specific expression of the Epo gene. ..
- Janardhan H, Milstone Z, Shin M, Lawson N, Keaney J, Trivedi C. Hdac3 regulates lymphovenous and lymphatic valve formation. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:4193-4206 pubmed publisher..Hdac3-deficient lymphovenous valves and lymphatic vessels exhibited reduced expression of the transcription factor Gata2 and its target genes...
- Borges L, Iacovino M, Mayerhofer T, Koyano Nakagawa N, Baik J, Garry D, et al. A critical role for endoglin in the emergence of blood during embryonic development. Blood. 2012;119:5417-28 pubmed publisher..globin and key bone morphogenic protein (BMP) target genes, including the hematopoietic regulators Scl, Gata1, Gata2, and Msx-1...
- Parganas E, Wang D, Stravopodis D, Topham D, Marine J, Teglund S, et al. Jak2 is essential for signaling through a variety of cytokine receptors. Cell. 1998;93:385-95 pubmed..Therefore, Jak2 plays a critical, nonredundant role in the function of a specific group of cytokines receptors. ..
- Nozawa D, Suzuki N, Kobayashi Osaki M, Pan X, Engel J, Yamamoto M. GATA2-dependent and region-specific regulation of Gata2 transcription in the mouse midbrain. Genes Cells. 2009;14:569-82 pubmed publisherTranscription factor GATA2 is expressed in numerous mammalian tissues, including neural, hematopoietic, cardiovascular and urogenital systems, and yet it plays important roles in the regulation of tissue-restricted gene expression...
- Pattyn A, Simplicio N, van Doorninck J, Goridis C, Guillemot F, Brunet J. Ascl1/Mash1 is required for the development of central serotonergic neurons. Nat Neurosci. 2004;7:589-95 pubmed..Thus Ascl1, which is essential for noradrenergic differentiation, is also a determinant of the serotonergic phenotype. ..
- Vesper A, Raetzman L, Camper S. Role of prophet of Pit1 (PROP1) in gonadotrope differentiation and puberty. Endocrinology. 2006;147:1654-63 pubmed..We report no obvious abnormalities in expression of the transcription factors early growth response 1, NR5A1, GATA2, TBX19, and NR0B1, or the TGFbeta pathway members including activin, inhibin, and activin receptors...