Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Fzd8
Description: frizzled class receptor 8
Alias: Fz8, frizzled-8, frizzled homolog 8, fz-8
- Takada R, Hijikata H, Kondoh H, Takada S. Analysis of combinatorial effects of Wnts and Frizzleds on beta-catenin/armadillo stabilization and Dishevelled phosphorylation. Genes Cells. 2005;10:919-28 pubmed
- Mao B, Wu W, Li Y, Hoppe D, Stannek P, Glinka A, et al. LDL-receptor-related protein 6 is a receptor for Dickkopf proteins. Nature. 2001;411:321-5 pubmed..Thus, DKKs inhibit Wnt co-receptor function, exemplifying the modulation of LRP signalling by antagonists. ..
- Spanjer A, Baarsma H, Oostenbrink L, Jansen S, Kuipers C, Lindner M, et al. TGF-Î²-induced profibrotic signaling is regulated in part by the WNT receptor Frizzled-8. FASEB J. 2016;30:1823-35 pubmed publisher..Specific small interfering RNA was used to knock down FZD8. In vivo studies using bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis were performed in wild-type and FZD8-deficient mice...
- Godin E, Dehart D, Parnell S, O Leary Moore S, Sulik K. Ventromedian forebrain dysgenesis follows early prenatal ethanol exposure in mice. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2011;33:231-9 pubmed publisher..In GD 12.5 control and ethanol-exposed embryos, in situ hybridization employing probes for Nkx2.1 or Fzd8 to distinguish the preoptic area and medial ganglionic eminences (MGEs) from the lateral ganglionic eminences, ..
- Xu Q, Wang Y, Dabdoub A, Smallwood P, Williams J, Woods C, et al. Vascular development in the retina and inner ear: control by Norrin and Frizzled-4, a high-affinity ligand-receptor pair. Cell. 2004;116:883-95 pubmed..These data define a Norrin-Fz4 signaling system that plays a central role in vascular development in the eye and ear, and they indicate that ligands unrelated to Wnts can act through Fz receptors. ..
- Lu C, Robertson E. Multiple roles for Nodal in the epiblast of the mouse embryo in the establishment of anterior-posterior patterning. Dev Biol. 2004;273:149-59 pubmed
- Tamai K, Semenov M, Kato Y, Spokony R, Liu C, Katsuyama Y, et al. LDL-receptor-related proteins in Wnt signal transduction. Nature. 2000;407:530-5 pubmed..The extracellular domain of LRP6 bound Wnt-1 and associated with Fz in a Wnt-dependent manner. Our results indicate that LRP6 may be a component of the Wnt receptor complex. ..
- Zhu W, Shiojima I, Ito Y, Li Z, Ikeda H, Yoshida M, et al. IGFBP-4 is an inhibitor of canonical Wnt signalling required for cardiogenesis. Nature. 2008;454:345-9 pubmed publisher..IGFBP-4 physically interacted with a Wnt receptor, Frizzled 8 (Frz8), and a Wnt co-receptor, low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 6 (LRP6), and inhibited the ..
- Costello I, Pimeisl I, DrÃ¤ger S, Bikoff E, Robertson E, Arnold S. The T-box transcription factor Eomesodermin acts upstream of Mesp1 to specify cardiac mesoderm during mouse gastrulation. Nat Cell Biol. 2011;13:1084-91 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our experiments demonstrate that Eomes governs discrete context-dependent transcriptional programmes that sequentially specify cardiac and definitive endoderm progenitors during gastrulation. ..
- Staal F, Meeldijk J, Moerer P, Jay P, van de Weerdt B, Vainio S, et al. Wnt signaling is required for thymocyte development and activates Tcf-1 mediated transcription. Eur J Immunol. 2001;31:285-93 pubmed..Retroviral expression of soluble Wnt receptor mutants that block Wnt signaling inhibits thymocyte development. These results imply an important role for the Wnt cascade in thymocyte development. ..
- Rinn J, Wang J, Allen N, Brugmann S, Mikels A, Liu H, et al. A dermal HOX transcriptional program regulates site-specific epidermal fate. Genes Dev. 2008;22:303-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, maintenance of appropriate HOX transcriptional program in adult fibroblasts may serve as a source of positional memory to differentially pattern the epithelia during homeostasis and regeneration. ..
- Bourhis E, Tam C, Franke Y, Bazan J, Ernst J, Hwang J, et al. Reconstitution of a frizzled8.Wnt3a.LRP6 signaling complex reveals multiple Wnt and Dkk1 binding sites on LRP6. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:9172-9 pubmed publisher..In this report we describe insect cell expression and purification of soluble mouse Fz8 cysteine-rich domain and human LRP6 extracellular domain and show that they inhibit Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in ..
- Kim A, Lowenstein D, Pleasure S. Wnt receptors and Wnt inhibitors are expressed in gradients in the developing telencephalon. Mech Dev. 2001;103:167-72 pubmed..In addition, SFRP-1 and SFRP-3 are expressed in opposing anterolateral to caudomedial gradients within the telencephalic ventricular zone throughout corticogenesis. ..
- Albers J, Keller J, Baranowsky A, Beil F, Catala Lehnen P, Schulze J, et al. Canonical Wnt signaling inhibits osteoclastogenesis independent of osteoprotegerin. J Cell Biol. 2013;200:537-49 pubmed publisher..the expression pattern of all known genes encoding Wnt receptors in mouse tissues and bone cells we identified Frizzled 8 (Fzd8) as a candidate regulator of bone remodeling...
- Lu W, Yamamoto V, Ortega B, Baltimore D. Mammalian Ryk is a Wnt coreceptor required for stimulation of neurite outgrowth. Cell. 2004;119:97-108 pubmed..Thus, Ryk appears to play a crucial role in Wnt-mediated signaling. ..
- Sugimura R, He X, Venkatraman A, Arai F, Box A, Semerad C, et al. Noncanonical Wnt signaling maintains hematopoietic stem cells in the niche. Cell. 2012;150:351-65 pubmed publisher..Fmi regulates Fz8 distribution at the interface between HSCs and N-cadherin(+) osteoblasts (N-cad(+)OBs that enrich osteoprogenitors) ..
- Stefater J, Lewkowich I, Rao S, Mariggi G, Carpenter A, Burr A, et al. Regulation of angiogenesis by a non-canonical Wnt-Flt1 pathway in myeloid cells. Nature. 2011;474:511-5 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that resident myeloid cells can use a non-canonical, Wnt-Flt1 pathway to suppress angiogenic branching. ..
- Wright K, Mahoney Rogers A, Zhang J, Shim K. Cooperative and independent functions of FGF and Wnt signaling during early inner ear development. BMC Dev Biol. 2015;15:33 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our data suggest that although specification of the otic placode may be globally regulated by FGF signaling, otic specification of cells in which both FGF and Wnt signaling are active may be more tightly regulated. ..
- De Langhe S, Sala F, del Moral P, Fairbanks T, Yamada K, Warburton D, et al. Dickkopf-1 (DKK1) reveals that fibronectin is a major target of Wnt signaling in branching morphogenesis of the mouse embryonic lung. Dev Biol. 2005;277:316-31 pubmed..DKK1-induced morphogenetic defects can be mimicked by inhibition of FN and overcome by addition of exogenous FN, suggesting an involvement of FN in Wnt-regulated morphogenetic processes. ..
- Fischer T, Guimera J, Wurst W, Prakash N. Distinct but redundant expression of the Frizzled Wnt receptor genes at signaling centers of the developing mouse brain. Neuroscience. 2007;147:693-711 pubmed..This redundancy has to be taken into consideration for future analyses of Frizzled receptor function at these signaling centers in the mouse. ..
- González Sancho J, Brennan K, Castelo Soccio L, Brown A. Wnt proteins induce dishevelled phosphorylation via an LRP5/6- independent mechanism, irrespective of their ability to stabilize beta-catenin. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:4757-68 pubmed..Our data also present Dvl phosphorylation as a general biochemical assay for Wnt protein function, including those Wnts that do not activate the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway. ..
- Lu C, Robertson E, Brennan J. The mouse frizzled 8 receptor is expressed in anterior organizer tissues. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;4:569-72 pubmed..Here we report that the mouse frizzled 8 (mfz8) gene, a Wnt receptor, is expressed in the anterior visceral endoderm (AVE) and the anterior primitive ..
- Liu Y, Asakura M, Inoue H, Nakamura T, Sano M, Niu Z, et al. Sox17 is essential for the specification of cardiac mesoderm in embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:3859-64 pubmed..Sox17 short-hairpin RNA blocks cardiac myogenesis non-cell autonomously and impairs the induction of Hex, a homeodomain transcription factor that is known to be required for the production of endoderm-derived heart-inducing factors. ..
- Nakamura M, Ishikawa O. The localization of label-retaining cells in mouse nails. J Invest Dermatol. 2008;128:728-30 pubmed
- Rawal N, Castelo Branco G, Sousa K, Kele J, Kobayashi K, Okano H, et al. Dynamic temporal and cell type-specific expression of Wnt signaling components in the developing midbrain. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:1626-36 pubmed..We found that Fz8 is expressed at high levels in DA neurons at E11.5 and E13.5...
- Nam J, Turcotte T, Smith P, Choi S, Yoon J. Mouse cristin/R-spondin family proteins are novel ligands for the Frizzled 8 and LRP6 receptors and activate beta-catenin-dependent gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:13247-57 pubmed..In this study, we provide several lines of evidence that the mouse Cristin/R-spondin family proteins function as Fzd8 and LRP6 receptor ligands and induce the canonical Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway, leading to TCF-dependent ..
- Kubo F, Nakagawa S. Hairy1 acts as a node downstream of Wnt signaling to maintain retinal stem cell-like progenitor cells in the chick ciliary marginal zone. Development. 2009;136:1823-33 pubmed publisher..We thus propose that Hairy1 functions as a node downstream of Wnt signaling to maintain progenitor cells in the chick CMZ. ..
- Miquelajauregui A, Van de Putte T, Polyakov A, Nityanandam A, Boppana S, Seuntjens E, et al. Smad-interacting protein-1 (Zfhx1b) acts upstream of Wnt signaling in the mouse hippocampus and controls its formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12919-24 pubmed..Sip1 is therefore essential to the development of the hippocampus and dentate gyrus, and is able to modulate Wnt signaling in these regions. ..
- Semenov M, Tamai K, He X. SOST is a ligand for LRP5/LRP6 and a Wnt signaling inhibitor. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:26770-5 pubmed..Our findings suggest that SOST is an antagonist for Wnt signaling and that the loss of SOST function likely leads to the hyperactivation of Wnt signaling that underlies bone overgrowth seen in sclerosteosis patients. ..
- Yao R, Maeda T, Takada S, Noda T. Identification of a PDZ domain containing Golgi protein, GOPC, as an interaction partner of frizzled. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;286:771-8 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that GOPC may play a role in the vesicle transport of frizzled from the Golgi apparatus to the plasma membrane. ..
- Daneman R, Agalliu D, Zhou L, Kuhnert F, Kuo C, Barres B. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling is required for CNS, but not non-CNS, angiogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:641-6 pubmed publisher..Taken together these experiments reveal an essential role for Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in driving CNS-specific angiogenesis and provide molecular evidence that angiogenesis and BBB formation are in part linked. ..
- Kemp C, Willems E, Wawrzak D, Hendrickx M, Agbor Agbor T, Leyns L. Expression of Frizzled5, Frizzled7, and Frizzled10 during early mouse development and interactions with canonical Wnt signaling. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2011-9 pubmed..Moreover, at the gastrulation stage, the only Fzd with a known characterized expression pattern is Fzd8, which is expressed in the anterior visceral endoderm (aVE) (Lu et al.  Gene Expr Patterns 4:569-572)...
- Semenov M, Tamai K, Brott B, Kuhl M, Sokol S, He X. Head inducer Dickkopf-1 is a ligand for Wnt coreceptor LRP6. Curr Biol. 2001;11:951-61 pubmed..Our findings suggest that Wnt-Fz-LRP6 complex formation, but not Wnt-Fz interaction, triggers Wnt/beta-catenin signaling. ..
- Voronkov A, Baskin I, Palyulin V, Zefirov N. Molecular modeling of the complex between the xWNT8 protein and the CRD domain of the mFZD8 receptor. Dokl Biochem Biophys. 2007;412:8-11 pubmed
- Kumar S, Zigman M, Patel T, Trageser B, Gross J, Rahm K, et al. Molecular dissection of Wnt3a-Frizzled8 interaction reveals essential and modulatory determinants of Wnt signaling activity. BMC Biol. 2014;12:44 pubmed publisher..We propose a concentration-dependent switch in Wnt-CRD complex formation from an inactive aggregation state to an activated high mobility state as a possible modulatory mechanism in Wnt signaling gradients. ..
- Ye X, Wang Y, Rattner A, Nathans J. Genetic mosaic analysis reveals a major role for frizzled 4 and frizzled 8 in controlling ureteric growth in the developing kidney. Development. 2011;138:1161-72 pubmed publisher..Targeted mutations in the Wnt receptors frizzled (Fz) 4 and Fz8 lead to reduced ureteric bud growth and a reduction in kidney size, a phenotype previously reported for loss of ..
- Teo A, Arnold S, Trotter M, Brown S, Ang L, Chng Z, et al. Pluripotency factors regulate definitive endoderm specification through eomesodermin. Genes Dev. 2011;25:238-50 pubmed publisher..Together, these results provide for the first time a comprehensive molecular model connecting the transition from pluripotency to endoderm specification during mammalian development. ..
- Britanova O, de Juan Romero C, Cheung A, Kwan K, Schwark M, Gyorgy A, et al. Satb2 is a postmitotic determinant for upper-layer neuron specification in the neocortex. Neuron. 2008;57:378-92 pubmed publisher..Satb2 therefore is required for the initiation of the UL1-specific genetic program and for the inactivation of DL- and UL2-specific genes. ..
- Yao R, Natsume Y, Noda T. MAGI-3 is involved in the regulation of the JNK signaling pathway as a scaffold protein for frizzled and Ltap. Oncogene. 2004;23:6023-30 pubmed..These results indicate that MAGI-3 functions as a scaffold protein for frizzled-4 and Ltap and regulates the JNK signaling cascade. ..
- Sheldahl L, Park M, Malbon C, Moon R. Protein kinase C is differentially stimulated by Wnt and Frizzled homologs in a G-protein-dependent manner. Curr Biol. 1999;9:695-8 pubmed..In agreement with other studies   .   these data support the existence of multiple Wnt and Frizzled signaling pathways in vertebrates. ..
- Liu C, Widen S, Williamson K, Ratnapriya R, Gerth Kahlert C, Rainger J, et al. A secreted WNT-ligand-binding domain of FZD5 generated by a frameshift mutation causes autosomal dominant coloboma. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:1382-91 pubmed publisher..and disruption of the apical junction of the retinal neural epithelium in mouse, mimicking the phenotype of Fz5/Fz8 compound conditional knockout mutants...
- Avilés E, Pinto C, Hanna P, Ojeda J, Perez V, De Ferrari G, et al. Frizzled-9 impairs acetylcholine receptor clustering in skeletal muscle cells. Front Cell Neurosci. 2014;8:110 pubmed publisher..Our findings represent the first evidence pointing to a crucial role of a Fzd-mediated, ?-catenin-dependent signaling on the assembly of the vertebrate NMJ. ..
- Muzio L, Mallamaci A. Foxg1 confines Cajal-Retzius neuronogenesis and hippocampal morphogenesis to the dorsomedial pallium. J Neurosci. 2005;25:4435-41 pubmed..Remarkably, in the absence of Foxg1, additional inactivation of the medial fates promoter Emx2, although not suppressing cortical specification, conversely rescues overproduction of Reelin(on) neurons. ..
- Borello U, Buffa V, Sonnino C, Melchionna R, Vivarelli E, Cossu G. Differential expression of the Wnt putative receptors Frizzled during mouse somitogenesis. Mech Dev. 1999;89:173-7 pubmed..Frizzled 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9 have specific expression in the forming and differentiating somites. The genes analyzed have a complex and partly overlapping pattern of expression in other regions of the embryo. ..
- Noguchi T, Ishimine H, Nakajima Y, Watanabe Susaki K, Shigeta N, Yamakawa N, et al. Novel cell surface genes expressed in the stomach primordium during gastrointestinal morphogenesis of mouse embryos. Gene Expr Patterns. 2012;12:154-63 pubmed publisher..These novel genes will be useful in expanding our understanding of the mechanisms of gastrointestinal development. ..