Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Fzd3
Description: frizzled class receptor 3
Alias: AU020229, D930050A07Rik, Fz3, frizzled-3, frizzled homolog 3, fz-3, mFz3
- Sasselli V, Boesmans W, Vanden Berghe P, Tissir F, Goffinet A, Pachnis V. Planar cell polarity genes control the connectivity of enteric neurons. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:1763-72 pubmed publisher..Here we report that the planar cell polarity (PCP) genes Celsr3 and Fzd3 are required during murine embryogenesis to specifically control the guidance and growth of enteric neuronal ..
- Wang Y, Thekdi N, Smallwood P, Macke J, Nathans J. Frizzled-3 is required for the development of major fiber tracts in the rostral CNS. J Neurosci. 2002;22:8563-73 pubmed..In this study, we show that targeted deletion of the mouse fz3 gene leads to severe defects in several major axon tracts within the forebrain...
- Fenstermaker A, Prasad A, Bechara A, Adolfs Y, Tissir F, Goffinet A, et al. Wnt/planar cell polarity signaling controls the anterior-posterior organization of monoaminergic axons in the brainstem. J Neurosci. 2010;30:16053-64 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data suggest that Wnt/planar cell polarity signaling may be a global anterior-posterior guidance mechanism that controls axonal and cellular organization beyond the spinal cord. ..
- Lyuksyutova A, Lu C, Milanesio N, King L, Guo N, Wang Y, et al. Anterior-posterior guidance of commissural axons by Wnt-frizzled signaling. Science. 2003;302:1984-8 pubmed..Thus, Wnt-Frizzled signaling guides commissural axons along the anterior-posterior axis of the spinal cord. ..
- Tissir F, Goffinet A. Expression of planar cell polarity genes during development of the mouse CNS. Eur J Neurosci. 2006;23:597-607 pubmedAtypical cadherin (Celsr3) and the receptor Frizzled3 (Fzd3) are crucial for the development of axonal tracts in the mouse CNS...
- Chai G, Zhou L, Manto M, Helmbacher F, Clotman F, Goffinet A, et al. Celsr3 is required in motor neurons to steer their axons in the hindlimb. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:1171-9 pubmed publisher..cells, Celsr3 immunoprecipitates with ephrinA2, ephrinA5, Ret, GDNF family receptor Î±1 (GFRÎ±1) and Frizzled3 (Fzd3). The function of Celsr3 is Fzd3 dependent but Vangl2 independent...
- Lee J, Andreeva A, Sipe C, Liu L, Cheng A, Lu X. PTK7 regulates myosin II activity to orient planar polarity in the mammalian auditory epithelium. Curr Biol. 2012;22:956-66 pubmed publisher..By contrast, vinculin planar asymmetry and stereociliary bundle orientation were restored in Fz3(-/-);Ptk7(-/-) double mutants...
- Borello U, Buffa V, Sonnino C, Melchionna R, Vivarelli E, Cossu G. Differential expression of the Wnt putative receptors Frizzled during mouse somitogenesis. Mech Dev. 1999;89:173-7 pubmed..Frizzled 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9 have specific expression in the forming and differentiating somites. The genes analyzed have a complex and partly overlapping pattern of expression in other regions of the embryo. ..
- Grimsley Myers C, Sipe C, Géléoc G, Lu X. The small GTPase Rac1 regulates auditory hair cell morphogenesis. J Neurosci. 2009;29:15859-69 pubmed publisher..Together, these results reveal a critical function of Rac1 in morphogenesis of the auditory sensory epithelium and stereociliary bundle...
- Stuebner S, Faus Kessler T, Fischer T, Wurst W, Prakash N. Fzd3 and Fzd6 deficiency results in a severe midbrain morphogenesis defect. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:246-60 pubmed publisher..b>Fzd3 is expressed throughout the mouse anterior neural tube, whereas Fzd6 is restricted to the MHR...
- Iizuka Kogo A, Senda T, Akiyama T, Shimomura A, Nomura R, Hasegawa Y, et al. Requirement of DLG1 for cardiovascular development and tissue elongation during cochlear, enteric, and skeletal development: possible role in convergent extension. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0123965 pubmed publisher..Thus, our present results provide a possibility that DLG1 is particularly required for convergent extension among PCP signaling-dependent processes. ..
- Chang C, Tsai R, Tsai M, Lin Y, Hirobe T. The roles of Frizzled-3 and Wnt3a on melanocyte development: in vitro studies on neural crest cells and melanocyte precursor cell lines. J Dermatol Sci. 2014;75:100-8 pubmed publisher..The effect of Wnt3a on human melanocytes is similar to its effects on murine melanocytes. Therefore Wnt3a/Frizzled-3 signaling is a promising target for human melanocyte regeneration. ..
- Vivancos V, Chen P, Spassky N, Qian D, Dabdoub A, KELLEY M, et al. Wnt activity guides facial branchiomotor neuron migration, and involves the PCP pathway and JNK and ROCK kinases. Neural Dev. 2009;4:7 pubmed publisher..Molecules of the PCP pathway and the JNK and ROCK kinases also play a role in the FBM migration and are likely mediators of Wnt signalling. ..
- Chacon Heszele M, Ren D, Reynolds A, Chi F, Chen P. Regulation of cochlear convergent extension by the vertebrate planar cell polarity pathway is dependent on p120-catenin. Development. 2012;139:968-78 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that the vertebrate PCP pathway regulates CE and hair cell polarity independently and that a p120-catenin-dependent mechanism regulates CE of the cochlea. ..
- Kato K, Bhattaram P, Penzo MÃ©ndez A, Gadi A, Lefebvre V. SOXC Transcription Factors Induce Cartilage Growth Plate Formation in Mouse Embryos by Promoting Noncanonical WNT Signaling. J Bone Miner Res. 2015;30:1560-71 pubmed publisher..WNT ligand required for growth plate formation, and in chondrocytes and perichondrocytes for expression of Fzd3 and Csnk1e, which encode a WNT receptor and casein kinase-1 subunit mediating planar cell polarity, respectively...
- Wright K, Mahoney Rogers A, Zhang J, Shim K. Cooperative and independent functions of FGF and Wnt signaling during early inner ear development. BMC Dev Biol. 2015;15:33 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our data suggest that although specification of the otic placode may be globally regulated by FGF signaling, otic specification of cells in which both FGF and Wnt signaling are active may be more tightly regulated. ..
- Papadopoulou S, Edlund H. Attenuated Wnt signaling perturbs pancreatic growth but not pancreatic function. Diabetes. 2005;54:2844-51 pubmed..Collectively, our data provide evidence that Wnt signaling is required for pancreatic growth but not adult beta-cell function. ..
- Kemp C, Willems E, Wawrzak D, Hendrickx M, Agbor Agbor T, Leyns L. Expression of Frizzled5, Frizzled7, and Frizzled10 during early mouse development and interactions with canonical Wnt signaling. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2011-9 pubmed
- Sala C, Formenti E, Terstappen G, Caricasole A. Identification, gene structure, and expression of human frizzled-3 (FZD3). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;273:27-34 pubmed..the identification, genomic structure, chromosomal localization, and expression analysis of human frizzled-3 (FZD3), a 7-transmembrane receptor belonging to the frizzled family...
- Ren D, Kelly M, Kim S, Grimsley Myers C, Chi F, Chen P. Testin interacts with vangl2 genetically to regulate inner ear sensory cell orientation and the normal development of the female reproductive tract in mice. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:1454-65 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, its genetic interaction with Vangl2 implicated it as a potential molecular link, responsible for mediating the role of Vangl2-containing membranous PCP complexes in directing morphologic polarization. ..
- Boutin C, Labedan P, Dimidschstein J, Richard F, Cremer H, Andre P, et al. A dual role for planar cell polarity genes in ciliated cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E3129-38 pubmed publisher..signal, controlled by cadherin, EGF-like, laminin G-like, seven-pass, G-type receptor (Celsr) 2, Celsr3, Frizzled3 (Fzd3) and Van Gogh like2 (Vangl2) organizes multicilia in individual cells (single-cell polarity), whereas the second ..
- Liu H, Mohamed O, Dufort D, Wallace V. Characterization of Wnt signaling components and activation of the Wnt canonical pathway in the murine retina. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:323-34 pubmed
- Stefater J, Lewkowich I, Rao S, Mariggi G, Carpenter A, Burr A, et al. Regulation of angiogenesis by a non-canonical Wnt-Flt1 pathway in myeloid cells. Nature. 2011;474:511-5 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that resident myeloid cells can use a non-canonical, Wnt-Flt1 pathway to suppress angiogenic branching. ..
- Wang S, Liu Y, Zhang Z, Wang Z, Xu Y, Wang Z. Temporal and spatial expression profiles of Frizzled 3 in the ovary during the estrous cycle. Genet Mol Res. 2016;15: pubmed publisherb>Frizzled 3 is an important receptor in the Wnt/Î²-catenin pathway, a conserved signaling pathway that regulates gene expression and controls diverse developmental processes...
- Austin T, Solar G, Ziegler F, Liem L, Matthews W. A role for the Wnt gene family in hematopoiesis: expansion of multilineage progenitor cells. Blood. 1997;89:3624-35 pubmed..The expression profiles of four murine frizzled homologs, Mfz3-7, were nearly identical to that of Wnt-5a and Wnt-10b...
- Deutscher E, Hung Chang Yao H. Essential roles of mesenchyme-derived beta-catenin in mouse Müllerian duct morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2007;307:227-36 pubmed..In summary, our findings suggest that mesenchymal beta-catenin is a downstream effector of Wnt7a that mediates the patterning of the oviduct and proper differentiation of the uterus. ..
- Yamamoto S, Nishimura O, Misaki K, Nishita M, Minami Y, Yonemura S, et al. Cthrc1 selectively activates the planar cell polarity pathway of Wnt signaling by stabilizing the Wnt-receptor complex. Dev Cell. 2008;15:23-36 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Cthrc1 is a Wnt cofactor protein that selectively activates the Wnt/PCP pathway by stabilizing ligand-receptor interaction. ..
- Qu Y, Huang Y, Feng J, Alvarez Bolado G, Grove E, Yang Y, et al. Genetic evidence that Celsr3 and Celsr2, together with Fzd3, regulate forebrain wiring in a Vangl-independent manner. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E2996-3004 pubmed publisherCelsr3 and Fzd3, members of "core planar cell polarity" (PCP) genes, were shown previously to control forebrain axon guidance and wiring by acting in axons and/or guidepost cells...
- Feng J, Xian Q, Guan T, Hu J, Wang M, Huang Y, et al. Celsr3 and Fzd3 Organize a Pioneer Neuron Scaffold to Steer Growing Thalamocortical Axons. Cereb Cortex. 2016;26:3323-34 pubmed publisherCelsr3 and Fzd3 regulate the development of reciprocal thalamocortical projections independently of their expression in cortical or thalamic neurons...
- Takagishi M, Sawada M, Ohata S, Asai N, Enomoto A, Takahashi K, et al. Daple Coordinates Planar Polarized Microtubule Dynamics in Ependymal Cells and Contributes to Hydrocephalus. Cell Rep. 2017;20:960-972 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate an important role for Daple in planar polarity in motile cilia and provide a framework for understanding the mechanisms and functions of planar polarization in the ependymal cells. ..
- Avilés E, Pinto C, Hanna P, Ojeda J, Perez V, De Ferrari G, et al. Frizzled-9 impairs acetylcholine receptor clustering in skeletal muscle cells. Front Cell Neurosci. 2014;8:110 pubmed publisher..Our findings represent the first evidence pointing to a crucial role of a Fzd-mediated, ?-catenin-dependent signaling on the assembly of the vertebrate NMJ. ..
- Hung B, Wang X, Cam G, Rothnagel J. Characterization of mouse Frizzled-3 expression in hair follicle development and identification of the human homolog in keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 2001;116:940-6 pubmed..The human Frizzled-3 gene was mapped using a radiation-hybrid cell line panel to the short arm of chromosome 8 between the markers WI-1172 and WI-8496 near the loci for the Hypotrichosis of Marie Unna and Hairless genes. ..
- Davis E, Zou Y, Ghosh A. Wnts acting through canonical and noncanonical signaling pathways exert opposite effects on hippocampal synapse formation. Neural Dev. 2008;3:32 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest that the pro- and antisynaptogenic effects of Wnt proteins are associated with the activation of the canonical and noncanonical Wnt signaling pathways. ..
- Yoshikawa M, Hirabayashi M, Ito R, Ozaki S, Aizawa S, Masuda T, et al. Contribution of the Runx1 transcription factor to axonal pathfinding and muscle innervation by hypoglossal motoneurons. Dev Neurobiol. 2015;75:1295-314 pubmed publisher..However, Runx1 deficiency did not alter neuronal survival or the expression of multiple motoneuron markers as in other neuronal populations. Thus, Runx1 appears to have distinct developmental functions in different brain regions. ..
- Neumann P, Koch S, Hilgarth R, Perez Chanona E, Denning P, Jobin C, et al. Gut commensal bacteria and regional Wnt gene expression in the proximal versus distal colon. Am J Pathol. 2014;184:592-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the morphological and physiological heterogeneity within the colon is in part facilitated by the differential expression of Wnt signaling components and influenced by colonization with bacteria. ..
- Kojima T, Morikawa Y, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, Senba E, et al. TROY, a newly identified member of the tumor necrosis factor receptor superfamily, exhibits a homology with Edar and is expressed in embryonic skin and hair follicles. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:20742-7 pubmed..The Troy gene is located near the waved coat (Wc) locus, a mutant related to abnormalities in skin and hair. ..
- Fischer T, Guimera J, Wurst W, Prakash N. Distinct but redundant expression of the Frizzled Wnt receptor genes at signaling centers of the developing mouse brain. Neuroscience. 2007;147:693-711 pubmed..This redundancy has to be taken into consideration for future analyses of Frizzled receptor function at these signaling centers in the mouse. ..
- Hua Z, Smallwood P, Nathans J. Frizzled3 controls axonal development in distinct populations of cranial and spinal motor neurons. elife. 2013;2:e01482 pubmed publisherDisruption of the Frizzled3 (Fz3) gene leads to defects in axonal growth in the VII(th) and XII(th) cranial motor nerves, the phrenic nerve, and the dorsal motor nerve in fore- and hindlimbs...
- Chen Y, Stump R, Lovicu F, Shimono A, McAvoy J. Wnt signaling is required for organization of the lens fiber cell cytoskeleton and development of lens three-dimensional architecture. Dev Biol. 2008;324:161-76 pubmed publisher..Components of the Wnt/Planar Cell Polarity (PCP) pathway were downregulated or inhibited. Taken together this supports a role for Wnt/PCP signaling in orchestrating the complex organization and dynamics of the fiber cell cytoskeleton...
- Smith R, Huang Y, Tian T, Vojtasova D, Mesalles Naranjo O, Pollard S, et al. The Transcription Factor Foxg1 Promotes Optic Fissure Closure in the Mouse by Suppressing Wnt8b in the Nasal Optic Stalk. J Neurosci. 2017;37:7975-7993 pubmed publisher..Our results unravel a new role of Foxg1 in promoting OF closure providing additional knowledge about the molecules and cellular mechanisms underlying coloboma formation. ..
- Jones C, Roper V, Foucher I, Qian D, Banizs B, Petit C, et al. Ciliary proteins link basal body polarization to planar cell polarity regulation. Nat Genet. 2008;40:69-77 pubmed..Thus, our data uncover a distinct requirement for ciliary genes in basal body positioning and morphological polarization during PCP regulation. ..
- Agalliu D, Takada S, Agalliu I, McMahon A, Jessell T. Motor neurons with axial muscle projections specified by Wnt4/5 signaling. Neuron. 2009;61:708-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, two dorsoventral signaling pathways, mediated by Shh and Wnt4/5, are required to establish an early binary divergence in motor neuron columnar identity. ..
- Shen N, Qu Y, Yu Y, So K, Goffinet A, Vardi N, et al. Frizzled3 Shapes the Development of Retinal Rod Bipolar Cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016;57:2788-96 pubmed publisherFrizzled3 (Fzd3), a member of the core planar cell polarity (PCP) family in mammals, contributes to visual development by guiding axonal projections of some retinal ganglion cells...
- Merte J, Jensen D, Wright K, Sarsfield S, Wang Y, Schekman R, et al. Sec24b selectively sorts Vangl2 to regulate planar cell polarity during neural tube closure. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:41-6; sup pp 1-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, during COPII vesicle formation, Sec24b shows cargo specificity for a core PCP component, Vangl2, of which proper ER-to-Golgi transport is essential for the establishment of PCP, convergent extension and closure of the neural tube. ..
- Morello F, Prasad A, Rehberg K, Vieira de SÃ¡ R, AntÃ³n BolaÃ±os N, Leyva Díaz E, et al. Frizzled3 Controls Axonal Polarity and Intermediate Target Entry during Striatal Pathway Development. J Neurosci. 2015;35:14205-19 pubmed publisher..e., striatal and thalamocortical axons). ..
- Tissir F, Qu Y, Montcouquiol M, Zhou L, Komatsu K, Shi D, et al. Lack of cadherins Celsr2 and Celsr3 impairs ependymal ciliogenesis, leading to fatal hydrocephalus. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:700-7 pubmed publisher..The membrane distribution of Vangl2 and Fzd3, two key planar cell polarity proteins, was disturbed in Celsr2 mutants, and even more so in Celsr2 and Celsr3 ..
- Xu Q, Wang Y, Dabdoub A, Smallwood P, Williams J, Woods C, et al. Vascular development in the retina and inner ear: control by Norrin and Frizzled-4, a high-affinity ligand-receptor pair. Cell. 2004;116:883-95 pubmed..These data define a Norrin-Fz4 signaling system that plays a central role in vascular development in the eye and ear, and they indicate that ligands unrelated to Wnts can act through Fz receptors. ..
- Vogel P, Read R, Hansen G, Payne B, Small D, Sands A, et al. Congenital hydrocephalus in genetically engineered mice. Vet Pathol. 2012;49:166-81 pubmed publisher..The likely underlying cause in the remaining 4 lines (RIKEN 4930444A02, Celsr2, Mboat7, and transgenic FZD3) was not determined, but it is possible that some of these could also have ciliary defects...
- Hua Z, Chang H, Wang Y, Smallwood P, Nathans J. Partial interchangeability of Fz3 and Fz6 in tissue polarity signaling for epithelial orientation and axon growth and guidance. Development. 2014;141:3944-54 pubmed publisher..deeply the mechanistic similarities between different polarity processes, we have determined the extent to which frizzled 3 (Fz3) can rescue the hair follicle and Merkel cell polarity defects in frizzled 6-null (Fz6(-/-)) mice, and, ..
- Wang W, Jossin Y, Chai G, Lien W, Tissir F, Goffinet A. Feedback regulation of apical progenitor fate by immature neurons through Wnt7-Celsr3-Fzd3 signalling. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10936 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that neurogenesis is protracted and gliogenesis decreased in mice with mutations of genes Celsr3 and Fzd3. This phenotype is not due to gene inactivation in progenitors, but rather in immature cortical neurons...
- Wang L, Shangguan S, Chang S, Wang Z, Lu X, Wu L, et al. Impaired methylation modifications of FZD3 alter chromatin accessibility and are involved in congenital hydrocephalus pathogenesis. Brain Res. 2014;1569:48-56 pubmed publisher..b>Frizzled 3(FZD3) is a planar cell polarity (PCP) gene required for PCP signaling...
- Matsuyama M, Aizawa S, Shimono A. Sfrp controls apicobasal polarity and oriented cell division in developing gut epithelium. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000427 pubmed publisher..We propose that Sfrp regulation of Wnt5a signaling controls oriented cell division and apicobasal polarity in the epithelium of developing gut. ..
- Reddy S, Andl T, Lu M, Morrisey E, Millar S. Expression of Frizzled genes in developing and postnatal hair follicles. J Invest Dermatol. 2004;123:275-82 pubmed
- Hua Z, Jeon S, Caterina M, Nathans J. Frizzled3 is required for the development of multiple axon tracts in the mouse central nervous system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E3005-14 pubmed publisherTargeted mutation of the Frizzled3 (Fz3) gene in mice has been shown to disrupt the growth and guidance of a subset of peripheral and central axons...
- Sarkar L, Sharpe P. Expression of Wnt signalling pathway genes during tooth development. Mech Dev. 1999;85:197-200 pubmed..Wnt-5a and MFrzb1 show strong expression in the dental papilla mesenchyme. ..