Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Fth1
Description: ferritin heavy polypeptide 1
Alias: FHC, Fth, HFt, MFH, ferritin heavy chain, H-ferritin, ferritin H subunit, ferritin heavy chain 1
- Ferreira C, Santambrogio P, Martin M, Andrieu V, Feldmann G, Henin D, et al. H ferritin knockout mice: a model of hyperferritinemia in the absence of iron overload. Blood. 2001;98:525-32 pubmed..It has previously been shown that H ferritin is indispensable for normal development, since inactivation of the H ferritin gene by homologous recombination ..
- Moroishi T, Nishiyama M, Takeda Y, Iwai K, Nakayama K. The FBXL5-IRP2 axis is integral to control of iron metabolism in vivo. Cell Metab. 2011;14:339-51 pubmed publisher..The liver-specific mutant mice died with acute liver failure when fed a high-iron diet. Thus, our results uncover a major role for FBXL5 in ensuring an appropriate supply of iron to cells. ..
- Rathkolb B, Klempt M, Sabrautzki S, Michel D, Klaften M, Laufs J, et al. Screen for alterations of iron related parameters in N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea-treated mice identified mutant lines with increased plasma ferritin levels. Biometals. 2015;28:293-306 pubmed publisher..Thus, novel mouse models for the functional analysis of iron homeostasis were established by a phenotype-driven screen for mutant mice. ..
- Picard E, Ranchon Cole I, Jonet L, Beaumont C, Behar Cohen F, Courtois Y, et al. Light-induced retinal degeneration correlates with changes in iron metabolism gene expression, ferritin level, and aging. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:1261-74 pubmed publisher..iron, in regulating the thickness of the photoreceptor nuclear layer in the 4- and 16-month-old wild-type H ferritin (HFt(+/+)) and heterozygous H ferritin (HFt(+/-)) mice was investigated, before and 12 days after exposure to 13,..
- Fan H, Villegas C, Wright J. A link between ferritin gene expression and ribonucleotide reductase R2 protein, as demonstrated by retroviral vector mediated stable expression of R2 cDNA. FEBS Lett. 1996;382:145-8 pubmed..Furthermore, a direct link between ferritin gene expression and R2 protein was observed, since cells containing vector expressed recombinant R2 protein exhibited increased H-chain and L-chain ferritin gene expression. ..
- Tsuji Y, Moran E, Torti S, Torti F. Transcriptional regulation of the mouse ferritin H gene. Involvement of p300/CBP adaptor proteins in FER-1 enhancer activity. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:7501-7 pubmed..Recruitment of these broadly active transcriptional adaptor proteins for ferritin H synthesis may represent an important mechanism by which changes in iron metabolism are coordinated with other cellular responses mediated by p300/CBP. ..
- Fernandes M, Lespinasse F, Rotomondo F, Poirier C, Guenet J, Gaudray P, et al. Comparative mapping of two adjacent regions of MMU19 with their human counterpart on HSA11q13. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1998;81:237-46 pubmed..5-Mb region. Strikingly, the 0.5-Mb region has a similar size in human but gene order is shuffled. The overall comparative map shows that these two regions are inverted on MMU19 when compared with HSA11q13. ..
- Li W, Garringer H, GOODWIN C, Richine B, Acton A, Vanduyn N, et al. Systemic and cerebral iron homeostasis in ferritin knock-out mice. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0117435 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that expression of the H subunit can rescue the loss of the L subunit and that H ferritin homopolymers have the capacity to sequester iron in vivo...
- Roghani A, Welch C, Xia Y, Liu Y, Peter D, Finn J, et al. Assignment of the mouse vesicular monoamine transporter genes, Slc18a1 and Slc18a2, to chromosomes 8 and 19 by linkage analysis. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:393-4 pubmed
- Szepetowski P, Simon M, Grosgeorge J, Huebner K, Bastard C, Evans G, et al. Localization of 11q13 loci with respect to regional chromosomal breakpoints. Genomics. 1992;12:738-44 pubmed
- Kaur D, Rajagopalan S, Chinta S, Kumar J, Di Monte D, Cherny R, et al. Chronic ferritin expression within murine dopaminergic midbrain neurons results in a progressive age-related neurodegeneration. Brain Res. 2007;1140:188-94 pubmed..This provides strong evidence that chronic ferritin overload could be directly involved in age-related neurodegeneration such as occurs in Parkinson's and other related diseases. ..
- Tsuji Y, Torti S, Torti F. Activation of the ferritin H enhancer, FER-1, by the cooperative action of members of the AP1 and Sp1 transcription factor families. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:2984-92 pubmed
- Gerard B, Farman N, Raja K, Eugene E, Grandchamp B, Beaumont C. Expression of H and L ferritin mRNAs in mouse small intestine. Exp Cell Res. 1996;228:8-13 pubmed..The results show that in duodenal cells, the level of H ferritin mRNA is higher than the L ferritin level (H/L ratio of about 5)...
- Schweizer C, Fraering P, Kühn L. Ferritin H gene deletion in the choroid plexus and forebrain results in hydrocephalus. Neurochem Int. 2014;71:17-21 pubmed publisher..Ferritin H deficiency in most cells of the forebrain including cells of the choroid plexus caused accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in the lateral ventricles and the subarachnoid space. Brain tissue iron content was unchanged. ..
- Wu W, Chang S, Wu Q, Xu Z, Wang P, Li Y, et al. Mitochondrial ferritin protects the murine myocardium from acute exhaustive exercise injury. Cell Death Dis. 2016;7:e2475 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results show that the absence of FtMt, which is highly expressed in the heart, increases the sensitivity of mitochondria to cardiac injury via oxidative stress. ..
- Rucker P, Torti F, Torti S. Role of H and L subunits in mouse ferritin. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:33352-7 pubmed..These findings suggest a novel functional role for carboxyl-terminal domains of the ferritin H subunit.
- Todorich B, Zhang X, Connor J. H-ferritin is the major source of iron for oligodendrocytes. Glia. 2011;59:927-35 pubmed publisher..Given that ferritin receptors, but not transferrin receptors can be demonstrated on oligodendrocytes in vivo, the delivery of iron to oligodendrocytes via ferritin may be the more biological relevant delivery system. ..
- Yachou A, Mattei M, Roeckel N, Grandchamp B, Beaumont C. Mouse ferritin H sequences map to chromosomes 3, 6, and 19. Genomics. 1991;9:204-6 pubmed..We have isolated a cDNA corresponding to mouse ferritin H subunit and observed that the mouse genome contains three to four H-related sequences...
- Yachou A, Renaudie F, Guenet J, Simon Chazottes D, Jones R, Grandchamp B, et al. Mouse ferritin H multigene family is polymorphic and contains a single multiallelic functional gene located on chromosome 19. Genomics. 1991;10:531-8 pubmedMultiple ferritin H subunit sequences are present in the genome of higher vertebrates, but it is not yet known with certainty if more than one is expressed...
- Torti S, Kwak E, Miller S, Miller L, Ringold G, Myambo K, et al. The molecular cloning and characterization of murine ferritin heavy chain, a tumor necrosis factor-inducible gene. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:12638-44 pubmed..We have identified and sequenced a full-length cDNA for murine ferritin heavy chain. The isolated cDNA is 819 nucleotides in length...
- Liu Z, Velpula K, Devireddy L. 3-Hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase-2 and ferritin-H synergistically regulate intracellular iron. FEBS J. 2014;281:2410-21 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that the siderophore and ferritin synergistically regulate cellular iron levels. ..
- Kistler M, Even A, Wagner S, Becker C, Darshan D, Vanoaica L, et al. 59Fe-distribution in conditional ferritin-H-deleted mice. Exp Hematol. 2014;42:59-69 pubmed publisher..of intravenously injected (59)Fe trace amounts were compared in iron-deficient and iron-replete mice with (Fth(?/?)) and without (Fth(lox/lox)) conditional Mx-Cre-induced ferritin-H deletion...
- Kaestner K, Schutz G, Monaghan A. Expression of the winged helix genes fkh-4 and fkh-5 defines domains in the central nervous system. Mech Dev. 1996;55:221-30 pubmed..5 centiMorgans (cM) and fkh-4 to chromosome 19 at 10.5 cM. The potential relationship of the two genes to the mouse mutations staggerer and small thymus (for fkh-5) and muscle deficient (for fkh-4) is discussed. ..
- Zarjou A, Bolisetty S, Joseph R, Traylor A, Apostolov E, Arosio P, et al. Proximal tubule H-ferritin mediates iron trafficking in acute kidney injury. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:4423-34 pubmed publisher..The ferritin heavy chain (FtH) has ferroxidase activity that is required for iron incorporation and limiting toxicity...
- Casteels D, Poirier C, Guenet J, Merregaert J. The mouse Fau gene: genomic structure, chromosomal localization, and characterization of two retropseudogenes. Genomics. 1995;25:291-4 pubmed..Fau-prs is interrupted by an AG-rich region of about 350 bp within the S30 region of the Fau cDNA. Fau-ps1 was localized on chromosome 1 and Fau-ps2 on chromosome 7. ..
- Yoder J, Litman G. The zebrafish fth1, slc3a2, men1, pc, fgf3 and cycd1 genes define two regions of conserved synteny between linkage group 7 and human chromosome 11q13. Gene. 2000;261:235-42 pubmed..In an effort to further define this relationship, five full-length zebrafish cDNAs, fth1, slc3a2, prkri, cd81, and pc, as well as one putative human gene, DBX were identified and their map positions ..
- Beaumont C, Torti S, Torti F, Massover W. Novel properties of L-type polypeptide subunits in mouse ferritin molecules. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:7923-6 pubmed
- Glaser T, Matthews K, Hudson J, Seth P, Housman D, Crerar M. Localization of the muscle, liver, and brain glycogen phosphorylase genes on linkage maps of mouse chromosomes 19, 12, and 2, respectively. Genomics. 1989;5:510-21 pubmed..However, muscle phosphorylase gene structure and expression appear to be unaltered in mdf/mdf mice, indicating that this mutation is not an animal model for the human genetic disorder McArdle's disease. ..
- Santos J, Cole Y, Pellicer A. Phylogenetic relationships among laboratory and wild-origin Mus musculus strains on the basis of genomic DNA RFLPs. Mamm Genome. 1993;4:485-92 pubmed..Natural. 106,283, 1972) and unbiased minimum (Genetics 89,583, 1978), Edwards (Biometrics 27,873, 1971; Genetic Distance, p. 41, 1974) and Rogers modified (1986). ..
- Han J, Seaman W, Di X, Wang W, Willingham M, Torti F, et al. Iron uptake mediated by binding of H-ferritin to the TIM-2 receptor in mouse cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23800 pubmed publisher..TIM-2 is a specific receptor for H ferritin (HFt) in the mouse...
- Snyder A, Neely E, Levi S, Arosio P, Connor J. Regional and cellular distribution of mitochondrial ferritin in the mouse brain. J Neurosci Res. 2010;88:3133-43 pubmed publisher..Given the importance and relationship between iron and mitochondrial activity, understanding the role of mitochondrial ferritin can be expected to contribute to our knowledge of mitochondrial dysfunction and neurodegenerative disease. ..
- Takai S, Kozak C, Kitamura K, Takeda A. Assignment of the CD45-AP gene to the centromeric end of mouse chromosome 19 and human chromosome 11q13.1-q13.3. Genomics. 1996;38:429-31 pubmed..The CD45-AP gene mapped to the centromeric region of Chr 19 proximal to the genes Fth, Cd5, and Pcna-rs. The gene for the human CD45-AP homologue, PTPRCAP, was localized to chromosome band 11q13.1-q13...
- Miyazaki Y, Setoguchi M, Higuchi Y, Yoshida S, Akizuki S, Yamamoto S. Nucleotide sequence of cDNA encoding the heavy subunit of mouse macrophage ferritin. Nucleic Acids Res. 1988;16:10373 pubmed
- Welch C, Xia Y, Edwards P, Lusis A, Ericsson J. Assignment of Gpam to distal mouse chromosome 19 by linkage analysis. Mamm Genome. 1998;9:93 pubmed
- Omiya S, Hikoso S, Imanishi Y, Saito A, Yamaguchi O, Takeda T, et al. Downregulation of ferritin heavy chain increases labile iron pool, oxidative stress and cell death in cardiomyocytes. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2009;46:59-66 pubmed publisherb>Ferritin heavy chain (FHC) protein was significantly reduced in murine failing hearts following left coronary ligation or thoracic transverse aortic constriction...
- Dutra F, Alves L, Rodrigues D, Fernandez P, de Oliveira R, Golenbock D, et al. Hemolysis-induced lethality involves inflammasome activation by heme. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E4110-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, understanding the molecular pathways affected by heme in innate immune cells might prove useful to identify new therapeutic targets for diseases that have heme release. ..
- Wilkinson J, Di X, Schonig K, Buss J, Kock N, Cline J, et al. Tissue-specific expression of ferritin H regulates cellular iron homoeostasis in vivo. Biochem J. 2006;395:501-7 pubmed..These results demonstrate that FerH not only responds to changes in tissue iron (its classic role), but can actively regulate overall tissue iron balance. ..
- Rochelle J, Watson M, Oakey R, Seldin M. A linkage map of mouse chromosome 19: definition of comparative mapping relationships with human chromosomes 10 and 11 including the MEN1 locus. Genomics. 1992;14:26-31 pubmed
- Jeong S, Crooks D, Wilson Ollivierre H, Ghosh M, Sougrat R, Lee J, et al. Iron insufficiency compromises motor neurons and their mitochondrial function in Irp2-null mice. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25404 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that functional iron deficiency may constitute a previously unrecognized molecular basis for degeneration of motor neurons in mice. ..
- Yachou A, Renaudie F, Grandchamp B, Beaumont C. Nucleotide sequence of the mouse ferritin H chain gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 1989;17:8005 pubmed
- Pietsch E, Chan J, Torti F, Torti S. Nrf2 mediates the induction of ferritin H in response to xenobiotics and cancer chemopreventive dithiolethiones. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:2361-9 pubmed..Nrf2 may also play a role in basal transcription of both ferritin H and L. These results provide a mechanistic link between regulation of the iron storage protein ferritin and the cancer chemopreventive response. ..
- Arosio P, Elia L, Poli M. Ferritin, cellular iron storage and regulation. IUBMB Life. 2017;69:414-422 pubmed publisher..2017 IUBMB Life, 69(6):414-422, 2017. ..
- Tsuji Y, Akebi N, Lam T, Nakabeppu Y, Torti S, Torti F. FER-1, an enhancer of the ferritin H gene and a target of E1A-mediated transcriptional repression. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:5152-64 pubmed..Taken together, these results demonstrate that FER-1 serves as both an enhancer of ferritin H transcription and a target for E1A-mediated repression. ..
- Vanoaica L, Darshan D, Richman L, Schümann K, Kühn L. Intestinal ferritin H is required for an accurate control of iron absorption. Cell Metab. 2010;12:273-82 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that hepcidin-mediated regulation alone is insufficient to restrict iron absorption and that intestinal ferritin H is also required to limit iron efflux from intestinal cells. ..
- Arosio P, Carmona F, Gozzelino R, Maccarinelli F, Poli M. The importance of eukaryotic ferritins in iron handling and cytoprotection. Biochem J. 2015;472:1-15 pubmed publisher..Less clear are the properties of the secretory ferritins expressed by insects and molluscs, which may be important for understanding the role played by serum ferritin in mammals. ..
- Cohen L, Gutierrez L, Weiss A, Leichtmann Bardoogo Y, Zhang D, Crooks D, et al. Serum ferritin is derived primarily from macrophages through a nonclassical secretory pathway. Blood. 2010;116:1574-84 pubmed publisher..Taken together with the fact that mouse serum ferritin is not detectably glycosylated, we propose that mouse serum ferritin is secreted through the nonclassical lysosomal secretory pathway. ..
- Dowdle W, Nyfeler B, Nagel J, Elling R, Liu S, Triantafellow E, et al. Selective VPS34 inhibitor blocks autophagy and uncovers a role for NCOA4 in ferritin degradation and iron homeostasis in vivo. Nat Cell Biol. 2014;16:1069-79 pubmed publisher..NCOA4 directly binds ferritin heavy chain-1 (FTH1) to target the iron-binding ferritin complex with a relative molecular mass of 450,000 to ..
- Tao Y, Wu Q, Guo X, Zhang Z, Shen Y, Wang F. MBD5 regulates iron metabolism via methylation-independent genomic targeting of Fth1 through KAT2A in mice. Br J Haematol. 2014;166:279-91 pubmed publisher..The ferritin subunits ferritin heavy chain (Fth1) and ferritin light chain (Ftl1) are tightly regulated at both the transcriptional and post-..
- Weis S, Carlos A, Moita M, Singh S, Blankenhaus B, Cardoso S, et al. Metabolic Adaptation Establishes Disease Tolerance to Sepsis. Cell. 2017;169:1263-1275.e14 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate that induction of the iron-sequestering ferritin H chain (FTH) in response to polymicrobial infections is critical to establish disease tolerance to sepsis...
- Gozzelino R, Andrade B, Larsen R, Luz N, Vanoaica L, Seixas E, et al. Metabolic adaptation to tissue iron overload confers tolerance to malaria. Cell Host Microbe. 2012;12:693-704 pubmed publisher..disease caused by Plasmodium infection, we find that expression of the Fe sequestering protein ferritin H chain (FtH) in mice, and ferritin in humans, is associated with reduced tissue damage irrespectively of pathogen burden...
- Baron B, Poirier C, Simon Chazottes D, Barnier C, Guenet J. A new strategy useful for rapid identification of microsatellites from DNA libraries with large size inserts. Nucleic Acids Res. 1992;20:3665-9 pubmed..Primers were designed for each of them and polymorphism between the genomes of several inbred strain of mouse have been determined. These microsatellites were mapped, three of them to chromosome 19 and two to chromosome 11. ..
- Dickinson T, Connor J. Cellular distribution of iron, transferrin, and ferritin in the hypotransferrinemic (Hp) mouse brain. J Comp Neurol. 1995;355:67-80 pubmed
- Inoue T, Sugiyama D, Kurita R, Oikawa T, Kulkeaw K, Kawano H, et al. APOA-1 is a novel marker of erythroid cell maturation from hematopoietic stem cells in mice and humans. Stem Cell Rev. 2011;7:43-52 pubmed publisher..Moreover, APOA-1 gene expression was detected in mature erythroid cells from human peripheral blood. We conclude that APOA-1 is a novel marker of the terminal erythroid maturation of hematopoietic stem cells in both mice and humans. ..
- Kwak E, Torti S, Torti F. Murine ferritin heavy chain: isolation and characterization of a functional gene. Gene. 1990;94:255-61 pubmedA mouse liver genomic library screened with a full-length cDNA encoding murine ferritin heavy chain (mFHC) [Torti et al., J. Biol. Chem. 263 (1988) 12638-12644] yielded a functional genomic clone mFHC...
- Wu C, Groenink M, Bosma A, Reitsma P, van Deventer S, Chamuleau R. Rat ferritin-H: cDNA cloning, differential expression and localization during hepatocarcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis. 1997;18:47-52 pubmed
- Vanoaica L, Richman L, Jaworski M, Darshan D, Luther S, Kühn L. Conditional deletion of ferritin h in mice reduces B and T lymphocyte populations. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e89270 pubmed publisher..The findings were confirmed by a B-cell specific deletion using Fth(lox/lox) ; CD19-Cre mice...
- Mintz L, Galperin E, Pasmanik Chor M, Tulzinsky S, Bromberg Y, Kozak C, et al. EHD1--an EH-domain-containing protein with a specific expression pattern. Genomics. 1999;59:66-76 pubmed..The EHD1 gene is highly conserved between nematode, Drosophila, mouse, and human. Its predicted protein structure and cellular localization point to the possibility that EHD1 participates in ligand-induced endocytosis. ..
- Silva Gomes S, Bouton C, Silva T, Santambrogio P, Rodrigues P, Appelberg R, et al. Mycobacterium avium infection induces H-ferritin expression in mouse primary macrophages by activating Toll-like receptor 2. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e82874 pubmed publisher..The formation of H-rich ferritin proteins and the consequent iron sequestration may be an important part of the panoply of antimicrobial mechanisms of macrophages. ..
- Lee D, Lee D, Zhou L, Zhou L, Zhou Z, Xie J, et al. Neogenin inhibits HJV secretion and regulates BMP-induced hepcidin expression and iron homeostasis. Blood. 2010;115:3136-45 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a novel mechanism underlying neogenin regulation of HJV-BMP signaling...
- Dewitz C, Möller Hackbarth K, Schweigert O, Reiss K, Chalaris A, Scheller J, et al. T-cell immunoglobulin and mucin domain 2 (TIM-2) is a target of ADAM10-mediated ectodomain shedding. FEBS J. 2014;281:157-74 pubmed publisher..Shed and soluble TIM-2 interacted with H-ferritin. In summary, we describe TIM-2 as a novel target for ADAM10-mediated ectodomain shedding, and reveal the involvement of ADAM proteases in cellular iron homeostasis. ..
- Morello N, Tonoli E, Logrand F, Fiorito V, Fagoonee S, Turco E, et al. Haemopexin affects iron distribution and ferritin expression in mouse brain. J Cell Mol Med. 2009;13:4192-204 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Hx plays an important role in controlling iron distribution within brain, thus suggesting its involvement in iron-related neurodegenerative diseases. ..