Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Foxp2
Description: forkhead box P2
Alias: 2810043D05Rik, AI449000, CAG-16, D0Kist7, forkhead box protein P2
- Feng Y, Walsh C. Mitotic spindle regulation by Nde1 controls cerebral cortical size. Neuron. 2004;44:279-93 pubmed..Our data show that mitotic spindle function and orientation are essential for normal development of mammalian cerebral cortex. ..
- Shu W, Yang H, Zhang L, Lu M, Morrisey E. Characterization of a new subfamily of winged-helix/forkhead (Fox) genes that are expressed in the lung and act as transcriptional repressors. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:27488-97 pubmed..In this report, we have identified and characterized two members of this Fox gene family, Foxp1 and Foxp2, and show that they comprise a new subfamily of Fox genes expressed in the lung...
- Enard W, Gehre S, Hammerschmidt K, Holter S, Blass T, Somel M, et al. A humanized version of Foxp2 affects cortico-basal ganglia circuits in mice. Cell. 2009;137:961-71 pubmed publisherIt has been proposed that two amino acid substitutions in the transcription factor FOXP2 have been positively selected during human evolution due to effects on aspects of speech and language...
- Reimers Kipping S, Hevers W, Paabo S, Enard W. Humanized Foxp2 specifically affects cortico-basal ganglia circuits. Neuroscience. 2011;175:75-84 pubmed publisherIt has been proposed that two amino acid substitutions in the transcription factor FOXP2 have been positively selected during human evolution and influence aspects of speech and language...
- Fischer J, Hammerschmidt K. Ultrasonic vocalizations in mouse models for speech and socio-cognitive disorders: insights into the evolution of vocal communication. Genes Brain Behav. 2011;10:17-27 pubmed publisher..addressed the genetic basis of usage and structure of ultrasonic communication in mice, with a focus on the gene FOXP2 involved in specific language impairments and neuroligin genes (NL-3 and NL-4) involved in autism spectrum ..
- Lai C, Gerrelli D, Monaco A, Fisher S, Copp A. FOXP2 expression during brain development coincides with adult sites of pathology in a severe speech and language disorder. Brain. 2003;126:2455-62 pubmedDisruption of FOXP2, a gene encoding a forkhead-domain transcription factor, causes a severe developmental disorder of verbal communication, involving profound articulation deficits, accompanied by linguistic and grammatical impairments...
- Sessa A, Mao C, Hadjantonakis A, Klein W, Broccoli V. Tbr2 directs conversion of radial glia into basal precursors and guides neuronal amplification by indirect neurogenesis in the developing neocortex. Neuron. 2008;60:56-69 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings identify Tbr2 as a critical factor for the specification of IPCs during corticogenesis. ..
- Fisher S, Scharff C. FOXP2 as a molecular window into speech and language. Trends Genet. 2009;25:166-77 pubmed publisherRare mutations of the FOXP2 transcription factor gene cause a monogenic syndrome characterized by impaired speech development and linguistic deficits...
- Postiglione M, Jüschke C, Xie Y, Haas G, Charalambous C, Knoblich J. Mouse inscuteable induces apical-basal spindle orientation to facilitate intermediate progenitor generation in the developing neocortex. Neuron. 2011;72:269-84 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the orientation of progenitor cell divisions is important for correct lineage specification in the developing mammalian brain. ..
- Ferland R, Cherry T, Preware P, Morrisey E, Walsh C. Characterization of Foxp2 and Foxp1 mRNA and protein in the developing and mature brain. J Comp Neurol. 2003;460:266-79 pubmedb>Foxp2 and Foxp1 are recently identified members of the Fox family of winged-helix/forkhead transcription factor genes. A recent study has found that mutations in human FOXP2 produce a severe language disorder...
- French C, Groszer M, Preece C, Coupe A, Rajewsky K, Fisher S. Generation of mice with a conditional Foxp2 null allele. Genesis. 2007;45:440-6 pubmedDisruptions of the human FOXP2 gene cause problems with articulation of complex speech sounds, accompanied by impairment in many aspects of language ability...
- Rousso D, Pearson C, Gaber Z, Miquelajauregui A, Li S, Portera Cailliau C, et al. Foxp-mediated suppression of N-cadherin regulates neuroepithelial character and progenitor maintenance in the CNS. Neuron. 2012;74:314-30 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate that two Forkhead transcription factors, Foxp2 and Foxp4, are progressively expressed upon neural differentiation in the spinal cord...
- Franco S, Gil Sanz C, Martinez Garay I, Espinosa A, Harkins Perry S, Ramos C, et al. Fate-restricted neural progenitors in the mammalian cerebral cortex. Science. 2012;337:746-9 pubmed publisher..Because upper cortical layers were expanded during primate evolution, amplification of this RGC pool may have facilitated human brain evolution. ..
- Fujita E, Tanabe Y, Shiota A, Ueda M, Suwa K, Momoi M, et al. Ultrasonic vocalization impairment of Foxp2 (R552H) knockin mice related to speech-language disorder and abnormality of Purkinje cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:3117-22 pubmed publisherPrevious studies have demonstrated that mutation in the forkhead domain of the forkhead box P2 (FOXP2) protein (R553H) causes speech-language disorders...
- Enard W, Przeworski M, Fisher S, Lai C, Wiebe V, Kitano T, et al. Molecular evolution of FOXP2, a gene involved in speech and language. Nature. 2002;418:869-72 pubmed publisher..b>FOXP2 is the first gene relevant to the human ability to develop language...
- Li S, Weidenfeld J, Morrisey E. Transcriptional and DNA binding activity of the Foxp1/2/4 family is modulated by heterotypic and homotypic protein interactions. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:809-22 pubmedFoxp1, Foxp2, and Foxp4 are large multidomain transcriptional regulators belonging to the family of winged-helix DNA binding proteins known as the Fox family...
- Shu W, Cho J, Jiang Y, Zhang M, Weisz D, Elder G, et al. Altered ultrasonic vocalization in mice with a disruption in the Foxp2 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:9643-8 pubmed..The gene responsible for the phenotype was mapped to chromosome 7q31 and identified as the FOXP2 gene, coding for a transcription factor containing a polyglutamine tract and a forkhead DNA-binding domain...
- Vernes S, Oliver P, Spiteri E, Lockstone H, Puliyadi R, Taylor J, et al. Foxp2 regulates gene networks implicated in neurite outgrowth in the developing brain. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002145 pubmed publisher..Heterozygous mutations of the human FOXP2 gene cause a monogenic speech and language disorder...
- Pulvers J, Huttner W. Brca1 is required for embryonic development of the mouse cerebral cortex to normal size by preventing apoptosis of early neural progenitors. Development. 2009;136:1859-68 pubmed publisher..Our results show that Brca1 is required for the cerebral cortex to develop to normal size by preventing the apoptosis of early cortical progenitors and their immediate progeny. ..
- Sottocornola R, Royer C, Vives V, Tordella L, Zhong S, Wang Y, et al. ASPP2 binds Par-3 and controls the polarity and proliferation of neural progenitors during CNS development. Dev Cell. 2010;19:126-37 pubmed publisher..These results identify ASPP2 as a regulator of Par-3, which plays a key role in controlling cell proliferation, polarity, and tissue organization during CNS development. ..
- Dodson P, Larvin J, Duffell J, Garas F, Doig N, Kessaris N, et al. Distinct developmental origins manifest in the specialized encoding of movement by adult neurons of the external globus pallidus. Neuron. 2015;86:501-13 pubmed publisher..arkypallidal GPe neurons originate from lateral/caudal ganglionic eminences, express the transcription factor FoxP2, fire at low rates during rest, and encode movements with robust increases in firing...
- Fujita Jimbo E, Momoi T. Specific expression of FOXP2 in cerebellum improves ultrasonic vocalization in heterozygous but not in homozygous Foxp2 (R552H) knock-in pups. Neurosci Lett. 2014;566:162-6 pubmed publisherThe R553H mutation has been found in the FOXP2 gene of patients with speech-language disorder...
- Kim S, Shon B, Kang J, Hahm K, Yoo O, Park Y, et al. Cloning of novel trinucleotide-repeat (CAG) containing genes in mouse brain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;240:239-43 pubmed..All the 8 clones were originated from mouse DNA as judged by Southern blot analysis of mouse genomic DNA. The expression of the clones in mouse brain was addressed by RT-PCR and 4 clones showed specific expression. ..
- Yang Z, Hikosaka K, Sharkar M, Tamakoshi T, Chandra A, Wang B, et al. The mouse forkhead gene Foxp2 modulates expression of the lung genes. Life Sci. 2010;87:17-25 pubmed publisherb>Foxp2 is expressed in the lung during mouse development. A monoclonal anti-mouse Foxp2 antibody was created to determine the expression pattern in the developing lung...
- Mandai K, Reimert D, Ginty D. Linx mediates interaxonal interactions and formation of the internal capsule. Neuron. 2014;83:93-103 pubmed publisher..Thus, Linx guides the extension of thalamocortical axons in the ventral forebrain, and subsequently, it mediates reciprocal interactions between thalamocortical and corticofugal axons to form the IC. ..
- Stottmann R, Donlin M, Hafner A, Bernard A, Sinclair D, Beier D. A mutation in Tubb2b, a human polymicrogyria gene, leads to lethality and abnormal cortical development in the mouse. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:4053-63 pubmed publisher..This allele of Tubb2b represents the most severely affected mouse tubulin phenotype reported to date and this is the first report of a tubulin mutation affecting neuronal proliferation and survival. ..
- Insolera R, Bazzi H, Shao W, Anderson K, Shi S. Cortical neurogenesis in the absence of centrioles. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:1528-35 pubmed publisher..Our findings define the functions of centrioles in anchoring RGPs in the VZ and ensuring their efficient mitoses, and reveal the robust adaptability of RGPs in the developing cortex. ..
- Chiu Y, Li M, Liu Y, Ding J, Yu J, Wang T. Foxp2 regulates neuronal differentiation and neuronal subtype specification. Dev Neurobiol. 2014;74:723-38 pubmed publisherMutations of the transcription factor FOXP2 in humans cause a severe speech and language disorder. Disruption of Foxp2 in songbirds or mice also leads to deficits in song learning or ultrasonic vocalization, respectively...
- Hoerder Suabedissen A, Wang W, Lee S, Davies K, Goffinet A, RakiÄ‡ S, et al. Novel markers reveal subpopulations of subplate neurons in the murine cerebral cortex. Cereb Cortex. 2009;19:1738-50 pubmed publisher..These new markers open up possibilities for further identification of subplate subpopulations in research and in neuropathological diagnosis. ..
- Ishikawa T, Gotoh N, Murayama C, Abe T, Iwashita M, Matsuzaki F, et al. IgSF molecule MDGA1 is involved in radial migration and positioning of a subset of cortical upper-layer neurons. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:96-107 pubmed publisher..These observations indicated that Mdga1 is involved in the migration and positioning of a subset of cortical neurons and suggested that the radial migration of upper-layer neurons might be differentially regulated. ..
- Skidmore J, Cramer J, Martin J, Martin D. Cre fate mapping reveals lineage specific defects in neuronal migration with loss of Pitx2 function in the developing mouse hypothalamus and subthalamic nucleus. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:696-707 pubmed publisher..arrested in Pitx2(cre/null) embryos, and subclasses of subthalamic nucleus neurons identified by Lmx1b, Foxp1, and Foxp2-gene expression revealed differing sensitivities to Pitx2 dosage...
- Horng S, Kreiman G, Ellsworth C, Page D, Blank M, Millen K, et al. Differential gene expression in the developing lateral geniculate nucleus and medial geniculate nucleus reveals novel roles for Zic4 and Foxp2 in visual and auditory pathway development. J Neurosci. 2009;29:13672-83 pubmed publisher..b>Foxp2, a transcriptional repressor expressed strongly in the MGN, was found to be positively regulated by activity in ..
- HernÃ¡ndez Miranda L, Cariboni A, Faux C, Ruhrberg C, Cho J, Cloutier J, et al. Robo1 regulates semaphorin signaling to guide the migration of cortical interneurons through the ventral forebrain. J Neurosci. 2011;31:6174-87 pubmed publisher..Thus, we show for the first time that Robo1 interacts with Nrp1 to modulate semaphorin signaling in the developing forebrain and direct the migration of interneurons through the subpallium and into the cortex. ..
- Dominici C, Moreno Bravo J, Puiggros S, Rappeneau Q, Rama N, Vieugué P, et al. Floor-plate-derived netrin-1 is dispensable for commissural axon guidance. Nature. 2017;545:350-354 pubmed publisher..These results show that the classical view that attraction of commissural axons is mediated by a gradient of floor-plate-derived netrin-1 is inaccurate and that netrin-1 primarily acts locally by promoting growth cone adhesion. ..
- Leone D, Heavner W, Ferenczi E, Dobreva G, Huguenard J, Grosschedl R, et al. Satb2 Regulates the Differentiation of Both Callosal and Subcerebral Projection Neurons in the Developing Cerebral Cortex. Cereb Cortex. 2015;25:3406-19 pubmed publisher..Collectively these data show that Satb2 is required by both CPNs and SCPNs for proper differentiation and axon pathfinding. ..
- Cappello S, Böhringer C, Bergami M, Conzelmann K, Ghanem A, Tomassy G, et al. A radial glia-specific role of RhoA in double cortex formation. Neuron. 2012;73:911-24 pubmed publisher..These data not only demonstrate that RhoA is largely dispensable for migration in neurons but also showed that defects in radial glial cells, rather than neurons, can be sufficient to produce SBH. ..
- Fujikura K, Setsu T, Tanigaki K, Abe T, Kiyonari H, Terashima T, et al. Kif14 mutation causes severe brain malformation and hypomyelination. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53490 pubmed publisher..The discovery of mammalian models, laggard, has opened up horizons for researchers to add more knowledge regarding the etiology and pathology of brain malformation. ..
- Miesegaes G, Klisch T, Thaller C, Ahmad K, Atkinson R, Zoghbi H. Identification and subclassification of new Atoh1 derived cell populations during mouse spinal cord development. Dev Biol. 2009;327:339-51 pubmed publisher..Altogether we reveal the existence of multiple Atoh1 dependent cell types in the spinal cord, and uncover a novel progenitor domain that arises late in development. ..
- Kurt S, Fisher S, Ehret G. Foxp2 mutations impair auditory-motor association learning. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33130 pubmed publisherHeterozygous mutations of the human FOXP2 transcription factor gene cause the best-described examples of monogenic speech and language disorders...
- Oliver P, Chodroff R, Gosal A, Edwards B, Cheung A, Gomez Rodriguez J, et al. Disruption of Visc-2, a Brain-Expressed Conserved Long Noncoding RNA, Does Not Elicit an Overt Anatomical or Behavioral Phenotype. Cereb Cortex. 2015;25:3572-85 pubmed publisher..A high-throughput knockout program focussing on lncRNAs, similar to that currently underway for protein-coding genes, will be required to establish the distribution of their organismal functions. ..
- Lischinsky J, Sokolowski K, Li P, Esumi S, Kamal Y, Goodrich M, et al. Embryonic transcription factor expression in mice predicts medial amygdala neuronal identity and sex-specific responses to innate behavioral cues. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..the POA is comprised of distinct progenitor pools complementarily marked by the transcription factors Dbx1 and Foxp2. As determined by molecular and electrophysiological criteria this embryonic parcellation predicts postnatal MeA ..
- Cesario J, Landin Malt A, Deacon L, Sandberg M, Vogt D, Tang Z, et al. Lhx6 and Lhx8 promote palate development through negative regulation of a cell cycle inhibitor gene, p57Kip2. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:5024-39 pubmed publisher..This is the first report elucidating a molecular genetic pathway downstream of Lhx in palate development. ..
- del Toro D, Ruff T, Cederfjäll E, Villalba A, Seyit Bremer G, Borrell V, et al. Regulation of Cerebral Cortex Folding by Controlling Neuronal Migration via FLRT Adhesion Molecules. Cell. 2017;169:621-635.e16 pubmed publisher..Notably, FLRT1/3 expression is low in the human cortex and in future sulcus areas of ferrets, suggesting that intercellular adhesion is a key regulator of cortical folding across species. ..
- Favero C, Henshaw R, Grimsley Myers C, Shrestha A, Beier D, Dwyer N. Mutation of the BiP/GRP78 gene causes axon outgrowth and fasciculation defects in the thalamocortical connections of the mammalian forebrain. J Comp Neurol. 2013;521:677-96 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings demonstrate a sensitive requirement for the endoplasmic reticulum chaperone BiP/GRP78 during axon outgrowth and pathfinding in the developing mammalian brain. ..
- Cesario J, Almaidhan A, Jeong J. Expression of forkhead box transcription factor genes Foxp1 and Foxp2 during jaw development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2016;20:111-9 pubmed publisher..of oral development, repressed the expression of the genes encoding forkhead box transcription factors, Foxp1 and Foxp2, in the oral region...
- Sun J, Rockowitz S, Xie Q, Ashery Padan R, Zheng D, Cvekl A. Identification of in vivo DNA-binding mechanisms of Pax6 and reconstruction of Pax6-dependent gene regulatory networks during forebrain and lens development. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:6827-46 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies provide genome-wide analysis of Pax6-dependent GRNs in lens and forebrain and establish novel roles of Pax6 in organogenesis. ..
- Ayub Q, Yngvadottir B, Chen Y, Xue Y, Hu M, Vernes S, et al. FOXP2 targets show evidence of positive selection in European populations. Am J Hum Genet. 2013;92:696-706 pubmed publisherForkhead box P2 (FOXP2) is a highly conserved transcription factor that has been implicated in human speech and language disorders and plays important roles in the plasticity of the developing brain...
- Kraushar M, Viljetić B, Wijeratne H, Thompson K, Jiao X, Pike J, et al. Thalamic WNT3 Secretion Spatiotemporally Regulates the Neocortical Ribosome Signature and mRNA Translation to Specify Neocortical Cell Subtypes. J Neurosci. 2015;35:10911-26 pubmed publisher..Thalamic WNT3 regulates neocortical translation of two such mRNAs, Foxp2 and Apc, to promote FOXP2 expression while inhibiting APC expression, thereby driving neocortical neuronal ..
- Vibulyaseck S, Fujita H, Luo Y, Tran A, Oh Nishi A, Ono Y, et al. Spatial rearrangement of Purkinje cell subsets forms the transverse and longitudinal compartmentalization in the mouse embryonic cerebellum. J Comp Neurol. 2017;525:2971-2990 pubmed publisher..Thus, the rearrangement of Purkinje cell subsets in the embryonic cerebellum is critically related to the compartmental organization in the mammalian cerebellum. ..
- Bruining H, Matsui A, Oguro Ando A, Kahn R, van t Spijker H, Akkermans G, et al. Genetic Mapping in Mice Reveals the Involvement of Pcdh9 in Long-Term Social and Object Recognition and Sensorimotor Development. Biol Psychiatry. 2015;78:485-95 pubmed publisher..This behavior-to-gene study implicates Pcdh9 in cognitive functions required for long-term social and nonsocial recognition. This role is supported by the involvement of Pcdh9 in sensory cortex development and sensorimotor phenotypes. ..
- Tanabe Y, Fujiwara Y, Matsuzaki A, Fujita E, Kasahara T, Yuasa S, et al. Temporal expression and mitochondrial localization of a Foxp2 isoform lacking the forkhead domain in developing Purkinje cells. J Neurochem. 2012;122:72-80 pubmed publisherb>FOXP2, a forkhead box-containing transcription factor, forms homo- or hetero-dimers with FOXP family members and localizes to the nucleus, while FOXP2(R553H), which contains a mutation related to speech/language disorders, features ..
- Chen Y, Kuo H, Bornschein U, Takahashi H, Chen S, Lu K, et al. Foxp2 controls synaptic wiring of corticostriatal circuits and vocal communication by opposing Mef2c. Nat Neurosci. 2016;19:1513-1522 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that in the mouse striatum, the gene Foxp2 negatively interacts with the synapse suppressor gene Mef2c...
- Imamura O, Pages G, Pouyssegur J, Endo S, Takishima K. ERK1 and ERK2 are required for radial glial maintenance and cortical lamination. Genes Cells. 2010;15:1072-88 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate functional overlaps between ERK1 and ERK2 and indicate that extracellular signal-regulated kinase signaling plays a crucial role in cortical development. ..
- Shinmyo Y, Asrafuzzaman Riyadh M, Ahmed G, Bin Naser I, Hossain M, Takebayashi H, et al. Draxin from neocortical neurons controls the guidance of thalamocortical projections into the neocortex. Nat Commun. 2015;6:10232 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that draxin from neocortical neurons controls thalamocortical projections into the neocortex, and that this effect is mediated through the DCC and Neo1 receptors. ..
- Yao J, Guihard P, Wu X, Blázquez Medela A, Spencer M, Jumabay M, et al. Vascular endothelium plays a key role in directing pulmonary epithelial cell differentiation. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:3369-3385 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest that endothelial-epithelial interactions, maintained by MGP, are essential in pulmonary cell differentiation. ..
- Hammerschmidt K, Schreiweis C, Minge C, PÃ¤Ã¤bo S, Fischer J, Enard W. A humanized version of Foxp2 does not affect ultrasonic vocalization in adult mice. Genes Brain Behav. 2015;14:583-90 pubmed publisherThe transcription factor FOXP2 has been linked to severe speech and language impairments in humans...
- Bikoff J, Gabitto M, Rivard A, Drobac E, Machado T, Miri A, et al. Spinal Inhibitory Interneuron Diversity Delineates Variant Motor Microcircuits. Cell. 2016;165:207-219 pubmed publisher..Moreover, V1 diversity indicates that different inhibitory microcircuits exist for motor pools controlling hip, ankle, and foot muscles, revealing a variable circuit architecture for interneurons that control limb movement. ..
- Riyadh M, Shinmyo Y, Ohta K, Tanaka H. Inhibitory effects of draxin on axonal outgrowth and migration of precerebellar neurons. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;449:169-74 pubmed publisher..However, we observed no significant differences in PCN distribution between draxin(-/-) and wild type embryos. Thus, draxin and other axon guidance cues may have redundant roles in PCN migration. ..
- Schnatwinkel C, Niswander L. Nubp1 is required for lung branching morphogenesis and distal progenitor cell survival in mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44871 pubmed publisher..mutants show increased apoptosis accompanied by a loss of the distal progenitor markers Sftpc, Sox9 and Foxp2. In addition, Nubp1 mutation disrupts localization of the polarity protein Par3 and the mitosis relevant protein ..
- Fujita E, Tanabe Y, Imhof B, Momoi M, Momoi T. Cadm1-expressing synapses on Purkinje cell dendrites are involved in mouse ultrasonic vocalization activity. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30151 pubmed publisherb>Foxp2(R552H) knock-in (KI) mouse pups with a mutation related to human speech-language disorders exhibit poor development of cerebellar Purkinje cells and impaired ultrasonic vocalization (USV), a communication tool for mother-offspring ..
- Wu X, Gu X, Han X, Du A, Jiang Y, Zhang X, et al. A novel function for Foxm1 in interkinetic nuclear migration in the developing telencephalon and anxiety-related behavior. J Neurosci. 2014;34:1510-22 pubmed publisher..Moreover, ablation of Foxm1 causes anxiety-related behaviors in adulthood. Thus, this study provides evidence of linkages among the cell cycle regulator Foxm1, INM, and adult behavior. ..
- Wijchers P, Hoekman M, Burbach J, Smidt M. Identification of forkhead transcription factors in cortical and dopaminergic areas of the adult murine brain. Brain Res. 2006;1068:23-33 pubmed..These forkhead transcription factors may play a role in maintenance and survival of developing and adult neurons. ..
- White S, Fisher S, Geschwind D, Scharff C, Holy T. Singing mice, songbirds, and more: models for FOXP2 function and dysfunction in human speech and language. J Neurosci. 2006;26:10376-9 pubmedIn 2001, a point mutation in the forkhead box P2 (FOXP2) coding sequence was identified as the basis of an inherited speech and language disorder suffered by members of the family known as "KE...
- Renier N, Wu Z, Simon D, Yang J, Ariel P, Tessier Lavigne M. iDISCO: a simple, rapid method to immunolabel large tissue samples for volume imaging. Cell. 2014;159:896-910 pubmed publisher..iDISCO enables facile volume imaging of immunolabeled structures in complex tissues. PAPERCLIP: ..
- Ko H, Chen S, Chen H, Hao H, Liu F. Cell type-selective expression of the zinc finger-containing gene Nolz-1/Zfp503 in the developing mouse striatum. Neurosci Lett. 2013;548:44-9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, many Nolz-1-immunoreactive cells co-expressed Foxp1 or Foxp2, markers for striatal projection neurons...
- Shintani T, Takeuchi Y, Fujikawa A, Noda M. Directional neuronal migration is impaired in mice lacking adenomatous polyposis coli 2. J Neurosci. 2012;32:6468-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, APC2 is an essential mediator of the cytoskeletal regulation at leading edges in response to extracellular signals. ..
- French C, Jin X, Campbell T, Gerfen E, Groszer M, Fisher S, et al. An aetiological Foxp2 mutation causes aberrant striatal activity and alters plasticity during skill learning. Mol Psychiatry. 2012;17:1077-85 pubmed publisherMutations in the human FOXP2 gene cause impaired speech development and linguistic deficits, which have been best characterised in a large pedigree called the KE family...
- Yang H, Lu M, Zhang L, Whitsett J, Morrisey E. GATA6 regulates differentiation of distal lung epithelium. Development. 2002;129:2233-46 pubmed..These embryos also exhibited increased Foxp2 gene expression, suggesting a disruption in late alveolar epithelial differentiation...
- Dennis D, Wilkinson G, Li S, Dixit R, Adnani L, Balakrishnan A, et al. Neurog2 and Ascl1 together regulate a postmitotic derepression circuit to govern laminar fate specification in the murine neocortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E4934-E4943 pubmed publisher..Proneural genes thus act in a context-dependent fashion as early determinants, promoting deep-layer neurogenesis in early cortical progenitors via input into the derepression circuit while also influencing other temporal regulators. ..
- De Pietri Tonelli D, Pulvers J, Haffner C, Murchison E, Hannon G, Huttner W. miRNAs are essential for survival and differentiation of newborn neurons but not for expansion of neural progenitors during early neurogenesis in the mouse embryonic neocortex. Development. 2008;135:3911-21 pubmed publisher..5. Our results support the emerging concept that progenitors are less dependent on miRNAs than their differentiated progeny, and raise interesting perspectives as to the expansion of somatic stem cells. ..
- Gasser E, Johannssen H, Rülicke T, Zeilhofer H, Stoffel M. Foxa1 is essential for development and functional integrity of the subthalamic nucleus. Sci Rep. 2016;6:38611 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the spontaneous firing activity of Foxa1-deficient STN neurons is profoundly impaired. Our data reveal so far elusive roles of Foxa1 in the development and maintenance of STN function. ..
- Regad T, Bellodi C, Nicotera P, Salomoni P. The tumor suppressor Pml regulates cell fate in the developing neocortex. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:132-40 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings reveal an unexpected role of Pml in controlling the function of NPCs in the CNS. ..
- Chokas A, Trivedi C, Lu M, Tucker P, Li S, Epstein J, et al. Foxp1/2/4-NuRD interactions regulate gene expression and epithelial injury response in the lung via regulation of interleukin-6. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:13304-13 pubmed publisher..These data reveal an important interaction between the Foxp transcription factors and the NuRD chromatin-remodeling complex that modulates transcriptional repression critical for the lung epithelial injury response. ..
- Arellano J, Guadiana S, Breunig J, Rakic P, Sarkisian M. Development and distribution of neuronal cilia in mouse neocortex. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:848-73 pubmed publisher..Thus, the function of this organelle in neocortical neurons remains elusive. ..
- Molyneaux B, Arlotta P, Hirata T, Hibi M, Macklis J. Fezl is required for the birth and specification of corticospinal motor neurons. Neuron. 2005;47:817-31 pubmed
- Hou C, Ding L, Zhang J, Jin Y, Sun C, Li Z, et al. Abnormal cerebellar development and Purkinje cell defects in Lgl1-Pax2 conditional knockout mice. Dev Biol. 2014;395:167-81 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that Lgl1 plays a key role in cerebellar development and folia formation by regulating the development of PCs. ..
- Doran S, Trammel C, Benashaski S, Venna V, McCullough L. Ultrasonic vocalization changes and FOXP2 expression after experimental stroke. Behav Brain Res. 2015;283:154-61 pubmed publisher..In this study we assessed vocalization patterns and quantity in male mice after cerebral ischemia. FOXP2, a gene associated with verbal dyspraxia in humans, with known roles in neurogenesis and synaptic plasticity, was ..