Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Fos
Description: FBJ osteosarcoma oncogene
Alias: D12Rfj1, c-fos, cFos, cellular oncogene fos, proto-oncogene c-Fos, proto-oncogene protein c-fos
- c-Fos: a key regulator of osteoclast-macrophage lineage determination and bone remodelingA E Grigoriadis
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology IMP, Vienna, Austria
Science 266:443-8. 1994Mice lacking the proto-oncogene c-fos develop the bone disease osteopetrosis. Fos mutant mice were found to have a block in the differentiation of bone-resorbing osteoclasts that was intrinsic to hematopoietic cells...
- Bone and haematopoietic defects in mice lacking c-fosZ Q Wang
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology IMP, Vienna, Austria
Nature 360:741-5. 1992The proto-oncogene c-fos is the cellular homologue of v-fos originally isolated from murine osteosarcoma. Fos protein is a major component of the AP-1 transcription factor complex, which includes members of the jun family...
- RANKL maintains bone homeostasis through c-Fos-dependent induction of interferon-betaHiroshi Takayanagi
Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine and Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Hongo 7 3 1, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Nature 416:744-9. 2002..cells, and that IFN-beta inhibits the differentiation by interfering with the RANKL-induced expression of c-Fos, an essential transcription factor for the formation of osteoclasts...
- Inducible and constitutive transcription factors in the mammalian nervous system: control of gene expression by Jun, Fos and Krox, and CREB/ATF proteinsT Herdegen
Institute of Pharmacology, University of Kiel, Hospitalstrasse 4, 24105, Kiel
Brain Res Brain Res Rev 28:370-490. 1998..reviews findings up to the end of 1997 about the inducible transcription factors (ITFs) c-Jun, JunB, JunD, c-Fos, FosB, Fra-1, Fra-2, Krox-20 (Egr-2) and Krox-24 (NGFI-A, Egr-1, Zif268); and the constitutive transcription ..
- Viral and cellular fos proteins: a comparative analysisT Curran
Cell 36:259-68. 1984..It contains an oncogene termed v-fos derived from a normal cellular gene by recombination with an associated helper virus...
- Nuclear factor of activated T-cells (NFAT) rescues osteoclastogenesis in precursors lacking c-FosKoichi Matsuo
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:26475-80. 2004Osteoclasts are specialized macrophages that resorb bone. Mice lacking the AP-1 component c-Fos are osteopetrotic because of a lack of osteoclast differentiation and show an increased number of macrophages...
- NF-kappaB p50 and p52 regulate receptor activator of NF-kappaB ligand (RANKL) and tumor necrosis factor-induced osteoclast precursor differentiation by activating c-Fos and NFATc1Teruhito Yamashita
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and Center for Musculoskeletal Research, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Biol Chem 282:18245-53. 2007..Osteoclast formation induced by these cytokines requires NF-kappaB p50 and p52, c-Fos, and NFATc1 expression in osteoclast precursors...
- Autoamplification of NFATc1 expression determines its essential role in bone homeostasisMasataka Asagiri
Department of Cell Signaling, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
J Exp Med 202:1261-9. 2005..differentiation in vivo by adoptive transfer of NFATc1(-/-) hematopoietic stem cells to osteoclast-deficient Fos(-/-) mice, and by Fos(-/-) blastocyst complementation, thus avoiding the embryonic lethality of NFATc1(-/-) mice...
- Cell transformation by c-fos requires an extended period of expression and is independent of the cell cycleG G Miao
Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Nutley, New Jersey 07110
Mol Cell Biol 14:4295-310. 1994The proto-oncogene transcription factors Fos and Jun form a heterodimeric complex that binds to DNA and regulates expression of specific target genes...
- Pleiotropic effects of a null mutation in the c-fos proto-oncogeneR S Johnson
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Cell 71:577-86. 1992The c-fos proto-oncogene has been implicated as a central regulatory component of the nuclear response to mitogens and other extracellular stimuli...
- Analysis of FBJ-MuSV provirus and c-fos (mouse) gene reveals that viral and cellular fos gene products have different carboxy terminiC Van Beveren
Cell 32:1241-55. 1983The complete nucleotide sequence of the FBJ-MuSV proviral DNA and the cellular homolog (c-fos) of its oncogene (v-fos) have been determined...
- Programmed cell death in the absence of c-Fos and c-JunS Roffler-Tarlov
Department of Neuroscience, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Development 122:1-9. 1996..the transcription factor, AP-1, in the regulation of programmed cell death, and specifically implicate the genes c-fos and c-jun, as well as some other family members...
- Null mutation of c-fos impairs structural and functional plasticities in the kindling model of epilepsyY Watanabe
Department of Medicine Neurology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Neurosci 16:3827-36. 1996It has been suggested that expression of the immediate early gene c-fos links fleeting changes in neuronal activity to lasting modifications of neuronal structure and function in the mammalian nervous system...
- Light-induced c-fos in melanopsin retinal ganglion cells of young and aged rodless/coneless (rd/rd cl) miceMa ayan Semo
Department of Integrative and Molecular Neuroscience, Imperial College London, Charing Cross Hospital, Fulham Palace Road, London W6 8RF, UK
Eur J Neurosci 18:3007-17. 2003..Using real-time polymerase chain reaction and immunohistochemistry, we address the following. (1) Is Fos expression within these RGCs driven by an input from the rods/cones or is it the product of the intrinsic ..
- Fos expression in the retina of rd/rd mice during the light/dark cycleJ J Huerta
Departamento de Morfologia y Biologia Celular, Universidad de Oviedo, Spain
Neurosci Lett 232:143-6. 1997An anti-Fos protein antiserum was used to elucidate the diurnal expression of Fos protein in the normal and degenerate rd/rd mice retina...
- Normal peripheral T-cell function in c-Fos-deficient miceJ Jain
Division of Tumor Virology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Mol Cell Biol 14:1566-74. 1994The ubiquitous transcription factors Fos and Jun are rapidly induced in T cells stimulated through the T-cell antigen receptor and regulate transcription of cytokines, including interleukin 2, in activated T cells...
- c-Fos degradation by the ubiquitin-proteasome proteolytic pathway in osteoclast progenitorsYuji Ito
Department of Medicine and Bioregulatory Sciences, University of Tokushima Graduate School, Institute of Health Biosciences, 3 18 15 Kuramoto cho Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
Bone 37:842-9. 2005c-Fos is an immediate early gene type proto-oncogene that belongs to the AP (activator protein)-1 transcription factor family...
- Dual modes of control of c-fos mRNA induction by intracellular calcium in T cellsG Lee
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York 11724
Mol Cell Biol 14:4579-87. 1994..examine the molecular mechanisms through which these agents exert synergistic control over the expression of the c-fos proto-oncogene in a T-cell hybridoma...
- Phosphorylation of c-Fos by members of the p38 MAPK family. Role in the AP-1 response to UV lightTamara Tanos
Laboratorio de Fisiologia y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, IFIBYNE CONICET, 1428 Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Biol Chem 280:18842-52. 2005..Among them, the rapid activation of genes coding for two subfamilies of proto-oncoproteins, Fos and Jun, which constitute the AP-1 transcription factor, plays a key role in the subsequent regulation of ..
- c-fos protein can induce cellular transformation: a novel mechanism of activation of a cellular oncogeneA D Miller
Cell 36:51-60. 1984..Transformation is due to the expression of a single viral protein (p55v-fos) which is encoded by sequences derived from mouse genetic material...
- Behavioral assessment of c-fos mutant miceR Paylor
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, Boulder 80309 0447
Brain Res 651:275-82. 1994Induction of the proto-oncogene c-fos has been associated with a number of neural and behavioral responses to acute stimuli...
- Regulation of c-fos transcription in mouse fibroblasts: identification of DNase I-hypersensitive sites and regulatory upstream sequencesM Renz
EMBO J 4:3711-6. 1985In quiescent mouse fibroblasts, the c-fos gene is expressed at very low levels, but is rapidly and transiently inducible by peptide growth factors...
- c-Fos is required for excision repair of UV-light induced DNA lesions by triggering the re-synthesis of XPFMarkus Christmann
Department of Toxicology, University of Mainz, Obere Zahlbacher Strasse 67, D 55131 Mainz, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 34:6530-9. 2006Cells deficient in c-Fos are hypersensitive to ultraviolet (UV-C) light. Here we demonstrate that mouse embryonic fibroblasts lacking c-Fos (fos-/-) are defective in the repair of UV-C induced DNA lesions...
- Phosphorylation of the carboxyl-terminal transactivation domain of c-Fos by extracellular signal-regulated kinase mediates the transcriptional activation of AP-1 and cellular transformation induced by platelet-derived growth factorPaula Monje
Oral and Pharyngeal Cancer Branch, National Institute of Dental Research, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4330, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:7030-43. 2003..Among them, the AP-1 (activating protein-1) family of transcription factors, including c-Fos and c-Jun family members, plays a key role, as AP-1 activity is potently activated by PDGF and is required to ..
- Platelet-derived growth factor induces rapid but transient expression of the c-fos gene and proteinW Kruijer
Nature 312:711-6. 1984Exposure of quiescent mouse fibroblasts to platelet-derived growth factor induces mRNA from the c-fos proto-oncogene within 10 min followed by synthesis of nuclear c-fos proteins...
- The absence of c-fos prevents light-induced apoptotic cell death of photoreceptors in retinal degeneration in vivoF Hafezi
Department of Ophthalmology, University Clinic, Zurich, Switzerland
Nat Med 3:346-9. 1997..Although recent evidence indicates that the proto-oncogene c-fos is a mediator of apoptosis, its precise role is unclear...
- A functional NF-kappaB enhancer element in the first intron contributes to the control of c-fos transcriptionYsadora Maisonnasse Charital
Fondation pour Recherches Medicales, University of Geneva, 64 av de la Roseraie, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Gene 430:116-22. 2009..Such regulation is important for the transcription of immediate early genes (IEGs) and in particular for the c-fos gene, the first intron of which contains many potential transcription factor binding elements...
- Primary mouse fibroblasts deficient for c-Fos, p53 or for both proteins are hypersensitive to UV light and alkylating agent-induced chromosomal breakage and apoptosisD Lackinger
Institute of Toxicology, Division of Applied Toxicology, University of Mainz, Obere Zahlbacher Str 67, D 55131, Mainz, Germany
Mutat Res 457:113-23. 2000The important regulatory proteins, c-Fos and p53 are induced by exposure of cells to a variety of DNA damaging agents...
- Fra-1 replaces c-Fos-dependent functions in miceA Fleischmann
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology IMP, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Genes Dev 14:2695-700. 2000..analysis as well as studies with knock-out and transgenic mice have assigned distinct functions to c-Fos and Fra-1, two components of the transcription factor AP-1 (activator protein-1)...
- Skeletal unloading alleviates the anabolic action of intermittent PTH(1-34) in mouse tibia in association with inhibition of PTH-induced increase in c-fos mRNA in bone marrow cellsShinya Tanaka
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
J Bone Miner Res 19:1813-20. 2004..Reduction of the PTH-induced anabolic actions on bone was associated with unloading, which was apparently related to suppression of c-fos mRNA expression in bone marrow.
- Cloning, chromosomal localization, and functional analysis of the murine estrogen receptor betaG B Tremblay
Molecular Oncology Group, Boyal Victoria Hospital Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Mol Endocrinol 11:353-65. 1997..Our results demonstrate that while ER beta shares many of the functional characteristics of ER alpha, the molecular mechanisms regulating the transcriptional activity of mER beta may be distinct from those of ER alpha...
- Calmodulin and calmodulin-dependent kinase IIalpha regulate osteoblast differentiation by controlling c-fos expressionMajd Zayzafoon
Department of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
J Biol Chem 280:7049-59. 2005..Inhibition of alpha-CaMKII decreases the expression of c-fos, AP-1 transactivation, and AP-1 DNA binding activity...
- Increased c-fos-like immunoreactivity in the superior colliculus and lateral geniculate nucleus of the rd mouseBin Lu
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Moran Eye Center, University of Utah Health Science Center, 75 N Medical Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Brain Res 1025:220-5. 2004In most subcortical visual centers in normal mice maintained for a period in the dark, very few neurons express fos-like immunoreactivity (FLI), most likely reflecting c-fos expression, but if an animal is exposed to a flashing light, ..
- Activation of the coactivator four-and-a-half-LIM-only protein FHL2 and the c-fos promoter through inhibition of protein phosphatase 2AMona Johannessen
Department of Biochemistry, Section for Molecular Genetics, Institute of Medical Biology, University of Tromsø, Norway
Biochem Pharmacol 65:1317-28. 2003..Overexpression of FHL2 readily enhanced the transcription of the luciferase reporter gene driven by the c-fos promoter, and inhibition of PP2A further stimulated FHL2-induced transactivation of this promoter...
- Glutamate receptor-mediated regulation of c-fos expression in cultured microgliaSu Yong Eun
Division of Brain Diseases, Department of Biomedical Sciences, National Institute of Health, 5 Nokbun dong, Eunpyung Ku, Seoul 122 701, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 325:320-7. 2004..Here, we investigated the role of glutamate receptor on c-fos gene expression in primary cultured and BV-2 microglia...
- Sequential actions of ERK1/2 on the AP-1 transcription factor allow temporal integration of metabolic signals in pancreatic beta cellsDominique A Glauser
Fondation pour Recherches Medicales, University of Geneva, Switzerland
FASEB J 21:3240-9. 2007The AP-1 transcription factor composed of fos and jun gene products mediates transcriptional responses to hormonal and metabolic stimulations of pancreatic beta cells...
- Fos proteins suppress dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis through inhibition of NF-kappaBYasunari Takada
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
J Immunol 184:1014-21. 2010The Fos family proteins, c-Fos and Fra-1, are components of the dimeric transcription factor AP-1, which is typically composed of Fos and Jun family proteins...
- Cytoplasmic Prep1 interacts with 4EHP inhibiting Hoxb4 translationJ Carlos Villaescusa
IFOM, FIRC Institute of Molecular Oncology, Milano, Italy
PLoS ONE 4:e5213. 2009..Interestingly, Prep1 contains a putative binding motif for 4EHP, which may reflect a novel unknown function...
- C-Fos elimination compensates for disabled-2 requirement in mouse extraembryonic endoderm developmentDong Hua Yang
Ovarian Cancer Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Dev Dyn 238:514-23. 2009..5-E6.5 due to the disorganization of the endoderm layers. Here we show that Dab2 suppresses c-Fos expression in endoderm cells. A morphological normal primitive endoderm layer was observed in putative E5...
- c-Fos expression during temporal order judgment in miceMakoto Wada
Department of Physiology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 5:e10483. 2010..In the present study, we examined the expression of c-Fos, a marker of neural activation, in mice just after they carried out the temporal order judgment task...
- Individual contribution of metabotropic glutamate receptor (mGlu) 2 and 3 to c-Fos expression pattern evoked by mGlu2/3 antagonismAlfred Hetzenauer
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Institute of Pharmacy and Center for Molecular Biosciences Innsbruck CMBI, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 201:1-13. 2008..c-Fos expression was used as a marker of neuronal activation.
- The differential effects of emotional or physical stress on pain behaviors or on c-Fos immunoreactivity in paraventricular nucleus or arcuate nucleusMin Soo Kwon
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Natural Medicine, College of Medicine, Hallym University, 1 Okchun dong, Chuncheon, Gangwon Do, 200 702, South Korea
Brain Res 1190:122-31. 2008..In the present study, we investigated the differential effects of ES or PS on pain behaviors or on c-Fos immunoreactivity (IR) in the paraventricular nucleus (PVN) or arcuate nucleus (ArcN) using electrical footshock-..
- Osteoclasts are dispensable for hematopoietic stem cell maintenance and mobilizationKana Miyamoto
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Keio Kanrinmaru Project, Keio University School of Medicine, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
J Exp Med 208:2175-81. 2011..To investigate this question, we evaluated hematopoietic activity in three osteopetrotic mouse models: op/op, c-Fos-deficient, and RANKL (receptor activator of nuclear factor kappa B ligand)-deficient mice...
- Syk-dependent ERK activation regulates IL-2 and IL-10 production by DC stimulated with zymosanEmma C Slack
Immunobiology Laboratory, Cancer Research UK, London Research Institute, London, UK
Eur J Immunol 37:1600-12. 2007..Furthermore, the lack of receptor compensation observed here suggests that responses induced by complex innate stimuli cannot always be predicted by the signalling pathways downstream of individual receptors...
- AP-1 activated by toll-like receptors regulates expression of IL-23 p19Weicheng Liu
Immunology Institute, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029 6574, USA
J Biol Chem 284:24006-16. 2009..Electrophoretic mobility shift assay (EMSA) analysis showed that c-Jun and c-Fos bind to the AP-1 site, which was confirmed by a chromatin immunoprecipitation assay...
- Role of selenium in spermatogenesis: differential expression of cjun and cfos in tubular cells of mice testisSonia Shalini
Department of Biophysics, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Mol Cell Biochem 292:27-38. 2006..cjun and cfos (components of transcription factor AP1) regulate cellular growth and differentiation and also exert a regulatory ..
- Receptor activator of NF-kappa B ligand and osteoprotegerin regulate proinflammatory cytokine production in miceKenta Maruyama
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
J Immunol 177:3799-805. 2006..RANKL-induced tolerance occurred in the absence of c-Fos, which is essential for osteoclast differentiation...
- c-Fos protein as a target of anti-osteoclastogenic action of vitamin D, and synthesis of new analogsHisashi Takasu
Department of Bone and Joint Disease, Research Institute, National Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology, Obu, Japan
J Clin Invest 116:528-35. 2006..Among signaling molecules downstream of RANK, 1alpha,25(OH)2D3 inhibited the induction of c-Fos protein after RANKL stimulation, and retroviral expression of c-Fos protein abrogated the suppressive effect of ..
- Increase of c-Fos and c-Jun expression in spinal and cranial motoneurons of the degenerating muscle mouse (Scn8a(dmu))Hiroyuki Ichikawa
Division of Oral and Craniofacial Anatomy, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai, Miyagi 980 8575, Japan
Cell Mol Neurobiol 30:737-42. 2010..6. The distribution of c-Fos and c-Jun was examined in spinal and cranial motoneurons of the dmu mouse...
- Skin-derived nerve growth factor blocks programmed cell death in the trigeminal ganglia but does not enhance neuron proliferationH F Figueiredo
Graduate Center for Toxicology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
Mech Dev 109:205-14. 2001..Analysis of RNA and protein expression suggests this block in cell death is mediated via the anti-apoptotic protein bcl-2...
- Defective transcription of the IL-2 gene is associated with impaired expression of c-Fos, FosB, and JunB in anergic T helper 1 cellsA Mondino
Department of Microbiology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
J Immunol 157:2048-57. 1996..DNA enhancer elements: NF-AT (nuclear factor of activated T cells; a sequence that binds a heterotrimeric NFATp, Fos, and Jun protein complex) and Activator Protein-1 (AP-1) (that binds Fos and Jun heterodimers)...
- Scaffold attachment regions stimulate HSP70.1 expression in mouse preimplantation embryos but not in differentiated tissuesE M Thompson
Unite de Biologie du Developpement, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Jouy en Josas, France
Mol Cell Biol 14:4694-703. 1994..These results suggest a limited capacity of SARs to act as insulating elements but are consistent with a proposed model of SAR-mediated chromatin opening and closing...
- Evi-1 raises AP-1 activity and stimulates c-fos promoter transactivation with dependence on the second zinc finger domainT Tanaka
Department of Molecular Biology, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi, Japan
J Biol Chem 269:24020-6. 1994..P19 cells showed some differentiated phenotypes and increased expression of endogenous c-Jun and c-Fos. These results indicate that Evi-1 raises AP-1 activity...
- Muscle homeodomain protein MHox inhibits ternary complex formation at the c-fos serum response elementJ T Ma
Institute of Molecular Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 200:1742-7. 1994The Serum Response Element in the c-fos promoter is the target of growth factor-regulated signal transduction pathways...
- Cell proliferation and cell cycle progression are not impaired in fibroblasts and ES cells lacking c-FosS Brüsselbach
Institut für Molekularbiologie und Tumorforschung IMT, Marburg, Germany
Oncogene 10:79-86. 1995..AP-1 is thought to play an important role in the control of cell proliferation, but the function of individual Fos and Jun family members is a largely unresolved issue...
- Tissue factor gene transcription in serum-stimulated fibroblasts is mediated by recruitment of c-Fos into specific AP-1 DNA-binding complexesS J Felts
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Mayo Clinic Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Biochemistry 34:12355-62. 1995..complexes indicates that the predominant form of AP-1 activity in quiescent cells consists of an unidentified Fos-related protein and JunD...
- Id genes are direct targets of bone morphogenetic protein induction in embryonic stem cellsA Hollnagel
Institut fur Molekularbiologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
J Biol Chem 274:19838-45. 1999..We therefore propose that the Msx and Id genes are direct target genes of embryonic BMP4 signaling in vivo...
- Novel RFLPs at protooncogene and cancer-related gene loci on mouse chromosomesJ Santos
Department of Pathology and Kaplan Cancer Center, New York University School of Medicine, NY 10016
Cytogenet Cell Genet 62:217-9. 1993DNA probes for the NRAS, HRAS, KRAS2, LCK, RAF1, MET, MYCL1, MYCN, MYB, ERBB2, FOS, CSF1R, and SRC protooncogene loci; the retinoblastoma gene locus (RB1); the tumor virus integration sites INT2, PVT1, and MLV12; and the locus of the ..
- Dissociation of angiogenesis and osteoclastogenesis during endochondral bone formation in neonatal miceMartine M L Deckers
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
J Bone Miner Res 17:998-1007. 2002..In line with these observations, in the osteopetrotic mouse mutants c-fos knockout mice and op/op mice, capillaries invaded the calcified cartilage in the absence of osteoclasts...
- Neurotrophic signaling in normal and degenerating rodent retinasK J Wahlin
Department of Ophthalmology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287 9277, USA
Exp Eye Res 73:693-701. 2001..by performing immunohistochemical staining for the phosphorylated form of extracellular receptor kinase (pERK) or c-fos after intravitreous injection of neurotrophic factors in wild type rats or mice, or those with inherited retinal ..
- Fra-1 substitutes for c-Fos in AP-1-mediated signal transduction in retinal apoptosisAndreas Wenzel
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland Institute of Molecular Pathology, Vienna, Austria
J Neurochem 80:1089-94. 2002Lack of the AP-1 member c-Fos protects photoreceptors against light-induced apoptosis, a model for retinal degeneration...
- Removal of a 67-base-pair sequence in the noncoding region of protooncogene fos converts it to a transforming geneF Meijlink
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 82:4987-91. 1985Transformation of fibroblasts by protooncogene fos (c-fos) requires the linkage of viral long terminal repeat (LTR) sequences and interruption of 3'-noncoding sequences...
- Proto-oncogene c-jun and c-fos messenger RNAs increase in the liver of carnitine-deficient juvenile visceral steatosis (jvs) miceM Tomomura
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Japan
FEBS Lett 311:63-6. 1992We determined the mRNA levels of c-jun and c-fos in the liver of C3H-H-2 degrees jvs mice. Both were higher in jvs mice than in normal mice...
- Regional localization of loci on chromosome 14 using somatic cell hybridsG D Billingsley
Research Institute, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Cytogenet Cell Genet 66:33-8. 1994..Four additional genes, chromogranin A (CHGA), myosin (MYH7), tRNA proline 2 (TRP2) and c-FOS (FOS) and four random segments, D14S26, D14S12, D14S14 and D14S13 have been more precisely localized...
- c-Fos-deficient mice are susceptible to Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium infectionKenta Maruyama
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, Keio University, 160 8582 Tokyo, Japan
Infect Immun 75:1520-3. 2007c-Fos is a component of transcription factor AP-1...
- Heterodimerization with Jun family members regulates c-Fos nucleocytoplasmic trafficCecile E Malnou
Institut de Genetique Moleculaire de Montpellier, CNRS, UMR5535, 1919 Route de Mende, Montpellier F 34293, France
J Biol Chem 282:31046-59. 2007c-Fos proto-oncoprotein forms AP-1 transcription complexes with heterodimerization partners such as c-Jun, JunB, and JunD. Thereby, it controls essential cell functions and exerts tumorigenic actions...
- Differentiation of F9 teratocarcinoma stem cells after transfer of c-fos proto-oncogenesR Muller
Nature 311:438-42. 1984Transfer of mouse or human c-fos proto-oncogenes into F9 teratocarcinoma stem cells results in expression of c-fos mRNA and protein...
- Cellular proto-oncogene expression following exposure of mice to gamma raysA Anderson
Argonne National Laboratory, Biological and Medical Research Division, Illinois 60439 4833
Radiat Res 130:340-4. 1992..We selected specific cellular oncogenes (c-fos, c-myc, c-src, and c-H-ras), based on their normal expression in liver and gut tissues from untreated mice...
- Product of the cellular oncogene, c-fos, observed in mouse and human tissues using an antibody to a synthetic peptideE D Adamson
EMBO J 4:941-7. 1985The transforming gene of the osteosarcoma-producing FBJ murine sarcoma virus, v-fos, is homologous to a normal cellular gene, c-fos, in vertebrate species...
- Synergistic activation of neurotensin/neuromedin N gene expression by c-Jun and glucocorticoids: novel effects of Fos family proteinsR J Harrison
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester 01655, USA
Mol Endocrinol 9:981-93. 1995..Here we report that c-Jun acts synergistically with glucocorticoids to activate the NT/N promoter, and that Fos family proteins have novel regulatory effects on this interaction...
- The effect of LPS on expression of the early "competence" genes JE and KC in murine peritoneal macrophagesM Introna
J Immunol 138:3891-6. 1987..This set of genes (e.g., c-myc, c-fos, r-fos, JE, and KC) were first described in BALB/c 3T3 cells treated with platelet-derived growth factor...
- c-Fos enhances the survival of thymocytes during positive selection by upregulating Bcl-2Xiaoming Wang
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
Cell Res 19:340-7. 2009..Here we report that the immediate early gene (IEG) c-Fos can stimulate the expression of Bcl-2, depending on a specific AP-1-binding site in the Bcl-2 promoter...
- Changes in protooncogene expression correlated with general and sex-specific differentiation in murine primordial germ cellsE C Coucouvanis
Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, CA 94305
Mech Dev 42:49-58. 1993..We report here that mRNA levels for nuclear protooncogenes c-myc, c-fos, and c-jun increase dramatically in both sexes from little or no detectable expression on day 12 to high expression ..
- Bidirectional ephrinB2-EphB4 signaling controls bone homeostasisChen Zhao
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 160 8582, Japan
Cell Metab 4:111-21. 2006..ephrinB2 into osteoclast precursors suppresses osteoclast differentiation by inhibiting the osteoclastogenic c-Fos-NFATc1 cascade...
- Expression of tumor necrosis factor and c-fos genes in peritoneal macrophages of hypothyroid miceW K Liu
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N T
Inflammation 17:217-25. 1993..macrophage, a hypothyroid animal model was used to study the expression of both tumor necrosis factor gene and c-fos protooncogene in peritoneal macrophages...
- The homeodomain protein Barx2 promotes myogenic differentiation and is regulated by myogenic regulatory factorsRobyn Meech
Department of Neurobiology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 278:8269-78. 2003..Taken together, these studies indicate that Barx2 is a key regulator of myogenic differentiation that acts downstream of muscle regulatory factors...
- Role of angiotensin in body fluid homeostasis of mice: fluid intake, plasma hormones, and brain FosNeil E Rowland
University of Florida, Department of Psychology, Gainesville, Florida 32611 2250, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284:R1586-94. 2003..peripherally with either ANG I or ANG II failed to drink substantial amounts of water or NaCl, yet showed strong Fos immunoreactivity (ir) in subfornical organ (SFO)...
- Expression of AP-1 (c-fos/c-jun) in developing mouse corneal epitheliumYuka Okada
Department of Ophthalmology, Wakayama Medical University, 811 1 Kimiidera, 641 0012 Wakayama, Japan
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 241:330-3. 2003..AP-1 consists of Fos family and Jun family proteins.
- Impaired long-term memory and NR2A-type NMDA receptor-dependent synaptic plasticity in mice lacking c-Fos in the CNSAlexander Fleischmann
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology, 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Neurosci 23:9116-22. 2003The immediate early gene c-fos is part of the activator protein-1 transcription factor and has been postulated to participate in the molecular mechanisms of learning and memory...
- Cocaine-induced intracellular signaling and gene expression are oppositely regulated by the dopamine D1 and D3 receptorsLu Zhang
Department of Cell Biology, Neurobiology, and Anatomy, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Neurosci 24:3344-54. 2004..We show that extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) activation and c-fos induction in the CPu in response to acute cocaine administration is mediated by the D1 receptor and inhibited by ..
- The role of c-fos in cell death and regeneration of retinal ganglion cellsToshiyuki Oshitari
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:2442-9. 2002To investigate the effect of c-fos on apoptotic cell death and regeneration of damaged retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) in tissue culture of retinal explants.
- An extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1- and 2-dependent program of chromatin trafficking of c-Fos and Fra-1 is required for cyclin D1 expression during cell cycle reentryPeter M Burch
Department of Pathology, Vermont Cancer Center, HSRF 328, University of Vermont College of Medicine, 89 Beaumont Ave, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:4696-709. 2004..cycle arrest in response to oxidative stress, we have delineated a dynamic program of chromatin trafficking of c-Fos and Fra-1 required for cyclin D1 expression during cell cycle reentry...
- Structure and chromosomal assignment of the mouse fra-1 gene, and its exclusion as a candidate gene for oc (osteosclerosis)M Schreiber
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology IMP, Vienna, Austria
Oncogene 15:1171-8. 1997..fra-1 gene, which consists of four exons and three introns at positions also found in the other members of the fos gene family...
- Haloperidol regulates neurotensin gene expression in striatum of c-fos-deficient miceL P Shearman
Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 47:275-85. 1997The immediate-early gene c-fos has been proposed to play a role in induction of neurotensin/neuromedin N (NT/N) gene expression in the striatum following acute haloperidol (HAL) treatment...
- FOS expression in grafted gonadotropin-releasing hormone neurons in hypogonadal mouse: mating and steroid inductionT J Wu
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Neurobiol 31:67-76. 1996We used FOS expression, widely accepted as a marker for neuronal activation, to evaluate physiologically induced activation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) neurons within intraventricular preoptic area grafts in hypogonadal (hpg)..
- Expression of c-fos precedes MDR3 in vincristine and adriamycin selected multidrug resistant murine erythroleukemia cellsA Bhushan
Vermont Cancer Center, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington 05405, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 226:819-21. 1996..Higher expression of c-fos and c-jun has also been demonstrated in multidrug resistant human and murine cells...
- Characterization of a 142-bp fragment of the murine c-fos oncogene promoter upstream of the SIF-binding elementY Lavrovsky
Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021
Gene 142:285-90. 1994..reported that in transformed mouse sarcoma cells of spontaneous origin and in revertants transfected with a fos-cat fusion, the 600-bp c-fos promoter region provides chloramphenicol acetyltransferase activity...
- A role for c-fos/activator protein 1 in B lymphocyte terminal differentiationYusuke Ohkubo
Department of Developmental Genetics H2, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
J Immunol 174:7703-10. 2005..cells were stimulated with CD40 ligand (CD40L) and IL-4, terminal differentiation was induced in the B cells from c-fos transgenic (H2-c-fos) mice but barely in those from control littermates and from c-fos-deficient mice...
- Mice lacking Dlx1 show subtype-specific loss of interneurons, reduced inhibition and epilepsyInma Cobos
Nina Ireland Laboratory of Developmental Neurobiology, Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
Nat Neurosci 8:1059-68. 2005..Dlx1 mutant mice show generalized electrographic seizures and histological evidence of seizure-induced reorganization, linking the Dlx1 mutation to delayed-onset epilepsy associated with interneuron loss...
- C-Fos is not essential for apoptosisC Gajate
Instituto de Biologia y Genetica Molecular, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Valladolid Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Valladolid, Spain
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 218:267-72. 1996The transcription factor AP-1, made up of dimers of Fos and Jun proto-oncogene products, is involved in distinct cellular processes, including cell proliferation, differentiation and apoptosis...
- Role of AP-1 in ethanol-induced N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor 2B subunit gene up-regulation in mouse cortical neuronsMei Qiang
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
J Neurochem 95:1332-41. 2005..The AP-1 DNA-binding complex in control and ethanol-treated nuclear extract was composed of c-Fos, FosB, c-Jun, JunD, and phosphorylated CREB (p-CREB)...
- Osteoclasts are essential for TNF-alpha-mediated joint destructionKurt Redlich
Department of Internal Medicine III, Division of Rheumatology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Clin Invest 110:1419-27. 2002..express human TNF (hTNFtg) and that develop a severe and destructive arthritis were crossed with osteopetrotic, c-fos-deficient mice (c-fos(-/-)) completely lacking osteoclasts...
- Cell-free cotranslation and selection using in vitro virus for high-throughput analysis of protein-protein interactions and complexesEtsuko Miyamoto-Sato
Department of Biosciences and Informatics, Faculty of Science and Technology, Keio University, Yokohama 223 8522, Japan
Genome Res 15:710-7. 2005..In a single experiment using bait Fos, more than 10 interactors, including not only direct, but also indirect interactions, were enriched...
- Role of homeobox proteins in muscle developmentRobyn Meech; Fiscal Year: 2007..Defining the roles of Barx2 in muscle development, function and repair should help to build a more complete understanding of the muscle regulatory network that may aid in diagnosing or treating muscle disease. ..
- HYPOTHALAMIC REGULATION OF SLEEPPriyattam J Shiromani; Fiscal Year: 2010..The significance of this project is that it will develop a gene transfer approach that will serve as a neurobiological tool to understand the networking underlying narcolepsy and also to ultimately restore some function. ..
- Physiology and genetics of food procurement in rodentsNeil Rowland; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed studies will be the first to address the issue of behavioral change induced by anorectics under such conditions of simulated economic costs. ..
- BRAIN MECHANISMS IN SLEEP AND NARCOLEPSYPriyattam Shiromani; Fiscal Year: 2007..Specific aim 3 will test the hypothesis that loss of a specific population of HCRT neurons is responsible for the symptoms of narcolepsy. Specific aim 4 will determine the afferents and efferents of this population of HCRT neurons. ..
- BASAL FOREBRAIN HYPOCRETIN REGULATION OF WAKINGPriyattam Shiromani; Fiscal Year: 2007..Then 192-lgG saporin will be used in the transgenic rats to lesion the BF cholinergic neurons and we hypothesize that with both the BF cholinergic and HCRT neurons lost, the rats should have more sleep compared to single lesions. ..
- Retinal Neurons Afferent to the Circadian SystemGARY PICKARD; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding the retinal neurons afferent to the SCN will aid in our ability to understand and treat these disturbances of phase. ..
- Retinal Neurons Afferent to the Circadian SystemGARY PICKARD; Fiscal Year: 2005..Understanding the retinal neurons and circuits afferent to the SCN and IGL will aid in our ability to understand and treat these disturbances of phase. ..
- Molecular Determinants of Compulsive Cocaine-TakingMing Xu; Fiscal Year: 2006..Based on work from our own laboratory and from others, we hypothesize that DA D1 and D3 receptors and c-Fos play important roles in the transition between controlled cocaine use and escalated cocaine intake...
- Retinal Neurons Afferent to the Circadian SystemGARY EDWARD PICKARD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Understanding the retinal neurons afferent to the SCN will aid in our ability to understand and treat these disturbances of phase. ..
- Extinction of cue-elicited cocaine seekingMing Xu; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have been investigating the notion that the dopamine D1 receptor and the immediate early gene product c-Fos expressed in D1 receptor-bearing neurons mediate the development of persistent neuroadaptation in the brain ..
- Role of c-fos in cocaine actionsMing Xu; Fiscal Year: 2010..The immediate early gene product c-Fos is an ideal candidate to couple repeated cocaine stimuli to persistent neuroadaptation in the brain DA system by ..
- BASAL FOREBRAIN HYPOCRETIN REGULATION OF WAKINGPriyattam J Shiromani; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Role of c-fos in cocaine actionsMing Xu; Fiscal Year: 2007..The immediate early gene product c-Fos is an ideal candidate to couple repeated cocaine stimuli to persistent neuroadaptation in the brain DA system by ..
- BRAINSTEM CHOLINERGIC MECHANISMS IN NARCOLEPSYPriyattam Shiromani; Fiscal Year: 1993..The third study will utilize fos-immunohistochemistry to reveal neuronal elements in the brainstem and forebrain related to REM sleep...
- 5HT PRESYNAPTIC INHIBITION OF RETINAL INPUT TO THE CNSGARY PICKARD; Fiscal Year: 1999..techniques the applicants will test whether the 5HT1B receptor can regulate the light-induce expression of c-Fos protein in SCN neurons, and more critically examine the expression of 5HT1B receptors in RHT terminals...
- 5HT PRESYNAPTIC INHIBITION OF RETINAL INPUT TO THE SCNGARY PICKARD; Fiscal Year: 2003..The use of behavioral, pharmacological, morphological, and electrophysiological approaches will provide an integrated analysis of 5-HT receptor subtype function in the SCN and on afferents to the SCN that regulate clock function. ..
- BRAIN MECHANISMS IN SLEEP AND NARCOLEPSYPriyattam Shiromani; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION (applicant's abstract): The PI's and other recent studies with the immediate-early gene, c-fos, have shown that this gene is expressed differentially in discrete brain regions in response to sleep and wakefulness...
- ASBESTOS AND NO2 IN ENVIRONMENTAL LUNG DISEASENicholas Heintz; Fiscal Year: 2001..Dissection of the role of cell cycle and survival regulators in proliferative and apoptotic responses to the combined effects of asbestos and N02 may lead to new biomarkers for exposure of the human lung to chemical mixtures. ..