Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Fgf7
Description: fibroblast growth factor 7
Alias: Kgf, fibroblast growth factor 7, FGF-7, HBGF-7, Keratinocyte growth factor, heparin-binding growth factor 7
- Guo L, Yu Q, Fuchs E. Targeting expression of keratinocyte growth factor to keratinocytes elicits striking changes in epithelial differentiation in transgenic mice. EMBO J. 1993;12:973-86 pubmedb>Keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) is a member of the fibroblast growth factor (FGF) family...
- Finch P, Rubin J, Miki T, Ron D, Aaronson S. Human KGF is FGF-related with properties of a paracrine effector of epithelial cell growth. Science. 1989;245:752-5 pubmedb>Keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) is a human mitogen that is specific for epithelial cells. The complementary DNA sequence of KGF demonstrates that it is a member of the fibroblast growth factor family...
- Richardson G, Bazzi H, Fantauzzo K, Waters J, Crawford H, Hynd P, et al. KGF and EGF signalling block hair follicle induction and promote interfollicular epidermal fate in developing mouse skin. Development. 2009;136:2153-64 pubmed publisher..pathways are implicated in follicle morphogenesis, the role of epidermal growth factor (EGF) and keratinocyte growth factor (KGF, also known as FGF7) receptors are not defined...
- Ray P, Devaux Y, Stolz D, Yarlagadda M, Watkins S, Lu Y, et al. Inducible expression of keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) in mice inhibits lung epithelial cell death induced by hyperoxia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:6098-103 pubmed..Instillation of keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) in the lungs of animals protects animals from oxidant-induced injury but the mechanism of ..
- Rubin J, Osada H, Finch P, Taylor W, Rudikoff S, Aaronson S. Purification and characterization of a newly identified growth factor specific for epithelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:802-6 pubmed..The factor, provisionally termed keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) because of its predominant activity on this cell type, was purified to homogeneity by a ..
- Min D, Taylor P, Panoskaltsis Mortari A, Chung B, Danilenko D, Farrell C, et al. Protection from thymic epithelial cell injury by keratinocyte growth factor: a new approach to improve thymic and peripheral T-cell reconstitution after bone marrow transplantation. Blood. 2002;99:4592-600 pubmed..Pretreatment of BMT recipients with keratinocyte growth factor (KGF, or Fgf7), an epithelial cell-specific growth factor, protects mucosal, cutaneous, and pulmonary ..
- Burns R, Fairbanks T, Sala F, De Langhe S, Mailleux A, Thiery J, et al. Requirement for fibroblast growth factor 10 or fibroblast growth factor receptor 2-IIIb signaling for cecal development in mouse. Dev Biol. 2004;265:61-74 pubmed..Thus, FGF10 signaling via FGFR2b appears to be critical in the extension of the epithelium into the mesenchyme during cecal development. ..
- Mason I, Fuller Pace F, Smith R, Dickson C. FGF-7 (keratinocyte growth factor) expression during mouse development suggests roles in myogenesis, forebrain regionalisation and epithelial-mesenchymal interactions. Mech Dev. 1994;45:15-30 pubmed..Our results suggest that FGF-7 is likely to have diverse roles during development. ..
- Nie X. Apoptosis, proliferation and gene expression patterns in mouse developing tongue. Anat Embryol (Berl). 2005;210:125-32 pubmed..High expression of Fgf7 and Fgf10 was also detected in the mesenchyme at the early embryonic stage of tongue development, corresponding to ..
- Finch P, Cunha G, Rubin J, Wong J, Ron D. Pattern of keratinocyte growth factor and keratinocyte growth factor receptor expression during mouse fetal development suggests a role in mediating morphogenetic mesenchymal-epithelial interactions. Dev Dyn. 1995;203:223-40 pubmed..Mesenchymal cells are required for the induction of epithelial development during mammalian organogenesis. Keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) is a mesenchymally derived mitogen with specific activity for epithelial cells, suggesting that it ..
- Farrell C, Bready J, Rex K, Chen J, DiPalma C, Whitcomb K, et al. Keratinocyte growth factor protects mice from chemotherapy and radiation-induced gastrointestinal injury and mortality. Cancer Res. 1998;58:933-9 pubmedb>Keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) stimulates the proliferation and differentiation of epithelial cells including those of the gastrointestinal tract...
- Revest J, Suniara R, Kerr K, Owen J, Dickson C. Development of the thymus requires signaling through the fibroblast growth factor receptor R2-IIIb. J Immunol. 2001;167:1954-61 pubmed..5, a stage that just precedes its detection in thymic epithelial cells. Fgf7 and Fgf10, the main ligands for FgfR2-IIIb, are expressed in the mesenchyme surrounding the thymic epithelial ..
- Goldberg G, Alpdogan O, Muriglan S, Hammett M, Milton M, Eng J, et al. Enhanced immune reconstitution by sex steroid ablation following allogeneic hemopoietic stem cell transplantation. J Immunol. 2007;178:7473-84 pubmed..These results indicate that sex steroid ablation can profoundly enhance thymic and hemopoietic recovery following allogeneic HSCT without increasing GVHD and maintaining GVT. ..
- Suzuki K, Yamanishi K, Mori O, Kamikawa M, Andersen B, Kato S, et al. Defective terminal differentiation and hypoplasia of the epidermis in mice lacking the Fgf10 gene. FEBS Lett. 2000;481:53-6 pubmed..These data suggest that Fgf10 is required for embryonic epidermal morphogenesis but is not essential for hair follicle development. ..
- Li C, Hu L, Xiao J, Chen H, Li J, Bellusci S, et al. Wnt5a regulates Shh and Fgf10 signaling during lung development. Dev Biol. 2005;287:86-97 pubmed..These suggest that over-expression of Wnt5a disrupts epithelial-response to FGF10. In conclusion, Wnt5a regulates SHH and FGF10 signaling during lung development. ..
- Quaggin S, Schwartz L, Cui S, Igarashi P, Deimling J, Post M, et al. The basic-helix-loop-helix protein pod1 is critically important for kidney and lung organogenesis. Development. 1999;126:5771-83 pubmed..Defects specific to later specialized cell types where Pod1 is expressed, such as the podocytes, were also observed, suggesting that this transcription factor may play multiple roles in kidney morphogenesis. ..
- Chen Y, Chou K, Fuchs E, Havran W, Boismenu R. Protection of the intestinal mucosa by intraepithelial gamma delta T cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:14338-43 pubmed..gammadelta IEL in DSS treated mice expressed keratinocyte growth factor (KGF), a potent intestinal epithelial cell mitogen...
- Asada M, Shinomiya M, Suzuki M, Honda E, Sugimoto R, Ikekita M, et al. Glycosaminoglycan affinity of the complete fibroblast growth factor family. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1790:40-8 pubmed publisher..This is noteworthy, as the differential interactions of these growth factors with GAGs may be key determinants of their specific biological activities. ..
- Tichelaar J, Lu W, Whitsett J. Conditional expression of fibroblast growth factor-7 in the developing and mature lung. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:11858-64 pubmed
- Coleman Krnacik S, Rosen J. Differential temporal and spatial gene expression of fibroblast growth factor family members during mouse mammary gland development. Mol Endocrinol. 1994;8:218-29 pubmed..The differential spatial and temporal pattern of FGF-1, FGF-2 and FGF-7 gene expression indicate that they each have unique functions in the gland. ..
- Umemori H, Linhoff M, Ornitz D, Sanes J. FGF22 and its close relatives are presynaptic organizing molecules in the mammalian brain. Cell. 2004;118:257-70 pubmed..b>FGF7 and FGF10, the closest relatives of FGF22, share this activity; other FGFs have distinct effects...
- Makarenkova H, Ito M, Govindarajan V, Faber S, Sun L, McMahon G, et al. FGF10 is an inducer and Pax6 a competence factor for lacrimal gland development. Development. 2000;127:2563-72 pubmed..This suggested that its role in induction is to stimulate proliferation and, in turn, that FGF10 combines with other factors to provide the instructive signals required for lacrimal gland development. ..
- Li C, Guo H, Xu X, Weinberg W, Deng C. Fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (Fgfr2) plays an important role in eyelid and skin formation and patterning. Dev Dyn. 2001;222:471-83 pubmed..Notably, mutant skin remains thin with decreased hair density after transplantation to wild-type recipients. These data demonstrate an essential role of Fgfr2 in eyelid and skin formation and patterning. ..
- Beyer T, Werner S, Dickson C, Grose R. Fibroblast growth factor 22 and its potential role during skin development and repair. Exp Cell Res. 2003;287:228-36 pubmed..5 embryos, as well as in adult skin and keratinocytes of the hyperthickened wound epithelium. This expression pattern suggests a potential role for FGF-22 in cutaneous development and repair. ..
- Al Alam D, Danopoulos S, Schall K, Sala F, Almohazey D, Fernandez G, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 10 alters the balance between goblet and Paneth cells in the adult mouse small intestine. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2015;308:G678-90 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to determine the mechanism by which Fgf10 alters cell differentiation in the small intestine. ..
- Chen L, Cui X, Li P, Feng C, Wang L, Wang H, et al. Suppression of MicroRNA-219-5p Activates Keratinocyte Growth Factor to Mitigate Severity of Experimental Cirrhosis. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2016;40:253-262 pubmedb>Keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) plays a critical role in prevention of cirrhosis and enhancement of liver regeneration. However, the molecular regulation of KGF in liver is unknown...
- Kera H, Yuki S, Nogawa H. FGF7 signals are relayed to autocrine EGF family growth factors to induce branching morphogenesis of mouse salivary epithelium. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:552-9 pubmed publisher..mouse submandibular gland undergoes branching morphogenesis when cultured in medium supplemented with fibroblast growth factor 7 (FGF7) and lysophosphatidic acid (LPA), whereas it elongates a stalk with limited branching in medium ..
- Kitsberg D, Leder P. Keratinocyte growth factor induces mammary and prostatic hyperplasia and mammary adenocarcinoma in transgenic mice. Oncogene. 1996;13:2507-15 pubmed..Using this approach we identified a member of the FGF family, kgf (fgf7), as a gene that is strongly upregulated in an int-2-containing mammary tumor...
- Piscione T, Rosenblum N. The malformed kidney: disruption of glomerular and tubular development. Clin Genet. 1999;56:341-56 pubmed
- van Tuyl M, Groenman F, Wang J, Kuliszewski M, Liu J, Tibboel D, et al. Angiogenic factors stimulate tubular branching morphogenesis of sonic hedgehog-deficient lungs. Dev Biol. 2007;303:514-26 pubmed..Stimulation of vascularization with angiogenic factors such as Fgf2 and Ang1 partially restored tubular growth and branching in Shh-deficient lungs, suggesting that vascularization is required for branching morphogenesis. ..
- Garcia C, Huang J, Madakashira B, Liu Y, Rajagopal R, Dattilo L, et al. The function of FGF signaling in the lens placode. Dev Biol. 2011;351:176-85 pubmed publisher..Since the expression of proteins required for lens formation was not altered in the knockout placode cells, we can conclude that FGF signaling from the optic vesicle is not required for lens induction. ..
- Zhu X, Liu Y, Dai Z, Zhang X, Yang X, Li Y, et al. BMP-FGF signaling axis mediates Wnt-induced epidermal stratification in developing mammalian skin. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004687 pubmed publisher..Non-cell autonomous BMP4 promotes activation of FGF7 and FGF10 signaling, leading to an increase in proliferative basal cell population...
- Trowbridge J, Rudisill J, Ron D, Gallo R. Dermatan sulfate binds and potentiates activity of keratinocyte growth factor (FGF-7). J Biol Chem. 2002;277:42815-20 pubmed..In addition, dermatan sulfate and FGF-7 stimulated growth of normal keratinocytes in culture. Thus, dermatan sulfate, the predominant glycosaminoglycan in skin, is the principle cofactor for FGF-7. ..
- Ørskov C, Hartmann B, Poulsen S, Thulesen J, Hare K, Holst J. GLP-2 stimulates colonic growth via KGF, released by subepithelial myofibroblasts with GLP-2 receptors. Regul Pept. 2005;124:105-12 pubmed..labelling we found that these GLP-2 receptor immunoreactive cells also produce smooth muscle actin and keratinocyte growth factor (KGF)...
- Lu Y, Pan Z, Devaux Y, Ray P. p21-activated protein kinase 4 (PAK4) interacts with the keratinocyte growth factor receptor and participates in keratinocyte growth factor-mediated inhibition of oxidant-induced cell death. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:10374-80 pubmedb>Keratinocyte growth factor (KGF), a member of the fibroblast growth factor (FGF) family (also known as FGF-7), is an important protective factor for epithelial cells...
- Lovicu F, Kao W, Overbeek P. Ectopic gland induction by lens-specific expression of keratinocyte growth factor (FGF-7) in transgenic mice. Mech Dev. 1999;88:43-53 pubmed..b>Keratinocyte growth factor (KGF), a member of the fibroblast growth factor (FGF) family, is a mesenchymally-derived mitogen for ..
- Sharma B, Handler M, Eichstetter I, Whitelock J, Nugent M, Iozzo R. Antisense targeting of perlecan blocks tumor growth and angiogenesis in vivo. J Clin Invest. 1998;102:1599-608 pubmed..gene expression and these effects correlated with reduced responsiveness to and affinity for mitogenic keratinocyte growth factor (FGF-7)...
- Rosenquist T, Martin G. Fibroblast growth factor signalling in the hair growth cycle: expression of the fibroblast growth factor receptor and ligand genes in the murine hair follicle. Dev Dyn. 1996;205:379-86 pubmed..study we have also assayed for the expression of six other members of the FGF ligand gene family, Fgf3, Fgf4, Fgf6, Fgf7, Fgf8, and Fgf9. Among these FGF genes, only Fgf7 was found to be expressed in the hair follicle...
- Ozawa K, Uruno T, Miyakawa K, Seo M, Imamura T. Expression of the fibroblast growth factor family and their receptor family genes during mouse brain development. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1996;41:279-88 pubmed..e., proliferation and migration of neuronal progenitor cells, neuron and glia differentiation, neurite extensions, and synapse formations. ..
- Valenti G, Quinn H, Heynen G, Lan L, Holland J, Vogel R, et al. Cancer Stem Cells Regulate Cancer-Associated Fibroblasts via Activation of Hedgehog Signaling in Mammary Gland Tumors. Cancer Res. 2017;77:2134-2147 pubmed publisher..Targeting CAFs with Hedgehog inhibitors may offer a novel therapeutic strategy against breast cancer. Cancer Res; 77(8); 2134-47. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Cai Y, Wang W, Liang H, Sun L, Teitelbaum D, Yang H. Keratinocyte growth factor pretreatment prevents radiation-induced intestinal damage in a mouse model. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2013;48:419-26 pubmed publisherRadiation-induced gastrointestinal syndrome is usually severe in clinical practice. Keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) plays an important role in the intestinal mucosal growth and repair of intestinal injury...
- Du W, Prochazka J, Prochazkova M, Klein O. Expression of FGFs during early mouse tongue development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2016;20:81-7 pubmed publisher..5 and E14.5. During this period, Fgf5, Fgf6, Fgf7, Fgf9, Fgf10, Fgf13, Fgf15, Fgf16 and Fgf18 could all be detected with various intensities in the mesenchyme, ..
- Kato H, Chen S, Kiyama H, Ikeda K, Kimura N, Nakashima K, et al. Identification of a novel WD repeat-containing gene predominantly expressed in developing and regenerating neurons. J Biochem. 2000;128:923-32 pubmed..These results suggest that the product of this gene might be involved in the development of sensory neurons as well as the regeneration of motor neurons. ..
- Cai Y, Wang W, Yang Y, Sun L, Teitelbaum D, Yang H. Up-regulation of intestinal epithelial cell derived IL-7 expression by keratinocyte growth factor through STAT1/IRF-1, IRF-2 pathway. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58647 pubmed publisher..role in control of development and homeostasis of neighboring intraepithelial lymphocytes (IEL), and keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) exerts protective effects on intestinal epithelial cells and up-regulates EC-derived IL-7 ..
- Sun D, Yeh C, So E, Wang L, Wei T, Chang M, et al. Interleukin (IL)-19 promoted skin wound healing by increasing fibroblast keratinocyte growth factor expression. Cytokine. 2013;62:360-8 pubmed publisher..IL-19 and keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) mRNA in wounded skin were determined using real-time PCR...
- Zhao F, Franco H, Rodriguez K, Brown P, Tsai M, Tsai S, et al. Elimination of the male reproductive tract in the female embryo is promoted by COUP-TFII in mice. Science. 2017;357:717-720 pubmed publisher..We thus suggest that elimination of Wolffian ducts in female embryos is actively promoted by COUP-TFII, which suppresses a mesenchyme-epithelium cross-talk responsible for Wolffian duct maintenance. ..
- Lee C, Javed D, Althaus A, Parent J, Umemori H. Neurogenesis is enhanced and mossy fiber sprouting arises in FGF7-deficient mice during development. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2012;51:61-7 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, FGF7 knockout mice are prone to epileptic seizures induced by chemical kindling (Terauchi et al., 2010)...
- Nie X. Developmentally regulated expression of MSX1, MSX2 and Fgfs in the developing mouse cranial base. Angle Orthod. 2006;76:990-5 pubmed..from the time of ossification; Fgf10 was highly expressed in the occipital-vertebral joint during E13 to E14; Fgf2, Fgf7, and Fgf18 were localized in the perichondria; Fgf12 was transitorily expressed at early chondrocranium; Fgf9 was ..
- Mercado A, Quan N, Padgett D, Sheridan J, Marucha P. Restraint stress alters the expression of interleukin-1 and keratinocyte growth factor at the wound site: an in situ hybridization study. J Neuroimmunol. 2002;129:74-83 pubmed..This murine study evaluated the effect of restraint stress (RST) on interleukin-1 (IL-1) and keratinocyte growth factor-1 (KGF-1) gene expression in cutaneous wounds by in situ hybridization...
- Wildhaber B, Yang H, Teitelbaum D. Keratinocyte growth factor decreases total parenteral nutrition-induced apoptosis in mouse intestinal epithelium via Bcl-2. J Pediatr Surg. 2003;38:92-6; discussion 92-6 pubmedTotal parenteral nutrition (TPN) induces epithelial cell (EC) apoptosis. Keratinocyte Growth Factor (KGF) increases EC-growth; however, little is known of its effect on apoptosis...
- Rossi S, Blazar B, Farrell C, Danilenko D, Lacey D, Weinberg K, et al. Keratinocyte growth factor preserves normal thymopoiesis and thymic microenvironment during experimental graft-versus-host disease. Blood. 2002;100:682-91 pubmed..To determine whether cytoprotection of thymic epithelial cells (TECs) by keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) averts GVHD-related injury to the thymus, a nonirradiated murine parent-->F(1) transplantation ..