Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Fgf6
Description: fibroblast growth factor 6
Alias: Fgf-6, HSTF-2, fibroblast growth factor 6, HBGF-6, HST-2, heparin secretory-transforming protein 2, heparin-binding growth factor 6
- Umemori H, Linhoff M, Ornitz D, Sanes J. FGF22 and its close relatives are presynaptic organizing molecules in the mammalian brain. Cell. 2004;118:257-70 pubmed..Inactivation of FGFR2 has similar effects. These results indicate that FGF22 and its relatives are presynaptic organizing molecules in the mammalian brain and suggest new functions for this family of signaling molecules. ..
- Wang Y, Schnegelsberg P, Dausman J, Jaenisch R. Functional redundancy of the muscle-specific transcription factors Myf5 and myogenin. Nature. 1996;379:823-5 pubmed..We report here that mice homozygous for this myogenin gene knock-in (ki) developed a normal rib cage and were viable, therefore demonstrating functional redundancy of Myf5 and myogenin for rib formation. ..
- Muenke M, Schell U. Fibroblast-growth-factor receptor mutations in human skeletal disorders. Trends Genet. 1995;11:308-13 pubmed..Comparison of these specific mutations with the resulting phenotypes is now providing new insight into the role of these receptors in normal and abnormal bone development. ..
- Grass S, Arnold H, Braun T. Alterations in somite patterning of Myf-5-deficient mice: a possible role for FGF-4 and FGF-6. Development. 1996;122:141-50 pubmed
- Coulier F, Pizette S, Ollendorff V, Delapeyriere O, Birnbaum D. The human and mouse fibroblast growth factor 6 (FGF6) genes and their products: possible implication in muscle development. Prog Growth Factor Res. 1994;5:1-14 pubmedb>FGF6 is structurally very similar to the other members of the FGF gene family, and particularly to the FGF4 gene, which was instrumental in its isolation...
- Grifone R, Demignon J, Houbron C, Souil E, Niro C, Seller M, et al. Six1 and Six4 homeoproteins are required for Pax3 and Mrf expression during myogenesis in the mouse embryo. Development. 2005;132:2235-49 pubmed..of scleraxis is reduced in the Six1Six4 embryo, while the myotomal expression of Fgfr4 and Fgf8 but not Fgf4 and Fgf6 is maintained. These results highlight the different roles played by Six proteins during skeletal myogenesis.
- Tallquist M, Weismann K, Hellstrom M, Soriano P. Early myotome specification regulates PDGFA expression and axial skeleton development. Development. 2000;127:5059-70 pubmed..These results underscore the importance of growth factor signaling within the developing somite and suggest an important role for myogenic determination factors in orchestrating normal development of the axial skeleton. ..
- Pathak B, Shaughnessy J, Meneton P, Greeb J, Shull G, Jenkins N, et al. Mouse chromosomal location of three epithelial sodium channel subunit genes and an apical sodium chloride cotransporter gene. Genomics. 1996;33:124-7 pubmed..These loci map to previously defined homologous regions between human and mouse chromosomes and provide additional information regarding human/mouse comparative mapping. ..
- Han A, Zhao H, Li J, Pelikan R, Chai Y. ALK5-mediated transforming growth factor ? signaling in neural crest cells controls craniofacial muscle development via tissue-tissue interactions. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:3120-31 pubmed publisher..In addition, Fgf4 and Fgf6 ligands were reduced in Wnt1-Cre; Alk5(fl/fl) mice and are critical for differentiation of the myogenic cells...
- Floss T, Arnold H, Braun T. A role for FGF-6 in skeletal muscle regeneration. Genes Dev. 1997;11:2040-51 pubmed..We conclude that FGF-6 is a critical component of the muscle regeneration machinery in mammals, possibly by stimulating or activating satellite cells. ..
- Hogan A, Heyner S, Charron M, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, et al. Glucose transporter gene expression in early mouse embryos. Development. 1991;113:363-72 pubmed..Genetic mapping studies of glucose transporters in the mouse show that Glut-1 is located on chromosome 4, Glut-2 on chromosome 3, Glut-3 on chromosome 6, and Glut-4 on chromosome 11. ..
- Asada M, Shinomiya M, Suzuki M, Honda E, Sugimoto R, Ikekita M, et al. Glycosaminoglycan affinity of the complete fibroblast growth factor family. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1790:40-8 pubmed publisher..This is noteworthy, as the differential interactions of these growth factors with GAGs may be key determinants of their specific biological activities. ..
- Brent A, Braun T, Tabin C. Genetic analysis of interactions between the somitic muscle, cartilage and tendon cell lineages during mouse development. Development. 2005;132:515-28 pubmed
- Bogani D, Warr N, Elms P, Davies J, Tymowska Lalanne Z, Goldsworthy M, et al. New semidominant mutations that affect mouse development. Genesis. 2004;40:109-117 pubmed..In one coat spotting mutant the homozygous condition is lethal before neural crest cell production commences. The mutated genes often function in processes additional to those alluded to by the heterozygous phenotype. ..
- Mattei M, Pebusque M, Birnbaum D. Chromosomal localizations of mouse Fgf2 and Fgf5 genes. Mamm Genome. 1992;2:135-7 pubmed
- Takase H, Itoh T, Ino S, Wang T, Koji T, Akira S, et al. FGF7 is a functional niche signal required for stimulation of adult liver progenitor cells that support liver regeneration. Genes Dev. 2013;27:169-81 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the cellular and molecular basis for LPC regulation and identify FGF7 as a potential therapeutic target for liver diseases. ..
- Foroni L, Boehm T, White L, Forster A, Sherrington P, Liao X, et al. The rhombotin gene family encode related LIM-domain proteins whose differing expression suggests multiple roles in mouse development. J Mol Biol. 1992;226:747-61 pubmed..These results suggest multiple cellular targets for the action of these proteins during development. ..
- de Lapeyriere O, Rosnet O, Benharroch D, Raybaud F, Marchetto S, Planche J, et al. Structure, chromosome mapping and expression of the murine Fgf-6 gene. Oncogene. 1990;5:823-31 pubmed..5 of gestation, moderate levels during late gestation and in the neonate. In the adult, Fgf-6 mRNA can be detected in testis, heart and skeletal muscle. ..
- Ziegler S, Levin S, Johnson L, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, et al. The mouse CD69 gene. Structure, expression, and mapping to the NK gene complex. J Immunol. 1994;152:1228-36 pubmed..The human CD69 gene mapped to chromosome 12p13 near the related NKG2 gene cluster and in a region associated with rearrangements in approximately 10% of cases of childhood acute lymphocytic leukemia. ..
- Machka C, Kersten M, Zobawa M, Harder A, Horsch M, Halder T, et al. Identification of Dll1 (Delta1) target genes during mouse embryogenesis using differential expression profiling. Gene Expr Patterns. 2005;6:94-101 pubmed..The large set of regulated genes identified in this differential expression profiling approach is an important resource for further functional studies. ..
- Wright T, Hatch E, Karabagli H, Karabagli P, Schoenwolf G, Mansour S. Expression of mouse fibroblast growth factor and fibroblast growth factor receptor genes during early inner ear development. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:267-72 pubmed..Fgf16 was expressed in the posterior otic cup and vesicle, suggesting roles in otic cell fate decisions and/or axis formation. ..
- Bachler M, Neubüser A. Expression of members of the Fgf family and their receptors during midfacial development. Mech Dev. 2001;100:313-6 pubmed..5. In contrast to the restricted expression patterns of the ligands, FgfR1 and FgfR2 were broadly expressed in facial mesenchyme and ectoderm, respectively, indicating a wide competence of midfacial tissue to respond to FGF signaling. ..
- Nagasawa M, Sakimura K, Mori K, Bedell M, Copeland N, Jenkins N, et al. Gene structure and chromosomal localization of the mouse NMDA receptor channel subunits. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1996;36:1-11 pubmed..Each of these genes mapped to a single chromosome location. The mapping results assigned the five loci to five different mouse autosomes, indicating that they have become well dispersed among mouse chromosomes. ..
- Hajihosseini M, Heath J. Expression patterns of fibroblast growth factors-18 and -20 in mouse embryos is suggestive of novel roles in calvarial and limb development. Mech Dev. 2002;113:79-83 pubmed
- Melloy P, Ewart J, Cohen M, Desmond M, Kuehn M, Lo C. No turning, a mouse mutation causing left-right and axial patterning defects. Dev Biol. 1998;193:77-89 pubmed..Overall, these findings support the hypothesis that the notochord plays an active role in left/right patterning. Our results suggest that nt may participate in this process by modulating the notochordal expression of HNF-3 beta. ..
- Goodwin R, Anderson D, Jerzy R, Davis T, Brannan C, Copeland N, et al. Molecular cloning and expression of the type 1 and type 2 murine receptors for tumor necrosis factor. Mol Cell Biol. 1991;11:3020-6 pubmed..The murine cDNAs were further used to determine the chromosomal locations of the TNF receptor genes. They are not linked, in contrast to the ligands, and map to chromosomes 4 (type 1) and 6 (type 2). ..
- Li J, Wang Q, Cui Y, Yang X, Li Y, Zhang X, et al. Suppressor of Fused Is Required for Determining Digit Number and Identity via Gli3/Fgfs/Gremlin. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0128006 pubmed publisher..Thus, we provide evidence that Sufu is involved in the genetic network that restricts the posterior expression of Gli2/3/Hand2 and Gremlin/Fgf in limb bud patterning. ..
- Fiore F, Planche J, Gibier P, Sebille A, Delapeyriere O, Birnbaum D. Apparent normal phenotype of Fgf6-/- mice. Int J Dev Biol. 1997;41:639-42 pubmed..expression is restricted to skeletal muscle, we have derived mouse mutants with a homozygous disruption of the Fgf6 gene...
- Israeli D, Benchaouir R, Ziaei S, Rameau P, Gruszczynski C, Peltekian E, et al. FGF6 mediated expansion of a resident subset of cells with SP phenotype in the C2C12 myogenic line. J Cell Physiol. 2004;201:409-19 pubmedb>Fibroblast growth factor 6 (FGF6) is selectively expressed during muscle development and regeneration. We examined its effect on muscle precursor cells (mpc) by forcing stable FGF6 expression in C2C12 cells in vitro...
- Delapeyriere O, Ollendorff V, Planche J, Ott M, Pizette S, Coulier F, et al. Expression of the Fgf6 gene is restricted to developing skeletal muscle in the mouse embryo. Development. 1993;118:601-11 pubmedb>Fgf6, a member of the Fibroblast Growth Factor (FGF) family, is developmentally regulated and its expression is highly restricted in the adult...
- Han D, Zhao H, Parada C, Hacia J, Bringas P, Chai Y. A TGF?-Smad4-Fgf6 signaling cascade controls myogenic differentiation and myoblast fusion during tongue development. Development. 2012;139:1640-50 pubmed publisher..loss of Smad4 results in a significant reduction in expression of several members of the FGF family, including Fgf6 and Fgfr4. Exogenous Fgf6 partially rescues the tongue myoblast fusion defect of Myf5-Cre;Smad4(flox/flox) mice...
- Laziz I, Ferry A, Armand A, Gallien C, Gaspera B, Charbonnier F, et al. Eccentric stimulation reveals an involvement of FGF6 in muscle resistance to mechanical stress. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2011;111:1507-15 pubmed publisherThe objective of this report was to analyse a potential role for FGF6 in muscle resistance to mechanical stress...
- Han J, Martin G. Embryonic expression of Fgf-6 is restricted to the skeletal muscle lineage. Dev Biol. 1993;158:549-54 pubmed..These results are discussed in comparison with what is known about the expression patterns of the genes encoding other FGF family members, as well as their high-affinity receptors. ..
- Mizuta R, LaSalle J, Cheng H, Shinohara A, Ogawa H, Copeland N, et al. RAB22 and RAB163/mouse BRCA2: proteins that specifically interact with the RAD51 protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:6927-32 pubmed..To detect RAD51 interactions in vivo, we developed a transient nuclear focus assay that was used to demonstrate a complete colocalization of RAB22 with RAD51 in large nuclear foci. ..
- Laziz I, Armand A, Pariset C, Lecolle S, Della Gaspera B, Charbonnier F, et al. Sprouty gene expression is regulated by nerve and FGF6 during regeneration of mouse muscles. Growth Factors. 2007;25:151-9 pubmed..we performed cardiotoxin injury-induced regeneration experiments on soleus muscles of both, adult control and FGF6 ( - / - ) mutant mice and analyzed the accumulation of Spry (1, 2 and 4) transcripts using semi-quantitative and ..
- Ludwig T, Ruther U, Metzger R, Copeland N, Jenkins N, Lobel P, et al. Gene and pseudogene of the mouse cation-dependent mannose 6-phosphate receptor. Genomic organization, expression, and chromosomal localization. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:12211-9 pubmed..Therefore, it may represent an additional exon of the functional gene. These two features of the pseudogene suggest that expression of the CD-MPR gene may be regulated by use of different promoters and/or alternative splicing. ..
- Ollendorff V, Rosnet O, Marics I, Birnbaum D, Delapeyriere O. Isolation and sequence of the murine Fgf6 cDNA. Biochimie. 1992;74:1035-8 pubmedWe have studied the structure of the murine Fgf6 gene encoding a fibroblast growth factor with the purpose of looking for putative regulatory sequences in the 5' and 3' non-coding regions...
- Uehara T. Localization of FGF-6 and FGFR-4 during prenatal and early postnatal development of the mouse sublingual gland. J Oral Sci. 2006;48:9-14 pubmed..These findings suggest that FGF-6/FGFR-4 might be involved in the changes of secretory granule content of acinar cells in the sublingual gland during the late gestational and early neonatal stages. ..
- Ozawa K, Uruno T, Miyakawa K, Seo M, Imamura T. Expression of the fibroblast growth factor family and their receptor family genes during mouse brain development. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1996;41:279-88 pubmed..e., proliferation and migration of neuronal progenitor cells, neuron and glia differentiation, neurite extensions, and synapse formations. ..
- Ozawa K, Seo M, Imamura T. A quantitative method for evaluation of FGF family and FGF receptor family gene expression by RT-PCR. Brain Res Brain Res Protoc. 1997;1:211-6 pubmed
- Vidrich A, Buzan J, Ilo C, Bradley L, Skaar K, Cohn S. Fibroblast growth factor receptor-3 is expressed in undifferentiated intestinal epithelial cells during murine crypt morphogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:114-23 pubmed..These data suggest that signaling through FGFR-3 plays a role in regulating morphogenic events involved in formation of intestinal crypts and/or the fate of epithelial stem cells. ..
- Hsu D, Guo Y, Alberts G, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, et al. Identification of a murine TEF-1-related gene expressed after mitogenic stimulation of quiescent fibroblasts and during myogenic differentiation. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:13786-95 pubmed..These results indicate that increased expression of a TEF-1-related protein may be important for both mitogen-stimulated fibroblast proliferation and skeletal muscle cell differentiation. ..
- Patapoutian A, Yoon J, Miner J, Wang S, Stark K, Wold B. Disruption of the mouse MRF4 gene identifies multiple waves of myogenesis in the myotome. Development. 1995;121:3347-58 pubmed..Finally, a later and relatively mild phenotype was detected in intercostal muscles of newborn animals. ..
- Rosenquist T, Martin G. Fibroblast growth factor signalling in the hair growth cycle: expression of the fibroblast growth factor receptor and ligand genes in the murine hair follicle. Dev Dyn. 1996;205:379-86 pubmed..study we have also assayed for the expression of six other members of the FGF ligand gene family, Fgf3, Fgf4, Fgf6, Fgf7, Fgf8, and Fgf9. Among these FGF genes, only Fgf7 was found to be expressed in the hair follicle...