Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Fgf5
Description: fibroblast growth factor 5
Alias: Fgf-5, HBGF-5, angora, fibroblast growth factor 5, heparin-binding growth factor 5
- Hebert J, Basilico C, Goldfarb M, Haub O, Martin G. Isolation of cDNAs encoding four mouse FGF family members and characterization of their expression patterns during embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 1990;138:454-63 pubmed..5 to 17.5 days of gestation. Fgfk appears to be specific to undifferentiated teratocarcinoma stem cells. Fgf5 transcripts were detected at every stage and in every tissue tested, but showed a dramatic 15-fold increase in ..
- Hulsebos T, Gilbert D, Delattre O, Smink L, Dunham I, Westerveld A, et al. Assignment of the beta B1 crystallin gene (CRYBB1) to human chromosome 22 and mouse chromosome 5. Genomics. 1995;29:712-8 pubmed..These assignments complete the mapping and identification of the human and mouse homologues of the major beta crystallins genes that are expressed in the bovine lens. ..
- Goldin S, Papaioannou V. Paracrine action of FGF4 during periimplantation development maintains trophectoderm and primitive endoderm. Genesis. 2003;36:40-7 pubmed..Thus, postimplantation lethality of Fgf4(-/-) embryos likely results from the failure of proper differentiation and function of extraembryonic cell types. ..
- Hajihosseini M, Heath J. Expression patterns of fibroblast growth factors-18 and -20 in mouse embryos is suggestive of novel roles in calvarial and limb development. Mech Dev. 2002;113:79-83 pubmed
- Drucker B, Goldfarb M. Murine FGF-4 gene expression is spatially restricted within embryonic skeletal muscle and other tissues. Mech Dev. 1993;40:155-63 pubmed
- Pennycuik P, Raphael K. The angora locus (go) in the mouse: hair morphology, duration of growth cycle and site of action. Genet Res. 1984;44:283-91 pubmed
- Rossant J, Ciruna B, Partanen J. FGF signaling in mouse gastrulation and anteroposterior patterning. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1997;62:127-33 pubmed
- Koniukhov B, Berdaliev A. [An analysis of the expression of the mutant angora-Y gene in the mouse]. Ontogenez. 1990;21:502-7 pubmedWe studied the rate and duration of the growth of G1 and G3 hairs in mice homozygous for angora-Y mutant gene (goY). The follicular diameter of G3 hairs and the growth rate of G1 and G3 hairs in goY/goY mice do not differ from normal...
- Baskaran K, Erfurth F, Taborn G, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, et al. Cloning and developmental expression of the murine homolog of the acute leukemia proto-oncogene AF4. Oncogene. 1997;15:1967-78 pubmed..Among the cell types where this pattern of down-regulation is noted are B-lymphocytes. These findings raise the possibility that the disruption of normal AF4 function by the translocation may contribute to leukemogenesis. ..
- Hanaka H, Hamada T, Ito M, Nakashima H, Tomita K, Seki S, et al. Fibroblast growth factor-5 participates in the progression of hepatic fibrosis. Exp Anim. 2014;63:85-92 pubmed..In particular, FGF5 is associated with high blood pressure...
- Sun X, Meyers E, Lewandoski M, Martin G. Targeted disruption of Fgf8 causes failure of cell migration in the gastrulating mouse embryo. Genes Dev. 1999;13:1834-46 pubmed..This study identifies Fgf8 as a gene essential for gastrulation and shows that signaling via FGF8 and/or FGF4 is required for cell migration away from the primitive streak. ..
- Moscoso L, Cremer H, Sanes J. Organization and reorganization of neuromuscular junctions in mice lacking neural cell adhesion molecule, tenascin-C, or fibroblast growth factor-5. J Neurosci. 1998;18:1465-77 pubmed..Again, no significant differences among genotypes were observed. Together, these results demonstrate that N-CAM, tenascin-C, and FGF-5 are dispensable for major aspects of synaptic development and regeneration. ..
- Bachler M, Neubüser A. Expression of members of the Fgf family and their receptors during midfacial development. Mech Dev. 2001;100:313-6 pubmed..5. In contrast to the restricted expression patterns of the ligands, FgfR1 and FgfR2 were broadly expressed in facial mesenchyme and ectoderm, respectively, indicating a wide competence of midfacial tissue to respond to FGF signaling. ..
- Liao X, Buchberg A, Jenkins N, Copeland N. Evi-5, a common site of retroviral integration in AKXD T-cell lymphomas, maps near Gfi-1 on mouse chromosome 5. J Virol. 1995;69:7132-7 pubmed..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that T-cell lymphomagenesis is a multistep disease and that viral integration at Evi-5 or Gfi-1 is causally associated with this disease process. ..
- Fujio K, Nosaka T, Kojima T, Kawashima T, Yahata T, Copeland N, et al. Molecular cloning of a novel type 1 cytokine receptor similar to the common gamma chain. Blood. 2000;95:2204-10 pubmed..These results suggest that delta1 is a subunit of cytokine receptor that may be involved in multiple receptor systems and play a regulatory role in the immune system and hematopoiesis. ..
- Tomaz R, Harman J, Karimlou D, Weavers L, Fritsch L, Bou Kheir T, et al. Jmjd2c facilitates the assembly of essential enhancer-protein complexes at the onset of embryonic stem cell differentiation. Development. 2017;144:567-579 pubmed publisher..These findings unveil Jmjd2c and G9a as novel enhancer-associated factors, and implicate Jmjd2c as a molecular scaffold for the assembly of essential enhancer-protein complexes with an impact on timely gene activation. ..
- George A, Gui J, Jenkins N, Gilbert D, Copeland N, Veis A. In situ localization and chromosomal mapping of the AG1 (Dmp1) gene. J Histochem Cytochem. 1994;42:1527-31 pubmed..Chromosomal localization studies placed the AG1 gene on mouse chromosome 5q21, in tight linkage with Fgf5. AG1 has been renamed Dmp1 (dentin matrix protein 1) in accordance with present chromosomal nomenclature...
- Mesnard D, Constam D. Imaging proprotein convertase activities and their regulation in the implanting mouse blastocyst. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:129-39 pubmed publisher..The unprecedented sensitivity and spatial resolution of CLIP opens exciting new possibilities to elucidate PC functions in vivo. ..
- Hulsebos T, Jenkins N, Gilbert D, Copeland N. The beta crystallin genes on human chromosome 22 define a new region of homology with mouse chromosome 5. Genomics. 1995;25:574-6 pubmed..e., Crybb2, Crybb3, and Cryba4) to the central region of mouse chromosome 5. The homologue of human CRYBB2P1 is absent in mouse. These assignments define a new region of homology in human and mouse. ..
- Holdener B, Faust C, Rosenthal N, Magnuson T. msd is required for mesoderm induction in mice. Development. 1994;120:1335-46 pubmed..Thus, the effects of the msd mutation are restricted to mesoderm formation and could result from the inability to respond to an inducing signal. ..
- Oda M, Oxley D, Dean W, Reik W. Regulation of lineage specific DNA hypomethylation in mouse trophectoderm. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68846 pubmed publisher..This resistance may be based on transcription factors or on global differences in chromatin structure. ..
- George A, Bannon L, Sabsay B, Dillon J, Malone J, Veis A, et al. The carboxyl-terminal domain of phosphophoryn contains unique extended triplet amino acid repeat sequences forming ordered carboxyl-phosphate interaction ridges that may be essential in the biomineralization process. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:32869-73 pubmed..These two domains and the colocalization of Dmp1 and Dmp2 genes at a position equivalent to the dentinogenesis imperfecta type II location on human 4q21 all suggest that the PPs are indeed involved in some aspect of ECM mineralization. ..
- Du W, Prochazka J, Prochazkova M, Klein O. Expression of FGFs during early mouse tongue development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2016;20:81-7 pubmed publisher..5 and E14.5. During this period, Fgf5, Fgf6, Fgf7, Fgf9, Fgf10, Fgf13, Fgf15, Fgf16 and Fgf18 could all be detected with various intensities in the ..
- Guzman Ayala M, Sachs M, Koh F, Onodera C, Bulut Karslioglu A, Lin C, et al. Chd1 is essential for the high transcriptional output and rapid growth of the mouse epiblast. Development. 2015;142:118-27 pubmed publisher..Thus, the RNA output by both Pol I and II is reduced in Chd1(-/-) cells. Our data indicate that Chd1 promotes a globally elevated transcriptional output required to sustain the distinctly rapid growth of the mouse epiblast. ..
- Nesterova A, Nizamutdinov I, Koniukhov B. [Interaction of mutant genes Fgf5(go-Y), we, and wal changes the duration of hair growth cycles in mice]. Ontogenez. 2012;43:60-5 pubmed..The current paper is devoted to a study of mutant gene angora- Y(Fgf5(go-Y)), which had extended anagen stage of the first and second generations hair growth cycles in triple ..
- Muenke M, Schell U. Fibroblast-growth-factor receptor mutations in human skeletal disorders. Trends Genet. 1995;11:308-13 pubmed..Comparison of these specific mutations with the resulting phenotypes is now providing new insight into the role of these receptors in normal and abnormal bone development. ..
- Pena J, Kelekar A, Fuchs E, Thompson C. Manipulation of outer root sheath cell survival perturbs the hair-growth cycle. EMBO J. 1999;18:3596-603 pubmed..Thus, the production of growth inhibitory factors by ORS cells may provide a mechanism through which the hair-growth cycle is regulated by cell survival. ..
- Su H, Trombly M, Chen J, Wang X. Essential and overlapping functions for mammalian Argonautes in microRNA silencing. Genes Dev. 2009;23:304-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results demonstrate that mammalian Agos all contribute to miRNA silencing, and individual Agos have largely overlapping functions in this process. ..
- Ota Y, Saitoh Y, Suzuki S, Ozawa K, Kawano M, Imamura T. Fibroblast growth factor 5 inhibits hair growth by blocking dermal papilla cell activation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;290:169-76 pubmed..Dermal papillae thus appear to require activation before they will efficiently stimulate hair growth, and FGF-5 appears to inhibit hair growth and induce catagen by blocking that activation. ..
- Pelton T, Sharma S, Schulz T, Rathjen J, Rathjen P. Transient pluripotent cell populations during primitive ectoderm formation: correlation of in vivo and in vitro pluripotent cell development. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:329-39 pubmed..Detailed mapping of these genes with Oct4, Rex1 and Fgf5 on pregastrulation embryos provided the first molecular evidence for the existence of successive, temporally ..
- Rosenquist T, Martin G. Fibroblast growth factor signalling in the hair growth cycle: expression of the fibroblast growth factor receptor and ligand genes in the murine hair follicle. Dev Dyn. 1996;205:379-86 pubmed..No RNA expression of these genes was detected during late catagen or telogen. We have previously shown that Fgf5 is expressed in the outer root sheath in the transient portion of the follicle (Hébert et al...
- Koniukhov B, Nesterova A, Malinina N. [The angora gene weakens the effect of interaction of the mutant genes wellhaarig and waved alopecia in mice]. Genetika. 2009;45:717-20 pubmed..It has been found in this work that the mutant gene angora-Y (Fgf5(go-Y)) weakens the effect of interaction of the we and wal genes...
- Vidrich A, Buzan J, Ilo C, Bradley L, Skaar K, Cohn S. Fibroblast growth factor receptor-3 is expressed in undifferentiated intestinal epithelial cells during murine crypt morphogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:114-23 pubmed..These data suggest that signaling through FGFR-3 plays a role in regulating morphogenic events involved in formation of intestinal crypts and/or the fate of epithelial stem cells. ..
- Ozawa K, Suzuki S, Asada M, Tomooka Y, Li A, Yoneda A, et al. An alternatively spliced fibroblast growth factor (FGF)-5 mRNA is abundant in brain and translates into a partial agonist/antagonist for FGF-5 neurotrophic activity. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:29262-71 pubmed..These results suggest that FGF-5S is a naturally expressed partial agonist/antagonist of FGF-5 neurotrophic activity in the brain and that its effects are exerted in part at the level of the receptor. ..
- Haub O, Drucker B, Goldfarb M. Expression of the murine fibroblast growth factor 5 gene in the adult central nervous system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:8022-6 pubmed..Neuronal expression accounts for at least some of the FGF-5 RNA synthesized in the central nervous system. ..
- Ozawa K, Uruno T, Miyakawa K, Seo M, Imamura T. Expression of the fibroblast growth factor family and their receptor family genes during mouse brain development. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1996;41:279-88 pubmed..e., proliferation and migration of neuronal progenitor cells, neuron and glia differentiation, neurite extensions, and synapse formations. ..
- Vickers P, O Neill G, Mancini J, Charleson S, Abramovitz M. Cross-species comparison of 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein. Mol Pharmacol. 1992;42:1014-9 pubmed..Two regions of the protein are almost totally conserved among all of the species analyzed. This suggests that these regions have functional significance and may be involved in inhibitor binding...
- Hart A, Baeza N, Apelqvist A, Edlund H. Attenuation of FGF signalling in mouse beta-cells leads to diabetes. Nature. 2000;408:864-8 pubmed..Here we show that the FGF receptors (FGFRs) 1 and 2, together with the ligands FGF1, FGF2, FGF4, FGF5, FGF7 and FGF10, are expressed in adult mouse beta-cells, indicating that FGF signalling may have a role in ..
- Ito C, Saitoh Y, Fujita Y, Yamazaki Y, Imamura T, Oka S, et al. Decapeptide with fibroblast growth factor (FGF)-5 partial sequence inhibits hair growth suppressing activity of FGF-5. J Cell Physiol. 2003;197:272-83 pubmed
- Liao X, Du Y, Morse H, Jenkins N, Copeland N. Proviral integrations at the Evi5 locus disrupt a novel 90 kDa protein with homology to the Tre2 oncogene and cell-cycle regulatory proteins. Oncogene. 1997;14:1023-9 pubmed..Evi5 thus encodes a gene separate from Gfi1 that may also be involved in T-cell disease. ..
- Mason I, Fuller Pace F, Smith R, Dickson C. FGF-7 (keratinocyte growth factor) expression during mouse development suggests roles in myogenesis, forebrain regionalisation and epithelial-mesenchymal interactions. Mech Dev. 1994;45:15-30 pubmed..Our results suggest that FGF-7 is likely to have diverse roles during development. ..
- Fernandez M, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, Morgan R. Mouse annexin III cDNA, genetic mapping and evolution. Gene. 1998;207:43-51 pubmed..The Anx3 locus mapped to the middle of mouse chromosome 5 between Areg and Fgf5. Protein-coding regions were compared with homologous annexins to establish subfamily identity, structural ..
- Han J, Martin G. Embryonic expression of Fgf-6 is restricted to the skeletal muscle lineage. Dev Biol. 1993;158:549-54 pubmed..These results are discussed in comparison with what is known about the expression patterns of the genes encoding other FGF family members, as well as their high-affinity receptors. ..
- Haub O, Goldfarb M. Expression of the fibroblast growth factor-5 gene in the mouse embryo. Development. 1991;112:397-406 pubmed..At several of these sites, expression is spatially restricted within the tissues. We offer several hypotheses regarding the roles of FGF-5 in murine development. ..
- Cho Y, Woodard G, Dunbar M, Gocken T, Jimenez J, Foley J. Hair-cycle-dependent expression of parathyroid hormone-related protein and its type I receptor: evidence for regulation at the anagen to catagen transition. J Invest Dermatol. 2003;120:715-27 pubmed..It appears that parathyroid hormone-related protein and fibroblast growth factor-5 regulate the anagen to catagen transition by independent pathways. ..
- Ma L, Liu J, Wu T, Plikus M, Jiang T, Bi Q, et al. 'Cyclic alopecia' in Msx2 mutants: defects in hair cycling and hair shaft differentiation. Development. 2003;130:379-89 pubmed..Thus, the combinatorial defects in hair cycling and differentiation, together with concealed skin domains, account for the cyclic alopecia phenotype. ..
- Wright T, Hatch E, Karabagli H, Karabagli P, Schoenwolf G, Mansour S. Expression of mouse fibroblast growth factor and fibroblast growth factor receptor genes during early inner ear development. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:267-72 pubmed..Fgf16 was expressed in the posterior otic cup and vesicle, suggesting roles in otic cell fate decisions and/or axis formation. ..
- Kerscher S, Glenister P, Favor J, Lyon M. Two new cataract loci, Ccw and To3, and further mapping of the Npp and Opj cataracts in the mouse. Genomics. 1996;36:17-21 pubmed..While there are no obvious candidate genes in the vicinity of the Ccw, Npp, and Opj mutations, To3 lies remarkably close to the recently mapped Lim2 locus, which encodes lens intrinsic membrane protein 2, also called MP19. ..
- Hogan M, King L, Sundberg J. Defects of pelage hairs in 20 mouse mutations. J Invest Dermatol. 1995;104:31S-32S pubmed
- Goldfarb M, Bates B, Drucker B, Hardin J, Haub O. Expression and possible functions of the FGF-5 gene. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1991;638:38-52 pubmed
- Tzimagiorgis G, Michaelidis T, Lindholm D, Thoenen H. Introduction of the negative selection marker into replacement vectors by a single ligation step. Nucleic Acids Res. 1996;24:3476-7 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that this fast and simple method consistently provides a high level of enrichment of appropriately targeted clones. ..
- Hebert J, Boyle M, Martin G. mRNA localization studies suggest that murine FGF-5 plays a role in gastrulation. Development. 1991;112:407-15 pubmed