Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Fabp1
Description: fatty acid binding protein 1, liver
Alias: Fabpl, L-FABP, fatty acid-binding protein, liver, 14 kDa selenium-binding protein, fatty acid-binding protein 1, liver-type fatty acid-binding protein
- Ong K, Mashek M, Davidson N, Mashek D. Hepatic ATGL mediates PPAR-? signaling and fatty acid channeling through an L-FABP independent mechanism. J Lipid Res. 2014;55:808-15 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we conclude that L-FABP is not required to channel ATGL-hydrolyzed FAs to mitochondria for ?-oxidation or the nucleus for PPAR-? regulation. ..
- Martin G, Atshaves B, Landrock K, Landrock D, Storey S, Howles P, et al. Ablating L-FABP in SCP-2/SCP-x null mice impairs bile acid metabolism and biliary HDL-cholesterol secretion. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2014;307:G1130-43 pubmed publisher..Conversely, SCP-2/SCP-x may function more in formation and biliary secretion of bile acid, with less impact on hepatic uptake or biliary secretion of HDL-cholesterol. ..
- Lagakos W, Gajda A, Agellon L, Binas B, Choi V, Mandap B, et al. Different functions of intestinal and liver-type fatty acid-binding proteins in intestine and in whole body energy homeostasis. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2011;300:G803-14 pubmed publisher..The metabolic changes observed in both null models appear to occur by nontranscriptional mechanisms, supporting the hypothesis that the enterocyte FABPs are specifically trafficking their ligands to their respective metabolic fates. ..
- Wang J, Bie J, Ghosh S. Intracellular cholesterol transport proteins enhance hydrolysis of HDL-CEs and facilitate elimination of cholesterol into bile. J Lipid Res. 2016;57:1712-9 pubmed publisher..intracellular cholesterol transport proteins [sterol carrier protein 2 (SCP2) and fatty acid binding protein-1 (FABP1)] not only facilitate CE hydrolase-mediated hydrolysis of HDL-CEs, but also enhance elimination of cholesterol ..
- Wolfrum C, Ellinghaus P, Fobker M, Seedorf U, Assmann G, Borchers T, et al. Phytanic acid is ligand and transcriptional activator of murine liver fatty acid binding protein. J Lipid Res. 1999;40:708-14 pubmed..2-fold induction of CAT expression. These findings, both in vivo and in vitro, demonstrate that phytanic acid is a transcriptional activator of L-FABP expression and that this effect is mediated via PPARalpha. ..
- Huang H, Starodub O, McIntosh A, Kier A, Schroeder F. Liver fatty acid-binding protein targets fatty acids to the nucleus. Real time confocal and multiphoton fluorescence imaging in living cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:29139-51 pubmed
- Cervantes S, Yamaguchi T, Hebrok M. Wnt5a is essential for intestinal elongation in mice. Dev Biol. 2009;326:285-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study demonstrates that Wnt5a functions as a critical regulator of midgut formation and morphogenesis in mammals. ..
- Martin G, Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Mackie J, Kier A, Schroeder F. Liver fatty acid-binding protein gene-ablated female mice exhibit increased age-dependent obesity. J Nutr. 2008;138:1859-65 pubmed..The data support a working model in which obesity development in these mice results from shifts toward reduced energy expenditure and/or more efficient energy uptake in the gut. ..
- Spann N, Kang S, Li A, Chen A, Newberry E, Davidson N, et al. Coordinate transcriptional repression of liver fatty acid-binding protein and microsomal triglyceride transfer protein blocks hepatic very low density lipoprotein secretion without hepatosteatosis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:33066-77 pubmed..Our findings show that reducing both L-FABP and MTP is an effective means to reduce VLDL secretion without causing hepatic steatosis. ..
- Martin G, Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Payne H, Mackie J, Kier A, et al. Liver fatty acid binding protein gene ablation enhances age-dependent weight gain in male mice. Mol Cell Biochem. 2009;324:101-15 pubmed publisher..These findings were consistent with a proposed role for L-FABP as an important physiological regulator of PPARalpha. ..
- Erol E, Kumar L, Cline G, Shulman G, Kelly D, Binas B. Liver fatty acid binding protein is required for high rates of hepatic fatty acid oxidation but not for the action of PPARalpha in fasting mice. FASEB J. 2004;18:347-9 pubmed..Thus, the mechanisms whereby L-FABP affects fatty acid oxidation may vary with physiological condition. ..
- Lin M, Miner J. Fatty acid transport protein 1 can compensate for fatty acid transport protein 4 in the developing mouse epidermis. J Invest Dermatol. 2015;135:462-470 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that increasing expression of FATP1 in suprabasal keratinocytes could normalize the skin of IPS patients and perhaps prevent the atopic manifestations. ..
- Bansal M, Cook R, Danielson K, Medina D. A 14-kilodalton selenium-binding protein in mouse liver is fatty acid-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:13780-4 pubmed..These observations confirm that the mouse liver selenium-binding 14-kDa protein is a fatty acid-binding protein. The nature of the selenium linkage to the protein still needs to be explored. ..
- Drori S, Girnun G, Tou L, Szwaya J, Mueller E, Xia K, et al. Hic-5 regulates an epithelial program mediated by PPARgamma. Genes Dev. 2005;19:362-75 pubmed..These results indicate that Hic5 is an important component in determining an epithelial differentiation program induced by PPARgamma. ..
- Fazeli A, Dickinson S, Hermiston M, Tighe R, Steen R, Small C, et al. Phenotype of mice lacking functional Deleted in colorectal cancer (Dcc) gene. Nature. 1997;386:796-804 pubmed..These observations fail to support a tumour-suppressor function for Dcc, but are consistent with the hypothesis that DCC is a component of a receptor for netrin-1. ..
- Xie Y, Cifarelli V, Pietka T, Newberry E, Kennedy S, Khalifeh Soltani A, et al. Cd36 knockout mice are protected against lithogenic diet-induced gallstones. J Lipid Res. 2017;58:1692-1701 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings show that CD36 plays an important role in modifying gallstone susceptibility in mice, at least in part by altering biliary lipid composition, but also by promoting gallbladder contractility. ..
- Martin G, Chung S, Landrock D, Landrock K, Huang H, Dangott L, et al. FABP-1 gene ablation impacts brain endocannabinoid system in male mice. J Neurochem. 2016;138:407-22 pubmed publisherLiver fatty acid-binding protein (FABP1, L-FABP) has high affinity for and enhances uptake of arachidonic acid (ARA, C20:4, n-6) which, when esterified to phospholipids, is the requisite precursor for synthesis of endocannabinoids (EC) ..
- Martin G, Landrock D, Landrock K, Howles P, Atshaves B, Kier A, et al. Relative contributions of L-FABP, SCP-2/SCP-x, or both to hepatic biliary phenotype of female mice. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2015;588:25-32 pubmed publisher..These data suggested that L-FABP was more important in hepatic retention of bile acids, while SCP-2/SCP-x more broadly affected biliary bile acid and phospholipid levels. ..
- Martin G, Atshaves B, Landrock K, Landrock D, Schroeder F, Kier A. Loss of L-FABP, SCP-2/SCP-x, or both induces hepatic lipid accumulation in female mice. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2015;580:41-9 pubmed publisher..The DKO- and TKO-induced hepatic accumulation of cholesterol and long chain fatty acids shared significant phenotypic similarities with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). ..
- Kaestner K, Silberg D, Traber P, Schutz G. The mesenchymal winged helix transcription factor Fkh6 is required for the control of gastrointestinal proliferation and differentiation. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1583-95 pubmed
- Xie Y, Fung H, Newberry E, Kennedy S, Luo J, Crooke R, et al. Hepatic Mttp deletion reverses gallstone susceptibility in L-Fabp knockout mice. J Lipid Res. 2014;55:540-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that liver-specific Mttp deletion not only eliminates apical lipoprotein secretion from hepatocytes but also attenuates canalicular cholesterol secretion, which in turn decreases LD-induced gallstone susceptibility. ..
- Duncan S. Transcriptional regulation of liver development. Dev Dyn. 2000;219:131-42 pubmed..The picture that emerges is that specific transcription factors use novel mechanisms to orchestrate changes in gene expression patterns that ultimately direct cell differentiation. ..
- Ritie L, Spenlé C, Lacroute J, Bolcato Bellemin A, Lefebvre O, Bole Feysot C, et al. Abnormal Wnt and PI3Kinase signaling in the malformed intestine of lama5 deficient mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e37710 pubmed publisher..Thus deregulated adhesion to laminin-511 may be instrumental in diseases such as human pathologies of the gut where laminin-511 is abnormally expressed as it is shown here. ..
- Martin G, Landrock D, Chung S, Dangott L, Seeger D, Murphy E, et al. Fabp1 gene ablation inhibits high-fat diet-induced increase in brain endocannabinoids. J Neurochem. 2017;140:294-306 pubmed publisher..One candidate is the liver fatty acid binding protein (FABP1), a cytosolic protein highly prevalent in liver, but not detected in brain, which facilitates hepatic clearance of ..
- Wang L, Zheng A, Yi L, Xu C, Ding M, Deng H. Identification of potential nuclear reprogramming and differentiation factors by a novel selection method for cloning chromatin-binding proteins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;325:302-7 pubmed..The method can be used to study epigenetic modification of chromatin during nuclear reprogramming, cell differentiation, and transdifferentiation. ..
- Thompson J, Reese Wagoner A, Banaszak L. Liver fatty acid binding protein: species variation and the accommodation of different ligands. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1441:117-30 pubmed..Last of all, hypothetical models have been built of complexes of LFABP and heme, and LFABP and oleoyl CoA. In both cases, the stoichiometry is one to one and the models show why this is likely. ..
- Newberry E, Kennedy S, Xie Y, Luo J, Davidson N. Diet-induced alterations in intestinal and extrahepatic lipid metabolism in liver fatty acid binding protein knockout mice. Mol Cell Biochem. 2009;326:79-86 pubmed publisher..Together these data indicate a role for L-FABP in intestinal trafficking of both SFA and cholesterol. ..
- Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Lyuksyutova O, Zipfel W, Webb W, Schroeder F. Liver fatty acid-binding protein gene ablation inhibits branched-chain fatty acid metabolism in cultured primary hepatocytes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:30954-65 pubmed..In summary, results with cultured primary hepatocytes isolated from L-FABP (+/+) and L-FABP (-/-) mice demonstrated for the first time a physiological role of L-FABP in the uptake and metabolism of branched-chain fatty acids. ..
- Kamijo Ikemori A, Sugaya T, Sekizuka A, Hirata K, Kimura K. Amelioration of diabetic tubulointerstitial damage in liver-type fatty acid-binding protein transgenic mice. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009;24:788-800 pubmed publisher..The expressions of catalase and glutathione peroxidase-1 were significantly lower in diabetic Tg kidneys compared with diabetic WT kidneys. Renal L-FABP ameliorated the tubulointerstitial damage of type 1 diabetic mice. ..
- McIntosh A, Atshaves B, Hostetler H, Huang H, Davis J, Lyuksyutova O, et al. Liver type fatty acid binding protein (L-FABP) gene ablation reduces nuclear ligand distribution and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha activity in cultured primary hepatocytes. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2009;485:160-73 pubmed publisherThe effect of liver type fatty acid binding protein (L-FABP) gene ablation on the uptake and distribution of long chain fatty acids (LCFA) to the nucleus by real-time laser scanning confocal imaging and peroxisome proliferator-activated ..
- Martin G, Landrock D, Chung S, Dangott L, McIntosh A, Mackie J, et al. Loss of fatty acid binding protein-1 alters the hepatic endocannabinoid system response to a high-fat diet. J Lipid Res. 2017;58:2114-2126 pubmed publisher..In pair-fed HFD mice, liver FA binding protein-1 (Fabp1) gene ablation (LKO): i) exacerbated FTM in both sexes; ii) did not elicit liver neutral lipid ..
- Ichikawa D, Kamijo Ikemori A, Sugaya T, Shibagaki Y, Yasuda T, Hoshino S, et al. Human liver-type fatty acid-binding protein protects against tubulointerstitial injury in aldosterone-induced renal injury. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2015;308:F114-21 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, hL-FABP ameliorated the tubulointerstitial damage in Aldo-induced renal injury via reducing oxidative stress and suppressing activation of the intrarenal renin-angiotensin system. ..
- Chen S, Lu W, Yueh M, Rettenmeier E, Liu M, Paszek M, et al. Intestinal NCoR1, a regulator of epithelial cell maturation, controls neonatal hyperbilirubinemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E1432-E1440 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a mechanism of NCoR1 in intestinal homeostasis during development and provide a key link to those events that control developmental repression of UGT1A1 and hyperbilirubinemia. ..
- Landrock D, Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Landrock K, Schroeder F, Kier A. Acyl-CoA binding protein gene ablation induces pre-implantation embryonic lethality in mice. Lipids. 2010;45:567-80 pubmed publisher..The fact that ACBP is the first known intracellular lipid binding protein whose deletion results in embryonic lethality suggests its vital importance in mammals. ..
- Osaki K, Suzuki Y, Sugaya T, Tanifuji C, Nishiyama A, Horikoshi S, et al. Amelioration of angiotensin II-induced salt-sensitive hypertension by liver-type fatty acid-binding protein in proximal tubules. Hypertension. 2013;62:712-8 pubmed publisher..Present data suggest that liver-type fatty acid-binding protein in the proximal tubules may be a novel therapeutic target for SSHT. ..
- Schachtrup C, Scholzen T, Grau V, Luger T, Sorg C, Spener F, et al. L-FABP is exclusively expressed in alveolar macrophages within the myeloid lineage: evidence for a PPARalpha-independent expression. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2004;36:2042-53 pubmed..Since liver-type FABP is known as transactivator of PPARgamma the simultaneous expression of both proteins may have general implications for the activation of PPARgamma in alveolar macrophages. ..
- Owada Y, Abdelwahab S, Kitanaka N, Sakagami H, Takano H, Sugitani Y, et al. Altered emotional behavioral responses in mice lacking brain-type fatty acid-binding protein gene. Eur J Neurosci. 2006;24:175-87 pubmed..These data indicate that B-FABP is crucially involved in the fear memory and anxiety through its binding with FAs and/or its own direct effects on pertinent metabolism/signaling of FAs. ..
- Joo J, Taxter T, Munguba G, Kim Y, Dhaduvai K, Dunn N, et al. Pinin modulates expression of an intestinal homeobox gene, Cdx2, and plays an essential role for small intestinal morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2010;345:191-203 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that Pnn is essential for tight regulation of Wnt signaling and Cdx2 expression during small intestinal development. ..
- McIntosh A, Atshaves B, Storey S, Landrock K, Landrock D, Martin G, et al. Loss of liver FA binding protein significantly alters hepatocyte plasma membrane microdomains. J Lipid Res. 2012;53:467-80 pubmed publisher..Thus L-FABP gene ablation significantly impacted the proportion of cholesterol-rich versus -poor microdomains in the hepatocyte plasma membrane and altered the distribution of lipids and proteins involved in cholesterol uptake therein. ..
- Tou L, Liu Q, Shivdasani R. Regulation of mammalian epithelial differentiation and intestine development by class I histone deacetylases. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:3132-9 pubmed..Thus, modulation of endogenous class I HDAC levels represents a previously unappreciated mechanism to enable onset of tissue-restricted gene expression in a developing mammalian organ. ..
- Simon T, Cho A, Tso P, Gordon J. Suppressor and activator functions mediated by a repeated heptad sequence in the liver fatty acid-binding protein gene (Fabpl). Effects on renal, small intestinal, and colonic epithelial cell gene expression in transgenic mice. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:10652-63 pubmedA 35-nucleotide sequence in the liver fatty acid-binding protein gene (Fabpl) has been identified that interacts with nuclear proteins present in adult mouse liver, kidney, stomach, small intestine, and colon...
- Storey S, Huang H, McIntosh A, Martin G, Kier A, Schroeder F. Impact of Fabp1/Scp-2/Scp-x gene ablation (TKO) on hepatic phytol metabolism in mice. J Lipid Res. 2017;58:1153-1165 pubmed publisher..sterol carrier protein-2/sterol carrier protein-x (Scp-2/Scp-x) and liver fatty acid binding protein [Fabp1 (L-FABP)] gene products facilitate hepatic uptake and metabolism of lipotoxic dietary phytol...
- Hostetler H, McIntosh A, Atshaves B, Storey S, Payne H, Kier A, et al. L-FABP directly interacts with PPARalpha in cultured primary hepatocytes. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:1663-75 pubmed publisherAlthough studies with liver type fatty acid binding protein (L-FABP) gene ablated mice demonstrate a physiological role for L-FABP in hepatic fatty acid metabolism, little is known about the mechanisms whereby L-FABP elicits these ..
- Norman D, Fletcher C, Heintz N. Genetic mapping of the lurcher locus on mouse chromosome 6 using an intersubspecific backcross. Genomics. 1991;9:147-53 pubmed..Three genes are shown to be closely linked to the Lc locus, and the map order cen-Cpa-Npy-Cbl-1-Lc-Igk, Fabpl-Pcp-1 is determined...
- Lagakos W, Guan X, Ho S, Sawicki L, Corsico B, Kodukula S, et al. Liver fatty acid-binding protein binds monoacylglycerol in vitro and in mouse liver cytosol. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:19805-15 pubmed publisherLiver fatty acid-binding protein (LFABP; FABP1) is expressed both in liver and intestinal mucosa...
- Newberry E, Kennedy S, Xie Y, Luo J, Jiang H, Ory D, et al. Phenotypic divergence in two lines of L-Fabp-/- mice reflects substrain differences and environmental modifiers. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2015;309:G648-61 pubmed publisher..Dense mapping revealed no evidence of unintended targeting, duplications, or deletions surrounding the Fabp1 locus in either line and only minor differences in mRNA expression of genes located near the targeted allele...
- Bondow B, Faber M, Wojta K, Walker E, Battle M. E-cadherin is required for intestinal morphogenesis in the mouse. Dev Biol. 2012;371:1-12 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data demonstrate that E-cadherin is essential for intestinal epithelial morphogenesis and homeostasis during embryonic development. ..
- Newberry E, Kennedy S, Xie Y, Luo J, Crooke R, Graham M, et al. Decreased body weight and hepatic steatosis with altered fatty acid ethanolamide metabolism in aged L-Fabp -/- mice. J Lipid Res. 2012;53:744-54 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate a role for L-Fabp in attenuating obesity and hepatic steatosis, and they suggest that hepatic fatty acid amide metabolism is altered in L-Fabp(-/-) mice. ..
- Martin G, Danneberg H, Kumar L, Atshaves B, Erol E, Bader M, et al. Decreased liver fatty acid binding capacity and altered liver lipid distribution in mice lacking the liver fatty acid-binding protein gene. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:21429-38 pubmed
- Wang G, Bonkovsky H, de Lemos A, Burczynski F. Recent insights into the biological functions of liver fatty acid binding protein 1. J Lipid Res. 2015;56:2238-47 pubmed publisher..b>FABP1 is known to be critical for fatty acid uptake and intracellular transport and also has an important role in ..
- Xie Y, Newberry E, Kennedy S, Luo J, Davidson N. Increased susceptibility to diet-induced gallstones in liver fatty acid binding protein knockout mice. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:977-87 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that changes in hepatic cholesterol metabolism and biliary lipid secretion as well as changes in enterohepatic BA metabolism increase gallstone susceptibility in LD fed L-Fabp(-/-) mice. ..
- Newberry E, Kennedy S, Xie Y, Sternard B, Luo J, Davidson N. Diet-induced obesity and hepatic steatosis in L-Fabp / mice is abrogated with SF, but not PUFA, feeding and attenuated after cholesterol supplementation. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2008;294:G307-14 pubmed..We further conclude that cholesterol supplementation does not induce an obesity phenotype in L-Fabp(-/-) mice, nor does it play a significant role in the protection against Western diet-induced obesity in this background. ..
- Oesterreicher T, Leeper L, Finegold M, Darlington G, Henning S. Intestinal maturation in mice lacking CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein alpha (C/EPBalpha). Biochem J. 1998;330 ( Pt 3):1165-71 pubmed..However, since other C/EBP isoforms are present in the developing intestine, it is possible that there is a generic requirement for a member of the C/EBP family. ..
- McIntosh A, Atshaves B, Landrock D, Landrock K, Martin G, Storey S, et al. Liver fatty acid binding protein gene-ablation exacerbates weight gain in high-fat fed female mice. Lipids. 2013;48:435-48 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings showed that L-FABP gene-ablation exacerbated diet-induced weight gain and fat tissue mass gain in mice fed high-fat diet ad libitum--consistent with the known biochemistry and cell biology of L-FABP. ..
- Zimmerman A, Veerkamp J. New insights into the structure and function of fatty acid-binding proteins. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2002;59:1096-116 pubmed..Additionally, data on FABP knockout mice and the implication of FABP in medicine are discussed. ..
- Martin G, Atshaves B, Huang H, McIntosh A, Williams B, Pai P, et al. Hepatic phenotype of liver fatty acid binding protein gene-ablated mice. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2009;297:G1053-65 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data support the hypothesis that L-FABP plays a role in physiological regulation of not only hepatic fatty acid metabolism, but also that of hepatic cholesterol. ..
- Wolfrum C, Borrmann C, Borchers T, Spener F. Fatty acids and hypolipidemic drugs regulate peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors alpha - and gamma-mediated gene expression via liver fatty acid binding protein: a signaling path to the nucleus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:2323-8 pubmed..Thus, L-FABP and the respective PPARs could serve as targets for nutrients and drugs to affect expression of PPAR-sensitive genes. ..
- Bosse T, Fialkovich J, Piaseckyj C, Beuling E, Broekman H, Grand R, et al. Gata4 and Hnf1alpha are partially required for the expression of specific intestinal genes during development. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2007;292:G1302-14 pubmed..Lactase-phlorizin hydrolase (LPH), liver fatty acid binding protein (Fabp1), and sucrase-isomaltase (SI) are well-characterized markers of these transitions...
- Fan W, Chen K, Zheng G, Wang W, Teng A, Liu A, et al. Role of liver fatty acid binding protein in hepatocellular injury: effect of CrPic treatment. J Inorg Biochem. 2013;124:46-53 pubmed publisher..1 fold) and CrPic (0.78 fold) groups compared the alloxan group. These findings suggest that hepatic injury may be prevented by CrPic, and is a potential target for use in the treatment of early hepatic injury. ..
- Vida M, Serrano A, Romero Cuevas M, Pavón F, Gonzalez Rodriguez A, Gavito A, et al. IL-6 cooperates with peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-?-ligands to induce liver fatty acid binding protein (LFABP) up-regulation. Liver Int. 2013;33:1019-28 pubmed publisher..These effects may have important implications in the postprandial increase in FA uptake and intracellular trafficking in the liver. ..
- Smathers R, Galligan J, Shearn C, Fritz K, Mercer K, Ronis M, et al. Susceptibility of L-FABP-/- mice to oxidative stress in early-stage alcoholic liver. J Lipid Res. 2013;54:1335-45 pubmed publisher..These data establish that L-FABP is an indirect antioxidant protein essential for sequestering FFA and that its impairment could contribute to in the pathogenesis of ALD. ..
- Storey S, Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Landrock K, Martin G, Huang H, et al. Effect of sterol carrier protein-2 gene ablation on HDL-mediated cholesterol efflux from cultured primary mouse hepatocytes. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010;299:G244-54 pubmed publisher..slow cholesterol efflux pools and/or eliciting concomitant upregulation of L-FABP in cultured primary hepatocytes...
- Martin G, Huang H, Atshaves B, Binas B, Schroeder F. Ablation of the liver fatty acid binding protein gene decreases fatty acyl CoA binding capacity and alters fatty acyl CoA pool distribution in mouse liver. Biochemistry. 2003;42:11520-32 pubmed
- Huang H, Starodub O, McIntosh A, Atshaves B, Woldegiorgis G, Kier A, et al. Liver fatty acid-binding protein colocalizes with peroxisome proliferator activated receptor alpha and enhances ligand distribution to nuclei of living cells. Biochemistry. 2004;43:2484-500 pubmed..Thus, L-FABP may function as a carrier for selectively enhancing the distribution of LCFA-CoA, as well as LCFA, to nuclei for potential interaction with nuclear receptors. ..
- Kim H, Kim D, Cho H. Protective effects of Platycodi radix on alcohol-induced fatty liver. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2007;71:1550-2 pubmed..These results suggest that inhibition of CYP2E1 and regulation of L-FABP by PR play an important role in alcohol-induced hepatoprotection. ..
- Mallordy A, Poirier H, Besnard P, Niot I, Carlier H. Evidence for transcriptional induction of the liver fatty-acid-binding-protein gene by bezafibrate in the small intestine. Eur J Biochem. 1995;227:801-7 pubmed..Our results also demonstrate that the mouse terminal ileum is a useful system for studying the regulation of L-FABPc gene expression both in vivo and in vitro...
- Martin G, Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Mackie J, Kier A, Schroeder F. Liver fatty-acid-binding protein (L-FABP) gene ablation alters liver bile acid metabolism in male mice. Biochem J. 2005;391:549-60 pubmed
- Hamasaki Y, Doi K, Maeda Mamiya R, Ogasawara E, Katagiri D, Tanaka T, et al. A 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor antagonist, sarpogrelate, reduces renal tubulointerstitial fibrosis by suppressing PAI-1. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013;305:F1796-803 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, SG reduces renal fibrosis not only by the antithrombotic effect of maintaining peritubular blood flow but also by suppressing PAI-1 expression in renal tubular cells. ..
- Petrescu A, McIntosh A, Storey S, Huang H, Martin G, Landrock D, et al. High glucose potentiates L-FABP mediated fibrate induction of PPAR? in mouse hepatocytes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1831:1412-25 pubmed publisher..These data indicated L-FABP's importance in fibrate-induction of hepatic PPAR? LCFA ?-oxidative genes, especially in the context of high glucose levels. ..
- Kamijo A, Sugaya T, Hikawa A, Okada M, Okumura F, Yamanouchi M, et al. Urinary excretion of fatty acid-binding protein reflects stress overload on the proximal tubules. Am J Pathol. 2004;165:1243-55 pubmed..In conclusion, our experimental model suggests that urinary excretion of hL-FABP reflects stresses, such as urinary protein overload, on the proximal tubules. The clinical observations support this hypothesis. ..