Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: F5
Description: coagulation factor V
Alias: AI173222, Cf-5, Cf5, activated protein C cofactor
- Hypercoagulability inhibits monocyte transendothelial migration through protease-activated receptor-1-, phospholipase-Cbeta-, phosphoinositide 3-kinase-, and nitric oxide-dependent signaling in monocytes and promotes plaque stabilityStefanie Seehaus
Department of Medicine I and Clinical Chemistry, University of Heidelberg, INF 410, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Circulation 120:774-84. 2009..These seemingly opposing data suggest that hypercoagulability might exert both proatherogenic and antiatherogenic effects. We therefore investigated whether hypercoagulability mediates a beneficial effect during de novo atherogenesis...
- Spontaneous thrombosis in mice carrying the factor V Leiden mutationJ Cui
Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor MI, USA
Blood 96:4222-6. 2000..Blood. 2000;96:4222-4226)..
- Heparin rescues factor V Leiden-associated placental failure independent of anticoagulation in a murine high-risk pregnancy modelJianzhong An
Division of Pediatric Pathology, Department of Pathology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Blood 121:2127-34. 2013..Importantly, thrombin-mediated maternal platelet activation remains central in the mechanism of placental failure...
- Endogenous protein C has a protective role during Gram-negative pneumosepsis (melioidosis)L M Kager
Center for Infection and Immunity Amsterdam, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 11:282-92. 2013..Inhibition of endogenous APC in endotoxemia and sepsis results in exacerbation of coagulation and inflammation, with consequent enhanced lethality...
- Low but sustained coagulation activation ameliorates glucose-induced podocyte apoptosis: protective effect of factor V Leiden in diabetic nephropathyHongjie Wang
Department of Medicine I and Clinical Chemistry, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Blood 117:5231-42. 2011..These results identify a nephroprotective function of low but sustained thrombin levels in FVL carriers, supporting a dual, context-dependent function of thrombin in chronic diseases...
- Factor V Leiden and the etiology of inflammatory bowel diseaseC Arnold Spek
Center for Experimental and Molecular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Thromb Haemost 98:670-3. 2007..We therefore conclude that the FV Leiden allele has no effect in murine colitis and we thus question the importance of activated blood coagulation in the etiology or pathogenesis of IBD...
- Factor V Leiden mutation is associated with enhanced arterial thrombotic tendency in lean but not in obese miceNobuo Nagai
Center for Molecular and Vascular Biology, KU Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, O and N 1, Herestraat 49, Box 911, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Thromb Haemost 98:858-63. 2007....
- Protein Z-dependent protease inhibitor deficiency produces a more severe murine phenotype than protein Z deficiencyJing Zhang
Division of Hematology, Washington University, St Louis, MO, USA
Blood 111:4973-8. 2008..The studies in mice suggest that human PZ and ZPI deficiency would be associated with a modest thrombotic risk with ZPI deficiency producing a more severe phenotype...
- Pregnancy-associated changes in the hemostatic system in wild-type and factor V Leiden miceS N Tchaikovski
Department of Biochemistry, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 7:312-8. 2009..Mouse models are often used for preclinical testing of newly developed hormone preparations. However, it is not known whether hormone-induced APC resistance is also observed in laboratory animals...
- Reduced thrombin generation increases host susceptibility to group A streptococcal infectionHongmin Sun
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia, USA
Blood 113:1358-64. 2009..of FV in either pool resulted in markedly increased mortality after GAS infection, with comparison to heterozygous F5-deficient mice suggesting a previously unappreciated role for the platelet FV pool in host defense...
- Elevated levels of soluble P-selectin in mice alter blood-brain barrier function, exacerbate stroke, and promote atherosclerosisJanka Kisucka
Immune Disease Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Blood 113:6015-22. 2009..Thus, elevated sP-selectin is not only a biomarker for vascular disease, but also may contribute directly to atherosclerosis and cerebrovascular complications...
- Lipopolysaccharide-triggered acute aggravation of mesangioproliferative glomerulonephritis through activation of coagulation in a high IgA strain of ddY miceMakiko Shimosawa
Division of Molecular Medicine, University of Shizuoka School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Shizuoka General Hospital, Shizuoka 422 8526, Japan
Nephron Exp Nephrol 112:e81-91. 2009..In this study, aggravation of glomerulonephritis in HIGA mice through lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-triggered activation of coagulation was investigated...
- [Factor V Leiden mutation leads to enhanced atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E deficient mice]Yue chun Shen
Department of Cardiology, First Affiliated Hospital, Guangzhou Medical College, Guangzhou 510120, China
Zhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing Za Zhi 37:59-62. 2009..We evaluated the effect of FvL mutation on atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E deficient mice fed with normal diet...
- Mice deficient in LMAN1 exhibit FV and FVIII deficiencies and liver accumulation of α1-antitrypsinBin Zhang
Genomic Medicine Institute, Lerner Research Institute of Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Blood 118:3384-91. 2011....
- Factor V Leiden mutation does not affect coagulopathy or outcome in lethal H1N1 influenzaM Schouten
Center for Experimental and Molecular Medicine, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 36:1346-54. 2010..In conclusion, coagulation is activated locally and systemically during lethal murine influenza A infection. The FVL mutation does not influence coagulation activation, lung inflammation or survival in lethal influenza A...
- [Synergistic effect of deficiency in thrombosis-related genes]Yue chun Shen
Department of Cardiology, First Affiliated Hospital, Guangzhou Medical College, Guangzhou, Guangdong, 510120 PR China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi 27:246-9. 2010..To investigate the interaction of deficiency in thrombosis-related gene in a mouse model...
- Colon cancer metastasis in mouse liver is not affected by hypercoagulability due to Factor V Leiden mutationC P W Klerk
Academic Medical Center, Department of Cell Biology and Histology, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Cell Mol Med 11:561-8. 2007..Fibrin deposition and thus inhibition of fibrin formation by anticoagulants do not seem to affect tumour development in this model...
- Fetal gene defects precipitate platelet-mediated pregnancy failure in factor V Leiden mothersRashmi Sood
Blood Research Institute, Blood Center of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
J Exp Med 204:1049-56. 2007..e., thrombosis or pregnancy loss), depending on the vascular bed in which this interaction occurs...
- Alpha-galactosidase A deficiency leads to increased tissue fibrin deposition and thrombosis in mice homozygous for the factor V Leiden mutationYuechun Shen
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Stroke 37:1106-8. 2006..Fabry disease, an X-linked lysosomal storage disorder attributable to alpha-galactosidase A (GLA) deficiency, is associated with premature vascular events that may be thrombotic in nature...
- Assignment of gene for coagulation factor V to chromosome 1 in man and to chromosome 13 in ratB Dahlback
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University of Lund, Malmo General Hospital, Sweden
Somat Cell Mol Genet 14:509-14. 1988..In the rat, the gene for coagulation factor V was found to be located in chromosome 13. This is the first gene in the rat to be localized to chromosome 13...
- Linkage map of nine loci defined by polymorphic DNA markers assigned to rat chromosome 13E F Remmers
Arthritis and Rheumatism Branch, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Genomics 18:277-82. 1993..An examination of human and mouse comparative map information for all loci assigned to rat chromosome 13 shows significant synteny conservation with the q arm of human chromosome 1 and the distal portion of mouse chromosome 1...
- Fatal haemorrhage and incomplete block to embryogenesis in mice lacking coagulation factor VJ Cui
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, USA
Nature 384:66-8. 1996....
- FISH mapping of three ammonia metabolism genes (Glul, Cps1, Glud1) in rat, and the chromosomal localization of GLUL in human and Cps1 in mouseK Helou
Department of Genetics, Göteborg University Medicinareg 9C, S 413 90 Göteborg, Sweden
Mamm Genome 8:362-4. 1997
- The structure and function of murine factor V and its inactivation by protein CT L Yang
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0650, USA
Blood 91:4593-9. 1998..Thus, the structure and function of FV and its interaction with APC are highly conserved across mammalian species...
- Rescue of fatal neonatal hemorrhage in factor V deficient mice by low level transgene expressionT L Yang
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Thromb Haemost 83:70-7. 2000....
- Prothrombotic phenotype of protein Z deficiencyZ F Yin
Division of Hematology, Barnes Jewish Hospital at Washington University School of Medicine, 216 South Kingshighway Boulevard, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:6734-8. 2000..The results indicate that PZ plays a physiologically important role in the regulation of coagulation...
- A role for thrombin receptor signaling in endothelial cells during embryonic developmentC T Griffin
Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California at San Francisco UCSF, San Francisco, California 94143
Science 293:1666-70. 2001....
- Biosynthetic origin and functional significance of murine platelet factor VTony L Yang
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Blood 102:2851-5. 2003....
- The murine platelet and plasma factor V pools are biosynthetically distinct and sufficient for minimal hemostasisHongmin Sun
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 48109, USA
Blood 102:2856-61. 2003..In addition, these findings indicate that the murine platelet and plasma FV pools are biosynthetically distinct, in contrast to a previous report demonstrating a plasma origin for platelet FV in humans...
- Identification of the MMRN1 binding region within the C2 domain of human factor VSamira B Jeimy
Health Sciences Centre 2N31, Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z5, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:51466-71. 2004..The dissociation of factor V-multimerin 1 complexes following factor V activation suggests a role for multimerin 1 in delivering and localizing factor V onto platelets prior to prothrombinase assembly...
- Factor VLeiden inhibits fibrinolysis in vivoAndrew C Parker
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0644, USA
Circulation 110:3594-8. 2004..Factor V(Leiden) (fV(Leiden)) predisposes to thrombosis by enhancing thrombin formation. This study tested the hypothesis that fV(Leiden) inhibits fibrinolysis in vivo...
- Homozygosity for factor V Leiden leads to enhanced thrombosis and atherosclerosis in miceDaniel T Eitzman
Division of Cardiology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor 48109 0644, USA
Circulation 111:1822-5. 2005..Although the impact of FVL on the development of venous thrombosis is well established, its effect on arterial thrombosis and atherosclerosis is controversial...
- Factor V Leiden improves in vivo hemostasis in murine hemophilia modelsA Schlachterman
Divison of Hematology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Thromb Haemost 3:2730-7. 2005..Our observations may partly explain the heterogeneous clinical evidence of the beneficial role of FVL in hemophilia...
- Genomic organization of the selectin family of leukocyte adhesion molecules on human and mouse chromosome 1M L Watson
Department of Medicine, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27710
J Exp Med 172:263-72. 1990..These data characterize the organization of a genomic region that may be critical for intercellular communication within the immune system...