Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Elovl2
Description: elongation of very long chain fatty acids (FEN1/Elo2, SUR4/Elo3, yeast)-like 2
Alias: AI317360, Ssc2, elongation of very long chain fatty acids protein 2, 3-keto acyl-CoA synthase Elovl2, ELOVL FA elongase 2, ELOVL family member 2, ELOVL fatty acid elongase 2, sequence similarity to Cig30 2, very long chain 3-ketoacyl-CoA synthase 2, very long chain 3-oxoacyl-CoA synthase 2
- Tvrdik P, Westerberg R, Silve S, Asadi A, Jakobsson A, Cannon B, et al. Role of a new mammalian gene family in the biosynthesis of very long chain fatty acids and sphingolipids. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:707-18 pubmed..The Ssc1 gene appears to be ubiquitously expressed, whereas Ssc2 and Cig30 show a restricted expression pattern...
- Zadravec D, Tvrdik P, Guillou H, Haslam R, Kobayashi T, Napier J, et al. ELOVL2 controls the level of n-6 28:5 and 30:5 fatty acids in testis, a prerequisite for male fertility and sperm maturation in mice. J Lipid Res. 2011;52:245-55 pubmed publisherb>ELOVL2 is a member of the mammalian microsomal ELOVL fatty acid enzyme family, involved in the elongation of very long-chain fatty acids including PUFAs required for various cellular functions in mammals...
- Moon Y, Shah N, Mohapatra S, Warrington J, Horton J. Identification of a mammalian long chain fatty acyl elongase regulated by sterol regulatory element-binding proteins. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:45358-66 pubmed..The current studies suggest that mouse LCE expression is increased by SREBPs and that the enzyme is a component of the elusive mammalian elongation system that converts palmitic to stearic acid. ..
- Kobayashi T, Zadravec D, Jacobsson A. ELOVL2 overexpression enhances triacylglycerol synthesis in 3T3-L1 and F442A cells. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:3157-63 pubmedElongation of very long-chain fatty acids (ELOVL) members were overexpressed in two preadipocyte cell lines, ELOVL2 and ELOVL3 in 3T3-L1 cells, and ELOVL1-3 in F442A cells...
- Leonard A, Kelder B, Bobik E, Chuang L, Lewis C, Kopchick J, et al. Identification and expression of mammalian long-chain PUFA elongation enzymes. Lipids. 2002;37:733-40 pubmed..4 and 58% identity, respectively, to that of ELOVL5. The open reading frame of the human clone (ELOVL2) encodes a 296-amino acid peptide, whereas the mouse clone (Elovl2) encodes a 292-amino acid peptide...
- Pauter A, Olsson P, Asadi A, Herslöf B, Csikasz R, Zadravec D, et al. Elovl2 ablation demonstrates that systemic DHA is endogenously produced and is essential for lipid homeostasis in mice. J Lipid Res. 2014;55:718-28 pubmed publisher..of very long-chain fatty acids (ELOVLs) in mammals is catalyzed by the ELOVL enzymes to which the PUFA elongase ELOVL2 belongs...
- Sassa T, Ohno Y, Suzuki S, Nomura T, Nishioka C, Kashiwagi T, et al. Impaired epidermal permeability barrier in mice lacking elovl1, the gene responsible for very-long-chain fatty acid production. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:2787-96 pubmed publisher..Elovl1 is a key determinant of epidermal Cer chain length and is essential for permeability barrier formation. ..
- Pauter A, Trattner S, Gonzalez Bengtsson A, Talamonti E, Asadi A, Dethlefsen O, et al. Both maternal and offspring Elovl2 genotypes determine systemic DHA levels in perinatal mice. J Lipid Res. 2017;58:111-123 pubmed publisher..In order to address the question regarding the origin of DHA during perinatal life, we have used DHA-deficient Elovl2-ablated mice as a model system to analyze the maternal impact on the DHA level in their offspring of various ..