Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Elavl3
Description: ELAV like RNA binding protein 3
Alias: 2600009P04Rik, Huc, PLE21, mHuC, ELAV-like protein 3, ELAV (embryonic lethal, abnormal vision, Drosophila)-like 3 (Hu antigen C), HU-antigen C
- Escalante A, Murillo B, Morenilla Palao C, Klar A, Herrera E. Zic2-dependent axon midline avoidance controls the formation of major ipsilateral tracts in the CNS. Neuron. 2013;80:1392-406 pubmed publisher..Together with previous reports, our data reveal a critical role for Zic2 as a determinant of axon midline avoidance in the CNS across species and pathways. ..
- Wright Jin E, Grider J, Duester G, Heuckeroth R. Retinaldehyde dehydrogenase enzymes regulate colon enteric nervous system structure and function. Dev Biol. 2013;381:28-37 pubmed publisher..and submucosal plexus stained with NADPH diaphorase (neurons and neurites), anti-TuJ1 (neurons and neurites), anti-HuC/HuD (neurons), and anti-S100? (glia) in an allelic series of mice with mutations in Raldh1, Raldh2, and Raldh3...
- Wittmann W, Schimmang T, Gunhaga L. Progressive effects of N-myc deficiency on proliferation, neurogenesis, and morphogenesis in the olfactory epithelium. Dev Neurobiol. 2014;74:643-56 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results provide evidence that N-myc deficiency in the olfactory epithelium progressively diminishes proliferation and neurogenesis with negative consequences at structural and cellular levels. ..
- Aoki H, Hara A, Niwa M, Yamada Y, Kunisada T. In vitro and in vivo differentiation of human embryonic stem cells into retina-like organs and comparison with that from mouse pluripotent epiblast stem cells. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2266-79 pubmed publisher..hESC-derived retina-like structures present a novel therapeutic possibility for retinal diseases and also provide a novel experimental system to study early human eye development. ..
- Zhou H, Hinman M, Barron V, Geng C, Zhou G, Luo G, et al. Hu proteins regulate alternative splicing by inducing localized histone hyperacetylation in an RNA-dependent manner. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:E627-35 pubmed publisher..This "reaching back" interaction with chromatin provides a means to ensure accurate and efficient regulation of alternative splicing. ..
- Chilov D, Sinjushina N, Rita H, Taketo M, Makela T, Partanen J. Phosphorylated ?-catenin localizes to centrosomes of neuronal progenitors and is required for cell polarity and neurogenesis in developing midbrain. Dev Biol. 2011;357:259-68 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate a novel function for p-?-cat in maintaining neuroepithelial integrity and suggest that centrosomal p-ß-cat is required to maintain symmetric cleavages and polarity in neural progenitors. ..
- Yi S, He X, Rhee Y, Park C, Takizawa T, Nakashima K, et al. Foxa2 acts as a co-activator potentiating expression of the Nurr1-induced DA phenotype via epigenetic regulation. Development. 2014;141:761-72 pubmed publisher..These data establish the interplay of Nurr1 and Foxa2 as the crucial determinant for DA phenotype acquisition during mDA neuron development. ..
- Matsumoto S, Banine F, Struve J, Xing R, Adams C, Liu Y, et al. Brg1 is required for murine neural stem cell maintenance and gliogenesis. Dev Biol. 2006;289:372-83 pubmed
- Maier E, Von Hofsten J, Nord H, Fernandes M, Paek H, Hebert J, et al. Opposing Fgf and Bmp activities regulate the specification of olfactory sensory and respiratory epithelial cell fates. Development. 2010;137:1601-11 pubmed publisher..In summary, we present a conserved mechanism in amniotes in which Bmp and Fgf signals act in an opposing manner to regulate the respiratory versus sensory epithelial cell fate decision...
- Nekrep N, Wang J, Miyatsuka T, German M. Signals from the neural crest regulate beta-cell mass in the pancreas. Development. 2008;135:2151-60 pubmed publisher..2 form a non-cell-autonomous feedback loop that links the neural crest with the pancreatic epithelium, regulates the size of the beta-cell population, and thereby impacts insulin-secretory capacity and energy homeostasis. ..
- Yamada M, Terao M, Terashima T, Fujiyama T, Kawaguchi Y, Nabeshima Y, et al. Origin of climbing fiber neurons and their developmental dependence on Ptf1a. J Neurosci. 2007;27:10924-34 pubmed..These findings clarify the precise origin of CF neurons and suggest that Ptf1a controls their fate, survival, differentiation, and migration during development. ..
- Inoue M, Muto Y, Sakamoto H, Yokoyama S. NMR studies on functional structures of the AU-rich element-binding domains of Hu antigen C. Nucleic Acids Res. 2000;28:1743-50 pubmedb>Hu antigen C (HuC) has three RNA-binding domains (RBDs). The N-terminal two, RBD1 and RBD2, are linked in tandem and bind to the AU-rich elements (AREs) in the 3'-untranslated region of particular mRNAs...
- Nishino J, Kim I, Chada K, Morrison S. Hmga2 promotes neural stem cell self-renewal in young but not old mice by reducing p16Ink4a and p19Arf Expression. Cell. 2008;135:227-39 pubmed publisher..Hmga2 thus promotes fetal and young-adult stem cell self-renewal by decreasing p16(Ink4a)/p19(Arf) expression. Changes in let-7 and Hmga2 expression during aging contribute to the decline in neural stem cell function. ..
- McNay D, Briancon N, Kokoeva M, Maratos Flier E, Flier J. Remodeling of the arcuate nucleus energy-balance circuit is inhibited in obese mice. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:142-52 pubmed publisher..This insight has important implications for our understanding of nutritional regulation of energy balance and brain function. ..
- Achim K, Peltopuro P, Lahti L, Tsai H, Zachariah A, Astrand M, et al. The role of Tal2 and Tal1 in the differentiation of midbrain GABAergic neuron precursors. Biol Open. 2013;2:990-7 pubmed publisher..The observed similarities and differences between Tal1/Tal2 and Gata2 mutants suggest both co-operative and unique roles for these factors in determination of midbrain GABAergic neuron identities. ..
- Soret R, Mennetrey M, Bergeron K, Dariel A, Neunlist M, Grunder F, et al. A collagen VI-dependent pathogenic mechanism for Hirschsprung's disease. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:4483-96 pubmed publisher..Moreover, as COL6A1 and COL6A2 are on human Chr.21q, this mechanism is highly relevant to the predisposition of patients with Down syndrome to HSCR. ..
- Abe R, Sakashita E, Yamamoto K, Sakamoto H. Two different RNA binding activities for the AU-rich element and the poly(A) sequence of the mouse neuronal protein mHuC. Nucleic Acids Res. 1996;24:4895-901 pubmed..Northern blot analysis showed that two different mRNAs, of 5.3 and 4.3 kb, for mouse HuC (mHuC) are expressed specifically in brain tissue...
- Nishino J, Saunders T, Sagane K, Morrison S. Lgi4 promotes the proliferation and differentiation of glial lineage cells throughout the developing peripheral nervous system. J Neurosci. 2010;30:15228-40 pubmed publisher..Our results identify a new mechanism regulating enteric gliogenesis as well as novel functions for Lgi4 regulating the proliferation and maturation of glial lineage cells throughout the PNS. ..
- Puig I, Champeval D, de Santa Barbara P, Jaubert F, Lyonnet S, Larue L. Deletion of Pten in the mouse enteric nervous system induces ganglioneuromatosis and mimics intestinal pseudoobstruction. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:3586-96 pubmed publisher..Our study thus reveals that loss of PTEN disrupts development of the ENS and identifies the PI3K/PTEN-AKT-S6K signaling pathway as a potential therapeutic target for ganglioneuromatosis forms of CIPO. ..
- Taniguchi Y, Tanaka O, Sekiguchi M, Takekoshi S, Tsukamoto H, Kimura M, et al. Enforced expression of the transcription factor HOXD3 under the control of the Wnt1 regulatory element modulates cell adhesion properties in the developing mouse neural tube. J Anat. 2011;219:589-600 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that expression of HOXD3 is closely associated with modulation of cell-adhesive properties during embryonic development. ..
- Jin S, Martinelli D, Zheng X, Tessier Lavigne M, Fan C. Gas1 is a receptor for sonic hedgehog to repel enteric axons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E73-80 pubmed publisher..Together, our data uncover a previously unsuspected mechanism underlying development of centrifugal tubular organization and identify a previously unidentified effector of Shh in axon guidance. ..
- Hendershot T, Liu H, Sarkar A, Giovannucci D, Clouthier D, Abe M, et al. Expression of Hand2 is sufficient for neurogenesis and cell type-specific gene expression in the enteric nervous system. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:93-105 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that expression of Hand2 is sufficient and necessary for neurogenesis and expression of a subset of cell type-specific markers in the developing enteric nervous system. ..
- Bonilla S, Hall A, Pinto L, Attardo A, Gotz M, Huttner W, et al. Identification of midbrain floor plate radial glia-like cells as dopaminergic progenitors. Glia. 2008;56:809-20 pubmed publisher..Combined, our experiments support the concept that the midbrain FP differs from other FP regions and demonstrate that FP radial glia-like cells in the midbrain are neurogenic and give rise to midbrain DA neurons. ..
- Shaham O, Gueta K, Mor E, Oren Giladi P, Grinberg D, Xie Q, et al. Pax6 regulates gene expression in the vertebrate lens through miR-204. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003357 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this study identifies a novel evolutionarily conserved mechanism by which Pax6 controls the down-regulation of multiple genes through direct up-regulation of miR-204. ..
- Bellet M, Piobbico D, Bartoli D, Castelli M, Pieroni S, Brunacci C, et al. NEDD4 controls the expression of GUCD1, a protein upregulated in proliferating liver cells. Cell Cycle. 2014;13:1902-11 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have characterized expression and function of a ubiquitous protein, GUCD1, which might have a role in regulating normal and abnormal cell growth in the liver. ..
- Lamba D, Hayes S, Karl M, Reh T. Baf60c is a component of the neural progenitor-specific BAF complex in developing retina. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3016-23 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that Baf60c is re-expressed in the Müller glial cells that re-enter the cell cycle after neurotoxic damage. ..
- Wiegreffe C, Simon R, Peschkes K, Kling C, Strehle M, Cheng J, et al. Bcl11a (Ctip1) Controls Migration of Cortical Projection Neurons through Regulation of Sema3c. Neuron. 2015;87:311-25 pubmed publisher..Our data uncover a novel Bcl11a/Sema3c-dependent regulatory pathway used by migrating cortical neurons. ..
- Nguyen L, Besson A, Heng J, Schuurmans C, Teboul L, Parras C, et al. p27kip1 independently promotes neuronal differentiation and migration in the cerebral cortex. Genes Dev. 2006;20:1511-24 pubmed..Thus, p27(Kip1) plays a key role in cortical development, acting as a modular protein that independently regulates and couples multiple cellular pathways contributing to neurogenesis. ..
- Ono Y, Nakatani T, Sakamoto Y, Mizuhara E, Minaki Y, Kumai M, et al. Differences in neurogenic potential in floor plate cells along an anteroposterior location: midbrain dopaminergic neurons originate from mesencephalic floor plate cells. Development. 2007;134:3213-25 pubmed..Our data provide insights into the mechanisms of specification and generation of mesDA neurons, and illustrate a useful cell replacement approach for Parkinson's disease. ..
- Calmont A, Thapar N, Scambler P, Burns A. Absence of the vagus nerve in the stomach of Tbx1-/- mutant mice. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2011;23:125-30 pubmed publisher..We used in situ hybridization for Ret, and immunohistochemical staining for neurofilament, HuC/D and ?III-tubulin to study cranial ganglia, vagus nerve, and enteric nervous system development in Tbx1 mutant and ..
- Lei J, Howard M. Targeted deletion of Hand2 in enteric neural precursor cells affects its functions in neurogenesis, neurotransmitter specification and gangliogenesis, causing functional aganglionosis. Development. 2011;138:4789-800 pubmed publisher..Thus, Hand2 is essential for neurogenesis, neurotransmitter specification and neural network patterning in the developing ENS. ..
- Ouchi Y, Baba Y, Koso H, Taketo M, Iwamoto T, Aburatani H, et al. ?-Catenin signaling regulates the timing of cell differentiation in mouse retinal progenitor cells. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2011;46:770-80 pubmed publisher..Taken together, ?-catenin signaling regulates the timing of differentiation in RPCs by inhibiting premature differentiation of them partly through the regulation of Id3 expression. ..
- Muñoz Bravo J, Hidalgo Figueroa M, Pascual A, Lopez Barneo J, Leal Cerro A, Cano D. GDNF is required for neural colonization of the pancreas. Development. 2013;140:3669-79 pubmed publisher..Our data further show that exogenous GDNF promotes the proliferation of pancreatic progenitor cells in organ culture. In summary, our results point to GDNF as crucial for the development of the intrinsic innervation of the pancreas. ..
- Galichet C, Guillemot F, Parras C. Neurogenin 2 has an essential role in development of the dentate gyrus. Development. 2008;135:2031-41 pubmed publisher..These data establish a unique role of Ngn2 in DG neurogenesis during development and raise the possibility that Ngn2 has a similar function in adult neurogenesis. ..
- Zhao X, D Arca D, Lim W, Brahmachary M, Carro M, Ludwig T, et al. The N-Myc-DLL3 cascade is suppressed by the ubiquitin ligase Huwe1 to inhibit proliferation and promote neurogenesis in the developing brain. Dev Cell. 2009;17:210-21 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Huwe1 balances proliferation and neurogenesis in the developing brain and that this pathway is subverted in malignant brain tumors. ..
- Lake J, Avetisyan M, Zimmermann A, Heuckeroth R. Neural crest requires Impdh2 for development of the enteric nervous system, great vessels, and craniofacial skeleton. Dev Biol. 2016;409:152-165 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that IMPDH2 mediated guanine nucleotide synthesis is essential for normal development of the ENS and other neural crest derivatives. ..
- Nouri N, Patel M, Joksimovic M, Poulin J, Anderegg A, Taketo M, et al. Excessive Wnt/beta-catenin signaling promotes midbrain floor plate neurogenesis, but results in vacillating dopamine progenitors. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2015;68:131-42 pubmed publisher..Our findings will impact embryonic stem cell protocols that utilize Wnt pathway reagents to derive mDA neuron models and therapeutics for Parkinson's disease. ..
- Heanue T, Pachnis V. Prospective identification and isolation of enteric nervous system progenitors using Sox2. Stem Cells. 2011;29:128-40 pubmed publisher..Our studies will facilitate development of cell replacement strategies in animal models, critical to develop human cell replacement therapies for HSCR. ..
- Memic F, Knoflach V, Sadler R, Tegerstedt G, Sundström E, Guillemot F, et al. Ascl1 Is Required for the Development of Specific Neuronal Subtypes in the Enteric Nervous System. J Neurosci. 2016;36:4339-50 pubmed publisher..Enteric nervous system progenitor cells may therefore possess strong intrinsic control over their specification at the initial waves of neurogenesis. ..
- Hori K, Nagai T, Shan W, Sakamoto A, Taya S, Hashimoto R, et al. Cytoskeletal regulation by AUTS2 in neuronal migration and neuritogenesis. Cell Rep. 2014;9:2166-79 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that cytoplasmic AUTS2 acts as a regulator of Rho family GTPases to contribute to brain development and give insight into the pathology of human psychiatric disorders with AUTS2 mutations. ..
- Hasegawa Y, Yoshida D, Nakamura Y, Sakakibara S. Spatiotemporal distribution of SUMOylation components during mouse brain development. J Comp Neurol. 2014;522:3020-36 pubmed publisher..This heterogeneous distribution implies that both proteins play a specific and unique role in the brain. ..
- Abe R, Uyeno Y, Yamamoto K, Sakamoto H. Tissue-specific expression of the gene encoding a mouse RNA binding protein homologous to human HuD antigen. DNA Res. 1994;1:175-80 pubmed..3 kb), which is indicative of alternative RNA processing. These results suggest that the mouse HuD homolog is a member of the tissue-specific RNA-binding protein family, possibly involved in RNA metabolism in the nervous system. ..
- Zega K, Jovanovic V, Vitic Z, Niedzielska M, Knaapi L, Jukic M, et al. Dusp16 Deficiency Causes Congenital Obstructive Hydrocephalus and Brain Overgrowth by Expansion of the Neural Progenitor Pool. Front Mol Neurosci. 2017;10:372 pubmed publisher..Moreover our results suggest that a lack of functional Dusp16 could play a central role in the molecular mechanisms linking brain overgrowth and hydrocephalus. ..
- Morikawa Y, D Autréaux F, Gershon M, Cserjesi P. Hand2 determines the noradrenergic phenotype in the mouse sympathetic nervous system. Dev Biol. 2007;307:114-26 pubmed..Our data suggest that the major role of Hand2 during SNS development is to permit sympathetic neurons to acquire a catecholaminergic phenotype. ..
- Minaki Y, Nakatani T, Mizuhara E, Inoue T, Ono Y. Identification of a novel transcriptional corepressor, Corl2, as a cerebellar Purkinje cell-selective marker. Gene Expr Patterns. 2008;8:418-23 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this marker was useful for unmasking the precise origin of PCs and delineating the domain map within the ventricular zone that generates cerebellar GABAergic neurons. ..
- Shikata Y, Okada T, Hashimoto M, Ellis T, Matsumaru D, Shiroishi T, et al. Ptch1-mediated dosage-dependent action of Shh signaling regulates neural progenitor development at late gestational stages. Dev Biol. 2011;349:147-59 pubmed publisher..These data indicated that endogenous Ptch1 mediates the broad effects of Shh on the transition from VZ progenitors to IPCs and activation of proliferation of the IPCs in the cortex during late gestational stages. ..
- D Autréaux F, Morikawa Y, Cserjesi P, Gershon M. Hand2 is necessary for terminal differentiation of enteric neurons from crest-derived precursors but not for their migration into the gut or for formation of glia. Development. 2007;134:2237-49 pubmed..We suggest that enteric neuronal development occurs in stages and that Hand2 expression is required for terminal differentiation but not for precursors to enter the neuronal lineage. ..
- Wittmann W, Iulianella A, Gunhaga L. Cux2 acts as a critical regulator for neurogenesis in the olfactory epithelium of vertebrates. Dev Biol. 2014;388:35-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, we demonstrate a novel conserved mechanism in vertebrates in which levels of Cux2 activity play an important role for ongoing neurogenesis in the olfactory epithelium...
- Schwarz Q, Vieira J, Howard B, Eickholt B, Ruhrberg C. Neuropilin 1 and 2 control cranial gangliogenesis and axon guidance through neural crest cells. Development. 2008;135:1605-13 pubmed publisher..We conclude that neuropilins play multiple roles in the sensory nervous system by directing cranial neural crest cells, positioning sensory neurons and organising their axonal projections. ..
- Ince Dunn G, Okano H, Jensen K, Park W, Zhong R, Ule J, et al. Neuronal Elav-like (Hu) proteins regulate RNA splicing and abundance to control glutamate levels and neuronal excitability. Neuron. 2012;75:1067-80 pubmed publisher..The genome-wide analysis of nElavl targets reveals that one function of neuron-specific RNABPs is to control excitation-inhibition balance in the brain. ..
- Lin Y, Ouchi Y, Satoh S, Watanabe S. Sox2 plays a role in the induction of amacrine and Müller glial cells in mouse retinal progenitor cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:68-74 pubmed publisher..Therefore, ectopic Sox2 expression can induce amacrine cells in the mouse retina from stage E17 onward, possibly by facilitating cell cycle exit. ..
- García Domínguez D, Morello D, Cisneros E, Kontoyiannis D, Frade J. Stabilization of Dll1 mRNA by Elavl1/HuR in neuroepithelial cells undergoing mitosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1227-39 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Elavl1/HuR facilitates the exposure of vertebrate neuronal precursors to apically located Delta/Notch signals. ..
- Li Z, Caron M, Blakely R, Margolis K, Gershon M. Dependence of serotonergic and other nonadrenergic enteric neurons on norepinephrine transporter expression. J Neurosci. 2010;30:16730-40 pubmed publisher..NET expression is essential for development and/or survival of some (5-HT- and calretinin-expressing), but not all (nNOS-expressing), of these neurons. ..
- Yamanaka Y, Kitano A, Takao K, Prasansuklab A, Mushiroda T, Yamazaki K, et al. Inactivation of fibroblast growth factor binding protein 3 causes anxiety-related behaviors. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2011;46:200-12 pubmed publisher..Therefore, FGF-BP3 plays a critical role in the regulation of emotional states and in the development of anxiety disorders and should be investigated as a therapeutic target for anxiety disease in humans. ..