Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ebi3
Description: Epstein-Barr virus induced gene 3
Alias: EBI-3, IL-27, IL-27 subunit beta, IL-27B, epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 protein homolog, interleukin-27 subunit beta
- IL-27, a heterodimeric cytokine composed of EBI3 and p28 protein, induces proliferation of naive CD4(+) T cellsStefan Pflanz
DNAX Research Institute, 901 California Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Immunity 16:779-90. 2002..We describe a new heterodimeric cytokine termed IL-27 that consists of EBI3, an IL-12p40-related protein, and p28, a newly discovered IL-12p35-related polypeptide...
- Disruption of T helper 2-immune responses in Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3-deficient miceEdward E S Nieuwenhuis
Gastroenterology Division and Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:16951-6. 2002Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3) is a widely expressed IL-12p40-related protein that associates as a heterodimer with either IL-12p35 or an IL-12p35 homologue, p28, to create a new cytokine (IL-27)...
- EBV-induced gene 3 transcription is induced by TLR signaling in primary dendritic cells via NF-kappa B activationStefan Wirtz
Laboratory of Immunology, First Medical Clinic, University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Immunol 174:2814-24. 2005The EBV-induced gene 3 (EBI3) is expressed in dendritic cells (DCs) and part of the cytokine IL-27 that controls Th cell development. However, its regulated expression in DCs is poorly understood...
- Immunosurveillance of lung melanoma metastasis in EBI-3-deficient mice mediated by CD8+ T cellsKerstin A Sauer
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Immunology of the Lung, I Medical Clinic, University of Mainz, Germany
J Immunol 181:6148-57. 2008..Taken together, these data demonstrate that targeting EBI-3 leads to a T-bet-mediated antitumor CD8(+) T cell responses in the lung...
- [Expression of EBI3 and p28 mRNA in the brain and spinal cord of chronic model of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in C57BL/6J mice]Jin jin Yan
Department of Neurology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410008, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 33:1028-36. 2008To investigate the expression of EBI3 and p28 mRNA (the 2 subunits of IL-27) in the brain and spinal cord of the model of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), and to explore their effect on EAE.
- Regulatory T cell suppression is potentiated by target T cells in a cell contact, IL-35- and IL-10-dependent mannerLauren W Collison
Department of Immunology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105 3678, USA
J Immunol 182:6121-8. 2009..These data suggest that it is the induction of suppression, rather than the function of T(reg) that is obligatorily contact dependent...
- Exacerbation of delayed-type hypersensitivity responses in EBV-induced gene-3 (EBI-3)-deficient miceHonglian Tong
Department of Pharmacy, FuZhou Medical College of NanChang University, Fuzhou 344000, China
Immunol Lett 128:108-15. 2010....
- IL-35-mediated induction of a potent regulatory T cell populationLauren W Collison
Department of Immunology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Nat Immunol 11:1093-101. 2010..Thus, iT(R)35 cells constitute a key mediator of infectious tolerance and contribute to T(reg) cell-mediated tumor progression. Furthermore, iT(R)35 cells generated ex vivo might have therapeutic utility...
- IL-27 structural analysis demonstrates similarities with ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and leads to the identification of antagonistic variantsFrancois Rousseau
Unité Mixte Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale 564, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire d Angers, 49033 Angers, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:19420-5. 2010IL-27, consisting of the subunits IL-27p28 and Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3), is a heterodimeric cytokine belonging to the IL-6/IL-12 family of cytokines...
- A role for IL-27p28 as an antagonist of gp130-mediated signalingJason S Stumhofer
University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Nat Immunol 11:1119-26. 2010..Notably, the IL-27 subunits p28 (IL-27p28) and EBI3 are not always expressed together, which suggests that they may have unique functions...
- EBI3 deficiency leads to diminished T helper type 1 and increased T helper type 2 mediated airway inflammationElif Dokmeci
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Pediatric Pulmonology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Immunology 132:559-66. 2011..A critical role for Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3) in these responses has been proposed...
- Deficiency in EBV-induced gene 3 (EBI3) in MRL/lpr mice results in pathological alteration of autoimmune glomerulonephritis and sialadenitisTakashi Igawa
Department of Medicine and Biosystemic Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, 812 8582, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 19:33-41. 2009..the role of IL-27 in the development of autoimmune disorders in MRL/lpr mice, we disrupted the EBV-induced gene 3 (EBI3), which is a subunit of IL-27...
- Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 negatively regulates IL-17, IL-22 and RORgamma tJianfei Yang
Department of Immunology and Inflammation, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Ridgefield, CT 06877, USA
Eur J Immunol 38:1204-14. 2008Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3) associates with p28 to form IL-27 and with IL-12p35 to form IL-35. IL-27Ralpha(-/-) mice studies indicate that IL-27 negatively regulates Th17 cell differentiation...
- Analysis of cytokine regulators inducing interferon production by mouse uterine natural killer cellsJ H Zhang
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada
Biol Reprod 69:404-11. 2003..The four genes were induced by gd6, and uNK cells isolated from midgestation transcribed IL-23alpha and IL-27R. This study advances the understanding of uNK cell activation during normal pregnancy...
- IL-27 regulates IL-12 responsiveness of naive CD4+ T cells through Stat1-dependent and -independent mechanismsSophie Lucas
Department of Molecular Biology, Genentech, 1 DNA Way, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:15047-52. 2003..Therefore, although IL-27 is unable to drive IFN gamma production on its own, it plays an important role in the early steps of TH1 commitment by contributing in a paracrine manner to the control of IL-12 responsiveness...
- Impaired Th1 responses in mice deficient in Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 and challenged with physiological doses of Leishmania majorSabine Zahn
Department of Dermatology, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
Eur J Immunol 35:1106-12. 2005..of the IL-12 family, is a heterodimer composed of p28 and IL-12p40-related Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3), and was shown to be produced by DC...
- Protection from lethal septic peritonitis by neutralizing the biological function of interleukin 27Stefan Wirtz
Laboratory of Immunology, I Medical Clinic, University of Mainz, 55131 Mainz, Germany
J Exp Med 203:1875-81. 2006..Furthermore, mice deficient for the EBI3 subunit of IL-27 were resistant to CLP-induced septic peritonitis as compared with wild-type controls, and this ..
- Lung CD11c+ cells from mice deficient in Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI-3) prevent airway hyper-responsiveness in experimental asthmaMichael Hausding
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Lung Immunology, I Medical Clinic, University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany, and Institut Universitaire de Pathologie Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur J Immunol 37:1663-77. 2007..These results indicate a novel role for EBI-3 in controlling local immune responses in the lungs in experimental asthma...
- IL-35 is a novel cytokine with therapeutic effects against collagen-induced arthritis through the expansion of regulatory T cells and suppression of Th17 cellsWanda Niedbala
Division of Immunology, Infection and Inflammation, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Eur J Immunol 37:3021-9. 2007Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3) and the p35 subunit of IL-12 have been reported to form a heterodimeric hematopoietin in human and mouse...
- The inhibitory cytokine IL-35 contributes to regulatory T-cell functionLauren W Collison
Department of Immunology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Nature 450:566-9. 2007..Here we demonstrate that Epstein-Barr-virus-induced gene 3 (Ebi3, which encodes IL-27beta) and interleukin-12 alpha (Il12a, which encodes IL-12alpha/p35) are highly expressed by ..
- Cutting edge: a key pathogenic role of IL-27 in T cell- mediated hepatitisJuergen Siebler
First Department of Medicine, University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Immunol 180:30-3. 2008..In this study, we identify the cytokine IL-27p28/EBI3 as a major pathogenic factor in the ConA model of T cell-mediated hepatitis...
- CD4+ T cell help and innate-derived IL-27 induce Blimp-1-dependent IL-10 production by antiviral CTLsJie Sun
The Beirne B Carter Center for Immunology Research, The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Nat Immunol 12:327-34. 2011..These findings reveal a previously unrecognized pathway that coordinates signals derived from innate and helper T cells to control the production of a regulatory cytokine by CTLs during acute viral infection...