Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Dmc1
Description: DNA meiotic recombinase 1
Alias: Dmc1h, Lim15, Mei11, sgdp, meiotic recombination protein DMC1/LIM15 homolog, DMC1 dosage suppressor of mck1 homolog, meiosis-specific homologous recombination, disrupted meiotic cDNA 1 homolog
- Barchi M, Mahadevaiah S, Di Giacomo M, Baudat F, de Rooij D, Burgoyne P, et al. Surveillance of different recombination defects in mouse spermatocytes yields distinct responses despite elimination at an identical developmental stage. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:7203-15 pubmed..b>Dmc1(-)(/)(-) spermatocytes, impaired in DSB repair, appear to arrest at or about late zygonema...
- Munroe R, Bergstrom R, Zheng Q, Libby B, Smith R, John S, et al. Mouse mutants from chemically mutagenized embryonic stem cells. Nat Genet. 2000;24:318-21 pubmed..This technology affords several advantages over traditional mutagenesis, including the ability to conduct shortened breeding schemes and to screen for mutant phenotypes directly in ES cells or their differentiated derivatives. ..
- Pittman D, Cobb J, Schimenti K, Wilson L, Cooper D, Brignull E, et al. Meiotic prophase arrest with failure of chromosome synapsis in mice deficient for Dmc1, a germline-specific RecA homolog. Mol Cell. 1998;1:697-705 pubmedb>DMC1 is a meiosis-specific gene first discovered in yeast that encodes a protein with homology to RecA and may be component of recombination nodules...
- Menke D, Koubova J, Page D. Sexual differentiation of germ cells in XX mouse gonads occurs in an anterior-to-posterior wave. Dev Biol. 2003;262:303-12 pubmed..5 to 16.5. Consistent with these results, we find that embryonic ovarian germ cells upregulate the meiotic gene Dmc1 and downregulate the Oct4 transcription factor in an anterior-to-posterior wave...
- Yang F, Eckardt S, Leu N, McLaughlin K, Wang P. Mouse TEX15 is essential for DNA double-strand break repair and chromosomal synapsis during male meiosis. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:673-9 pubmed publisher..spermatocytes, DNA double-strand breaks (DSBs) are formed, but localization of the recombination proteins RAD51 and DMC1 to meiotic chromosomes is severely impaired...
- Mahadevaiah S, Bourc his D, de Rooij D, Bestor T, Turner J, Burgoyne P. Extensive meiotic asynapsis in mice antagonises meiotic silencing of unsynapsed chromatin and consequently disrupts meiotic sex chromosome inactivation. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:263-76 pubmed publisher..In contrast, three mutants (Dnmt3l, Msh5, and Dmc1) with high levels of asynapsis and numerous persistent unrepaired DSBs have a severely impaired MSUC response...
- Wojtasz L, Cloutier J, Baumann M, Daniel K, Varga J, Fu J, et al. Meiotic DNA double-strand breaks and chromosome asynapsis in mice are monitored by distinct HORMAD2-independent and -dependent mechanisms. Genes Dev. 2012;26:958-73 pubmed publisher..HORMAD2 is required for the elimination of the asynaptic Spo11(-/-), but not the asynaptic and DSB repair-defective Dmc1(-/-) oocytes...
- Yoshida K, Kondoh G, Matsuda Y, Habu T, Nishimune Y, Morita T. The mouse RecA-like gene Dmc1 is required for homologous chromosome synapsis during meiosis. Mol Cell. 1998;1:707-18 pubmedThe mouse Dmc1 gene is an E. coli RecA homolog that is specifically expressed in meiosis. The DMC1 protein was detected in leptotene-to-zygotene spermatocytes, when homolog pairing likely initiates...
- Chuma S, Nakatsuji N. Autonomous transition into meiosis of mouse fetal germ cells in vitro and its inhibition by gp130-mediated signaling. Dev Biol. 2001;229:468-79 pubmed..5-11.5 dpc began to express meiosis-specific genes, Scp3 and Dmc1, after dissociation and cultivation on feeder cells for several days...
- Reinholdt L, Schimenti J. Mei1 is epistatic to Dmc1 during mouse meiosis. Chromosoma. 2005;114:127-34 pubmed..To test this, we examined meiosis in Mei(m1Jcs)/Mei1(m1Jcs) (Mei1(-/-)) and Dmc1(tm1Jcs)/Dmc1(tm1Jcs) (Dmc1(-/-)) mice and mice homozygous at both loci (Dmc1(-/-) Mei1(-/-)), exploiting the fact ..
- Keeney S, Baudat F, Angeles M, Zhou Z, Copeland N, Jenkins N, et al. A mouse homolog of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae meiotic recombination DNA transesterase Spo11p. Genomics. 1999;61:170-82 pubmed..Taken together, these results strongly suggest that this gene encodes the functional homolog of yeast Spo11p, which in turn suggests that the mechanism of meiotic recombination initiation is conserved between yeast and mammals. ..
- Baltus A, Menke D, Hu Y, Goodheart M, Carpenter A, de Rooij D, et al. In germ cells of mouse embryonic ovaries, the decision to enter meiosis precedes premeiotic DNA replication. Nat Genet. 2006;38:1430-4 pubmed..Combined with previous findings, these genetic data suggest that active differentiation of ovarian germ cells commences at a regulatory point upstream of premeiotic DNA replication. ..
- Bannister L, Pezza R, Donaldson J, de Rooij D, Schimenti K, Camerini Otero R, et al. A dominant, recombination-defective allele of Dmc1 causing male-specific sterility. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e105 pubmed..The authors identified a male dominant sterile allele of Dmc1, Dmc1(Mei11), encoding a missense mutation in the L2 DNA binding domain that abolishes strand invasion activity...
- Lange J, Pan J, Cole F, Thelen M, Jasin M, Keeney S. ATM controls meiotic double-strand-break formation. Nature. 2011;479:237-40 pubmed publisher..Our findings explain previously puzzling phenotypes of Atm-null mice and provide a molecular basis for the gonadal dysgenesis observed in ataxia telangiectasia, the human syndrome caused by ATM deficiency...
- Lin Y, Gill M, Koubova J, Page D. Germ cell-intrinsic and -extrinsic factors govern meiotic initiation in mouse embryos. Science. 2008;322:1685-7 pubmed publisher..Within a brief developmental window, Dazl-expressing germ cells in both XX and XY embryos actively acquire the ability to interpret RA as a meiosis-inducing signal. ..
- Sato S, Seki N, Hotta Y, Tabata S. Expression profiles of a human gene identified as a structural homologue of meiosis-specific recA-like genes. DNA Res. 1995;2:183-6 pubmed..The result strongly suggests that the mRNA species coding for the putative meiosis-specific RecA-like protein in human is predominantly expressed in testis possibly as an alternative splicing product of a ubiquitously expressed gene. ..
- Koubova J, Hu Y, Bhattacharyya T, Soh Y, Gill M, Goodheart M, et al. Retinoic acid activates two pathways required for meiosis in mice. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004541 pubmed publisher..Our findings strengthen the importance of RA and Dazl in the meiotic transition, provide important details about the Stra8 pathway, and open avenues to investigate early meiosis through analysis of Rec8 induction and function. ..
- Boateng K, Bellani M, Gregoretti I, Pratto F, Camerini Otero R. Homologous pairing preceding SPO11-mediated double-strand breaks in mice. Dev Cell. 2013;24:196-205 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the DSB-triggered homology search may mainly serve to proofread and stabilize the pre-DSB pairing of homologous chromosomes. ..
- Llano E, Herrán Y, García Tuñón I, Gutiérrez Caballero C, de Alava E, Barbero J, et al. Meiotic cohesin complexes are essential for the formation of the axial element in mice. J Cell Biol. 2012;197:877-85 pubmed publisher..from mice lacking the two meiosis-specific cohesin subunits RAD21L and REC8 were unable to initiate RAD51- but not DMC1-mediated double-strand break repair, were not able to assemble their AEs, and arrested as early as the leptotene ..
- Ogi T, Mimura J, Hikida M, Fujimoto H, Fujii Kuriyama Y, Ohmori H. Expression of human and mouse genes encoding polkappa: testis-specific developmental regulation and AhR-dependent inducible transcription. Genes Cells. 2001;6:943-53 pubmed..Thus, polkappa seems to function to reduce mutagenesis at benzo[a]pyrene-adducts, although it may also have a role related to spermatogenesis. ..
- Li Q, Ishikawa T, Miyoshi H, Oshima M, Taketo M. A targeted mutation of Nkd1 impairs mouse spermatogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:2831-9 pubmed..These results suggest that deletion of the EF-hand from Nkd1 reduces the number of the elongating spermatids at haploid stage. In contrast, the mutant Nkd1 did not affect intestinal polyposis in Apc(Delta716) mice. ..
- Pandey R, Tokuzawa Y, Yang Z, Hayashi E, Ichisaka T, Kajita S, et al. Tudor domain containing 12 (TDRD12) is essential for secondary PIWI interacting RNA biogenesis in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:16492-7 pubmed publisher..Cell-culture studies with the insect ortholog of TDRD12 suggest a role for the multidomain protein in mediating complex formation with other participants during secondary piRNA biogenesis. ..
- Morozumi Y, Ino R, Takaku M, Hosokawa M, Chuma S, Kurumizaka H. Human PSF concentrates DNA and stimulates duplex capture in DMC1-mediated homologous pairing. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:3031-41 pubmed publisher..We tested the effect of PSF on homologous pairing by the meiosis-specific recombinase DMC1, and found that human PSF robustly stimulated it...
- Enomoto R, Kinebuchi T, Sato M, Yagi H, Shibata T, Kurumizaka H, et al. Positive role of the mammalian TBPIP/HOP2 protein in DMC1-mediated homologous pairing. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:35263-72 pubmed..study, we found that the purified mouse TBPIP/HOP2 protein stimulated homologous pairing catalyzed by the meiotic DMC1 recombinase in vitro...
- Finsterbusch F, Ravindranathan R, Dereli I, Stanzione M, Tränkner D, Toth A. Alignment of Homologous Chromosomes and Effective Repair of Programmed DNA Double-Strand Breaks during Mouse Meiosis Require the Minichromosome Maintenance Domain Containing 2 (MCMDC2) Protein. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006393 pubmed publisher..DNA ends at break sites are resected. The resultant 3-prime single-stranded DNA overhangs recruit RAD51 and DMC1 recombinases that promote the invasion of homologous duplex DNAs by the resected DNA ends...
- Liebe B, Petukhova G, Barchi M, Bellani M, Braselmann H, Nakano T, et al. Mutations that affect meiosis in male mice influence the dynamics of the mid-preleptotene and bouquet stages. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:3768-81 pubmed..Mlh1(-/-), Terf1(+/-) and Hr6b(-/-) spermatogenesis, but not in mice lacking recombination proteins DMC1 and HOP2, the non-homologous end-joining DNA repair factor KU80 and the ATM downstream effector GADD45a...
- Soh Y, Mikedis M, Kojima M, Godfrey A, de Rooij D, Page D. Meioc maintains an extended meiotic prophase I in mice. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006704 pubmed publisher..Specifically, MEIOC, together with YTHDC2, promotes a meiotic (as opposed to mitotic) cell cycle program via post-transcriptional control of their target transcripts. ..
- Cooke H, Saunders P. Mouse models of male infertility. Nat Rev Genet. 2002;3:790-801 pubmed..Targeted mutagenesis in the mouse provides a powerful method to analyse these steps and has provided new insights into the origins of male infertility. ..
- Geyer C, Saba R, Kato Y, Anderson A, Chappell V, Saga Y, et al. Rhox13 is translated in premeiotic germ cells in male and female mice and is regulated by NANOS2 in the male. Biol Reprod. 2012;86:127 pubmed publisher..These results strongly suggest that RHOX13 expression is regulated at a posttranscriptional step by direct interaction of NANOS2 with Rhox13 mRNA to suppress translation. ..
- Endo T, Freinkman E, de Rooij D, Page D. Periodic production of retinoic acid by meiotic and somatic cells coordinates four transitions in mouse spermatogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E10132-E10141 pubmed publisher..In combination, these elements underpin the spatiotemporal coordination of spermatogenesis and ensure its prodigious output in adult males. ..
- Kumar R, Bourbon H, de Massy B. Functional conservation of Mei4 for meiotic DNA double-strand break formation from yeasts to mice. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1266-80 pubmed publisher..that, in mice, MEI4 is localized in discrete foci on the axes of meiotic chromosomes that do not overlap with DMC1 and RPA foci...
- Kim G, Georg I, Scherthan H, Merkenschlager M, Guillou F, Scherer G, et al. Dicer is required for Sertoli cell function and survival. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:867-75 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results of this study show that Dicer is required for Sertoli cell function and survival and for spermatogenesis in mice. ..
- Bowles J, Koopman P. Retinoic acid, meiosis and germ cell fate in mammals. Development. 2007;134:3401-11 pubmed..Although this knowledge clarifies a long-standing mystery in reproductive biology, it also poses many new questions, which we discuss in this review. ..
- Shin Y, Ren Y, Suzuki H, Golnoski K, Ahn H, Mico V, et al. Transcription factors SOHLH1 and SOHLH2 coordinate oocyte differentiation without affecting meiosis I. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:2106-2117 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Sohlh1 and Sohlh2 are essential regulators of oocyte differentiation but do not affect meiosis I. ..
- Wu Q, Fukuda K, Weinstein M, Graff J, Saga Y. SMAD2 and p38 signaling pathways act in concert to determine XY primordial germ cell fate in mice. Development. 2015;142:575-86 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we propose a model in which p38 and SMAD2 signaling coordinate to determine the sexual fate of XY PGCs. ..
- Saban M, Nguyen N, Hammond T, Saban R. Gene expression profiling of mouse bladder inflammatory responses to LPS, substance P, and antigen-stimulation. Am J Pathol. 2002;160:2095-110 pubmed..Further characterization of the inflammation-induced gene expression profiles obtained here may identify novel biomarkers and shed light into the etiology of cystitis. ..
- Bagheri Fam S, Sim H, Bernard P, Jayakody I, Taketo M, Scherer G, et al. Loss of Fgfr2 leads to partial XY sex reversal. Dev Biol. 2008;314:71-83 pubmed..In summary, we provide evidence that FGFR2 is important for male sex determination in mice, thereby rendering human FGFR2 a candidate gene for unsolved DSD cases such as 10q26 deletions. ..
- Lupiáñez D, Real F, Dadhich R, Carmona F, Burgos M, Barrionuevo F, et al. Pattern and density of vascularization in mammalian testes, ovaries, and ovotestes. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2012;318:170-81 pubmed publisher..The expression of CAV1 in the ovary of most animal taxa, from nematodes to mammals, strongly suggests a role for this gene in the female meiosis. ..
- Sato S, Kobayashi T, Hotta Y, Tabata S. Characterization of a mouse recA-like gene specifically expressed in testis. DNA Res. 1995;2:147-50 pubmed..The predicted amino acid sequence showed 72-78% similarity to those of Lim15 from Lilium and other meiosis-specific RecA-like proteins...
- Yang F, Gell K, van der Heijden G, Eckardt S, Leu N, Page D, et al. Meiotic failure in male mice lacking an X-linked factor. Genes Dev. 2008;22:682-91 pubmed publisher..Thus, TEX11 promotes initiation and/or maintenance of synapsis and formation of crossovers, and may provide a physical link between these two meiotic processes. ..
- Cunto F, Imarisio S, Camera P, Boitani C, Altruda F, Silengo L. Essential role of citron kinase in cytokinesis of spermatogenic precursors. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:4819-26 pubmed..The same cells display a severe cytokinesis defect, resulting in the production of multinucleated cells and apoptosis. Our data indicate that Citron kinase is specifically required for cytokinesis of the male germ line. ..
- Suzuki H, Tsuda M, Kiso M, Saga Y. Nanos3 maintains the germ cell lineage in the mouse by suppressing both Bax-dependent and -independent apoptotic pathways. Dev Biol. 2008;318:133-42 pubmed publisher..Our findings thus suggest that heterogeneity exists in the PGC populations and that Nanos3 maintains the germ cell lineage by suppressing both Bax-dependent and Bax-independent apoptotic pathways. ..
- Saba R, Kato Y, Saga Y. NANOS2 promotes male germ cell development independent of meiosis suppression. Dev Biol. 2014;385:32-40 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that NANOS2 is not merely a suppressor of meiosis, but instead plays pivotal roles in the sexual differentiation of male germ cells. ..
- Hayashi K, Yoshida K, Matsui Y. A histone H3 methyltransferase controls epigenetic events required for meiotic prophase. Nature. 2005;438:374-8 pubmed..These findings indicate that meiosis-specific epigenetic events in mammals are crucial for proper meiotic progression. ..
- Shin Y, McGuire M, Rajkovic A. Mouse HORMAD1 is a meiosis i checkpoint protein that modulates DNA double- strand break repair during female meiosis. Biol Reprod. 2013;89:29 pubmed..5 wild-type and Hormad1(?/?) ovaries and monitored DSB repair using gammaH2AX, RAD51, and DMC1 immunofluorescence...
- Souquet B, Abby E, Hervé R, Finsterbusch F, Tourpin S, Le Bouffant R, et al. MEIOB targets single-strand DNA and is necessary for meiotic recombination. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003784 pubmed publisher..MEIOB localization in Dmc1 (-/-) spermatocytes indicated that it accumulates on resected DNA...
- Tanaka S, Toyooka Y, Akasu R, Katoh Fukui Y, Nakahara Y, Suzuki R, et al. The mouse homolog of Drosophila Vasa is required for the development of male germ cells. Genes Dev. 2000;14:841-53 pubmed..These results indicate that the loss of Mvh function causes a deficiency in the proliferation and differentiation of mouse male germ cells. ..
- Matsuda Y, Habu T, Hori T, Morita T. Chromosome mapping of the mouse homologue of DMC1, the yeast meiosis-specific homologous recombination gene. Chromosome Res. 1996;4:249-50 pubmed
- Stanzione M, Baumann M, Papanikos F, Dereli I, Lange J, Ramlal A, et al. Meiotic DNA break formation requires the unsynapsed chromosome axis-binding protein IHO1 (CCDC36) in mice. Nat Cell Biol. 2016;18:1208-1220 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that HORMAD1-IHO1 interaction provides a mechanism for the selective promotion of DSB formation along unsynapsed chromosome axes. ..
- Habu T, Wakabayashi N, Yoshida K, Yomogida K, Nishimune Y, Morita T. p53 Protein interacts specifically with the meiosis-specific mammalian RecA-like protein DMC1 in meiosis. Carcinogenesis. 2004;25:889-93 pubmed..Here, we show that p53 binds to the mouse meiosis-specific RecA-like protein Mus musculus DMC1 (MmDMC1). The C-terminal domain (amino acid 234-340) of MmDMC1 binds to DNA-binding domain of p53 protein...
- Gromley A, Churchman M, Zindy F, Sherr C. Transient expression of the Arf tumor suppressor during male germ cell and eye development in Arf-Cre reporter mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:6285-90 pubmed publisher..Crossing the Arf(Cre/FL) alleles onto a Pdgfrbeta(FL/FL) background normalized all histopathology and restored vision fully. ..
- Habu T, Taki T, West A, Nishimune Y, Morita T. The mouse and human homologs of DMC1, the yeast meiosis-specific homologous recombination gene, have a common unique form of exon-skipped transcript in meiosis. Nucleic Acids Res. 1996;24:470-7 pubmed..In yeast an Escherichia coli RecA-like gene, DMC1, is expressed in meiotic prophase and its product co-localizes with Rad51 protein on zygotene chromosomes...
- Robert T, Nore A, Brun C, Maffre C, Crimi B, Bourbon H, et al. The TopoVIB-Like protein family is required for meiotic DNA double-strand break formation. Science. 2016;351:943-9 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that the mouse TOPOVIBL protein interacts and forms a complex with SPO11 and is required for meiotic DSB formation. We conclude that meiotic DSBs are catalyzed by a complex involving SPO11 and TOPOVIBL. ..
- Cui S, Ross A, Stallings N, Parker K, Capel B, Quaggin S. Disrupted gonadogenesis and male-to-female sex reversal in Pod1 knockout mice. Development. 2004;131:4095-105 pubmed..Our results establish that Pod1 is essential for gonadal development, and place it in a transcriptional network that orchestrates cell fate decisions in gonadal progenitors. ..
- Pacheco S, Marcet Ortega M, Lange J, Jasin M, Keeney S, Roig I. The ATM signaling cascade promotes recombination-dependent pachytene arrest in mouse spermatocytes. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005017 pubmed publisher..Implications of these findings for understanding the complex relationships between spermatocyte arrest and apoptosis are discussed. ..
- Kuramochi Miyagawa S, Kimura T, Ijiri T, Isobe T, Asada N, Fujita Y, et al. Mili, a mammalian member of piwi family gene, is essential for spermatogenesis. Development. 2004;131:839-49 pubmed..These data indicate that MILI is essential for the differentiation of spermatocytes. ..
- Kogo H, Tsutsumi M, Ohye T, Inagaki H, Abe T, Kurahashi H. HORMAD1-dependent checkpoint/surveillance mechanism eliminates asynaptic oocytes. Genes Cells. 2012;17:439-54 pubmed publisher..Our present results provide clues to HORMAD1-dependent checkpoint in response to asynapsis in mammalian meiosis...
- Marcet Ortega M, Pacheco S, Martínez Marchal A, Castillo H, FLORES E, Jasin M, et al. p53 and TAp63 participate in the recombination-dependent pachytene arrest in mouse spermatocytes. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006845 pubmed publisher..These data affirm that recombination-dependent and sex body-deficient arrests occur via genetically separable mechanisms. ..