Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cyp17a1
Description: cytochrome P450, family 17, subfamily a, polypeptide 1
Alias: Cyp17, p450c17, steroid 17-alpha-hydroxylase/17,20 lyase, 17-alpha-hydroxyprogesterone aldolase, CYPXVII, cytochrome P450 17A1, cytochrome P450, 17, cytochrome P450, 17a1, cytochrome P450-C17, cytochrome P450c17, steroid 17-alpha hydroxylase
- Liu C, Parker K, Yao H. WNT4/beta-catenin pathway maintains female germ cell survival by inhibiting activin betaB in the mouse fetal ovary. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10382 pubmed publisher..Maintenance of female germ cells hinge upon a delicate balance between positive (WNT4 and beta-catenin) and negative (activin betaB) regulators derived from the somatic cells in the fetal ovary. ..
- Koizumi M, Oyama K, Yamakami Y, Kida T, Satoh R, Kato S, et al. Lgr4 controls specialization of female gonads in mice. Biol Reprod. 2015;93:90 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that Lgr4 is critical for ovarian somatic cell specialization via the cooperative signaling of Rspo1 and Wnt/beta-catenin. ..
- Tevosian S, JimÃ©nez E, Hatch H, Jiang T, Morse D, Fox S, et al. Adrenal Development in Mice Requires GATA4 and GATA6 Transcription Factors. Endocrinology. 2015;156:2503-17 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a requirement for GATA factors in adrenal development and provide a novel tool to characterize the transcriptional network controlling adrenocortical cell fates. ..
- Compagnone N, Bulfone A, Rubenstein J, Mellon S. Steroidogenic enzyme P450c17 is expressed in the embryonic central nervous system. Endocrinology. 1995;136:5212-23 pubmed..However, cytochrome P450c17, which has 17-hydroxylase and 17,20-lyase activity and is thought to be required for the synthesis of ..
- Keller S, Jones J, Boyle A, Barrow L, Killen P, Green D, et al. Kidney and retinal defects (Krd), a transgene-induced mutation with a deletion of mouse chromosome 19 that includes the Pax2 locus. Genomics. 1994;23:309-20 pubmed..This deletion, Del(19)TgN8052Mm, will be useful for genetic and functional studies of this region of mouse Chromosome 19. ..
- Hinshelwood M, Shelton J, Richardson J, Mendelson C. Temporal and spatial expression of liver receptor homologue-1 (LRH-1) during embryogenesis suggests a potential role in gonadal development. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:159-68 pubmed
- Nordqvist K, Tohonen V. An mRNA differential display strategy for cloning genes expressed during mouse gonad development. Int J Dev Biol. 1997;41:627-38 pubmed..3 which corresponds to a part of the gene encoding the steroid hydroxylase 3betaHSD I, was shown to be a valuable marker for adrenal development and for Leydig cell differentiation and organization during testis development. ..
- Compagnone N, Zhang P, Vigne J, Mellon S. Novel role for the nuclear phosphoprotein SET in transcriptional activation of P450c17 and initiation of neurosteroidogenesis. Mol Endocrinol. 2000;14:875-88 pubmed..The crucial enzyme for the synthesis of DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) in the brain is cytochrome P450c17. The transcriptional strategy for the expression of P450c17 is clearly different in the brain from that in ..
- Wang F, Huang J, Zhu Z, Ma X, Cao L, Zhang Y, et al. Transcriptome Analysis of WHV/c-myc Transgenic Mice Implicates Cytochrome P450 Enzyme 17A1 as a Promising Biomarker for Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2016;9:739-49 pubmed publisher..The cytochrome P450, family 17, subfamily A, polypeptide 1 (CYP17A1), a hepatic P450 enzyme, was revealed to be overexpressed in the liver tissues of Tg mice at both preneoplastic ..
- Wen Q, Wang Y, Tang J, Cheng C, Liu Y. Sertoli Cell Wt1 Regulates Peritubular Myoid Cell and Fetal Leydig Cell Differentiation during Fetal Testis Development. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0167920 pubmed publisher..and interstitial progenitor cell marker gene Vcam1 were down-regulated, whereas FLC marker genes StAR, Cyp11a1, Cyp17a1 and Hsd3b1 were up-regulated, in neonatal Wt1SC-cKO testes...
- Herron B, Bryda E, Heverly S, Collins D, Flaherty L. Scraggly, a new hair loss mutation on mouse chromosome 19. Mamm Genome. 1999;10:864-9 pubmed..x BALB/c, was used to map markers around this mutation as well as to map the potential candidate genes, Fgf8 and Cyp17. Allelism tests between sgl and asebia (ab), another hair loss mutation on mouse Chr 19, showed that these genes ..
- Payne A, Youngblood G, Sha L, Burgos Trinidad M, Hammond S. Hormonal regulation of steroidogenic enzyme gene expression in Leydig cells. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1992;43:895-906 pubmed publisher..cells, steady state levels of mRNA of CYP11A, 3?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase ??- >??-isomerase (3?HSD), and CYP17 are differentially regulated...
- Arlt W, Martens J, Song M, Wang J, Auchus R, Miller W. Molecular evolution of adrenarche: structural and functional analysis of p450c17 from four primate species. Endocrinology. 2002;143:4665-72 pubmed publisher..produced from pregnenolone by the successive 17alpha-hydroxylase and 17,20 lyase activities of a single enzyme, P450c17. To ascertain whether sequence differences in P450c17 contribute to adrenarche, we cloned the rhesus monkey cDNA ..
- Hu L, Monteiro A, Johnston H, King P, O Shaughnessy P. Expression of Cyp21a1 and Cyp11b1 in the fetal mouse testis. Reproduction. 2007;134:585-91 pubmed..This may provide further evidence of a link between fetal Leydig cells and adrenocortical cells but does not discount the possibility that these steroidogenic cells represent 'ectopic' adrenal cells. ..
- Kim S, Kim J, Choe N, Cho I, Kim J, Kim D, et al. Regulation of mouse steroidogenesis by WHISTLE and JMJD1C through histone methylation balance. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:6389-403 pubmed publisher..performs functions in the development of mouse testes by regulating the expression of the steroidogenesis marker, p450c17, via SF-1-mediated transcription...
- Mellon S, Gong W, Griffin L. Niemann pick type C disease as a model for defects in neurosteroidogenesis. Endocr Res. 2004;30:727-35 pubmed..Hormonal replacement was ineffective in rescuing the embryos. The function of P450c17 and/or its steroid products in early mouse development is unknown...
- Miyado M, Nakamura M, Miyado K, Morohashi K, Sano S, Nagata E, et al. Mamld1 deficiency significantly reduces mRNA expression levels of multiple genes expressed in mouse fetal Leydig cells but permits normal genital and reproductive development. Endocrinology. 2012;153:6033-40 pubmed publisher..However, no demonstrable abnormality was identified for cytochrome P450 17A1 and 3?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (HSD3B) protein expression levels, appearance of external and internal ..
- Tomaszewski J, Joseph A, Archambeault D, Yao H. Essential roles of inhibin beta A in mouse epididymal coiling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:11322-7 pubmed..These results demonstrated that Inhba, a mesenchyme-specific gene, acts collectively with testosterone to facilitate epididymal coiling by stimulating epithelial proliferation. ..
- Fan Y, Sasi R, Lee C, Winter J, Waterman M, Lin C. Localization of the human CYP17 gene (cytochrome P450(17 alpha)) to 10q24.3 by fluorescence in situ hybridization and simultaneous chromosome banding. Genomics. 1992;14:1110-1 pubmedThe gene for human P450(17 alpha) (CYP17) was previously mapped to chromosome 10 through analysis of somatic cell hybrids...
- Bagheri Fam S, Ono M, Li L, Zhao L, Ryan J, Lai R, et al. FGFR2 mutation in 46,XY sex reversal with craniosynostosis. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:6699-710 pubmed publisher..In summary, this study identifies the first FGFR2 mutation in a 46,XY GD patient. We conclude that, in certain rare genetic contexts, maintaining normal levels of FGFR2 signaling is important for human testis determination. ..
- Perkins L, Payne A. Quantification of P450scc, P450(17) alpha, and iron sulfur protein reductase in Leydig cells and adrenals of inbred strains of mice. Endocrinology. 1988;123:2675-82 pubmed..The expression of P450scc and ISP reductase in Leydig cells and adrenal glands appears to be influenced by both genetic and tissue-specific factors. ..
- Ansari H, Pearce P, Maher D, Broad T. Human chromosome 10 loci map to three different sheep chromosomes. Mamm Genome. 1995;6:46-8 pubmed..Two loci from human Chr 10q, cytochrome P450 subfamily XVII (CYP17) and the tachykinin 2 receptor (TAC2R), were assigned to sheep Chrs 22q21-q23 and 25q14-q23 respectively...
- Taylor B, Phillips S, Bascom R, McInnes R. The retinal outer segment membrane protein-1 gene (Rom1) maps to the proximal end of mouse chromosome 19. Genomics. 1994;23:510-1 pubmed
- Miyashita Lin E, Hevner R, Wassarman K, Martinez S, Rubenstein J. Early neocortical regionalization in the absence of thalamic innervation. Science. 1999;285:906-9 pubmed..This provides evidence that patterning mechanisms intrinsic to the neocortex specify the basic organization of its functional subdivisions. ..
- Rieger D, Reichenberger E, McLean W, Sidow A, Olsen B. A double-deletion mutation in the Pitx3 gene causes arrested lens development in aphakia mice. Genomics. 2001;72:61-72 pubmed..We conclude that the ak mutation consists of two deletions, the larger of which removes part of Pitx3, indicating a crucial role of this gene in early lens development...
- Kaftanovskaya E, Lopez C, Ferguson L, Myhr C, Agoulnik A. Genetic ablation of androgen receptor signaling in fetal Leydig cell lineage affects Leydig cell functions in adult testis. FASEB J. 2015;29:2327-37 pubmed publisher..We propose that the antiandrogenic exposure during early development may similarly result in an increase of FLC in adult testis, leading to abnormal LC differentiation. ..
- Liu C, Peng J, Matzuk M, Yao H. Lineage specification of ovarian theca cells requires multicellular interactions via oocyte and granulosa cells. Nat Commun. 2015;6:6934 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide the first genetic evidence for the origins of theca cells and reveal a multicellular interaction critical for the formation of a functional theca. ..
- Chawengsaksophak K, Svingen T, Ng E, Epp T, Spiller C, Clark C, et al. Loss of Wnt5a disrupts primordial germ cell migration and male sexual development in mice. Biol Reprod. 2012;86:1-12 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate multiple roles for Wnt5a during mammalian reproductive development and help to clarify further the etiology of Robinow syndrome (OMIM 268310), a disease previously linked to the WNT5A pathway. ..
- Liu Y, Yao Z, Bendavid C, Borgmeyer C, Han Z, Cavalli L, et al. Haploinsufficiency of cytochrome P450 17alpha-hydroxylase/17,20 lyase (CYP17) causes infertility in male mice. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:2380-9 pubmedCytochrome P450 17alpha-hydroxylase/17,20-lyase (CYP17) is critical in determining cortisol and sex steroid biosynthesis. To investigate how CYP17 functions in vivo, we generated mice with a targeted deletion of CYP17...
- Tevosian S, Albrecht K, Crispino J, Fujiwara Y, Eicher E, Orkin S. Gonadal differentiation, sex determination and normal Sry expression in mice require direct interaction between transcription partners GATA4 and FOG2. Development. 2002;129:4627-34 pubmed..cell function (Sox9, Mis and Dhh) and three Leydig cell steroid biosynthetic enzymes (p450scc, 3betaHSD and p450c17) were not expressed in XY Fog2(-/-) and Gata(ki/ki) gonads, whereas Wnt4, a gene required for normal ovarian ..
- Buck K, Rademacher B, Metten P, Crabbe J. Mapping murine loci for physical dependence on ethanol. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2002;160:398-407 pubmed..Syntenic homology between human and mouse chromosomes suggests that genes related to physical dependence on ethanol may localize to human chromosome regions 10q23-q26, 1q21-q43, 2q11-q32, 5p15/5q14-q21, and 9p24-p22. ..
- Morohashi K, Tsuboi Asai H, Matsushita S, Suda M, Nakashima M, Sasano H, et al. Structural and functional abnormalities in the spleen of an mFtz-F1 gene-disrupted mouse. Blood. 1999;93:1586-94 pubmed..Our results indicate that a lack of the mFtz-F1 gene in mice is associated with structural and functional abnormalities of the splenic vascular system. ..
- Mendoza Villarroel R, Robert N, Martin L, Brousseau C, Tremblay J. The nuclear receptor NR2F2 activates star expression and steroidogenesis in mouse MA-10 and MLTC-1 Leydig cells. Biol Reprod. 2014;91:26 pubmed publisher..These data identify an essential role for the nuclear receptor NR2F2 as a direct activator of Star gene expression in Leydig cells, and thus in the control of steroid hormone biosynthesis. ..
- Buaas F, Gardiner J, Clayton S, Val P, Swain A. In vivo evidence for the crucial role of SF1 in steroid-producing cells of the testis, ovary and adrenal gland. Development. 2012;139:4561-70 pubmed publisher..This study is the first to show the in vivo requirements of SF1 in steroidogenesis and provides novel data on the cellular consequences of the loss of this protein specifically within steroid-producing cells. ..
- Keeney D, Jenkins C, Waterman M. Developmentally regulated expression of adrenal 17 alpha-hydroxylase cytochrome P450 in the mouse embryo. Endocrinology. 1995;136:4872-9 pubmed..in adult mice and rats, and this is explained, in part, by the absence of 17 alpha-hydroxylase cytochrome P450 (P450c17) in adrenal glands of these rodents...
- Nakamura M, Fukami M, Sugawa F, Miyado M, Nonomura K, Ogata T. Mamld1 knockdown reduces testosterone production and Cyp17a1 expression in mouse Leydig tumor cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19123 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Mamld1 knockdown significantly decreased Cyp17a1 expression, but did not affect expressions of other genes involved in testosterone biosynthesis as well as in ..
- Bair S, Mellon S. Deletion of the mouse P450c17 gene causes early embryonic lethality. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:5383-90 pubmed..The synthesis of DHEA and sex steroids, but not mouse glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids, requires P450c17, which catalyzes both 17 alpha-hydroxylase and 17,20-lyase activities...
- Sondhi V, Owen B, Liu J, Chomic R, Kliewer S, Hughes B, et al. Impaired 17,20-Lyase Activity in Male Mice Lacking Cytochrome b5 in Leydig Cells. Mol Endocrinol. 2016;30:469-78 pubmed publisherAndrogen and estrogen biosynthesis in mammals requires the 17,20-lyase activity of cytochrome P450 17A1 (steroid 17-hydroxylase/17,20-lyase)...
- Liu C, Rodriguez K, Yao H. Mapping lineage progression of somatic progenitor cells in the mouse fetal testis. Development. 2016;143:3700-3710 pubmed..These results provide the first lineage progression map that illustrates the sequential establishment of somatic cell populations during testis morphogenesis. ..
- Li X, Youngblood G, Payne A, Hales D. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha inhibition of 17 alpha-hydroxylase/C17-20 lyase gene (Cyp17) expression. Endocrinology. 1995;136:3519-26 pubmed..biosynthesis in Leydig cells is dependent on the action of 17 alpha-hydroxylase/C17-20 lyase cytochrome P450 (P450c17), which is encoded by the Cyp17 gene...
- Burns K, Yan C, Kumar T, Matzuk M. Analysis of ovarian gene expression in follicle-stimulating hormone beta knockout mice. Endocrinology. 2001;142:2742-51 pubmed..Underscoring the usefulness of the FSH-deficient mouse model, this study clarifies aspects of gonadotropin-dependent folliculogenesis, thecal layer development, cycle control in granulosa cells, and luteinization. ..
- Keeney D, Ikeda Y, Waterman M, Parker K. Cholesterol side-chain cleavage cytochrome P450 gene expression in the primitive gut of the mouse embryo does not require steroidogenic factor 1. Mol Endocrinol. 1995;9:1091-8 pubmed
- Keeney D. Perspectives in steroid hydroxylase gene expression: novel sites of expression during embryonic development. Endocr Res. 1995;21:103-7 pubmedb>CYP17 is not expressed in adult mouse adrenal glands but is expressed in a subset of fetal adrenocortical cells, indicating the potential to produce both corticosterone and cortisol during murine embryogenesis...
- Zhang L, Chen M, Wen Q, Li Y, Wang Y, Wang Y, et al. Reprogramming of Sertoli cells to fetal-like Leydig cells by Wt1 ablation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:4003-8 pubmed publisher..This study thus provides a novel concept for somatic cell fate determination in testis development that may also represent an etiology of male infertility in human patients. ..
- Sadovsky Y, Crawford P, Woodson K, Polish J, Clements M, Tourtellotte L, et al. Mice deficient in the orphan receptor steroidogenic factor 1 lack adrenal glands and gonads but express P450 side-chain-cleavage enzyme in the placenta and have normal embryonic serum levels of corticosteroids. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:10939-43 pubmed..These results confirm that SF-1 is an important regulator of adrenal and gonadal development, but its regulation of steroid hydroxylase expression in vivo remains to be established. ..
- Gardner J, Wildenberg S, Keiper N, Novak E, Rusiniak M, Swank R, et al. The mouse pale ear (ep) mutation is the homologue of human Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:9238-43 pubmed..These results establish an animal model of HPS and will facilitate biochemical and molecular analyses of the functions of this protein in the membranes of specialized intracellular organelles. ..
- Liu Y, Yao Z, Papadopoulos V. Cytochrome P450 17alpha hydroxylase/17,20 lyase (CYP17) function in cholesterol biosynthesis: identification of squalene monooxygenase (epoxidase) activity associated with CYP17 in Leydig cells. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:1918-31 pubmedCytochrome P450 17alpha-hydroxylase/17,20-lyase (CYP17) is a microsomal enzyme catalyzing two distinct activities, 17alpha-hydroxylase and 17,20-lyase, essential for the biosynthesis of adrenal and gonadal steroids...
- Greco T, Payne A. Ontogeny of expression of the genes for steroidogenic enzymes P450 side-chain cleavage, 3 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, P450 17 alpha-hydroxylase/C17-20 lyase, and P450 aromatase in fetal mouse gonads. Endocrinology. 1994;135:262-8 pubmed..beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/delta 5-delta 4-isomerase (3 beta HSD), P450 17 alpha-hydroxylase/C17-20 lyase (P450c17), and P450 aromatase (P450arom) was determined before ovaries and testes were distinguishable (13 days ..
- Anakk S, Watanabe M, Ochsner S, McKenna N, Finegold M, Moore D. Combined deletion of Fxr and Shp in mice induces Cyp17a1 and results in juvenile onset cholestasis. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:86-95 pubmed publisher..steroid biosynthesis pathway, with strong induction of cytochrome P450, family 17, subfamily a, polypeptide 1 (Cyp17a1), resulting in elevated serum levels of its enzymatic product 17-hydroxyprogesterone (17-OHP)...
- O Brien E, Novak E, Keller S, Poirier C, Guenet J, Swank R. Molecular map of chromosome 19 including three genes affecting bleeding time: ep, ru, and bm. Mamm Genome. 1994;5:356-60 pubmed..Several markers were found to be closely linked to the three genes and should be useful as entry points in their eventual molecular identification. ..
- Burgos Trinidad M, Youngblood G, Maroto M, Scheller A, Robins D, Payne A. Repression of cAMP-induced expression of the mouse P450 17 alpha-hydroxylase/C17-20 lyase gene (Cyp17) by androgens. Mol Endocrinol. 1997;11:87-96 pubmed..cells, testosterone represses the cAMP-induced de novo synthesis of P450 17 alpha-hydroxylase/C17-20 lyase (P450c17) protein and the accumulation of P450c17 mRNA, via an androgen receptor (AR)-mediated mechanism...
- Daems C, Martin L, Brousseau C, Tremblay J. MEF2 is restricted to the male gonad and regulates expression of the orphan nuclear receptor NR4A1. Mol Endocrinol. 2014;28:886-98 pubmed publisher..MEF2 was also positioned upstream of NR4A1 in a regulatory cascade controlling Leydig cell gene expression. ..
- York J, Ren Y, Zeng J, Bin Zhang -, Wang F, Chen R, et al. Growth Arrest Specific 2 (GAS2) is a Critical Mediator of Germ Cell Cyst Breakdown and Folliculogenesis in Mice. Sci Rep. 2016;6:34956 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that GAS2 is a critical and novel regulator of tissue remodeling in the ovary during oocyte cyst breakdown and folliculogenesis. ..
- Youngblood G, Sartorius C, Taylor B, Payne A. Isolation, characterization, and chromosomal mapping of mouse P450 17 alpha-hydroxylase/C17-20 lyase. Genomics. 1991;10:270-5 pubmed..The structural gene encoding P450 17 alpha (Cyp17) was localized utilizing an interspecific testcross to mouse chromosome 19, distal to Got-1...
- Chaturvedi G, Arai K, Terranova P, Roby K. The Src tyrosine kinase pathway regulates thecal CYP17 expression and androstenedione secretion. Mol Cell Biochem. 2008;318:191-200 pubmed publisher..and forskolin-stimulated androstenedione secretion, and increased cytochrome P450 17-alpha hydroxylase-lyase (CYP17) promoter activity and steady state mRNA. PP2 did not change thecal levels of StAR mRNA...
- Val P, Jeays Ward K, Swain A. Identification of a novel population of adrenal-like cells in the mammalian testis. Dev Biol. 2006;299:250-6 pubmed..These cells also express Cyp17 and respond to hCG stimulation but do not express the Leydig specific marker Insl3 showing that they are a ..
- Zhao F, Franco H, Rodriguez K, Brown P, Tsai M, Tsai S, et al. Elimination of the male reproductive tract in the female embryo is promoted by COUP-TFII in mice. Science. 2017;357:717-720 pubmed publisher..We thus suggest that elimination of Wolffian ducts in female embryos is actively promoted by COUP-TFII, which suppresses a mesenchyme-epithelium cross-talk responsible for Wolffian duct maintenance. ..
- Youngblood G, Payne A. Isolation and characterization of the mouse P450 17 alpha-hydroxylase/C17-20-lyase gene (Cyp17): transcriptional regulation of the gene by cyclic adenosine 3',5'-monophosphate in MA-10 Leydig cells. Mol Endocrinol. 1992;6:927-34 pubmed..the cAMP regulation of P450(17 alpha) expression in Leydig cells, the structural gene encoding P450(17 alpha) (Cyp17) was isolated from a mouse genomic library using a full-length mouse P450(17 alpha) cDNA...
- Nicol B, Yao H. Gonadal Identity in the Absence of Pro-Testis Factor SOX9 and Pro-Ovary Factor Beta-Catenin in Mice. Biol Reprod. 2015;93:35 pubmed publisher..Our findings not only provide insight into the mechanism of sex determination, but also identify candidate genes that are potentially involved in disorders of sex development. ..
- Shi Y, Schonemann M, Mellon S. Regulation of P450c17 expression in the early embryo depends on GATA factors. Endocrinology. 2009;150:946-56 pubmed publisherThe enzyme P450c17 is required for glucocorticoid, sex steroid, and some neurosteroid biosynthesis...
- Mattiske D, Kume T, Hogan B. The mouse forkhead gene Foxc1 is required for primordial germ cell migration and antral follicle development. Dev Biol. 2006;290:447-58 pubmed..We conclude that alongside its previously known roles in kidney, cardiovascular and eye development, Foxc1 has essential functions during at least two stages of gonad development-germ cell migration and folliculogenesis. ..
- Ludbrook L, Bernard P, Bagheri Fam S, Ryan J, Sekido R, Wilhelm D, et al. Excess DAX1 leads to XY ovotesticular disorder of sex development (DSD) in mice by inhibiting steroidogenic factor-1 (SF1) activation of the testis enhancer of SRY-box-9 (Sox9). Endocrinology. 2012;153:1948-58 pubmed publisher..with complete loss of the Sertoli cell markers, SOX9 and anti-Müllerian hormone, and the Leydig cell marker CYP17A1. However, the expression of SRY and steroidogenic factor-1 (SF1), two key transcriptional regulators of Sox9, was ..
- Kagawa N, Ogo A, Takahashi Y, Iwamatsu A, Waterman M. A cAMP-regulatory sequence (CRS1) of CYP17 is a cellular target for the homeodomain protein Pbx1. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:18716-9 pubmedb>Cytochrome P450c17 encoded by CYP17, whose expression is regulated by peptide hormones via cAMP, is required for cortisol and sex hormone biosynthesis thereby playing a key role in biological processes including sexual differentiation...
- Stromstedt M, Keeney D, Waterman M, Paria B, Conley A, Dey S. Preimplantation mouse blastocysts fail to express CYP genes required for estrogen biosynthesis. Mol Reprod Dev. 1996;43:428-36 pubmed..P450 reductase (P450-reductase), adrenodoxin, lanosterol 14-demethylase P450 (CYP51), 17 alpha-hydroxylase P450 (CYP17), cholesterol side-chain cleavage P450 (CYP11A1), sterol 27-hydroxylase P450 (CYP27), and aromatase P450 (CYP19) ..
- Bagheri Fam S, Bird A, Zhao L, Ryan J, Yong M, Wilhelm D, et al. Testis Determination Requires a Specific FGFR2 Isoform to Repress FOXL2. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3832-3843 pubmed publisher..Together with previous findings, our data suggest that testis determination involves FGFR2c-mediated repression of both the WNT4- and FOXL2-driven ovarian-determining pathways. ..
- Park S, Meeks J, Raverot G, Pfaff L, Weiss J, Hammer G, et al. Nuclear receptors Sf1 and Dax1 function cooperatively to mediate somatic cell differentiation during testis development. Development. 2005;132:2415-23 pubmed..In studies of the developing testis, expression of the fetal Leydig cell markers Cyp17 and Cyp11a1 was reduced in heterozygous Sf1-deficient mice at E13.5, consistent with dose-dependent effects of Sf1...
- Hales D, Xiong Y, Tur Kaspa I. The role of cytokines in the regulation of Leydig cell P450c17 gene expression. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1992;43:907-14 pubmed publisher..LPS treatment resulted in a 47-fold increase in interleukin-1? (IL-1?) mRNA in TIMs. P450c17 mRNA levels in the Leydig cells from the same animals, decreased to less than 10% compared to control...