Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cybb
Description: cytochrome b-245, beta polypeptide
Alias: C88302, CGD91-phox, Cgd, Cyd, Nox2, gp91-1, gp91phox, cytochrome b-245 heavy chain, NADPH oxidase 2, cytochrome b558 subunit beta, heme-binding membrane glycoprotein gp91phox, neutrophil cytochrome b 91 kDa polypeptide, p22 phagocyte B-cytochrome
Publications150 found, 100 shown here
- NOX2 controls phagosomal pH to regulate antigen processing during crosspresentation by dendritic cellsAriel Savina
Institut Curie, INSERM U653, Immunité et Cancer, 26 Rue d Ulm, 75248 Paris, Cedex 05, France
Cell 126:205-18. 2006..The NADPH oxidase NOX2 is recruited to the DC's early phagosomes and mediates the sustained production of low levels of reactive oxygen ..
- Hypoxia-inducible factor 1 mediates increased expression of NADPH oxidase-2 in response to intermittent hypoxiaGuoxiang Yuan
Institute for Integrative Physiology and The Center for Systems Biology of O2 Sensing, Biological Science Division, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Cell Physiol 226:2925-33. 2011..by increased generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) by pro-oxidant enzymes, especially NADPH oxidase-2 (Nox2)...
- Susceptibility of IFN regulatory factor-1 and IFN consensus sequence binding protein-deficient mice to brucellosisJinkyung Ko
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Immunology, Department of Animal Health and Biomedical Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Immunol 168:2433-40. 2002....
- Expression and modulation of an NADPH oxidase in mammalian astrocytesAndrey Y Abramov
Department of Physiology, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 25:9176-84. 2005..Responses were absent in transgenic mice lacking gp91phox. Expression of gp91phox and p67phox was increased in reactive astrocytes, which showed increased rates of both ..
- Caspase-1 dependent IL-1β secretion is critical for host defense in a mouse model of Chlamydia pneumoniae lung infectionKenichi Shimada
Division of Pediatrics Infectious Disease and Immunology, Cedars Sinai Medical Center and David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e21477. 2011..Interestingly, Caspase-1 activation during CP infection occurs with mitochondrial dysfunction indicating a possible mechanism involving the mitochondria for CP-induced inflammasome activation...
- Role of NADPH oxidase in the mechanism of lung neutrophil sequestration and microvessel injury induced by Gram-negative sepsis: studies in p47phox-/- and gp91phox-/- miceXiao Pei Gao
Department of Pharmacology, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Immunol 168:3974-82. 2002....
- Superoxide dismutase 1 regulates caspase-1 and endotoxic shockFelix Meissner
Department of Cellular Microbiology, Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Nat Immunol 9:866-72. 2008..Our findings identify a physiological post-translational mechanism in the control of caspase-1-mediated inflammatory processes...
- Dectin-1 activates Syk tyrosine kinase in a dynamic subset of macrophages for reactive oxygen productionDavid M Underhill
Institute for Systems Biology, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
Blood 106:2543-50. 2005..The proportion of macrophages using this signaling pathway can be modulated by cytokine treatment. Thus, Dectin-1 signaling reveals dynamic macrophage heterogeneity in inflammatory activation potential...
- Antimicrobial actions of the NADPH phagocyte oxidase and inducible nitric oxide synthase in experimental salmonellosis. I. Effects on microbial killing by activated peritoneal macrophages in vitroA Vazquez-Torres
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
J Exp Med 192:227-36. 2000..of macrophages for Salmonella typhimurium was studied by using peritoneal phagocytes from C57BL/6, congenic gp91phox(-/)-, iNOS(-/)-, and doubly immunodeficient phox(-/)-iNOS(-/)- mice. The respiratory burst and NO radical (NO...
- Protein phosphatase 1 subunit Ppp1r15a/GADD34 regulates cytokine production in polyinosinic:polycytidylic acid-stimulated dendritic cellsGiovanna Clavarino
Centre d immunologie de Marseille Luminy, Aix Marseille University, 13288 Marseille, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:3006-11. 2012..GADD34, however, was shown to be required for normal cytokine production both in vitro and in vivo. These observations have important implications in linking further pathogen detection with the integrated stress response pathways...
- The p47phox- and NADPH oxidase organiser 1 (NOXO1)-dependent activation of NADPH oxidase 1 (NOX1) mediates endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) uncoupling and endothelial dysfunction in a streptozotocin-induced murine model of diabetesJ Y Youn
Division of Molecular Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Laboratories, Departments of Anesthesiology and Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, 650 Charles E Young Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Diabetologia 55:2069-79. 2012..The aim of the present study was to test the hypothesis that one or more NOX isoform(s) mediate(s) diabetic uncoupling of eNOS, which has been shown to occur in patients with diabetes to contribute to endothelial dysfunction...
- Angiotensin II-dependent chronic hypertension and cardiac hypertrophy are unaffected by gp91phox-containing NADPH oxidaseRhian M Touyz
CIHR Multidisciplinary Research Group on Hypertension, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hypertension 45:530-7. 2005The gp91phox-containing NADPH oxidase is the major source of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in the cardiovascular system and inactivation of gp91phox has been reported to blunt hypertension and cardiac hypertrophy seen in angiotensin (Ang) ..
- Monocarboxylate transporter-1 is required for cell death in mouse chondrocytic ATDC5 cells exposed to interleukin-1beta via late phase activation of nuclear factor kappaB and expression of phagocyte-type NADPH oxidaseKentaro Yoshimura
Department of Biochemistry, Showa University School of Dentistry, Tokyo 142 8555, Japan
J Biol Chem 286:14744-52. 2011..These results suggest that MCT-1 contributes to NOX-2 expression via late phase activation of NF-κB in a ROS-dependent manner in ATDC5 cells exposed to IL-1β...
- Cell surface colony-stimulating factor 1 can be cleaved by TNF-alpha converting enzyme or endocytosed in a clathrin-dependent mannerKeisuke Horiuchi
Department of Anti aging Orthopedic Research, Keio University, School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Immunol 179:6715-24. 2007..These results indicate that the local availability of mCSF-1 is actively regulated by ectodomain shedding and endocytosis. This mechanism may have important implications for the development and survival of monocyte lineage cells...
- Src phosphorylation of endothelial cell surface intercellular adhesion molecule-1 mediates neutrophil adhesion and contributes to the mechanism of lung inflammationGuoquan Liu
Department of Pharmacology, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 31:1342-50. 2011....
- Phenotype of mice and macrophages deficient in both phagocyte oxidase and inducible nitric oxide synthaseM U Shiloh
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York 10021, USA
Immunity 10:29-38. 1999..Their killing of S. typhimurium, E. coli, and attenuated Listeria was markedly diminished but demonstrable, establishing the existence of a mechanism of macrophage antibacterial activity independent of phox and NOS2...
- Virulent but not avirulent Mycobacterium tuberculosis can evade the growth inhibitory action of a T helper 1-dependent, nitric oxide Synthase 2-independent defense in miceYu Jin Jung
The Trudeau Institute, Saranac Lake, NY 12983, USA
J Exp Med 196:991-8. 2002..The results indicate that virulent, but not avirulent, Mtb can overcome the growth inhibitory action of a Th1-dependent, NOS2-independent mechanism of defense...
- Aldosterone mediates angiotensin II-induced interstitial cardiac fibrosis via a Nox2-containing NADPH oxidaseSofian Johar
King s College London, Cardiovascular Division, London, UK
FASEB J 20:1546-8. 2006..We investigated the potential role of a Nox2-containing NADPH oxidase in aldosterone-induced fibrosis and the involvement of this mechanism in AngII-induced ..
- Cutting edge: apoptosis-regulating signal kinase 1 is required for reactive oxygen species-mediated activation of IFN regulatory factor 3 by lipopolysaccharideEdward Chiang
Division of Biological Sciences and University of California San Diego Cancer Center, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
J Immunol 176:5720-4. 2006..ASK1 kinase activity proved essential for IRF3-mediated ISG induction by LPS. Thus, our results presented here suggest a novel role for ROS and ASK1 in the innate immune response as signaling intermediates in the IRF3 activation pathway...
- Angiotensin II type 1 receptors and the intestinal microvascular dysfunction induced by ischemia and reperfusionThomas Petnehazy
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, 71130, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G1203-10. 2006....
- Physical linkage of the A-raf-1, properdin, synapsin I, and TIMP genes on the human and mouse X chromosomesJ M Derry
MRC Molecular Neurobiology Unit, MRC Centre, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Genomics 12:632-8. 1992..Analysis of the corresponding region of the human X chromosome indicates a similar arrangement and in addition shows that the properdin gene lies within 5 kb of the 5' end of the synapsin I gene...
- Role of neutrophil NADPH oxidase in the mechanism of tumor necrosis factor-alpha -induced NF-kappa B activation and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 expression in endothelial cellsJie Fan
Department of Pharmacology, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Biol Chem 277:3404-11. 2002..Thus, oxidant signaling by the PMN NAD(P)H oxidase complex is an important determinant of TNFalpha-induced NF-kappaB activation and ICAM-1 expression in endothelial cells...
- NADPH oxidase-derived overproduction of reactive oxygen species impairs postischemic neovascularization in mice with type 1 diabetesTeni G Ebrahimian
Cardiovascular Research Center, U689 INSERM, Hopital Lariboisiere, 41 Blvd de la Chapelle, 75475 Paris Cedex 10, France
Am J Pathol 169:719-28. 2006..05). Thus, inhibition of NADPH oxidase-derived ROS overproduction improves the angiogenic and vasculogenic processes and restores postischemic neovascularization in type 1 diabetic mice...
- Branched fungal beta-glucan causes hyperinflammation and necrosis in phagocyte NADPH oxidase-deficient miceMg Schäppi
Paediatric Gastroenterology and Transplantation Division, Department of Paediatrics, Geneva University Hospitals, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
J Pathol 214:434-44. 2008Chronic granulomatous disease (CGD), a genetic disorder characterized by the absence of a functional phagocyte NADPH oxidase, is a severe immune deficiency. However, non-infectious hyperinflammation is a second hallmark of the disease...
- Mouse model of X-linked chronic granulomatous disease, an inherited defect in phagocyte superoxide productionJ D Pollock
Department of Pediatrics, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Nat Genet 9:202-9. 1995Chronic granulomatous disease (CGD) is a recessive disorder characterized by a defective phagocyte respiratory burst oxidase, life-threatening pyogenic infections and inflammatory granulomas...
- Cloning of murine gp91phox cDNA and functional expression in a human X-linked chronic granulomatous disease cell lineH Björgvinsdóttir
Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Department of Pediatrics, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, USA
Blood 87:2005-10. 1996The phagocyte cytochrome b558, a heterodimer comprised of gp91phox and p22phox, is a flavocytochrome that mediates the transfer of electrons from NADPH to molecular oxygen in the respiratory burst oxidase...
- Retroviral-mediated gene transfer of gp91phox into bone marrow cells rescues defect in host defense against Aspergillus fumigatus in murine X-linked chronic granulomatous diseaseH Björgvinsdóttir
Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Department of Pediatrics Hematology Oncology, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, USA
Blood 89:41-8. 1997..an inherited deficiency of the respiratory burst oxidase, results from mutations in the X-linked gene for gp91phox, the larger subunit of the oxidase cytochrome b...
- Ischemic stroke injury is reduced in mice lacking a functional NADPH oxidaseC E Walder
Department of Cardiovascular Research, Genentech Inc, South San Francisco, Calif, USA
Stroke 28:2252-8. 1997..Using mutant mice (X-CGD) with a dysfunctional phagocytic NADPH oxidase, we investigated the role of this superoxide-generating enzyme as a ..
- Macrophage microbicidal mechanisms in vivo: reactive nitrogen versus oxygen intermediates in the killing of intracellular visceral Leishmania donovaniH W Murray
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Cornell University Medical College, New York 10021, USA
J Exp Med 189:741-6. 1999..liver infection at wk 2, both respiratory burst-deficient gp91(phox)-/- (X-linked chronic granulomatous disease [X-CGD]) mice and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) knockout (KO) mice displayed comparably increased susceptibility...
- Antimicrobial actions of the NADPH phagocyte oxidase and inducible nitric oxide synthase in experimental salmonellosis. II. Effects on microbial proliferation and host survival in vivoP Mastroeni
Centre for Veterinary Science, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB3 0ES, United Kingdom
J Exp Med 192:237-48. 2000..inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) in host resistance to virulent Salmonella typhimurium were investigated in gp91phox(-/)-, iNOS(-/)-, and congenic wild-type mice...
- Variable correction of host defense following gene transfer and bone marrow transplantation in murine X-linked chronic granulomatous diseaseM C Dinauer
Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Department of Pediatrics Hematology Oncology, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Blood 97:3738-45. 2001Chronic granulomatous disease (CGD) is an inherited immunodeficiency in which the absence of the phagocyte superoxide-generating nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADPH) oxidase results in recurrent bacterial and fungal ..
- p47phox is required for atherosclerotic lesion progression in ApoE(-/-) miceP A Barry-Lane
Sealy Center for Molecular Cardiology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, USA
J Clin Invest 108:1513-22. 2001..SMCs from wild-type, p47phox(-/-), and gp91phox(-/-) mice differed markedly with respect to growth factor responsiveness and ROS generation...
- Severe inflammation and reduced bacteria load in murine helicobacter infection caused by lack of phagocyte oxidase activityThomas G Blanchard
Department of Pediatrics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Infect Dis 187:1609-15. 2003..Therefore, reactive oxygen species may play a role in limiting the inflammatory response associated with H. pylori infection of the gastric mucosa but may also limit the host's ability to eradicate Helicobacter organisms...
- Deficiency of NADPH oxidase components p47phox and gp91phox caused granulomatous synovitis and increased connective tissue destruction in experimental arthritis modelsFons A J van de Loo
Department of Rheumatology, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Am J Pathol 163:1525-37. 2003..This showed that the involvement of NADPH oxidase in arthritis is probably far more complex and that oxygen radicals might also be important in controlling disease severity, and reducing joint inflammation and connective tissue damage...
- Contrasting roles of NADPH oxidase isoforms in pressure-overload versus angiotensin II-induced cardiac hypertrophyJonathan A Byrne
Department of Cardiology, King s College London, London, UK
Circ Res 93:802-5. 2003..NADPH oxidases are major cardiovascular sources of ROS, and recent data indicate a pivotal role of a gp91phox-containing NADPH oxidase in angiotensin II (Ang II)-induced LVH...
- gp91phox-containing NADPH oxidase mediates endothelial dysfunction in renovascular hypertensionO Jung
Institut für Kardiovaskuläre Physiologie, Klinikum der J W Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Circulation 109:1795-801. 2004..We hypothesized that the endothelial gp91phox-containing NADPH oxidase is predominant in generating the O2- to scavenge endothelial NO and thus is responsible ..
- Cryptic O2- -generating NADPH oxidase in dendritic cellsSylvie Elsen
Laboratoire de Biochimie et Biophysique des Systèmes Intégrés UMR 5092 CNRS CEA UJF, Departement Reponse et Dynamique Cellulaires, CEA Grenoble, Grenoble Cedex, France
J Cell Sci 117:2215-26. 2004....
- NOX-2S is a new member of the NOX family of NADPH oxidasesYasin Heidari
Department of Cardiology, GKT School of Medicine, King s College London, Denmark Hill Campus, Bessemer Road, London SE5 9PJ, UK
Gene 335:133-40. 2004..The sequence identity between mouse and human NOX-2S strongly implies conservation in function and possibly a role for NOX-2S in the regulation of NADPH oxidase activity...
- Membrane depolarization and NADPH oxidase activation in aortic endothelium during ischemia reflect altered mechanotransductionIkuo Matsuzaki
Institute for Environmental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1 John Morgan Bldg, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6068, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 288:H336-43. 2005....
- Attenuated Salmonella typhimurium htrA mutants cause fatal infections in mice deficient in NADPH oxidase and destroy NADPH oxidase-deficient macrophage monolayersMbithe Mutunga
School of Cell and Molecular Biosciences, The Medical School, University of Newcastle, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Vaccine 22:4124-31. 2004..In contrast, they were found to be lethal for gene targeted gp91phox-/- mice deficient in NADPH oxidase, as was a S. typhimurium SPI-2 mutant known to be virulent in gp9lphox-/- mice...
- Angiotensin II impairs neurovascular coupling in neocortex through NADPH oxidase-derived radicalsKen Kazama
Division of Neurobiology, Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
Circ Res 95:1019-26. 2004..antagonist losartan and by ROS scavenger superoxide dismutase or tiron and was not observed in mice lacking the gp91phox subunit of NADPH oxidase or in wild-type mice treated with the NADPH oxidase peptide inhibitor gp91ds-tat...
- Slc11a1-mediated resistance to Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium and Leishmania donovani infections does not require functional inducible nitric oxide synthase or phagocyte oxidase activityJacqueline K White
Wellcome Trust MRC Building, University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine, Addenbrookes Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2XY, UK
J Leukoc Biol 77:311-20. 2005..By intercrossing mice with gene disruptions at Nos2A and Cybb (encoding gp91phox, the heavy chain subunit of cytochrome b-245 and an essential component of phagocyte NADPH oxidase) onto ..
- NADPH-oxidase-derived reactive oxygen species mediate the cerebrovascular dysfunction induced by the amyloid beta peptideLaibaik Park
Division of Neurobiology, Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Neurosci 25:1769-77. 2005..oxidase peptide inhibitor gp91ds-tat and are not observed in mice lacking the catalytic subunit of NADPH oxidase (gp91phox)...
- Role of gp91phox (Nox2)-containing NAD(P)H oxidase in angiogenesis in response to hindlimb ischemiaTaiki Tojo
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Circulation 111:2347-55. 2005..We reported that reactive oxygen species (ROS) derived from gp91phox (Nox2)-containing NAD(P)H oxidase are involved in angiogenesis in mouse sponge models as well as in vascular ..
- Synaptic plasticity deficits and mild memory impairments in mouse models of chronic granulomatous diseaseKenneth T Kishida
Department of Neuroscience, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza BCM 335, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mol Cell Biol 26:5908-20. 2006..oxidase proteins gp91(phox) and p47(phox), both of which are mouse models of human chronic granulomatous disease (CGD), also lack LTP...
- NADPH oxidase but not myeloperoxidase protects lymphopenic mice from spontaneous infectionsDmitry V Ostanin
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, 1501 Kings Highway, P O Box 33932, Shreveport, LA 71130 3932, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 355:801-6. 2007....
- NADPH oxidase inhibition improves neurological outcomes in surgically-induced brain injuryWendy Lo
Department of Physiology, Loma Linda University and Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, CA 92350, USA
Neurosci Lett 414:228-32. 2007..oxidase, an important reactive oxygen species producing enzyme, is involved in SBI using transgenic mice lacking gp91phox subunit of NADPH oxidase (gp91phox KO) and apocynin, a specific inhibitor of NADPH oxidase...
- Nox2 regulates endothelial cell cycle arrest and apoptosis via p21cip1 and p53Jian Mei Li
Cardiovascular Research Group, School of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH, UK
Free Radic Biol Med 43:976-86. 2007Endothelial cells (EC) express constitutively two major isoforms (Nox2 and Nox4) of the catalytic subunit of NADPH oxidase, which is a major source of endothelial reactive oxygen species...
- Ketamine-induced loss of phenotype of fast-spiking interneurons is mediated by NADPH-oxidaseM Margarita Behrens
Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0746, USA
Science 318:1645-7. 2007..These results suggest that NADPH oxidase may represent a novel target for the treatment of ketamine-induced psychosis...
- Involvement of Nox2 NADPH oxidase in adverse cardiac remodeling after myocardial infarctionYee H Looi
Department of Cardiology, King s College London School of Medicine, James Black Centre, 125 Coldharbour Ln, London SE5 9NU, United Kingdom
Hypertension 51:319-25. 2008..We investigated the role of Nox2-containing reduced nicotinamide-adenine dinucleotide phosphate oxidase in the development of cardiac remodeling ..
- Nox2-derived radicals contribute to neurovascular and behavioral dysfunction in mice overexpressing the amyloid precursor proteinLaibaik Park
Division of Neurobiology, Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:1347-52. 2008..We found that 12- to 15-month-old Tg2576 mice lacking the catalytic subunit Nox2 of NADPH oxidase do not develop oxidative stress, cerebrovascular dysfunction, or behavioral deficits...
- Role of NADPH oxidase in retinal vascular inflammationMohamed Al-Shabrawey
Oral Biology and Anatomy, School of Dentistry, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:3239-44. 2008..ROS, VEGF expression, and vascular permeability are accompanied by increases in the NADPH oxidase catalytic subunit NOX2 within the retinal vessels...
- Cardiac oxidative stress and remodeling following infarction: role of NADPH oxidaseWenyuan Zhao
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Tennessee, Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Cardiovasc Pathol 18:156-66. 2009..Herein, we studied the importance of NADPH oxidase in development of cardiac oxidative stress and its induced molecular and cellular changes related to myocardial repair/remodeling...
- Genetic ablation of NADPH oxidase enhances susceptibility to cigarette smoke-induced lung inflammation and emphysema in miceHongwei Yao
Department of Environmental Medicine, Lung Biology and Disease Program, University of Rochester Medical Center, Box 850, 601 Elmwood Ave, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Am J Pathol 172:1222-37. 2008..Thus, these data suggest that genetic ablation of components of NADPH oxidase enhances susceptibility to the proinflammatory effects of CS leading to airspace enlargement and alveolar damage...
- Nox4 and nox2 NADPH oxidases mediate distinct cellular redox signaling responses to agonist stimulationNarayana Anilkumar
Department of Cardiology, The James Black Centre, King s College London, 125 Coldharbour Lane, London SE59NU, UK
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:1347-54. 2008The NADPH oxidase isoforms Nox2 and Nox4 are coexpressed in many cell types and are implicated in agonist-stimulated redox-sensitive signal transduction...
- Role of nox2-based NADPH oxidase in bone marrow and progenitor cell function involved in neovascularization induced by hindlimb ischemiaNorifumi Urao
Department of Pharmacology, Center for Lung and Vascular Biology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Circ Res 103:212-20. 2008..Reactive oxygen species (ROS) derived from Nox2-based NADPH oxidase play an important role in postnatal neovascularization; however, their role in BM and EPC ..
- Inhibition of dendritic cell differentiation and accumulation of myeloid-derived suppressor cells in cancer is regulated by S100A9 proteinPingyan Cheng
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
J Exp Med 205:2235-49. 2008..This study demonstrates that tumor-induced up-regulation of S100A9 protein is critically important for accumulation of MDSCs and reveals a novel molecular mechanism of immunological abnormalities in cancer...
- Impaired apoptotic cell clearance in CGD due to altered macrophage programming is reversed by phosphatidylserine-dependent production of IL-4Ruby F Fernandez-Boyanapalli
Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Blood 113:2047-55. 2009Chronic granulomatous disease (CGD) is characterized by overexuberant inflammation and autoimmunity that are attributed to deficient anti-inflammatory signaling...
- Neurotoxic activation of microglia is promoted by a nox1-dependent NADPH oxidaseCyril Cheret
INSERM, Unité Mixte de Recherche UMR 711, Institut Fédératif de Recherche 70, 75013 Paris, France
J Neurosci 28:12039-51. 2008..CNS macrophages, are prominent sources of ROS through expression of the phagocyte oxidase which catalytic subunit Nox2 generates superoxide ion (O2(.-))...
- NADPH oxidase activity is higher in cerebral versus systemic arteries of four animal species: role of Nox2Alyson A Miller
Dept of Pharmacology, Monash Univ, Clayton, Melbourne, Victoria 3800, Australia
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 296:H220-5. 2009..e., mouse, rabbit, and pig. Second, using Nox2-deficient mice, we evaluated the involvement of Nox2-containing NADPH oxidases in any such regional differences...
- Gender influences cerebral vascular responses to angiotensin II through Nox2-derived reactive oxygen speciesT Michael De Silva
Department of Pharmacology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Stroke 40:1091-7. 2009We tested whether gender influences cerebrovascular responses to angiotensin II (AngII) and the role(s) of Nox2.
- NMDA receptor activation increases free radical production through nitric oxide and NOX2Helene Girouard
Division of Neurobiology, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Neurosci 29:2545-52. 2009..In mice lacking the NADPH oxidase subunit NOX2, the ROS increase was not observed, but the CBF increase was still present...
- Mechanism regulating reactive oxygen species in tumor-induced myeloid-derived suppressor cellsCesar A Corzo
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, 33612, USA
J Immunol 182:5693-701. 2009..The increased ROS production by MDSC is mediated by up-regulated activity of NADPH oxidase (NOX2)...
- Inhibition of NADPH oxidase is neuroprotective after ischemia-reperfusionHai Chen
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 29:1262-72. 2009..This study suggests that NOX plays a role in oxidative stress and inflammation, thus contributing to ischemic brain injury...
- Differential expression of NADPH oxidases in megakaryocytes and their role in polyploidyDonald J McCrann
Department of Biochemistry, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University School of Medicine, MA 02118, USA
Blood 114:1243-9. 2009..marrow (BM) cultures indicated high expression of Nox1, a weak expression of Nox4, and no significant expression of Nox2. Immunofluorescence of freshly isolated MKs confirmed strong expression of Nox1 in one-third of MKs, whereas Nox1 ..
- Arginase activity mediates retinal inflammation in endotoxin-induced uveitisWenbo Zhang
Vascular Biology Center, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, 30912 2500, USA
Am J Pathol 175:891-902. 2009..In conclusion, these studies suggest that LPS-induced retinal inflammation in endotoxin-induced uveitis is mediated by NADPH oxidase-dependent increases in arginase activity...
- NADPH oxidase-1 plays a crucial role in hyperoxia-induced acute lung injury in miceStephanie Carnesecchi
Department of Pediatrics and Department of Pathology and Immunology, Centre Medical Universitaire, 1, rue Michel Servet, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:972-81. 2009..ROS are produced by mitochondrial chain transport, but also by NADPH oxidase (NOX) family members. Although NOX1 and NOX2 are expressed in the lungs, their precise function has not been determined until now.
- Direct evidence of a role for Nox2 in superoxide production, reduced nitric oxide bioavailability, and early atherosclerotic plaque formation in ApoE-/- miceCourtney P Judkins
Department of Pharmacology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 298:H24-32. 2010..However, no studies have examined which Nox isoform(s) are involved. Here we investigated the role of the Nox2-containing NADPH oxidase in atherogenesis in apolipoprotein E-null (ApoE(-/-)) mice...
- Role of NADPH oxidase-2 in lipopolysaccharide-induced matrix metalloproteinase expression and cell migrationSo Yeon Kim
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Aging Associated Vascular Disease Research Center, Yeungnam University, Daegu, Korea
Immunol Cell Biol 88:197-204. 2010This study examined the hypothesis that the control of NADPH oxidase-2 (Nox2)-mediated reactive oxygen species (ROS) regulates the expression of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) and the migration of macrophages...
- Mechanisms contributing to cerebral infarct size after stroke: gender, reperfusion, T lymphocytes, and Nox2-derived superoxideVanessa H Brait
Department of Pharmacology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3800, Australia
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 30:1306-17. 2010..male mice is associated with increased expression of proinflammatory proteins, including cyclooxygenase-2 (Cox-2), Nox2, and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1), and infiltration of Nox2-containing T lymphocytes into the ..
- Augmented superoxide production by Nox2-containing NADPH oxidase causes cerebral artery dysfunction during hypercholesterolemiaAlyson A Miller
Department of Pharmacology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Stroke 41:784-9. 2010We tested the hypothesis that elevated superoxide production by Nox2-NADPH oxidase occurs in cerebral arteries during hypercholesterolemia and causes decreased nitric oxide function.
- NADPH oxidase limits innate immune responses in the lungs in miceBrahm H Segal
Department of Medicine, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9631. 2010Chronic granulomatous disease (CGD), an inherited disorder of the NADPH oxidase in which phagocytes are defective in generating superoxide anion and downstream reactive oxidant intermediates (ROIs), is characterized by recurrent ..
- TLR activation of the transcription factor XBP1 regulates innate immune responses in macrophagesFabio Martinon
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Immunol 11:411-8. 2010..Our findings identify an unsuspected critical function for XBP1 in mammalian host defenses...
- NOX2 deficiency protects against streptozotocin-induced beta-cell destruction and development of diabetes in miceFu Li Xiang
Department of Medicine, University of Western Ontario, Lawson Health Research Institute, London, Ontario, Canada
Diabetes 59:2603-11. 2010The role of NOX2-containing NADPH oxidase in the development of diabetes is not fully understood...
- Impaired phagocytosis of apoptotic cells by macrophages in chronic granulomatous disease is reversed by IFN-γ in a nitric oxide-dependent mannerRuby Fernandez-Boyanapalli
National Jewish Health, Denver, CO 80206, USA
J Immunol 185:4030-41. 2010Immunodeficiency in chronic granulomatous disease (CGD) is well characterized. Less understood are exaggerated sterile inflammation and autoimmunity associated with CGD...
- NADPH oxidase 2-derived reactive oxygen species mediate FFAs-induced dysfunction and apoptosis of β-cells via JNK, p38 MAPK and p53 pathwaysHuiping Yuan
Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering, Peking University, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 5:e15726. 2010..In the present study, we test the hypothesis that NOX2-derived ROS may play a critical role in dysfunction and apoptosis of β-cells induced by FFA...
- NADPH oxidase is involved in post-ischemic brain inflammationHai Chen
Department of Neurosurgery, Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences, and Program in Neurosciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Neurobiol Dis 42:341-8. 2011..Post-ischemic inflammation also causes progressive brain injury. In this study we investigated the role of NOX2 in post-ischemic cerebral inflammation using a transient middle cerebral artery occlusion model in mice...
- Gp91(phox) contributes to the development of experimental inflammatory bowel diseaseShisan Bao
Discipline of Pathology, Bosch Institute and School of Medical Sciences, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Immunol Cell Biol 89:853-60. 2011..in innate immunity via the oxidative burst, using the p47phox- and gp91(phox)-containing NAD(P)H oxidase known as Nox2. In dextran sulphate sodium (DSS)-induced colitis, no significant difference in inflammation between p47(phox-/-) ..
- Reactive oxygen species produced by the NADPH oxidase 2 complex in monocytes protect mice from bacterial infectionsAngela Pizzolla
Medical Inflammation Research, Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm 17177, Sweden
J Immunol 188:5003-11. 2012..from defective production of reactive oxygen species by phagocytes caused by mutations in genes encoding the NADPH oxidase 2 (NOX2) complex subunits...
- Hyperinflammation of chronic granulomatous disease is abolished by NOX2 reconstitution in macrophages and dendritic cellsChristine Deffert
Department of Pathology and Immunology, University of Geneva, Switzerland
J Pathol 228:341-50. 2012..disease (CGD), caused by a lack of reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation by the phagocyte NADPH oxidase NOX2, leads to massively increased inflammatory responses...
- The toxicity of antiprion antibodies is mediated by the flexible tail of the prion proteinTiziana Sonati
Institute of Neuropathology, University Hospital Zurich, Schmelzbergstrasse 12, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Nature 501:102-6. 2013..Furthermore, genetic ablation of the superoxide-producing enzyme NOX2 (also known as CYBB) protected mice from globular domain ligand toxicity...
- Mice lacking reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate oxidase activity show increased susceptibility to early infection with Listeria monocytogenesM C Dinauer
Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis 46202, USA
J Immunol 158:5581-3. 1997..Infected gp91phox -/- mice had an increase of approximately 30-fold in Listeria in the liver and an increase in the number of ..
- T cells express a phagocyte-type NADPH oxidase that is activated after T cell receptor stimulationSharon H Jackson
Laboratory of Host Defenses, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Immunol 5:818-27. 2004..Thus, mature T cells express a phagocyte-type NADPH oxidase that regulates elements of TCR signaling...
- Cerebral microvascular responses to hypercholesterolemia: roles of NADPH oxidase and P-selectinMami Ishikawa
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, LA 71130 3932, USA
Circ Res 94:239-44. 2004....
- Pivotal role of gp91phox-containing NADH oxidase in lipopolysaccharide-induced tumor necrosis factor-alpha expression and myocardial depressionTianqing Peng
Cardiology Research Laboratory, Centre for Critical Illness Research, Lawson Health Research Institute, Department of Medicine, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Circulation 111:1637-44. 2005..The aim of this study was to investigate the role of gp91phox-containing NADH oxidase signaling in cardiomyocyte TNF-alpha expression and myocardial dysfunction induced by LPS.
- Th17 development and autoimmune arthritis in the absence of reactive oxygen speciesAnnie George-Chandy
Department of Rheumatology and Inflammation Research, Division of Medicine, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Immunol 38:1118-26. 2008..These data suggest that ROS act as immunomodulators in DC-driven T cell activation and perhaps also in T cell-dependent immunopathology...
- Interleukin-6 mediates the increase in NADPH-oxidase in the ketamine model of schizophreniaM Margarita Behrens
Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0746, USA
J Neurosci 28:13957-66. 2008....
- Mac-1 signaling via Src-family and Syk kinases results in elastase-dependent thrombohemorrhagic vasculopathyJunichi Hirahashi
Department of Pathology, Center for Excellence in Vascular Biology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Immunity 25:271-83. 2006..These data suggest that Mac-1 engagement of complement activates tyrosine kinases to promote elastase-dependent blood vessel injury in vivo...
- Essential functions of synapsins I and II in synaptic vesicle regulationT W Rosahl
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas 75235, USA
Nature 375:488-93. 1995....
- Pressure overload-induced myocardial hypertrophy in mice does not require gp91phoxMelanie Maytin
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Section, Boston University Medical Center, and Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass 02118, USA
Circulation 109:1168-71. 2004..because its expression and activity are upregulated by pressure overload and because myocardial hypertrophy caused by a subpressor infusion of angiotensin is attenuated in mice deficient in the gp91phox catalytic subunit of NADPH oxidase.
- Frontline: control of Anaplasma phagocytophilum, an obligate intracellular pathogen, in the absence of inducible nitric oxide synthase, phagocyte NADPH oxidase, tumor necrosis factor, Toll-like receptor (TLR)2 and TLR4, or the TLR adaptor molecule MyD88Friederike D von Loewenich
Institute of Clinical Microbiology, Immunology, and Hygiene, University of Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Immunol 34:1789-97. 2004..phagocytophilum. From these data we conclude that effector mechanisms that are crucial to the defense against numerous other intracellular pathogens are dispensable for the control of A. phagocytophilum...
- Peroxide generation by p47phox-Src activation of Nox2 has a key role in protein kinase C-induced arterial smooth muscle contractionSachin A Gupte
Department of Physiology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 296:H1048-57. 2009..PDBu appeared to increase superoxide generation by Nox2 through both p47(phox) and peroxide-dependent Src activation mechanisms based on the actions of inhibitors, ..
- Macrophage NADPH oxidase flavocytochrome B localizes to the plasma membrane and Rab11-positive recycling endosomesAmy Jo Casbon
Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Department of Pediatrics Hematology Oncology, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Immunol 182:2325-39. 2009..Flavocytochrome b is a membrane heterodimer consisting of a large subunit gp91(phox) (NOX2) and a smaller subunit, p22(phox)...
- Innate and adaptive immunity cooperate flexibly to maintain host-microbiota mutualismEmma Slack
Farncombe Family Digestive Health Research Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON L8S 4L8, Canada
Science 325:617-20. 2009..Spontaneous hyper-activation of adaptive immunity against the intestinal microbiota, secondary to innate immune deficiency, may clarify the underlying mechanisms of inflammatory diseases where immune dysfunction is implicated...
- Malarial hemozoin is a Nalp3 inflammasome activating danger signalCatherine Dostert
Department of Biochemistry, University of Lausanne, Epalinges, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 4:e6510. 2009..Thus, we hypothesized that hemozoin could activate the Nalp3 inflammasome, due to its particulate nature reminiscent of other inflammasome-activating agents...
- Innate immune cells induce hemorrhage in tumors during thrombocytopeniaBenoit Ho-Tin-Noe
Immune Disease Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Pathol 175:1699-708. 2009..Our results show that platelets counteract tumor-associated inflammation and that the absence of this platelet function elicits vascular injuries by tumor-infiltrating innate immune cells...
- The NADPH oxidase NOX2 controls glutamate release: a novel mechanism involved in psychosis-like ketamine responsesSilvia Sorce
Department of Pathology and Immunology, University of Geneva, Geneva University Hospitals, CH 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
J Neurosci 30:11317-25. 2010..to loss of parvalbumin-positive interneurons through reactive oxygen species (ROS), generated by the NADPH oxidase NOX2. However, ketamine induces very rapid alterations, in both mice and humans...
- NADPH oxidase links endoplasmic reticulum stress, oxidative stress, and PKR activation to induce apoptosisGang Li
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Cell Biol 191:1113-25. 2010..stress are induced by this pathway and that apoptosis is blocked by both genetic deletion of the NOX subunit NOX2 and by the antioxidant N-acetylcysteine...
- Genetic ablation of phagocytic NADPH oxidase in mice limits TNFα-induced inflammation in the lungs but not other tissuesWei Jian Zhang
Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 50:1517-25. 2011..the role of NOX-ROS in TNFα-induced acute inflammatory responses in vivo, using mice deficient in the gp91(phox) (NOX2) or p47(phox) subunits of NADPH oxidase...
- Nitric oxide-mediated intracellular growth restriction of pathogenic Rhodococcus equi can be prevented by ironKristine von Bargen
Cell Biology Institute, University of Bonn, Ulrich Haberland Str 61 A, 53121 Bonn, Germany
Infect Immun 79:2098-111. 2011..Our results suggest that nitric oxide is central to the restriction of bacterial access to iron in activated macrophages...
- Intermittent hypoxia-induced cognitive deficits are mediated by NADPH oxidase activity in a murine model of sleep apneaDeepti Nair
Department of Pediatrics, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e19847. 2011..Excessive NADPH oxidase activity may play a role in IH-induced CNS dysfunction...
- Lipoic Acid, Endothelial Activation and AtherosclerosisWeijian Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- HOST IMMUNOREGULATION OF ANTILEISHMANIAL CHEMOTHERAPYHenry Murray; Fiscal Year: 2005..And Aim 3: Characterize immunostimulation in AmB's efficacy, and in recrudescent infection following AmB therapy, pinpoint the likely cytokine-driven T cell mechanism which prevents post-treatment relapse. ..
- Host Immunoregulation of Response to Antileishmanial ChemotherapyHenry Murray; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISMS OF NEUROPROTECTION BY C60 DERIVATIVESLAURA DUGAN; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- GORDON CONFERENCE: BIOLOGY OF THE SPIROCHETESJANIS WEIS; Fiscal Year: 2004..Funding from the National Institutes of Health is requested to partially offset the travel and registration expenses of the participating graduate students fellows, and junior faculty members. ..
- 1-Cys-peroxiredoxin, A Novel Lung Anti-oxidant EnzymeAron Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will give insights into the function and antioxidant activity of this potentially important, newly described enzyme. ..
- LETHAL OROESOPHAGEAL CANDIDIASIS: IMMUNOTHERAPYEdward Balish; Fiscal Year: 2004..Restoration and enhancement of immune function may be critical for the effectiveness of anti-Candida vaccines that are now under development. ..
- 2005 Phagocytes Gordon ConferenceMary Dinauer; Fiscal Year: 2005..The program will provide opportunities for participation of scientists at all levels and we will particularly promote the participation of junior investigators, postdoctoral trainees and "new investigators to the field". ..
- Role of NF-kappaB phosphorylation in inflammatory signalingJosef Anrather; Fiscal Year: 2008..In summary, these studies will establish the role of p65 phosphorylation in achieving signal specificity and provide new insights into the mechanism of NF-KappaB dependent pro-inflammatory gene regulation. ..
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION ANALYSIS OF PHAGOCYTE PROTEINSMary Dinauer; Fiscal Year: 2009..This low-potential flavocytochrome is comprised of gp91phox, a 91-kDa glycoprotein encoded by an X-linked gene that is the site of mutations in X-linked CGD, and p22phox, a ..
- GORDON CONFERENCE--BIOLOGY OF THE SPIROCHETESJANIS WEIS; Fiscal Year: 2002..Funding from the National Institutes of Health is requested to partially offset the travel and registration expenses of the participating graduate students, fellows, and junior faculty members. ..
- PROTEIN KINASES AND ENDOTHELIAL CELL ACTIVATIONJosef Anrather; Fiscal Year: 2001..By addressing these specific aims, the principal investigator hopes to provide new insights concerning the regulation of the transcriptional activity of NF-kB in EC and its contribution to inflammation. ..
- CYTOKINE DYSFUNCTION AND LUNG 5LO METABOLISM IN AIDSMichael Coffey; Fiscal Year: 2002..This proposal will further enhance our ability to correct this defect and help boost AM, PBM, and PMN defenses against opportunistic infections in the lung in HIV disease. ..
- UCP5-- Balancing Metabolism and Oxidation in Aging BrainLAURA DUGAN; Fiscal Year: 2004....