Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ctf1
Description: cardiotrophin 1
Alias: CT-1, cardiotrophin-1
- Cardiotrophin-1 (CT-1): a novel hypertrophic and cardioprotective agentD S Latchman
Department of Molecular Pathology, Windeyer Institute of Medical Sciences, University College London, London, UK
Int J Exp Pathol 80:189-96. 1999..CT-1 may therefore be of use as a novel cardio-protective agent, particularly if its hypertrophic effect can be specifically inhibited...
- Evidence that embryonic neurons regulate the onset of cortical gliogenesis via cardiotrophin-1Fanie Barnabe-Heider
Developmental Biology, University of Toronto, Toronto M5G 1X8, Canada
Neuron 48:253-65. 2005....
- Cardiotrophin-1, a muscle-derived cytokine, is required for the survival of subpopulations of developing motoneuronsR W Oppenheim
Department of Neurobiology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
J Neurosci 21:1283-91. 2001..CT-1 is the first bona fide muscle-derived neurotrophic factor to be identified that is required for the survival of subgroups of developing motoneurons...
- Expression cloning of cardiotrophin 1, a cytokine that induces cardiac myocyte hypertrophyD Pennica
Department of Molecular Biology, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, CA 94080
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:1142-6. 1995..5-kDa protein, cardiotrophin 1, that potently induces cardiac myocyte hypertrophy in vitro...
- Loss of leukemia inhibitory factor receptor beta or cardiotrophin-1 causes similar deficits in preganglionic sympathetic neurons and adrenal medullaStephan Oberle
Neuroanatomy and Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences, University of Heidelberg, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Neurosci 26:1823-32. 2006..Thus, both somatic motoneurons and PSNs in the spinal cord depend on LIFRbeta signaling for their development and maintenance, although PSNs seem to be overall less affected than somatic motoneurons by LIFRbeta deprivation...
- Regulation of cardiotrophin-1 expression in mouse embryonic stem cells by HIF-1alpha and intracellular reactive oxygen speciesBernadette Ateghang
Department of Physiology, University of Giessen, 35392 Giessen, Germany
J Cell Sci 119:1043-52. 2006..Our results demonstrate that CT-1 expression in ES cells is regulated by ROS and HIF-1alpha and imply a crucial role of CT-1 in the survival and proliferation of ES-cell-derived cardiac cells...
- The lack of cardiotrophin-1 alters expression of interleukin-6 and leukemia inhibitory factor mRNA but does not impair cardiac injury responseKurt Gritman
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Cytokine 36:9-16. 2006....
- Cardiotrophin-1 defends the liver against ischemia-reperfusion injury and mediates the protective effect of ischemic preconditioningMaría Iñiguez
Division of Hepatology and Gene Therapy, Center for Applied Medical Research CIMA, Clinica Universitaria and Medical School, University of Navarra, Pamplona 31008, Spain
J Exp Med 203:2809-15. 2006..In conclusion, CT-1 is an essential endogenous defense of the liver against I/R and is a key mediator of the protective effect induced by IP...
- Cardiotrophin-1 is an essential factor in the natural defense of the liver against apoptosisJuan M Marqués
Center for Applied Medical Research CIMA, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
Hepatology 45:639-48. 2007..All of them were down-regulated in CT-1-/- mice and were modulated by CT-1 administration. Treatment of CT-1-/- animals with the calpain inhibitor MDL28170 afforded significant protection against Fas-induced liver injury...
- Cardiotrophin-1 is expressed in adipose tissue and upregulated in the metabolic syndromeCristina Natal
Division of Cardiovascular Sciences, Center for Applied Medical Research, University of Navarra, Avda Pio XII 55, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 294:E52-60. 2008..2, P < 0.05). Taken together, our data suggest that adipose tissue can be recognized as a source of CT-1, which could account for the high circulating levels of CT-1 in patients with MS...
- Aldosterone induces cardiotrophin-1 expression in HL-1 adult cardiomyocytesNatalia Lopez-Andres
Centre for Applied Medical Research, Department of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery, University Clinic, Universidad de Navarra, Avenida Pio XII, 55, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
Endocrinology 149:4970-8. 2008..In summary, ALDO induces CT-1 expression in adult HL-1 cardiomyocytes via genomic and nongenomic mechanisms. CT-1 up-regulation could have relevance in the direct hypertrophic effects of ALDO in cardiomyocytes...
- Cardiotrophin-1 is an osteoclast-derived stimulus of bone formation required for normal bone remodelingEmma C Walker
St Vincent s Institute, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
J Bone Miner Res 23:2025-32. 2008..CT-1 may now be classed as an essential osteoclast-derived stimulus of both bone formation and resorption...
- Cardiotrophin-1 maintains the undifferentiated state in skeletal myoblastsTetsuaki Miyake
Department of Biology, York University, Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3, Canada
J Biol Chem 284:19679-93. 2009..The expression pattern of CT-1 in embryonic and post-natal skeletal muscle and in vivo effects of CT-1 on myogenesis implicate CT-1 in the maintenance of the undifferentiated state in muscle progenitor cells...
- ADAM10 mediates E-cadherin shedding and regulates epithelial cell-cell adhesion, migration, and beta-catenin translocationThorsten Maretzky
Biochemical Institute and Department of Dermatology, Christian Albrechts University Kiel, D 24098 Kiel, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:9182-7. 2005..Our data strongly suggest that this protease constitutes a major regulatory element for the multiple functions of E-cadherin under physiological as well as pathological conditions...
- Triple knock-out of CNTF, LIF, and CT-1 defines cooperative and distinct roles of these neurotrophic factors for motoneuron maintenance and functionBettina Holtmann
The Institute for Clinical Neurobiology, Department of Neurology, D 97080 Wuerzburg, Germany
J Neurosci 25:1778-87. 2005....
- Cardiotrophin-1 in choroid plexus and the cerebrospinal fluid circulatory systemA L Gard
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, 2038 Medical Sciences Building, University of South Alabama College of Medicine, Mobile, AL 36688 0002, USA
Neuroscience 127:43-52. 2004..A rationale for studies examining CT-1-deficient mice in these respects is provided by the data...
- cDNA cloning of rat cardiotrophin-1 (CT-1): augmented expression of CT-1 gene in ventricle of genetically hypertensive ratsM Ishikawa
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Sakyo ku, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 219:377-81. 1996....
- Cardiotrophin-1 displays early expression in the murine heart tube and promotes cardiac myocyte survivalZ Sheng
Department of Medicine, Center for Molecular Genetics, University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine, La Jolla, 92093 0613, USA
Development 122:419-28. 1996..Thus, CT-1 may play an autocrine role during cardiac chamber growth and morphogenesis by promoting the survival and proliferation of immature myocytes, most likely via gp130-dependent signaling pathways...
- Cardiotrophin-1, a cytokine present in embryonic muscle, supports long-term survival of spinal motoneuronsD Pennica
Department of Molecular Biology, Genentech Incorporated, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Neuron 17:63-74. 1996..CT-1 may be important in normal motoneuron development and as a potential tool for slowing motoneuron degeneration in human diseases...
- Human cardiotrophin-1: protein and gene structure, biological and binding activities, and chromosomal localizationD Pennica
Department of Molecular Biology, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Cytokine 8:183-9. 1996..7 kb CT-1 mRNA is expressed in adult human heart, skeletal muscle, ovary, colon, prostate and testis and in fetal kidney and lung. The coding region of CT-1 is contained on three exons and is located on human chromosome 16p11.1-16p11.2...
- Regulation of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 in fibroblasts and acute phase proteins in hepatocytes in vitro by mouse oncostatin M, cardiotrophin-1, and IL-6C D Richards
Department of Pathology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Immunol 159:2431-7. 1997..These results also suggest that mOSM is an important cytokine in inflammation, through modulation of fibroblast function as well as hepatocyte responses...
- Synergistic effects of schwann- and muscle-derived factors on motoneuron survival involve GDNF and cardiotrophin-1 (CT-1)V Arce
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U 382, Marseille, France
J Neurosci 18:1440-8. 1998..The possibility that they act together on individual motoneurons suggests that the motoneuron must integrate distinct signals from different cellular partners when deciding whether to die or to survive...
- Isolation and characterization of the murine cardiotrophin-1 gene: expression and norepinephrine-induced transcriptional activationM Funamoto
Department of Molecular Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, 565 0871, Japan
J Mol Cell Cardiol 32:1275-84. 2000..These data suggest that the CT-1 gene expression is regulated, at least partially, by transcriptional machinery...
- Involvement of reactive oxygen species in cardiotrophin-1-induced proliferation of cardiomyocytes differentiated from murine embryonic stem cellsHeinrich Sauer
Department of Neurophysiology, University of Cologne, D 50931 Cologne, Germany
Exp Cell Res 294:313-24. 2004..It is concluded that CT-1 stimulates the proliferation of ES cell-derived cardiomyocytes by signaling pathways that involve ROS as signaling molecules in the signal transduction cascade...
- Neuropoietin, a new IL-6-related cytokine signaling through the ciliary neurotrophic factor receptorDamien Derouet
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale U564, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire d Angers, 4 rue Larrey, 49033 Angers, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:4827-32. 2004..Thus, NP is a new ligand for CNTFRalpha, with important implications for murine nervous system development...
- Cardiotrophin-1 is a key regulator of glucose and lipid metabolismMaria J Moreno-Aliaga
Department of Nutrition, Food Sciences, Physiology and Toxicology, University of Navarra, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
Cell Metab 14:242-53. 2011..We conclude that CT-1 is a master regulator of fat and glucose metabolism with potential applications for treatment of obesity and insulin resistance...